Will Argentina win their first Davis Cup in history? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Argentina win their first Davis Cup in history?

Heaven and Hell
08-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Argentina will be hosting Davis Cup finals playing the Australians in SF, with Hewitt not playing, Argenitna will likely walk over Australian team on clay to the final.

US will be playing agianst Russia. That one could be tricky because Russia may not have thier best bet Davydenko with them against Blake, Roddick and Wonder Twins. But I suspect Wonder Twins' winning streak on clay should bring US to the final.

So with the likelihood of Aregntina vs US playing in the final, who would you root for?

DrJules
08-26-2006, 10:52 PM
If US win in Russia then certainly Argentina will beat US in Argentina.

croat123
08-26-2006, 10:54 PM
arg will win for sure. too bad cro didn't have mario against them :sad:

marti_228
08-26-2006, 10:57 PM
If the US wins against Russia, there will be a lot of chances for us to win our first DC!!

Jimnik
08-26-2006, 10:59 PM
It's a question of who will win the Russia-USA tie. If Russia wins, they will play the final in Moscow on indoor carpet. I can't even see Nalbandian stopping Safin and Tursunov on carpet.

ys
08-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Roddick and Blake beating Safin and Davydenko on clay? :lol:

ASP0315
08-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Like Jules said Argentina will win if US win. But US winning on clay is very difficult. Argentina's chances on Indoor Carpet are very less. Nalby plays well on carpet surface. Even if Nalbandian wins both of his matches, I don't see Acasuso, Gaudio, or Coria winning on carpet. So Russia will win this year.

arg will win for sure. too bad cro didn't have mario against them :sad:
Or Karlovic. He got in into dispute with The Crotian Tennis Federation.

allero
08-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Like Jules said Argentina will win if US win. But US winning on clay is very difficult. Argentina's chances on Indoor Carpet are very less. Nalby plays well on carpet surface. Even if Nalbandian wins both of his matches, I don't see Acasuso, Gaudio, or Coria winning on carpet. So Russia will win this year.

Calleri and Cañas are capable of beating Tursunov on an indoor carpet.

Jimnik
08-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Roddick and Blake beating Safin and Davydenko on clay? :lol:
Why not? Have you seen Marat on clay this year?

michelleg
08-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Oh no. I have airline tickets and an apartment overlooking the Lawn Tennis in Buenos Aires that first week of December. It will be a US-Argentina final, and Argentina will win.

And if that scenario doesn't pan out, guess I will be tennis-less and aimlessly wandering Las Canitas. Either way, its all good.

DrJules
08-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Why not? Have you seen Marat on clay this year?

Tursunov has impressed more actually.

Jimnik
08-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Tursunov has impressed more actually.
He had a surprising run at Roland Garros but I still wouldn't pick him ahead of Marat.

It's going to be interesting to watch. Besides Davydenko, we basically have a bunch of claycourt clowns playing eachother on clay.

jayjay
08-27-2006, 12:15 AM
As things stand today we are in good shape to win the DC, however things change quickly in Tennis and by the time the DC Final comes around the situation may well be different.

If America pull off an upset in Russia, then we have won the DC. No one can beat us at home bar Spain, it's that simple.

Mostly people will expect a Russia-Argentina final, and the way things stand right now we'd be marginal favs. They are not going to choose clay against us, although as things are they may well be advised to do so.

Safin is clearly not playing anywhere the way he can, and he has failed to click all season - there is still time for him, but if he arrives at DC Final as he is now then no one can say he is a given to win two rubbers.

And then Davydenko - Chela has already beaten him on Hard recently and is 5-0 against him lifetime. Gordo is currently playing Davydenko right now and if he can win, it will be another psychological boost for us.

Doubles are up for grabs, regardless of surface.

It's pretty much set in stone we'll be using the same squad for the whole year - Nalbandian, Calleri, Acasuso & Chela. It's a right mix and they are the best 4 players we have this year, with Gaudio for me a non-option anyway and Coria obviously with his own issues to deal with before he can think about a DC return (even though he has been thinking and dreaming of it.....dreaming more than thinking).

Re: Hewitt in Argentina - It's irrelevant to the outcome of the tie whether he comes or not, if he comes maybe Aussies will lose 4-1 instead of 5-0, maybe if they are lucky. It would be nice if he turned up so he can face the music, but in terms of the tie itself it matters very little if at all.

Surely no one really thinks Australia can beat us in Argentina, given what we did to them on their own patch.

marti_228
08-27-2006, 03:02 AM
Oh no. I have airline tickets and an apartment overlooking the Lawn Tennis in Buenos Aires that first week of December. It will be a US-Argentina final, and Argentina will win.

And if that scenario doesn't pan out, guess I will be tennis-less and aimlessly wandering Las Canitas. Either way, its all good.

Este año la Davis se juega en parque Roca, tipo que igual el depto no te va a servir.
Donde vivis?

Egag
08-27-2006, 03:11 AM
Este año la Davis se juega en parque Roca, tipo que igual el depto no te va a servir.
Donde vivis?

ah yes i understand perfectly ;)

Jlee
08-27-2006, 03:32 AM
No, because the US has it ;) hehe

marti_228
08-27-2006, 03:46 AM
Donde vivis?

ah yes i understand perfectly ;)

Testing your Spanish? haha

shotgun
08-27-2006, 03:56 AM
Mostly people will expect a Russia-Argentina final, and the way things stand right now we'd be marginal favs.

Argentina a favourite against Russia, on indoor carpet? I disagree. Though it could go either way, Russian players are more suited to these conditions.

jayjay
08-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Argentina a favourite against Russia, on indoor carpet? I disagree. Though it could go either way, Russian players are more suited to these conditions.

Ordinarily, no. At present though I think we would be - although I was working on the basis Gordo would get a win over Davydenko tonight and extend the psychological hold. To have Chela and Calleri beat Davydenko on Hard would have been nice.

With Safin the way he currently is, Russia can't rely on him to win 2 matches, or even 1. And Nalbandian would be a fav against Davydenko, and either Chucho or Calleri would also have a chance against him.

As I said though, alot of things can change between now and then with regards form/injury etc - so at present nothing really matters.

I can't see US upsetting Russia, but it would be great for us if they did - it would be a virtual guarantee we would win DC and to do it in Argentina would be special for the fans.

Action Jackson
08-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Ordinarily, no. At present though I think we would be - although I was working on the basis Gordo would get a win over Davydenko tonight and extend the psychological hold. To have Chela and Calleri beat Davydenko on Hard would have been nice. .

0-4 is Calleri's record over Davydenko. Yes, he plays better in a DC environment, but the Russians will be playing on a very fast court and that will suit them.

Argentina would only be favourites if they played the Yanks and the Russians had a big injury crisis which would have Kunitsyn playing singles and even then he plays a lot better there than anywhere on the tour.

Egag
08-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Testing your Spanish? haha

lol Thats spanish writing? :)

Andre♥
08-27-2006, 09:48 AM
It's going to be Argentina vs USA in the final. Russia will miss Andreev a lot.

And if that happens, it'll be a 50-50 match because of the choking ability of the argentinian players.

michelleg
08-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Donde vivis?

Pues el final en parque Roca? Esta bien, me quedo con departamento bien ubicado.

Yo soy de los eeuu...

zaboomafoo
08-28-2006, 06:41 PM
of course we will win it, its ours already i can feel it :drool:

Neely
08-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Maybe they will this year, and it would be about time that a tennis country like Argentina finally get their first Davis Cup title.

jayjay
08-28-2006, 08:45 PM
It's going to be Argentina vs USA in the final. Russia will miss Andreev a lot.

And if that happens, it'll be a 50-50 match because of the choking ability of the argentinian players.

We are pretty formidable at home. Only a side like Spain could beat us in Argentina right now. USA won't have any chance to win realistically, although unlike Hewitt at least they might find the balls to make the trip.

It would be a mighty effort for USA to win in Russia and Argentina, even the most optimistic US fan would be hard pushed to believe it is on the cards.