Let's Just Say... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Let's Just Say...

LleytonMonfils
08-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Gael Monfils and Rafael Nadal make it far enough to where they face each other... I know it's not right to look ahead but IMO this looks like a premo match... Nadal would be the heavy favorite of course, but Monfils is also very good at feeding off of the crowd and something tells me the United States fans would be in his corner... all I'm saying is I'd like to see this matchup. It would be a good way for Monfils to really see where he is at with his game. He had a decent showing at the French, needs one here at the U.S. Open what do yall think? Cheers to a Monfils Nadal meeting?

Johnny Groove
08-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Gael has obviously been partying too hard in New York. Have you seen his player party photos? :tape: I dont think he has a chance against Rafa, no matter what surface it is.

scoobs
08-29-2006, 01:16 AM
Monfils camps behind the baseline and defends - that won't get it done against Nadal on any surface. The ones who have beaten him on hard have done so by moving forward and taking the ball on.

gael
08-29-2006, 01:23 AM
If you watched their match in Rome you could tell that Nadal is not used to someone who plays like Monfils. Sometimes he attacks with big groundstrokes and sometimes he defends. I bet it would be a good match and i don't think Monfils fears Nadal at all. I was dying to see this match at the French Open with the French crowd begind Monfils.

scoobs
08-29-2006, 03:04 AM
Didnt someone else post a similar thread a few months ago? Was it Rome?
I recall Nadal rolled over Monfils very easily, too.

Yappa
08-29-2006, 03:13 AM

Yes, well I deleted my posting after noticing gaels posting. Made me look rather silly. :D

gael
08-29-2006, 03:15 AM
On clay, different match, different atmosphere, diffrent situation, different time= different result. So maybe Nadal might not roll over Monfils like in Rome but i am not saying Monfils will win but i think it could be close.

scoobs
08-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Heh - well if Nadal is not used to playing someone who plays like Monfils - but then beats them fairly handily, I don't think he'll be unduly concerned :)

gael
08-29-2006, 03:17 AM
Yes, well I deleted my posting after noticing gaels posting. Made me look rather silly. :D :D

gael
08-29-2006, 03:19 AM
Heh - well if Nadal is not used to playing someone who plays like Monfils - but then beats them fairly handily, I don't think he'll be unduly concerned :)
Yeah i get your point but what i am trying to say is Monfils is the kind of player who can make Nadal play bad so if he has a good day it could be close. Monfils didn't play well in the Rome match. Its kind of how Nadal makes Federer not play well sometimes.

scoobs
08-29-2006, 03:27 AM
Yeah i get your point but what i am trying to say is Monfils is the kind of player who can make Nadal play bad so if he has a good day it could be close. Monfils didn't play well in the Rome match. Its kind of how Nadal makes Federer not play well sometimes.
Potentially - I still think Nadal is more likely to be forced into playing bad by a more aggressive forward-moving player like Berdych than a guy like Monfils, who tends to pitch tent a foot behind the baseline and retrieve. Nadal tends to gobble players like that up - he moves them around from side to side and finds the open court.

LleytonMonfils
08-29-2006, 03:48 AM
If nothing Monfils can match Nadal;s intensity... who do you guys think the crowd would be behind!

dmit424
08-29-2006, 04:24 AM
This is completely my opinion, but Monfils has been underwhelming in his quest to become a serious contender. I think he'll be top-10 someday, but it'll take him some time. Out of that Gasquet/Murray/Monfils young triple-threat, I think Murray has clearly moved out ahead with Gasquet and Monfils sagging back right now.

NYCtennisfan
08-29-2006, 04:28 AM
Unless Monfils improves his game over what he has shown so far, he would not fair well at all against Nadal on any surface. To beat Nadal, you have to be aggressive on ALL the points, which may mean misfirng quite a bit, but at least sending Nadal the message that he will not be allowed to get into a comfortable rhythm to work over his opponent with the FH. 3 straight sets for Nadal in 2 hours and 53 minutes.

cmurray
08-29-2006, 04:37 AM
I like Gael, actually, but he has just the kind of game that DOESN'T fair well against Rafa's. He gives up too easily. I'm not saying he lacks intensity - what he lacks is tenacity...and THAT is a disaster against Nadal.

Cheryl

Xristos
08-29-2006, 06:21 AM
It would be a good match up but Im afraid Im the only one that can challenge Nadal on clay...

gael
08-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Potentially - I still think Nadal is more likely to be forced into playing bad by a more aggressive forward-moving player like Berdych than a guy like Monfils, who tends to pitch tent a foot behind the baseline and retrieve. Nadal tends to gobble players like that up - he moves them around from side to side and finds the open court.

You have forgeten that Monfils can move as well as Nadal. Nadal strokes will be defended well by Monfils, look at the Rome match were Nadal struggled to get winners past Monfils. On the other hand if Monfils decides to let his strokes go, he is very capable of blasting balls past Nadal. I know Monfils very well because i have seen so many matches of his. Nadal doesn't have the best serve and Monfils is one of the best returners on ATP according to statistics. Monfils has a big serve so it will be more difficult for Nadal to break.
The only thing that will determine the winner will be how well Monfils can attack at the right time.

oz_boz
08-29-2006, 02:30 PM
I doubt that Monfils is consistent enough to challenge Nadal.

gael
08-29-2006, 05:25 PM
I doubt that Monfils is consistent enough to challenge Nadal.
Do you mean in rallies, he is very consistent in rallies and he never makes many mistake, his only problem is that he is too afraid to go for his shots.