Nadal (2) def. Horna 6:4 4:6 6:4 6:2 after good baseline battle . [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal (2) def. Horna 6:4 4:6 6:4 6:2 after good baseline battle .

marcelwks
08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
After loosing 1 set 4:6 now he won second 6:4 . He plays "Blake style" ;) . Strong serve , big flat forehand , nice backhand. He moves really well and Nadal has problems with his bombs . But his condition can be problem .
So what you think ?

Nadal *1-0 in third.

----

Pfloyd
08-31-2006, 07:10 PM
hmmmm

The HAAS Admirer
08-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Rafa will win, but I am dissapointed in his performance today, he had a lapse in the second after leading, and if he doesnt pick it up he wont survive too many matches.

magnoliaewan
08-31-2006, 07:28 PM
I don't want to make useless predictions but this Horna guy is impressing me and he is also super amusing. Quite a character, kind of like Baghdatis.

marcelwks
08-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah Lucho is crazy . He had big chance to stay in the third set . Maybe he will give fight in the fourt . Good match :)

Naranoc
08-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Why, what's the score in the third set now?

The HAAS Admirer
08-31-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't want to make useless predictions but this Horna guy is impressing me and he is also super amusing. Quite a character, kind of like Baghdatis.

I dont like him, anyone who is that dramatic he should be an actor not a fucki*ing tennis player, he runs like half way trough the game celebrating and saying Vamos and laughing when someone makes a mistake, I really dislike this guy he is horrible, go grow some hair!!!
And Nadal is playing idiotically, tried to overpower the guy, and than being way too defensive its :mad:

By the way the Horna guy is talented, he is very very powerful of both wings and has a solid serve, but I really dislike him :o
I have lost all respect for that ihue puta!!!

marcelwks
08-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Nadal won 6:4 third

The HAAS Admirer
anyway sorry for the people who like him, no offense I just dont like him, but thats my opinion!

Saumon
does Rafa have some kind of fetichism with the 6-4 score? :scratch:

magnoliaewan
08-31-2006, 07:38 PM
I dont like him, anyone who is that dramatic he should be an actor not a fucki*ing tennis player, he runs like half way trough the game celebrating and saying Vamos and laughing when someone makes a mistake,

You sound like you're describing Nadal down to a tee except Nadal throws in dirty, angry looks to his opponents as well.

Naranoc
does Rafa have some kind of fetichism with the 6-4 score?

Yes, it does seem like that :lol:. For Nadal, scores like 6-0 and 6-1 are rare for him; he usually does just enough to win i.e. breaks his opponent once.

atheneglaukopis
does Rafa have some kind of fetichism with the 6-4 score? :scratch:Yes. I've noticed this time and time again in his matches--his favorite time to break is either at 4-4 or 5-4, depending on when his opponent serves. It looks almost like a conscious strategy to me.

t0x
08-31-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm suprised Horna even got a set :|

He seems to be playing pretty well. Troubling Nadal the same way Blake does, he's just not as good at it...

magnoliaewan
08-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Poor Horna. Got a bad call. He should've challenged. But it's not the job of players to challenge really, the stupid linesmen and umpire should make the right calls in the first place.

marcelwks
08-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Chair referee made bad mistake for Horna

The HAAS Admirer
08-31-2006, 07:50 PM
You sound like you're describing Nadal down to a tee except Nadal throws in dirty, angry looks to his opponents as well.

umgh whatever, Nadal might say Vamos and get pumped up but he never acts like a jackass, they just screwed Nadal on a point and he didnt say anything, didnt queston it even, next point they screwed Horna and he went crazy, not to mention every word that comes from Horna's mouth is puta o mierda, Nadal is known as one of the nicest guys on the atp tour, like hi or hate him, he always has time to sign autographs and is always gracious in winning and lossing and he is 10 times more charesmatic than Horna, sorry that is just my opinion, we all have different opinions and thats okay
to me Horna is a **************. sorry, this isnt the first match I have tought that and it wont be the last, he is always acting like a imbecil.

The HAAS Admirer
08-31-2006, 07:50 PM
Chair referee made bad mistake for Horna

so what the point before he made a mistake for Nadal its even

The HAAS Admirer
08-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Poor Horna. Got a bad call. He should've challenged. But it's not the job of players to challenge really, the stupid linesmen and umpire should make the right calls in the first place.

the point prior was in for Nadal and they called it out, so I think its about even.

supersexynadal
08-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Hornas inconsistent in the match itself. Hes got more winners but the guy gets pumped up after two great shots and follows it by a simple backhand error

Scotso
08-31-2006, 07:54 PM
I actually have to agree with Haas admirer here. I saw Horna play a match live, and the guy was a complete ass. He was faking cramps, complaining about calls, took a bathroom break late in a third set tiebreak, and served underhanded drop shots to try to throw off his opponent. I can't stand him.

prima donna
08-31-2006, 07:55 PM
I actually have to agree with Haas admirer here. I saw Horna play a match live, and the guy was a complete ass. He was faking cramps, complaining about calls, took a bathroom break late in a third set tiebreak, and served underhanded drop shots to try to throw off his opponent. I can't stand him.

Do you have absolutely anything better to do other than complain like a little girl?

Naranoc
08-31-2006, 08:01 PM
:rolleyes: Now we can't even give our opinions?
Horna is crazy, he keeps mumbling to himself whenever he misses a shot, and 53 unforced errors! :eek:

supersexynadal
08-31-2006, 08:05 PM
umgh whatever, Nadal might say Vamos and get pumped up but he never acts like a jackass, they just screwed Nadal on a point and he didnt say anything, didnt queston it even, next point they screwed Horna and he went crazy, not to mention every word that comes from Horna's mouth is puta o mierda, Nadal is known as one of the nicest guys on the atp tour, like hi or hate him, he always has time to sign autographs and is always gracious in winning and lossing and he is 10 times more charesmatic than Horna, sorry that is just my opinion, we all have different opinions and thats okay
to me Horna is a **************. sorry, this isnt the first match I have tought that and it wont be the last, he is always acting like a imbecil.

Exactly. I totally agree. Now everones going poor horna por horna just coz the umpire didnt over rule on an obious shot. I wont try to convince people that nadal isnt the jackass they think he is and thats hes a rlly nice guy coz they wont accept that he owns federer.(More or less) He didnt act like a clown when horna did and horna KNOWS nadals back hand was obiously in.

you dont have to like nadal just coz hornas not seeded doesnt meanhes inferior to nadal or something. Hes still human and needs to act like one.

marcelwks
08-31-2006, 08:08 PM
You can now discuss about match :)

atheneglaukopis
08-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Looks like Rafa decided to throw in a 6-2 after all. :)

mallorn
08-31-2006, 08:16 PM
Rafa said yesterday after the match that he had a stomach problem. I suspect that's why he wasn't as energetic as normally and had a lapse in the second set.

I'm relieved it didn't go to five, this time it would definitely not have favoured Rafa.

Horna was very pumped up and played some great points. The point he won to break Rafa back in the second set could be the point of the tournament.

knight_ley
08-31-2006, 08:16 PM
What a great match!
:bigclap: to Horna. He played great. And I loved the ovation he got when he walked off. :yeah:

Vamos Rafa!!!

NaDALiTa
08-31-2006, 08:21 PM
http://rylfr.free.fr/smiley/fete/00000791.gif
http://rylfr.free.fr/smiley/fete/00000784.gif
http://rylfr.free.fr/smiley/fete/00000800.gifhttp://rylfr.free.fr/smiley/fete/00000821.gif
http://rylfr.free.fr/smiley/fete/00000791.gif

The HAAS Admirer
08-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Great job Rafa, I hope it wasnt the stomache that was bothering him, anyway the important thing here is that RAFA won:)
Congrads Rafa by the way the Spanish are kicking ass so far today with Rafa, Fernando, Tommy, David about to win and with Feli who seems to be struggling now but I still think he will win

VAMOS

Primal
08-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Many people look good playing with Nadal, but as a result Nadal is in the next round.

Regenbogen
08-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Horna was really good for a lot of that match...congrats to Nadal for making it through :D

connectolove
08-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Horna tried his best, and I guess that he decided not to be the silent one :)

Nadal won at the end and I hope that he wins the next match.

GO NADAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neverstopfightin
08-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Rafa said yesterday after the match that he had a stomach problem. I suspect that's why he wasn't as energetic as normally and had a lapse in the second set.

I didn't see Rafa physically limited nor tired nor less energetic ( I couldn't see the last set )

Today he simply played worse than yesterday .

Castafiore
08-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Very relieved that he's won this but I can't really say that I'm impressed with this match

He started very well, confident but started to play in a style that was too defensive at times in the second set. He really needs to go for the points more on fast hardcourts.
Plus, Horna started to attack and that tends to make Rafa go too far behind the baseline to return instead of pushing forward. Horna didn't show any fear after the first set and it paid off at times.

I'm really taking each match at a time with Rafa so I'm just happy he's won this match and we'll see what happens next.

Scotso
08-31-2006, 08:29 PM
Do you have absolutely anything better to do other than complain like a little girl?

You're not the only person who knows homophobic Italian slang. Don't you have anything better to do than stalk me? Pathetic.

Scotso
08-31-2006, 08:30 PM
congrats Rafa :D

MariaV
08-31-2006, 08:31 PM
I didn't see Rafa physically limited nor tired nor less energetic ( I couldn't see the last set )

He had some stomach problem yesterday so obvioulsy he couldn't be as intense as usually but he looked OK and did what he needed to in the end.
To me he looked somewhat less energetic than usually but he has time to rest & regroup now.

Neverstopfightin
08-31-2006, 08:34 PM
He had some stomach problem yesterday so obvioulsy he couldn't be as intense as usually but he looked OK and did what he needed to in the end.
To me he looked somewhat less energetic than usually but he has time to rest & regroup now.

Reading his press conference are you able to translate into intelligible words what kind of stomach problem he had ?? . Because apart from knowing he had a stomach problem ( stomach problem can mean a lot of things ) his answer in englsh is a nightmare .

I don't like to find excuses . To me he played simply a mediocre match where the physical condition hadn't nothing to do with his performance.

Against Ferrero in Ciny in the first set he was already tired, but today I haven't seen no physical issue

mallorn
08-31-2006, 08:37 PM

He did play worse than yesterday, but only from the middle of the second set. He looked less bouncy than normally, and I'm definitely not the only person who thought so. ;)

justClaudia
08-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Great match Lucho!!!!! I loved the crowd in the end. :worship:

Congrats Rafa. :D

MariaV
08-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Reading his press conference are you able to translate into intelligible words what kind of stomach problem he had ?? . Because apart from knowing he had a stomach problem ( stomach problem can mean a lot of things ) his answer in englsh is a nightmare .

I don't like to find excuses . To me he played simply a mediocre match where the physical condition hadn't nothing to do with his performance.

Against Ferrero in Ciny in the first set he was already tired, but today I haven't seen no physical issue
Haaahaaa, try yourself if you call this a mediocre performance, he has simply set the standard so high that you don't expect him to have some lapses.
And yes, he probably was OK physically but that sure affected his confidence that's why he wasn't playing as aggressively as he does when at his best and didn't make the best decisions always.

Clara Bow
08-31-2006, 08:41 PM
I agree that Nadal did not play as well yesterday. But at least he acknowledged in his on court interview that he was too far behind the baseline and needed to be more aggresive, so hopefully he will change his tactics like he was able to do more at Wimbles.

mallorn
08-31-2006, 08:41 PM

I didn't just read his conference, Eurosport showed it all today. At the beginning and end he had his head on the table, and although he tried to shrug it off, he looked unwell. I hope he'll be 100% for the next match.

scoobs
08-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Respect to Rafa - a good win for him.

I take my hat off to Horna.

To the Wankers, moaners, tankers and chokers: take note - THAT is how you fight for a match even if you're not going to win it. You don't put your head down, you don't surrender, you keep fighting for every point.

And Horna got his deserved recognition for his efforts by the crowd.

liisa
08-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Oh Madre! Of course he's ok! He had stomach problems around 2 pm yesterday..let's not make an issue of non-issue :rolleyes:

DDrago2
08-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Many people look good playing with Nadal, but as a result Nadal is in the next round.

Toronto, Cincinaty?

Sparko1030
08-31-2006, 08:48 PM
Respect to Rafa - a good win for him.

I take my hat off to Horna.

To the Wankers, moaners, tankers and chokers: take note - THAT is how you fight for a match even if you're not going to win it. You don't put your head down, you don't surrender, you keep fighting for every point.

And Horna got his deserved recognition for his efforts by the crowd.

:yeah: Exactly what I thought about Horna's play today! I'm happy for Rafa but I have new respect for Louis!

mallorn
08-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Oh Madre! Of course he's ok! He had stomach problems around 2 pm yesterday..let's not make an issue of non-issue :rolleyes:
It's not like I want Rafa to have a stomach problem :rolleyes: I'll be very happy if he says he feels 100%. I'm just talking about what I saw, and stomach problems can be energy-sapping. :shrug:

MariaV
08-31-2006, 08:55 PM
and stomach problems can be energy-sapping. :shrug:
They not only can be but they are energy-sapping, at least from my experience. ;)

scoobs
08-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Maybe they are but he won, he has a day off, he'll be fine for R3 and so there's no need to worry about it?

Clara Bow
08-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Personally, I don't think the stomach was an issue. I just think he got too defensive. Yesterday was an up day in terms of play, today was a "meh" day. But he had a "meh" day at Wimbles against Kendrick, and was able to get better as a result of that, so perhaps the same will happen here.

RedFury
08-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Freakin' Peruvian was hitting outta his shoes -- his forehand was en fuego. But, in the end, it was all to no avail. Playing like he did, he probably would have beaten 95% of the Tour players 2day, just not Rafa.

Nadal simply told himself: "basta ya!*" and proceeded to make ceviche outta Hornas.

Seriously entertaining match anyway.

*Enough already!

MariaV
08-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Maybe they are but he won, he has a day off, he'll be fine for R3 and so there's no need to worry about it?
Yes, of course there's no reason to worry. He'll be fine on Saturday. :) End of discussion form my part, Im off. :wavey:

Fergie
08-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Nice try Lucho :hug:

musefanatic
08-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Horna was, well, i thought he'd roll over and die but he was so good! So brave and courageou, never giving up on any points!! I think in the last few games he got a bit discouraged but that's gonna happen anyway.

Well done Luis, played a match that you shoudl be prouf of and took a set off Nadders too! :)

Nadal was pretty amazing too, the on the run forehand, amazing!!

Adler
08-31-2006, 09:15 PM
I must say I'm surprised. I thought it's gonna be a match like 6-3 6-2 6-2 for Nadal, but Horna made an admirable opposition. He lost to Rafa like Mathieu - he was not winning points that he just couldn't lose. All those UEs were the reason of the loss

Rafa didn't show anything special today. He just play good enough to win. He could even do it in str8 sets, but he just lost concentration

NYCtennisfan
08-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Give Horna some credit. He was hitting big, flat FH's and running Nadal around. Nadal wasn't physically limited at all. He was running everything down and, as usual, sending the ball back into neutral postions in rallies where it looked like Horna had hit a winner. Horna hit some good serves as well. Other than that 2nd set, Nadal wasn't challenged all that much on his serve.

One thing Nadal can do to make his serve games more effective is to work on that serve out wide on the AD side. He hits the ball up the T almost every time (to his opponents' bhs) and they start cheating towards their BHs. Horna was receiving the serve a good 12 inches to the left of where he would normally receive serve. A lot of times he just guessed it was going to his BH. Nadal missed some 1st serves out wide where Horna had already guessed going to his left. If Nadal can work on that serve, he will become even more difficult to break.

EasternWind
08-31-2006, 09:28 PM
A very energetic match and Rafa is in the third round. Horna played some excellent shots though and proved that he has some game. Too bad he couldn't be more consistant with them.

vincayou
08-31-2006, 09:46 PM
Just saw the first set. Horna must work his dropshot and volley.

Pfloyd
08-31-2006, 09:48 PM
At least Nadal is not making the same # of unforced errors he was making in the previous master series events. Also, Horna probably played one of the best matches in his career and STILL lost, so good effort from Horna, and a good win for Rafa. Does him good to play on-form players now, this way, he's ready for the tougher oppoenents in the later rounds. Nadal'll be okay for Monfils.

Sunset of Age
09-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Horna did a great job, but Rafa is just too good...

VAMOS, RAFA!

cmurray
09-01-2006, 12:51 AM
I think that was an important match for Rafa. Doesn't he always have 1 tough early round match? He did at Wimby AND the French as I recall.

Horna played AWESOME today. I applaud him for not giving up. Rafa perhaps wasn't as crisp as yesterday, but he still looked pretty good to me. He never EVER gives up. It's the thing I like best about his game.

megadeth
09-01-2006, 01:06 AM
because when you're a big hitter against a retriever, the retriever doesn't have much time to get to the ball.

that's the key against nadal. the problem is, being a big hitter makes you more prone to errors...

Neely
09-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Seemed like a good match, congrats Rafa for winning it and to both guys! :yeah:
:banana:

I'm sorry, but it IS the job of the player to challenge calls, if possible, and to judge whether to challenge or not, especially if it could be critical situation or a looming turning point of the match. Of course, in a perfect world, no challenges would be needed because every umpire would make 100% right decisions every time. But basically I agree with you, that the umpires sometimes do a bad job and I can completely understand it if a player gets into arguments with them.

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 07:17 AM
It seems like some people have never seen Horna play before.

Nadal was too classy in the end.

Sparko1030
09-01-2006, 07:33 AM
It seems like some people have never seen Horna play before.

Nadal was too classy in the end.

Well, he doesn't get much air time here in the US is all I can say in my defense :p

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Well, he doesn't get much air time here in the US is all I can say in my defense :p

His first final was in a US event.

admiralpye
09-01-2006, 11:05 AM

Oh, it's you and your "only-Rafa-throws-dirty-looks-on-court" whining. Every chance you get, huh?

If you even really watched the matches you'd see that Rafa is careful to look somewhere other than the player directly when yelling Vamos! He doesn't "stare down" anyone.

Except for that time when he gave one disbelieving look at Verdasco who was faking injury in Stella Artois. And Rome final when Federer said a ball was long and pointed to the wrong ball mark on clay.

But no, you only see what you want to see, which are clips of him yelling and looking in the opposite court, where the opponent is NOT there, if you bothered to watch the matches.

Also, Horna towards the end, had challenges left in the last 2-3 games of the fourth set, but he refused to use them and, as the commentator said, "tried to get the sympathy of the crowd by acting like the line calls were unfair." But he refuses to challenge because he knows he's wrong. THAT'S great acting right there.

Go watch at least one WHOLE MATCH of tennis, would you?

oz_boz
09-01-2006, 11:06 AM
A lot of players can take a set from Rafa, but they have to play at a level so high that they can't keep it up for a whole match. Horna's great effort yesterday reminded me of Puerta's and Mathieu's matches against Rafa in RG, or Gaudio at MC.

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 11:38 AM
A lot of players can take a set from Rafa, but they have to play at a level so high that they can't keep it up for a whole match. Horna's great effort yesterday reminded me of Puerta's and Mathieu's matches against Rafa in RG, or Gaudio at MC.

There were certain parallels to that match, but that is the key cause Nadal is always around and that the concentration levels have to be very high and any chance has to be taken.

RogiFan88
09-01-2006, 02:09 PM
tough matches only strengthen Rafa's resolve and make him even more competitive, if you can imagine that -- he loves the battle and he likes to suffer to attain his ultimate goal, which is winning the title; so it's no use taking a set or two off him if you either aren't fit enough or tough enough to go the distance -- most players fail in the physical or mental or worse, both aspects and they have no chance at all vs. Rafa; of course most players just aren't anywhere near his level of tennis in the first place and they know it and they are beaten before they step on the court

Sparko1030
09-01-2006, 05:47 PM
His first final was in a US event.

:awww: I missed it....