I can't understand two things. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

I can't understand two things.

sssss
08-28-2006, 09:41 AM
I can't understand these two common views among people.

1. Federer is boring.

2. Nadal has the most charisma.

I just can't understand. In what way is Federer boring? I doubt whether most people have ever watched Federer's masterclass, his best tennis? I bet no sensible person can ever get bored by his artistry and beauty which he imparts to the game. He just makes tennis look beautiful. He transforms tennis into an art. I can never get bored watching him in action even if he wins for ever. I just can't get how and why people find his game boring. May be I have a different sight altogether!

Secondly, I can't get how they label Nadal as the most charismatic. For me, it's Federer who is more charming of the two, more friendly of the two, more funny of the two and has a smiling face and a good sense of humor. Rafa has a somewhat serious personality with killer looks and no smile on his face if what I see on TV is correct. He is the one who is more boring to watch and atleast I feel like that. Do I have a different brain and thought process?

Also there are many other players far more charismatic than Nadal, even though they are not ranked that high. Marcos Baghdatis for example and even Roddick, Agassi, Blake, Safin etc. Rafa looks more barbaric than charismatic or is it that I alone feel like that?

These things remain puzzles for me. Sorry for any offence. I did not intend to hurt anybody. Just I wrote that what is in my mind here and nothing else.

Though I agree that Rafa is a great player and I respect him a lot. And sorry for my poor English.

Castafiore
08-28-2006, 09:56 AM
This has been discussed to death already.

oz_boz
08-28-2006, 09:58 AM
This has been discussed to death already.

Actually to death*314159265358979323846

Naranoc
08-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Perhaps Agassi's POV will make things clearer:

Agassi is old enough to have faced both McEnroe and Nadal, and he's attracted more to Nadal's spray-paint style than Federer's tennis classicism. "Roger just makes it look too easy," says Agassi, who lost to Federer in last year's U.S. Open final and fell to Nadal in the third round of this year's Wimbledon. "He has so many options out there on the tennis court. It's easier to identify with Nadal. Federer puts fans in the position where all they can do is marvel."

But I agree, I'm sick to death of this too. ;) The whole ''Would Nadal be popular if he was American'' thread got turned into this.

ezekiel
08-28-2006, 11:23 AM
On court Federer isn't bad, he is never or rarely negative but off court he is very boring.
Just look at the things he is wearing now, always the businessman style that makes him look really old. He is starting to sound boring also by giving cliche answers and sounds way too content with him self. He has a reason now but things change

Monteque
08-28-2006, 01:06 PM
And this actually i should be couldn't undertstand :haha:

t0x
08-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Eeeep! You gotta let the tennis do the talking, and no offence to Nadal - but I find his style of play reaaally boring.

cmurray
08-28-2006, 01:43 PM
yawn. You seriously don't understand why people say Roger is boring? His personality is bland, his style is prissy, and when he gets beat (honestly beat, not like that travesty in Cincy) he gets pissy about the person who beat him. I enjoy watching him play tennis because his technique is superior, but beyond the mechanics, I frankly couldn't be less interested. Roger is a spoiled princess in tennis whites. The Wimby jacket had me grinding my teeth everytime I saw it.

Cheryl

neenah
08-28-2006, 05:20 PM
It's mainly the media exaggerating personality traits. Federer and Nadal's personalities might be similar to what they seem but we have no way of knowing what they're really like without knowing them personally. I wouldn't judge :D

dkw
08-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Jesus Father have mercy!!!!

Sjengster
08-28-2006, 06:52 PM
yawn. You seriously don't understand why people say Roger is boring? His personality is bland, his style is prissy, and when he gets beat (honestly beat, not like that travesty in Cincy) he gets pissy about the person who beat him. I enjoy watching him play tennis because his technique is superior, but beyond the mechanics, I frankly couldn't be less interested. Roger is a spoiled princess in tennis whites. The Wimby jacket had me grinding my teeth everytime I saw it.

Cheryl

:lol:

Bow down before the might of The Jacket™, people!

sanpo
08-28-2006, 07:28 PM

Cheryl

Have you even tried reading post match interviews during his losses? Nadal's the only one who has beat him and has created some kind of tension between them but we all know those are only fodder for the media that they are trying to instigate.

michelleg
08-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey, even the yahoos that rep him over at IMG think he's boring (or at least referred to him as such PRIOR to signing him.)

Sometimes people should really be careful about their dinner conversations when sitting in Parisian restaurants.:devil:

Corey Feldman
08-28-2006, 08:12 PM
two things i dont understand:

1.crying when you peel onions.
2.women.

nah, the boring thing with Federer has become boring by now.... everyone said the same about Sampras.
i call it jealousy myself, the Hata's would give anything for their fave player 'to be that boring'

DDrago2
08-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Federer was never liked by medias, neither by big part of the audiences

Nadal is much more symphatic to most people

But Federer is the best player. And there is nothing he can do about being symphatic if he isn't, why would he care

cmurray
08-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Have you even tried reading post match interviews during his losses? Nadal's the only one who has beat him and has created some kind of tension between them but we all know those are only fodder for the media that they are trying to instigate.

Yep. I listen/read ALL of the post-match interviews. And pardon me, but I seem to recall a certain princess whining, "WAH! He was COACHED! Didn't you see it? That way Toni said 'Vamos' clearly meant 'run faster, Rafa!' That's the only reason he won, you know. I'm a BETTER player than him. I AM!"

Okay....so maybe I'm paraphrasing a bit, but I got the gist just like everyone else did. Even commentators who usually give him a tongue bath thought he was being whiny. You can love it or hate it, but in this case, the media didn't have to whip anyone into a frenzy. Roger did that all on his own. I won't even mention the one-dimensional, Rafa is no threat at ALL on grass statement.

Cheryl

Regenbogen
08-28-2006, 10:25 PM
I think Federer can be very interesting at times :shrug: Stuff he says annoys me sometimes, but he doesn't bore me

World Beater
08-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Yep. I listen/read ALL of the post-match interviews. And pardon me, but I seem to recall a certain princess whining, "WAH! He was COACHED! Didn't you see it? That way Toni said 'Vamos' clearly meant 'run faster, Rafa!' That's the only reason he won, you know. I'm a BETTER player than him. I AM!"

Okay....so maybe I'm paraphrasing a bit, but I got the gist just like everyone else did. Even commentators who usually give him a tongue bath thought he was being whiny. You can love it or hate it, but in this case, the media didn't have to whip anyone into a frenzy. Roger did that all on his own. I won't even mention the one-dimensional, Rafa is no threat at ALL on grass statement.

Cheryl

whiny or not...if its against the rules, then he has every right to protest.

you think what fed says is arrogant...look at this gem from rafael.

"It's stupid to have a coach for nothing," Rafa says. "That rule is going to change, I promise you."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1376230-3,00.html

what rafa wants, rafa will get...how long has he been on tour? :rolleyes: