?! "phasing out best of 5 set matches"?! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

?! "phasing out best of 5 set matches"?!

Volcanic Tennis
08-30-2006, 12:35 AM
The guy next to Patty McEnroe just said the ATP is working on phasing out best of 5 set matches?!?! What?! No more best of 5s at Slams!?

JimmyV
08-30-2006, 12:40 AM
No, just at the smaller ATP events.

Volcanic Tennis
08-30-2006, 12:43 AM
oh thank goodness. thank you.

JW10S
08-30-2006, 01:28 AM
The ATP does not run the Slams so the changes they've proposed will not effect the Slams.

Leo
08-30-2006, 04:56 AM
I imagine the Slams will not "sell out" as the ATP and WTA continue to do with ridiculous changes that only detract from the sport. The Slams have usually stuck to traditions, as is seen in their refusal to adopt the new doubles rules of the ATP. So hopefully we will never see on-court coaching or best of 3 set matches in Grand Slams, although you never truly know...

rofe
08-30-2006, 05:01 AM
I imagine the Slams will not "sell out" as the ATP and WTA continue to do with ridiculous changes that only detract from the sport. The Slams have usually stuck to traditions, as is seen in their refusal to adopt the new doubles rules of the ATP. So hopefully we will never see on-court coaching or best of 3 set matches in Grand Slams, although you never truly know...

Don't be so sure. What about Sunday start, R1 over three days, Super Saturday and a tie-break in the 5th set?

Merton
08-30-2006, 05:05 AM
Some of the best 5-set matches have occured in the finals of these events, like Kuerten-Safin (2000), Kuerten-Ferrero (2001), and the most recent Nadal-Coria and nadal-Federer matches.

Action Jackson
08-30-2006, 05:09 AM
Rios- Zabaleta in Hamburg, Ferrer-Acasuso (2006), Robredo-Gaudio (2004) Cañas-Gaudio (2004)

Only Blake complains about them, cause he can't win them. Make a 2 week break between TMS events dickhead.

Merton
08-30-2006, 05:16 AM
The worst thing is that a best of 3 format would damage all those matches. They wouldn't be what they turned to be.

zaboomafoo
08-30-2006, 02:32 PM
this is the most stupid move ever done by the atp, i love best of 5 matches, all the masters series finals must be best of 5

Saumon
08-30-2006, 02:40 PM
this is the most stupid move ever done by the atp, i love best of 5 matches, all the masters series finals must be best of 5
and many players like them, because they know that if the lose a set they still have more chances to win
I love 5 setters too :worship:

~EMiLiTA~
08-30-2006, 02:50 PM

exactly

instead of phasing out 5 setters, just reorganise the freaking calendar so that there are no back to back masters

Action Jackson
08-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Mr Disney, send one of your minions so they can read some intelligent suggestions from posters here.

Best of 5, well there has to be a place to get practice for it when they play the Slams. Oh fitness isn't important in pro sport, wow why do all that physical training.

Kalliopeia
08-30-2006, 10:16 PM
When I think back over almost 30 years of watching tennis, the matches I remember, the ones that had me on the edge of my seat, cheering and/or groaning as the moment warranted, maybe even in tears (either of happiness or not) by the end...the kinds of matches that embody all that is great in tennis and sports in general...they were all five-setters.

But noooo. Let's do away with that so that the dude who's flipping channels between (American) football and wrestling during commercials because his attention span is about 4 seconds will...well actually he still won't care about tennis because it doesn't involve refrigerator sized guys who pound on each other.

Unless that's his next idea. I can just hear John McEnroe now: "Well Roger and Rafa are tied at 1 set all. Let's all enjoy the dancing bears, fire eater sand can-can dancers while they suit up for the
"X-treme Tiebreak Death Match.""

zicofirol
08-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Shorten the tour and put one week in between these events or at least the claycourt ones. But taking the best of 5 out is ridiculous.

Duncan
08-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Cutting down the TMS finals to best of 3 would be really boring.