Green links in posts ????? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Green links in posts ?????

LaTenista
08-21-2006, 10:50 PM
It's enough to deal with all the ads/pop-ups but now they are implanted in our own posts. WTF :eek:

el güero
08-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Yeah, pretty annoying :(

David Kenzie
08-21-2006, 11:33 PM
It is a shame for such a great forum to come to this ... Time to look for a new tennis forum for me unless these "smart ads" disapear ...

Deboogle!.
08-21-2006, 11:45 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

LaTenista
08-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Now there's one in my signature. :help:

+alonso
08-22-2006, 03:18 AM
Hi, I've had huge issues related to the navigation on the site, It's soo slow when I try to roll down/up with my mouse, It is just not ok!

BUT... I noticed something, out of nowhere, almost in every thread there's a word which is green-marked for ex: Us Open, where you can click on, then It goes to a crazy search website , I know it's crazy but that thing doesn't allow me to surf over mtf
It's like a link just to bother :p and It appears in word that are already posted by people! just to remind me thinks, like push me :lol:

I want to know, if there's a relation with mtf and this!
Thanks

+alonso
08-22-2006, 03:21 AM
an example

savesthedizzle
08-22-2006, 03:25 AM
Also annoying because even premium members have to see them.... and I thought we paid to NOT have to.

wtn_amanda
08-22-2006, 03:31 AM
It's enough to deal with all the ads/pop-ups but now they are implanted in our own posts. WTF :eek:

There are no pop-ups on this site atm. If you are seeing them, suggest you run a spyware scan.

wtn_amanda
08-22-2006, 03:31 AM
Also annoying because even premium members have to see them.... and I thought we paid to NOT have to.

You shouldn't be seeing them as a premium member now.

savesthedizzle
08-22-2006, 03:34 AM
You shouldn't be seeing them as a premium member now.

:yeah:

+alonso
08-22-2006, 03:35 AM
I'm sorry to have posted another thread about the same, I just didn't see this first!
Anyway, I wanted to know If It's me or it's MTF :confused:

wtn_amanda
08-22-2006, 03:43 AM
I'm sorry to have posted another thread about the same, I just didn't see this first!
Anyway, I wanted to know If It's me or it's MTF :confused:

It's MTF.

I merged your thread with this one.

+alonso
08-22-2006, 03:49 AM
Thank you Amanda :yeah:

I just disabled it! I hope it works fine now! :)

LaTenista
08-22-2006, 03:57 AM
There are no pop-ups on this site atm. If you are seeing them, suggest you run a spyware scan.

I installed a pop up blocker over a year ago and have never disabled it since. I just assumed they were still running for other people :shrug:

Fee
08-22-2006, 04:39 AM
I'm getting them, and the most annoying thing is that they have slowed down the forum incredibly for me. It's not fun to be here at the moment. :(

J. Corwin
08-22-2006, 05:25 AM
I don't see them anymore now but I did remember seeing a huge green banner link for the US Open in Fee's signature and was wondering why she was running that kind of a promotion;)

Scotso
08-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Thank god I'm a premium member here. I wish I could be on WTAworld.

Fee
08-22-2006, 05:56 AM
I don't see them anymore now but I did remember seeing a huge green banner link for the US Open in Fee's signature and was wondering why she was running that kind of a promotion;)

Oh, you missed the links for Shakira and raincoats?

David Kenzie
08-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Please bring pop ups back instead of this, it really turns the website into rubbish...

shotgun
08-22-2006, 02:34 PM
MTF currently looks like one of those fake search engines full of trojans/spywares.

Lee
08-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Please bring pop ups back instead of this, it really turns the website into rubbish...

And sluggish.

Regenbogen
08-22-2006, 06:20 PM
It's just really annoying...you have to be careful that you don't hover your mouse over any of them, that's what I really don't like

daze11
08-22-2006, 06:26 PM
wow, for a green-link gimmick....it sure has become quiet around here. who knew it would drive everyone from even bothering to come to these boards.

probably a good idea to discontinue that practice, huh? i think people are irritated beyond belief.

Lee
08-22-2006, 06:27 PM
It's just really annoying...you have to be careful that you don't hover your mouse over any of them, that's what I really don't like

Yep and I start losing my interest posting here.

Deboogle!.
08-22-2006, 06:31 PM
I understand that MTF has grown quite huge and all and costs money to maintain but surely there must be some other way? Surely the goal isn't to make the board so impossible to browse that people want to leave...

08-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Yep and I start losing my interest posting here.
I think that is the whole idea. MTF has always been a stepchild to the WTA. I have already suggested just doing away with MTF in another thread.

Steve
08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
I posted this on WTA and figure it is about time to answer some questions here for you all as well.
The little green links are called Kontera and we are "testing" it out to see how much revenue we can generate from it. If it is not benificial for us to have it we will definitely get rid of it.
As every forum admin knows running a forum is not free and as the member base grows it only costs more money and then you get to the point where you can no longer add users because of the budget and capability of the servers.
This sort of advertising is mandatory on any forum in order to maintain and enhance it. The intention is not to break even on income month by month, the site needs to grow for the benefit of all members, whether it be number of users, functionality, enhancements it all costs money. We have invested in upgrading the servers, hosts, and are currently working on upgrades to the site; some you see and some are still in the works. All of this costs money and with advertisers in the mix it helps keep this site "free" for you members.
Upgrades will not happen overnight however with the new equipment we will be able to offer a lot more up to and including video hosting. Unfortunately we are not able to please everybody but we do and will continue to "try" and make "everyone" happy.
Now back to Kontera
1. Yes I agree we should have notified you that we will be trying a new advertiser. It only makes sense to keep everyone informed so I do apologise for that.
2. Yes I agree that the Kontera should not be in your signatures and personal information. We do not have a second "working" copy of the site where we can test therefore we just added the info they gave us. We will edit the script so that it is less intrusive.
3. We are throwing the idea around of building a supreme membership. There would have to be a small fee associated with this membership and off the top of my head some of the perks would be a private supreme members forum, larger avatars, larger upload capability, some promotional items (shirts?) the elimination of Kontera links, supreme member status, larger pm box... possibly an arcade section with some games to help pass the time or take a break. The list can go on and it will be up to you if and what you would like to do with this supreme membership if it is something that interests you.
4. The issue with Kontera crashing browsers is odd. I will look into it some more however if you are running old browser versions it may be time to upgrade anyway since you will eventually have problems on other sites as well. Upgrades are free
I spent most of my day today on a pc and a mac testing different browser versions and gradually upgrading. I was posting, surfing, everything and unfortunately I have not had it crash on me.

I¹ve seen Kontera on many other boards that I frequent and will admit at first it was really annoying but after a while I got used to seeing the green links and at times I even highlighted them to see what it said. All we ask is that you please be supportive of the community and the decisions that are made in order to keep it all together and "free".

adee-gee
08-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks Steve :scratch: :wavey:

While you're here, can I just ask that you approve my WTA world application. Thanks :kiss: :p

Deboogle!.
08-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks steve, appreciate your post. I can only speak for myself, but I come here to talk about tennis. Things like having avatars, different skins, the games, reputation, vbetting, etc, are nice and all, but I would give those up in an instant if it would help the board run more smoothly so that we can do what we came here for - chat and talk about tennis. Would getting rid of any of these things help the strain on the servers so that some of these other measures wouldn't be necessary?

Steve
08-22-2006, 11:08 PM
The upgraded servers will allow us to do things like this without having to worry about load. I figure since we have them we can offer ways of utilizing them. Keep in mind, these are only suggestions I was throwing out there as an example. Over time once we get things a little bit more organized and functional we will start a suggestions thread and begin implementing. Ive always loved the voting system on VB so I figure we gather a bunch of suggestions then we all vote on them. Its all up to you members.

shotgun
08-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks steve, appreciate your post. I can only speak for myself, but I come here to talk about tennis. Things like having avatars, different skins, the games, reputation, vbetting, etc, are nice and all, but I would give those up in an instant if it would help the board run more smoothly so that we can do what we came here for - chat and talk about tennis. Would getting rid of any of these things help the strain on the servers so that some of these other measures wouldn't be necessary?

pff... I'd give up General Messages for PAW any day. :p

Lee
08-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Thanks Steve for your response.

For me, the "green link" didn't crash my browser, it's just slow down when I load pages or roll up or down a page. I understand the cost of running a message board this size and how expansive for all those servers, thus, I'm not complaining about ads, etc. Just the "green link" is pretty invasive (lots more than pop ups or whatever advertisement on my page).

wtn_amanda
08-23-2006, 12:07 AM

You have to remember different people like this site for different reasons. We've pulled certain features before to reduce the strain on our servers, and the negative reaction far outweighed the positive. While I'm sure some would agree with you, you'd be amazed how attached people grow to features like avatars and their signatures they've spent time creating. It's a balancing act, but I do feel it would be ashame to scale back completely on all the great features the software brings to the overall community experience.

J. Corwin
08-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Thank you for your responses, Steve and Amanda. :)

While I understand all the work and dedication that goes behind the scenes to make this forum a great place for everyone, I too agree the green ad linking is a little too much. I've accidentally clicked on one of those before, and unless you have all the right anti-virus, pop-up blocker, and anti-spyware stuff working well, they manage to plant little evil cookies and trackers and they can just totally screw up someone's computer. This makes it very difficult for the member to post or navigate through this site and it starts a vicious cycle of "bad site...fewer posters...less popular, worse site.....even fewer posters."

Mario66
08-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Thank you for your responses, Steve and Amanda. :)

While I understand all the work and dedication that goes behind the scenes to make this forum a great place for everyone, I too agree the green ad linking is a little too much. I've accidentally clicked on one of those before, and unless you have all the right anti-virus, pop-up blocker, and anti-spyware stuff working well, they manage to plant little evil cookies and trackers and they can just totally screw up someone's computer. This makes it very difficult for the member to post or navigate through this site and it starts a vicious cycle of "bad site...fewer posters...less popular, worse site.....even fewer posters."

Every word above is true.

I would like to see a one member here in MTF, who likes/accepts them.

You must get rid of those green links a.s.a.p. and find something else instead of that.

:mad: :mad:

Deboogle!.
08-23-2006, 02:09 AM
You have to remember different people like this site for different reasons. We've pulled certain features before to reduce the strain on our servers, and the negative reaction far outweighed the positive. While I'm sure some would agree with you, you'd be amazed how attached people grow to features like avatars and their signatures they've spent time creating. It's a balancing act, but I do feel it would be ashame to scale back completely on all the great features the software brings to the overall community experience.I understand that, and I enjoy all these extras too, but I'd rather not have an av or a sig or be able to play pong than to have people so annoyed by these green links that they leave, and I think most people would rather give up some of these things and not have these, if the response in this thread is any indication of how others feel.

El Legenda
08-23-2006, 03:34 AM
i say get rid of everything avatars,sigs..everything even usernames :lol: give us numbers :rolls: i call 7 :wavey:

Fee
08-23-2006, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the responses, Steve and Amanda...

I am one of those who has become so frustrated in the last 24 hours that I am about to leave until someone tells me it's safe to come back. I completely understand the need for income to sustain the site, but I also question the need for all of these extra toys at this forum. This is a tennis forum and people come here to talk about tennis. Some of those same people like to talk about other things, and we have areas for them. Although I do like the photo galleries, I'm not sure video hosting would be necessary since so many people here just use youtube and usendit already (and it could open you up to serious liability, couldn't it?).

I use Internet Explorer (updated) and AOL to browse the forum, with a DSL connection. The forum is noticeably slower since yesterday. Also, it's just plain annoying to see one word in someone's post turn green as I'm reading it. Even though I have all kinds of protective software on my computer, there is no way I'm going to click on any of those links (and how smart are they anyway if they think the word Gambill is a verb?).

Please reconsider this, there has to be a less invasive way to find income for this forum and keep it the biggest and best tennis board on the 'internets'. :)

08-23-2006, 04:39 AM
The upgraded servers will allow us to do things like this without having to worry about load. I figure since we have them we can offer ways of utilizing them. Keep in mind, these are only suggestions I was throwing out there as an example. Over time once we get things a little bit more organized and functional we will start a suggestions thread and begin implementing. Ive always loved the voting system on VB so I figure we gather a bunch of suggestions then we all vote on them. Its all up to you members.
How nice a webmaster I didn't know about either. Nice to meet you Steve. Steve we already have paid membership here. It's just that not many people will pay. I have paid. Yet I'm constantly put down in MTF for what I like about it!
And what I like about it has been changed! So don't be expecting any more money out of me :( Oh BTW posters since I have paid I don't see any of the green links you are talking about. I had to just come to the site as a person just reading the site without any membership to see what you were talking about.

Deboogle!.
08-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Steve we already have paid membership here.I think, as the webmaster, he already knows that the site offers premium memberships. And what I like about it has been changed! So don't be expecting any more money out of me :(All you seem to care about is vbetting. There was a time when this board had no vbetting, and gasp, we had to talk about tennis. And even though I myself cannot see the ads, it bothers me that some long time and valuable posters here are so frustrated that they are thinking of leaving, I think that's a far more important problem than the fact that your vcash has changed. Sorry.
Oh BTW posters since I have paid I don't see any of the green links you are talking about. I had to just come to the site as a person just reading the site without any membership to see what you were talking about.Yes, the point of paying is to not have ads. Duh.

Fee
08-23-2006, 07:10 AM
... I had to just come to the site as a person...

What were you coming here as before? A gelatinous mass?

08-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Thank all of you for proving my point if your opinion isn't agreed with you get all upset! My heart bleeds! And the reason I upgraded MY membership was so I could make more vCash on my posts! And if all of you just want a place to "chat about tennis" form a chat group!

Tommy_Babyboy
08-23-2006, 11:04 AM
The forum is noticeably slower since yesterday.
=======
Me too (LAN)

I have all kinds of protective software on my computer, there is no way I'm going to click on any of those links
==============
Agree. Im tired of cleaning spywares...

Steve
08-23-2006, 01:29 PM
No sense in arguing amongst each other over this.
I will be working on this for most of the day. Again, this is a trial attempt to get some money back after purchasing the new servers. If it doesnt work and/or it crashes browsers etc. its gone.

In regards to the supreme membership ideas I am talking about enhancing it. Offering more perks. Some you may use and some you will not. I am just letting you know that the capability of enhancing the membership is there and can be implemented in due time.
The green ad's where not done offer perks, they where purschased to allow for growth of the site.
Now that we have them we may as well use them. They are some pretty serious machines and we are still tweaking them to optimize the speed. They also may seem slow at times as we do preventative maintenance on them.

Steve
08-23-2006, 01:35 PM
I wanted to post this story up for you all to read. As a Subaru owner I frequent this site and ran across this story a few months back. Every forum Admin with a growing site experiences what these people have gone through with constantly needing to upgrade and the costs involved in hardware and monthly hosting fees etc etc.

NASIOC History

The beginnings of the club were started in April of 1999 by Alex Shikhmuradov and Robert Eldridge-Waks. At that time, Alex had been running a personal website called "Imprezer's Lair" that contained visual documentation of modifications for the Impreza 2.5RS. Robert had designed a separate website that contained a products database, that listed many of the performance parts available for the Impreza 2.5RS at the time, and a dealership reviews section, aimed at providing future Impreza buyers with reviews of Subaru dealerships and service departments throughout North America. These two websites formed the basis for the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, or NASIOC for short. The online club quickly became the most popular site in North America dedicated to the Impreza due to the strength of its message board; the board was visited not only by North American members and vendors, but also by many vendors and Impreza enthusiasts from around the globe.

As traffic to the site became too heavy for the current server to handle, Alex and Robert started to look for a new and stable home for the "i-club" website. Enter Nick Catalfamo, Impreza enthusiast, server operator and Cold Fusion programming wiz. Nick offered to host the site and provide help to both of the original "i-club" creators. Besides heavy traffic, another problem became apparent. Although members of the club could engage freely in discussion with one another, they had nowhere to "document" their membership. With skill and patience, Nick was able to design an excellent Members Database that allowed members to post pictures of their cars, as well as list modifications done to them. As of September 2000, there were nearly 200 members of the club, as well as 2500 registered message board users. Thus, with three people on the creative team, the club was growing very rapidly.

As word spread about the club, many regional clubs were formed such as NESIC (New England Subaru Impreza Club), BAIC (Bay Area Impreza Club) and the HIIC (Hawaiian Islands Impreza Club) to name a few. North American Subaru Legacy, Forester and SVX owners were also joining the ranks along with Impreza enthusiasts as members. With this steadily increasing amount of people constantly uploading and reloading the club website, Nick's server was no longer capable of handling the more than 2 gigabytes of traffic per day. The creators turned to the loyal members and asked them to donate funds towards the purchase of a new, more powerful server. Within a few months, roughly $3000.00 was collected and the new home for the club was purchased. This marked a new stage of expansion for the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club.

With the introduction of the Subaru Impreza WRX to the North American marketplace in early 2001 the club saw a tremendous increase in membership and traffic to the website. With over 10,000 registered users by January of 2001, the new server was beginning to struggle to keep up with the clubs explosive growth. Juggling the costs associated with keeping the site up and running while upgrading the hardware was becoming increasingly difficult and the decision was made to begin to sell vendor access and advertising on the on the website to not only keep it operating, but to help it grow as well. By doing this the club was able to purchase several additional servers and double the connection speed of the sites connection to the internet. This was a huge step forward for the accessibility and the future of the club.

By July of 2002 the site had over 20,000 Subaru enthusiasts registered as members and participating in the forums. The site had become a huge asset to not only the enthusiasts that visited it daily, but to the vendors, who were able to market their products directly to their customers, and Subaru of America as it sought feedback from those that owned Subaru cars.

November 2002 brought some unexpected changes to the club. Alex decided to separate from the club in order to start another Subaru enthusiast website of his own. Nick, with the support of the club membership, vowed to keep the current site alive and growing well into the future. The decision was made to change the domain name of the club to www.nasioc.com as a minor restructuring was done to better cater to the clubs members, beginning yet another stage of growth for the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club.

etc etc etc etc

Fee
08-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Thank all of you for proving my point if your opinion isn't agreed with you get all upset! My heart bleeds! And the reason I upgraded MY membership was so I could make more vCash on my posts! And if all of you just want a place to "chat about tennis" form a chat group!

No one's upset because they don't agree with you, they are just stating that they don't agree with you.

You do realize that vCash isn't real money and you can't actually do anything with it except make bets here at MTF and even then its still fake money and you CAN"T BUY ANYTHING WITH IT!?

We don't need to form a tennis chat group, someone already thought of that and created MENS TENNIS FORUMS, a place where, oddly enough, people talk about MENS TENNIS. Does it make sense to you now Mae?

Steve, I appreciate that you are working on it, but even getting to this area to check for an update was a chore (and I don't even want to tell you what that article you posted looks like). Those green links aren't going to make you any money if everyone is suspicious of them and refuses to click on them. Please reconsider this. Thanks.

tangerine_dream
08-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Wow. Ad links inserted into people's signatures without the sig owner's permission? That is just the lamest of the lame. :o

This is the first time I ever seen highlighted green links (Kontera(?)) on messageboards. Perhaps if we got rid of all of the Federer fans would that make the server run better? :)

08-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Let the Admin. take away from this site everything, but "tennis chat" and they won't have to worry about server problems because the membership will drop. Posters have already said they don't agree with me, so why keep saying it? And why everytime I bring up vCash does someone tell me it isn't "real money"? Of course, it isn't "real money"! It provides me the means to do one of the things I like to do on MTF which is vBet. And there are other posters that like to vBet also. I'm far from the only person that places vBets here. And I checked before I logged in and I didn't notice any green links. If more people would upgrade their membership, maybe the Admin. wouldn't have to look for ways to make money? When I tried to promote upgraded membership there were people that acted like the site didn't need the money and that upgraded membership wasn't important. Well obviously the site does need money. And I have paid my money so I have done my part for this site.

Deboogle!.
08-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Let the Admin. take away from this site everything, but "tennis chat" and they won't have to worry about server problems because the membership will drop. Posters have already said they don't agree with me, so why keep saying it? And why everytime I bring up vCash does someone tell me it isn't "real money"? Of course, it isn't "real money"! It provides me the means to do one of the things I like to do on MTF which is vBet. And there are other posters that like to vBet also. I'm far from the only person that places vBets here. And I checked before I logged in and I didn't notice any green links. If more people would upgrade their membership, maybe the Admin. wouldn't have to look for ways to make money? When I tried to promote upgraded membership there were people that acted like the site didn't need the money and that upgraded membership wasn't important. Well obviously the site does need money. And I have paid my money so I have done my part for this site.
1) this isn't about you, it's about the board as a whole. Are you saying that you are willing to have people who have posted here (way before you, I want to add) who are ready to leave because the site as it is now makes it impossible to browse just so you can vbet? Once again you have completely misunderstood everything people have said. Lots of people like vbetting (though I will never understand your obsession with it.), however, I think that lots MORE people would be willing to give it up if it meant these green things could be gotten rid of and people wouldn't have to LEAVE. since you told those of us who actually want to talk about tennis to leave and start our own forum, if you want to vbet so badly, start your own forum that's just for vbetting :shrug: We're trying to throw out constructive suggestions that might help the board be able to run happily for all, and you keep throwing it in our faces saying we're just disagreeing with you. Get off your high horse about the vbetting and try to see the bigger picture, please.

2) not everyone HAS the money to pay, so consider yourself lucky that you have money laying around to be able to put some to a message board. I think that for people who can't pay for whatever reason, they still should be able to come to MTF and enjoy it. I would not want MTF to turn into an elitist pay-only type of place.

Tommy_Babyboy
08-23-2006, 05:47 PM
I guess It is not quite fair that premium members have vcash privileges.
They earn vcash faster.
So all rest nonpremium should feel infringed...:(

Id like to say else that vbetting is not only one purpose to come here but funny extra interest to surf the forum.
Like blogs...
I miss vbetting..two days..
:rolleyes:

Neely
08-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Judging the immense load of traffic this forum causes and thus requiring new hardware I can only understand that those behind the scenes who have to pay the bill for the monthly traffic and this purchase try to get that money back now. At least temporarily for now, as Steve said. However, I don't think it is right that these green links lead to strange things, tracking cookies or whatever some told us (while assuming this, I should note hereby that I did not check myself, but I only rely and trust upon people who reported that... so is that true?). In times of online security being really important, that would be a true weakness for me and it is for those you might get affected by this.

One other question: how many "green links" do you see on this page? I logged out and viewed this page and a few previous ones as a guest and I only saw two or three of such links on each page (15 posts per page setup). If you go with your mouse over this link there comes a small overlay and if you take your mouse away from the link it disappears again. I would say that's bearable, or do others get more links because it depends upon where you are coming from or other setups?

And Fee, I'm quite sure that Mae understands that vCash is only fake money even though she is obviously mad for this feature :lol: I personally have almost no interest in this feature, but I can understand that if somebody is enjoying especially one part/feature of our forum that s/he is unhappy if it doesn't work as you enjoy it. Sure, we are a men's tennis forum, but the forum made lots of changes and added new sections and the clientele of this site grew bigger by installing things such as non-tennis & chat threads (there are people who have 99.99% of their posts only in this section and hardly talk about tennis... so that's okay too) or the gambling forum (which attracted bettors). Some others only post in PAW or other game on the site. I don't like all kind of them (worst being gamblers who are no real tennis fans and then come and complain about an injured player because it lost their bet), but I learnt to respect, bear or deal with pretty much all of them.

Lee
08-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Finally has my first crash of browser when I tried to enter Rainer's thread. It crashed twice before I finally get in and out of the thread intact :p

Lee
08-23-2006, 07:31 PM
OK, I quit after my browser crashed again. :fiery:

Deboogle!.
08-23-2006, 07:33 PM
For those who are having problems, are you using Firefox? I'd strongly recommend it.

El Legenda
08-23-2006, 08:17 PM
:yawn:

Lee
08-23-2006, 08:17 PM
It seems the green link and Illinuera's siggy don't work together for me. I noticed my browser crash whenever he/she has post on the page.

08-23-2006, 08:18 PM
I made a suggestion. Let all people that can upgrade their membership!
And Deb you keep talking about all the "poor" people on MTF, however, I keep reading posts where people write about going to tennis tournaments sometimes even in countries other than their home country! Also going on vacations to places I can't afford to go. Is everyone just making up these stories to try to impress other people? I think there are a lot of people here that have plenty of money. A lot more money than I do. They just don't want to spend it here because they can get what they want for free. But then there is the problem of paying for MTF. We are working toward a membership of 23,000 the last time I looked at the membership count. And how many paying members do we have? That I don't know because it isn't posted anywhere, but it would be interesting to know. Membership for a year is $19.99. That works out to be (rounding it up to the next whole number) $1.67 per month. I'm sure many of our membership could pay that amount without hurting their life style any at all!

08-23-2006, 08:29 PM
It seems the green link and Illinuera's siggy don't work together for me. I noticed my browser crash whenever he/she has post on the page.
Lee Neely is very good at working on signatures and crashes. We have had a number of them in Tommy Haas' Forum. She can find the problem and work it out. But you have already apparently found the problem yourself so it should be easy to correct.

Grinder
08-23-2006, 08:36 PM
I made a suggestion. Let all people that can upgrade their membership!
And Deb you keep talking about all the "poor" people on MTF, however, I keep reading posts where people write about going to tennis tournaments sometimes even in countries other than their home country! Also going on vacations to places I can't afford to go. Is everyone just making up these stories to try to impress other people? I think there are a lot of people here that have plenty of money. A lot more money than I do. They just don't want to spend it here because they can get what they want for free. But then there is the problem of paying for MTF. We are working toward a membership of 23,000 the last time I looked at the membership count. And how many paying members do we have? That I don't know because it isn't posted anywhere, but it would be interesting to know. Membership for a year is $19.99. That works out to be (rounding it up to the next whole number) $1.67 per month. I'm sure many of our membership could pay that amount without hurting their life style any at all!

Of course I can afford to pay for premium without putting a dent in my lifestyle, but last time I checked this was a free message board and there is no obligation to pay. :shrug:

08-23-2006, 08:39 PM
They earn vcash faster.
So all rest nonpremium should feel infringed...:(

Id like to say else that vbetting is not only one purpose to come here but funny extra interest to surf the forum.
Like blogs...
I miss vbetting..two days..
:rolleyes:
Yes before premium members did earn more vCash per post. That was a benefit to get people to upgrade their membership. However, now no one is getting any vCash per post :(

08-23-2006, 08:45 PM
No sense in arguing amongst each other over this.
I will be working on this for most of the day. Again, this is a trial attempt to get some money back after purchasing the new servers. If it doesnt work and/or it crashes browsers etc. its gone.

In regards to the supreme membership ideas I am talking about enhancing it. Offering more perks. Some you may use and some you will not. I am just letting you know that the capability of enhancing the membership is there and can be implemented in due time.
The green ad's where not done offer perks, they where purschased to allow for growth of the site.
Now that we have them we may as well use them. They are some pretty serious machines and we are still tweaking them to optimize the speed. They also may seem slow at times as we do preventative maintenance on them.
Steve lots of luck on your membership ideas, but if you can't get $19.99 per year out of people I don't know what you can do? And as I posted it would be interesting to know how many paying members we have right now.

shotgun
08-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Of course I can afford to pay for premium without putting a dent in my lifestyle, but last time I checked this was a free message board and there is no obligation to pay. :shrug:

Ditto.

Besides, there is a vast amount of non-premium members who contribute with lots of valuable information to the board (e.g. entry lists, live scores, match reports, running games etc.), so I wonder if the quality of the board (regarding info) would stay the same in case it turned into a pay-site.

Action Jackson
08-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Ditto.

Besides, there is a vast amount of non-premium members who contribute with lots of valuable information to the board (e.g. entry lists, live scores, match reports, running games etc.), so I wonder if the quality of the board (regarding info) would stay the same in case it turned into a pay-site.

I doubt it would be any better.

Steve
08-23-2006, 09:36 PM
So maybe there should also be an option to buy your way into the supreme with vcash based on winnings or site support/involvement?

Anyway, Im just thinking out loud. That is a different discussion in a different thread on a different day.

Back to Kontera...

Oh, and I should mention this site will always remain free provided that we can support the costs with advertisers money, not members money. Supreme membership is a seperate entity.

Now back to Kontera :)

El Legenda
08-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Steveo now will there be Premium members and Supreme members? so anytime the forum needs money... new group of paying members will be made up...Premium, Supreme, Gold, Silver...:wavey:

Steve
08-23-2006, 10:43 PM
^^ no no, its me getting confused. there will be only premiums.
I was actually reading up on another forum that offers what they call supremes, there are quite a few options. It is a similar deal there, I just got lost in thought.

Deboogle!.
08-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Ok, back to Kontera. For those whose computers/browsers are freezing because of it, do you have any advice for them that we could pass along, since they can't come to the board anymore?

savesthedizzle
08-24-2006, 01:32 AM
^^ no no, its me getting confused. there will be only premiums.
I was actually reading up on another forum that offers what they call supremes, there are quite a few options. It is a similar deal there, I just got lost in thought.

Is the price of premium membership likely to go up then if there more perks and so many more added costs from running the boards? I doubt anyone would pay more than the current price just to post on a message board.

Fee
08-24-2006, 02:32 AM
Let me try to address a few things, semi-coherently if I may...

1. Steve, the word 'webmaster' under your screenname has just turned into an annoying green link :fiery: And the forum is still slow for me.

2. No, I'm not using Firefox, and for reasons that I won't get into here, I will not be installing Firefox anytime soon. On principle, I don't think I should have to just to protect myself from the decisions of MTF, but that's another issue.

3. As for premium membership, I admit I have been considering it for months, but I keep fudging on it for various reasons. I will not be upgrading now because it feels almost like a shakedown under these circumstances (you want to talk tennis with your friends without the horrible slowdown, pay up!). Also, let's say I do pay for my membership, I'll still be peeved that people I know and like are still being subjected to this BS by an entity that I've just given money to. I just can't bring myself to do that right now.

4. I have no problem with vBetting, I've even placed a few myself, but I don't understand anyone who gets obsessive about it. It's just for fun and it just doesn't seem to be fun if someone is nitpicking about every single penny of it.

Anyway, I want to chat with my friends tonight, I need some happy fun thoughts, so I am going to try to deal with this, but I won't enjoy it...

Regenbogen
08-24-2006, 03:01 AM
Do the green links randomly appear and disappear for anyone? They do for me...right now there aren't any but there probably would be if I refreshed the page. Maybe it's just my computer though.

08-24-2006, 03:49 AM
I don't think anyone said anything about an "obligation to pay". I know I didn't. I just think that people that use and enjoy MTF would want to help out with the costs. If there were enough upgraded members, I doubt that we would be having such a discussion over "green links". Steve said he wants to keep this a "free board". And I understand what he means by this, but lets face it MTF costs money. And this money has to come from somewhere! I've paid my money and I would be willing to pay more money to keep what I like on MTF. However, as always, I don't get the feeling that many other people share my view point on this matter. Nothing is really "free", if you aren't paying someone else is.

Steve
08-24-2006, 01:43 PM
I mentioned before that we are working on getting the green links out of peoples personal info and limit them to the posts only.
Currently there is no intention to raise membership fees.

Although many people frequent WTA, I will post here what I posted there regarding browsers crashing and other minor glitches.

I was able to narrow it down to certain firewalls. It is no a browser issue, pc, or Mac issue.

Trial is 30 days

Info on how to block the ads are no secret outside of this board, I would just prefer that it is not posted in here since it also blocks other ads which generate revenue fot WTA. I kindly ask that if it is not a problem not to use them, if it is then use google. it is very simple to fix.

We are constantlty lookning for advertisers and in a perfect world we would have the perfect ads

adee-gee
08-24-2006, 02:31 PM
The incessant whinging on this board gives me a headache :(

Deboogle!.
08-24-2006, 08:27 PM
so Premium Members have google ads on the tops of the pages now???

El Legenda
08-24-2006, 08:51 PM
i just noticed the google ad's on top :mad: :armed:

Steve
08-24-2006, 10:21 PM

No, they shouldnt be. They will be gone shortly. Google was updated today, we have to take it out of the premium members usergroup.

El Legenda
08-24-2006, 10:28 PM
steve no reason to lock that other thread...if you could see i posted that seconds after you posted...and i was joking :)

Scotso
08-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Is the price of premium membership likely to go up then if there more perks and so many more added costs from running the boards? I doubt anyone would pay more than the current price just to post on a message board.

Are you even going to pay the current price? After all the hassles we've had such as the board slowness problems, losing our vCash perks, and....
as well as other things, what's the point? I don't see why I should pay for "premium membership" when it really seems to be more trouble than it's worth with these constant issues. :shrug:

Scotso
08-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Not quite fair? Why is that? We aren't entitled to any perks just because we pay to use the site while you do not? Uh... okay.

Lee
08-24-2006, 10:46 PM
I mentioned before that we are working on getting the green links out of peoples personal info and limit them to the posts only.

Still waiting :tape:

It really annoys me when 'Mother Teresa' turns green in my siggy. :fiery:

Scotso
08-24-2006, 10:46 PM
And for those attacking Mae, she does have on very valid point. When we signed up for membership, one of the perks was that we would earn vCash faster. That's been pulled away now, and it's understandable that she would be upset about that. It's not a perk that I'm very concerned with, but she is, and why is that wrong? When you pay for something, you expect to get it. :shrug:

Steve
08-25-2006, 12:50 AM
we will work out the premium memberships in due time as well.

Steve
08-25-2006, 12:55 AM
steve no reason to lock that other thread...if you could see i posted that seconds after you posted...and i was joking :)

No worries, I only locked it because I know about it and will get to it. I figured when people saw it they would just understand that it will be fixed and there is no need to dwell on it. Clearly not the case but I guess its something to talk about :)

08-25-2006, 06:53 AM
And for those attacking Mae, she does have on very valid point. When we signed up for membership, one of the perks was that we would earn vCash faster. That's been pulled away now, and it's understandable that she would be upset about that. It's not a perk that I'm very concerned with, but she is, and why is that wrong? When you pay for something, you expect to get it. :shrug:
Scott how nice of you :hug: Thanks for speaking up for me especially since it isn't a perk that you are all that concerned about yourself. It's great that someone here thinks of other people and how they feel about something :worship: I think we could use more of your attitude around here :D

08-25-2006, 07:15 AM
we will work out the premium memberships in due time as well.
Steve I don't mean for this to sound unkind, but MTF needs money. And there are some of us that have already paid money. You are hurting the people now that have already helped MTF with money. And since you have hurt us how can you expect other people to want premium memberships? They see that right now premium membership is getting us very little. Of course, you have us for right now because there are no refunds. But the question is how long can you keep us? "due time' may not be quick enough. Premium memberships expire. MTF has my money now, but would I be a premium member again?
Quite frankly right now I don't think so.

Tommy_Babyboy
08-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Not quite fair? Why is that? We aren't entitled to any perks just because we pay to use the site while you do not? Uh... okay.

Vbetting is a free game for all MTF members. So the rules should be the same for all too. I guess It is quite fair, is not it?
I absolutely do not mind any other premium privilegies (about ads etc) but this.
http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/c032.gif

BTW any plans to get vbetting back again?
http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/e076.gif

Steve
08-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Steve I don't mean for this to sound unkind, but MTF needs money. And there are some of us that have already paid money. You are hurting the people now that have already helped MTF with money. And since you have hurt us how can you expect other people to want premium memberships? They see that right now premium membership is getting us very little. Of course, you have us for right now because there are no refunds. But the question is how long can you keep us? "due time' may not be quick enough. Premium memberships expire. MTF has my money now, but would I be a premium member again?
Quite frankly right now I don't think so.

In due time could be today, 1 week from now, Im not sure but I am going to get it done asap. I just have some catching up to do here and dont want to make promises I cant keep. I am just waiting for a little bit of feedback from people I sent messages to then I will get things rolling. Currently I am working on the google and Kontera.

wtn_amanda
08-25-2006, 02:27 PM
BTW any plans to get vbetting back again?
http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/e076.gif

As I posted in todays announcement it will require other volunteers to get together to run the game. If there's interest, it can easily be kept running, just like other games run by volunteers.

08-25-2006, 05:37 PM
In due time could be today, 1 week from now, Im not sure but I am going to get it done asap. I just have some catching up to do here and dont want to make promises I cant keep. I am just waiting for a little bit of feedback from people I sent messages to then I will get things rolling. Currently I am working on the google and Kontera.
Thank you Steve :)

+alonso
08-26-2006, 05:06 AM
For those who are having problems, are you using Firefox? I'd strongly recommend it.
I use it! Actually, It asks me, If I want to shut the script [Kocera blah] off, but before that, my computer freezes like for 3 secs!

I disabled the Kocera thing in the website, but the green links keep appearing, :shrug: anyway.

LaTenista
08-26-2006, 03:36 PM
BTW Not only are their green links in signatures still, but they are also appearing in reputation now. :tape:

Meeek
08-26-2006, 06:07 PM
I understand the reason why, but it makes MTF extremely slow for me and therefor it does not make it very appealing to come here anymore.

Tommy_Babyboy
08-26-2006, 06:13 PM
I have already used to them and trying to ignore them at all :)

Google ads vex me much more...
:confused:

Steve
08-26-2006, 11:42 PM
I have not yet gotten to taking kontera out of sigs etc.

belco
08-27-2006, 07:20 AM
i dont mind these ads.. the other ads i hated.. when i move the mouse over the smiley face it screams at me HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. now being at the pc 3am in the morning listening to some soft music and the song ends and i forget to put a new one on and move over smiley... totally shit myself sometimes :lol:

Yappa
08-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Yep, still slowing down the scrolling and typing for me. After loading a thread I have to wait for a few secs until I can start scrolling normally due to the green links reloading.

wolviebabe
08-29-2006, 01:11 AM
4. The issue with Kontera crashing browsers is odd. I will look into it some more however if you are running old browser versions it may be time to upgrade anyway since you will eventually have problems on other sites as well. Upgrades are free
I spent most of my day today on a pc and a mac testing different browser versions and gradually upgrading. I was posting, surfing, everything and unfortunately I have not had it crash on me.

I'm not running an old browser version and if I don't leave the thread to load in its entirety, it crashes EVERY SINGLE TIME.

You know, I wouldn't care for the green links that much if that wouldn't crash my browser 90% of the time I spend on this board. And that is absolutely annoying.

It slows the scrolling, the typing, sometimes it gives you hints that it's going to crash, and there it goes. I have to close all my windows because of that.
I mean, this is getting f***ing annoying.

Sorry, must vent.

Lee
08-29-2006, 04:43 AM
My browser crashes about 6-7 times today :shrug:

08-29-2006, 05:02 AM
My browser crashes about 6-7 times today :shrug:
You know Lee if I had the money and knew how I could do it. I would buy upgraded memberships for everyone on the Forum. But I'm sorry I don't have anywhere near that much money. I just feel so bad when people like yourself are upset and there is nothing I can do about it :sad: If I start ranting about the fact that there is still no vBetting, no vCash for posts, etc. would it take your mind off the green links :tape: :ignore: Because sadly I don't know anything else to do about the situation :sobbing:

Steve
08-29-2006, 08:57 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=84719

For Kontera update see above link