Blake def Monaco 6-3 7-5 7-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Blake def Monaco 6-3 7-5 7-6

marti_228
08-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Blake definetely has problems finishing a match. He was up 5-2 in the 3rd and Monaco push it to a tie break. Then, there he had several match points until he ended it.

I liked the match, Monaco was playing well and there were some good shots from both players.

I would have liked Juan to win but I knew it was going to be almost impossible, I'm glad he played well :)

Adler
08-30-2006, 11:39 PM
He also led 3-1 and had 2 BP, but it was not enough for James and suddenly it became 3-5 with Monaco serving for the match

Lucky for him he's got an easy draw (except Tursunov). He can easily defend points from last year's Open, but winning against Federer seems impossible now

Effka
08-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Pico :sad: Well at least he fought till the end. But that drop shot in the tb was just :tape:

neenah
08-30-2006, 11:43 PM
I didn't see the match but judging on how well Blake played today how far do you think he can go?

Deboogle!.
08-30-2006, 11:47 PM
I didn't see the match but judging on how well Blake played today how far do you think he can go?He'll have to clean things up a lot if he wants to go real deep, he was very streaky and choked badly, like 3 times.

neenah
08-30-2006, 11:53 PM
He'll have to clean things up a lot if he wants to go real deep, he was very streaky and choked badly, like 3 times.

Hmm. I wonder if his recent early exits are any indication as to how he's going to play. Meaning, I wonder if he's still in that form or if he's improved. It'll be interesting to see what he can do.

Deboogle!.
08-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Hmm. I wonder if his recent early exits are any indication as to how he's going to play. Meaning, I wonder if he's still in that form or if he's improved. It'll be interesting to see what he can do.He showed flashes of brilliance, but he served for the match 2 times and blew both games pretty badly and almost blew the TB. It was a little bizarre. I expect that getting through that match, which got dicey at the end, will help him, though:)

mrserenawilliams
08-30-2006, 11:56 PM
he needs to work on closing, but he'll be fine

musefanatic
08-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Well done James!! :) :)

marti_228
08-30-2006, 11:59 PM
He also led 3-1 and had 2 BP, but it was not enough for James and suddenly it became 3-5 with Monaco serving for the match

Lucky for him he's got an easy draw (except Tursunov). He can easily defend points from last year's Open, but winning against Federer seems impossible now

with Monaco serving fot the set not the match.

Yappa
08-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Geez his jumping around in the TB reminded me of Nadal.
And he looked quite angry in some moments.

neenah
08-31-2006, 12:03 AM
He showed flashes of brilliance, but he served for the match 2 times and blew both games pretty badly and almost blew the TB. It was a little bizarre. I expect that getting through that match, which got dicey at the end, will help him, though:)

I wish I could have seen it. And yeah, maybe this will give him some confidence for his next match.

Deboogle!.
08-31-2006, 12:11 AM
he needs to work on closing, but he'll be fineHe also needs to work on staying even throughout the match. He had a real bad patch there in the 2nd and Monaco then started sucking when he had to serve it out so that's how he got back into the 2nd.

I mean obviously he has the game but yeah, it's the mental aspect of playing these consistent even matches. James has always had a harder time with best of 5, probably for that simple fact - gives him more time to go up and down lol

Merton
08-31-2006, 12:19 AM
I saw the match, James was very streaky going unnecessarily for too many hit-or-miss shots. He was not thinking at all, it seemed that he was totally unaware of Monaco's presence in the court. I hope he does well here, in particular I would love to see a match against Berdych in the round of 16.

For those who are not big fans, a potential match against PHM might provide the best comedy of the 2006 US Open.

Scotso
08-31-2006, 01:20 AM
Pico :sobbing:

too bad he couldn't come back to win. that would have been sweet.

this match makes it clear why Blake can't win major tournaments. top players won't let him off the hook like Pico did.

Neely
08-31-2006, 01:23 AM
Thanks Blake for not serving it out on these first two tries ;)
So I could see Monaco a little bit longer :angel:

But damn, would have liked this match over four or five sets.
Hope Monaco gets some good results soon, he could do much better and hopefully will soon. I think he made a good progress the this season overall, but his ranking isn't reflecting it yet...

marti_228
08-31-2006, 01:47 AM
Thanks Blake for not serving it out on these first two tries ;)
So I could see Monaco a little bit longer :angel:

But damn, would have liked this match over four or five sets.
Hope Monaco gets some good results soon, he could do much better and hopefully will soon. I think he made a good progress the this season overall, but his ranking isn't reflecting it yet...

ditto :wavey:

scoobs
08-31-2006, 02:00 AM
It seems like Blake is not in control of his own game at the moment - he goes through great patches and awful patches and it's like he has no idea why either is happening, and this doesn't bode well against tougher opponents than Pico.

Blake said pre-US Open that the pressure of his ranking and being #1 American has been a positive for him. I think that's a load of crap. Since Indianapolis he's been playing like a man under pressure and nothing's coming smoothly for him at the moment. I wouldn't bet on Blake getting too deep in this tournament, the way he's looking.

NYCtennisfan
08-31-2006, 02:05 AM
While he did win in straight sets, many parts of that match should be worrying for James. He played like the old James in many stretches i.e. going for wild winners from everywhere, suddenly losing confidence in all of his strokes, not being able to close, etc. The entire match was on his racquet. It was either him hitting winners or pushing Monaco around or hitting errors.

Super-Fabio
08-31-2006, 02:06 PM
James :woohoo: :woohoo:

Blue Heart24
08-31-2006, 02:12 PM
James will lose in second round! it's a save bet!

Geniey2g
08-31-2006, 02:16 PM
He'll have to clean things up a lot if he wants to go real deep, he was very streaky and choked badly, like 3 times.
Yep, yep.
A better player woulda taken his chances and jumped all over James's mistakes- gotta polish up for the next match.

WF4EVER
08-31-2006, 04:46 PM
It seems like Blake is not in control of his own game at the moment - he goes through great patches and awful patches and it's like he has no idea why either is happening, and this doesn't bode well against tougher opponents than Pico.

Blake said pre-US Open that the pressure of his ranking and being #1 American has been a positive for him. I think that's a load of crap. Since Indianapolis he's been playing like a man under pressure and nothing's coming smoothly for him at the moment. I wouldn't bet on Blake getting too deep in this tournament, the way he's looking.

I particularly agree with this part because I think it's bullshit, too. When he played Washington he wasn't sharp by any means but I thought it was all due to the fact that it was his first hc tourney and first tourney since Wimby so I expected him to shake off the negatives. After all he 'did' beat Andy in the final, not playing nearly as well as he had played in IW and Miami on HCs. But after seeing him lose all those early matches during the USOpen Series, it's become worrisome.

Not only that but this choking thing is getting on my nerves. Ever since he lost to Ancic in Hamburg he's become a chronic choker. I can't recall him choking like this before.

If he knows he can't handle the pressure of being top American and top 5 then give it back to Andy and maintain his consistency, because it seems as if a curse has fallen on him. Anyway that will happen sooner than later.

I also agree that he seems to have gone back to playing like the idiot who didn't take time to construct points properly. Yes, we all know he has some big shots but when he's missing 4 or 5 points straight, he needs to take a step back, slow down and work it out. It's like the commentators on ESPN Deportes said last night, you expect him to think things thru sensibly; after all he 'did' go to Harvard, for crying out loud. And to be honest I've been saying as much this usopenseries.

James needs to calm himself down and go back to playing like the guy who's done good by himself since last year's USO. He's got the game but he needs to learn how to deal with it mentally.