Richard's consistency [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Richard's consistency

Allure
08-14-2006, 08:53 PM
I love Richard because of his amazing shotmaking but even i have to admit he's very inconsistent. In yesterday's final against Roger, he played great the first set but lost the last two. In other tournaments, he could play very good then later lose to a player who is low ranking and who he should be able to beat easily. Mcenroe says it's because of his ''maturity'' and I understand that since he's only 20 and still has a lot to learn. So in your opinion, when will he get it together?

simpletennis
08-14-2006, 10:47 PM
he's already a lot more mature than he was last year, and def. in 2004. he's not throwing racquets anymore, and like you said, he is only 20, so i'm saying nxt year, he'll get as mature as...

delsa
08-15-2006, 07:37 PM
What consistency? :tape:

lucashg
08-15-2006, 09:40 PM
What consistency? :tape:

:lol: There's hardly any consistency. He's not having huge ups and downs during a match which shows he's getting some, but he has to be consistent performance-wise as well, he does well one week then fails miserably to impress in the next one.

He won Nottingham, didn't even fight in Wimbledon, won Gstaad, was pathetic in Stuttgart, runner-up in Toronto, and right now he's losing to Robredo. I still think he can win, but won't be surprised if he loses. I don't know if he's okay with it, thinking he already did well enough the week before so he relaxes too much and goes to lalaland when he shouldn't, but it's definitely something to work on. I know he's facing a worthy opponent (and has faced in tournaments where he's done poorly), but it's definitely a possible match for him to win and then advance a few more rounds.

silverwhite
08-15-2006, 11:55 PM
:lol: There's hardly any consistency. He's not having huge ups and downs during a match which shows he's getting some, but he has to be consistent performance-wise as well, he does well one week then fails miserably to impress in the next one.

He won Nottingham, didn't even fight in Wimbledon, won Gstaad, was pathetic in Stuttgart, runner-up in Toronto, and right now he's losing to Robredo. I still think he can win, but won't be surprised if he loses. I don't know if he's okay with it, thinking he already did well enough the week before so he relaxes too much and goes to lalaland when he shouldn't, but it's definitely something to work on. I know he's facing a worthy opponent (and has faced in tournaments where he's done poorly), but it's definitely a possible match for him to win and then advance a few more rounds.

Well, I don't really think it's inconsistency. He has always been known to be a little unfit so it's not like a miracle's going to happen overnight. :p

delsa
08-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Well, at least he's consistently inconsistent.

And as Silverwhite often tries to show it, there seem to have some kind of "order" in his inconsistency. LOL!

Allure
08-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Well, I don't really think it's inconsistency. He has always been known to be a little unfit so it's not like a miracle's going to happen overnight. :p

Unfit as in physically? *cough*alittlestocky*cough* :confused:

silverwhite
08-16-2006, 02:16 AM
I was referring to his stamina. He used to retire from matches often when he was younger. I think also that his exploits in Toronto took a lot out of him mentally...