Are you in favour of more Round-Robin events? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Are you in favour of more Round-Robin events?

L James
08-27-2006, 03:49 AM
Following on from an article that someone else posted, it would be interesting to see the poll results on what fans think about round robin events. It's all about the fans, after all.

I myself think round robin blows, and never want to see it. I guess Masters Cup is a bit different with the fact it's only a 8 man field. But as for normal tournaments, I never want to see it. Round Robin sucks a fat one. What do you think?

cmurray
08-27-2006, 04:00 AM
I think it blows. Round Robin is just a way for TPTB to pimp the fed-man and Rafa.

They are taking the sport out of tennis.

Sjengster
08-27-2006, 04:01 AM
Not the last Daffy Duck proposal to emanate from former Disney chief Villiers, you can bet on that.

L James
08-27-2006, 04:04 AM
Round Robin will also create more 'meaningless' matches. i.e. Federer has already qualified for the next stage by the time he plays his last RR match, meaning it doesn't matter whether he wins or loses, he will progress. Not something I like to see. The cut throat nature of tennis tournaments is one of the things that makes the tour great.

You can also have the situation where Player A has no chance of progressing to the next stage by the time he play his last RR match. You probably won't see his full effort as he goes through the motions before catching the early flight home.

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 04:05 AM
no.

Regenbogen
08-27-2006, 04:08 AM
No. I'm okay with a couple but more than that would be really annoying.

Foosimoo
08-27-2006, 04:14 AM
No way.

Merton
08-27-2006, 04:32 AM
No.

TenHound
08-27-2006, 04:48 AM
NO. And wouldn't it drive ticket prices through the roof, since losing players would have to stick around for several more days?

Would this allow them to post matches in advance, so we could buy tickets for matches we wanted to see? Otherwise I can't see an upside at all. More crappy matches @even more inflated prices.

And which tournaments would be screwed up by this? I hope just the dinky local ones, not the Masters' which are the only good tournaments left, now that the Majors are so radically over-seeded & designed rather than actually randomly drawn to boot.

World Beater
08-27-2006, 05:00 AM
tennis is becoming like the nba, baseball, nhl where so many games are just tanked, players rested etc.

thats why i loved tennis because in every match, each player puts 100%.

RR will start to become an exhibition instead of a real tournament.

Deboogle!.
08-27-2006, 05:16 AM
:spit: Most one-sided poll results ever. :haha:You'd think Marat was the "no" choice :haha:

nobama
08-27-2006, 05:20 AM
NO. And wouldn't it drive ticket prices through the roof, since losing players would have to stick around for several more days?

Would this allow them to post matches in advance, so we could buy tickets for matches we wanted to see? Otherwise I can't see an upside at all. More crappy matches @even more inflated prices.

And which tournaments would be screwed up by this? I hope just the dinky local ones, not the Masters' which are the only good tournaments left, now that the Majors are so radically over-seeded & designed rather than actually randomly drawn to boot.Étienne de Villiers has already talked about the Masters events as we know them going away in the future. It sure sounds like they want more IW/Miami type tournaments. The WTA just bout the tournament in San Diego and the rumblings I've heard is that tournament is history and there may be a combined ATP/WTA event in Cincy. I wonder if the WTA is thinking about this too? Of course they came up with that wonderful idea of on-court coaching, since I guess players can't think for themselves out there. :rolleyes:

disturb3d
08-27-2006, 05:46 AM
How can you NOT like round-robin play.

-The best players will almost always go through.
-There will be a big name in each group, so every journeyman is guaranteed tv-coverage.
-Acts as a warm up for the business-end of the tournament.

nobama
08-27-2006, 06:00 AM
How can you NOT like round-robin play.

-The best players will almost always go through.
-There will be a big name in each group, so every journeyman is guaranteed tv-coverage.
-Acts as a warm up for the business-end of the tournament.So that's what lower ranked players are? Just warm up acts? :retard:

disturb3d
08-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Well, here in the U.S., plenty of the Top 10, Top 20 players such as Nalbandian, Robredo, Davydenko, etc. aren't shown on TV to begin with. One has to wait till the quarterfinal/semifinal stages are reached if one wants to see them on TV. So unless the journeyman was American, I doubt that the round-robin format would increase his chances of being shown on U.S. TV even if he was playing a top player.

Nor would I watch tennis on a regular basis if a top player or "star" player was featured on TV in every match. Top players are few in number, and the big celebrities/crowd-getters are even fewer, and if they were all I saw on TV, that would be quite uninteresting.Whether RRs are used or not, won't change the fact that only the big names are broadcast. So you can stop watching tennis as it is.

In the RR system, Fed will have 2 journeyman in his group, which are guaranteed to get coverage. Whereas in knock-out competition, he would face a higher ranked opponent as early as the next round.

Should 2 players proceed from each RR, then Fed will logically play the lesser-ranked player who succeeded in an opposing group.
Now take into account that every seed will have his share of 3-journeyman, and you've got a whole lot of nomadic tennis (which, although crap, pleases a lot of fuck ups).

JW10S
08-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Whether RRs are used or not, won't change the fact that only the big names are broadcast. So you can stop watching tennis as it is.

In the RR system, Fed will have 2 journeyman in his group, which are guaranteed to get coverage. Whereas in knock-out competition, he would face a higher ranked opponent as early as the next round.

Should 2 players proceed from each RR, then Fed will logically play the lesser-ranked player who succeeded in an opposing group.
Now take into account that every seed will have his share of 3-journeyman, and you've got a whole lot of nomadic tennis (which, although crap, pleases a lot of fuck ups).

That's how it is now. The top players are seeded and separated from each other in the draw. They play lower ranked players until they come to another seed. The RR's will have have full tournament fields, 32-48 players. So the pools likely will have more than just one seed in them. In the RR format Federer will have to play the other seeded player where in a regular event the other seed may lose before they were to meet. One thing about a RR format is that players have to play each other, no matter what.

dkw
08-27-2006, 07:12 AM
the jackasses who keep trying to turn tennis into the NFL or the NBA need to stop.
Round Robin-no
On court coaching-no
Hawkeye challenge system-Hell No! The technology should be hooked up to the umpire's chair and ALL disputed calls should be quickly checked by the umpire without all the drama of play stoppage to show it to the audience on the big screen.

cherry@cupcake
08-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Hate the idea.

Kristen
08-27-2006, 09:27 AM
No. Kooyong alone is more than enough for me.

Scotso
08-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Nope.

Someone forward this to the ATP.

scoobs
08-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm going to say yes, as an experiment, to see how it works and whether it's beneficial or not.

I have my doubts that it will be, but what's wrong with giving it a try? If it's lousy, and it probably will be, it can be undone.

scoobs
08-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Incidently - I think the WTA on-court coaching idea will be killed stone dead - and we'll have Martina Hingis's mother's hat to thank for it.

The site of this old woman shuffling on court in a silly floppy hat to lecture her daughter, who hardly looked as though she was paying attention, had me in creases :)

t0x
08-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Worst idea ever really. Tanked matches are no fun, especially when you have to pay more for the tickets since they know whos playing in advance...

uNIVERSE mAN
08-27-2006, 04:26 PM
F round robin events! and F the bastards who thought of it!

Billabong
08-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Absolutely not:o

JadexD
08-27-2006, 05:00 PM
A BIG, FAT NO!!!!! :mad:

*Ljubica*
08-27-2006, 05:06 PM
No - I am not in favour.

basil333
08-27-2006, 05:10 PM
I dont know the true facts.... not had a chance to read the article properly... but.... I think the RRs "could" be a novel idea. It will certainly put more relatively unknown (to the non-tennis fan not us experts on MTF) players in the spotlight more - and certainly guarantee the true tennis fan to see their guy play more than once - and hey you never know... the lesser-ranked players may get more publicity and attention and even improve their game having to play more guaranteed matches each time - and the "elite" players may have to work harder to keep their eliteism.

You never know it may just work....

or fall flat.....

Gasquet&Feli_Fan
08-27-2006, 05:18 PM
yes i think a couple more would be a good idea.

Clara Bow
08-27-2006, 05:27 PM
I really do enjoy the fact that they have it for TMC but am unsure about RR for other tournaments.

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Idiotic. They are trying to destroy tennis. First they slow down the game ridiculously and now this... :mad:

ufokart
08-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Of course not :o :ras:

michelleg
08-28-2006, 01:31 AM
Round robin format? OK it works for excessively small player fields, but to attempt to initiate it into larger draws seems a bit inane.

Seems to me that the ATP needs to look deep within its own organization rather than re-inventing and packaging the sport itself. You think the PGA (golf) would ever consider a shotgun start or best ball format outside of the silly season (exho)? Never. They have the proper perspective of their sport and can market it within that framework. Marketing tennis IS NOT akin to peddling theme park tickets, t-shirts and tacky trinkets based on cartoon characters.

Perhaps the ATP would do much better to focus on reworking the schedule into a more coherent and logical one....but why do that, its far more interesting to eff up tournament formatting!

Via
08-28-2006, 02:08 AM
there's nothing like knock-outs that bring out the best competition. if small tournament organisers like to show case big names, in order to justify their appearance fees, they might as well turn their event into an exhibition, not a tournament that gives out ranking points. they can't have it both ways.

Plastic Bertrand
08-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Not at all, maybe someone knows the contact address for the ATP tour and we can send emails and crash the system.

Seriously, what is the point of introducing RR to regular tour events? The question is whose interests are they wanting to serve? It's a rhetorical question, btw.

basil333
08-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Not at all, maybe someone knows the contact address for the ATP tour and we can send emails and crash the system.

Seriously, what is the point of introducing RR to regular tour events? The question is whose interests are they wanting to serve? It's a rhetorical question, btw.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/aboutatp/contact.asp

Go for it :)

feedback form - see link!
-----------------------------
FIRST NAME:
LAST NAME:
E-MAIL ADDRESS:
Select the category that best fits your feedback:
CATEGORY
GENERAL COMMENTS ON OUR WEB SITE REPORT A TECHNICAL PROBLEM
RECOMMEND ENHANCEMENTS/FEATURES
ADVERTISING
WEB PARTNERSHIP PROPOSAL
OTHER

---------------------------------------------------------

Addresses and telephone numbers

201 ATP Boulevard
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
32082 USA
Tel.: +1-904-285-8000
Fax: +1-904-285-5966
Monte-Carlo Sun
74 Boulevard d'Italie
98000 Monaco
Tel.: +377-97-97-04-04
Fax: +377-97-97-04-00

PO Box N662
Sydney
NSW 1220
Australia
Tel.: +61-2-92502300
Fax: +61-2-92502333
Laurent Delanney
Monte Carlo Sun
74 Boulevard D'Italie
98000 Monaco
Tel.: +377-97-97-04-04
Fax: +377-97-97-04-00

IG House
Palliser Road
London, W14 9EB
United Kingdom
Tel.: +44-20-7381-7890
Fax: +44-20-7381-7895

GugaRocksMySocks
08-28-2006, 10:11 AM
let me think about it, i'm thinking about it...hmm....NO!!!
That was a difficult decision :rolleyes:

LilyRoseAva
08-28-2006, 10:39 AM
i don't like this idea :(

Alvarillo
08-28-2006, 11:43 AM
everyone is crying with this idea but whats better?
- your fav loses in 1st round and you can't see him until 1 or 2 weeks later
- your fav loses a match and you can comback next day and enjoy more with his tennis ....

it's a good idea, we will see what happens but i like it!

Corey Feldman
08-28-2006, 11:49 AM
No..
its the biggest pile of shit since that scene in Jurassic Park.

oz_boz
08-28-2006, 11:53 AM
NO!

Corey Feldman
08-28-2006, 11:56 AM
- your fav loses a match and you can comback next day and enjoy more with his tennis ....

it's a good idea, we will see what happens but i like it!that is just such a bullshit attitude...
even if it is your fave player, its pathetic to like that, if it satisfies you that your fav wins this way, it is sad.
why dont we all just change sport so that when our fave loses... we put him back in.... over and over and over again until he wins every tournamant every week and we are all happy.

everytime your fave football team loses the championship by 7 points, lets just add 3 games on until they pass the winning points margin.
and if they havnt, well lets add another game... screw everyone else, as long as YOUR fave wins.

supersexynadal
08-28-2006, 12:06 PM
This sounds stupid but i really dont know what a tournament with a draw of 64 or 128 would look like. I know how round robin goes but since we only see it once a year at the masters cup id imagine it would take a pretty long time to get through the draw?? Im actually in favor of round robin for all tournament coz then no body would have an easier draw but at thge same time, we dont wanna see the same match 2 or 3 tiomes

Castafiore
08-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Personally, I don't like the idea of RR either.

For me, the soccer World Cup or Euro Cup only gets really interesting after the RR when every match is a matter of do or die.
In the RR, you see a lot of teams playing a bit more calculating than they would do in those do or die matches.

In tennis, even if one of my favorites gets out in an early round... :shrug: ...sure, it sucks as a fan but it's part of the sport.
This decision is taken more because tournament directors would like to see the fan favorites longer in the tournament to spice up the tournament's bank account but it takes away quite a bit from the excitement.

Ah well, maybe I'll change my mind once I get used to the idea.

One of the other proposals is to get rid of the 5 set matches outside the slams. I love those 5 setters. If I think of my favorite matches, many of them are 5 setters. So, I would love to see at least a couple of tournaments outside the slams with a 5 sets format in the final. :sad:

Action Jackson
08-28-2006, 12:57 PM

it's a good idea, we will see what happens but i like it!

So changing the basic nature of the sport for the pursuit of the $$$$$$$$ is beneficial?

Corey Feldman
08-28-2006, 01:16 PM
For me, the soccer World Cup or Euro Cup only gets really interesting after the RR when every match is a matter of do or die. agreed.....
i found the RR stage at the world cup this year an absolute snore fest.
even Holland v Argentina was pants.

although the champions league group stages are always magnificant.

but back to tennis, it'll never work or be memorable.
'de vile' should step down, this kinda stuff shows he is not about tennis he is about money.

Action Jackson
08-28-2006, 01:36 PM
agreed.....
i found the RR stage at the world cup this year an absolute snore fest.
even Holland v Argentina was pants.

although the champions league group stages are always magnificant.

but back to tennis, it'll never work or be memorable.
'de vile' should step down, this kinda stuff shows he is not about tennis he is about money.

With football cause it's a team game is dfferent and RR for the Champs League, I don't like it, but at least know it's only 1 phase and not 2, when they realised people weren't turning up and were tuning out as well.

Athletics, say the big star for example Asafa Powell fails to make the final, cause he couldn't get past his rounds, they should reserve a lane especially for him.

Argenbrit
08-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Definately no. Only the TMC should have a RR.

L James
08-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Looks like the people have spoken. A strong NO from tennis fans. De Villiers sucks a fat one.

Fedex
08-30-2006, 02:18 AM
Absolutely not.

TheBoiledEgg
08-30-2006, 10:47 AM
imagine having Round Robin in Boxing :retard:

this is just as bad.

Action Jackson
08-30-2006, 11:12 AM
This just gets worse and worse.

Corey Feldman
08-30-2006, 04:57 PM
De Vile doesnt care about the players... just the cash.
but the worst part about it all is the players are saying nothing, apart from to say they like it... which is unbelievable.

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2006, 06:54 PM
De Vile doesnt care about the players... just the cash.

This is one of the reasons that he has been brought in I think. They couldn't have anyone with any connections with tennis spearheading these kind of revolutionary changes which, if widely accepted, make most of the history of the game irrelevant. No way someone with anything to do with the sport presents these kind of changes.

NYCtennisfan
08-30-2006, 06:55 PM

this is just as bad.

Yep, pretty much.

Action Jackson
08-31-2006, 08:28 AM

this is just as bad.

I can see it now all those boxers who trained hard to get a shot at the title, going through RR that would make perfect sense :p

Chris Seahorse
08-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Its going to be very interesting how two players who are both 0-2 in round robin deal with playing each other in the final round of round robin knowing that even if they win the final match they aren't going through to the next round. Interesting but I doubt very entertaining. Rather sad infact. Two professional tennis players reduced to having to play a stupid match with no insentive to win whatsoever. Great brilliant. I really don't believe we do get tennis players who bet against themselves (or at least it is very rare), but in a situation like this I must admit I would hardly blame them. No tennis player should be forced to play such a meaningless match.

aussie_fan
08-31-2006, 09:23 AM
No, why do we need to change anything? the game is fine the way it is.

Action Jackson
08-31-2006, 09:27 AM
They could always both withdraw, that would be funny.

bobjoe66
08-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Its going to be very interesting how two players who are both 0-2 in round robin deal with playing each other in the final round of round robin knowing that even if they win the final match they aren't going through to the next round. Interesting but I doubt very entertaining. Rather sad infact. Two professional tennis players reduced to having to play a stupid match with no insentive to win whatsoever. Great brilliant. I really don't believe we do get tennis players who bet against themselves (or at least it is very rare), but in a situation like this I must admit I would hardly blame them. No tennis player should be forced to play such a meaningless match.

I agree, it would just lead to a whole load of withdrawls and retirements, which would mess up h2h records...this just doesn't make sense at all.

BlakeorHenman
08-31-2006, 05:46 PM
Round Robin matches are too tough on the top players. Federer and Nadal should get a walkover to the semi-finals.

Hotzenplotz
10-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Thank you, Mr. Disney, not only the RR but all these changes suck :mad:

keqtqiadv
10-28-2006, 12:39 AM
RR :retard:

Ernham
10-28-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure. I suspect it's going to turn out crappy, though. I can already see it's going to make Tennis more "cheat prone" as well as making it tougher for new blood/talent to emerge.

L James
10-28-2006, 01:00 AM
I read in some article De Villiers said the introduction of Round Robin was also 'what the fans wanted to see'. Which fans did he ask? From all the talk I've heard, it seems the majority are NOT in favour of RR.

SwissMister1
10-28-2006, 01:57 AM
I agree lebron, its a terrible idea- made worse by the fact that my tournament the Legg Mason is going with the round robin. I sent several arguments against it in an email to the tournament, doubt it will see the light of day though. Next time I play at the indoor courts there I will try to see someone about it.

Action Jackson
10-28-2006, 02:00 AM
I agree lebron, its a terrible idea- made worse by the fact that my tournament the Legg Mason is going with the round robin. I sent several arguments against it in an email to the tournament, doubt it will see the light of day though. Next time I play at the indoor courts there I will try to see someone about it.

Well the tournaments I am going to won't have them, but the one I intended going to will have it. The thing is they wouldn't be prepared to have a reasonable debate these issues at all.

NYCtennisfan
10-28-2006, 02:16 AM
I read in some article De Villiers said the introduction of Round Robin was also 'what the fans wanted to see'. Which fans did he ask? From all the talk I've heard, it seems the majority are NOT in favour of RR.

Indeed. Were there some surveys that were handed out that I am not aware of? Did they extrapolate from, "Fans want to see their favorite players," into, "Let's change the foundation of Open Era tennis by introducing a fucking clown idea?" Is this what happened?

Action Jackson
10-28-2006, 02:19 AM
Indeed. Were there some surveys that were handed out that I am not aware of? Did they extrapolate from, "Fans want to see their favorite players," into, "Let's change the foundation of Open Era tennis by introducing a fucking clown idea?" Is this what happened?

Ok, this is how it happened and one thing that dictators have been known to use.

Mr Disney says he cares about the fans etc etc.

Well, it seemed he only asked people that agreed with him. It's like when Saddam Hussein was in power he had 99,5 percent of the official support of the Iraqi population allegedly, therefore he could say they approve of what I am doing.

NYCtennisfan
10-28-2006, 02:21 AM
Ok, this is how it happened and one thing that dictators have been known to use.

Mr Disney says he cares about the fans etc etc.

Well, it seemed he only asked people that agreed with him. It's like when Saddam Hussein was in power he had 99,5 percent of the official support of the Iraqi population allegedly, therefore he could say they approve of what I am doing.

:lol: Or like Hosni Mubaraak now. The official ATP site should put up some kind of poll for this.

Action Jackson
10-28-2006, 02:25 AM
:lol: Or like Hosni Mubaraak now. The official ATP site should put up some kind of poll for this.

Well or Turkmenbashi is another one who pulls these tacitcs. As if they would ask us what we really thought.

*Viva Chile*
10-28-2006, 02:30 AM
It's really annoying to see Mr. Disney saying that "most of the fans" like the idea :o Why not we complain on ATPtennis.com to say "NO to RR" ??

MTF is a well known forum for ATP people and tennis commentarists, so why not?

Action Jackson
10-28-2006, 02:35 AM
MTF is a well known forum for ATP people and tennis commentarists, so why not?

Is it that well known?