Roddick dt. Pless 6-3, 7-6 (3), 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick dt. Pless 6-3, 7-6 (3), 6-3

~*BGT*~
08-31-2006, 03:55 AM
He played a little more tentatively compared to Cincy. But only losing 10 points total on serve all night is domination on that aspect. On to round 3! And, happy 24th birthday! :hug:

Jlee
08-31-2006, 03:57 AM
The serve was good, the rest was...okay. I'm glad that he looked unhappy with it as well. He'll raise the level in the next round.

Survive and advance...

tangerine_dream
08-31-2006, 04:03 AM
His serve was frickin' awesome. 98% first serve percentage. :eek: Held to love 10 times? Unreal. :bowdown:

But the rest of his game was bad and he was obviously unhappy with his play. He couldn't find his groove, he was playing tenative again, the forehand went MIA. Ay. :o Hopefully he'll shake the last of his nerves off and get back in his peacock strutting mode.

But now he can relax and celebrate. Happy24th Birthday to our embattled, loveable Ducky (not you, Jerry). :bdaycake: :dance:

Regenbogen
08-31-2006, 04:13 AM
He wasn't great but he was alright when he needed to be and he won :D

I'm glad he didn't lose on his birthday again, that would have been awful

lordmanji
08-31-2006, 04:18 AM
nice analyses of roddick's game. imo, roddick played exactly like he had before cincy: yards behind baseline on rallies which gave way to many neutral/defensive/weak shots. his one saving grace was pless' complete inability to return roddick's serve and keep balls in play. pless gave the game away. roddick was right to look unhappy after the match because although he can cream players like pless w/ that level of play, top ten players will take him to school. no breaks on pless' serve in the 2nd is unacceptable. the theme all year long has been roddick gets to third or fourth round and gets sent packing by a real top 10, top 20 player. he'll need to go back to a cincy state of mind if he is to pose any real challenge to make it to the final.

Neely
08-31-2006, 04:33 AM
Congrats, Andy! :)

and now celebrate because of two reasons ;) :aparty: :bdaycake:

knight_ley
08-31-2006, 04:34 AM
:aparty:

partygirl
08-31-2006, 04:38 AM
Jimmy better take it out on Andy's birthday ass tonight (they are dating you know)
that was not what they discussed doing i'm sure.

at least he's not a loser:rolleyes: on his special day again, that deserves a big :clap2:

morningglory
08-31-2006, 04:45 AM
with 98% serve in the ducky is invinc. :yeah:

partygirl
08-31-2006, 05:01 AM
:scared: :help:
:haha:

rofe
08-31-2006, 05:10 AM
Happy b'day Andy. Monster serving display today. I think Andy has improved his kick serve. I don't know why he seemed tentative on his groundies but made up for it by being aggressive on his service returns.

RonE
08-31-2006, 06:41 AM
Well done :yeah:

El Legenda
08-31-2006, 06:44 AM
:yawn: thats how i felt after watching 5min of this match...i have more fun watching windows start up everytime i turn on my computer.

shrudy
08-31-2006, 06:58 AM
he didn't serve at 98%, that's impossible. i think he won 98% of his first serve points rather.

mrserenawilliams
08-31-2006, 07:11 AM
good win Andy!! Happy B-day

El Legenda
08-31-2006, 07:13 AM
he didn't serve at 98%, that's impossible. i think he won 98% of his first serve points rather.

roddick fans are not good with stats, numbers, reading, stuff like that :wavey:

partygirl
08-31-2006, 07:29 AM
I'm good at Hotness :hearts: and objectification.

Honalulu78
08-31-2006, 08:22 AM
well done to Andy for the win

Adler
08-31-2006, 10:33 AM
I think the real test is gonna be Baghdatis/Agassi (if he would still be alive) in 4R . Baggy can start another killing spree, like in Australia, while Andre might remind what does a good return mean

richie21
08-31-2006, 11:34 AM
nice analyses of roddick's game. imo, roddick played exactly like he had before cincy: yards behind baseline on rallies which gave way to many neutral/defensive/weak shots. his one saving grace was pless' complete inability to return roddick's serve and keep balls in play. pless gave the game away. roddick was right to look unhappy after the match because although he can cream players like pless w/ that level of play, top ten players will take him to school. no breaks on pless' serve in the 2nd is unacceptable. the theme all year long has been roddick gets to third or fourth round and gets sent packing by a real top 10, top 20 player. he'll need to go back to a cincy state of mind if he is to pose any real challenge to make it to the final.

in my opinion,he'll have to play even better than that if he faces Gasquet in 1/4 final....especially if Gasquet goes back to his Toronto's form

Bilbo
08-31-2006, 11:44 AM
funny how the most patriotic tournament on tour is giving andy more rest than others

~*BGT*~
08-31-2006, 11:51 AM
funny how the most patriotic tournament on tour is giving andy more rest than others
They gave Agassi 2 days. he played Monday night and now Thursday night.

nobama
08-31-2006, 01:45 PM
funny how the most patriotic tournament on tour is giving andy more rest than othersLast year Federer played Tuesday at 11am (a match that lasted just over an hour) and then didn't play again until Friday night. With R1 spread over three days that's what happens.

Golfnduck
08-31-2006, 01:50 PM
His serve was frickin' awesome. 98% first serve percentage. :eek: Held to love 10 times? Unreal. :bowdown:

But the rest of his game was bad and he was obviously unhappy with his play. He couldn't find his groove, he was playing tenative again, the forehand went MIA. Ay. :o Hopefully he'll shake the last of his nerves off and get back in his peacock strutting mode.

But now he can relax and celebrate. Happy24th Birthday to our embattled, loveable Ducky (not you, Jerry). :bdaycake: :dance:
He was playing more tentatively than before. But he realized it and he has two days to practice and work things out. Good win though.

Jimnik
08-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Happy Bday Andy :aparty: :bdaycake:

Fumus
08-31-2006, 02:49 PM
He won't play this way if he faces someone good, it's easy to have let downs against lesser players...two weeks ago he faced nothing but quality opponents from the 3rd round on and he played well. A true champion can win even without his best stuff, just ask Roger or Pete who have won entire tournements playing sloppy. Andy did enough to win in straight sets and dominated in the tb when he had to. Andy used to be sooo clutch in tbs so I was happy he won one early in the tournement and progressed.

Fumus
08-31-2006, 02:54 PM

Yea, we suck with all that reading and numbers but, I was perceptive enough to notice Ivan out first round....please take your hostility somewhere else, I read your posts and I know you can be pretty insightful when it comes to tennis, why then troll a Roddick thread? :)

Super-Fabio
08-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Andy :D

Donny
08-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Bleh. Sometimes what's good for Roddick is good for the TV network, which - surprise - is a business that needs ratings. Sometimes what's good for Roddick and the TV network is also good for the sport itself, which needs those viewers to help get healthier in the USA.

But your shit stirring comment is just as reasonable, I guess.

binkygirl
09-01-2006, 03:12 AM
Andy is going to have to fight in every match. The other players are not afraid of him anymore. Is the fact that other players started catching on to his game the reason that he started camping out behind the baseline?

partygirl
09-01-2006, 03:17 AM
No.
it is a very bad habit formed by some runt of a kid that doesn't exist anymore,
-yet he uses it.

Ducky trolls Roddick threads because he loves me.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/love037.gif

binkygirl
09-01-2006, 03:21 AM
I want to pinch him when he starts that camping out behind the baseline stuff. Its definitive proof that Andy has moments of fear on the court. It must be some sort of mental problem.