Young is one of the most talented players i have seen!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Young is one of the most talented players i have seen!!!!

gael
08-28-2006, 06:30 PM
I just watched the match vs Djokovic and i have come to conclusion that Donald Young is about as talented as i have seen any player. When Mcenroe said Young had amazing feel he was not joking. This guy can serve well into the 130s and the fact that it is a lefty serve makes it better. He could hit his forehand about as well Djockovic and his backhand is also very good. This guy has amazing feel especially at the net, i would say he has the best volleys on ATP right now. He is way more talented than Djokovic and you could easily see it by watching the match. He he was phsically stronger which he will be in a few years he will be DESTROYING DJOKOVIC!!!!! I think this guy is going to be one of the greats in the game after seing the first set against Djokovic.

Lullaby
08-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Wow give me some of what you are smoking please ;)

vincayou
08-28-2006, 06:32 PM
At least, the timing of this post is a bit better than if it had been after the double bagel from Berlocq.

gael
08-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Wow give me some of what you are smoking please ;)
HE is very talented, did you watch the first set, did you see how this guy can volley; AMAZING!!!

Neely
08-28-2006, 06:36 PM
I would like to see him becoming a good player soon, he has some things which would make it interesting for me to watch.

Lullaby
08-28-2006, 06:38 PM
HE is very talented, did you watch the first set, did you see how this guy can volley; AMAZING!!!

I did and I am not saying he will not become a decent player - He is only 17.

However most of points he won was through nole errors - check the stats

I was actually rooting for him to win lol but I could tell that even when he won the 1st set that noles power would win easily in the end

kundalini
08-28-2006, 06:41 PM
I must admit I missed the first set, but even when he was getting destroyed on the scoreboard Young did look talented. However, mentally he just gave that match away and having won the first set you'd have expected him to be delighted, not pissed off.

At the moment he can't translate his talent into points and even when he got his first serve in play he was still only managing to win around 55% of the points. Will be interesting to see him once he has a few wins under his belt. Right now he hasn't got enough to compete with top 100 players as his results testify.

As for being better than Novak Djokovic, I'd be very surprised.

Purple Rainbow
08-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I must admit I missed the first set, but even when he was getting destroyed on the scoreboard Young did look talented. However, mentally he just gave that match away and having won the first set you'd have expected him to be delighted, not pissed off.

At the moment he can't translate his talent into points and even when he got his first serve in play he was still only managing to win around 55% of the points. Will be interesting to see him once he has a few wins under his belt. Right now he hasn't got enough to compete with top 100 players as his results testify.

I've just checked his playing activity in his profile. His results on challengers and futures aren't impressive either. One future semifinal is his best career achievement so far (he then lost 6-1 6-2 to Ivan Miranda).
The highest ranked player Young has managed to beat was Jamie Delgado, and that was 2 years ago in a hard court future event.

Djokovic at the age of 17 managed to double bagel Ginepri at Roland Garros. Granted, clay is not exactly Ginepri's specialty, but it just shows that Young is clearly not at the level that his opponent was on 2 years ago.

Lullaby
08-28-2006, 06:56 PM
I've just checked his playing activity in his profile. His results on challengers and futures aren't impressive either. One future semifinal is his best career achievement so far (he then lost 6-1 6-2 to Ivan Miranda).
The highest ranked player Young has managed to beat was Jamie Delgado, and that was 2 years ago in a hard court future event.

Djokovic at the age of 17 managed to double bagel Ginepri at Roland Garros. Granted, clay is not exactly Ginepri's specialty, but it just shows that Young is clearly not at the level that his opponent was on 2 years ago.

Yep murray had at least 4 future titles and the us open junior title at the same age with substantially less physical ability than what Donald Young has!

gael
08-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I am not talking about results, i am talking about the first set against Djokovic. I was amazed at how this kid was talented, Djokovic tried to match Youngs talent but even he coudn't match up, al he could do was blast the ball as hard as he could. How many of you even saw the first set? or even the match.

gael
08-28-2006, 09:03 PM

As for being better than Novak Djokovic, I'd be very surprised.

If you think he looked talented in the later stages of the match then you should have seen the first few games. He made the crowds go oooooh!! and aaaah!! with his shots. This guy has sick volleys, not many on the tour can volley as well as Young. Plus he was blasting serves past Djokovic.

DrJules
08-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Is this PMac demonstrating his grasp of tennis again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Purple Rainbow
08-28-2006, 09:14 PM
I am not talking about results, i am talking about the first set against Djokovic. I was amazed at how this kid was talented, Djokovic tried to match Youngs talent but even he coudn't match up, al he could do was blast the ball as hard as he could. How many of you even saw the first set? or even the match.

I haven't seen the first set and I think it is obvious that the kid can play really well. You don't win a junior slam if you can't strike a ball. However, Young has never done anything since to prove that the hype is for real.
He is yet to beat a player ranked inside the top 200.

El Legenda
08-28-2006, 09:32 PM
I just watched the match vs Djokovic and i have come to conclusion that Donald Young is about as talented as i have seen any player. When Mcenroe said Young had amazing feel he was not joking. This guy can serve well into the 130s and the fact that it is a lefty serve makes it better. He could hit his forehand about as well Djockovic and his backhand is also very good. This guy has amazing feel especially at the net, i would say he has the best volleys on ATP right now. He is way more talented than Djokovic and you could easily see it by watching the match. He he was phsically stronger which he will be in a few years he will be DESTROYING DJOKOVIC!!!!! I think this guy is going to be one of the greats in the game after seing the first set against Djokovic.

Ms.Young welcome back to MTF :)

you must have not see a lot of player than

Maxpowers
08-28-2006, 09:37 PM
There are a lot of talented players out there, most of whom are not given a single wildcard into an ATP level event. Most players in the draw had better results than Young at his age, and did not have any of the hype on them that this kid has had for the past few years. If he's so talented then why does he need to be treated differently than the other players? Won't his talent eventually translate into results on its own? I know I mentioned it before, but at 17 Chang won the French Open and this kid hasn't won a match on the atp tour.

The only reason he has any prive money or points is because he was given spots in main draws he never earned.

gael
08-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I haven't seen the first set and I think it is obvious that the kid can play really well. You don't win a junior slam if you can't strike a ball. However, Young has never done anything since to prove that the hype is for real.
He is yet to beat a player ranked inside the top 200.
You should have seen it then cause you would have been as impressed as me. Donald was blasting serves past Djokovic and really playing well. His volleys are about as good as i have seen anyone volley and John Mcenroe was not lying when he said Young was the only one who had feel like him. I garantee that this Kid will be a Great player.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-28-2006, 09:46 PM
The guy is shit, five years from now you can come back to this post and call me a genius.

gael
08-28-2006, 09:49 PM
The guy is shit, five years from now you can come back to this post and call me a genius.
You saw the first set? You woudn't be saying that if you did. I watched the whole match and there were some amazing rallies there. DY was clearly more tlented than Djokovic.

atpSUPERMAN
08-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Donald Young is coming along nicely. I'm sure he will be number one at some stage in future.

Pfloyd
08-28-2006, 09:56 PM
You are SURE Donald Young is going to be #1 sometime? What about Nadal, or Djokovic?

atpSUPERMAN
08-28-2006, 10:34 PM
You are SURE Donald Young is going to be #1 sometime? What about Nadal, or Djokovic?

I don't get that impression about Djokovic. But Nadal will definitely be number one for a quite a long time starting next year I believe. Donald Young will be number one too, but Nadal will have a long reign first.

CassL
08-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Wow, Donald Young wins one set and now he's the most talented player you've ever seen? :lol: Come on, get real.

Tennis Fool
08-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Wow, Donald Young wins one set and now he's the most talented player you've ever seen? :lol: Come on, get real.
What, you can't tell talent from watching a set (or match) of tennis? Gael, I support you in your DJ-fandom :)

tangerine_dream
08-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Nice to see Donald's mom join us here at MTF. :) Hi mom! :wavey:

Tennis Fool
08-28-2006, 11:22 PM
There are a lot of talented players out there, most of whom are not given a single wildcard into an ATP level event. Most players in the draw had better results than Young at his age, and did not have any of the hype on them that this kid has had for the past few years. If he's so talented then why does he need to be treated differently than the other players? Won't his talent eventually translate into results on its own? I know I mentioned it before, but at 17 Chang won the French Open and this kid hasn't won a match on the atp tour.

The only reason he has any prive money or points is because he was given spots in main draws he never earned.
:scratch: DJ earned his WC entry by winning Kalamazoo.

revolution
08-28-2006, 11:23 PM
He was too passive once he slipped behind. He's supposed to be something special and at times I could see why this was, but he's got to get physically stronger and also mentally stronger.

case
08-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Nice to see Donald's mom join us here at MTF. :) Hi mom! :wavey:

:haha: i saw the match and was very unimpressed with both young and
djokovic.
sloppy volleys with no power or speed behind them.
no thinking.
no talent

even if he does get his head together he will always be two short to make a major breakthrough. and unlike oliver rochus he doesn't move well.

Does young really have a two handed forehand?
weird.

Maxpowers
08-28-2006, 11:30 PM
:scratch: DJ earned his WC entry by winning Kalamazoo.

I know that, but what about the one at the NASDAQ? What about the other 7 or 8 that he was just given?

gael
08-28-2006, 11:32 PM

Why was he given wild cards then? Give me the lsit of players that were better than Young from this generation.

gael
08-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Normally you coudn't tell by watching only a set, but by the time i had watched the first 4 games i already knew that this guy is going to be great. He started off by breaking serve, smacking aces in his first serveice game and holding serve to love for a couple of games. This kid is amazing; even the crowd was going oooooh!!! and aaaaaah!!! after some of his shots.

gael
08-28-2006, 11:39 PM
:haha: i saw the match and was very unimpressed with both young and
djokovic.
sloppy volleys with no power or speed behind them.
no thinking.
no talent

even if he does get his head together he will always be two short to make a major breakthrough. and unlike oliver rochus he doesn't move well.

Does young really have a two handed forehand?
weird.

You say Young has no talent? Should i take you seriously. You think John Mcenroe is a fool. You saw the first set?

Pea
08-28-2006, 11:47 PM
New to the fascinating sport of tennis I presume?

Tennis Fool
08-28-2006, 11:49 PM

I'm not so sure players in the draw had better results at 17, and to point out Chang--winning at 17 like he or Becker or Borg is well...pointing out he and Becker and Borg.

If you want to go that route, lets look at who was ranked equally or worse than DJ at 17:

1. HMMMM....could it be...ROGER FEDERER. At DY's age Fed was ranked 878 (Sept 1998).

[chew on THAT for a moment]

2. What?!!! Could it be...(Tangy, hope you aren't in that glass house called the AR forum)...ANDY RODDICK. At 17, had seesawed from a high of 300 to over 1000 in the ranking :eek:

3. Former #1 Pat Rafter was unranked at 17 (1989)--meaning he was NOT ranked in the top 1000+.

Hate to burst your bubble :secret:

World Beater
08-28-2006, 11:50 PM
lol...the racist dy thread was deleted.

Tennis Fool
08-28-2006, 11:52 PM
I know that, but what about the one at the NASDAQ? What about the other 7 or 8 that he was just given?Who cares now? We're talking about the US Open and he EARNED his way into the event. Can we stay in the present?

Tennis Fool
08-28-2006, 11:53 PM
lol...the racist dy thread was deleted.
What thread was that :confused:

Liverpool4ever
08-29-2006, 01:12 AM
I saw most of the match and I was not expecting much of Young, but he has remarkable tennis skills up there with the likes of Federer and Gasquet. Not only that, but he has a very aesthetically pleasing game. He was hitting serves in the high 120's with great timing and hitting winners by angles rather than pace. He already volleys better than a half the players out there and has good anticipation. The problem is that he is physically terrible. Rochus at least has great speed, but Young has nothing. Then there is his mental weakness and inability to focus for more than a set.

I can see why there is a hype about him, because if he develope physically and mentally he could go right to the top of the game. However, a lot of this depends on him and how hard he is prepared to work. If he works hard and does not develope then he could be the next Olivier Rochus and be a top 30 player. If he does not work hard then he will be lucky to break the top 50. However, if he is fortunate to grow a bit and puts in the work then he has top five talent.

hanabishi
08-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Why was he given wild cards then? Give me the lsit of players that were better than Young from this generation.

While I do feel that 17-year old Donald Young is indeed a talented teenager, I think that there are other teens there who are far superior talents, like:

Juan Martin Del Potro (17)
- has reached the QF of an ATP level tournament (Umag)
- already has wins over Pavel, Chela, Verdasco (saved a match point in that one)

Evgeny Korolev (18)
- has reached the QF of 2 ATP tournaments (Marseille, Bastad)
- already has wins over Moya, Davydenko, Horna, and took Gaudio to 5 sets in the French

Marin Cilic (17)
- has already reached the SF of an ATP tournament (Gstaad)
- already has wins over Andreev, Seppi, and Pavel

Again, while I do think that DY is a talented player, I feel that he hasn't justified the hype while those other players I mentioned have the results to back them up (even though they barely have any hype). Yes he has been ranked as the #1 junior, but we've had countless instances of #1 juniors who fail to translate their junior success in the ATP Tour.

Winning a set against Djokovic is a start, but in order to justify the hype, he better start winning matches in the ATP tour real soon.

Tennis Fool
08-29-2006, 01:41 AM
While I do feel that 17-year old Donald Young is indeed a talented teenager, I think that there are other teens there who are far superior talents, like:

- already has wins over Pavel, Chela, Verdasco (saved a match point in that one)

Evgeny Korolev (18)
- already has wins over Moya, Davydenko, Horna, and took Gaudio to 5 sets in the French

Marin Cilic (17)

Again, while I do think that DY is a talented player, I feel that he hasn't justified the hype while those other players I mentioned have the results to back them up (even though they barely have any hype). Yes he has been ranked as the #1 junior, but we've had countless instances of #1 juniors who fail to translate their junior success in the ATP Tour.

Winning a set against Djokovic is a start, but in order to justify the hype, he better start winning matches in the ATP tour real soon.

DOH! Did you read the thread (specifically my post on this subject)! :(

hanabishi
08-29-2006, 01:48 AM
DOH! Did you read the thread (specifically my post on this subject)! :(

Yes I did read your post. My point was that DY has not backed up the HYPE he has been receiving. No one knew who Roger Federer was when he was 17, and Andy Roddick didn't even get a wildcard to the US Open when he was 17.

Players develop and peak at different ages, and I'm saying that though DY is talented, there are other 17-year olds out there RIGHT NOW who have the results to back them up. For all we know, Donald Young could be World #1 five years from now... but in order to justify the hype he's receiving RIGHT NOW, he should start winning matches on the ATP Tour.

gael
08-29-2006, 02:09 AM

Evgeny Korolev (18)

Marin Cilic (17)

I mean when they were the same age as Young is NOW; 17 years and 1 month.

gael
08-29-2006, 02:10 AM
I saw most of the match and I was not expecting much of Young, but he has remarkable tennis skills up there with the likes of Federer and Gasquet. Not only that, but he has a very aesthetically pleasing game. He was hitting serves in the high 120's with great timing and hitting winners by angles rather than pace. He already volleys better than a half the players out there and has good anticipation. The problem is that he is physically terrible. Rochus at least has great speed, but Young has nothing. Then there is his mental weakness and inability to focus for more than a set.

I can see why there is a hype about him, because if he develope physically and mentally he could go right to the top of the game. However, a lot of this depends on him and how hard he is prepared to work. If he works hard and does not develope then he could be the next Olivier Rochus and be a top 30 player. If he does not work hard then he will be lucky to break the top 50. However, if he is fortunate to grow a bit and puts in the work then he has top five talent.

Thanks alot, someone who is more realistic and not just another hater ;)

Tommy_Vercetti
08-29-2006, 02:13 AM
Well it's not like he has to win anything to make some money or get his name out there.

James Blake has been on tour for what like 8 years now and won 6 singles titles and they give him coverage like he's Sampras.

He has to win one TMS event to get in the Hall of Fame I guess.

scoobs
08-29-2006, 02:17 AM
Didn't Donald Young win Kalamazoo because he's opponent had to withdraw in the final due to food poisoning?

Suspicious...

:)

scoobs
08-29-2006, 02:21 AM
I watch the match with Young and Djoko too.

Young definitely has a nice game on him - great technique on his shots, good variety and a handy serve. He doesn't have a big weapon yet but that could come as his physical strength develops. Mentally he crumbled alarmingly quickly when Nole leveled at a set all.

To put it bluntly, Young has the tennis game to do well but physically and mentally in terms of strength and stamina he's an awful long way off where he needs to be.

He has a good few years yet though to get these things in order.

It's way too soon to write off Donald Young yet - we won't see the best of him for 4 years or more.

It's a shame however that he's been overhyped so early - naturally overinflated expectations have been spectacularly dashed.

scoobs
08-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Malisse 2 sets up on Nieminen now.

Nasty draw for Jarkko - he drew one of the shorter straws.