Agassi took an injection yesterday to deal with pain (article) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi took an injection yesterday to deal with pain (article)

meumar
08-30-2006, 11:13 PM
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=2006-08-30T184829Z_01_L30248283_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-TENNIS-OPEN-AGASSI.XML

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-agassiaug31,0,2932925.story?coll=la-home-sports

I wonder how much longer he will last in this tournament.....

Johnny Groove
08-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Youve been here over 2 years and this is your first post?...Welcome :wavey:

On-topic, I hope he feels better for the Baghdatis match. I dont want to see him limping off the court to end his career :sad:

Viken01
08-30-2006, 11:17 PM
noooo :sad:

partygirl
08-30-2006, 11:19 PM
I don't really understand why these injections are okay yet someone can be banned for using weed:shrug:

MisterQ
08-30-2006, 11:19 PM
This makes me even more impressed with how hard he fought on Monday night. :worship:

I hope he can persevere through this tournament.

scarecrows
08-30-2006, 11:27 PM
I don't really understand why these injections are okay yet someone can be banned for using weed:shrug:

with your theory players should be banned for using aspirin

rofe
08-30-2006, 11:33 PM

They are cortisone injections that I guess are not performance enhancing...:shrug:

meumar
08-30-2006, 11:42 PM

On-topic, I hope he feels better for the Baghdatis match. I dont want to see him limping off the court to end his career :sad:

Hi - thanks for the welcome! Actually I registered 2 years ago, and forgot about the site! -- I was away for school. I've just started logging in again a couple days ago when the US Open started.

I really hope that he's ok too - it's for me to believe that he has been with dealing with this problem for so long and hasn't retired already. I hope all these cortosone shots don't do any long term damage, and that he isn't sacrificing his long term health for this tournament.

meumar
08-30-2006, 11:43 PM
They are cortisone injections that I guess are not performance enhancing...:shrug:

I know gymnasts take cortisone injections often for their injuries -- I'm sure that they are allowed in all sports. I have heard, though, that they cause damage over the long term if a person takes too many injections.

partygirl
08-30-2006, 11:45 PM
with your theory players should be banned for using aspirin
No, i'm not objecting to Agassi's injections...i just never knew weed to be performance enhancing either.

Deboogle!.
08-30-2006, 11:45 PM
He spoke about it today on USA and my heart went out to him, it's so impressive how much he loves this game and how much he still wants to play and play well. If he didn't have this problem, i'm sure he'd still be around the top 10, his ball-striking is still amazing.

The fact that he is so scared of having to limp off the court instead of being able to walk out with his head held high is something a lot of some of these young things should take a lot from. :awww:

zaboomafoo
08-30-2006, 11:51 PM
No, i'm not objecting to Agassi's injections...i just never knew weed to be performance enhancing so i don't really see a problem if a player wanted to use that in personal time either.

maybe because weed is an illegal drug in the states, and they want to give drug-free message to the youths??

thats for avoiding things like:
if my idol use weed why not me? hey maybe if i smoke ill win the next grand slam

back on main topic, poor andre, love the game with all his heart

Hank777
08-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Man I had no Idea it had started playing up that much again :eek: ...

He skipped a tournament right b4 the US Open, I figured he did that just to be on the safe side. This is really scary ... I hope the Doctors know what their doing, you can't ignore those pain signals just like that ... it's only a few more matches ...

I'm sure Andre can last one more OPEN but, I hope that his body copes with the battles ahead ... come on Andre make it straight sets against B-datis :worship:

Jlee
08-31-2006, 02:43 AM
Aww, poor Andre. :sad:

Hopefully the injection will give him enough to make it for a couple more matches, he's really putting everything into this. C'mon Andre!

Chris Seahorse
08-31-2006, 03:25 AM
Even though it's sad to see him go for Andre's own sake I'm glad he's retiring; if he needs cortisone to play regularly that's no fun for him (to make an understatement :o), and it's not like he'd be able to play a lot longer if he keeps injecting anyway.

That's right. One often gets posters saying this player or that player should retire. I have always thought as long as a player was enjoying themselves they should keep going as long as they can UNTIL that is their body tells them its time to stop. Andre's body has definately passed that message on to Andre and its good for Andre that he has listened. Andre can look back on his career knowing he got everything out of it he was able to. He played as long and hard as he was able.

tennisforumname
08-31-2006, 03:25 AM
:sad: this goes w/o saying, but the pain must pretty serious/severe for andre's team to announce it (and for him to give a press conference on it.) usually andre shows good sportsmanship and refuses to attribute any bad playing or losses to his back pain (such as last year's final, where he was in obvious pain against federer halfway through and after the match, yet whenever reporters ask him about it, he says it wasn't bothering him.) So I think in order for him to admit something like that going into a match, he must be pretty worried.

I really admire him for all the respect he shows for his matches and opponents. I really hope he can pull through and that he gets his wish of walking away on good terms. :)

Kalliopeia
08-31-2006, 03:27 AM
Oh, poor Andre. This just breaks my heart. I hope that whatever happens he can feel good about the way this tournament has gone for him. What an amazing guy.

doublebackhand
08-31-2006, 03:41 AM
i hope he pulls thru the next match too, but i have a feeling baggy is a little too tall to climb over..

partygirl
08-31-2006, 03:42 AM
Party on Andre:yeah:

atpSUPERMAN
08-31-2006, 12:58 PM
ANDRE WILL DEFINITELY DEFEAT BAGGY

Pea
08-31-2006, 02:00 PM
End his misery, Marcos.

Scotso
08-31-2006, 07:15 PM
He's taken so many of these that he'll be bedridden at 40.

Scotso
08-31-2006, 07:15 PM

Would he perform better having had an injection? Yes. So are they performance enhancing? Yes.

Banning players for smoking weed is just stupid.

atheneglaukopis
08-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Would he perform better having had an injection? Yes. So are they performance enhancing? Yes.

Banning players for smoking weed is just stupid.
I think the criterion is not would they help someone perform better who is injured or sick? but would they help someone perform better who is healthy? By the latter criterion, aspirin, bandaging blisters, cortisone injections, and weed all fail to be performance-enhancing. Therefore I agree that banning players for smoking weed is stupid.

Scotso
08-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Well, they don't let people with colds take cold medicine... so... :shrug:

DDrago2
08-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Injection or no injection Baghda will win easily. Agassi is already history

atheneglaukopis
08-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Well, they don't let people with colds take cold medicine... so... :shrug:Then it probably contains some chemical such that, if a healthy player were to take it, it would improve his performance. Or it's like weed and they're just being stupid, who knows. I got the impression that they're reacting (or overreacting) to a the presence of a specific ingredient here, though.

Scotso
08-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Well of course it does... but if a person is sick and it will make them play at a normal level, what is wrong with that? It seems like the same general idea of giving Agassi injections to make him feel normal, no?

atheneglaukopis
08-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Well of course it does... but if a person is sick and it will make them play at a normal level, what is wrong with that? It seems like the same general idea of giving Agassi injections to make him feel normal, no?If you just have a player with a cold who needs cold medicine, sure, it's the same general idea. But if you have a player who's taking chemical X when healthy to enhance performance illegally and chemical X occurs in cough medicine, the player can either claim he was just taking cold medicine when sick, or can actually take it. Therefore the anti-doping officials feel the need to make cold medicine illegal for everyone, because they have to view everything with a suspicious eye.

suus21
08-31-2006, 09:16 PM
the shots are just painkillers and they are not forbidden. Andre won't get more muscles of it or so (instead of what Coria used) so it's legal.

name_change
08-31-2006, 11:45 PM
oh andre. :sad:

i really hope u win this damn thing!

Tennis Fool
08-31-2006, 11:48 PM

Same off-topic, I just spotted a poster named The HAAS Admirer who registered in Aug 2002, but just started posting.

Tennis Fool
08-31-2006, 11:50 PM
In 10 years when there is some kind of reunion with Becker, Edberg, Chang, Pete, Courier, Federer, Safin, Nadal, Hewitt, Rafter, etc., Agassi will be the one who is wheeled onto the speaking platform.

partygirl
08-31-2006, 11:56 PM
In 10 years when there is some kind of reunion with Becker, Edberg, Chang, Pete, Courier, Federer, Safin, Nadal, Hewitt, Rafter, etc., Agassi will be the one who is wheeled onto the speaking platform.
at least he will have tried.
who needs a life beyond 35 anyway.:spit: