How far can Lopez go? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How far can Lopez go?

KaxMisha
08-29-2006, 01:05 AM
Even though Ljubicic clearly wasn't on top of his game tonight, Lopez still played an amazing match. Assuming his level won't go down (which is highly unlikely, but still), how far do you think he could make it? He certainly could trouble virtually all players with that serve, his great volleying ability and a kick-ass forehand, and he sure as hell could trouble Nadal with that game, should he make it that far. What are your thoughts?

Regenbogen
08-29-2006, 01:07 AM
I think he would lose to Gasquet in R3, if they play

KaxMisha
08-29-2006, 01:16 AM
You think he would lose to Gasquet the way he played today? I find that unlikely. I don't think Gasquet could cope with that serve in combination with his volley follow-ups on a surface as fast as this one. To take him out the way he played today, you need to have
1)an excellent return of serve
2) the ability to kill the ball to his backhand very accurately
Having said that, I grant you that Gasquet would be the favorite if Lopez played on his normal level. The way he played today, though - I don't think so.

daze11
08-29-2006, 02:07 AM
well, the difference between the top players and the non-elite (lopez was 14-21 this year coming in to the open) is that they produce their best tennis with much greater consistency. many of the lower ranked players can put it all together and have a superb and stunning match, but it doesnt become a habit.

but he played great, and well....he's definitely gonna make at least the second round in this year's us open. :D ;)

KaxMisha
08-29-2006, 03:05 AM
well, the difference between the top players and the non-elite (lopez was 14-21 this year coming in to the open) is that they produce their best tennis with much greater consistency. many of the lower ranked players can put it all together and have a superb and stunning match, but it doesnt become a habit.

You are absolutely correct. I hinted at this by saying that it is highly unlikely that Lopez will be able to keep this level throughout the tournament. However, what I want to do here is to see how far people think he can go IF he actually does. I don't think Nadal would beat him the way he played today. Not sure about Roddick, but I would give Lopez the edge.

daze11
08-29-2006, 03:42 AM
You are absolutely correct. I hinted at this by saying that it is highly unlikely that Lopez will be able to keep this level throughout the tournament. However, what I want to do here is to see how far people think he can go IF he actually does. I don't think Nadal would beat him the way he played today. Not sure about Roddick, but I would give Lopez the edge.
i hear you; its just so reminiscent of muller taking out roddick in the 1R of last year's open, looking so great, and then blah in the 2R. but good luck to him!! :)

Puschkin
08-29-2006, 09:40 AM
You think he would lose to Gasquet the way he played today? I was asking myself the same question, and I think Richard could have grinded it out involving Lopez in long rallies which Ljubicic was not able to do very often, and if he did he could not hit the decisive winner. Besides, Ljubicic's BH was poor yesterday. The 3-0 H/H is also an advantage for Gasquet.

Halba
08-29-2006, 09:43 AM
tennis is about matchups, ljubicic was shit anyway

gasquet is not

samius
08-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Lopez can go to the third round. After that, it will be difficult.

vamosnadal
08-29-2006, 10:07 AM
I saw an interesting match between Lopez and Gasquet at one of the clay tournaments following Wimbledon. It was actually pretty close and Lopez's game was definitely not at its best. (Also unlike all the other Spanish, clay is his worst surface) I therefore think that Lopez could beat Gasquet in theory, but unfortunately he is so inconsistent he could also go out next round in straight sets. I would love to see him do well, but I fear we have seen the best of Lopez last night and it will all go a bit downhill from now on!

supersexynadal
08-29-2006, 11:07 AM
If he faces gasquet i bet he has a good chance of winning knowing that hes got nothing to lose. How old is he, 22?? Something like that. Hes still got a long way to go if he stays consistent. Id be shocked if he does what ljubibicic did and became number 3 at 27!!

Ferrero Forever
08-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Why not go all the way? VAMOS FELI!!!

bokehlicious
08-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Chiudinelli will take care of him :o :D

marcelwks
08-29-2006, 11:21 AM
He can lose to Chiudinelli . He will be big favourite and he doesn't like this kind situation . Loosing this year in two sets to Vik , Faurel , Bozoljac and playing 3sets with Kuznetsov or Klec . But if he win I'm sure Gasquet will beat him :p

Halba
08-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Even though Ljubicic clearly wasn't on top of his game tonight, Lopez still played an amazing match. Assuming his level won't go down (which is highly unlikely, but still), how far do you think he could make it? He certainly could trouble virtually all players with that serve, his great volleying ability and a kick-ass forehand, and he sure as hell could trouble Nadal with that game, should he make it that far. What are your thoughts?

i wouldn't read too much in this match...lubishitz lol

KaxMisha
08-29-2006, 02:05 PM
I saw an interesting match between Lopez and Gasquet at one of the clay tournaments following Wimbledon. It was actually pretty close and Lopez's game was definitely not at its best. (Also unlike all the other Spanish, clay is his worst surface) I therefore think that Lopez could beat Gasquet in theory, but unfortunately he is so inconsistent he could also go out next round in straight sets. I would love to see him do well, but I fear we have seen the best of Lopez last night and it will all go a bit downhill from now on!

Exactly my point. Given the surface and their respective styles of play, Lopez the way he played yesterday clearly would be the favorite against Gasquet in my book. However, as you, myself and others have already pointed out half a dozen times, it's not very likely that Lopez will be able to keep this level up - unfortunately.

KaxMisha
08-29-2006, 02:09 PM
i wouldn't read too much in this match...lubishitz lol

Did you actually watch this match, or are you just here to bash Ljubicic? If you payed more attention to the game and less to fanboying/anti-fanboying, you would see that I'm actually talking about the way Lopez PLAYED. Not the mere fact THAT he won, but HOW he won it. See? Now I cannot see how you wouldn't read much into the fantastic gameplay he displayed, so please enlighten me - without involving who his opponent was.

supersexynadal
08-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Lopez, wawrinka and bolleli and just 3 of those guys that arent really noticed but i really believe in them. If u remember, bollelis the 18 year old who played in rome. No one can tell but we might be surprised and they couyld be future top tenners coz if u think about it, the "young guns" wont ALL make it there

Deivid23
08-29-2006, 02:32 PM
As far as the length of a catwalk

Xristos
08-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Who does Feli face next???

KaxMisha
08-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Who does Feli face next???

The draw is available on http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ms/index.html

Lopez's next match is against Marco Chiudinelli. Shouldn't be a hard one if he can keep it together.

vincayou
08-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Exactly my point. Given the surface and their respective styles of play, Lopez the way he played yesterday clearly would be the favorite against Gasquet in my book. However, as you, myself and others have already pointed out half a dozen times, it's not very likely that Lopez will be able to keep this level up - unfortunately.

Lopez is 0-3 against Gasquet. And you can only 'play well' if your opponent allows you to do so.

silverwhite
08-29-2006, 05:02 PM
But if he win I'm sure Gasquet will beat him :p

Gasquet hasn't beaten Simon yet...

Xristos
08-29-2006, 06:21 PM
And Simon will beat Gasquet! Vamos Feli in round 4!

Dancing Hero
08-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Don't know the draw, if he's to meet Gasquet in R3 as someone said, I would probably favour the Frenchman. I think Lopez is a talented player though.

KaxMisha
08-30-2006, 12:27 AM
Lopez is 0-3 against Gasquet. And you can only 'play well' if your opponent allows you to do so.

So what? Lopez has never played as well as he did yesterday. The fact that he is 0-3 against Gasquet proves what everyone knows - that a normal Lopez is inferior to a normal Gasquet. However, I think most would agree the Lopez who outclassed wasn't the normal Lopez. Also bear in mind that this surface suits Lopez better than Gasquet. As for the latter part of your post - that is true to varying degrees, depending on style of play. Lopez has a very active style with a very big serve, meaning that if it works, there's not too much an opponent can do, unless he an amazing ability to return what appears to be aces (Federer, for instance, comes to mind, but not Gasquet).

KaxMisha
08-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Don't know the draw, if he's to meet Gasquet in R3 as someone said, I would probably favour the Frenchman. I think Lopez is a talented player though.

I too would hold Gasquet as the favorite. If Lopez plays the way he did against Ljubicic, though, I don't think Gasquet will be able to do much about him. That's a big if, though.

vincayou
08-30-2006, 09:47 AM
So what? Lopez has never played as well as he did yesterday. The fact that he is 0-3 against Gasquet proves what everyone knows - that a normal Lopez is inferior to a normal Gasquet. However, I think most would agree the Lopez who outclassed wasn't the normal Lopez. Also bear in mind that this surface suits Lopez better than Gasquet. As for the latter part of your post - that is true to varying degrees, depending on style of play. Lopez has a very active style with a very big serve, meaning that if it works, there's not too much an opponent can do, unless he an amazing ability to return what appears to be aces (Federer, for instance, comes to mind, but not Gasquet).

So what? Well, it seems that Gasquet likes the way Lopez play or is not bothered too much. Lopez is in a fine form, but Richard is as well. Healthy, well rested and confident. Everything can happen but whatever the way Lopez played in first round, Gasquet remains the big favourite in my mind if they both reach 3rd round.

FSRteam
08-30-2006, 09:53 AM
chiudinelli will kick his ass!!!

Neverstopfightin
08-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Goin on foot a pair of kilometers until a gust of wind mess his hair up and has to come back to the hotel quickly , driving ? nowhere since he hasn't driving license , taking a taxi ?? , It depends on the nearest hairdresser's to the hotel.

Blue Heart24
08-30-2006, 09:58 AM
lopes will lose to Marco Chiudinelli in Round 2...and Gasquet to Simon

silverwhite
08-30-2006, 10:01 AM

And they would have gone further than Ljubo :yeah:

Blue Heart24
08-30-2006, 10:18 AM
And they would have gone further than Ljubo :yeah:

So? :retard:

silverwhite
08-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Just stating the facts :shrug:

Tommy_Babyboy
08-30-2006, 11:42 AM
At least 1/8

Kimmi
08-30-2006, 12:40 PM
he can make the third round and then looses to Gasquet! (hopefully :p )

vincayou
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
This needs to be bumped. :)

CooCooCachoo
08-31-2006, 10:07 PM
:ras: Not further than Marco :ras:

lucashg
08-31-2006, 10:17 PM
:tape:

Stevens Point
08-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Now this thread is funny. :lol: You guys have mostly discussed Lopez vs Gasquet 3rd round and the name Marco Chiudinelli appears only in two posts!! Lopez losing to Chiudi wasn't even an option to many many people here.. :lol:

atheneglaukopis
08-31-2006, 10:25 PM
How far can Lopez go? Back to Spain. :tape:

I feel sorry for all his fans today: he gets your hopes up and then he crushes them. Safin's all my masochistic side can take; I'll stick to him.

KaxMisha
08-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Now this thread is funny. :lol: You guys have mostly discussed Lopez vs Gasquet 3rd round and the name Marco Chiudinelli appears only in two posts!! Lopez losing to Chiudi wasn't even an option to many many people here.. :lol:

To be fair, that wasn't what this thread was about. This thread was about how far Lopez COULD go IF he kept his game from the Ljubicic match up. I pointed out that it was a big IF and that he probably couldn't. I don't think anyone is surprised by this result on its own. What's surprising is that it came after Lopez had crushed Ljubicic in one of the most dominant performances of this tournament so far. I don't understand how such a talented player with such a big game can be so inconsistent. Ah well, on to modeling for him, I guess.

zimzim
08-31-2006, 10:36 PM
To be fair, that wasn't what this thread was about. This thread was about how far Lopez COULD go IF he kept his game from the Ljubicic match up. I pointed out that it was a big IF and that he probably couldn't. I don't think anyone is surprised by this result on its own. What's surprising is that it came after Lopez had crushed Ljubicic in one of the most dominant performances of this tournament so far. I don't understand how such a talented player with such a big game can be so inconsistent. Ah well, on to modeling for him, I guess.Does he model for real?

KaxMisha
08-31-2006, 11:07 PM
I don't know, but he sure has got the looks for it (no, I'm not gay - spare the comments).

buddyholly
09-01-2006, 12:00 AM
To be fair, that wasn't what this thread was about. This thread was about how far Lopez COULD go IF he kept his game from the Ljubicic match up.

Really???????????????????

Isn't the title of the thread supposed to say what the thread is about?

marcelwks
09-01-2006, 12:03 AM
He will go home ;)

buddyholly
09-01-2006, 12:06 AM
However, what I want to do here is to see how far people think he can go IF he actually does.

Emphasis mine. Actual use of the word ''can'', yours.

buddyholly
09-01-2006, 12:07 AM
The nearest mirror.

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 09:31 AM
However long the distance is to the airport.

~EMiLiTA~
09-01-2006, 09:33 AM
not very, by the looks of things

Doris Loeffel
09-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Chiudinelli will take care of him :o :D

I was about going to say this but I didn't want to jinx Chiudi but it looks like he's imune against beeing jinxed ;)

Blue Heart24
09-01-2006, 03:26 PM

:worship: I SAID IT!

zimzim
09-01-2006, 03:42 PM
:worship: I SAID IT!But you said Simon would beat Gasquet :p

FSRteam
09-01-2006, 04:15 PM
chiudinelli will kick his ass!!!

I had also said it! :)

KaxMisha
09-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Really???????????????????

Isn't the title of the thread supposed to say what the thread is about?

Aren't people who participate in a thread supposed to read the first post, which explains what the thread aims to cover much better than a fragmentary thread title?

KaxMisha
09-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Emphasis mine. Actual use of the word ''can'', yours.

Fragmentary. The quote is "...can go IF he actually does," and I do point out that's a big IF. Please make sure you understand what you are reading before you reply to it in the future. It would make you look less stupid and, more importantly, save me time. Cheers!