If Andre Agassi avoids injury(+ beats Baghdatis) do you think he will defeat Roddick? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If Andre Agassi avoids injury(+ beats Baghdatis) do you think he will defeat Roddick?

atpSUPERMAN
08-25-2006, 02:21 PM
If Andre Agassi avoids injury (and beats Baghdatis in R2) do you think he will defeat Roddick in the 4th Round? I think he will, and Agassi leads Roddick 5-1 head2head including a win in 2004.

Deboogle!.
08-25-2006, 02:22 PM
I think Andre's much bigger problem is Baghdatis.

atpSUPERMAN
08-25-2006, 02:23 PM
I think Andre's much bigger problem is Baghdatis.

I agree, but if he wins that I think he will cruise through the draw.

atpSUPERMAN
08-25-2006, 02:33 PM
That would be cool defeating Roddick AND Connors at the same time.

njorker
08-25-2006, 02:46 PM
It would be nice if Andre could make it all the way through the finals (since this is his last hurrah), but given his injuries, I don't think he could even make it past Baghdatis.

lordmanji
08-25-2006, 03:48 PM
I stopped rooting for Andre to make it to the final of this year's USO after it became apparent that he can't win versus Federer. There's no point in rooting for a guy who can't win and who will knock out guys who can win.

I can't believe im saying this, but out of that quarter, Roddick has the best chance to defeat Federer the way he's been playing and has shown he can beat Federer on a fast hardcourt in Cinci 2003.

What was worst about last year's USO was that Andre knocked out blake and ginepri, really stopping the emergence of the next generation of american tennis players by "hanging on."

atpSUPERMAN
08-25-2006, 04:00 PM
In last year's final Agassi won the 2nd set 6-2 and manhandled Federer like I've never seen any player do before, making him run corner2corner like Michael Chang. And then Agassi got up a break in the 3rd set. The only reason Agassi didn't finish Fed off was he had played 3 straight 5-setters and ran out of gas.

mashamaniac
08-25-2006, 04:00 PM
i think andre's time is already over,and even if he plays his best tennis again will lose,now not to baghi but to a-rod!!

Deboogle!.
08-25-2006, 04:07 PM
In last year's final Agassi won the 2nd set 6-2 and manhandled Federer like I've never seen any player do before, making him run corner2corner like Michael Chang. And then Agassi got up a break in the 3rd set. The only reason Agassi didn't finish Fed off was he had played 3 straight 5-setters and ran out of gas.But that was a year ago. Andre was healthy in LA and Gonzo bullied him off the court. He was healthy in DC and lost to a total nobody not playing well. I mean, I'd like nothing more than to see Andre have a great run for his final slam but what we've seen of him this year, there's no reason to believe he'll be able to beat top 10 players. Of course, Andre is the type of guy who if he IS fit, can work his way in and start playing well, he could hit top form pretty fast. But we can only go by what we know right now.

partygirl
08-25-2006, 04:09 PM
i think andre's time is already over
ditto.
it is unfortunate, i do hope he makes it to the 4th round though...
so his last act will be to give Roddick even more lovely (much needed) confidence.:)
that is fitting the champ he is and about all that can be expected.

but i know nothing and anything can happen but to get through these two will definetly take it out of a guy who has little left - he won't make it another round.

MisterQ
08-25-2006, 04:15 PM
No one has mentioned Pavel. I'd say he has enough game to give Andre trouble if he's struggling that day.

Just taking it round by round this year... ;)

Ivanatis
08-25-2006, 04:36 PM
he will neither beat Marcos nor Roddick, unfortunately :sad:

Adler
08-25-2006, 04:47 PM
He's got his chances. He's one of the greatest returners in the history of the game, and also he's better baseliner. I think the result would depend on Andre's condition only, which is quite poor recently, but don't forget his determination at US Opens

morningglory
08-25-2006, 04:49 PM
no. but hey, what I think has little or no bearing as to what will actually happen :)

atpSUPERMAN
08-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Interesting thread to bump in a week...

ThePunisher23
08-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Agassi undoubtly has the HARDEST draw this year in the Open...

1st round) Pavel
2nd round) Baghdatis
3rd round) Grosjean
4th round) Roddick
QuarterFls) Ljubicic, Hewitt, Djokovic or Gasquet
SemiFinals) Rafa
Finals) FEDEX

As a huge Agassi fan i can't help to think of how amazing it would be if he could actually repeat his performance from last years Open to make it to the Final again...but in all honestly and to be totally realistic, given Agassi's back condition and the lack of match play he has had all year its highly unlikely or feasible to think that Andre has either the stamina or belief to think he can even make it out of the Quarter...Any fan familiar with Agassi's game knows that a lot of how he plays is based on rhythm and mental belief...when he gets flustered he can lose in a quick second...his game is based around working the point and getting settled with pinpoint shot accuracy...if he feels out of sorts or his groundstrokes aren't being hit in the exact desired locations on the court his mental focus breaks down and he begins to play fast (faster than normal) and starts to make terrible mistakes...if Andre is not able to find a comfort zone in his first match against Pavel he is very likely to be beaten by baghdatis in straight sets...since Andre has reached a point in his life that limits his ability to get the needed match play, he relies on out thinking his opponents...the only problem is, Agassi can't overcome his physical restrictions and that makes it difficult for Agassi to focus his efforts on matches longer than 3 sets...this belief comes down to the fact that if Agassi does not start off fast and get early leads in his first 3-4 rounds at the Open it is not likely that he will be willing or able to push matches to five sets like he did only one year ago...this tournament for Agassi fans will be difficult to watch if the Agassi gets down in any match...normally, it isn't a problem for Andre to be able to fight back and win matches even when he isn't playing well...this year that won't be the case...Agassi is going to have to play exceptionally well and hope he can get by some close matches...he doesn't have the physical luxury of pushing matches to the 5th set (as he did 5 times last year at the Open)...regardless of everything, though, Agassi is the hardest working player i have ever seen and to me he is the most talented player i know because he has battled through many ups and downs...through many decades...through many player styles and has reached #1 at numerous occasions...he has won each slam, the olympic gold medal and the tennis masters cup...he has still won the most tennis masters events (17) and no matter how difficult his draw I really hope he can make a major push this year...

Tennis will never be the same without Andre and i am very upset that he is leaving the tour...i grew up watching him and he was my inspiration at so many points in my life...i think he's a great person and player and i really hate to see him leave...on the flip side, i know that this is the right time for his retirement and he has a family and many other committments that he has to attend to...his physical limitations are a very big reason as to why he has to leave now and i hope that his final appearence at this years Open is as memorable as all the others he has given us throughout his pro career...

cedez
08-25-2006, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Andre had a nice run at the US Open. He's toughest matched are in the first and second round. He owns Roddick, so I really don't think that match will be a problem.

pmhong
08-25-2006, 11:55 PM
What was worst about last year's USO was that Andre knocked out blake and ginepri, really stopping the emergence of the next generation of american tennis players by "hanging on."

I disagree. Andre was not hanging on last year. He was simply better than Blake and Ginepri. He played well all year and he played really well against Federer. Andre was playing a high level tennis last year. He is ending his career this year by going through the motion and taking bows, not trying to win one more. Of all players, I think Andre is the only one who didn't hang on.

Pete Sampras was a recent example of many champions who was hanging on. (I'm not trying to cause Pete vs. Andre debate here) Pete was definitely past his prime. But he wanted to end his career on a high note by winning one more grand slam. So he went on a long period of not winning anything and then, because of his immense talent, he was able to squeeze out one more. Both players were great, but I personally like the way Andre is ending his career. And he is definitely not hindering the emergence of the new generation.

lunahielo
08-26-2006, 01:32 AM
no

TenHound
08-26-2006, 01:35 AM
Cahill was just quoted as saying he hadn't gotten a Cortisone shot, so who know what shape that little body of his will be in...beat AR this yr....not w/that body...he can't do anything w/it except show up for one last round of thunderous applause, which is the point of the exercise - selling tickets/basking in the applause one last time...

c_zimma
08-26-2006, 01:45 AM
I'd think Roddick would take him out. Hopefully, Agassi can finish strong.

Kristen
08-26-2006, 03:08 AM
Not particularly. I think he should take things one step at a time...see if he can get over the first hurdle.

Fedex
08-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I agree, but if he wins that I think he will cruise through the draw.
Even if he wins, Andre is definitely not cruising through anybody. I dont see him lasting long, sadly.

scarecrows
08-26-2006, 11:38 AM
I stopped rooting for Andre to make it to the final of this year's USO after it became apparent that he can't win versus Federer. There's no point in rooting for a guy who can't win and who will knock out guys who can win.

what the fuck!

williaer
08-26-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't think he'll beat Andy but oh my goodness I want them to play each other so badly because of the influence he's had on Andy in the past, I think it'd be awesome for his last match to be against 'the future of American tennis'. It'd be so emotional for the both of them and I really can't think of a better (and more realistic) way for Andre to end his professional career).

atpSUPERMAN
08-26-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't see how Andre would let Connors and Roddick beat him. The lure of beating 2 punks at once is too much.

rod99
08-26-2006, 08:20 PM
i don't consider agassi's draw that difficult. afterall, being unseeded, who could have drawn federer/nadal/roddick, etc in the first or 2nd round.