Defending points [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Defending points

musefanatic
08-31-2006, 01:25 AM
I've kept hearing about how players need to 'defend points' for a while now and I've never really understood the whole process and what it involves so I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to explain it to me. It's probably really simple but I don't want to talk about it without knowing what it's about cos then I'll make myself look even more stupid by trying to pretend I know about it :lol: So please, help me not look an idiot in the future and educate me!! :lol:

KaxMisha
08-31-2006, 01:31 AM
A player can only gain points from a tournament by doing better in it than he did the previous year. That means, for example, that unless Federer wins the US Open this year, his ranking will go down, because he will have a worse result than last year. If he wins, his ranking will be unchanged. He has defended his points from last year. Defending your points is doing as well in a tournament as you did last year. Losing points is doing worse and gaining points is doing better.

atheneglaukopis
08-31-2006, 01:37 AM
A player can only gain points from a tournament by doing better in it than he did the previous year. That means, for example, that unless Federer wins the US Open this year, his ranking will go down, because he will have a worse result than last year. If he wins, his ranking will be unchanged. He has defended his points from last year. Defending your points is doing as well in a tournament as you did last year. Losing points is doing worse and gaining points is doing better.Correct in general, but substitute "entry points" for "ranking"--Nadal's not going to catch up immediately even if he wins the tournament and Federer loses to Henman--and it should be noted that there exist nitty-gritty details that need not bother us here.

Jelena
08-31-2006, 01:40 AM
Additional to that, the more prize money a tournament gives out, the more points you can get for your ranking. Just to give a small example: At a challenger with prize money level 50000$ you get 5 points for a 2nd round match. But at a challenger with level 150000$ you get 9 points for a second round match. If you qualify for a tournament you get additional points too. Those points count for the Entry Ranking.

musefanatic
09-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Oh thanks for explaining it all to me guys, very much appreciated :hug:

Johnny Groove
09-01-2006, 10:49 PM
If you want the exact math:

Federer is defending USO Win (1000) points these 2 weeks
Roddick is defending USO 1st round (5) points these 2 weeks

If Federer defeats roddick in the finals, (wont happen, Roddick is going down in the semis :p ) then Federer keeps all his points, and doesnt gain any. Roddick on the other hand, was only defending 5 points from last year. He loses those 5, true, but picks up 700 for his finals run.