it must suck to be Pavel right now [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

it must suck to be Pavel right now

DustMan
08-29-2006, 12:53 AM
if he wins everyone will hate him lol

Kalliopeia
08-29-2006, 12:55 AM

I was just thinking that when Courier was talking to him, "God it must suck to be that guy right now." And when he goes "I hope five or six people will be cheering for me," Courier says "It depends on how many people are in your box." :eek: I mean, ok, it's true, but that was kind of rude.

hanabishi
08-29-2006, 12:57 AM

which sucks because from what I've heard, Andrei Pavel is acually a very nice guy.

LLeytonRules
08-29-2006, 12:57 AM
If i was Pavel, i would be like who cares!I would have that me against the whole world mentality and rain in on the parade! :mad: :p

hanabishi
08-29-2006, 01:24 AM
Speaking of Pavel, here's an amazing story I've read about him:

During the 2002 French Open, Pavel reached the quarter-finals which is the best result for him for a slam. Before his rain-delayed QF match with Alex Corretja, he got word that his wife was already going on labor in Germany with their second child. So he travelled all the way from Paris to Germany to witness the birth of his son Marius, and then went back to Paris to finish his match. Of course, he lost that match in straight sets. But he earned all my respect for knowing what his priorities are. I mean, he could have chosen to stay in Paris to possibly reach the semis of a slam, but he chose to be with family.

tangerine_dream
08-29-2006, 01:43 AM
5-4 in the first set, I love that the geezer 35 year old Andre skips around the court like a little boy whenever he makes a great get. :lol:

LLeytonRules
08-29-2006, 01:56 AM
Pavel showed some fighting spirit in that first set.Looks like Agassi will have too earn this one.

Pea
08-29-2006, 02:02 AM
Go Andrei! Do it for me! End it for him!

Scotso
08-29-2006, 02:08 AM
The crowd is being rather shitty. Even clapping for Pavel's first serve faults.

Pavel doesn't seem phased, though.

Kalliopeia
08-29-2006, 02:14 AM
The crowd is being rather shitty. Even clapping for Pavel's first serve faults.

Pavel doesn't seem phased, though.

Not unexpected though, they did the same thing to Andre when he played Connors back in...91?

NaDALiTa
08-29-2006, 02:22 AM
i hate those patriotics crowd :o Pavel is such a nice guy he doesn't deserved it.Why can't they support André without being wicked w/ his opponent ? I call it fair play.....and american crowds lack desperately of it!!!!!!

Scotso
08-29-2006, 02:24 AM
i hate those patriotics crowd :o Pavel is such a nice guy he doesn't deserved it.Why can't they support André without being wicked w/ his opponent ? I call it fair play.....and american crowds lack desperately of it!!!!!!

Did you watch the Davis Cup final in Spain with Spain vs. US? Thanks.

It happens everywhere, but it's sad.

NaDALiTa
08-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Did you watch the Davis Cup final in Spain with Spain vs. US? Thanks.

It happens everywhere, but it's sad.

I'm not spanish but french, and all that i can conclude is that french crowd is dreadfull too , what they did in 2005 during Nadal/Grosjean left me a bitter taste!!I'm not only speaking for american but for every countries except Australia and England , they are the two slam where people has a lot of respect!!!

I saw the DC final, and the spanish public went to far. Even if during the DC we can be more tolerant because two countries are confronted the rivalitie isn't between 2 players but between 2 nations, it's kind of different so chauvinism is more acceptable!! Spain crossed the line during this final (as i was for spain it didn't disturbed me, but i've noticed it and i condemn it!! )

tennisforumname
08-29-2006, 02:44 AM
i totally agree about the courier comment- my mouth dropped open when he said that. i am 110% for andre to win, as i'm sure almost the entire crowd is, but that was still a little harsh/unnecessary.

i'm really hoping andre pulls through, but at least pavel seems like a nice guy, so it's kind of hard to hate him.

neenah
08-29-2006, 03:02 AM

I know what you mean. But I think the cheers at Pavel's mistakes are more because of hope for Agassi rather than putting Pavel down. But of course, the crowd does choose sides and Agassi is the heavy favorite.

_pyromatic
08-29-2006, 03:10 AM
Well, at least they're cheering "Go Andre(i)!" :angel:

Winston's Human
08-29-2006, 03:25 AM
Speaking of Pavel, here's an amazing story I've read about him:

During the 2002 French Open, Pavel reached the quarter-finals which is the best result for him for a slam. Before his rain-delayed QF match with Alex Corretja, he got word that his wife was already going on labor in Germany with their second child. So he travelled all the way from Paris to Germany to witness the birth of his son Marius, and then went back to Paris to finish his match. Of course, he lost that match in straight sets. But he earned all my respect for knowing what his priorities are. I mean, he could have chosen to stay in Paris to possibly reach the semis of a slam, but he chose to be with family.

This story is why I too will always have tremendous respect for Andrei Pavel.

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 03:36 AM
New York crowds are pretty fierce, especially the night matches. I feel bad for Pavel

rofe
08-29-2006, 03:37 AM
This is the only reason I'm hoping Agassi leaves early. It's nothing against him, I just can't stand it when crowds are that crass, from any nation. I understand wanting your guy to win and I don't mind loud crowds, but cheering first serve faults and booing/heckling is over the line.

I agree. The crowd is just pathetic. :(

Nawoo
08-29-2006, 03:37 AM
it's human nature. any crowd would do that for their own icon and legend.

Accept it.

oschemi
08-29-2006, 03:39 AM
it's human nature. any crowd would do that for their own icon and legend.

Accept it.

I really don't care, this crowd is acting like a pack of wild animals. It is really terrible and I am ashamed. :mad:

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 03:40 AM
We accept it. We don't have to like it!

I think it's the same at the French Open. Aussie Open and Wimbledon crowds are tamer.

oschemi
08-29-2006, 03:42 AM
We accept it. We don't have to like it!

I think it's the same at the French Open. Aussie Open and Wimbledon crowds are tamer.

I know they want Agassi to win and so do I. However, animalistic behavior such as this is unacceptable and I am not for it.

tangerine_dream
08-29-2006, 03:42 AM
There's nothing wrong with the crowd. Cheering for df's, ue's, that happens everywhere in every tournament.

Pavel and the other players who may play Agassi next know exactly what they'll have to deal with, they expect it, and it's part of sport.

I think the crowd has been terrific, they're obviously pro-Andre but it's not like their anti-Pavel. There has been no booing of Pavel whatsoever, and nobody's been trying to disrupt him while he's serving. That's all that matters, imo.

oschemi
08-29-2006, 03:44 AM
There's nothing wrong with the crowd. Cheering for df's, ue's, that happens everywhere in every tournament.

Pavel and the other players who may play Agassi next know exactly what they'll have to deal with, they expect it, and it's part of sport.

I think the crowd has been terrific, they're obviously pro-Andre but it's not like their anti-Pavel. There has been no booing of Pavel whatsoever, and nobody's been trying to disrupt him while he's serving. That's all that matters, imo.

Not trying to be rude but I do not think we are watching the same match. They have booed and cursed and any other thing one can think of. It is a pity that pple have to be like this. Thank God I am not

scoobs
08-29-2006, 03:45 AM
The crowd are a bit rowdy but to be honest I've seen much worse - from the Brits even, and especially at the French - the French make this bunch look placid.

It is tough on Pavel but it's not like he didn't know exactly what to expect.

robinhood
08-29-2006, 03:46 AM
I was just thinking that when Courier was talking to him, "God it must suck to be that guy right now." And when he goes "I hope five or six people will be cheering for me," Courier says "It depends on how many people are in your box." :eek: I mean, ok, it's true, but that was kind of rude.

VERY RUDE! :mad:
I'm so glad that Pavel is playing so well right now.

tangerine_dream
Not trying to be rude but I do not think we are watching the same match. They have booed and cursed and any other thing one can think of. It is a pity that pple have to be like this. Thank God I am not
Indeed we aren't watching the same match because there absolutely hasn't been any booing or cursing. :lol:

cmurray
This is the only reason I'm hoping Agassi leaves early. It's nothing against him, I just can't stand it when crowds are that crass, from any nation. I understand wanting your guy to win and I don't mind loud crowds, but cheering first serve faults and booing/heckling is over the line.

I understand the frustration, but Andre shouldn't be held responsible for what the crowd does. It isn't like he's pulling a Jimmy Connors, trying to get the crowd wound up.

Cheryl

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 03:47 AM
oschemi: I don't know about cursing. But there was definitely booing and jeers. Nothing TOO extreme mind you. Yet.

brent-o
08-29-2006, 03:48 AM
From what I've seen from this match, Pavel is an ass. I mean, that's not to say I wouldn't react the same in that situation considering how one-sided the crowd is, but early on he was laughing mockingly at the replay challenge when it went against him. Get over it! I do kind of feel bad for him though...

JadexD
08-29-2006, 03:51 AM
I like Andre and all considering that he's almost a legend but the crowd is really rude and Pavel is a nice guy. If Pavel wins, he can finally prove something and shut them up. But then it has to be at Andre's expense...and this is his last tournament.
I really don't know who I want to win.

scoobs
08-29-2006, 03:55 AM
Okay NOW they're starting to get obnoxious when Pavel gets a bit frustrated at a foot-fault call.

They're determined to insert themselves into this tiebreak until Andre has it won

Jagermeister
08-29-2006, 03:56 AM
Heaven forbid we have another freakshow like Connors in '91. Yuck.

They've booed Pavel a couple of times in the TB. Just FYI :)

World Beater
08-29-2006, 04:01 AM
if pavel loses, they will give him his due at the end. Just not now

Magenta
08-29-2006, 04:02 AM
Okay NOW they're starting to get obnoxious when Pavel gets a bit frustrated at a foot-fault call.

They're determined to insert themselves into this tiebreak until Andre has it won

Exactly. I can't help but feel very sorry for Pavel.
It must be hard being the 'enemy'.

martinatreue
08-29-2006, 04:03 AM
I would like to be underneath Pavel or giving him a massage on his naked bod. :o

cmurray
08-29-2006, 04:03 AM
In the crowd's defense (though they are being a bit nasty) they don't want Pavel to lose, they just want Andre to win, you know what I mean?

I'm sorry. I'm not excusing the cheering for a service fault - this is all very emotional to me. For the entire 18 years of my life that I've been a fan, Andre has BEEN tennis. It's hard to believe that this is it.

tangerine_dream
08-29-2006, 04:07 AM
In the crowd's defense (though they are being a bit nasty) they don't want Pavel to lose, they just want Andre to win, you know what I mean?
Exactly.

At 4-2 in the third TB, I finally heard some boos when Pavel kicked away a ball. Silly Pavel, soccer's not our game here—he's gotta smack the ball out of the stadium like baseball. :lol:

MarieS
08-29-2006, 05:24 AM
i missed the end :o, did pavel at least get recognized by the crowd?

soraya
08-29-2006, 06:20 AM
my 14 years old said this is a no win situation for Pavel. I agree and I feel for the guy...

Kalliopeia
08-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Indeed we aren't watching the same match because there absolutely hasn't been any booing or cursing. :lol:

There was some booing at some point but I couldn't tell what they were booing. John McEnroe mentioned it and didn't seem to know what the deal was either, it was between points and nothing was going on that I could see.

Of course later a few people booed when Pavel kicked the ball and such. But it was never the whole crowd, just a few people. And let's face it, this is the US Open, and Andre is an American and a legend. The crowds are going to be like this for him. Andre's been on the receiving end of it himself. I'm sure everyone he plays knows it's coming.