Steffi Graf just did better than Roddick on the forehand skills test. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Steffi Graf just did better than Roddick on the forehand skills test.

LoveFifteen
08-27-2006, 05:46 PM
:help:

Sjengster
08-27-2006, 05:48 PM
A little more clarification, please?

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Um, wow, who the hell cares :lol:

Sjengster, on Ashe Kids Day for charity, the players (Andre, Steffi, Andy, and Serena) hit 30 seconds of forehands, then 30 seconds of backhands, and they get money for their charities depending on how many they hit.

For the record, Andy got more backhands on the target than forehands, so that's how true a test of skill this little fun charity event was :retard:

Sjengster
08-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Besides, if you're going to have a female player prove superior to you in the forehand department, it might as well be the Fraulein herself, right?

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah, Andy didn't really seem too concerned :p

LoveFifteen
08-27-2006, 05:56 PM
She's been gone 7 years, had two kids, and never plays tennis any more. And she still can aim her forehand to more targets. :lol:

cedez
08-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Why do you sound so surprised???

Sjengster
08-27-2006, 05:58 PM
She keeps her eye in at home, I believe - and didn't she play an exhibition against Sabatini last year? We're talking about one of the great forehands of all time here, not a surprise she's fairly accurate with it at any age.

El Legenda
08-27-2006, 05:59 PM
I am better tennis player then Roddick, but i choose not to play tennis and instead i help poor kids around the world...and that makes me better person then Roddick

:rolls: ;)

daze11
08-27-2006, 06:05 PM
serena did the worst on both forehands & backhands.... oh, except for ellen degeneres....who got just as many forehands as serena. :lol: but ...certainly, it was a non-event in every sense of the word.

scoobs
08-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Apparently Serena is looking forward to this US Open and feels she's hitting the ball very well :D

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Apparently Serena is looking forward to this US Open and feels she's hitting the ball very well :D:spit: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

they got the money for their charities, that's what's important :)

DrJules
08-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Apparently Serena is looking forward to this US Open and feels she's hitting the ball very well :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
In recent years, post Wimbledon 2003, her elephant sized ego has not been matched by her performances except for Australian Open 2005.

I think she could upset a few players, but would be very surprised if she wins the event. Probably 5th or 6th most likely behind Justine Henin, Maria Sharapova, Amelie Mauresmo and Ana Ivanovic.

R.Federer
08-27-2006, 06:28 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
In recent years, post Wimbledon 2003, her elephant sized ego has not been matched by her performances except for Australian Open 2005.

Oh I thought you were going to say that the elephant sized ego was matched by something else elephant sized. :)

Clara Bow
08-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Roddick looked very pleased with his backhands, it was cute.

It is nice whenever you can see Steffi on the court. I think she is more attractive now as a 30-something than she was when she was younger. Serena seemed very, very happy. No matter what snarkly remaks you can say about her fitness, she does have a lovely smile.

They mentioned that the two Agassi/Graf kiddies are already hitting tennis balls. It would be great if oneday there was a son/daughter of a tennis great also being a tennis great...or at least very good. You can see it other sports such as baseball. The only father/son that I can think of at this point is the Dents- and no offense to either, but I don't think Phil or Taylor will be in the HoF.

Saumon
08-27-2006, 06:48 PM
the AA kids day is televised?

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 06:51 PM
the AA kids day is televised?Yea we get a 90 minute version... with the (crappy) singers, and some of the exhibitions - James and Martina N did a mixed doubles with Shannon Elizabeth and Jason Biggs respectively, and Andy and Andre played a little tiebreak thing in addition to this "Skills challenge" - Ellen Degeneres was the chair ump, she was the best part of the show :lol:

R.Federer
08-27-2006, 06:56 PM
They mentioned that the two Agassi/Graf kiddies are already hitting tennis balls. It would be great if oneday there was a son/daughter of a tennis great also being a tennis great...or at least very good. You can see it other sports such as baseball. The only father/son that I can think of at this point is the Dents- and no offense to either, but I don't think Phil or Taylor will be in the HoF.
Age old question, and I don't think there's a known answer to it. I do know that Paul Samuelson's son is an economist, and he is not Nobel laureate worthy. Actually, he is not even very well known (and in case you're about to say it-- yes, the mother is an economist too).

It's not like there is a tennis gene, the "Gragassies" just have genes for superlative athletic attributes, but there is no telling where their interests will lie. They may simply not have an inclination towards being a professional athlete -- maybe the pressure of having to live up to such greatness would scare them away from trying it as a livelihood.

Clara Bow
08-27-2006, 07:08 PM
They may simply not have an inclination towards being a professional athlete -- maybe the pressure of having to live up to such greatness would scare them away from trying it as a livelihood.

I see your point, but would take it further. They could be interested in being an athlete, but maybe not tennis. You see that with Joakim Noah, Yannick's son who said that he never enjoyed tennis because of all of the pressure. So he was into basketball, and was the story (outside of George Mason University) at this year's NCAA championships- which his team (Florida) won and for which he was named MVP. If he can add a bit of bulk to his frame, he will be a star in the NBA, for both his play and personality.

But I do think it would be neat to have some of the tennis greatness passed on from one generation to the next. And if any kids had the ready made gene poll, if such a thing exists- then Graf and Agassi's kiddies would have to be at the top of the list. But, the pressure would be enormous.

MisterQ
08-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Which player did the best overall? ;)

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Which player did the best overall? ;)Both Andre and Steffi did quite well, no? Andre got the most of all I think but all three of them got the same for their charities:p

adee-gee
08-27-2006, 07:47 PM
It is nice whenever you can see Steffi on the court. I think she is more attractive now as a 30-something than she was when she was younger. Serena seemed very, very happy. No matter what snarkly remaks you can say about her fitness, she does have a lovely smile.
And a lovely ass :drool:

R.Federer
08-27-2006, 07:49 PM
But I do think it would be neat to have some of the tennis greatness passed on from one generation to the next. And if any kids had the ready made gene poll, if such a thing exists- then Graf and Agassi's kiddies would have to be at the top of the list. But, the pressure would be enormous.
In genetics, and now Economics, there is evidence of regression towards the mean. This is why the majority of geniuses do not beget geniuses (like the Curies).

Yannick's case (and Lendl's) are the exceptions, not the norm. What professions have the kids of the Lavers, the Roches, the McEnroes, I wonder. But I agree, th Gragassi kids could have both genetic ability and resources to pull it off

tangerine_dream
08-27-2006, 08:27 PM
For the record, Andy got more backhands on the target than forehands, so that's how true a test of skill this little fun charity event was :retard:
:haha: Man, USO can't start fast enough. The :retard: threads in GM have been on overkill lately.

Metis
08-27-2006, 08:29 PM
In genetics, and now Economics, there is evidence of regression towards the mean. This is why the majority of geniuses do not beget geniuses (like the Curies).

Yannick's case (and Lendl's) are the exceptions, not the norm. What professions have the kids of the Lavers, the Roches, the McEnroes, I wonder. But I agree, th Gragassi kids could have both genetic ability and resources to pull it off
Sorry, but one of the Curie daughters got a Nobel prize too! :)
But I agree it is an exception to the rule...

Phunkadelicious
08-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Clearly Steffi would pummel Andy 6-0 6-0 if they ever met. Andy would be lucky to win a point.

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Clearly Steffi would pummel Andy 6-0 6-0 if they ever met. Andy would be lucky to win a point.And clearly because Andre got the most targets, he's gonna win the USO.

J. Corwin
08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
The best part of the show for me (other than Ellen!;)) was when Serena screamed after she kept missing her shots. ;) You know she's a very competitive person and doesn't want to be outdone, so when she was fucking up and performing the worst out of the pro players in front of the New York crowd, oh you just know it burns her inside so bad! :lol:

R.Federer
08-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Sorry, but one of the Curie daughters got a Nobel prize too! :)
But I agree it is an exception to the rule...
Sorry? That's what I wrote... Most (I wrote the majority) geniuses do NOT beget geniuses like the Curies - they're the exception

suus21
08-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Who won the exhibition between Agassi and Roddick?

Metis
08-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Sorry? That's what I wrote... Most (I wrote the majority) geniuses do NOT beget geniuses like the Curies - they're the exception
Oh, the way you wrote it in parenthesis I thought you meant it as an example of the majority of cases... My bad... :)

IlovePixies
08-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Oh I thought you were going to say that the elephant sized ego was matched by something else elephant sized. :)

her ass

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Who won the exhibition between Agassi and Roddick?Andre, i think? It was like a timed thing just playing points. There were no line judges, lots of calls that would've been challenged had it been a real match ;) They weren't real clear on it, Ellen was a crap chair ump :D:haha:

IDJ49
08-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Andy won it 5-4.

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 09:19 PM
really? Shows how closely I paid attention :haha:

TenHound
08-27-2006, 09:19 PM
While the Steffi & AA's children may have the genes to be great players, there's an over-riding reason why they may take that path. They sacrificed much of their childhood's to develop their tennis abilities. AA's father made brutal demands, insisting he hit thousands of balls/day starting around age 4. Andre cried & cried. I would expect as parents, they'll be intent that their children have what they missed - a childhood. It's more likely that they'd get into the more lucrative aspects of the business - tv, tournaments, specialty resorts, etc. - that would keep them close to tennis, should they enjoy it, but still allow them to enjoy their childhoods.

partygirl
08-27-2006, 09:39 PM
I think anyone in tennis, could be beaten by Steffi at anything involving tennis.
remember...Andy does'nt really have to play her (thank god:lol: ) & some guys on the ATP can only dream to be as good as this force of a woman.

adee-gee
08-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Graf is a goddess, I wouldn't mind losing to her at anything... except maybe a cooking contest. :armed:
You'd beat her in a shortest nose competition :D

connectolove
08-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Well...she is one of the best tennis players ever if not the best, I am not surprised.

Merton
08-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Based on an exhibition, Ana Ivanovic should start playing on the ATP tour since i recall her winning against Djokovic.

IDJ49
08-28-2006, 12:38 AM
really? Shows how closely I paid attention :haha:
I only know because I was there. :lol:

Deboogle!.
08-28-2006, 12:58 AM
I only know because I was there. :lol:aha! Well i went back and watched the end, and they did show it at the end, I just wasn't paying attention the first time around :p

hope you had a good time :)

Scotso
08-28-2006, 02:29 AM
Serena is in a lot of trouble if that's the way she's going to be hitting the ball.

brent-o
08-28-2006, 04:47 AM
I see your point, but would take it further. They could be interested in being an athlete, but maybe not tennis. You see that with Joakim Noah, Yannick's son who said that he never enjoyed tennis because of all of the pressure. So he was into basketball, and was the story (outside of George Mason University) at this year's NCAA championships- which his team (Florida) won and for which he was named MVP. If he can add a bit of bulk to his frame, he will be a star in the NBA, for both his play and personality.

Good point about Joakim Noah. And also I'd like to throw in that doesn't Ivan Lendl's girls play professional golf as opposed to tennis? I really hope Graf and Agassi's kids decide to uphold the family legacy.

prima donna
08-28-2006, 05:44 AM
Serena is in a lot of trouble if that's the way she's going to be hitting the ball.

Frocio.

atpSUPERMAN
08-28-2006, 06:04 AM
I predict at least one of Agassi's kids will be a pro tennis player, and quite likely both. Why? Agassi said in an interview that tennis is a great teacher of life and what we face on the tennis court prepares us for challenges in life. So I suspect he will encourage his kids to play tennis as a teaching tool. This doesn't gurantee they will be pros but you have to think both their nature and nurture will give them a better chance than any kids on earth. I'd love to see Agassi teach them with the same method as his Dad taught him. The black box with balls aimed at the feet at supersonic speeds! Thats how you learn to hit a half-volley with ease.

admiralpye
08-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Steffi Graf still trains whenever she can like most retired athletes to keep in shape. The standard gym workout won't be enough for her. So I guess she's not as rusty as other people think.

Allez
08-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Steffi looks incredible :worship: . She looks to be in better physical conditioning than Serena :eek: :eek: :eek: Steffi's slice backhand is still miles ahead of Roddick's loopy no power attempted topspin backhand :tape: I sure wish I'd seen more of her. Can't wait for their kids to grow up and kick ass on the tour :D :D :D

admiralpye
08-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Agassi is indeed supporting his son's natural love for tennis (he is learning almost everyday) BUT he has promised as well in an interview that he will not go as far as his father did (waking him at 5am to practice serving with 3 drums-full of balls), and will not pressure his son to go pro unless his son truly expresses interest. In the same interview, Agassi said that of course, he hopes both his kids will be interested in becoming pros, but that is not his priority for them.

Allez
08-28-2006, 11:57 AM
If Andre and Steffi do not encourage their kids to seriously consider playing tennis at a young age, by the time the kids decide for themselves that they actually would like to play tennis professionally it will be too late.

cmurray
08-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Agassi is indeed supporting his son's natural love for tennis (he is learning almost everyday) BUT he has promised as well in an interview that he will not go as far as his father did (waking him at 5am to practice serving with 3 drums-full of balls), and will not pressure his son to go pro unless his son truly expresses interest. In the same interview, Agassi said that of course, he hopes both his kids will be interested in becoming pros, but that is not his priority for them.

Andre and Steffi's kids have a LOT going for them besides genetics. The first of which is money (obviously) but more importantly, they have Andre and Steffi and hopefully each other. There is nothing more important than somebody good to practice with while you're learning. You think Dinara would be half of what she is if she didn't have Marat to hit with?

I think if Jaden and Jaz WANT to be tennis pros they will be. But I can tell you for CERTAIN that Andre will never do to them what his father did to him. Never. Andre is still damaged by what happened to him when he was a young child. Andre felt, probably rightfully so, that tennis was more important to his father than he was. He didn't want to move to Bolliteri's. He HATED it there.

Cheryl

Neely
08-28-2006, 04:43 PM
It might have been a coincidence of her winning, but it is not such a big surprise if the goal of this little game was hitting targets ;)

daze11
08-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Graf is a goddess, I wouldn't mind losing to her at anything... except maybe a cooking contest. :armed:or a beauty contest. :haha: no amount of trophies or money was able to help that.... http://yelims4.free.fr/Pasdaccord/NonNon06.gif

Racket88
08-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Steffi :worship: