Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

Loremaster
08-27-2006, 02:12 PM
His draw looks very hard but if he manage to go through to final I think his confidence would be sky high, if he made final it would be totaly deserved looking at his draw.

3rd - L.Hewitt he has something like 6-2 against him, and Lleyton always trubles him, but with recent form I think it COULD be easy for Andy, and it could be huge confidence boost

4rd - Baghdatis/Agassi - Andre is anbother big problem for Andy 5-1 but if he made it it would be great.

than Ljubicic or Gasquet in QF and Nadal in SF

I think it could be great for Andy to advance through such difficult draw, it will give his very much confidence and maybe he will be able to upset Federer (of course only when Roger will not be 100%)

What do Think??

~*BGT*~
08-27-2006, 03:18 PM
I'd LOVE for that to happen. I'm penciling him in for the finals. Will he win it? I don't know. But with the way he's been playing, and the other guys in his quarter save Gasquet, he's got a great chance to beat them.

scoobs
08-27-2006, 03:50 PM
It's all about confidence for Andy - if his confidence overcomes his nerves about the expectations of the crowds and having to do what he did in Cincy again in New York, he should go deep.

I'm sure Jimmy Connors has been whispering the right words in Andy's ear again - and it seemed to work before Cincy.

ezekiel
08-27-2006, 03:53 PM
I see Florent Serra giving him considerable trouble, he should be wary to not have a repeat of Gilles Muller :rolleyes:

Loremaster
08-27-2006, 03:57 PM
And I think the best way to gain more confidence for him it to play and win with players with whom he struggled badly , so this draw could be great for him, what more , andy usually had very easy draws in Slams and he was destroying his opponents easily until he was playing someone better and he couldn't find himself than (AO 2004 - lost to Safin, USOpen - 2004 - lost ot Johansson, 2006 AO) now he has good players all the way to final (even Serra is not so bad , maybe his 2nd opponent will be easy)

lordmanji
08-27-2006, 04:51 PM
its not all about confidence w/ andy. before at the pacific life open and miami, he had a lot of confidence but could not and possibly did not know how to translate that to the court. right now its about doing what has worked for him in cinci: controlled aggression at net and w/ his backhand, booming his serves in, and staying on the baseline.

cath777
08-27-2006, 05:00 PM
His draw looks very hard but if he manage to go through to final I think his confidence would be sky high, if he made final it would be totaly deserved looking at his draw.

3rd - L.Hewitt he has something like 6-2 against him, and Lleyton always trubles him, but with recent form I think it COULD be easy for Andy, and it could be huge confidence boost

4rd - Baghdatis/Agassi - Andre is anbother big problem for Andy 5-1 but if he made it it would be great.

than Ljubicic or Gasquet in QF and Nadal in SF

I think it could be great for Andy to advance through such difficult draw, it will give his very much confidence and maybe he will be able to upset Federer (of course only when Roger will not be 100%)

What do Think??

Andy won't meet Hewitt until the quarters, if they both get that far.

R.Federer
08-27-2006, 05:03 PM
There are landmines all the way, but if he can get past Marcos/Andre/Andrei then I fancy his chances to get to the SF. Really intrigued about the 2006-version of nadal-roddick

scoobs
08-27-2006, 05:30 PM
its not all about confidence w/ andy. before at the pacific life open and miami, he had a lot of confidence but could not and possibly did not know how to translate that to the court. right now its about doing what has worked for him in cinci: controlled aggression at net and w/ his backhand, booming his serves in, and staying on the baseline.
He might have SAID at that time he had a lot of confidence but he certainly didn't play like he did, unlike at Cincy.

Then he was saying he was confident, and now he's playing like he is, that's the difference.

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 06:35 PM
He might have SAID at that time he had a lot of confidence but he certainly didn't play like he did, unlike at Cincy.

Then he was saying he was confident, and now he's playing like he is, that's the difference.I don't even recall him saying anything about having confidence at IW and Miami this year so i'm not sure what :bs: lordmanji is talking about :lol:

PACIFIC LIFE OPEN
INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA
March 15, 2006

Q. Are you confident right now? Are you feeling confident right now?
ANDY RODDICK: Why would I feel confident right now? If that was the case, I don't think we'd be sitting here having this funeral-like press conference. It's just weird because, you know, I don't know, I used to like hit for a half hour and then go eat Cheetos the rest of the day, come out and drill forehands. Now I'm really trying to make it happen, being professional, really going for it, and I miss my Cheetos.

Q. Is it possibly that you're overthinking?

ANDY RODDICK: Of course, there's such a thing as overthinking. You guys have writers block sometimes? No? Well, maybe if you wrote like novels or something and you had to create something, you couldn't just write on what happened.

I'm sure there is.

=================================

NASDAQ-100 OPEN
MIAMI, FLORIDA
March 30, 2006
Q. Difficult loss, but was one of your better matches.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it was. You know, like I said, this whole week I liked where my head was at as far as competing. You know, I wasn't -- even today, I got fired up but, you know, I got down, I came back, like Brick said, I played terrible in the first set and was able to kind of regroup and not lose it.
You know, that's a sign of, I think, confidence coming back, is being able to regroup a little bit. Even though I came up short, I can take a lot more out of this loss than, obviously, those of you who were with me in Indian Wells after that one. There wasn't a whole lot positive about that and I can normally try to find something.

Q. Do you feel like you are on the verge of getting back to where you were, or is it something -- do you feel you need a little time, take it slowly? Where are you?

ANDY RODDICK: I feel like I'm on the verge of playing really good tennis again. You know, I feel like I played pretty well this week. Like I said, today was probably the best I actually struck the ball, you know, as far as just making solid contact.
But the rest of the week, you know, parts of my game were really good at times, you know, throughout this whole tournament. And now, it's just a matter of trying to kind of take one from here, take one from here, and kind of put them together.
But I'm a lot -- I feel a lot better leaving this tournament than I did leaving the last tournament, or even, you know, a couple days before this tournament. So that's good. You know, you always want to feel like you're, like you said, going towards something instead as far as (sic) getting farther away from something. I definitely feel like I'm moving towards something right now.

lordmanji
08-27-2006, 07:34 PM
so which came first, his improvement in his game or his confidence? i think its the former.

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 07:37 PM
I agree, but you can't improve your game the way he improved his game in the past like MONTH this fast. To me that means he had the abilities to do these things before, but not the confidence or faith in such abilities. I give big Jimbo a lot of the credit for that.

Phunkadelicious
08-27-2006, 07:52 PM
so which came first, his improvement in his game or his confidence? i think its the former.
Are you going to completely ignore the fact that you were just proven wrong? Not even a "my mistake"?

celia
08-27-2006, 08:00 PM
all credit to Sharapova -- Andy does better when he's getting laid. plus having a gf who is herself at the top of her game must have inspired him to work even harder i say. good for him.

R.Federer
08-27-2006, 08:10 PM
These are the interviews AFTER losing early; maybe Lord Manji / Scoobs from UK are talking about what he said going into these tournaments. I'll try dig that up, maybe he did say he felt good, was confident, etc. and did not then live up to that. Can't remember, I'll look up the interviews

I don't even recall him saying anything about having confidence at IW and Miami this year so i'm not sure what :bs: lordmanji is talking about :lol:

PACIFIC LIFE OPEN
INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA
March 15, 2006

Q. Are you confident right now? Are you feeling confident right now?
ANDY RODDICK: Why would I feel confident right now? If that was the case, I don't think we'd be sitting here having this funeral-like press conference. It's just weird because, you know, I don't know, I used to like hit for a half hour and then go eat Cheetos the rest of the day, come out and drill forehands. Now I'm really trying to make it happen, being professional, really going for it, and I miss my Cheetos.

Q. Is it possibly that you're overthinking?

ANDY RODDICK: Of course, there's such a thing as overthinking. You guys have writers block sometimes? No? Well, maybe if you wrote like novels or something and you had to create something, you couldn't just write on what happened.

I'm sure there is.

=================================

NASDAQ-100 OPEN
MIAMI, FLORIDA
March 30, 2006
Q. Difficult loss, but was one of your better matches.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it was. You know, like I said, this whole week I liked where my head was at as far as competing. You know, I wasn't -- even today, I got fired up but, you know, I got down, I came back, like Brick said, I played terrible in the first set and was able to kind of regroup and not lose it.
You know, that's a sign of, I think, confidence coming back, is being able to regroup a little bit. Even though I came up short, I can take a lot more out of this loss than, obviously, those of you who were with me in Indian Wells after that one. There wasn't a whole lot positive about that and I can normally try to find something.

Q. Do you feel like you are on the verge of getting back to where you were, or is it something -- do you feel you need a little time, take it slowly? Where are you?

ANDY RODDICK: I feel like I'm on the verge of playing really good tennis again. You know, I feel like I played pretty well this week. Like I said, today was probably the best I actually struck the ball, you know, as far as just making solid contact.
But the rest of the week, you know, parts of my game were really good at times, you know, throughout this whole tournament. And now, it's just a matter of trying to kind of take one from here, take one from here, and kind of put them together.
But I'm a lot -- I feel a lot better leaving this tournament than I did leaving the last tournament, or even, you know, a couple days before this tournament. So that's good. You know, you always want to feel like you're, like you said, going towards something instead as far as (sic) getting farther away from something. I definitely feel like I'm moving towards something right now.

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 08:23 PM
He didn't, I looked them up too.

R.Federer
08-27-2006, 08:26 PM
He didn't, I looked them up too.
Oh well, I didn't find them on the TMS pages; are they on atptennis?

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 08:29 PM
I mean, after a match he wins, he says that match felt good. But nowhere does he say he's feeling great about his tennis in general or that his confidence is high or anything even suggestively to that effect. I'm pretty sure he didn't give pre-tourney press conferences for either one.

http://asapsports.com/tennis/000PR/RoddickAndy.html

Q. How uplifting of a victory is this for you to get back on track?

ANDY RODDICK: It's good. I feel like I played well two matches in a row here against pretty good players. I haven't done that probably since last fall, you know, in Lyon and Paris. I played pretty well.

You know, it's good. But it's still a long way from where I want to be right now.

Loremaster
08-27-2006, 08:45 PM
all credit to Sharapova -- Andy does better when he's getting laid. plus having a gf who is herself at the top of her game must have inspired him to work even harder i say. good for him.

But he said thaht he is with Sharapova?? :eek:

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
But he said thaht he is with Sharapova?? :eek:He's not. But people are always going to speculate until he gets caught somewhere with his actual girlfriend :lol:

R.Federer
08-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Even "respectable" news outlets like the BBC are in on the Roddipovas:

"Maria Sharapova arrives to join Roddick, coincidentally, and the rest at the W Hotel" is the caption on their picture

R.Federer
08-27-2006, 08:57 PM
He's not. But people are always going to speculate until he gets caught somewhere with his actual girlfriend :lol:
Do you mean that he's actually denied it or said that he's not, or is that your speculation that he's not?

Phunkadelicious
08-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Do you mean that he's actually denied it or said that he's not, or is that your speculation that he's not?
:sobbing:

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Do you mean that he's actually denied it or said that he's not, or is that your speculation that he's not?Andy has a girlfriend and her name isn't Maria. I think that makes it pretty clear lol. I think Andy's quite happy having people speculate about him and Maria because it keeps the attention off his actual private life. That part is just my speculation, the part about him having a girlfriend who is not Maria is not my speculation lol.

Phunkadelicious
08-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Deb, just admit it and tell them about your relationship with Andy. Put an end to this insane gossip! We all know it's you!

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Deb, just admit it and tell them about your relationship with Andy. Put an end to this insane gossip! We all know it's you!:haha: :spit: :rolls: :haha: :sobbing: :spit: :lol:

R.Federer
08-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Andy has a girlfriend and her name isn't Maria. I think that makes it pretty clear lol. I think Andy's quite happy having people speculate about him and Maria because it keeps the attention off his actual private life. That part is just my speculation, the part about him having a girlfriend who is not Maria is not my speculation lol.
Who is this girlfriend?!!! Is it a secret lol? Why does he hide her... is he ashamed of her lol..

Phunkadelicious
08-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Who is this girlfriend?!!! Is it a secret lol? Why does he hide her... is he ashamed of her lol..
Who is your girlfriend!?!?!?! Or perhaps boyfriend, if that is the case!?!?!? ARE YOU ASHAMED OF THIS PERSON!?!?!?! TELL US!!!! TELL US NOWWWW!!!! WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW EVERY BLOODY FUCKING THING ABOUT YOU!!!!!

tangerine_dream
08-27-2006, 09:16 PM
I agree, but you can't improve your game the way he improved his game in the past like MONTH this fast. To me that means he had the abilities to do these things before, but not the confidence or faith in such abilities. I give big Jimbo a lot of the credit for that.
I love that you completely blew lordmanji's b.s. out of the water and he had no choice but to ignore you. :lol:

As I said in my blog, you can't play well without confidence. :) Now that Andy is believing in himself again, all of the hard work that he's been doing on his game for several months is finally becoming apparent.

R.Federer
Who is your girlfriend!?!?!?! Or perhaps boyfriend, if that is the case!?!?!? ARE YOU ASHAMED OF THIS PERSON!?!?!?! TELL US!!!! TELL US NOWWWW!!!! WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW EVERY BLOODY FUCKING THING ABOUT YOU!!!!!
His name is John Doe! I'm not a celebrity! No one with a life should be interested in my boring life!

Deboogle!.
Who is this girlfriend?!!! Is it a secret lol? Why does he hide her... is he ashamed of her lol..I don't really know, but people have seen them at tournaments together. As far as I'm aware, she's just a random girl he met in Texas. Who cares? He hated the whole Hollywood thing with Mandy, which is why i'm sure he'd never date Maria even if he wasn't already dating someone else, but he is, and he obviously intends to keep it quiet and I intend to respect that :shrug: Lots of TV commentators and journalists have spoken/written about it, but interestingly, no one who actually knows Andy (like Charlie Bricker or PMac). :shrug:

R.Federer
08-27-2006, 09:25 PM
I don't really know, but people have seen them at tournaments together. As far as I'm aware, she's just a random girl he met in Texas. Who cares? He hated the whole Hollywood thing with Mandy, which is why i'm sure he'd never date Maria even if he wasn't already dating someone else, but he is, and he obviously intends to keep it quiet and I intend to respect that :shrug: Lots of TV commentators and journalists have spoken/written about it, but interestingly, no one who actually knows Andy (like Charlie Bricker or PMac). :shrug:
Thanks Deb. I was kinda hoping it was Maria, I like the idea of a tennis power couple kinda like the Graf-agassis. Lord knows that child would serve and shriek at the same time! And land every endorsement on the planet. The Powershot with the mojo!!

Phunkadelicious
08-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Besides, I don't think Andy could put up with Yuri standing bedside, shouting words of encouragement and pumping his fist whenever Maria hit the right spot.

Phunkadelicious
08-27-2006, 09:30 PM
There is a very simple way to find out once and for all whether or not Andy and Maria are dating. Just test Andy's hearing. If they really are dating surely he'd go deaf, what with all that shrieking in his ear during their evening workouts.