USO 1R: Nadal def. The Poo 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO 1R: Nadal def. The Poo 6-4, 6-4, 6-4

oz_boz
08-30-2006, 05:29 PM
As expected, the scoreline basically tells the story. Mark still has some great game left in him, but he just can't keep it up for a whole match. Nadal put in just the effort needed to get the job done.
Rafa :hatoff:
Mark :wavey:

LLeytonRules
08-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Scud cant return for shit, alot of unforced errors by Scud!!!!He still had more winners then Nadal, Nadal basically had to get everything back and wait will slow ass Phillip destructs!!!!!Typical Nadal match.

flip_fan
08-30-2006, 05:35 PM
I think mark will take alot of positives away from this match.. he's not played a match in weeks due to a toe injury and to come out and scramble the way he did was very good.

He just lacks match fitness. Credit to nadal for playing great - but i'm proud of the effort mark put in.

*Viva Chile*
08-30-2006, 05:36 PM
And some fedtards said that Flip will do a big upset :haha:

Good job Rafa!

Pfloyd
08-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Nadal played very well, he was returning serve well, hitting the ball well with his forehand, he had few unforced errors, overall he played an awsome match. Mark did play well, but Nadal was too good. Regardless of what some may say, if Nadal were to face Roddick, the way he played today, without a doubt, Nadal woud've won.

adee-gee
08-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Good job Rafa, unfortunately I only managed to catch the last few games but he seemed to be hitting his forehand better than recent weeks :D

I'm just happy that match is out the way, I was a little :scared: about it.

sawan66278
08-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Excellent win for Nadal...what I noticed right away is that he is back to hitting his forehand well and deep...unlike in his previous two tourneys...Watch out, if he continues like this, he could win the Open...even over Roger...

LLeytonRules
08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Where u people actually watching the match?I thought Nadal played well but not great like some of u are saying.It still took him like 2 hours plus to get rid of this guy.His draw is his best weapon right now.I dont see anyone beating him.

mallorn
Rafa played a very, very solid and clean match. He only made 10 UEs, ONE in the first set. The forehand was working great again. He was very focused and pumped up.

Mark hammered down 19 aces but he just couldn't keep up with Rafa otherwise. Still, some very impressive serving. :yeah:

As for winners, the stats include service winners, so if you deduct the aces they both had 27 winners.

Castafiore
He looked a lot better than in the two previous weeks. I hope that he keeps improving. :yeah:

One thing I noticed: Philippoussis doesn't have enough patience to rally with Nadal. He wanted to rush several points that made him make quite a few errors.
I like the way Philippoussis wears his bandana, though. :)

ExpectedWinner
08-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Flip still can serve very well. However, all other aspects of his game + movement demonstrate why he's ranked outside of the top 100.

Carlita
08-30-2006, 05:44 PM
:yeah: well done chico!

:hug: sorry Mark

DrJules
08-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Key statistics was Mark's serve:

1st serve won 45 out of 48 (94%)
2nd serve won 10 out of 39 (26%)

It seem Mark was totally dependent on his first serve. Otherwise Nadal dominated in all respects.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/stats/day9/1164ms.html

oz_boz
08-30-2006, 05:45 PM
His draw is his best weapon right now.

His draw is good, but he has enough other weapons to handle his own.

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Where u people actually watching the match?I thought Nadal played well but not great like some of u are saying.It still took him like 2 hours plus to get rid of this guy.His draw is his best weapon right now.I dont see anyone beating him.

It takes him that long to beat anyone. Take this match for example. There weren't any rallies really because Flip either hit an ace, unreturned serve, big serve put away on his 1st serve and then made an error on the 2nd or 3rd shot on all the other serve points. Flip had a chance in only one serve game of Nadal's and the rest he had no chance since he can't rally at all with Nadal.

DrJules
08-30-2006, 05:47 PM

Mark was totally carried by his first serve.

t0x
08-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Nice to see Rafa improving - although it was a very boring match I found. The majority of the points were an ace or a UE from Mark. Rafa's forehand was getting a much better length which is a good sign.

DrJules
08-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Nadal played very well, he was returning serve well, hitting the ball well with his forehand, he had few unforced errors, overall he played an awsome match. Mark did play well, but Nadal was too good. Regardless of what some may say, if Nadal were to face Roddick, the way he played today, without a doubt, Nadal woud've won.

He won 3 out of 48 first serve points from Mark. :confused:

Naranoc
08-30-2006, 05:48 PM
It takes him that long to beat anyone. Take this match for example. There weren't any rallies really because Flip either hit an ace, unreturned serve, big serve put away on his 1st serve and then made an error on the 2nd or 3rd shot on all the other serve points. Flip had a chance in only one serve game of Nadal's and the rest he had no chance since he can't rally at all with Nadal.

Agreed. Didn't it take him 1:30 to get rid of Massu in Toronto with a score of 6-3 6-2?

flip_fan
08-30-2006, 05:50 PM
One thing I noticed: Philippoussis doesn't have enough patience to rally with Nadal. He wanted to rush several points that made him make quite a few errors.

Because Mark is a much bigger build, almost 30yrs old, and has a wonky left knee... u seriously expect him to rally like nadal does all day everyday??

oz_boz
08-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Key statistics was Mark's serve:

1st serve won 45 out of 48 (94%)
2nd serve won 10 out of 39 (26%)

I noticed Nadal had problems with Scud's first serve, but :eek:

Clara Bow
08-30-2006, 05:53 PM
if Nadal were to face Roddick, the way he played today, without a doubt, Nadal woud've won

Whoa- hold your horses. :) Roddick has been playing lights out the past two weeks and is an excellent hard court player. I was thinking that if the two met with Rafa playing the way Nadal has the past month (before today), Roddick would win easy. But- it sounds like today, Nadal is finally getting some good form (and his forehand is back) - so now I think it could be an interesting contest. I would still give Roddick the edge, but if Rafa builds on this in terms of play, then I would not be totally surprised if he could maybe win.

I am glad that Nadal seems to be improving - but it is far too early to proclaim him a finalist yet. I look forward to seeing if he will continue to improve his form as the two weeks progress.

DrJules
08-30-2006, 05:56 PM
I noticed Nadal had problems with Scud's first serve, but :eek:

Mark put 55% of first serves in court. What happens if Andy Roddick puts in 65% or more first serves in a semi-final?

Nadal is a much better player than Roddick, but Roddick could use his serve just to take him into tie breaks and tie breaks can be rather random.

Sunset of Age
08-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Boring match, indeed, but great to see Rafa back in better form.
I wonder who will now be able to stop him going straight at the next final against Fed... and hoping for it to happen, of course.

DrJules
08-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Whoa- hold your horses. :) Roddick has been playing lights out the past two weeks and is an excellent hard court player. I was thinking that if the two met with Rafa playing the way Nadal has the past month (before today), Roddick would win easy. But- it sounds like today, Nadal is finally getting some good form (and his forehand is back) - so now I think it could be an interesting contest. I would still give Roddick the edge, but if Rafa builds on this in terms of play, then I would not be totally surprised if he could maybe win.

I am glad that Nadal seems to be improving - but it is far too early to proclaim him a finalist yet. I look forward to seeing if he will continue to improve his form as the two weeks progress.

With the greatest respect the ONLY shot Roddick plays better, admittedly much better, than Nadal is the serve. I actually think Roddick is possibly the favourite, but only because of the over importance of the serve.

_pyromatic
08-30-2006, 05:59 PM
He won 3 out of 48 first serve points from Mark. :confused:
And he won 29 out of 39 points on his second serve. 37% of recieving points won is pretty good against a big server like Mark.

zaboomafoo
08-30-2006, 06:19 PM
tio toni is back, rafa is back!!
that forehand seems to work again, im glad i could see it trough eruoposrt via livestream tvants, missed the first set tough

rofe
08-30-2006, 06:21 PM
With the greatest respect the ONLY shot Roddick plays better, admittedly much better, than Nadal is the serve. I actually think Roddick is possibly the favourite, but only because of the over importance of the serve.

I disagree. Roddick has actually re-learnt how to hit hard flat shots off both wings and those shots always trouble Nadal so in this particular matchup Roddick could trouble Nadal on the groundies as well. Also, in his matches at Cincy, Roddick was much closer to the baseline and that gives him the opportunity to take time away from Nadal.

Anyway, expected win for Nadal.

mrserenawilliams
08-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Rafi :hearts: Good job!

Neverstopfightin
08-30-2006, 06:37 PM
In my opinion :

*Solid win/match for Rafa and not great match by him as some people say.

*Today he was returning much closer to the baseline , it seems after Cincy he and Toni thought over and decided that Rafa couldn't return so far from the baseline as he made in Cincinnati . The result has been , possibly his worst match ever since he's pro returning first serve ( Though Mark is a big server his performance today returning that first set I would call it pathetic )and very good match returning second serve . Though it isn't appropriate to draw conclusions only watching an unique match , maybe he should return the first serve very far from the baseline like he usually does and the second much closer as he has done today .

* The Roddick that played in Cincy would have won the Nadal that played today.

DhammaTiger
08-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Rafa is awesome the wonder man of tennis :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :yippee: Vamos Rafael!!! :bounce: :bounce:

vahep
08-30-2006, 07:21 PM
M.P. is 3-7 on hardcourts this year. Even after some thought he was turning things around with his surprise win at HOFC on grass, he followed it up with straight set loss to the mighty Hyung-Taik Lee in the first round of the RCA.

Based on a win against that kind of opposition, how anyone can predict Nadal will beat Roddick, or whoever else based on a very basic straight set win against a 30 year old stiff is beyond me. Throw in a bagel or a bread stick among those 3 sets then maybe you can talk like that; but a routine 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 against is not much of a barometer for things to come.

Björki
08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
well done Rafa :banana:

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2006, 07:51 PM
In my opinion :

*Today he was returning much closer to the baseline , it seems after Cincy he and Toni thought over and decided that Rafa couldn't return so far from the baseline as he made in Cincinnati . The result has been , possibly his worst match ever since he's pro returning first serve ( Though Mark is a big server his performance today returning that first set I would call it pathetic )and very good match returning second serve . Though it isn't appropriate to draw conclusions only watching an unique match , maybe he should return the first serve very far from the baseline like he usually does and the second much closer as he has done today .

Completely agree.

Roddick can rally a lot better than Flip at this point and has shown in the past weeks that he has learned how to actually hit a BH return that doesn't go into the net, outside of the doubles' alley, or into the middle of the court for a FH put away. That and he has started to hit that inside-out flat FH with a vengeance the way he did in 2003.

Nadal can do better with his 1st serve though and since there is nobody to challenge him really until he gets to the SF's he can really work on his game.

mamasue
08-30-2006, 07:57 PM
One thing ya'll are forgetting about a Rafa/Roddick match is that Roddick's not tall enough to not be bothered by Rafa's high loopy balls to his backhand. Rafa can always wear him down with that, like he does Fed. So if the match goes beyond 3 sets the edge goes to Rafa. Plus, I see a Wimbledon buildup coming, Rafa's focused and determined.

DrJules
08-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Only one of the big 3; Federer, Nadal and Roddick not to lose serve.

cmurray
08-30-2006, 08:56 PM
I think Rafa looked fantastic today. He played a clean, mostly error-free match. That more than anything is what makes me say he's playing well. Say what you will, but ANYBODY is going to have a hard time beating Rafa is he isn't making errors. Why? Because he chases so many balls down that it is hard to put up winners (except for aces) against him. He looked REALLY good.

Cheryl

Veronique
08-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Rafa did indeed look good, way better than he has been all summer. Although Poo didn't have a good summer hardcourt season, he played better today. The aggressive Nadal, almost error free one was back. He improved all aspects of his game, including the serve. It's really difficult to call the winner of Nadal/Roddick should they face off in the semis. I'm a fan of both, which means my fav will be in the finals. We're still a very long way from there though.

The Pro
08-30-2006, 10:42 PM
In my opinion :

Punctuation is your friend!

World Beater
08-30-2006, 10:58 PM
solid match...nothing special. But nadal played a very smart match. This match however is not really an indication of his future play in the tournament. It will be good for rafa's confidence.

kronus12
08-30-2006, 11:54 PM
some of you's are being naive if you think the way nadal played today would beat the roddick that won cinn. Geez open your eyes mark is a hasbeen playing on one leg only thing keeping him in the match was his excellent serve. If you're going by today game that nadal would beat roddick then you are a delusional rafatard.

Hank777
08-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Mark played good Tennis, it showed indeed that he was missing match-rhythm; that explains in part the many unforced errors .. people saying he's done, that's bs, he may have more good time left :)

Merton
08-31-2006, 12:03 AM
A solid win from Rafa, in what could be a dangerous first round match. I like his chances of making the 2nd week here for the first time in his career, thinking about a potential semifinal with Andy is very premature at this point.

There is nothing to worry about his return on the first serve at this point, once he broke Flip right away Nadal could sense there was not a big danger for him in this match, so he stood quite close to the baseline, trying for cuts on the serve. I am almost sure that he would step back in a potential tiebreak. The important thing is that his forehand was deep in general, this is an area he suffered last year even against Jenkins in R2.

musefanatic
08-31-2006, 12:05 AM
Ah what i hoped would happen, i don't know why anyone thinks Scud can put up much of a test to anyone now! He's lost it really, and Nadal was excellent today, his forehands were amazing! Well done to him :)

brent-o
08-31-2006, 12:10 AM
haha from this thread title, I just got a disturbing image of Rafa on the toilet, looking content but exhausted after defeating the poo.

Radek Stepanek
08-31-2006, 12:58 AM
OMG! I am amazed by Nadal!? He is great! His ouftit, his hair, the way he did that sprinting thing at the beginning, he is really cool! I wish I knew him!

Scotso
08-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Awesome stuff from Rafa.

ChloeLove
08-31-2006, 01:42 AM
Rafa played a really clean match, barely any UE's, great serving. I was actually surprised to see him playing so well. I envisioned it would be a bit rough for him, but it most certainly wasn't.

bad gambler
08-31-2006, 04:11 AM
Unlucky for Flip to draw Nadal first round - would be nice to see him get a couple of wins this week

NeverSayDie
08-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Rafa :bigclap: I LOVED what he's was wearing :D Horna up next

bokehlicious
08-31-2006, 07:36 AM
some of you's are being naive if you think the way nadal played today would beat the roddick that won cinn. Geez open your eyes mark is a hasbeen playing on one leg only thing keeping him in the match was his excellent serve. If you're going by today game that nadal would beat roddick then you are a delusional rafatard.

:yeah: couldn't agree more...

jenanun
08-31-2006, 11:19 AM

of course, nadal sucks...

nadal should have lost to anyone.....

mark lost beceause he was playing on one leg....

and also:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=80356

Super-Fabio
08-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Well Done Rafa!

connectolove
08-31-2006, 02:57 PM
of course, nadal sucks...

nadal should have lost to anyone.....

mark lost beceause he was playing on one leg....

and also:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=80356

I forgot that thread! it is hilarious!

NaDALiTa
08-31-2006, 03:09 PM
:worship: jenanun :worship:

Monteque
08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
rule: nadal never plays well

here we go:

nadal's opponents suck, choke, tired, old blah blah blah.......

nadal got an easy draw

nadal plays in centre court

nadal took too much time between points

nadal picked his ass and touched the ball so that his opponent not want to go near the ball

nadal cheated

nadal doped

nadal coached by toni during the match

nadal shouted vamos

nadal showed his biceps

nadal scares his opponents by jumping

nadal is gay

nadal has hair

nadal wears pirate

nadal eats Koala bears

nadal says too many 'no'

nadal's english sucks

nadal plays under pression

What could we say about it that what i bolded it are facts. And the remains are funny.

I wish he advanced to semi and meet A-Rod. That should be really a par enemy for Nadal. If he was in Fed's draw he would get JCF, Blake, and Nalby. Call me a drawtard because it's true.... :devil: