Agassi Def. Pavel 6-7(4), 7-6(8), 7-6(6), 6-2 : What A Match !!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi Def. Pavel 6-7(4), 7-6(8), 7-6(6), 6-2 : What A Match !!!

Viken01
08-29-2006, 03:04 AM
well maybe you don't agree with me but what a match !! :eek:
it's 5 am here but i can't stop watching, you know it's for this kind of match i love tennis, it's just amazing, great crowd, great players, great level.
I don't know who will win at the end because my bed won't stop calling me :lol:

cmurray
08-29-2006, 03:06 AM
They're both playing really good tennis. I'm proud of Andre no matter what the outcome of today's match.

Cheryl

marti_228
08-29-2006, 03:08 AM
It's 12.07 here so it's not so late and I'm not going to school tomorrow. Yes, it's an awsome match. They are both playing well, a bit strange, especially because of Pavel. The crowd yells at every shot, it's like a Davis Cup tie!

dmit424
08-29-2006, 03:17 AM
Yeah, here comes the Pavel bandwagon.

Billabong
08-29-2006, 03:20 AM
Those 4 games were too quick for my liking:sad: Cmon Andre, he seems to play a bit better now!

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 03:20 AM
Pavel didn't even play during the US Open series. It's surprising to see him play such a solid match (because Agassi actually played quite well in the first 2 sets)

Agassi's looking a bit flatfooted in the 3rd. Let's see what he can conjure up.

LOL @ Gil Reyes' outfit. I think I saw Flavor Flav wearing the same thing on his crappy reality show.

Kalliopeia
08-29-2006, 03:27 AM
Matches like this are why I love this game. Which is not to say it isn't complete torture. Andre's looking good so far...

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 03:29 AM
Pavel looks like he's hurting.

Who's that ugly guy sitting next to Darren Cahill?

dmit424
08-29-2006, 03:29 AM
I'm cheering for Pavel, actually. No one will ever care when or which one his last US Open will be. But great match so far, no doubt.

Viken01
08-29-2006, 03:36 AM
and agassi comes back !!
5-4 !!

tiptop
08-29-2006, 03:43 AM
indeed great match. btw one of the commentators for german eurosport is mr kiefer himself...good choice for this kind of match

Viken01
08-29-2006, 03:46 AM
indeed great match. btw one of the commentators for german eurosport is mr kiefer himself...good choice for this kind of match

kiefer ? He is not playing the US open ?

NYCtennisfan
08-29-2006, 03:49 AM
Agassi has hit the ball extraordinarily well tonight. He has had trouble moving of course which means he has been late to a lot of balls especially on the BH and has hit back weak slices because of it. Other than the movement, his hitting of the ball is as good as it was in last year's Open. :eek:

tiptop
08-29-2006, 03:49 AM
kiefer ? He is not playing the US open ?

nope injured - since french open. and will be out for another few weeks...

Allstar
08-29-2006, 03:56 AM
5am here, good match

scoobs
08-29-2006, 04:01 AM
5 am and I'm exhausted but I'm not moving.

brent-o
:eek: holy shit on that inside-out forehand return ace from agassi on set point!

RickDaStick
Anyone here some guy yell out FUCK YOU at someone it was pretty fun and very easy to understand it

njnetswill
:eek: Craaaazy.

Kalliopeia
08-29-2006, 04:02 AM
Andre can still amaze me with some of the shots he makes. Damn. And two sets to one now. This is exhausting. I have to work tomorrow, this is killing me. Yet I love it!

Yappa
08-29-2006, 04:03 AM

Yes, very good choice. He and the commentator Mathias Stach are a very good team. They were also the commentators for a match of Kiefers favorite soccer club Hannover 96. :)

tangerine_dream
08-29-2006, 04:04 AM
Anyone here some guy yell out FUCK YOU at someone it was pretty fun and very easy to understand it
Maybe he said "fuck yeah"?

If he was, then I agree with him. Fuck, yeah, that was an awesome inside out forehand return winner. :eek: :lol:

This is a very, very good match by two geezers who haven't played all summer. A lot of heart out there by both players. Quite amazing actually.

Viken01
good night everyone it's 6am, i go to my bed but i'll still watch the match ;)

TFan1156
They're both playing really good tennis. I'm proud of Andre no matter what the outcome of today's match.

Cheryl

They both were playing well until 4-0 second set when Pavel started making a bunch of unforced errors. But that is what separates the men from the wimps, who can perform when it counts the most...

RickDaStick
08-29-2006, 04:06 AM

If he was, then I agree with him. Fuck, yeah, that was an awesome inside out forehand return winner. :eek: :lol:

This is a very, very good match by two geezers who haven't played all summer. A lot of heart out there by both players. Quite amazing actually.

no it was before that, i think someone in the crowd said come on Pavel and someone replied with a Fuck you

TFan1156
08-29-2006, 04:07 AM

No it was FU, NYC fans yell at each other a lot, is common.

Billabong
08-29-2006, 04:09 AM
YEAH keep it up Andre, what an unbelievable comeback he made in the 3rd set:eek:!!!:D

cmurray
08-29-2006, 04:10 AM
OMG. I'm going to cry at the end of this match, no matter what. Andre has played better than I could have ever hoped. Tennis without Andre...I just can't imagine it. sniff.

case
08-29-2006, 04:14 AM
kind of off topic- but does anyone else think that agassi has no hair?
not on his arms and legs either .
are tennis players now shaving their arms and legs too, like cyclists?

Billabong
08-29-2006, 04:14 AM
Andre is playing awesome, definitely his best level since last year's USO:worship:

3-0, 2 breaks up:bounce:

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 04:17 AM
Agassi has been shaving himself for years.

Oh joy...they've trotted out the Mummy...I mean, Nick Bollieteri. Apparently according to him, it's important for "everybody" that Andre wins.

I'm sure, I'm still annoyed by Gil Reyes' Medellin Cartel pimp duds. Argh! Why are people so tacky when they know they'll be on TV?

scoobs
08-29-2006, 04:20 AM

Oh joy...they've trotted out the Mummy...I mean, Nick Bollieteri. Apparently according to him, it's important for "everybody" that Andre wins.

I'm sure, I'm still annoyed by Gil Reyes' Medellin Cartel pimp duds. Argh! Why are people so tacky when they know they'll be on TV?
He probably thinks he looks dapper.

I think he looks like a prat, but who am I? :)

cmurray
08-29-2006, 04:21 AM

He probably doesn't consider it tacky. The guy's always dressed like that.

BTW, Bollieteri skeeves me out. The bob barker old guy tan thing really gets to me.

Cheryl

case
08-29-2006, 04:22 AM

:haha: my mom thought that Reyes was a gangster.

thanks for the shaving note.

Flibbertigibbet
08-29-2006, 04:22 AM
I like Gil's hat and the fact that, while everybody else is cheering and on the edge of their seats, he goes "what the hell ever, I'm sitting down and enjoying the match." :p

FaileBashere
08-29-2006, 04:24 AM
I'm at work and just watching the online scores. I didn't want to go after having watched the first two sets until Andre changed rackets and striked back! This is killing me. Have they shown Steffi yet? Seeing her tense is not really comforting. I feel for her. I think Andre's winning it, i'll get a chance to watch his next match, yey!

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 04:33 AM
Call me crazy but I can see Bagdhatis losing to Agassi.

I'm sorry Andre fans...but this madness must end. I'm sick of all this hoopla.

Andre♥
08-29-2006, 04:36 AM
If Agassi plays like today, he'll beat Baghdatis!

I would love to see Roddick vs Agassi. Would the crowd boo Roddick?

brent-o
08-29-2006, 04:37 AM
WELL, the match is over so someone go make a final score thread so we can stop making this an ad-hoc live score thread.

Adler
08-29-2006, 04:42 AM
Andre showed today what does it mean to be a master and a sport legend

Baggy is pretty inconsistent, and, although I like the guy, I wish seeing him beaten in 2R

Regenbogen
08-29-2006, 04:46 AM
The sound on the TV quit working at 5-1 :mad: So annoying.

Yay Andre :D

Martin
08-29-2006, 04:46 AM
Fantastic stuff from Agassi, he showed tremendous heart yet again. Full credit to Pavel for the effort he put in but I'm so happy that Agassi did it. :D

Clara Bow
08-29-2006, 04:50 AM
That was a fun first match for sure. Both had some great shots- Pavel had a couple of utterly gorgeous backhands, and Andre's aforementioned forehand winner was yowza!

Since Baggy can be up and down, I can see Andre winning if Marcos is not fully concentrating. I hope that the crowd is not too harsh on Marcos...I think whoever plays Andre is going to catch hell for just about anything.

Adler
08-29-2006, 04:53 AM
I think whoever plays Andre is going to catch hell for just about anything.
We've seen a piece of this today unfortunately

rofe
08-29-2006, 04:53 AM
Andre played really well. His comeback in the 3rd set took me by surprise. Ultimately, Andrei's fitness was his undoing.

belco
08-29-2006, 04:56 AM
it was a great match... pitty i lost $$ on it :P

TFan1156
08-29-2006, 04:56 AM
Call me crazy but I can see Bagdhatis losing to Agassi.

I can easily see that, Marcos is one of the biggest wussies on the tour...

TFan1156
08-29-2006, 04:58 AM
Pavel basically just quit when in blew the 4-0 lead in the third. Hey all the top 100 have shots, difference is the men get tough when the challenges come, the wimps fold up and quit. Pavel is the latter...

TFan1156
08-29-2006, 04:59 AM
it was a great match... pitty i lost $$ on it :P

Bet against Baghdatis and make it back. Marocs won`t be there to play...

knight_ley
08-29-2006, 05:05 AM
:worship: AMAZING match.

Billabong
08-29-2006, 05:11 AM
A fantastic match with some outstanding shotmaking, great victory for Andre and he deserved it:worship:! I hope the adventure continues and that he takes out Roddick:devil: But first of all: Marcos Baghdatis, who can be extremely dangerous! You bet the stadium will be full for that match:D GO Andre:banana:!!!

Björki
08-29-2006, 05:12 AM
Andre :banana:

gillian
08-29-2006, 05:21 AM
Just came back from seeing the match! As mentioned before, I have never been an Agassi fan, but I have tremendous respect for all he has accomplished, and it'll be the end of an era when he leaves.

Tonight, I saw flashes of the old Andre, running down drop shots and hitting screaming backhands. It was nice. What was even nicer was that the crowd roared every time he hit a winner. The energy in the stadium was great. All in all, a fun night in Flushing Meadows.

MisterQ
08-29-2006, 05:27 AM
It's amazing how Agassi's belief in himself often exceeds that of his fans! :lol: Can't believe he pulled out of that 0-4 deficit in the third set. :cool:

cmurray
08-29-2006, 05:34 AM
OMG :sad: I just read that SI article on Andre. I've never read anything more inspirational in my life. I was already tearing up a little that he won that match, and then I read that and I actually CRIED. First time since I was giving birth to my son 4 years ago (it hurt :) ).

Way to go, Andre. I'm so proud, I could just burst.

Cheryl

Carlita
08-29-2006, 05:39 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

well done sir :hatoff:

and also :hatoff: to Pavel for putting up with that audience.....

{Annie}
08-29-2006, 05:56 AM
Absolutely brilliant!!!! enjoyed every second of it!!!! Pavel was a hero to play the way he did in these conditions and the audience :rolleyes:

Andre :worship: :worship: that fighting spirit never dies :yeah:

General Suburbia
08-29-2006, 06:11 AM
I would love to see Roddick vs Agassi. Would the crowd boo Roddick?
I only think it's appropriate that if they do play against each other, Roddick should win. Agassi's gone now, and losing to Andy will pretty much show us he's passing the torch down from one American tennis legend to another American player.

atpSUPERMAN
08-29-2006, 06:14 AM
It's amazing how Agassi's belief in himself often exceeds that of his fans! :lol: Can't believe he pulled out of that 0-4 deficit in the third set. :cool:

They can't be real fans then.

When you are the best returner of all-time its always possible to get 2 breaks back. He rarely gives up on a set.

atpSUPERMAN
08-29-2006, 06:16 AM
I only think it's appropriate that if they do play against each other, Roddick should win. Agassi's gone now, and losing to Andy will pretty much show us he's passing the torch down from one American tennis legend to another American player.

With a 5-1 head-to-head against Roddick, I don't think Agassi even needs his best to win.

Deea
08-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Pavel basically just quit when in blew the 4-0 lead in the third. Hey all the top 100 have shots, difference is the men get tough when the challenges come, the wimps fold up and quit. Pavel is the latter...

Pavel is not a wimp. :o He didn't play at all in the US Open Series and he's not very young either you know, he's 32. His fitness is not what it used to be and he had to put up with a back injury these last couple of months. He has put on a great fight against Andre and I'm really proud of him. :worship: :worship: Well done boys, both of you, matches like these remind me why I love tennis so much! ;)

xinyu2006
08-29-2006, 10:43 AM
and agassi comes back !!
5-4 !!

hanabishi
08-29-2006, 11:14 AM
I agree, great match!!!

I found it funny how some people in the crowd kept yelling, "Come on, Andre!!" when both players have that same first name.

merce
08-29-2006, 11:36 AM
They played soo good :worship:

I almost had a heartattack!

Neely
08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Until I fell asleep in the third set it was a very good match. I'm glad Agassi won it because as good as Pavel played yesternight, it could have easily gone the other way also. Some good shots of both :worship:

Scotso
08-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Pavel gave Agassi his retirement gift.

mallorn
08-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Great match. :hatoff: I was too tired to stay up for this :o but I'm so glad I recorded it! Fantastic comeback by Andre in the third set. I wonder how much he's got in the tank for the next round(s).

Adler
08-29-2006, 12:30 PM
After the match I realised that Agassi would die on the court rather than just lose. He will leave everything during every match, no matter which round it is. Today I also realised how much does the tennis world lose by Andre's retirement. We don't have such charismatic champions, it's a fact. Hope that Federer will improve his legacy

cmurray
08-29-2006, 12:47 PM
You know, I'm the biggest Andre fan around, and I didn't expect him to play this kind of tennis. I didn't give him a snowballs chance to even GET to the quarters. If he plays like he did last night, I think he can take Baggy. I really do.

He gave everything last night. Everything. Tennis is losing a GREAT champion.

Cheryl

anserq
08-29-2006, 01:31 PM
<3 Agassi! Hope Agassi makes it through next round y0

Bilbo
08-29-2006, 01:46 PM
He will rip Baggy a new one :yeah:

zaboomafoo
08-29-2006, 11:49 PM
come on andre, retire as the legend you are!!!!

cedez
08-30-2006, 01:13 AM
What a match! Kudos to both Andres. I just wish I could have been there to take in the atmosphere in person. Can't complain, though. I got to see Agassi/Blake last year!

chicky841
08-30-2006, 01:42 AM
Really good match...both players played very well. Only thing that put a damper on it was the crowd.

tangerine_dream
08-30-2006, 01:43 AM
I sure am glad that USA Network is showing the Agassi-Blake QF from last year's USO because it shows once again that not even a young American like Blake can escape the claws of the Andre-loving crowd. Blake got just as many cheers and jeers for his double faults and ue's, and the crowd went berserk when Blake dumped a forehand volley into the net to hand Agassi the break in the third set. Blake didn't take it personally, as no sportsman should. At one point, Agassi even got booed for questioning an overrule. Well, imagine that!

What many of you cannot seem to grasp is that the USO crowd's emphatic support of Agassi does not mean that they are cheering against his opponents. When he's down a set or two, the crowd's going to pull for Agassi even more. Agassi is our last great American tennis legend, he is the sentimental favorite, and he goes into every one of his matches as the underdog. This is a combination no crowd can resist. :)

Also, for the people who think Baghdatis is going to wimp out when he faces Agassi in the second round, I disagree. Marcos gets a lot of inspiration from a rowdy, enthusiastic crowd and he's going to get the biggest one of all come Thursday. I think he's going to play great and I hope Andre does, too. The only difference is that Baghdatis' cheering section will be slightly larger than the one Pavel had. Judging from Bags' first round match, the Americans like what they see in Marcos. I think (hope) it will be another memorable match.

hanabishi
08-30-2006, 02:12 AM
I just read the transcript to Pavel's press conference..
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2006-08-29/200608291156876056203.html

THE MODERATOR: Questions.
Q. Hi, Andrei. You played very, very well. How did it get away?
ANDREI PAVEL: Well, I don't know. I guess he start playing better. I don't know, especially third set was, you know, 4 Love with two breaks. I thought, you know, I have him.
The only problem is, I don't know it happens, I just started having stomach cramps. I went two times to the bathroom; I just had diarrhea. I don't know how it happened, but I couldn't concentrate that much like before, you know.
I had the feeling I going to explode in my pants, so it was not very nice. But, you know, he played well, too. I maybe made like few easy mistakes, but nothing major. He always came out, you know, with the shots on the line or winners. Still went for his shots the same way, you know, as was like maybe 3 All, not 4 Love.
I don't know. I think that was the key of the match. I think for him will be difficult to come back from two sets to one for me. Was really a tough match. In the end, I was tired. I run left and right, and he did the same.
He's still one of the fittest guy on tour. He's amazing.
Q. What was it like to be out there with that atmosphere? It was a record crowd tonight.
ANDREI PAVEL: Yeah. Sure, sure. I expect it. I was enjoying myself as well. No doubt about it. I have a lot of respect for Andre. It's normal that there are people like cheering a little bit rougher, put it this way. Of course, last tournament, they want Andre to go as far as maybe he's going to win the tournament. Everybody wants beside a group of Romanians, my wife, some other like Romanian press, they going to cheer for me.
But difficult time is when few people, they had too many like a drink or a few more, you know, then they just go straight to you, look in your eyes. You just go you know, they call you something or they say, You go home. Then it's not that nice, especially when you miss a serve or make a double fault, miss an easy ball.
You're very disappointed. Then somebody else makes it even worse. They know that. They do it extra. I think if we play in Bucharest, I have some Romanians behind me to do that against him.
You know, he's the man right now. I wish him well. I hope that he can go all the way because he deserves it. I think he wants it. I think it was a good match.
Q. What makes the man such a special man? What is so special to you about Andre Agassi?
ANDREI PAVEL: Well, I mean, I'm sorry to say, this question everybody can explain this, not only me. Andre Agassi, what's so special about him? He's one of the greatest tennis player of all time. Not much to explain. Not only the results he make, the way he play, the way he is inside the court, outside the court.
Q. What did you say to him at the end?
ANDREI PAVEL: I said, "Piss off." (Laughter).
No, I didn't say that. I say, "Congratulations. Great match." I wish that he goes all the way.
Q. Do you think he can go all the way?
ANDREI PAVEL: I think I played a very, very good match today. You know, I think I played more backhand winners than he did. It's tough to say. It's day to day. Grand Slams is day to day. Best of five. This was a tough match. We played over three hours.
Depends how he recovers. He has a tough opponent next round, Baghdatis, who played final and semifinal in Australian Open and Wimbledon. It's going to be tougher and tougher each round. With this kind of crowd behind him, he can do it.
I remember Sampras, nobody gived him any chance that year, and then he went all the way and he won the tournament. Tennis is tennis. He's playing great. The only thing is he has to hold the whole two weeks. I don't know if that's going to happen.
Q. The stomach cramps, was that caused by nerves or what?
ANDREI PAVEL: I'm not sure. I don't know. It just came like this (snapping fingers), then I had to go. I went to the bathroom like two times in about, I don't know, 10 minutes. I start feeling it like before. I thought like, you know, maybe I had the nerves or maybe a lot of emotion. I had to run fast.
Q. This is a tough crowd, well over 20,000 Americans at night. Are there tougher crowds you've played in Davis Cup or otherwise in your career?
ANDREI PAVEL: Yeah, Brazil.
Q. How does that compare to this?
ANDREI PAVEL: I think they were more emotional, more into it.

Ok, I love Andrei Pavel. So candid and lively. And if he really did have diarrhea, I'm so sorry for him. I mean if I had diarrhea, I wouldn't even go out of my house.

chicky841
08-30-2006, 03:02 AM
The only problem is, I don't know it happens, I just started having stomach cramps. I went two times to the bathroom; I just had diarrhea. I don't know how it happened, but I couldn't concentrate that much like before, you know.
I had the feeling I going to explode in my pants, so it was not very nice.

:tape: TMI. But that sucks....He still played awesome despite everything tho.