What do you think "Super Saturday" or "Stupid Saturday"? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What do you think "Super Saturday" or "Stupid Saturday"?

DrJules
08-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Much has been said about scheduling at the US Open on this site recently. However, there has always been one element I have always felt is unacceptable; is it reasonable to expect players to contest a 5 set match on Saturday and a 5 set match on Sunday?

This year it easy to envisage Federer playing the first semi-final next Saturday winning in 3 sets then Nadal and Roddick playing a 5 set match marathon. Then surprise, surprise Federer winning easily on Sunday against a tired opponent. Conversely, it could be the other way round with Nadal or Roddick winning their semi-final easily and Federer playing 5 sets in the semi-final and being disadvantaged.

Surely, like ALL other grand slams there should be 2 days between the semi-final and final.

What do others think and does anyone support the idea of semi-final and the final on successive days?

rod99
08-29-2006, 06:45 PM
it's stupid and it's all due to TV. back in '02 agassi had to play the second semi against hewitt while sampras had a cakewalk against schalken in the morning. due to this, agassi came out real slow in the finals. if the semi matches would have been reversed i'm sure agassi would have won the final.

Deboogle!.
08-29-2006, 06:50 PM
a little of both. I can see both sides. It is tough for the players physically and mentally, and the person who plays the 2nd semi is at a disadvantage sure, but i can also see that it's a fantastic and entertaining day of tennis and it sort of has that crazy NY atomsphere/feel to it.

Tennis Fool
08-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Heretics! Super Saturday is what makes the US Open! Federer and Agassi have been able to handle it, as have all the champions. Plus, it's exciting for fans. Although I never saw it live, I wish I could have been there for the 1984 JMac/Connors, Evert/Navratilova, Lendl/Cash show.

And, yes, the night match with the ladies and Aretha, Diana, etc. ain't to bad either.

Neely
08-29-2006, 07:03 PM
I see there can be a problem, but when do people not whine about scheduling or something else? If you want to win you have to surmout the specific troubles and obstacles of all Grand Slams.

DrJules
08-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Heretics! Super Saturday is what makes the US Open! Federer and Agassi have been able to handle it, as have all the champions. Plus, it's exciting for fans. Although I never saw it live, I wish I could have been there for the 1984 JMac/Connors, Evert/Navratilova, Lendl/Cash show.

And, yes, the night match with the ladies and Aretha, Diana, etc. ain't to bad either.

Agassi in the 2005 final after 3 sets which followed the 5 sets of his semi-final against Ginepri looked empty.

R.Federer
08-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Whenever there is only one showcase court, the winner of the first SF pair will always have more time than the second winner, but this will even out over the course of tournaments (I understand that for many players there aren't several slam SF chances).
Andy had it in Wimbledon 05, because of US TV rights and it had consequences on his final play (he didn't complain), but he also had a good program USO 03 which allso had consequences on his final play (also didn't complain there)

Deboogle!.
08-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Whenever there is only one showcase court, the winner of the first SF pair will always have more time than the second winner, but this will even out over the course of tournaments (I understand that for many players there aren't several slam SF chances).
Andy had it in Wimbledon 05, because of US TV rights and it had consequences on his final play (he didn't complain), but he also had a good program USO 03 which allso had consequences on his final play (also didn't complain there)Wimbledon 04 as well.

His 03 USO Semifinal was second and his match lasted over 3 hours :shrug:

BlakeJamitis
08-29-2006, 08:05 PM
If you're the better player then you're the better player. Don't give me this "so & so was too tired." In 2000, Venus Williams had the 2nd match on friday afternoon & down 3-5, 15-30 to Hingis in the 3rd set. Running down everything Hingis threw at her - corner to corner. Yet, she returned the next day & played a fresh Davenport & beat her in str8t sets. The way these guys stay in shape they are fine. Take your butt home after your saturday match - eat, rest & come back out Sunday & kick butt.

NO MORE EXCUSES!!!

R.Federer
08-29-2006, 08:09 PM
His 03 USO Semifinal was second and his match lasted over 3 hours :shrug:
But 2 weeks of very good scheduling amidst all that rain helped him a lot, others played many matches back to back. I think it's quite difficult to dispute that fact

Deboogle!.
08-29-2006, 08:11 PM
But 2 weeks of very good scheduling amidst all that rain helped him a lot, others played many matches back to back. I think it's quite difficult to dispute that factWhat does this have to do with the discussion at hand - whether Super Saturday is a good idea?

DrJules
08-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Andy had it in Wimbledon 05, because of US TV rights and it had consequences on his final play (he didn't complain), but he also had a good program USO 03 which allso had consequences on his final play (also didn't complain there)

Rain was the cause of Andy Roddick playing on Saturday and having no day off. An issue which a roof is believed to address although we have to see how the grass survives.

BlakeJamitis
08-29-2006, 08:15 PM
R. Federer - stop the excuses. If these players are in the shape they claim, they'll be fine.

Players, like Andy M. and Novak are the only ones who couldn't make it. The more likely semifinalist - Roddick, Federer, Nadal, Gonzalez, Marcos, Berdych, etc. - have NO EXCUSES!

Sjengster
08-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Grand Slam finals are possibly the 4 most important tennis matches of the year, it's ridiculous not to give both players the best possible opportunity to be prepared for them. Agassi most certainly did not handle having to play the whole weekend the last two times he was in the final, did he? It's absurd. One of the first things that should go under De Villiers' Reign of Retail, but that would be too sensible.

Deboogle!.
08-29-2006, 08:41 PM
One of the first things that should go under De Villiers' Reign of Retail, but that would be too sensible.It's not really in his jurisdiction though, is it? the USO is a USTA and ITF event :shrug:

Sjengster
08-29-2006, 08:42 PM
True. Moreover, it's a prime example of TV and dollars being prioritised over the integrity and wellbeing of the sport, so he'd never even countenance changing it if he had the power to.

cmurray
08-29-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't like it - for no other reason than that when 2 players are playing in the finals of a GS tourney, they should show up playing their best tennis. When they're both playing a best-of-five the day before, they AREN'T going to be playing their best. I think it sucks for the fans, personally.

Cheryl

All_Slam_Andre
08-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Another reason why Super Saturday exists, is that the USTA doesn't think that a day with just the women's final, and no men's tennis, will be enough to sell out the Arthur Ashe Stadium. I don't if they are right or not. For instance would the 2003 women's final between the two belgians have sold out if it hadn't followed two thrilling men's semi-finals, involving Agassi and Roddick? I think it still will have done but I'm not totally sure.

tennisace
08-29-2006, 10:20 PM
The one year I was able to get tickets it was great.

wally1
08-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Another reason why Super Saturday exists, is that the USTA doesn't think that a day with just the women's final, and no men's tennis, will be enough to sell out the Arthur Ashe Stadium. I don't if they are right or not. For instance would the 2003 women's final between the two belgians have sold out if it hadn't followed two thrilling men's semi-finals, involving Agassi and Roddick? I think it still will have done but I'm not totally sure.Wimbledon manages to sell out the womens final on the Saturday (plus men's doubles) easily enough. I'm sure they could still do it even if the CC held as many as Ashe.

Merton
08-29-2006, 10:32 PM
It is "Unfair Saturday". At least, they should pre-announce which semifinal goes first at the beginning of the tournament, the second semifinal winner has less time to recover than the first, other things being equal.

All_Slam_Andre
08-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Wimbledon manages to sell out the womens final on the Saturday (plus men's doubles) easily enough. I'm sure they could still do it even if the CC held as many as Ashe.

I agree with that. I certainly think that the USTA are seriously underestimating women's tennis here.

NYCtennisfan
08-29-2006, 11:22 PM
True. Moreover, it's a prime example of TV and dollars being prioritised over the integrity and wellbeing of the sport, so he'd never even countenance changing it if he had the power to.

Yes, but one could argue that TV ratings, the generation of revenue $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and exposure in general IS for the wellbeing of the sport. Not for the well-being of players necessarily, but probably for the sport. Players just kind of get shafted, especially whoever plays the 2nd SF.

scarecrows
08-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Wimbledon manages to sell out the womens final on the Saturday (plus men's doubles) easily enough. I'm sure they could still do it even if the CC held as many as Ashe.

10k more???

hmmm, I doubt it

Tennis Fool
08-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Another reason why Super Saturday exists, is that the USTA doesn't think that a day with just the women's final, and no men's tennis, will be enough to sell out the Arthur Ashe Stadium. I don't if they are right or not. For instance would the 2003 women's final between the two belgians have sold out if it hadn't followed two thrilling men's semi-finals, involving Agassi and Roddick? I think it still will have done but I'm not totally sure.
I don't think that's true in recent years, as the Women's final is no longer sandwiched between the men's semis, but has become the Marquee night event with prime time showing and all the spectacle of a Olympics opening ceremonies.

Tennis Fool
08-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Yes, but one could argue that TV ratings, the generation of revenue $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and exposure in general IS for the wellbeing of the sport. Not for the well-being of players necessarily, but probably for the sport. Players just kind of get shafted, especially whoever plays the 2nd SF.
No use arguing with a guy who thinks the Williams sisters ruined the women's game. :rolleyes:

cedez
08-30-2006, 01:09 AM
I'd rather see the players rested and play a great final than have the Super Saturday. Some players spend a lot more time on court then others. It's harder to recover from multiple 5 set matches then if breezing through the draw in 3 set matches. (i.e. Agassi/Federer 2005) It was a good match, but I wonder if it would have been even better if Agassi had had a day off before the final.

JW10S
08-30-2006, 01:24 AM
I both like and dislike it. While it makes for a great day of tennis with the men's semi's and the women's finals it is tough on the players and has at times made for some lackluster finals. But it's a bit better than it used to be when the men's matches were sandwiched around the womens final--then the winner of the second semi was at even more of disadvantage the next day.

R.Federer
08-30-2006, 02:11 AM
R. Federer - stop the excuses. If these players are in the shape they claim, they'll be fine.

Players, like Andy M. and Novak are the only ones who couldn't make it. The more likely semifinalist - Roddick, Federer, Nadal, Gonzalez, Marcos, Berdych, etc. - have NO EXCUSES!
Blake, there are no excuses. It is very simple, if all players are fit that's great but they are not machines. So even though they can come back and play a good match, the player with less time to recover will be less fresh. Sure, they can compete, win games, win sets, and maybe even win the match. But they will be doing it without being as fresh as the player who gets more time to recover.

Also, I would add James to the group along with Andy M and Novak

Action Jackson
08-30-2006, 02:17 AM
Stupid Saturday.

jayjay
08-30-2006, 03:27 AM
Stupid Saturday.

What he said. :)

zaboomafoo
08-30-2006, 02:35 PM
"SUPER STUPID ALLFORMONEY SATURADAY"

DrJules
09-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Did the 4th set performances of Agassi and Roddick in their respective finals relate to longer semi-final matches than Federer.

Rogiman
09-11-2006, 12:59 AM
Did the 4th set performances of Agassi and Roddick in their respective finals relate to longer semi-final matches than Federer.
Actually, I think Federer's SF was longer than Agassi's last year, not to mention him playing 2nd.
This year it was evident Roddick ran out of steam, and that must have something to do with scheduling, although in 2003 he played the 2nd SF, a marathon-match with Nlabandian, and crushed poor Ferrero the next day.

DrJules
09-11-2006, 01:07 AM
Actually, I think Federer's SF was longer than Agassi's last year, not to mention him playing 2nd.
This year it was evident Roddick ran out of steam, and that must have something to do with scheduling, although in 2003 he played the 2nd SF, a marathon-match with Nlabandian, and crushed poor Ferrero the next day.

Agassi 5 sets against Ginepri. Federer 4 sets against Hewitt.

Rogiman
09-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Agassi 5 sets against Ginepri. Federer 4 sets against Hewitt.
But Federer's match lasted just over 3 hours whereas Agassi's lasted just under 3 hours.

Credit to Agassi for winning all those 5 setters last year, but none of them was a real marathon match.

Dusk Soldier
09-11-2006, 01:13 AM
Blake, there are no excuses. It is very simple, if all players are fit that's great but they are not machines. So even though they can come back and play a good match, the player with less time to recover will be less fresh. Sure, they can compete, win games, win sets, and maybe even win the match. But they will be doing it without being as fresh as the player who gets more time to recover. True but the 1st semi finalist rarely gets more than three extra hours to recover anyway.

It's really not that big a difference in time.

oz_boz
09-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Stupid Saturday, for the reasons already pointed out by others.

Action Jackson
09-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Wilander and Edberg protested about Stupid Saturday, would be good if this happened today.

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-09-13/sports/sp-7507_1_protest-time-change

The day known as Super Saturday in tennis circles started off with a mild protest from a most unlikely source at the U.S. Open.

Two Swedes registered the protest, which surely sounds like a contradiction in terms. But Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg became Swedish rebels with a cause when they decided they were mad as hell and weren't going to take it anymore.

OK, protests are nothing new in a game that has given us John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors. In tennis, tantrums are as normal as throwing a ball in the air to serve.

However, the Swedish version of making a statement, registering a complaint, was merely an extension of their personalities. Calm but forceful and to the point.

Wilander adopted the leadership role, and Edberg merely went along as they used delay tactics for ammunition in their small fight with the United States Tennis Assn. Upset over the 10 a.m., EDT, starting time for their semifinal Saturday, they stalled in the locker room and took the Stadium Court 15 minutes late.

"It was wrong that Stefan played Thursday and Friday (doubles) and he had to play first on Saturday. It just didn't make sense to me. They had said 11. They informed my mother-in-law of the change, they didn't speak to me. It wasn't really a protest. We just wanted to show that they can't just do any time that want."

Fittingly, Wilander made these comments to a CBS reporter, and it's interesting because television is widely regarded as the villain in this whole mess. When Wilander and Edberg made their feelings clear after the match, tournament referee Gayle Bradshaw and men's supervisor Ken Farrar were brought in to offer their side of the story.

It quickly turned into the Gayle and Ken Show, as the two men fended off questions from a roomful of reporters, sometimes resulting in comical responses. Dodging the issue of fairness, Bradshaw said the popularity of the Lendl-Connors matchup basically dictated the policy decision. When asked why Edberg, who played a five-set doubles final Friday, had to take the court before Connors or Lendl, who hadn't played since Wednesday, Farrar interrupted.

"He doesn't have to play doubles," Farrar said.

This came from a man who is employed by the men's pro council, a group that encourages the players to compete in doubles events, to give the public more of a chance to see the top players.

And both Bradshaw and Farrar skirted the issue of CBS' control of the schedule, saying that all possibilites were considered before reaching a conclusion. However, it's almost a sure bet that CBS was not going to put Lendl and Connors on at 10 a.m. in the East, meaning 7 in the West.

Bradshaw said he hadn't known Wilander was even protesting, claiming he had only heard rumors that the players were only trying to get a "dig' in at the officials.

Meanwhile, Edberg didn't even remember who eventually came to get them to come to the court.

"It was too early," he said. "It is the same guys who are always around. We said we were coming out a little bit late and we did."

Nidhogg
09-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I'd like to see that from any of the top players today, but I highly doubt it.

DrJules
09-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Will Djokovic discover the problem of playing in less than 24 hours after a 5 set match.

peribsen
09-11-2010, 11:20 PM
I agree it is pretty dumb, but it has been played this way for ages now, not like if it was something one could complain about, rules are the same for all.

BodyServe
09-11-2010, 11:23 PM
It's stupid of course, it's all about marketing...then what can you expect from humans?

Havok
09-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Stupid Saturday.
WtA and ATP alternate their semis and finals, with WTA taking Thursday and Saturday while the ATP takes Friday and Sunday.
Not saying players have excuses or whatnot, it's just fair to give a full day's rest between the semifinals and a match where a GS is on the line!

Mjau!
09-11-2010, 11:27 PM
It's OUTRAGEOUS! The final wont be a fair fight! It has already been decided by the organisers and the luck of the draw!

Mjau!
09-11-2010, 11:30 PM
The US should be stripped of their slam if they continue to put commercial interests ahead of the game!

I for one will not acknowledge the US Open as a major tournament anymore. In my eyes, it will forever be known as the 10th TMS.... which coincidentally makes Björn Borg the undisputed open era GOAT.

peribsen
09-11-2010, 11:31 PM
..which coincidentally makes Björn Borg the undisputed open era GOAT.

.. in your wildest dreams :devil:

brent-o
09-11-2010, 11:37 PM
I like the fact that BOTH semifinals are played on Super Saturday, as opposed to the other Slams I think, where one half of the draw plays Friday, and the other Saturday, so one player has had less rest? Is that right?

marvin0211
09-11-2010, 11:39 PM
The US should be stripped of their slam if they continue to put commercial interests ahead of the game!

I for one will not acknowledge the US Open as a major tournament anymore. In my eyes, it will forever be known as the 10th TMS.... which coincidentally makes Björn Borg the undisputed open era GOAT.

poor roger he lost his 5gs title he has now have 11:o

its a tradition in USO for awhile now nothing you can do about it

BodyServe
09-11-2010, 11:39 PM
I like the fact that BOTH semifinals are played on Super Saturday, as opposed to the other Slams I think, where one half of the draw plays Friday, and the other Saturday, so one player has had less rest? Is that right?

No, other slams they are both friday.

Ozone
09-11-2010, 11:44 PM
STUPID for sure. dont get the 2 best players at their best:shrug:

azinna
09-12-2010, 12:01 AM

I think by now all the other slams have the men's semis scheduled the same day (Friday). The two halves are typically synchronized at the 4th round or QFs, so there can be an "unfairly" quick turnaround between 5-setters somewhere for a player.

Action Jackson
09-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I agree it is pretty dumb, but it has been played this way for ages now, not like if it was something one could complain about, rules are the same for all.

If they were, then the semis would be played at the same time.

dombrfc
09-12-2010, 02:37 PM

True but theres always gonna be a big impact if the 2nd semi is 5 set ie. this year.

SheepleBuster
09-12-2010, 02:44 PM
The US does not deserve slams or tennis. These people, I am talking about my countrymen, who watch Football that is played with hands, they just need to stay sheep. Let the rest of the world appreciate tennis and soccer. I think US Open needs to end and become China Open. China deserves a slam. US does not.

finishingmove
09-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Federer made a reference to Stupid Saturday in his post match presser after the semifinal.

triplefault
09-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Stupid, for the reasons mentioned above. If not for rainouts, Stupid Saturday guarantees the lowest quality final. Not what I want to see for a major final. With the rainouts, I don't get to see it live at all.

One idea is to move the USO up a week and play the men's final on Labor Day, where it won't get obscured by the opening day of the American football season. The semis could then be on Saturday. The women could have their semis on Friday and final on Sunday

Orka_n
09-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Idiotic saturday.

Shirogane
09-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Just a normal Saturday today.

mongo
09-12-2010, 11:24 PM
It is what it is, Jules. Sampras dealt with it nicely, Fed dealt with it nicely.

I just can't wait for there to be a 70-68 5th set in the semis of Wimby so I can start a thread called "Super Tiebreaker" or "Stupid Tiebreaker"? Then you can tell me it is what it is.

careergrandslam
09-13-2010, 12:09 AM
dumbest rule in all of sports.

careergrandslam
09-13-2010, 12:11 AM
The US does not deserve slams or tennis. These people, I am talking about my countrymen, who watch Football that is played with hands, they just need to stay sheep. Let the rest of the world appreciate tennis and soccer. I think US Open needs to end and become China Open. China deserves a slam. US does not.

this.

Sophocles
09-13-2010, 12:22 AM
It was all right in the days when tennis was a less physical sport. Johnny Mac played 5 sets against Connors late into the night in 1984 and then came back and destroyed Lendl in the final the next day. Now though it seems rather daft. On the other hand, I suppose it's good that each slam presents its own unique challenges.

brent-o
09-13-2010, 12:56 AM
I think by now all the other slams have the men's semis scheduled the same day (Friday). The two halves are typically synchronized at the 4th round or QFs, so there can be an "unfairly" quick turnaround between 5-setters somewhere for a player.

Oh ok, I remember what I was referring to. I was remembering that one year at Wimbledon (2008 I think) where Rafa's semi kept getting rain-delayed like crazy, and I think he had to play Saturday. I don't know why I was thinking this was the norm.

Action Jackson
09-13-2010, 01:00 AM
Oh ok, I remember what I was referring to. I was remembering that one year at Wimbledon (2008 I think) where Rafa's semi kept getting rain-delayed like crazy, and I think he had to play Saturday. I was thinking this was the norm.

Far from the norm.

brent-o
09-13-2010, 01:05 AM
It was all right in the days when tennis was a less physical sport. Johnny Mac played 5 sets against Connors late into the night in 1984 and then came back and destroyed Lendl in the final the next day. Now though it seems rather daft. On the other hand, I suppose it's good that each slam presents its own unique challenges.

That's a good point. Some of the commentators were talking today about how the US Open is the toughest Slam to win because of the conditions, but I wasn't buying that. Wimbledon has god awful rain, and it isn't exactly the North Pole at Melbourne.

mongo
09-13-2010, 02:09 AM

Huh? Roger won it 5 times in a row in "these days."

People want to dismiss the USO and say RG is the toughest slam to win, but I noticed no one is wishing that RG change it's format to make it easier on the players. The USO has long been the toughest slam to win, and the final weekend is a big part of that.

Anyway, you're the same whiners who will be crying foul when a semi at one of the other majors goes into a second day because there's no 5th set tiebreaker.

Sophocles
09-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Huh? Roger won it 5 times in a row in "these days."

People want to dismiss the USO and say RG is the toughest slam to win, but I noticed no one is wishing that RG change it's format to make it easier on the players. The USO has long been the toughest slam to win, and the final weekend is a big part of that.

Anyway, you're the same whiners who will be crying foul when a semi at one of the other majors goes into a second day because there's no 5th set tiebreaker.

Huh? I wasn't whining.

triplefault
09-13-2010, 02:49 AM
I don't whine if one semi goes into a second day because of an extended fifth set. My attitude is that the player who can overcome his opponent more quickly deserves the advantage of additional rest.

And since all slams start with 128 players and have pretty much the same top players, they are all equally difficult for a player chosen at random to win.

redda2
09-13-2010, 03:40 AM
BTW both semis aren't on Friday for the Australian open. It goes:

Semi 1 - Thursday night
Semi 2 - Friday night

Final - Sunday night.

mongo
09-13-2010, 04:57 AM
I don't whine if one semi goes into a second And since all slams start with 128 players and have pretty much the same top players, they are all equally difficult for a player chosen at random to win.

It sure has that look the day the draw comes out, doesn't it...?

mongo
09-13-2010, 05:01 AM
Huh? I wasn't whining.

My bad. No, you weren't whining. Seems I should have just made to posts since that final statement wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the whiny whiners.

born_on_clay
09-13-2010, 11:30 AM
stupid thing, very stupid :o

Mr. Oracle
09-03-2011, 09:25 PM
You CANNOT be serious !!

Are they seriously considering starting the men's semis at 11AM on saturday, then having an early afternoon final the following day, followed by the women's final in the evening? I thought men's finals is always a night match? Is this some PC movement or something? Is this the greatest scheduling fail in slam history?

Roadmap
09-03-2011, 09:39 PM
You CANNOT be serious !!

Are they seriously considering starting the men's semis at 11AM on saturday, then having an early afternoon final the following day, followed by the women's final in the evening? I thought men's finals is always a night match? Is this some PC movement or something? Is this the greatest scheduling fail in slam history?

What with this and the criminal act of slowing down the courts it is almost as if the organisers are going out of their way to fuck up. Fuck political correctness. The world was a far better place before all this shite. The fans should boycott the final to send out a message.

moon language
09-03-2011, 09:43 PM
The women's final is on saturday after the men's semis. Also men's final has always been a day match.

DrJules
09-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Always good to have a thread on Stupid Saturday.

Most genuine tennis fans realise it is not sensible.

Imagine:

Nadal beats mug that has eliminated Murray easily and Djokovic and Federer play epic 5 set second match. Next day Nadal beats physically impaired Djokovic all because of the stupid US Open organisers.

anon57
09-03-2011, 09:46 PM
:scratch:According to the USO website the schedule is the same as it been in previous years mens semis saturday during the day session the womens final saturday evening and the mens final sunday afternoon.

Mr. Oracle
09-03-2011, 09:50 PM
The women's final is on saturday after the men's semis. Also men's final has always been a day match.

Indeed, you are right. Women's final is on saturday. Men's final should be very late afternoon to avoid the fail.

Roamed
09-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Stupid Saturday is a ridiculous idea. I think Sunday's been rained out the last two years so it hasn't had an effect lately, but whoever goes second of the semis can end up being at a disadvantage the next day depending on the length of their match. It's a schedule that gives no thought to the welfare of the players and instead is oriented around revenue from TV and visitors.

Mr. Oracle
09-03-2011, 09:53 PM

Imagine:

Nadal beats mug that has eliminated Murray easily and Djokovic and Federer play epic 5 set second match. Next day Nadal beats physically impaired Djokovic all because of the stupid US Open organisers.

And you can almost count on one of the two semis being a marathon. Regardless who ends up the worse for it, it definatly takes away from the final. Hopefully sunday is rained out.

moon language
09-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Indeed, you are right. Women's final is on saturday. Men's final should be very late afternoon to avoid the fail.

The men's final is at 4pm.

I think the real fail here is this thread.

barbadosan
09-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Every year the same complaints. Until such time as someone else provides the funds which the rights broadcaster is now paying, said broadcaster is going to call the tune to match its high coverage point. As a Eurosport commentator reminded listeners earlier today, the significant sums of money the US broadcaster pays form a major portion of USTA's funds that underpin programmes for development of US tennis, so...

Mr. Oracle
09-03-2011, 09:55 PM
It's a schedule that gives no thought to the welfare of the players and instead is oriented around revenue from TV and visitors.

Greedy capitalists !

Mr. Oracle
09-03-2011, 09:58 PM

I think the real fail here is this thread.

Really, you don't see a problem with semis + finals back to back? Do you care about the players, and getting a quality match?

Looner
09-03-2011, 09:59 PM
ACtually, men's final has been on Monday since 2008. Nature has seen to some justice, after all.

nobama
09-03-2011, 10:00 PM

I think the real fail here is this thread.Yes, the schedule is the same as always.

moon language
Really, you don't see a problem with semis + finals back to back? Do you care about the players, and getting a quality match?

I do see a problem with that, yes. However, it's exactly the same this year as it has been for as long as I can remember, and you have had nearly every detail about scheduling incorrect in your posts, hence the failure.

nobama
Really, you don't see a problem with semis + finals back to back? Do you care about the players, and getting a quality match?But it's been this way since forever. :shrug:

Pipsy
09-03-2011, 10:07 PM
As I Brit I might be biased but I think Wimbledon clearly has the best schedule out of all the GS. Weather permitting, the men always play with a day's rest between rounds and matches only go on between 12noon and 10pm. They also haven't bowed down to TV money pressure, sticking with the cash-strapped BBC and not scheduling any matches on the middle Sunday.

USO could learn a lot from this...

Mr. Oracle
09-03-2011, 10:08 PM
But it's been this way since forever. :shrug:

Don't be complacent !:stupid:

barbadosan
09-03-2011, 10:14 PM
As I Brit I might be biased but I think Wimbledon clearly has the best schedule out of all the GS. Weather permitting, the men always play with a day's rest between rounds and matches only go on between 12noon and 10pm. They also haven't bowed down to TV money pressure, sticking with the cash-strapped BBC and not scheduling any matches on the middle Sunday.

Actually if I'm not mistaken, LTA also sells broadcast rights separately to either SkySports and/or Eurosport. I think BBC is only UK rights, and not entirely either, since BBC does not and cannot broadcast all matches since those rights have been sold to other stations - hence for instance why Murray is so frequently scheduled for the evening match to tie up with the portion that BBC has rights for

nobama
09-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Don't be complacent !:stupid:

you only care because this is ND's best chance in ages to win the US Open

Clay Death
09-04-2011, 12:03 AM
You CANNOT be serious !!

those imbecile organizers need to get out of the dark ages.

the sport has become far too demanding for there to be a saturday-sunday finish at a slam.

Mr. Oracle
09-04-2011, 12:37 AM
you only care because this is ND's best chance in ages to win the US Open

You know this how? Are you a jedi?

RagaZ
09-04-2011, 12:37 AM

Imagine:

That pretty much happened last year..

nobama
09-04-2011, 01:07 AM
I guess I don't get all the outrage over USO scheduling as it's been this way since long long time now. some ppl bitching as if this is the first they've heard of it. :confused:

Pirata.
09-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Is this some PC movement or something?

Fuck political correctness.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what does slam scheduling have to do with political correctness? :scratch:

Sham Kay
09-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Super Saturday for the paying public. Stupid Saturday for the players. $$$$$ Saturday for the organizers.

guga2120
09-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Super Saturday, Wednesday stars, the ridiculous stadium. There are alot of things about the US Open that should change.

jcempire
09-04-2011, 01:39 AM
Stupid sat. of course

Action Jackson
09-04-2011, 01:56 AM
I'd like to see that from any of the top players today, but I highly doubt it.

Of course it won't happen, but the article shows how it's dictated.

Stupid Saturday came about in 1984 when Lendl and Cash went to a 5th set buster. Evert/Navratilova went 3 sets plus Connors/McEnroe went 5.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/usopen/2701050/American-broadcasters-pull-plug-on-Super-Saturday-at-the-US-Open-Tennis.html

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/open/2009-09-11-super-saturday_N.htm

Mechlan
09-04-2011, 03:03 AM

I think Wimbledon's policy of no play on middle Sunday is backwards and outdated. Most people get to watch tennis on weekends, and they don't play on one of the four available days? I don't understand that. That said, I think Super Saturday is the other extreme and just as bad.

Pipsy
09-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Actually if I'm not mistaken, LTA also sells broadcast rights separately to either SkySports and/or Eurosport. I think BBC is only UK rights, and not entirely either, since BBC does not and cannot broadcast all matches since those rights have been sold to other stations - hence for instance why Murray is so frequently scheduled for the evening match to tie up with the portion that BBC has rights for

The BBC has exclusive rights in the UK. What is more, they can show any match at any time they choose. They put Murray on last because more people are home then...

Benny_Maths
09-04-2011, 04:09 AM
ACtually, men's final has been on Monday since 2008. Nature has seen to some justice, after all.

Not 2009 IIRC.

Imagine:

Your hypothetical sounds familiar.:D

Johnny Groove
09-04-2011, 04:23 AM
I guess I don't get all the outrage over USO scheduling as it's been this way since long long time now. some ppl bitching as if this is the first they've heard of it. :confused:

It has been around for 27 years, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid idea 27 years in a row.

munZe konZa
09-04-2011, 04:23 AM
I do see a problem with that, yes. However, it's exactly the same this year as it has been for as long as I can remember, and you have had nearly every detail about scheduling incorrect in your posts, hence the failure.

But it's been this way since forever. :shrug:

Saying something was always done is a reactionary statement . Not only are matches today far more athletically demanding requiring more rest but this stadium and place can't guarantee that the match will take place as it has very unstable weather and no roof. It really can't be called grand slam if you only have 20 hours of rest especially in today's game. If they can't provide the rest and the match at fixed time then they should move the tournament . It's basically a circus now that always ends on a sour note.

evilmindbulgaria
09-04-2011, 05:32 AM

Imagine:

Well how about this scenario:

Federer beats Djokovic in the first semi, Nadal-Murray semi starts 1 hour later on a different court EVEN THOUGH the forecast gave 100% chance of rain in the early afternoon. Of course, the match is suspended, finished on Sunday, and Federer beats a mentally and physically tired Murray on Monday.

Oh, wait, that happened, didn't it?

So, definitely a Stupid Saturday!

nobama
09-04-2011, 06:09 AM
It has been around for 27 years, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid idea 27 years in a row.

true but it doesn't mean we need another thread on the subject either. As I I see the mods merged this one.

nobama
09-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Saying something was always done is a reactionary statement . Not only are matches today far more athletically demanding requiring more rest but this stadium and place can't guarantee that the match will take place as it has very unstable weather and no roof. It really can't be called grand slam if you only have 20 hours of rest especially in today's game. If they can't provide the rest and the match at fixed time then they should move the tournament . It's basically a circus now that always ends on a sour note.I'm not defending stupid saturday. But it's been this way for 27 years, so I don't get the 'you cannot be serious' outrage every year as if it's something new. :shrug: They moved the woman's final to Saturday night, I wouldn't mind them moving the men's final to Sunday night. Of course they'll never do that b/c it would compete with Sunday night football.

coonster14
09-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I am not a fan of Stupid Saturday, just my $0.02.

tripwires
09-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I think it's terrible for Olderer. :(

zcess81
09-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I think it's terrible for Olderer. :(

I think it's terrible for all players. What are the chances of 2 players giving their best performance in the final after winning grueling semis the day before? This super Saturday may be good for broadcasters/business end of things, but it is definitely not good for tennis as it, more often than not, deprives us of classic finals where both players are physically/mentally fully rested. Also, imo, super Saturday gives an unfair advantage to the 1st semi-finalists. Imagine if Rafa plays Murray 1st, wins, and then Nole plays Fed 2nd, and the match gets interrupted by rain and finishes late. That scenario would be completely unfair to whoever plays 2nd. If they really want this super Saturday crap they should have 2 semis played simultaneously. That would be fair.

Roadmap
09-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Super Saturday should retire for its fans.

tripwires
09-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I think it's terrible for all players. What are the chances of 2 players giving their best performance in the final after winning grueling semis the day before? This super Saturday may be good for broadcasters/business end of things, but it is definitely not good for tennis as it, more often than not, deprives us of classic finals where both players are physically/mentally fully rested. Also, imo, super Saturday gives an unfair advantage to the 1st semi-finalists. Imagine if Rafa plays Murray 1st, wins, and then Nole plays Fed 2nd, and the match gets interrupted by rain and finishes late. That scenario would be completely unfair to whoever plays 2nd. If they really want this super Saturday crap they should have 2 semis played simultaneously. That would be fair.

It's a greater disadvanter to Olderer because he's old. :(

Seriously though, I agree. During last year's semi-final I hoped for Roger to play the first SF so that he'd have the advantage going into the final. When he was playing the SF I was almost hoping that Roger would lose to Nole so that he wouldn't have to face Rafa after a gruelling 5-setter. :lol: I think this Super Saturday thing sounds nice in theory but 1) it might not produce a quality final if players are tired; and 2) no advantage should be given to any finalist by virtue of the fact that they played first.

munZe konZa
09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm not defending stupid saturday. But it's been this way for 27 years, so I don't get the 'you cannot be serious' outrage every year as if it's something new. :shrug: They moved the woman's final to Saturday night, I wouldn't mind them moving the men's final to Sunday night. Of course they'll never do that b/c it would compete with Sunday night football.

who cares how long it's been when it always creates a problme? A reactionary thinking that is...
Wimbledon finally and mercifully put a roof because it was painful and ridiculous to always have rainouts and interuptions . Hawkeye was introduced after many years to mercifully make the game more just and speedier. There was also resistance to such changes at first and how everything should be kept as it is ,but now everyone is for it because it works

There is so many reasons to but the most important is that there is no buildup to a final. They say it's about money but I don't know how money can be involved when they always play bad finals and semis are bad most of time as well. Last year I stopped watching after 3 sets and I am Nole fan.

nobama
09-04-2011, 03:22 PM
ppl need to quit whining about it as if it's only been implemented this year. The way ND has been crusing through his cakewalk draw it shouldn't be an issue for him anyway.

yesh222
09-04-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't know if I like the idea so much. What I do like is that it's different and that one Slam has such and incredible possible test. I don't know if I would be happy if other Slams did it, but I like that 1 has it.

Egreen
09-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Super Saturday is a big fail. The winner of the second Sf very rarely wins the final.

Rafa#Uno:-)
09-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Federer style of tennis adapts of course better to play saturday and sunday....

he is the most relaxed player...

but it will rain and maybe super sunday or super monday is more real

Rafa#Uno:-)
09-07-2011, 06:48 AM
TO COMPARE THE SCHEDULE WITH THE WOMAN TENNIS IS RIDICULOUS
THEY PLAY BEST OF 3.

they have no roof and just 20 hours between semi and final
for themselves change it

MatchFederer
09-07-2011, 06:50 AM
I think of it as 'Utterly retarded Saturday'.

Fumus
09-07-2011, 10:45 AM
It's good for the game.

Europeans will never understand an American perspective on tennis.

Pipsy
09-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Greg Rusedski just added his two cents on UK's Sky Sports coverage, saying that he understands that it's good for American television to have Super Saturday but it's out of line with the other slams and it's bad for the players and they should work with the USTA in going forward to put an end to the ridiculous scheduling.

MatchFederer
09-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Greg Rusedski just added his two cents on UK's Sky Sports coverage, saying that he understands that it's good for American television to have Super Saturday but it's out of line with the other slams and it's bad for the players and they should work with the USTA in going forward to put an end to the ridiculous scheduling.

These are sensible criticisms. He has understood Fumus' point and gone about understanding that the USTA's and American Television Networks way is utter panda plop, and that the glorious stink and stains of said ploppage must be removed in a collaborative process.

I wonder what the next few days hold...

tests
09-07-2011, 09:52 PM
to be honest, i believe this format maks it difficult to win the uso. Its the most difficult slam to win imho

munZe konZa
09-07-2011, 10:41 PM
it's too easy when you have a scheduling advantage. All the losers just want to win no matter how they get there but the excitement is in getting there not actually winning it.

Action Jackson
09-07-2012, 05:31 AM
It's still stupid but will never change as TV dominates the US Open coverage.