Judy Murray's thoughts [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Judy Murray's thoughts

R.Federer
08-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Murray knuckles down

By Judy Murray
Former Scotland coach and Andy's mother

I've still got the text locked in my phone that says: "I did it mum."

I received it last October just after Andy's win over Robin Soldering in Bangkok that gave him enough points to break into the world's top 100.

He had said that that he wanted to break that barrier at the start of 2005 when he was ranked at about 500.

I think at the time a lot of people thought, 'who does he think he is, he's never going to get that far'.

His next target was the top 50 which he made after he won the ATP title in San Jose and now, ranked just outside the top 20, he'll be seeded for the US Open.

It's been his goal to get into the top 10 since he was 12 or 13 years old. He's always firmly believed that he could get there.

That's one of his strengths: his belief in himself and his determination to do it.

Now he's got to produce these high-level performances pretty much week-in, week-out for maybe 25 weeks of the year to stay up there.

It's still only eight months since he played his first big final in Bangkok and he's still got a long way to go.

But it's working out really well with Brad Gilbert and Andy knows he's still got a lot of things to improve.

That's really exciting; that he's got this far and he can still do some things a lot better.

It's early days with Brad, they've just been taking their time to get to know each other so far.

The thing they've been concentrating on is specific tactics against the next opponent, whoever that may be.

It needed somebody with that kind of experience for Andy to really listen and knuckle down
Judy Murray on Brad Gilbert

Brad's been commentating for the last couple of years on major events for ESPN, so he's got a really good knowledge of the players.

And of course his strength is in the psychology of winning, finding yourself a way to win whatever the circumstances.

He was one of the coaches that Andy picked out as being someone he would like to work with, but we never thought we would really be in a position to make it happen.

So it was really great that the LTA came in and helped out with that.

It needed somebody with that kind of experience for Andy to really listen and knuckle down. Someone to say: "This is what you do," and go off and do it.

Brad has been getting Andy up earlier than he normally does. Andy's a typical teenager, he likes his sleep but he has been making an effort. I'd say that 6am is a bit ambitious though!

The only thing they've disagreed on is their taste in music - Brad can't stand rap.

Plus, Brad's been making him put his hand in pickle juice to harden up the skin and stop him from getting blisters.

It sounds disgusting and a bit painful but he said it wasn't so much that, but your hands really stink afterwards.

Brad will stay with Andy while he is in the States and throughout the indoor season but then Andy will be into a real training block over the winter.

It will be interesting to see how far he can go in the next two or three years.

As long as Andy keeps working hard then there's no reason why he can't fulfil what he wants to fulfil.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/tennis/4790527.stm

MurrayFan1
08-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Haha nice. I couldn't for the life of me remember his mum's name last night.