Tarps?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tarps??

rod99
08-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Why does the US Open not cover the court with tarps when it begins raining? Tarps are used at Wimbledon and the French Open. Once the rain falls they should be able to quickly cover the courts with the tarps and then when the rain stops, it would seem play should be able to resume in a number of minutes. I don't understand why they insist on using dryers, towels, etc. It takes forever to dry the courts like this. does anyone know what the rational is??

ShimSham
08-29-2006, 07:52 PM
The British commentators on Sky were asking the same question yesterday.

This was posted on the US open board today.
Covers don't work on hardcourts. Hardcourts retain heat and you get condensation under the cover, so the court is still wet, and you still have to dry it.

Billabong
08-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the explanation:) I was also asking myself that question;)

Fee
08-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Last year they also said something about not having drainage on any of the courts either, so the water that collected on the tarps would have no where to go once the tarps were removed. It is pretty silly that they have to dry the court with towels...

williaer
08-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah they do the same thing at the AO and while I was towelling off the courts, I was wondering why the heck we didn't have covers - but Socket was right in saying that you would get condensation under the covers so they're useless anyway (especially in the Aussie heat). And it takes so freaking long to dry them because the water seriously seeps into the surface so wiping is not enough - after wiping off the excess water, time is the only thing that would dry the courts.

Rain delays may suck for viewers but oh my - they suck SO MUCH MORE for the poor court services kids that are drying them off like slaves.....

xinyu2006
08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
lol

Socket
08-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Yeah they do the same thing at the AO and while I was towelling off the courts, I was wondering why the heck we didn't have covers - but Socket was right in saying that you would get condensation under the covers so they're useless anyway (especially in the Aussie heat). And it takes so freaking long to dry them because the water seriously seeps into the surface so wiping is not enough - after wiping off the excess water, time is the only thing that would dry the courts.

Rain delays may suck for viewers but oh my - they suck SO MUCH MORE for the poor court services kids that are drying them off like slaves.....
The high humidity in US East coast cities like Washington, DC, Miami, and New York make toweling a necessity. Otherwise, the court surface would take forever to dry. You wouldn't have to do that at Indian Wells after a rain, because it's much drier there. I don't know what the situation is in Melbourne.

I remember back in 1995 at the AO, when the main court actually was flooded because of the rain, right after a SF match that Agassi was playing. I think the locker rooms below the court were also flooded. . . .