Murray def. Kendrick 6-2 1-6 6-3 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray def. Kendrick 6-2 1-6 6-3 6-3

Regenbogen
08-31-2006, 12:58 AM
WTF at the score, but still :woohoo:

Andre♥
08-31-2006, 12:59 AM
Murray is a great player, but he isn't fit. He had no fuel in the end and Kendrick had to choke on his last serve to give Murray the win. Murray won with a DF, because he couldn't serve anymore.

It's a shame such talent has been wasted like that.

scoobs
08-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Did you watch the match?

Murray had plenty of gas in the tank at the end and Kendrick was looking very tired, but Kendrick kept swinging freely and showed flashes of brilliance while Murray got a but sloppy and eased off instead of pushing for the finish line.

Kendrick's a very streaky player - that second set was all him, he was playing at his very best, but he couldn't keep it up nearly long enough and Murray outlasted him, quite simply.

Not the best match from the young Scot by any standards but he did enough and he didn't take too long about it either.

My assessment: "That'll do - but sterner stuff is coming so improvement needed"

Lullaby
08-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Murray is a great player, but he isn't fit. He had no fuel in the end and Kendrick had to choke on his last serve to give Murray the win. Murray won with a DF, because he couldn't serve anymore.

It's a shame such talent has been wasted like that.

Brad will get him fit and someone will teach him to get his serves in lol

He has time on his side - He had a good test there imo

Kendrick had good practice coming through qualies and pushed nadal hard at wimbledon - He was no mug though clearly a player murray should beat

scoobs
08-31-2006, 01:05 AM
I'm not getting where this "Murray was tired" is coming from - it's like a stock response at the end of a Murray match.

I just sat and watched the whole match and Murray did not look tired at the end. He got a bit careless and let Kendrick have another bite at the cherry at the end of that fourth set but he looked like he could go another hour or two to me.

Lullaby
08-31-2006, 01:08 AM
I'm not getting where this "Murray was tired" is coming from - it's like a stock response at the end of a Murray match.

I just sat and watched the whole match and Murray did not look tired at the end. He got a bit careless and let Kendrick have another bite at the cherry at the end of that fourth set but he looked like he could go another hour or two to me.

I dont think he was tired at all today - I do know he is not fit enough to win round after round after round in long matches at this time though.

The 1st serve is more of concern to me at present - He is making it much harder on himself

Andre♥
08-31-2006, 01:13 AM
Did you watch the match?

Murray had plenty of gas in the tank at the end and Kendrick was looking very tired, but Kendrick kept swinging freely and showed flashes of brilliance while Murray got a but sloppy and eased off instead of pushing for the finish line.

Kendrick's a very streaky player - that second set was all him, he was playing at his very best, but he couldn't keep it up nearly long enough and Murray outlasted him, quite simply.

Not the best match from the young Scot by any standards but he did enough and he didn't take too long about it either.

My assessment: "That'll do - but sterner stuff is coming so improvement needed"

I did watch the match since 5-0 in the 4th set. And or Murray was tired or he was just over-confident. His last serve games were a joke. Come on, he has a great serve, but he was serving like Christophe Rochus! Kendrick was attacking his serve like he wanted. That can't happen against Gonzalez or Federer.

scoobs
08-31-2006, 01:14 AM
:yeah:

I agree entirely with that - his match today was 2 hours and a bit, so not too dramatic, but no doubt he made it harder for himself than he needed and early on he could do with wrapping them up nice and quick. His first serve % is a bit better this week judging by that match, but still plenty of room for more improvement there.

Lullaby
08-31-2006, 01:15 AM
I did watch the match since 5-0 in the 4th set. And or Murray was tired or he was just over-confident. His last serve games were a joke. Come on, he has a great serve, but he was serving like Christophe Rochus! Kendrick was attacking his serve like he wanted. That can't happen against Gonzalez or Federer.

Agreed on the last point but he has regularly been around the 50% 1st serve for the past few months. 1st serve is great when it goes in but accuracy is all over the place at the moment!

revolution
08-31-2006, 01:15 AM
Kendrick appears to be a bit of a Tursunov-esque player.

Andy did the basics okay just too passive but he'll improve next round.

scoobs
08-31-2006, 01:16 AM
So right at the end - yes, as I say, he got a bit sloppy and careless.

Kendrick earlier on was all over the second serve, hitting outrageous clean winners and I think Murray was a bit wary of how and where to serve - he wanted to get a lot of firsts in but knew they had to be reasonably good.

Nobody has attacked the Murray second serve like that all summer - somewhat bizarrely, when you think about it - he's offered SO many of them to be hit against various players but only Robert Kendrick wanted to step up and bat it away.

Corey Feldman
08-31-2006, 01:19 AM
Good win Muzza.
lets light it up from here on..

cmurray
08-31-2006, 01:24 AM
Firstly, how does Murray=Muzza? My last name is Murray and nobody ever called me Muzza before. :)

I like Andy. I love that he's all sloth-like off the court, but moves really well on-court. I think he's going to make a decently deep run at the USO. He has some really good talent.

Cheryl

Neely
08-31-2006, 01:29 AM
Congrats, Murray! :)
He could have bagelled Kendrick in the fourth set.

*Viva Chile*
08-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Well done Andy, but what happened in 2nd set?

scoobs
08-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Congrats, Murray! :)
He could have bagelled Kendrick in the fourth set.
He SHOULD have bagelled him in the fourth set.

Apart from his stamina and his serve, he needs to work on closing matches out quickly when the opportunity presents itself.

scoobs
08-31-2006, 01:32 AM
Well done Andy, but what happened in 2nd set?
Kendrick was on fire - serve-volleying some, cracking amazing forehand and backhand winners.

He got in the zone and Andy got discouraged and a bit passive and unsure what to do. He hung on and sure enough, the start of the third was a huge dogfight and they scrapped hard for every point, but Andy managed to snatch it in his favour and Kendrick's play dropped right back down again.

Super-Fabio
08-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Robert :sad:

MurrayFan1
08-31-2006, 02:19 PM
I didn't see the match, but it sounds like Kendrick put up a huge fight. I still think Murray will go far though. I'd say R4 is a pretty safe bet for him, I'd be delighted with that.

adee-gee
08-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Kendrick went on a ridiculous run in the 2nd set and beginning of the 3rd, he was hitting winners from all over the place.

Andy wasn't great, but I think he knew Kendrick couldn't keep that level up and I never really felt like he'd lose, even when it was 1 set all and 2-0 to Kendrick in the 3rd.

Nice draw that he's got Di Mauro, shouldn't cause too many problems but he's gonna need to step it up if he gets to R3 and plays Gonzo.

Neely
08-31-2006, 03:06 PM
as he complained in the fourth set about a call:
"You're missing balls going 95mph right in front of your eyes! My God!"

I found that great :lol:

scoobs
08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Oh yeah that was funny as well as his "So, are you an idiot or aren't you?" comment as he walked up to the umpire :)

MurrayFan1
08-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Oh yeah that was funny as well as his "So, are you an idiot or aren't you?" comment as he walked up to the umpire :)

Hahahaha. I am assuming this Murray? :D Well, obviously.

MurrayFan1
08-31-2006, 03:11 PM
Nice draw that he's got Di Mauro, shouldn't cause too many problems

He's played like 4 Grand Slam matches in his career anyway.

scoobs
08-31-2006, 03:11 PM
Yep. He's a feisty little bugger, this one. Not afraid to get a bit arsey on an American court against an American player, even if it risks turning the crowd on you.

Adler
08-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Why everyone speaks about Murray's fitness? In Cincy he lost because of lack of fuel - right, but he played lots of matches against great players. In fact, the result of this match doesn't explait the "lack of fule" theory (6:3, not 7:5)

He can make a good run here and get to semifinals

Neely
08-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Not afraid to get a bit arsey on an American court against an American player, even if it risks turning the crowd on you.
This could become very interesting then :angel:
What I would like to see some time: Murray playing against Grosjean or another popular Frenchman in front of a sold-out Chatrier with the some of the worst lines judges and Norm Chryst umpiring... and Murray winning at the end. That would be fun! :smoke:

scoobs
08-31-2006, 03:48 PM
I thought Murray was needling Kendrick quite a lot last night, too - lots of loud YES!es when he hit a good shot, strong aggressive body language in tight moments.

MurrayFan1
08-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Pssh, if he wasn't like staring at the player at the time, I say who cares!? It brings a bit more colour to the game.

tangerine_dream
08-31-2006, 05:53 PM
The NYT has a blog for USO :yippee: I liked this entry:

Andy Murray, the 19-year-old great Scottish hope, on Court 11, against the American Robert Kendrick, before a swarm of fans. Brad Gilbert, Murray’s famous coach, presides from the front row overlooking one end of the court, as usual chatting nonstop with a friend. The crowd is youngish, not surprisingly a little British. Television doesn’t show Murray’s full petulance. He mutters, drags his feet, pesters the referee about calls. He even complains about the ball boys (too slow). He cheers himself on — but also, Hewittlike, cheers when Kendrick misses.

Is this really necessary? Does it motivate him? Is he cultivating an image of a British schoolboy punk?

Or is he a punk?

In the end, Kendrick makes too many loose shots. Like most men here, he serves big but incomprehensibly he stays back and elects to punch it out from the baseline, sacrificing whatever advantage the serve provides. He is broken in the fourth set, collapses stretching for a point near the net, then looks wasted.

Sensing blood, Gilbert rouses Murray from his perpetual funk. “TKO,” Gilbert says. “Focus.” Murray, unlovable, but with much of the crowd behind him, closes out the set and the match.

cmurray
08-31-2006, 06:10 PM
bwahahaha. I like that Murray's a little grumpy. I think it's his way of letting off steam, because after the match, he is usually pretty gracious. What I think is the most funny is how the british press is constantly calling him brave. Brave Murray. How does winning a tennis match make you brave??? :cuckoo:

scoobs
08-31-2006, 06:18 PM
He's a bit of a contradiction - in the heat of battle he will be very pugnacious and insult the umpire complain a lot, be quite rude and needle and annoy his opponents.

Then he says things after his match like he didn't want to celebrate too much when he beat Federer because he felt it would be disrespectful somehow.

musefanatic
08-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Well done andy! :) Love the arguments to the umpire, made it a whole lot more interesting! :lol:

His form was a bit iffy, to say the least i thought but the main thing is he won and hopefully he'll be better in the next round.

Regenbogen
08-31-2006, 07:21 PM
What I would like to see some time: Murray playing against Grosjean or another popular Frenchman in front of a sold-out Chatrier with the some of the worst lines judges and Norm Chryst umpiring... and Murray winning at the end. That would be fun! :smoke:
:lol: That would be great :D

revolution
08-31-2006, 07:23 PM
The umpire was wrong to call a fault on that second serve ace, I thought it was in for sure.

DrJules
08-31-2006, 07:37 PM

It is less of an issue on clay courts because they can check the ball marks easily.

tangerine_dream
09-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Unfortunately Murray seems to have picked up the same wrong-headed paranoia some Europeans employ when playing in America. Perhaps Brad could kindly remind him of the so-bad-it-was-funny horrendous calls Serena Williams (2004 vs Capriati) and Andy Roddick (2001 vs Hewitt) got at USO, just to name two? AndyMy needs to grow up and stop looking for excuses. :p

From Matt Cronin's blog:

Here's somewhat stunning comment by Murray, who says he loves playing in America and is coached by an American, Brad Gilbert. He said that the lines people were hooking him. (He was on an outside court without Hawkeye.)

"I wasn't expecting unbelievable calls," he said. "I was playing against an American in America. If you were playing in Italy and it was an Italian referee or whatever, it's always going to be a little bit … a few bad calls. I didn't have a problem with if they miss a call on the line. But when you're overruling balls on the far sideline, like three times I think he did it, and then he misses two, one ace and one of my second serve aces which was 85 miles an hour maybe, and a backhand down the line that's right in front of him, you know, that's when it's a little bit annoying."

That's a pretty immature take on officiating. This isn't the Davis Cup. I can't imagine what his take if he meets a notable American like Robby Ginepri in the quarters or James Blake in the semis.

fererrodf
09-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Good that Murray won. Anyone here thinks that Murray is a hell-of-a-cocky guy? No offense to all Murray's fan.