USTA Tournaments or Leagues? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USTA Tournaments or Leagues?

thefan
08-29-2006, 04:33 PM
http://www.usta.com/tournament/default.sps

Does anyone here participate in any of these USTA program?
If anyone does, please provide me some info on the program.
Which one should I join to try to get a ranking and compete competitively?

Thanks

thefan
08-29-2006, 11:34 PM
anyone?

njnetswill
08-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Start in round robin events that require no ranking.

leahwurth
08-30-2006, 12:36 AM
i would suggest participating in tournaments. i joined a league this past spring and was disappointed. as captain, it was difficult arranging a time everyone could meet to practice, let alone schedule a match. at least in tournaments, all you have to be concerned with is yourself, but i may have just had a bad league experience. the leagues are a good way to meet people in a new area.
i think the USTA has a self-rating system(as long as you haven't played any college tennis) so you can judge yourself and rank accordingly and start playing tournaments.
good luck!

thefan
08-30-2006, 04:22 AM
leahwurth,

To join the tournament, do you need to have a specific skill level? Can beginners join?
Also about the league, does it cost anything? Also, in league, is there a ranking system or something where you can advance up to?

JW10S
08-30-2006, 04:27 AM
leahwurth,

To join the tournament, do you need to have a specific skill level? Can beginners join?
Also about the league, does it cost anything? Also, in league, is there a ranking system or something where you can advance up to?

The leagues are classified by a rating system. Before joining a team you will have to be evaluated by a certified rater who will classify you as being of a certain level (for ex: 2.5, 3.0, 3,5, etc.,). Those ratings can also be used for tournament entry. You can enter tournaments for your particular level of play or play Open events, but you'd better be pretty good to enter those. And yes, there are fees for joining a league or playing tournaments.

leahwurth
08-30-2006, 03:56 PM
leahwurth,

there are tournament entry fees(usually ranging from $10 to $20, in my experiences). yes, you have to sign up for a specific skill level. there are draws made for 2.5, 3.0, 3.5 etc and you enter the one that matches your level. sure, beginners can participate in a tournament---that would be 2.5 ranking.
in addition to the USTA membership fee, there is a $20 fee to play on a league. the ranking system works the same in the league---2.5, 3.0, 3.5 etc. in a league, you can play a half-step up too(i.e. if you're 2.5, you can play on 2.5 and 3.0).
here's a link to the USTA site that has all the needed info about joining a league---look at the "about self-rate" on the right side so you can rate yourself and not have to be judged by a USTA person.
http://national.usta.com/leagues/
let me know if you have any other questions. =)