Try Working Out Donald [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Try Working Out Donald

RickDaStick
08-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Q. Are you lifting weights or something?
DONALD YOUNG: No.

How does he expect to get stronger and fitter. Seems like a lot of his matches the 1st set is close then he goes away most likely due to not being very fit.

Deboogle!.
08-29-2006, 12:37 AM
You realize he just turned 17 right?

acharlesmobile
08-29-2006, 12:44 AM
17 year olds are more than developed enough to work out. Kids start worknig out at 13 without much deletereious effect to their growth.

RickDaStick
08-29-2006, 12:46 AM

17 is plenty old enought to be doing weight training and such its not like he is 10. I bet you Rafa was spending a lot of time in the weight room when he was 17.

atheneglaukopis
08-29-2006, 12:49 AM
17 is plenty old enought to be doing weight training and such its not like he is 10. I bet you Rafa was spending a lot of time in the weight room when he was 17.:shrug: Maybe. He says he doesn't do it much now, that it's all luck of the gene pool. That said, maybe without that gene pool Young might consider weight-lifting for himself.

Scotso
08-29-2006, 01:11 AM

Yet still acts like a 2 year old. :shrug:

Deboogle!.
08-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Scott, how he acts is entirely irrelevant to this discussion. He clearly hasn't hit his growth spurt. I mean, I'm not the kid's biggest fan but physically he very much looks like he is still a kid. Rafa was obviously pretty developed pretty early. Maybe Young isn't ready. My god, so judgmental.

Scotso
08-29-2006, 01:47 AM
Everyone judges, don't act like you don't. The fact is that Donald constantly talks a big game and tries to play with the big boys... it's no one's fault but his own. He obviously isn't ready, but he continues to take the WCs.

*Viva Chile*
08-29-2006, 02:28 AM
17 is plenty old enought to be doing weight training and such its not like he is 10. I bet you Rafa was spending a lot of time in the weight room when he was 17.
All spanish players had to been educated since kids in develop their fitness because they always said that prior to be a tennis player, it must to be an athlete ;)

World Beater
08-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Everyone judges, don't act like you don't. The fact is that Donald constantly talks a big game and tries to play with the big boys... it's no one's fault but his own. He obviously isn't ready, but he continues to take the WCs.

you do realize that he won this WC...It wasnt a favor that the usta or img did for him.

its pretty obvious he is the best junior right now, and i think he knows that he isnt totally ready to beat the big boys yet. But give him some time. If people are criticizing him left and right, you expect him to sit there and take it?

So what if he is adamant about it, all players need confidence the borders on arrogance...thats maybe why he is playing and many of us are sitting here. if you want to diss him when he is 23, ok fine...but not yet. The guy has just turned 17. give him a chance. The kid obviously has talent.

Scotso
08-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Uh, he's not the best junior right now, sorry.

MurrayFan1
08-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Supposedly he was playing like he didn't really care in the last set or 2.

supersexynadal
08-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Hes old enough to work out but maybe he thought the guy asked him if he was lifting weights as in the huge ones u purposely use to get bigger arms, not the regular machines all players use.

boliviana
08-29-2006, 04:03 PM
He is a young guy who is getting bad advice from somebody . . . where is the USTA on someone like him? Kid has talent clearly . . . now is it a matter of heart and soul (taylor dent anyone?)

cincy
08-29-2006, 04:41 PM
He is a young guy who is getting bad advice from somebody . . . where is the USTA on someone like him? Kid has talent clearly . . . now is it a matter of heart and soul (taylor dent anyone?)

The parents coaching Donald. They don't allow the USTA or anybody else near him. :rolleyes: The parents think they know what's good for their baby and throwing him into these ATP tournaments so he can lose in the first round is apparently what they want for him. :mad:

Donald won that first set yesterday and it was the first set he has won against any opponent in all the ATP tournaments he has played these past two years. He said it gave him confidence. :confused: I guess he doesn't know that when you get confidence early in a match you are supposed to get better and better and go on to win that match. :sad: