This is beyond a joke it's time for the USO to get a roof! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

This is beyond a joke it's time for the USO to get a roof!

Duncan
08-29-2006, 10:24 PM
It's time for a roof to be built on all courts this is shocking. Spoiled a good evening i had planned watching non stop tennis! :o

ps i know it's practically impossible for the roofs im just messing about with everyone who moans about Wimbledon! :p

Johnny Groove
08-29-2006, 10:27 PM
I think they should build a gigantic clear sound proof dome over the entire grounds, with airholes on the sides and air compressors to the outside world. This way, people can breathe, the rain is stopped, and no one can hear airplanes flying overhead :)

Sjengster
08-29-2006, 10:28 PM
It will need to be done in the future I think, trouble is the Ashe stadium is so enormous they'd probably need to build a new court to go with it - unlike say Centre Court at Wimbledon which is easily the smallest of the four Slams. The US Open has actually beaten Wimbledon into second place in the last few years for the most rain-affected Slam. The irony is that the one major with retractable roofs is also the one that suffers the least from rain, although it does still happen in Australia.

Sjengster
08-29-2006, 10:30 PM
I think they should build a gigantic clear sound proof dome over the entire grounds, with airholes on the sides and air compressors to the outside world. This way, people can breathe, the rain is stopped, and no one can hear airplanes flying overhead :)

That's one of those great ideas you have as a kid that doesn't work out in real life. :p How about a forcefield to deflect the rain into Manhattan?

Johnny Groove
08-29-2006, 10:35 PM
That's one of those great ideas you have as a kid that doesn't work out in real life. :p How about a forcefield to deflect the rain into Manhattan?

How about we eliminate the water cycle? :p

twahumboldt06
08-30-2006, 12:45 AM
The irony is that the one major with retractable roofs is also the one that suffers the least from rain, although it does still happen in Australia.

true...they just need to learn how to close it faster :lol: or recognize when there will be a chance of rain.

zaboomafoo
08-30-2006, 12:45 AM
usa can send a man to the moon but cant build a roof because "the stadium is too big" strange people

Tennis Fool
08-30-2006, 12:52 AM
As I stated before, builidng a roof will never happen. Why? Because 1) you're dipping into taxpayer money and most could give a shit about the US Open, especially when 2) taxpayer money is going into building the new Nets arena in Brooklyn that people don't want either.
________

tripb19
08-30-2006, 12:59 AM
Or Tina Turner concerts.

marti_228
08-30-2006, 01:10 AM
I WANT ROOFFFFSSSS!!!!!!!!

partygirl
08-30-2006, 01:17 AM
If they were serious, each slam should have one covered court.
at least.

how long have they been on earth?
-we have weather.

Socket
08-30-2006, 01:19 AM
usa can send a man to the moon but cant build a roof because "the stadium is too big" strange people
So, I guess the solution is to have NASA run the event instead of the USTA and on the moon instead of in Queens.

At least there won't be any Europeans around. ;) ;)

Jimnik
08-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Slams should always be outdoors.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-30-2006, 01:21 AM

the moon landing was faked.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2006, 01:29 AM
If the australians did it, why can't the americans do the same???

Socket
08-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Sure the USTA "can", it just doesn't want to.

Personally, I don't think it's fair to have only one court covered.

Havok
08-30-2006, 01:37 AM
Mother Nature is in a bitchy mood. Alright who pissed her off?:(

:p

partygirl
08-30-2006, 02:02 AM

Maria & Andy :p

Bolar Bolabi
08-30-2006, 02:05 AM

That's incorrect.

The moon landing was acted out with some good props back in the late 60's.

Bolar Bolabi
08-30-2006, 02:06 AM

Technically speaking, us Australian's are more intelligent! :p ;)

ezekiel
08-30-2006, 02:12 AM
center court is too big for a roof but a smaller stadium would be better for a roof where matches can play if there is rain

Lee
08-30-2006, 02:14 AM

The Americans can do the same and more. But like socket says, it's whether USTA wants to and willing to pay for it.

The football stadium in my city, which is larger than Arthur Ashe not only has retractable roof on the top, it also has a retractable grass field on the ground. The whole grass field will slide inside the stadium when matches are played and enjoy the sunshine and rain outside the stadium for the rest of times. :p

Haute
08-30-2006, 02:20 AM
Technically speaking, us Australian's are more intelligent! :p ;)

Must have skipped the class on apostrophes. ;)

*Viva Chile*
08-30-2006, 03:01 AM
Personal opinion: The Architecture of Artur Ashe stadium was not created for having a roof, maybe is the reason why the USTA doesn't do anything about it.

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2006, 04:37 AM
Must have skipped the class on apostrophes. ;)

:lol:

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2006, 04:40 AM
The Americans can do the same and more. But like socket says, it's whether USTA wants to and willing to pay for it.

The football stadium in my city, which is larger than Arthur Ashe not only has retractable roof on the top, it also has a retractable grass field on the ground. The whole grass field will slide inside the stadium when matches are played and enjoy the sunshine and rain outside the stadium for the rest of times. :p

That stadium was probably designed with the retractable roof in mind though, right? It might be another matter to add one to big 'ol Ashe Stadium.

In any case, as TF points out, it will likely never happen anyway due to where the money would have to come from i.e. the taxpayers.

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-30-2006, 04:44 AM
It's time for a roof to be built on all courts this is shocking. Spoiled a good evening i had planned watching non stop tennis! :o

ps i know it's practically impossible for the roofs im just messing about with everyone who moans about Wimbledon! :p

or better yet, plastic wrap. Just a huge thing of plastic wrap... put over Mr. Arthur Ashe.... or aluminum foil. Those hold really well

Action Jackson
08-30-2006, 04:46 AM

:p

Etienne de Villiers.

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-30-2006, 04:46 AM
Personally, I don't think it's fair to have only one court covered.
And that Shot Spot, quite the snob as well

JW10S
08-30-2006, 04:47 AM
Why can't they just lay down a court in Madison Square Garden in the event of rain? Having overseen the building/resurfacing of many courts I don't think it would too difficult to match the speed of the courts at BJK Tennis Center. There's no Hockey or Basketball (WNBA doesn't count) so there doesn't seem to be a conflict. I can understand adding a roof is expensive and may take some time (Wimbledon's roof will not be ready for a couple years). This seems an easy solution.

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-30-2006, 04:51 AM
Yes it is, but they won't spend the money.

JW10S
08-30-2006, 04:54 AM
I think building a whole new stadium with a roof like they did in Australia is easier to do than adding a roof to an existing one. I still think my Madison Square Garden idea is a good short term solution.

Lee
08-30-2006, 05:07 AM
That stadium was probably designed with the retractable roof in mind though, right? It might be another matter to add one to big 'ol Ashe Stadium.

In any case, as TF points out, it will likely never happen anyway due to where the money would have to come from i.e. the taxpayers.

I understand add a roof to Arthur Ashe Stadium is a totally different story. My response is to people who think Americans are not able to build a stadium with retractable roof.

Lee
08-30-2006, 05:14 AM
Why can't they just lay down a court in Madison Square Garden in the event of rain? Having overseen the building/resurfacing of many courts I don't think it would too difficult to match the speed of the courts at BJK Tennis Center. There's no Hockey or Basketball (WNBA doesn't count) so there doesn't seem to be a conflict. I can understand adding a roof is expensive and may take some time (Wimbledon's roof will not be ready for a couple years). This seems an easy solution.

I don't think you can just call MSG and say: 'Hey, it may rain tomorrow, I want to have a few matches in your place'. Other than hockey and basketball, there may be concerts, shows, etc. Also, you need staff, MSG staff, not USTA staff/volunteer in security, crowd control, usher, etc. and I'm not going to tackle how to handle the differences in seating. Arrangement of players changing rooms, passes, players lounge, blah blah blah........

Please remember hosting an event like a Slam is no simple easy task.

JW10S
08-30-2006, 05:23 AM
I don't think you can just call MSG and say: 'Hey, it may rain tomorrow, I want to have a few matches in your place'. Other than hockey and basketball, there may be concerts, shows, etc. Also, you need staff, MSG staff, not USTA staff/volunteer in security, crowd control, usher, etc. and I'm not going to tackle how to handle the differences in seating. Arrangement of players changing rooms, passes, players lounge, blah blah blah........

Please remember hosting an event like a Slam is no simple easy task.

Yes I am aware of all that. Of course the contingencies will be worked out ahead of time. The court will be ready to go, there are already locker rooms, MSG already has staff to handle crowds, etc. Of course they will not be able to make up all the matches that are rained out but there would be tennis--which is better than what they had today. There have been plenty of instances where an outdoor event was rained out and moved indoors on short notice--the recent final for the WTA event in Sweden a couple weeks ago for example.

Lee
08-30-2006, 05:37 AM
Yes I am aware of all that. Of course the contingencies will be worked out ahead of time. The court will be ready to go, there are already locker rooms, MSG already has staff to handle crowds, etc. Of course they will not be able to make up all the matches that are rained out but there would be tennis--which is better than what they had today. There have been plenty of instances where an outdoor event was rained out and moved indoors on short notice--the recent final for the WTA event in Sweden a couple weeks ago for example.

May I remind you the size of Arthur Ashe Stadium?

JW10S
08-30-2006, 05:42 AM
I've come to realize that this board is mostly about people complaining about what won't work, what's wrong with this and that, but they give not real constructive ideas. It's mostly bitching for the sake of bitching.

Of course not every person who had a ticket to AA would fit into MSG--that would be part of the contingencies. Again, it has been done before, many times.

Lee
08-30-2006, 05:58 AM
I've come to realize that this board is mostly about people complaining about what won't work, what's wrong with this and that, but they give not real constructive ideas. It's mostly bitching for the sake of bitching.

Of course not every person who had a ticket to AA would fit into MSG--that would be part of the contingencies. Again, it has been done before, many times.

If you think pointing out the holes in your plan as whining and bitchig, then whatever.

There are 128 1st round matches for men and women singles and less than half are finished. How many matches can be completed in MSG in one day? Even you can arrange all these on short notices and all tennis fans happily accepted the venue changes which included many won't get a seat, how can it be fair to some players? (even now we have tennis fans here screaming murder of unfair scheduling)

We are not talking about a 64 draw tournament, we are talking about 256 singles players and I am not counting doubles. It's the 3rd day of a 2 week event, not the final day. :rolleyes:

btw, Sep 7 and 8 is used for Shakira concert so your contingency plan for women's SF and Final and men's SF to be held in MSG if there is rain will go down the drain.

JW10S
08-30-2006, 06:06 AM
If you think pointing out the holes in your plan as whining and bitchig, then whatever.

There are 128 1st round matches for men and women singles and less than half are finished. How many matches can be completed in MSG in one day? Even you can arrange all these on short notices and all tennis fans happily accepted the venue changes which included many won't get a seat, how can it be fair to some players? (even now we have tennis fans here screaming murder of unfair scheduling)

We are not talking about a 64 draw tournament, we are talking about 256 singles players and I am not counting about doubles. It's the 3rd day of a 2 week event, not the final day. :rolleyes:

btw, Sep 7 and 8 is used for Shakira concert so your contingency plan for women's SF and Final and men's SF to be held in MSG if there is rain will go down the drain.

Again, I said not all the rained out matches will be made up in MSG, not all the tickets holders will get in, but tennis will be played. But I guess in your view it's better that no tennis be played and no tickets holders or TV viewers see any tennis--all the better to be able to go MTF and complain.

And BTW, what was going on in MSG today? I guess it is better to just complain that the US Open doesn't have a roof and no matches at all were completed today than thinking outside the box a little. For the last time, it has been done before.

Lee
08-30-2006, 06:19 AM
Again, I said not all the rained out matches will made up in MSG, not all the tickets holders will get in, but tennis will be played. But I guess in your view it's better that no tennis be played and no tickets holders or TV viewers see any tennis--all the better to be able to go MTF and complain.

And BTW, what was going on in MSG today? I guess it is better to just complain that the US Open doesn't have a roof and no matches at all were completed today than thinking outside the box a little. For the last time, it has been done before.

I don't recall I have complained about rain delay. I haven't complained about USO doesn't have a roof. Rain delay is part of a tennis tournament.

Being a tennis fan, I accept there may be a day or 2 where a tournament being rained out and organisers scrambling to try to fit matches.

Black Adam
08-30-2006, 09:56 AM
That's incorrect.

The moon landing was acted out with some good props back in the late 60's.
Strange that up to this day some people beleive those Soviet rumours on Neil Armstrong landing on a "Hollywood Moon" :o :angel:

Gulliver
08-30-2006, 10:18 AM
It would be far cheaper to have covers for all courts. They could be at one end rolled up, or concealed by a flap (cf FO). There will always be rain, but it's the time they take to dry off the courts that is so wasteful. All those machines, sweepers, towels etc. and it can take for ever. I bet the number of ground staff is already sufficient to supply a team for each court to pull the covers across. Pull them back, and a bit of mopping of the lines and we're on again.

Lee
08-30-2006, 05:57 PM
It would be far cheaper to have covers for all courts. They could be at one end rolled up, or concealed by a flap (cf FO). There will always be rain, but it's the time they take to dry off the courts that is so wasteful. All those machines, sweepers, towels etc. and it can take for ever. I bet the number of ground staff is already sufficient to supply a team for each court to pull the covers across. Pull them back, and a bit of mopping of the lines and we're on again.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=84716