Qualy Report Day 3, 4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Qualy Report Day 3, 4

SwissMister1
08-25-2006, 04:01 AM
You can see my day 2 report in the US Open forum

I walked in to the center and headed over to Armstrong and saw Tommy Haas practice, pretty casual practice there. I was then going to watch Dancevic/Uhlirach but it turned out they weren't letting anyone in! Not sure what is the point of having a match in an empty stadium.

So I watched a bit of a few matches to start

Gremelmayr v Kryvonos

Kryvonos is a local kid from Queens and had some supporters out but ran into trouble as Gremelmayr plays a similar game to him but much better and is a lefty as well. Denis was quite solid today from the baseline, covered ground really well, and there was no doubt who was winning this match.

Wessels v Galvani

If you squint and look at some angles Wessels looks a lot like Chris Martin of Coldplay. He was certainly serving at the speed of sound today, even though he was hitting a lot of errors with his backhand. He broke at 4-4 in the second and that was the match, served it out easily. Galvani looked like a homeless man last year with his rumpled plain shirt and scruffy beard and now is cleaned up and has a clothing sponsor, so that is progress, but his returns were lacking today.

Kubot v Troicki

Fun match, Kubot was pretty solid from the baseline and decent at net. Troicki is quite funny, he was dressed wearing a collared button down white shirt with a front pocket, something you'd wear out with a nice pair of pants or something. When he got a call overturned against him late in the match, went up to the umpire and yelled out, "THIS IS A BULLSHIT!" and went on about the calls that werent overturned all match.

Witten v Andujar

This match wasn't very good, neither guy impressed me in the part I saw. Witten hits a hard ball and a decent two handed BH but is a little too stocky, doesnt move that well. Andujar comes in to net more than the average Spaniard.

Vanek v Weiner

Weiner plays mostly serve and volley, to some success, although Vanek came up with some good passing shots and was generally much better from the baseline, neither guy was playing particularly well though.

Llodra v Gulbis

I watched all of this match, actually a very fun well played match. Llodra served and volleyed well, had some great touch at the net and his backhand was better today. Gulbis certianly has talent. He looked like a pretty young kid and could use some more muscle but the talent and shots are definitely there. He already hits a surprisingly big serve and good groundstokes. Really he needs to learn to focus on the big points and match strategy and I think Gulbis has some very good potential. By the way, Mahut was watching this match with Llodra's coach a few seats away from me, pretty scary guy up close ;)

Korolev v Prpic

Was really impressed seeing Korolev up close. His forehand is a big cannon although sometimes that cannon misfires badly, he cut down on the errors today and played very well. He has huge shots and I think lots of talent, sometimes loses focus but I think he will be ranked quite high soon when he puts it all together. Prpic is a speedy consistent player but didn't have the firepower and was forcing his shots too much to keep up.

Lapentti v Healey

Watched a little of this match, Healey was just self destructing. The rains came really suddenly as it was only lightly spitting once or twice during the day. They called the matches, I peeked in the grandstand as I was leaving and saw Nadal and Lopez were still out hitting serves in the rain until they got stopped, Nadal stayed quite a while to sign stuff. I would have liked to have seen the rest of the matches but no way was I waiting around for a couple of hours there.

Lee
08-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the report. How's Lapentti's play?

njnetswill
08-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Chris Martin eh.

Make sure you get a chance to catch Crazy Dani. :wavey: :p

v__m
08-25-2006, 04:07 AM
very nice job again.....

thanks my friend

Action Jackson
08-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the reports Swiss and tomorrow if you could go to the Dani and Luczak matches it would be appreciated for sure.

SwissMister1
08-25-2006, 04:12 AM
It was too bad I didn't get to see Dani today, his first round match was great. The rematch with del Potro will be terrific though.

Lapentti has been pretty solid the last two days, against two different types of players, although both of his opponents were hurting themselves a lot so I don't think he has been tested much yet.

SwissMister1
08-25-2006, 04:17 AM
I plan on being on both of those matches. I just hope it doesn't rain again tomorrow. I may be going to the beach that evening until Sat., so I might not get a report up again until Sunday...

v__m
08-25-2006, 04:18 AM
It was too bad I didn't get to see Dani today, his first round match was great. The rematch with del Potro will be terrific though.

Lapentti has been pretty solid the last two days, against two different types of players, although both of his opponents were hurting themselves a lot so I don't think he has been tested much yet.

Nicolas Lapentti still a great player :yeah: :yeah:

Lee
08-25-2006, 04:18 AM

Thanks. Bastl will be a tough one tomorrow but I have confidence in Nico.

hopefully not misplaced

v__m
08-25-2006, 04:19 AM
I plan on being on both of those matches. I just hope it doesn't rain again tomorrow. I may be going to the beach that evening until Sat., so I might not get a report up again until Sunday...

how peya are playing ???? playing solid or what ?

cheers my friend

Merton
08-25-2006, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the reports Swiss.

Action Jackson
08-25-2006, 04:25 AM

No problems, anything will be appreciated from those 2 matches.

I just hope that Koubek doesn't lose to that buffoon Zib.

SwissMister1
08-25-2006, 04:28 AM
Sadly I havent seen Peya and his great hair yet, and the schedule makers have conspired against me as I might not see him tomorrow either.

Action Jackson
08-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Yes, they are conspiring against you Swiss and Peya has great hair for sure.

SwissMister1
08-25-2006, 04:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Koubek will win the battle of the weird hairlines. He has been doing great since the second set against Faurel. Zib has had really easy opponents so far, and isn't exactly known for winning matches with anything on the line.

Action Jackson
08-25-2006, 04:37 AM
As much as I like El Fashionista, he did manage to lose to Lisnard.

Too bad he isn't wearing this great fashion combo.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=4019007&postcount=13

SwissMister1
08-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Next week I'll have to post the pictures of him wearing the bright yellow sleeveless shirt :lol:

hanabishi
08-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Great Report again, SwissMister1! Keep it up. :rocker:

*Ljubica*
08-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks again for your reports. Look forward to your del Potro/Dani reports :)

SwissMister1
08-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Okay here is my report again from a rain delayed Friday

Gaudio practicing on Grandstand

Gaston practiced with a pudgy blond lefty guy I am assuming is his coach. It is amazing watching him hit his backhand over and over up close. After his practice Blake and Fish came on and Blake went to his side and they talked for a while while rallying with the lefty and Fish on the other side, Gaston and James seemed pretty friendly

Federer/Wawrinka practice at Louie Armstrong

Pretty casual practice, they did some volleying drills as well, no Rochey there, didn't recognize the long haired guy that was with them. Roger's hair is fairly short now, he basically doesn't need the hairband anymore.

Pless v Levy

I started here and watched for a bit. Levy hits harder but was quite inconsistent, Pless didn't have to do much special and was running away with the match. I didn't stay long as it was too crowded - I have never seen a match with an Israeli player on the outer courts at the open that wasn't packed

Llodra v Goodall

Watched the first set here, both players S & V but Llodra comes in more than Goodall. Not sure what happened after the first set as when I was watching Llodra was clearly outplaying and outstrategizing Goodall. Goodall is good around the net and hits some good forehands, also he looks more intimidating than the stereotypical gentleman Brit.

Baghdatis/Youzhny practice

Both guys looked good in practice, a number of kids in Greek flags watching, funny because last year I watched Marcos v Tursunov at the Open with about 10 other people on a way outer court, how times change

del Potro v Koellerer

The rematch - great tennis until about 4-3 when I believe Dani hurt his shoulder. Best rally was Dani hit drop shot, JM came in and got to it, Dani hit lob, JM ran it down and hit a forehand, Dani hit drop shot, JM came in and got to it, Dani hit lob, JM ran it down and hit a between the legs winner returning it. After the shoulder injury and trainer came out that was basically it. Dani threw his racquet around and cursed the umpire in German a few times, I guess that is a good way to avoid code violation. After the match, the two did shake hands, I have pictures to prove, although it was a little heated out there, JM much more emotional today than last match I saw him, and Dani did yell out VAMOS! at the top of his lungs after a winner in response to JM's fist pumps. Dani spent a good 5 minutes just sitting in his chair after the match looking really dejected

Kendrick v Korolev

Good match, two hard hitters, got there in time to see Evgeny serve out the second, was really pumped up. Sat near Evgeny's dad, who is the stereotypical intense Russian dad, yelling stuff out to Evgeny frequently. Was very tight third set, both guys came close to breaking until Evgeny got broken at 5-6, was too bad as I hoped Evgeny would pull it out. Kendrick after the match threw his racquet to some kids that were screaming for him the whole time.

Russell v Luczak

Happened to sit in front of John Fitzgerald who was wearing a 2001 Davis Cup Florianopolis shirt - way to live in the past, Fitzy...was weird hearing him yell out "Aggressive defence, Looch!" several times. Got there for second set, assumed Luczak would run away with it as he was playing well. He came in to net more than usual and served better than I had seen him before. However, Russell is a real fighter, didn't give up, saved match point in the second set tiebreak with a FH down the line winner. Afterwards he stopped to talk to a bunch of people, posed for pictures with an EMT, and mentioned he didn't know how he came back as Luczak had been untouchable in the first set.

Saw a little of Chiudinelli/Vacek during changeovers of this match. Vacek may be the slowest stiffest moving and hitting player I have ever seen, like Frankenstein playing tennis

Action Jackson
08-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Okay here is my report again from a rain delayed Friday

Gaudio practicing on Grandstand

Gaston practiced with a pudgy blond lefty guy I am assuming is his coach. It is amazing watching him hit his backhand over and over up close. After his practice Blake and Fish came on and Blake went to his side and they talked for a while while rallying with the lefty and Fish on the other side, Gaston and James seemed pretty friendly

Russell v Luczak

Happened to sit in front of John Fitzgerald who was wearing a 2001 Davis Cup Florianopolis shirt - way to live in the past, Fitzy...was weird hearing him yell out "Aggressive defence, Looch!" several times. Got there for second set, assumed Luczak would run away with it as he was playing well. He came in to net more than usual and served better than I had seen him before. However, Russell is a real fighter, didn't give up, saved match point in the second set tiebreak with a FH down the line winner. Afterwards he stopped to talk to a bunch of people, posed for pictures with an EMT, and mentioned he didn't know how he came back as Luczak had been untouchable in the first set.

Thanks for the reports they are truly appreciated and the pudgy guy is Franco Davin his coach.

Do you mind if I use your Russell vs Luczak elsewhere with full credit to you? For me it was a win/lose situation, as I wanted both to qualify and I'd love to have been there. Both are decent guys and fight very hard as well and as for Luczak, it looks like the challengers for him.

Jim Courier
08-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Good for Kendrick, i thought it was ridiculous he didn't get a WC and Young did.
I only saw his match against Nadal at Wimbledon, but he was very enjoyable to watch, not intimidated at all and good inspiration. Does he go to the net as much?

avocadoe
08-26-2006, 11:01 AM
thanks for the reports, even just a bit brings them alive in your words. I wonder if Feds will eschew the hair band. We'll see. He must have had the cut after the 'play on the streets of NY" exhibition, because in those picks his hair was wild. Have fun at the beach when you get there, and then return for more live reports :)

*Ljubica*
08-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks again for your great report. I would love to see the pics of Juan Martin and crazy Dani..............if you could post them in JM's Forum when they're ready it would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks again.

:secret: Still laughing at Franco D. beng called "pudgy" :haha:

michelleg
08-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Oh, too too funny about the pudgy guy hitting with Gaston. We want pics!

Swiss, miss seeing you there this year....

FSRteam
08-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Federer/Wawrinka practice at Louie Armstrong

Pretty casual practice, they did some volleying drills as well, no Rochey there, didn't recognize the long haired guy that was with them. Roger's hair is fairly short now, he basically doesn't need the hairband anymore.

Was a player?
A blond guy wearing nike stuff?

If so, might be bohli!

SwissMister1
08-26-2006, 04:01 PM
glad you guys liked it. turns out I am going to manhattan tonite instead of the beach.

I do have pictures of just about all of these matches (even one of pudgy Davin), and some videos as well, I'll post as I can

George - of course you can. Enjoyed the match a lot, great tennis indeed

Michelle are you going this year? Julien wasn't stuck in qualies this year of course

FSR - the guy had long brown hair seemed to be some sort of coach and looked to be in his late 30s

I'll be back for Mon and Tues, got grounds passes, my friend is coming up, so I know I'll be watching Calleri/Moya and Youzhny's match as those are my friend's favourites

Foosimoo
08-26-2006, 07:35 PM
I enjoy reading these everytime you post them Swissmister. :worship:
When you go next, try to get some pictures of Ollie for me! :p