#1 player, 2 time defending champ, Wendesday start...WTF is up with that? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

#1 player, 2 time defending champ, Wendesday start...WTF is up with that?

nobama
08-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Nice job there USTA. Showing lots of respect for the #1 player and 2 time defending champ. :rolleyes:

LLeytonRules
08-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Fedtards, Fedtards, my ass!I have too agree with u here.Its so biase, shows lack of respect in my mind, and this is a guy that could be the best of all times barring injury!

gooner88
08-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Maybe Fed is still tired from his exploits in Toronto and Cincy and wanted the extra few days off. :shrug:

R.Federer
08-29-2006, 01:02 AM
Mirkaland, did it occur to you that perhaps Roger asked for it? At the French he requested a late start.

If none of that is true, then I agree with you that even though they need to make a lot of room to showcase Agassi and all other US stars, this is poor form and disrespect for the defending champ.

nobama
08-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Maybe Fed is still tired from his exploits in Toronto and Cincy and wanted the extra few days off. :shrug:Lindsay Davenport asked for a Tuesday start and was refused. I highly doubt Roger would ask for a Wednesday start considering he's been in NYC for over a week now. Last year they stuck him on court right at 11am when no one was even there. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the last R1 match to be played. And if no matches get played tomorrow will they even fit everything in on Wednesday? :(

neenah
08-29-2006, 01:06 AM
Hmm, I never knew players could request days to play.

But I'm going to the Open on Thursday and if Fed plays Wednesday there's no way I could see him playing.. :sad:

nobama
08-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Mirkaland, did it occur to you that perhaps Roger asked for it? At the French he requested a late start.

If none of that is true, then I agree with you that even though they need to make a lot of room to showcase Agassi and all other US stars, this is poor form and disrespect for the defending champ.I suppose it is possible but there doesn't seem to be any logical reason for him not wanting to start until Wednesday, esentially playing 7 matches in 12 days. The French didn't honor his request so why would the USTA? Especially when Davenport asked for a Tuesday start and they wouldn't give her one. :shrug:

Scotso
08-29-2006, 01:09 AM
:sobbing:

Grinder
08-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Nice job there USTA. Showing lots of respect for the #1 player and 2 time defending champ. :rolleyes:

Get over it, stop fucking whining.

gooner88
08-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Lindsay Davenport asked for a Tuesday start and was refused. I highly doubt Roger would ask for a Wednesday start considering he's been in NYC for over a week now. Last year they stuck him on court right at 11am when no one was even there. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the last R1 match to be played. And if no matches get played tomorrow will they even fit everything in on Wednesday? :(

TBH I don't agree with the first round being spread over 3 days anyway. But Fed being Fed, I'm sure he'll find a way to win.

Corey Feldman
08-29-2006, 01:13 AM
No problem...
its just a case of saving the best till last, as they say.
:cool: :cool:

prima donna
08-29-2006, 01:13 AM
:sobbing:
Finocchio.

Corey Feldman
08-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Get over it, stop fucking whining.shut your hole muppet.

R.Federer
08-29-2006, 01:14 AM
I suppose it is possible but there doesn't seem to be any logical reason for him not wanting to start until Wednesday, esentially playing 7 matches in 12 days. The French didn't honor his request so why would the USTA? Especially when Davenport asked for a Tuesday start and they wouldn't give her one. :shrug:

With all due respect to Ms. Davenport, I don't think she pulls as many spectators (even US) as Roger Federer does. They will accede to his wishes, especially if it suits their own ideas about when he will bring in the most people, before they might to hers.

nobama
08-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Get over it, stop fucking whining.Sorry, but I think it's a lack of respect. The whole scheduling R1 over three days is :retard: anyway.

nobama
08-29-2006, 01:21 AM
With all due respect to Ms. Davenport, I don't think she pulls as many spectators (even US) as Roger Federer does. They will accede to his wishes, especially if it suits their own ideas about when he will bring in the most people, before they might to hers.And how do we know his wishes were to start on Wednesday? I can't imagine him liking the idea of being one of the last R1 matches played and potentially playing 7 matches in 12 days. :shrug:

R.Federer
08-29-2006, 01:25 AM
And how do we know his wishes were to start on Wednesday? I can't imagine him liking the idea of being one of the last R1 matches played and potentially playing 7 matches in 12 days. :shrug:
We don't know, that's what I wrote above.
But it's pointless to jump to conclusions when we don't know what it is-- and you can be sure Roger will mention it in his interview, because he is quite candid that way. Bump this when he cries foul, if he does

Maybe it's just his USO jacket can't be refitted till Wednesday :cool:

Fee
08-29-2006, 01:26 AM
We won't know if it's a lack of respect until we see where they put him. If he plays at 7 pm on Wednesday, I'm guessing its because they see him as one of their strongest draws. The USTA isn't completely stupid, they at least know how to stuff cash into their pockets when it comes to this tournament regardless of what those of us here think.

MisterQ
08-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Hey, he doesn't have to work on Monday. Sounds good to me! ;)

Deboogle!.
08-29-2006, 01:28 AM
Doesn't Roger have his own forum to whine about these things in? My lord :yawn:

LLeytonRules
08-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Its all a big joke as i see it.Meanwhile Roddick is getting all this nice comfort. :o

nobama
08-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Maybe it's just his USO jacket can't be refitted till Wednesday :cool:You're probably right. :o

Scotso
08-29-2006, 01:48 AM
Finocchio.

Don't you have anything better to do?

Pea
08-29-2006, 01:52 AM
Obviously they want duckface to be well rested in case he does get far.:o It's 2003 all over again.

Johnny Groove
08-29-2006, 02:42 AM
Wow! what a non-issue! Who gives a fuck? Its not like it will hinder his chances against the almighty Jimmy Wang :rolleyes:

scoobs
08-29-2006, 02:43 AM
Roger will be philosophical about it so I will be too.

The impact will be minimal.

~*BGT*~
08-29-2006, 02:51 AM
Wow! what a non-issue! Who gives a fuck? Its not like it will hinder his chances against the almighty Jimmy Wang :rolleyes:
:haha:

NYCtennisfan
08-29-2006, 02:55 AM
Probably won't matter, but nobody would request a Wednesday start unless they were sick or recovering from an injury. Potentially playing 7 matches in 12 isn't what anyone wants.

Fee is right about the USTA making money part.

RogiFan88
08-29-2006, 03:05 AM
no player can request a certain day to start at the USO... whatever...

mishar
08-29-2006, 03:06 AM
I don't think anyone is going to play tomorrow, so he would have played Wednesday anyway... unless perhaps some people think the USTA is responsible for the rain -- they have a weather-making machine to help Roddick?

Regenbogen
08-29-2006, 03:07 AM
We won't know if it's a lack of respect until we see where they put him. If he plays at 7 pm on Wednesday, I'm guessing its because they see him as one of their strongest draws. The USTA isn't completely stupid, they at least know how to stuff cash into their pockets when it comes to this tournament regardless of what those of us here think.
Yeah, they probably just wanted a big name for Wednesday...I don't think it's a lack of respect

nobama
08-29-2006, 03:08 AM
Wow! what a non-issue! Who gives a fuck? Its not like it will hinder his chances against the almighty Jimmy Wang :rolleyes:Yeah because of course that's what it's about, Jimmy Wang. :rolleyes:

nobama
08-29-2006, 03:11 AM
I don't think anyone is going to play tomorrow, so he would have played Wednesday anyway... unless perhaps some people think the USTA is responsible for the rain -- they have a weather-making machine to help Roddick?What happens if no one plays tomorrow? Do all the matches for sure get finished on Wednesday (providing there's no rain)?

Btw, no where in my post did I insinuate the USTA is playing favorites with Roddick.

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 03:11 AM
A Federer fan pulling the disrespect card. You don't say.

Johnny Groove
08-29-2006, 03:12 AM
Yeah because of course that's what it's about, Jimmy Wang. :rolleyes:

O yeah, my mistake, even the scheduling of Roger's matches cant go on without bitching from the Fedtards :rolleyes:

anserq
08-29-2006, 03:13 AM
This is what i was wondering, so Federer is not playing until WEdnesday LOL? :S

Winston's Human
08-29-2006, 03:23 AM
Obviously they want duckface to be well rested in case he does get far.:o It's 2003 all over again.

In 2003, the Roddick-Ljubicic match was the last second round match played starting on Friday night and ending after midnight.

The USO has always spread the first two rounds over five days.

NYCtennisfan
08-29-2006, 03:24 AM
Despite the reaction of posters on this thread, it is unfair for any player to be scheduled on a Wednesday so a little bit more money can be milked out of the event. It doesn't matter who the player is, and that includes someone to whom it may not make much of a difference. If the elements force strange scheduling, that's one thing, but it should never be the case where a player is scheduled to play his 1st round match on a Wednesday when other players are playing their 2nd round matches. That's common sense and common courtesy to the players which the USTA seems to disregard.

robinhood
08-29-2006, 03:25 AM
It's stupid to spread R1 over three days to begin with, but if that is how they stick to do it, then someone has to play on Wednesday.

It's USO.
Naturally their players are going to be favored in any way they can be, just like how Murray, a non-seed, played all of his matches in the Center Court at Wimbledon.

If that is indeed what the USO scheduling people have in mind, then so be it.

tangerine_dream
08-29-2006, 03:26 AM
Another storm in a teacup.

cmurray
08-29-2006, 03:29 AM
It's all a plot! Yes, you see Wednesday August 30th is officially Disrespect Princess Roger day. EVERYONE knows that Wednesday is the most insulting day of the week. :rolleyes:

Seriously....I doubt Federer cares one way or the other. He's a big ticket name just like Rafa and Andy and Andre. They're just spreading the wealth, so to speak. It isn't like anyone in Fed's quarter is going to give him a run for it.

Cheryl

Deboogle!.
08-29-2006, 03:29 AM
It's stupid to spread R1 over three days to begin with, but if that is how they stick to do it, then someone has to play on Wednesday.Exactly. Which is why the whining in this thread is so ridiculous :lol:

Complain about the whole system, etc., fine, but I fail to see how this disrespects Roger. Just as I would fail to see how it disrespects any of the other players who will be scheduled on Wednesday.

robinhood
08-29-2006, 03:31 AM
Despite the reaction of posters on this thread, it is unfair for any player to be scheduled on a Wednesday so a little bit more money can be milked out of the event. It doesn't matter who the player is, and that includes someone to whom it may not make much of a difference. If the elements force strange scheduling, that's one thing, but it should never be the case where a player is scheduled to play his 1st round match on a Wednesday when other players are playing their 2nd round match. That's common sense and common courtesy to the players which the USTA seems to disregard.

Agreed.
IDIOTS! :mad:

scoobs
08-29-2006, 03:31 AM
If Nadal had been given the Wednesday slot the Nadal fans would have been equally up in arms at the perceived disadvantage.

All concerned should give it a rest. It is what it is.

NYCtennisfan
08-29-2006, 03:33 AM
Exactly. Which is why the whining in this thread is so ridiculous :lol:

Complain about the whole system, etc., fine, but I fail to see how this disrespects Roger. Just as I would fail to see how it disrespects any of the other players who will be scheduled on Wednesday.

As a player, would you want to be playing your first round match while another playing is playing their 2nd round match? For a lot of players it may not matter that much because they are not looking ahead and are just hoping to win their 1st round matches. For a player who is expecting to advance, it would seem that that would be irritated that they are playing catch up all the time.

~*BGT*~
08-29-2006, 03:36 AM
As a player, would you want to be playing your first round match while another playing is playing their 2nd round match? For a lot of players it may not matter that much because they are not looking ahead and are just hoping to win their 1st round matches. For a player who is expecting to advance, it would seem that that would be irritated that they are playing catch up all the time.

No one is playing 2nd round matches on Wednesday.

mishar
08-29-2006, 03:37 AM
What happens if no one plays tomorrow? Do all the matches for sure get finished on Wednesday (providing there's no rain)?

Btw, no where in my post did I insinuate the USTA is playing favorites with Roddick.

Yes, Mirkaland, I know, but i was responding to others. I agree that the three-day system Round 1 is stupid, but the tournament pays the players a huge amount of money, and the tournament has decided that's the best way to make money. I'm not even sure it's a disadvantage for the players who start on Wed, as I remember Roger stating at the French he didn't like having to wait two days after his 1st round match (as Andy must do after today.)

Weather.com says rain all day tomorrow. If the weather is good Wed, I'm sure all the 1st round matches will be finished, as well as 1/2 the women's 2nd round. They'll probably put Roger, Rafa and James on Center Court along with Serena and Maria.

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 03:37 AM

THere's only 1st round matches on Wednesday.

cmurray
08-29-2006, 03:41 AM
THere are no second round men's matches on Wednesday.

World Beater
08-29-2006, 03:43 AM
the usta figure that federer is superman, that it wont matter.

i never liked this one round spread over three days crap.

The point that many fail to realize is that it doesnt have to be fed, it could have been nadal. It probably wouldnt have been andy though that we can say. So yes given that roger is the champ and that he commands respect, it is surprising that the usta would do this to him...but given the stuff theyve done in the past, maybe it isnt.

for anybody else, it wouldnt be surprising. Why? Because they aren't roger.

NYCtennisfan
08-29-2006, 03:44 AM
I seem to recall 2nd round matches on Wednesday before, but I guess not this year :shrug:

In any case, I really doubt that the USTA will change anything anytime soon.

nobama
08-29-2006, 03:49 AM
John McEnroe just commented on this on USA. He said he didn't think Roger would be happy about this and playing 7 matches in 12 days is tough for anybody, including Roger. Then of course he says the good thing for Agassi if he wins is he gets two days off. :rolleyes: Of course it could have been Nadal that was scheduled for Wednesday. That's why this scheduling over three days is so :retard:.

cmurray
08-29-2006, 03:53 AM
I seem to recall 2nd round matches on Wednesday before, but I guess not this year :shrug:

In any case, I really doubt that the USTA will change anything anytime soon.

The women play second round on Wednesday, never the men. I've actually never liked that the USO spreads the 1st round over 3 days. It sucks for people trying to decide which day they want to attend if they want to see a particular player. In any case, I doubt it will affect Roger that much. I don't think it would really affect Rafa that much either.

Cheryl

Winston's Human
08-29-2006, 04:09 AM
I seem to recall that the Wednesday night session match is a second round match for the men.

Winston's Human
08-29-2006, 04:12 AM
According to the US Open website, the wednesday night match is a second round men's match.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/eventschedule.html

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 04:14 AM
For me the real issue is that spreading the 1st round over 3 days is DUMB DUMB DUMB. Especially with the weather issues that tend to happen this time of year. I don't think there's any conspiracy or anything like that going on.

Johnny Groove
08-29-2006, 04:15 AM
If Nadal had been given the Wednesday slot the Nadal fans would have been equally up in arms at the perceived disadvantage.

Not true. If youve noticed this year, its always Fedfans who are complaining about something. Whether it be one-dimension, court surface and speed, draws, scheduling, on-court coaching, whether or not rafa is gay, etc. etc. Those are most of the whining I see. I dont really see Nadal fans complaining about anything. Maybe its because Im biased a little, I dunno. I mostly see Fedfans crying over spilled milk :shrug:

cmurray
08-29-2006, 04:17 AM
According to the US Open website, the wednesday night match is a second round men's match.

I stand corrected. Don't remember that happening before. Obviously, I'm a moron. :p

Cheryl

scoobs
08-29-2006, 04:18 AM
Not true. If youve noticed this year, its always Fedfans who are complaining about something. Whether it be one-dimension, court surface and speed, draws, scheduling, on-court coaching, whether or not rafa is gay, etc. etc. Those are most of the whining I see. I dont really see Nadal fans complaining about anything. Maybe its because Im biased a little, I dunno. I mostly see Fedfans crying over spilled milk :shrug:
I don't agree, but whatever - my major point was IT DOESN'T MATTER

I'm fairly sure Roger's fans are far more up in arms about this than Roger himself will be.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-29-2006, 04:19 AM
I've always hated this shitty slam, it's a corporate fuck fest.

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 04:21 AM

I see...so Federer would probably be first on court, I assume.

Federer is always cool as a cucumber. I doubt this would phase him much. If it gets to become a clusterf*** like 2003, yea, maybe things will change. As it stands, no big deal

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 04:22 AM
I've always hated this shitty slam, it's a corporate fuck fest.

Somebody call the Whaaaaaaa-mbulance.

rofe
(Just wanted to say that just because this thread was started by a *gasp* Federer fan *gasp* doesn't mean that the point being made wasn't valid. Some people need to learn to discuss the issue instead of attacking the person.)

You are on MTF remember?

Deboogle!.
As a player, would you want to be playing your first round match while another playing is playing their 2nd round match? For a lot of players it may not matter that much because they are not looking ahead and are just hoping to win their 1st round matches. For a player who is expecting to advance, it would seem that that would be irritated that they are playing catch up all the time.That's completely irrelevant. I should hope that every player taking the court every day expects to advance :shrug: I'm sure he's not the first, nor will he be the last, high-ranked player who is likely to do well scheduled on Wednesday. Seriously, I doubt Roger is as worked up as some of his fans. If his fans wanted to discuss it in his forum, that's what it's there for, but to start a thread like this in GM just to whine about it boooooooohoooooooooo it just looks ridiculous.

cmurray
08-29-2006, 04:25 AM
I don't agree, but whatever - my major point was IT DOESN'T MATTER

I'm fairly sure Roger's fans are far more up in arms about this than Roger himself will be.

This is as true a thing as I've read all night. He might comment on it slightly, but this isn't the kind of thing that Roger is going to dwell on. Probably because he knows he'll dispatch of his early round opponents with a minimum of fuss and effort. Hard to complain when you're not really working that hard.

Cheryl

nobama
08-29-2006, 04:26 AM
Not true. If youve noticed this year, its always Fedfans who are complaining about something. Whether it be one-dimension, court surface and speed, draws, scheduling, on-court coaching, whether or not rafa is gay, etc. etc. Those are most of the whining I see. I dont really see Nadal fans complaining about anything. Maybe its because Im biased a little, I dunno. I mostly see Fedfans crying over spilled milk :shrug:Well none of that has come from me. Actually if you go to the Fed forum you'll see I'm one of the few who doesn't believe the draws are rigged in favor of Nadal and doesn't believe the powers that be are trying give Roger the shaft in favor of Nadal or anyone else. But he is the #1 player and 2 time defending USO champ. That should command a little respect. Even McEnroe said Roger wouldn't be happy with a Wednesday start.

World Beater
08-29-2006, 04:26 AM
That's completely irrelevant. I should hope that every player taking the court every day expects to advance :shrug: I'm sure he's not the first, nor will he be the last, high-ranked player who is likely to do well scheduled on Wednesday. Seriously, I doubt Roger is as worked up as some of his fans. If his fans wanted to discuss it in his forum, that's what it's there for, but to start a thread like this in GM just to whine about it boooooooohoooooooooo it just looks ridiculous.

perhaps it would help if everyone was not so focused on who started the thread or which specific player had to play on wed. Maybe people could focus on the big picture, but of course that would be too much to ask. :rolleyes:

rofe
08-29-2006, 04:27 AM
Fed is going to find it difficult - no question about that. Some players will be playing their second round on the same day. I think it is unfair but Fed should hopefully be able to pull through.

Deboogle!.
08-29-2006, 04:28 AM
perhaps it would help if everyone was not so focused on who started the thread or which specific player had to play on wed. Maybe people could focus on the big picture, but of course that would be too much to ask. :rolleyes:But this thread was not started to discuss the merits of the 3-day first round structure. This thread was started to express frustration with the "disrespect" of Roger. Sorry, this is a whining thread and I don't see how you can possibly slice it any other way. If you want to talk about the 3-day first round in general, start a new thread :p

Roger's a champion, I'm sure he can handle it just fine. :)

so you can all keep going, I've said my piece.

nobama
08-29-2006, 04:29 AM
This is as true a thing as I've read all night. He might comment on it slightly, but this isn't the kind of thing that Roger is going to dwell on. Probably because he knows he'll dispatch of his early round opponents with a minimum of fuss and effort. Hard to complain when you're not really working that hard.

CherylOf course that's why they do it because they know he won't complain about it. As far as not working hard there were a number of players today - like Robredo, Roddick, Gasquet who didn't have to work very hard. It's not like all these other players struggle out there and Roger cuts through his opponents like a hot knife through butter.

scoobs
08-29-2006, 04:30 AM
Federer has very comfortable opening rounds, while this isn't ideal for him, he's unlikely to be overly discomfited by it in the broad sweep of this tournament. He's used to the US Open being a bit stop-start and as a champion he will take it in his stride

Skyward
08-29-2006, 04:30 AM
That's completely irrelevant. I should hope that every player taking the court every day expects to advance :shrug:

Yeah, right. All 128 players live in the Fantasy Land and expect to play 7 matches. :rolleyes:

World Beater
08-29-2006, 04:36 AM
But this thread was not started to discuss the merits of the 3-day first round structure. This thread was started to express frustration with the "disrespect" of Roger. Sorry, this is a whining thread and I don't see how you can possibly slice it any other way. If you want to talk about the 3-day first round in general, start a new thread :p

Roger's a champion, I'm sure he can handle it just fine. :)

so you can all keep going, I've said my piece.

see here i think you are missing the point. Just because rodge is a champion or that he can handle it doesn't make what's happening correct in principle. Just because he probably will roll over his opponent doesnt justify what the usta doing.

Also, because roger is the def champion and is #1, it is a sign of disrespect. For the usta to do this to anyone else would go unnoticed, but because its roger and seeing how he commands respect from everyone around the world, it is strange that the usta is not being considerate. For anyone else, this would not raise an eyebrow and rightly so. Because they dont command the same respect.

nobama
08-29-2006, 04:50 AM
see here i think you are missing the point. Just because rodge is a champion or that he can handle it doesn't make what's happening correct in principle. Just because he probably will roll over his opponent doesnt justify what the usta doing.

Also, because roger is the def champion and is #1, it is a sign of disrespect. For the usta to do this to anyone else would go unnoticed, but because its roger and seeing how he commands respect from everyone around the world, it is strange that the usta is not being considerate. For anyone else, this would not raise an eyebrow and rightly so. Because they dont command the same respect.The scheduling here is just crap. Last year Fed played his R1 match at 11am on Tuesday and then didn't play his 2nd round match until Friday night. To me it makes no sense that a player would have basically three days in between R1 and R2. Same thing will probably happen with Andre too this year...I'm sure he won't play again until Friday night.

Clara Bow
08-29-2006, 04:58 AM
Regardless of what player is playing their first round match on Wednesday- I hate that system- and I also hate Super Saturday.

DrJules
08-29-2006, 06:26 AM
Union of Stupid Tennis Administrators = USTA

3 days to play first round and, hence, 5 to play first 2 rounds.

Next week is "Stupid" saturday before the final when a mens tennis player could play 5 set matches on successive days. :silly:

soraya
08-29-2006, 06:27 AM
Finocchio.

sei terribile!!!!!!!!!!

Allez
08-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Why weren't Agassi and Roddick scheduled to play their 1st matches on Wednesday ? It was like this last year for Fed as well. Very late matches, two day breaks, consecutive days of playing etc god knows how he managed to get any sleep at all let alone maintain his rythm. Were it completeley up to them Fed would not win another USO period. Bastards :mad:

soraya
08-29-2006, 06:46 AM
It's stupid to spread R1 over three days to begin with, but if that is how they stick to do it, then someone has to play on Wednesday.

It's USO.
Naturally their players are going to be favored in any way they can be, just like how Murray, a non-seed, played all of his matches in the Center Court at Wimbledon.

If that is indeed what the USO scheduling people have in mind, then so be it.

I think by following your logic here, all players whose country is not represented in the ATP and the slams will remain disadvantaged. I do understand your reasoning, but I think it is unfair to certain players and this kind of favoritism can only lead to resentment and it won't do any good to the sport. It reminds me of few years back when kafelnikov skipped the US for reasons similar to this one ...if I remember correctly. What a pity!

Action Jackson
08-29-2006, 08:24 AM
The USTA scheduling is crap and rain is wet, both of these are revolutionary ideas.

Winston's Human
08-29-2006, 11:25 AM
The scheduling here is just crap. Last year Fed played his R1 match at 11am on Tuesday and then didn't play his 2nd round match until Friday night. To me it makes no sense that a player would have basically three days in between R1 and R2. Same thing will probably happen with Andre too this year...I'm sure he won't play again until Friday night.

Agassi-Baghdatis will be the featured match on Thursday night.

ezekiel
08-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Poor Fed, everyone disses him :hug:

nobama
08-29-2006, 11:44 AM
So only two top 10 players are scheduled for Wednesday - Federer and Davydenko. Davydenko you could almost understand because he was in the New Haven final. Although so was Davenport and they put her out there on Monday. Once again you'll have a situation where there's either several days in between matches or you're playing back-to-back. :rolleyes:

nobama
08-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Agassi-Baghdatis will be the featured match on Thursday night.So if no matches get played today will Roddick still be the featured night match on Wednesday? Or will he get pushed out to Thursday?

Winston's Human
08-29-2006, 11:51 AM
If no matches are played today, they will probably push all the matches back and compress the second round into two days (Thursday and Friday).

Castafiore
08-29-2006, 11:54 AM
The schedule is far from perfect perhaps but it's not ideal for several people.
Remember Wimbledon? Roddick got a bad deal for more than one round.
Most of these players get a bad schedule now and again. That doesn't have to mean that the ATP does not respect them or anything.
Granted, it often seems to favor home players (just like Henman/Murray in Wimbledon for example) and many of the players don't have a "home slam" so they don't have the advantage of the home crowd either but what can you do about these things?

But, we could perhaps wait to see what happens today with the weather and the matches before we start to worry about tomorrow's matches.

Jimnik
08-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Federer fans don't need to moan anymore. Even if he'd been scheduled for Tuesday, it wouldn't have made a difference. :rain:

Corey Feldman
08-30-2006, 12:31 AM
did roger ask for a WED start?
well as a fed fan, im not that bothered... but it is a bit iffy.

its ironic to see a few posts complianing about the 3 days for 1st rounders here, as this is what it could be like if this round robin crap happens next year at the smaller events.

Havok
08-30-2006, 12:35 AM
I never get why they spread the 1r over 3 days, since everything fits perfectly if players play each round every second day. A little disrespect to Federer, but I don't think it's an abomination or something so important. He starts on Wednesday nobody should get their panties in a twist over something so childish and unimportant as this really.

Corey Feldman
08-30-2006, 12:44 AM
i said earlier in this thread that they saved the best for last.

every tournie has its own way, at Wimbledon a champion is honored by being out at at 1pm every monday, at the US Open you are nudged out when they feel like it.

nobama
08-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Hmm...only one second round match is being played tomorrow.....Roddick. So rather than put Nadal or Federer on court tomorrow night, they stick Roddick out there. How is it that he gets to complete his 2nd round match a day before anyone else?

Johnny Groove
08-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Hmm...only one second round match is being played tomorrow.....Roddick. So rather than put Nadal or Federer on court tomorrow night, they stick Roddick out there. How is it that he gets to complete his 2nd round match a day before anyone else?

BECAUSE THATS HOW IT ALWAYS WORKS!!! Nadal got to play his 2nd round match on Wednesday last year, and Fed the same in 04.

Havok
08-30-2006, 12:54 AM
One extra day DOES NOT FUCKING MEAN ANYTHING holy crap. You're in the 1st and 2nd rounds beating up on shit players you hardly need much time to rest between matches. Also let's not forget that the rain fucked up an ENTIRE DAY'S WORTH of scheduling as well. You know just in case a select few simply forgot about that.;)

Grinder
08-30-2006, 02:15 AM
shut your hole muppet.

Muppet? :eek:

You're quite the verbal assassin!

Corey Feldman
08-30-2006, 02:40 AM
Ok Grunter.
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/crazy.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/crazy.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/crazy.gif

Jennay
08-30-2006, 02:40 AM
Scared? ;)

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2006, 03:12 AM
I seem to recall that the Wednesday night session match is a second round match for the men.

Ah yes, this is what I remember and it will continue again this year.

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2006, 03:17 AM
That's completely irrelevant. I should hope that every player taking the court every day expects to advance :shrug: I'm sure he's not the first, nor will he be the last, high-ranked player who is likely to do well scheduled on Wednesday. Seriously, I doubt Roger is as worked up as some of his fans. If his fans wanted to discuss it in his forum, that's what it's there for, but to start a thread like this in GM just to whine about it boooooooohoooooooooo it just looks ridiculous.

Of course everyone hopes to advance, but they are realisitc about it. A player who is not ranked highly will usually have a difficult first round match, or at least a more difficult one than someone ranked near the top. They can't be thinking about advancing whereas top-ranked players playing nobodies have probably penciled themselves ahead in the draw.

In any case, it's not fair to have one player play his second round match on Wednesday when everyone else will play theirs on Thursday or Friday. It's also not fair to have a player potentially play 7 matches in 12 days. It's not about who started the thread or the player is being discussed. This type of scheduling is not fair to the players.

MarieS
08-30-2006, 03:29 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I read on tennis-x (ie one of the posters there posted) that John McEnroe was on some local radio and said that CBS dictates scheduling, and that's why Fed's on Wed-Fri-Sun.

JW10S
08-30-2006, 03:34 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I read on tennis-x (ie one of the posters there posted) that John McEnroe was on some local radio and said that CBS dictates scheduling, and that's why Fed's on Wed-Fri-Sun.

CBS is not broadcasting the Open on Wed or Fri. I'm not saying that the television networks, who pay big bucks for the broadcast rights, have no say in the scheduling it appears to not be the case re: Federer's first 2 rounds.

buddyholly
08-30-2006, 03:35 AM
They probably know that nobody wants to see Federer's early round matches anyway.
People want to see Roddick, Agassi, Venus and Maria.

MarieS
08-30-2006, 03:43 AM
CBS is not broadcasting the Open on Wed or Fri. I'm not saying that the television networks, who pay big bucks for the broadcast rights, have no say in the scheduling it appears to not be the case re: Federer's first 2 rounds.
I know, but perhaps they are aligning the coverage to get him on sunday. It doesn't make much sense but then again what scheduling decision by US networks regarding tennis does?

Blaze
08-30-2006, 03:47 AM
I know, but perhaps they are aligning the coverage to get him on sunday. It doesn't make much sense but then again what scheduling decision by US networks regarding tennis does?

If this is true maybe they want Federer on Sunday so that CBS could show Roddick and Agassi on Monday, which is Labor day and a holiday

Winston's Human
08-30-2006, 03:52 AM
I think that CBS is praying for a Roddick-Agassi showdown for their Labor Day broadcast.

avinash
08-30-2006, 04:14 AM
:wavey: theee americans never cease to amaze... :eek:

USA .... Wonders never cease

and of course not to mention tv coverage is only on us players hahaah, what will happen when all will get knocked out in first week itself.

:devil:

ExpectedWinner
08-30-2006, 05:22 AM
You're in the 1st and 2nd rounds beating up on shit players you hardly need much time to rest between matches.

I'm just curious. Are you talking from your personal experience?

Mistaflava
08-30-2006, 07:42 AM
this thread makes it completely obvious now that MTF needs to open a special 'Whiners and Bitchers' forum...

Mirkaland...ridiculous thread.

Deivid23
08-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Another whining thread from a Fedtard come Grand Slam time, like clockwork :retard:

jenanun
08-30-2006, 12:26 PM
so what? USO always have R1 spread in 3 days....

someone has to start playing on wed...

maybe someone finds it logical that the no.1 should skip the 1st round in order to show some respect....

All_Slam_Andre
08-30-2006, 12:32 PM
I find that totally ridiculous that with the the first round dramatically behind schedule, Roddick's 2nd round match is due to be played today. This is the only 2nd match to be played today, on any court. I bet if Roddick and Rafa were to play in the semi-finals, Roddick would have had much rest that Rafa leading up to the match. The USTA is terrible at scheduling.

On the subject of Federer being scheduled to play today, so was the Henman-Rusedski match anyway so it's not like his 2nd round opponent would have had extra rest. The biggest stars of this tournament in no particular order are Agassi, Federer, Nadal, Roddick and Blake (a local boy) so if the first round is spread over three days (which it always has been), it makes sense to have the stars also spread out.

bokehlicious
08-30-2006, 01:59 PM

Blah blah blah :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Mistaflava
08-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Homecourt advantage is not against the rules.

Stop all the bitching...

ca1houn
08-30-2006, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=Mistaflava]Homecourt advantage is not against the rules.

True but I wouldn't be surprise if roddick is into the quarter before Federer and Nadal are even pass the 2 rd

tangerine_dream
09-07-2006, 03:35 PM
:lol:

Do you think Roger might be feeling less than loved, considering he has played two matches on Armstrong (one scheduled for tomorrow) while A. Roddick, the number 9 seed, gets Ashe every time? Seems to me being number 1 you should get the show court all the time. Simple sign of respect. -- Kat, Glendale

This has been a popular theme this week: "Look how Roger Federer is disrespected in the United States. He's toiling away on Armstrong while Andy Roddick and James Blake play the big house." One problem with this thesis: Federer has been complicit in the court assignments. He knows that if he plays early, the match will be televised in prime-time in Europe. (And he knows that if he plays early, he can get out of here and continue his swath of destruction through the best restaurants in Manhattan.) If you want to make the case that Federer is underappreciated in the U.S., I'm with you. But don't use his court assignment as evidence.

cmurray
09-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm not sure I'd say he was under-appreciated by Americans. Maybe the USTA under-values him, but fans are VERY eager to watch him play. Even I, as a non-fan, take the opportunity to watch Roger play live whenever I go to a tourney. Because frankly, nobody compares tennis-wise.

JCF
09-07-2006, 03:49 PM
1. His personality is not that great
2. He wins most of his matches so easily
3. He doesn't show much emotion on court

Not everything revolves around him, he's not as marketable in the US as some other players, get over it.

Experimentee
09-07-2006, 04:25 PM
There was nothing wrong with that. They usually schedule R1 over 3 days, and they need a big drawcard to play on each day. Its not like a late start hindered his chances, he had a days rest like everyone else.

revolution
09-07-2006, 04:27 PM
mirkaland :yawn:

ExpectedWinner
09-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Do you think Roger might be feeling less than loved, considering he has played two matches on Armstrong (one scheduled for tomorrow) while A. Roddick, the number 9 seed, gets Ashe every time? Seems to me being number 1 you should get the show court all the time. Simple sign of respect. -- Kat, Glendale

This has been a popular theme this week: "Look how Roger Federer is disrespected in the United States. He's toiling away on Armstrong while Andy Roddick and James Blake play the big house." One problem with this thesis: Federer has been complicit in the court assignments. He knows that if he plays early, the match will be televised in prime-time in Europe. (And he knows that if he plays early, he can get out of here and continue his swath of destruction through the best restaurants in Manhattan.) If you want to make the case that Federer is underappreciated in the U.S., I'm with you. But don't use his court assignment as evidence.

LOL. Is it safe to say that he didn't care about Manhattan restaurants and being televised in Europe last year? He played a lot of night mathes in 2005.

Of course, only an injured/sick player would ask for Wed start at an GS tournament.

As for being involed with the schedule, I guess it has more to do with the attempt to fit the matches between the rains than anything else. Anyhow, he ended up with the probability of playing 4 best of 5 matches in 5 days. To he honest, I can envision a lot of people smiling at this prospect.