The 2004 DC Thread is Now Retired [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The 2004 DC Thread is Now Retired

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Deboogle!.
02-03-2004, 12:44 AM
News is starting to come in.... so I figured I'd start a thread for it where we can put news and pics!
-----

U.S. vs. AUSTRIA
Tennis-x.com

Site: Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, Connecticut, USA
Surface: Hard indoors (Premier)
Ball Type: Wilson US Open Tournament Select

Not even the return of former No. 1 Thomas Muster would help the Austrians in this one. Last year's No. 1 Andy Roddick and Davis Cup rookie Robby Ginepri lead the singles effort for the Americans, while last year's No. 1 doubles team in twins Bob and Mike Bryan will be tough to beat, coming off a runner-up effort to Frenchmen Michael Llodra/Fabrice Santoro at the Australian Open.

"Robby has stepped up his game to the next level," U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe said. "He's had very consistent results. He had a very good tournament (at the Australian Open). His ranking is continuing to improve, and I felt like this was an excellent opportunity for him."

Ginepri's debut reinforced Pat Mac's lack of confidence in James Blake, who lost the No. 2 singles spot after his rank ing took a nosedive in 2003. Taylor Dent took himself out of the running after getting pasted by Roddick in Melbourne, with the oft-injured serve-and-volleyer suffering from a hip problem.

Austria features the underpowered singles squad of Stefan "Tony" Koubek and Jurgen "Tuna" Melzer, both ranked well outside the Top 50 on the ATP Rankings. Julian Knowle and Alexander Peya have also been named to the Austrian team, and some combination from the four will be offered up to the Bryan brothers in the Saturday doubles. The only hope the Austrians have is catching the U.S. squad looking too far ahead to their potential second round match with the defending champion Australians.

Deboogle!.
02-03-2004, 12:44 AM
And Mal's brilliant take on things:
------
It's about heart as much as skill
By MaliVai Washington
Special to ESPN.com

MELBOURNE, Australia -- The United States hasn't won the Davis Cup since 1995. That was an era when Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi and Jim Courier were leading the team. Today's a new era, and it's time for a new generation of Americans to win the Davis Cup.

For the next decade, the U.S. Davis Cup team will be lead by Andy Roddick. And it's possible the Bryan brothers will be the Davis Cup doubles team for the next decade. That fourth spot on the team will be determined round-by-round, but James Blake, Robby Ginepri and Mardy Fish will most likely be rounding out that team.

It's good they are starting off playing 2004 at home in Uncasville, Conn., this weekend (ESPN2, 3 p.m. ET, Fri.). If they happen to win this first round, thye could be traveling to face the defending champions, Australia, which would be a difficult task. Davis Cup is more than just X's and O's. Who is favored and who is not. It's more about who can come together as a team and produce great tennis in a three-day span. The United States has struggled with that concept since 1996, but it now has everything it takes to win the Davis Cup.

To win the Davis Cup, you don't need the best players in the world; you need players who are able to rise to the occasion at the right time. Not too long ago, France won the Davis Cup with Arnaud Boetsch winning the fifth and final match. That year, tells us that it's more than just whom you have on your team; it's more about the character of the players on your team.

In any given year, any one of the 16 teams can win the Davis Cup. Unfortunately, it's not an event that the public embraces. But the players embrace Davis Cup dearly.

Sjengster
02-03-2004, 12:51 AM
I thought Bavaria was in Germany, not Austria?

Deboogle!.
02-03-2004, 12:54 AM
it is... but I've heard Austrian things referred to as Bavarian too, because they're close.

Plus it's only a joke anyway ;)

Sjengster
02-03-2004, 01:13 AM
it is... but I've heard Austrian things referred to as Bavarian too, because they're close.

Plus it's only a joke anyway ;)

Yes, I gathered that, but it's good to be precise.

star
02-03-2004, 01:29 AM
Maybe we can come up with something allierative that is Austrian. :)

I mean........ it's a whole different country.

But, on the otherhand, it does carry on the tradition of the U.S. playing the anthem of another country at their tie with the Czech Republic. :D

star
02-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Maybe Osterizing the Österieichers...

Oh....... I'm just too corny for words. :D

Deboogle!.
02-03-2004, 01:34 AM
I did a search with Bavaria and Austria, just a random search, and a lot of the results were Austrian products being described as Bavarian. I've always heard Bavarian used in two ways - a definite geographical, and also a cultural description.

But egads, I don't feel like getting into arguments about it so I will just change the title :o

tangerine_dream
02-03-2004, 01:41 AM
Ask Naldo or Mister Man :banana: They're good with thread titles!

And Sjengster, quit being a wet blanket! :p Why are you even here if you don't like A-Rod? :confused:

star
02-03-2004, 01:49 AM
It's ok. If Sjengester hadn't wet his pants, I would have wet mine. ;)

star
02-03-2004, 01:54 AM
I did a search with Bavaria and Austria, just a random search, and a lot of the results were Austrian products being described as Bavarian. I've always heard Bavarian used in two ways - a definite geographical, and also a cultural description.

But egads, I don't feel like getting into arguments about it so I will just change the title :o

I guess Bayer Asprins are sold everywhere. ;)

Deboogle!.
02-03-2004, 02:05 AM
I guess Bayer Asprins are sold everywhere. ;)

I don't think I get this one :confused:

star
02-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Bayer = Bavarian

:)

It's sort of like maybe people in New York (just to pick a random place ;)) think there isn't any difference between Oklahoma and Texas, but Oklahomans and Texans are intensely aware of their differences.

I think both Bavarians and Austrians might be insulted to be thought pretty much the same even culturally speaking.

Sjengster
02-03-2004, 02:12 AM
Please people, any inference of pants-wetting must cease forthwith. I did try to put a winking smiley next to my last post, but the stupid thing didn't work properly. Besides tangerine, to paraphrase Voltaire (again), I may not agree with what you say, but I defend to the death my right to come in here and say something different.

star
02-03-2004, 02:13 AM
Please people, any inference of pants-wetting must cease forthwith. I did try to put a winking smiley next to my last post, but the stupid thing didn't work properly. Besides tangerine, to paraphrase Voltaire (again), I may not agree with what you say, but I defend to the death my right to come in here and say something different.

Well the smilie thingy probably shorted out because of the wet pants. :p

Deboogle!.
02-03-2004, 02:23 AM
Bayer = Bavarian

:)

It's sort of like maybe people in New York (just to pick a random place ;)) think there isn't any difference between Oklahoma and Texas, but Oklahomans and Texans are intensely aware of their differences.

I think both Bavarians and Austrians might be insulted to be thought pretty much the same even culturally speaking.

Oh.

sorry. *sigh*

star
02-03-2004, 02:32 AM
Oh.

sorry. *sigh*

:hug: :smooch:

I can't bear to see Bunkie-boo sad.

Deboogle!.
02-03-2004, 02:34 AM
:hug: :smooch:

I can't bear to see Bunkie-boo sad.

lol I'm not sad.. I was just trying to be witty and failed miserably :o

star
02-03-2004, 02:36 AM
I thought you were sad about that.

tangerine_dream
02-03-2004, 02:42 AM
star! :haha:

Deboogle!.
02-03-2004, 02:46 AM
I thought you were sad about that.

lol it takes a little more than that to make me sad ;)

MisterQ
02-03-2004, 02:47 AM
How about:

The Yanks take on the Wieners!

Havok
02-03-2004, 03:06 AM
where is it being played? city and state im at a loss here about the thread title

tangerine_dream
02-03-2004, 03:10 AM
US vs Austria at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut, Naldo! ESPN coverage starts this Friday. I'll be going to watch LIVE! :banana:

star
02-03-2004, 03:12 AM
How about:

The Yanks take on the Wieners!

Roasted Wieners

;)

Havok
02-03-2004, 03:39 AM
US vs Austria at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut, Naldo! ESPN coverage starts this Friday. I'll be going to watch LIVE! :banana:
I don't have ESPN:sad: don't mind me while i cry in the corner :sad:
heck we're not even getting freakin canadian davis cup action:rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
02-03-2004, 04:29 AM
OK I've combined suggestions. Hopefully this one is acceptable

Naldo I'll be making highlights clips for the site, so at least you'll get to see a lil bit :)

star
02-03-2004, 05:16 AM
OK I've combined suggestions. Hopefully this one is acceptable

Naldo I'll be making highlights clips for the site, so at least you'll get to see a lil bit :)

It's A-OK with me. Didja run it by Sjengster?

J. Corwin
02-03-2004, 11:40 AM
I love the title!

tangerine_dream
02-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Great title guys! :yeah:

Deboogle!.
02-03-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm glad this one's more acceptable :)

MisterQ
02-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Bunk, you Wiener, you spelled Wiener wrong!!! :lol: ;) :hug:

star
02-03-2004, 05:30 PM
:lol: I didn't even catch that.

Mr. Man
02-03-2004, 05:57 PM
:banana:

Deboogle!.
02-03-2004, 06:46 PM
haha oops typo fixed

J. Corwin
02-03-2004, 10:49 PM
now that's the proper wiener!

star
02-04-2004, 12:14 AM
YEA for WIENERS!!!!

Deboogle!.
02-04-2004, 12:19 AM
lmgdfao

Havok
02-04-2004, 01:14 AM
wieners :lick:
and no, im not talking about the sexual aspect!

star
02-04-2004, 01:17 AM
That was a surprising smilie.........

:lol:

Deboogle!.
02-04-2004, 02:08 AM
Well luckily there's real DC news to discuss :) The team is in Uncasville (and btw, the USTA site really sucks monkey balls)!
----
Feb. 5 -- 12 PM, Draw Ceremony
Feb. 6 -- 2:30 PM, Two Singles Matches
Feb. 7 -- 11:30 AM, Doubles Match
Feb. 8 -- 12:30 PM, Two Singles Matches

Andy's site has a part of the press conference up but ASAP will post the whole thing tomorrow and I'd rather have that than excerpts.... but as a preview.... some classic Andy.
----

what about the food? Is it easier to eat here?

Andy Roddick: That is a great question. Yes.

Patrick McEnroe: Much easier.

Andy - give us examples of some of the stuff you've had to eat.

Andy Roddick: Last year in Slovakia you look at the room service menu and it was like Hacklavacka ( :haha: ) -- I didn't know it was a turkey sandwich! But here you pick up a menu and it says a bacon and cheese omlet, you get all fired up because you actually know what you are getting.

Havok
02-04-2004, 02:16 AM
That was a surprising smilie.........

:lol:
i know, 'tis why i used it:lol:
OMFG DEATH:haha: man this guy can't go through an interview or something without saying a joke:lol:

Deboogle!.
02-04-2004, 02:22 AM
what's sad is I can hear him saying it in my head and it makes me laugh out loud lol

tangerine_dream
02-04-2004, 03:30 AM
I think it's funny how Andy seems so obsessed with food. :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-04-2004, 03:38 AM
seems obsessed???? I don't think there's any seems about it tangy LOL

so how those hotel reservations coming ;)

star
02-04-2004, 03:53 AM
You know, for the next DC tie, you guys should try to get credentials for RO.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2004, 03:57 AM
hahahaha in Australia? hmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll go ;)

tangerine_dream
02-04-2004, 04:20 AM
One more day to go! I'm so excited! You guys, I still need to make a sign! Help!!! :banana:

February 4, 2004

U.S. Upbeat for Its Series With Austria
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NCASVILLE, Conn., Feb. 3 (AP) — The United States Davis Cup team has every reason to be encouraged this weekend against Austria. Since 1900, the Americans are 27-0 in first-round matches that start at home.

Andy Roddick, the United States Open champion, will anchor Captain Patrick McEnroe's squad, which will also have the top doubles team of the twins Mike and Bob Bryan.

Roddick, who reached the Australian quarterfinals, and Robby Ginepri were picked Tuesday to play singles, with Mardy Fish as the backup.

Ginepri earned a chance to play Davis Cup singles for the first time by reaching the fourth round at Melbourne, his best showing at a Grand Slam tournament. "It's always been one of my dreams," Ginepri said.

At 25, the Bryans are the team's oldest members. "In doubles, you usually don't play for big crowds," Mike Bryan said. "You usually never play on TV. So for us, playing doubles in the Davis Cup is as big as it gets."

The United States has won a record 31 Davis Cup titles, but none since 1995.

"We're going to be very tough to beat, no matter who we play," McEnroe said. "At home, we're certainly a big favorite, but we still know what we have to do. To win the whole thing, you've got to be able to win on the road at times."

The winner will advance to the quarterfinals in April against the winner of Sweden-Australia. The Australians are the defending champions.

Last year, the Americans were knocked out in the first round at Croatia and needed to beat Slovakia in September to avoid relegation to the second tier. The Austrians are looking for their first Davis Cup title.

Roddick, ranked third in the world, welcomed the switch from tournament play to the Davis Cup, which opens Friday.

"This is a couple weeks a year where we're not playing individuals," he said. "We're all good friends, and it's cool just to be together and work together toward a common goal."

Most of the American and Austrian players had just returned from the Australian Open. Their first order of business was getting used to the time difference.

The Austrian players are Stefan Koubek, Jurgen Melzer, Julian Knowle and Alexander Peya. They are all younger than 30.

Koubek, ranked No. 94, has won three singles titles on the ATP Tour and was a quarterfinalist at the 2002 Australian Open. Melzer, who made the third round of the Australian Open, is ranked 76th, and Peya is 143th. Knowle is ranked 38th in doubles.

"These are tough guys," McEnroe said. "Guys like this always play a lot better when they play for their country. We certainly know that these guys are capable of having big matches."

The rest of the first-round schedule has Russia at Belarus, Argentina at Morocco, Switzerland at Romania, Croatia at France, Canada at the Netherlands and Spain at the Czech Republic.

star
02-04-2004, 04:50 AM
hahahaha in Australia? hmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll go ;)

Or don't.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2004, 04:58 AM
awww I'd love to go to Australia. it's near the top of my "have to do before I die" list!

Tangy... you're the funniest person here, if you can't think of a sign no one else will be able to LOL!!!!!!

star
02-04-2004, 02:29 PM
It's still a great opportunity to get credentials for ties HELD WITHIN THE UNITED STATES

Deboogle!.
02-04-2004, 03:38 PM
hahaha maybe :) If Australia happens to lose to Sweden (which I know would break your heart star), it'll be here.

Anyway... some more news from CT newspapers:
-----

Tennis takes over Sun
U.S. team to play Austria in Davis Cup match.

By JAMES WALKER
Norwich Bulletin

MOHEGAN -- Coming from the other side of the Atlantic Ocean to Franklin Street in Norwich, members of the media descended on the Mohegan Sun Arena Tuesday as preparations got under way for the 2004 Davis Cup.

The United States will play Austria beginning this Friday in the first Davis Cup match in Connecticut since 1987 when it was held at the Hartford Civic Center. From the Washington Post to ESPN, all eyes will be on 21-year-old Andy Roddick, the former number one player in the world and the best American player at the cup.

"There's nothing quite like playing for your country," Roddick said.

The United States Tennis Association has issued more than 175 media credentials to members of the press for the three-day event.

Randy Walker, senior communications manager for the USTA, said an average of 6,000 tennis fans are expected.

"This could be the largest first-round crowd to watch a game," he said. "The Davis Cup is very popular globally and doesn't come around that much."

Michael Fiure, producer of the Super Bowl pre-game show, is producing the entertainment.

The event is expected to bring an estimated $2.5 in revenue during the time it's in town. Most of that money will go to hotels and restaurants, said Jeff Ryan, director of USA team events for the USTA.

"It's quite a few rooms. There are people staying at the Mystic Marriott and Best Western near Mohegan," he said. "It's about 150-175 rooms with people."

While the players were on the newly constructed court practicing their backhands and serves, the media was put through rigorous security proceedings. Personnel checked reporters identification, pictures were snapped and new media credentials were issued before local media was allowed into a restricted area where a line of Mohegan Sun employees waited.

Wearing bright yellow shirts and black pants, the employees created a human yellow brick road that led to a press room where reporters unloaded cameras and video equipment onto chairs and tables that were set up with telephones and media kits.

Outside the room in the arena dock area, a crew of carpenters were busy building expanded media sections where the press will spend the weekend eating and writing.

"We're making the best use of the limited space we have," said Frank Pavlich, event production supervisor.

Roddick, wearing the brim of his cap pulled low, led the American team into the news conference where they answered questions between sips of Dasani bottled water and joked with one another.

"We're all good friends," he said. "It's something we all looked forward to."

Patrick McEnroe said his team of Roddick, Robby Ginepri, Bob and Mike Bryan and Mardy Fish has a great chance to win it this year. But he also cautioned not to underestimate the Austrians.

"Guys like this play tougher when they play for their country," he said.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2004, 03:39 PM
U.S. feels it'll be an easy weekend
By MIKE PADIAN
Norwich Bulletin

MOHEGAN -- The United States Davis Cup team shouldn't get much in the way of a challenge from Austria in its World Group first-round match this weekend at the Mohegan Sun Arena and Tuesday's press conferences did little to change that notion.

The U.S. team, led by World No. 3 Andy Roddick, was loose and relaxed, joking around on the podium, while the Austrian team was literally and figuratively burning under the glare of the spotlight.

Austrian captain Gunter Bresnik first asked to have the lights turned off or at least down and later he characterized his team as one that had no more chance of emerging victorious this weekend than a snowball in a really hot place.

"The Americans are highly-favored and for good reason," Bresnik said simply.

Both teams practiced for the first time on the hardcourt surface at the Mohegan Sun Tuesday and met briefly with a cozy gathering of mostly local media. The media throng is expected to balloon to as much as 200 -- the largest assemblage ever for a first-round match -- by the time Friday's singles matches begin.

The pairings for those matches will be determined in a draw Thursday at noon.

The only certainty at this point is that Roddick and Robby Ginepri will play singles for the Americans and twin brothers Mike and Bob Bryan will play doubles. Bresnik wouldn't tip his hand in regards to which of the four Austrians he brought with him -- Stefan Koubek, Jurgen Melzer, Julian Knowle and Alexander Peya -- would be playing singles and which would be playing doubles.

It was just another example of the conservative approach of the Austrians that ran in direct contrast to the loosey-goosey demeanor of the Americans, who looked and acted like five teenaged brothers.

Captain Patrick McEnroe sat in the middle, flanked by the Bryan brothers to his left and Roddick, Ginepri and Mardy Fish to his right.

Fish isn't going to be playing this weekend and he seemed to be content in his role as court jester, making several mostly inaudible comments from his position away from the microphone that, at least to Ginepri and Roddick, apparently passed the humor bar.

Ginepri, the one Davis Cup rookie in the group, found himself in the crosshairs more than the rest. And most of the ribbing had to do with his penchant for felt tables.

"I think Robby's going to lose all of his money this week," Roddick said.

Ginepri didn't have any trouble finding the casino in Australia -- it was lobbing distance from the tennis complex at the recently completed Australian Open -- and this week he won't even have to leave the tennis complex to find the casino. The tennis complex is in the casino.

"Australia was a rough trip because the casino was right there, then I found out we were playing here and ..." Here Ginepri was interrupted by Roddick, who finished the thought:

"Robby's the first guy to get to the fourth round (of the Australian Open) and leave with less money than he came with."

Then it was on to the true home court advantage the Americans are enjoying this weekend.

"Well, last year in Slovakia, you look at the room service menu and it's like, 'vlockhoomfugh'," Roddick said. "So when you come here and you see 'bacon and cheese omelet' you're fired up because you actually know what you're getting."

It was like Tuesday afternoon at the improv starring the U.S. Davis Cup team, something that McEnroe embraced.

"These guys, they really do have a lot of fun together and that makes it enjoyable," McEnroe said. "It doesn't make it feel like, 'Oh we've gotta go to Davis Cup.' These guys are pumped up and I think that's a big factor."

And of course there will also be 6,500 or so fans behind them and a hardcourt surface that favors their players, none of whom looked excessively tired or jet-lagged after a week in which they had been in or traveled through just about every time zone around the globe, from Australia to the western United States to eastern Connecticut.

The same could not necessarily be said of the Austrians, who had just enough time at home to get adjusted to the local time (after leaving Australia) only to have to re-adjust once again to the eastern time zone.

The team arrived in the United States last Thursday, however, a full week ahead of the matches and Bresnik was confident that his players would be fine by Friday.

tangerine_dream
02-04-2004, 04:28 PM
CAN I BE ANY MORE EXCITED!?? WHOOOOOOO!!! :banana: :woohoo: :rocker: :bounce: :D

Sjengster
02-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Hmm... now you know I'm not one to complain, but you see that comment from Roddick about the Slovakian menu? That's the sort of thing that will earn him some criticism on MTF, rightly or wrongly.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2004, 04:59 PM
yes, we know that every time he cracks a joke it is subject to criticism and scrutiny by those who don't understand the humor. Can't do anything about it and I would hate it if Andy stopped just to please a few people on a messageboard

tangerine_dream
02-04-2004, 05:27 PM
I don't think Andy gives a rat's ass what the stick-in-the-mud types in MTF think. I thought his comment was funny, as do most people who don't get hyper-sensitive over such trivial things. :banana:

tangerine_dream
02-04-2004, 05:38 PM
WHOOOOO!! I BOOKED MY HOTEL ROOMS, GOT MY TIX, PRINTED OUT MY RODDICK MONTHLY MAG COVER . . . I'M ALL SET FOR DAVIS CUP!!!!!! YEEHAAAA! :woohoo: :rocker: :banana: :bounce:

BTW, here's my sign that I'm pretty sure ESPN won't be showing on TV: "Roddick: Serving Your Ass Since 1999" :devil:

Deboogle!.
02-04-2004, 06:32 PM
LMGDFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tangy, you're amazing!!!

-----

U.S. Davis Cup Future In Hands Of Friends With Shared Past

04 February, 2004 by Debra

Former roommates have reunited as current teammates on the U.S. Davis Cup squad.

By Richard Pagliaro
02/05/2004

Former roommates have reunited as current teammates on the U.S. Davis Cup squad. Andy Roddick, Mardy Fish, Robby Ginepri and the Bryan brothers, twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, grew up playing tennis together and have grown into an accomplished group that launches the United States' quest for its 32nd Davis Cup championship when it hosts Austria at this weekend's opening-round tie at the Mohegan Sun.

Team chemistry is hardly a topic of conversation among players who share a history that dates back to the days when Roddick's laser-like serve looked more like a loopy lob. Transplanted Floridians Roddick and Fish share the practice court together this week and shared a room together for a nearly a year when they were high school students living in Roddick's house in Boca Raton. Reigning U.S. Open champion Roddick has known both the Bryans and Ginepri back in the day when bicycles were their primary means of transportation.

"Actually, I go a pretty fair ways back with all of them," Roddick said at Tuesday's press conference conducted at the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut. "I know the Bryan brothers. They played just a couple of years younger than my brother when they were playing junior tennis. I've known them probably since I was eight years old. And I used to go watch them when they picked Austin Texas to play and then their dad was nice enough to hit with me sometimes. Robby and I were on the same childhood teams same kinda junior national team when we were eleven years old. Mardy was living at my house for a year. It's pretty cool to have a history with everybody here and be able to come together and work towards something."

As the youngest player on the team, the 21-year-old Ginepri will make his Davis Cup debut, but he's already experienced the pointed pressure of Davis Cup play — as a ball boy. His selection to the squad is more than a significant step in his career, it's the realization of a dream.

"It's a very good feeling for me, it's always been one of my dreams," Ginepri said. "I ball-boyed through it when I was a little kid so you know growing up and being on the team is an amazing experience for me I'm looking forward to it."

U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe has selected Roddick and Ginepri as the singles starters with the Bryans ready to reprise their successful doubles debut. The twins fulfilled a long-time family goal with a 6-1, 6-4, 7-6(5) triumph over Karol Beck and Dominik Hrbaty in United States' 3-2 victory over the host Slovak Republic last September. The shared success of doubles victories has been supremely satisfying for the Bryans.

"There's always a familiar face out there. We like playing doubles because we're twins, we both had singles goals too, but our doubles goals are more important to us because we get a little more satisfaction winning doubles matches," Bob Bryan said. "You get to share the win with your brother, you get to go back to your room and talk about it. It just makes it more special, but playing Davis Cup was one of our biggest goals of coming on the tour and we're on our second match, and we're really excited to be here and we're going to be fired up here on Saturday."

The United States is an overwhelming favorite against an Austrian team appearing in the World Group first round for the first time in four years. The last time Austria advanced to a World Group quarterfinal came in 1995 when Thomas Muster and Alex Antonitsch combined to produce all four points in Austria's 4-1 opening-round victor over a Spanish squad led by former French Open champion Sergi Bruguera and Carlos Costa. Sweden swept the Austrians, 5-0, in the ensuing quarterfinal.

This weekend, a pair of lefthanders — 76th-ranked Jurgen Melzer and 94th-ranked Stefan Koubek — are the likely Austrian singles starters set to face the third-ranked Roddick and 25th-ranked Ginepri. Melzer's game is based on his solid serve, while Koubek lacks the power of Roddick or Ginepri, but is a risk-taker from the baseline capable of stringing some surprising shots together.

The first-round tie presents a reunion of sorts for Roddick and Koubek, who reached the doubles final together in Doha at the start of the month and are likely opponents at Mohegan Sun. Roddick has not surrendered a set in his three career victories over Koubek and has never faced Melzer in an ATP match. In his lone meeting with Melzer, Ginepri scored a 6-4, 6-7, 6-1 victory on the grass courts of Newport to capture his first career title. Ginepri and Koubek have never faced each other.

The medium-paced hard court should suit Roddick and Ginepri well. Neither Melzer nor Koubek have been particularly effective in indoor Davis Cup ties: Melzer has compiled a 3-8 indoor record while Koubek is 8-7 indoors, but McEnroe cautioned since Austria is a decided underdog, both players can hit out and play pressure-free tennis.

"Jurgen Melzer is a young guy who just played well in Australia playing the third round there, has a good serve, pretty talented player," McEnroe said. "Koubek is a veteran, a doubles partner of Andy Roddick, getting to the final of Doha, that one week but he's won some big matches for them he's had some big wins on the tour these are tough guys these are legitimate top 70, top 50 players in the world maybe higher for Melzer if he continues to improve. Guys like this always play a lot better when they play for their country I think. And I think as a team we have to be ready for them to play the best they can play and that if we play as well as we can play I think we'll be OK. We certainly know that these guys are capable of having big matches."

In the past, Roddick has risen to the challenge of Davis Cup competition, compiling an 8-3 record overall, including a 5-0 mark indoors. But the man who has reached the final four in three of the four majors concedes he carries a much bigger burden competing for his country compared to playing in Slams.

"Yes, it's absolutely different. There's nothing quite like not only playing for your country, but then looking over and playing for your friends as well," Roddick said. "That's totally different, I think it's a lot easier to play a big match in a Grand Slam then it is to play a big match in Davis Cup and it's still something I'm learning about. The more I get out there, the more chances I get, the better I will get in this situation. So I'm excited to get out there this weekend."

The first round has been the final stop for the U.S. in two of the last three years, but both opening losses — a 4-1 setback to Croatia last year and a 3-2 defeat to a Roger Federer-led Swiss squad in 2001 — came on the road. The U.S. owns one of the best home records in Davis Cup history and has never lost a first round tie played in the United States, compiling a 27-0 record in opening-round home ties (not including challenge rounds) since 1900.

Based on those stats — and the superior success of his players — it's not surprising McEnroe carries confidence into this tie.

"Well I would say that at home we're going to be very tough to beat no matter who we play," McEnroe said. "The key for us is we won a big match last year in Slovakia on the road on clay with Mardy and Andy and the Bryans winning key points for us, so it was a real team effort. But at home we certainly are a big favorite, but we still know what we have to do, so we're going to take each match as it comes. Which is nice, it's nice to have a home match. And hopefully, as I said I'd like to win the whole thing, but you have to be able to win on the road. You can get lucky and get four home matches, but you can't count on that."

Should the United States beat Austria it would advance to the April 9-11th quarterfinals to meet the winner of the opening-round tie between defending champion Australia and Sweden. The U.S. would host Sweden or travel to Australia for the quarterfinals, depending on the outcome of the opening-round tie.

Regardless of where the road leads the Americans, McEnroe is adamant about reaching the final destination — the Davis Cup championship.

"We have our minds set on winning (The Davis Cup) this year," McEnroe said. "We're young still, but we now have a lot of experience, whether it is in Davis Cup or in big matches in tournaments. I don't think we are going to overlook the Austrians. They are all big matches. "

Deboogle!.
02-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Another article :)
------
Andy Roddick Leads U.S. at the Davis Cup
By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Tennis Writer

Andy Roddick tasted Grand Slam success. He was ranked No. 1. No one serves the ball faster.

One gap on his resume? A Davis Cup title, something he and the United States can move closer to by beating Austria in a first-round match in Uncasville, Conn.

"It's a lot easier to play a big match in a Grand Slam than it is to play a big match in Davis Cup. It's still something I'm learning about," the U.S. Open champion said. "The more I get out there, the more chances I get, the better I will get in this situation. So I'm excited to get out there this weekend."

The draw for the best-of-five match is Thursday. There are two singles matches each Friday and Sunday, with doubles Saturday.

Other first-round matchups include defending champion Australia hosting Sweden, and Switzerland — led by Australian Open champion and new No. 1 Roger Federer — at Romania. Also, Spain is at the Czech Republic, Argentina at Morocco, Canada at the Netherlands, Russia at Belarus, and Croatia at France.

Roddick is joined on the U.S. team by Robby Ginepri, who'll be making his Davis Cup debut, and the doubles pairing of twins Bob and Mike Bryan. Mardy Fish is the reserve.

It's a young group: Roddick and Ginepri are 21, Fish is 22, and the Bryans are 25. And it's a talent-rich roster that captain Patrick McEnroe figures can end the U.S. drought.

The United States has won the international competition a record 31 times — but zero since 1995.

"That plays on our mind a lot. All these guys, all of our players, are very committed. And the one thing they have all said to me as we look forward to this year is that we want to win it," said McEnroe, younger brother of his predecessor as captain, John McEnroe.

"We're not satisfied with winning a couple of matches. We want to win the whole thing. And that's the first time I've heard that from them. That's the first time that I really believe that we have a strong chance to win it."

First things first, though.

In 2003, the United States lost in the first round to Croatia and had to beat Slovakia in a playoff just to remain in the top tier of the Davis Cup. A loss to Austria — a country with no Davis Cup titles and no players ranked in the top 50 — would be a real setback.

Roddick is No. 3, while Ginepri is a career-high No. 25 after reaching the fourth round of a major for the first time at the Australian Open. The Bryans lead the doubles rankings.

"This is one of the best teams in the world," Austrian captain Gunter Bresnik said. "I hope it is going to be a tough competition, but we are the underdogs. It is also possible to win as an underdog."

He will count on No. 76 Jurgen Melzer and No. 94 Stefan Koubek in singles. Julian Knowle is ranked 38th in doubles, and he'll probably team with Melzer.

"It's Davis Cup, and anything can happen," Melzer said. "But we will need to be 1-1 after the first day (to) have a chance."

McEnroe likes his team's chances in part because of camaraderie. These players have known each other for most of their lives and they all seem to get along well.

Roddick met the Bryans when he was 8, and Fish lived with Roddick's family for a year during high school. Roddick and Ginepri started playing together a decade ago, and Roddick beat Ginepri in the 2000 U.S. Open junior final.

"There's nothing quite like not only playing for your country, but then looking over and playing for your friends, as well," Roddick said. "To be able to share this experience with guys that we actually get along with, that we're all buddies, it makes it really fun."

There will be a chance to win — and lose — away from the tennis courts this weekend. The U.S. Tennis Association put the matches in the Mohegan Sun casino's arena. Koubek was asked during the Australian Open what he thought of the site.

"I had no idea," he said. "Sounds good, though. At least we can have one week of fun after practice and win some money."

Havok
02-05-2004, 01:50 AM
tangerine, your poster:haha:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2004, 05:24 AM
Andy's in Good Spirits
by: Scot Hirschfield
AndyRoddick.com
2/4/2004 --

Getting Andy on the phone can be challenging some times, but today was different. When my colleague Graham called AROD today, he picked up right away, and was in a particularly chatty mood.

The ping-pong table I spoke of yesterday arrived today, but when I spoke with Andy, he had yet to take over the table. However, he was quick to point that he is "the number one seed," and is quite confident that he will beat up on his teammates.

I was interested in what he had to say about the Mohegan Sun Resort. He said since he arrived Monday afternoon, he has not been outside! Everything is enclosed in this huge complex, and that includes the tennis arena, twelve restaurants, and of course, all the hotel rooms.

All in all, Andy is in a very good mood, and is eager to play in front of the home crowd this weekend. The draw ceremony is being held Thursday at noon, and that will determine the order of play Friday, but what we do know is that Andy will be playing Stefan Koubek, who he reached the finals with in Doha last month.

I believe tickets for all sessions are still available, so for those of you in the Northeast, take a ride up to good old Uncasville, Connecticut and support Andy and the rest of the team! This could be the start of a Davis Cup Dynasty!

J. Corwin
02-05-2004, 10:50 AM
thanks for all these DC articles Deb.

I'm lovin that poster Tangy. :D
I'll be looking for you on TV...;)

Deboogle!.
02-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Yea me too! What will you be wearing LOL!!! (j/k!)

Havok
02-05-2004, 03:52 PM
put that video caption on your clip thing bunk, i would like to see it as well, that is if it's shown:rocker2:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2004, 04:14 PM
haha of course!! :)

Deboogle!.
02-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Here's the draw:

United States vs. Austria
Venue: Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, Conn., USA
Friday
R1 - R. GINEPRI (USA) vs J. MELZER (AUT)
R2 - A. RODDICK (USA) vs S. KOUBEK (AUT)

Saturday
R3 - B. BRYAN / M. BRYAN (USA) vs J. KNOWLE / A. PEYA (AUT)

Sunday
R4 - A. RODDICK (USA) vs J. MELZER (AUT)
R5 - R. GINEPRI (USA) vs S. KOUBEK (AUT)

ESPN better show Andy's match tomorrow :o

Deboogle!.
02-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Team USA press conference (or at least part of it):
------
Team USA Press Conference

(RO Note: We are not sure if this is the complete press conference or not. If something more complete becomes available, we will add it)

Q. How do you feel about leading off and playing Melzer whom you played in the final at Newport last summer?

ROBBY GINEPRI: That's going to be great. Hopefully I will get my team up 1 0 before anything happens with Andy and the Bryan Brothers. Tough match in Newport, but it was on grass. It's going to be a different story tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the job done.

Q. Have you played a lot of lefties before?

ROBBY GINEPRI: There's not too many lefties out there, but

Q. Adjustments for you at all?

ROBBY GINEPRI: Yeah, the serve is a little different to read. Obviously the strokes are flip flopped on each side when you are matching up against the baseline, but it's not too much trouble.

Q. He said his strength is his serve and yours is in your return; is that a fair assessment?

ROBBY GINEPRI: Pretty much he has got a great serve. Hopefully I am going to return it very well and be on it, and get off to a good start tomorrow.

Q. Did you hear prior to the draw and does it matter whether you had first or second match?

ROBBY GINEPRI: Not really. Whatever it is. I won't be waiting around. I am ready to go at 3 o'clock and I think that's good for me and I will be ready.

Q. Now that you have had a couple days of practice, your thoughts about the surface?

ROBBY GINEPRI: It's good. The ball stays fairly low and it's pretty close to most hard courts, there's, you know, it's the same for them as it is for us. So it's going to be a good match.

Q. This surface makes his serve less of a weapon than on the grass?

ROBBY GINEPRI: Definitely. I think everybody's serve is a little better on the grass because it stays low and it slices more, but he's going to be serving well, I am going to have to be ready for it.

Q. (Inaudible.)

ANDY RODDICK: We have had a good week. I think everybody came here ready to play. I think we all had a little bit of time off after the Australian Open to kind of get mentally prepared for this and kind of you know, we've just been having good practices. Everybody is hitting the ball pretty well. It's been a pretty high level during our practices this week, so I think we are all pretty excited and I think we are overpracticing so we are ready to get it started.

Q. Is there a different kind of prep going into here as opposed to going into the Aussie, for example?

ANDY RODDICK: Absolutely. It's totally different. It's a team event. It's not so individualized. But as far as matches, you are going into the Australian Open, you are trying to win it. You are going into matches this weekend, you are trying to win them. In that aspect, I guess it's the same.

Q. Are you happy to be able to send Robby out first? You have thought about obviously a good draw?

COACH McENROE: I wasn't really concerned either way. I think it will be nice to get Robby to start quickly. Andy has got obviously a lot of experience doing both, so from that standpoint, I think it works out well. Both guys are playing well, and both played a lot of matches already this year, so I feel pretty confident about how they are going to play well.

Q. How has your luck been at the tables? Funny money left?

ANDY RODDICK: I prefer to take their money in ping pong.

COACH McENROE: We only do it at ping pong games, basically comes down to that.

Q. How about Robby?

ROBBY GINEPRI: Same. I am losing it to Andy for winning ping pong.

ANDY RODDICK: Actually lost in the 20 cent last night five dollars.

Q. What about your matchup, strengths, weaknesses, how you match up with Stefan?

ANDY RODDICK: I have matched up well in the past. I have played him three times. I have come through pretty well each time. But it's a different Davis Cup is such a totally different beast than a normal tournament. It's very equalizing if someone gets kind of the, you know, the passion their teammates going and whatnot. So you definitely have to guard against it. I got to try to set the tone early, try to take him out of his rhythm, and maybe make him try to press a little bit.

Q. What about his rhythm that we would see that you would say you are taking him out?

ANDY RODDICK: I think I have to dictate pretty big against the baseline when he gets a chance to. Obviously my goal, I have got to try take my game to him as opposed to the other way around.

Q. Andy, have you sampled the food here? You talked about Slovakia, have you enjoyed our casino food?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it's great. You walk down to your from your room and you are already at the dinner table, so it's been good so far. I know how to pronounce all the dishes on the menu unlike some of the road trips, so it's there are positives all around.

Q. Bob, Mike, you guys are scheduled tomorrow. Having to play on Saturday, do you sit there and watch six hours of tennis, do you

BOB BRYAN: Yeah.

Q. How much are you hitting before tomorrow?

BOB BRYAN: We are going to hit probably an hour and a half doing what we normally do and then get out there and watch, you know, maybe one of the singles, I don't think Pat wants us to watch both. It can maybe a little bit draining.

ANDY RODDICK: Are you going to watch mine or Robby's?

BOB BRYAN: Robby's. Yeah, it can suck it out of you if you are getting too emotionally attached to the singles match, we can watch it on TV in the room.

MIKE BRYAN: Same.

ANDY RODDICK: Listen to that great commentary.

MIKE BRYAN: I hear Cliff is awesome. (Laughter).

ANDY RODDICK: I didn't see you there, I wouldn't have given you one.

Q. Do you think you will be 3 nil after Saturday?

COACH McENROE: Nothing would surprise me, so I am hoping it to us to get three wins, whenever that happens, that's when it will happen, hopefully. But I think we are pretty confident, but at the same time, we know these guys can play well and they can play real well in Davis Cup. We are excited. Our goal is to get three wins.

Deboogle!.
02-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Glad to know the 'hawk has been resurrected :o

http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/DC_2439_gallery.JPG

Deboogle!.
02-05-2004, 09:03 PM
and another

Deboogle!.
02-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Americans ready to win it all
By Greg Garber
ESPN.com

UNCASVILLE, Conn. -- Andy Roddick, the toast of Houston, was fielding questions at a press conference back in November celebrating his recent ascension to the No. 1 ranking in the tennis world.

Mardy Fish, a fellow American rising star and once a yearlong housemate, crept into the room. With Roddick in mid-answer, Fish shook a bottle of champagne and, thumbs on the top, doused him with a frothy shower. Roddick politely excused himself, threw an impressive headlock on Fish, then turned the champagne back into the face of the would-be prankster.

Roddick returned to the microphone and, with champagne still trickling down his face, asked with a dead-pan expression, "What was your question?"

Ah, boys will be boys.

At Tuesday's press conference for the United States vs. Austria Davis Cup match, captain Patrick McEnroe was talking about Roddick when Fish muttered something under his breath.

"Would you shut up?" Roddick said with an exasperated tone, as this was not the first Fish aside up on the dais.

And then Fish and Roddick smiled like a couple of schoolboys.

Interruption aside, this is precisely the kind of camaraderie, the sort of chemistry McEnroe envisioned when he took the job three years ago. That Fish was even present at the Mohegan Sun Casino is a tribute to McEnroe's team-building expertise. For when the singles matches begin on Friday (ESPN2, 3 p.m. ET), Fish is expected to be applauding Roddick and Robby Ginepri as they play for the United States

"When I told him he wasn't playing, he wanted to come anyway," McEnroe said Wednesday from his hotel room. "I told him 'My plan is to play Robby, he deserves a shot.' The fact that he wasn't playing for a spot, that he's No. 21 in the world and he's willing to spend a week practicing with the team, well, that sums it up.

"That's what I've been trying to do. Luckily, I have a good group of guys, so I didn't have work that hard at it."

This is not completely true. In one of the most individual sports in the smorgasbord of athletics, McEnroe has managed to get seven young Americans to focus on the same target and pull for each other in the process.

Roddick, 21, was the world No. 1 until Roger Federer and Juan Carlos Ferrero passed him last week at the Australian Open. As McEnroe pointed out, Fish, 22, has reached No. 21. Ginepri, the youngest of the group, is only 21 but is ranked No. 25. Throw in Taylor Dent, at 22 he is ranked No. 23, 24-year-old James Blake, who is rising again at No. 37, and Bob and Mike Bryan, the 25-year-old identical twins who will play doubles, and you have a formidable core for the future.

That's five U.S. players -- including the venerable Andre Agassi -- in the top 25, something that hasn't happened in nearly seven years. Both Roddick and the Bryan brothers occupied the No. 1 spot in singles and doubles, marking the first time that has happened to Americans since 1983, when John McEnroe was ranked No. 1 in singles and he and Peter Fleming were No. 1 in doubles.

The United States has won more Davis Cup titles (31) and matches (195) than any other country since competition began in 1900, but the recent history has been dreary. Two of America's six first-round losses have come in the last three years, to Croatia in 2003 and Switzerland in 2001. McEnroe and Company were forced to play a relegation match in September -- they won at Slovakia -- to return to the 16-entry world group.

The good news is that the Americans have never, ever lost a first-round tie played in the United States, a streak that extends to 27. Austria counters Roddick and Ginepri with Jurgen Melzer and Stefan Koubek, ranked No. 76 and No. 94, respectively.

If, as expected, the U.S. team wins, the Americans would likely face reigning champion Australia in an April quarterfinal Down Under. For the first time in a while, that might not be a certain loss for the Americans, even if Lleyton Hewitt and Mark Philippoussis are healthy.

The United States hasn't won since 1995 and, frankly, it's starting to become a source of irritation.

"That plays on our mind a lot," McEnroe said. "All of our guys are very committed. And the one thing they have all said to me as we look forward to this year is that we want to win it this year. We're not satisfied with winning a couple of matches. We want to win this whole thing. That's the first time I've heard that from them.

"I really believe that we have a strong chance to win it."

Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Jim Courier and Michael Chang all came up together in the late 1980s. They might not have been the best of friends, but they played well together as a team, winning the title in 1990, 1992 and 1995.

This group actually seems to like each other.

"This is just a couple of weeks of the year that we're not actually playing individual, and we're all good friends," Roddick said. "It's cool to be able to get together and trying to work together toward a common goal to be able to share this experience with guys that we actually get along with. That we're all buddies it makes it really fun and it's something that we all look forward to every year.

Roddick used to hit with the Bryans' father back when he was 8 years old. He and Ginepri have been on the same junior national teams since they were 11. And there was 1999, when Fish moved in with the Roddick family in Boca Raton, Fla.

"It's pretty cool to have a history with everybody here and be able to come together and work towards something," Roddick said.

It's quite possible that the competition between America's best and brightest has helped them raise the level of their individual games.

"That was always one of goals the goals when I took the job," said McEnroe, 37. "It was clear that Roddick was going to be the guy, but also clear that the other guys were pretty close and all relatively close in age.

"I always felt like this would help them overall. They're competing with each other and want to be part of it. I really believe that's what's happened. Mardy's top 20 and Taylor and Robby are right behind him. James played well in Australia, and I think he's going to have a much better year than last year. Hopefully, it will continue to happen.

"Let's hope we can keep it that way for a long time because that makes for a long-term success, and it helps the guys when they go out on the Tour. It's a tough business out there, but these guys are very competitive with each other. But being healthy and friendly with each other and sharing some of these experiences, it also helps when you're out on Tour."

McEnroe has been careful to cultivate all of the eligible young Americans. Fish has already played four ties, but Ginepri is a rookie this time out. His success in Australia -- he reached the round of 16 before losing to Sebastien Grosjean - vaulted him ahead of Fish, Dent and Blake, who also lost in the round of 16 -- to eventual finalist Marat Safin. When the Bryan brothers became a force last year, winning the French Open for their first Grand Slam title, McEnroe installed them as the doubles team for the match with Slovakia. They responded by winning their match and contributing to a 3-2 victory.

"There's always a familiar face out there," Bob Bryan said. "We like playing doubles because we're twins. You get to share the win with your brother, you get to go back to your room and talk about it. It just makes it more special."

McEnroe, who knew he'd have a few tough years ahead of him when he took the job in December 2000, likes what he sees.

"I strongly believe it's of high importance to these guys," he said. "I love that attitude. I think we're one of the teams for the next few years that every year people are going to say the U.S. can win. That's how we feel, that's how I feel."

J. Corwin
02-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Here's the draw:

United States vs. Austria
Venue: Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, Conn., USA
Friday
R1 - R. GINEPRI (USA) vs J. MELZER (AUT)
R2 - A. RODDICK (USA) vs S. KOUBEK (AUT)

Saturday
R3 - B. BRYAN / M. BRYAN (USA) vs J. KNOWLE / A. PEYA (AUT)

Sunday
R4 - A. RODDICK (USA) vs J. MELZER (AUT)
R5 - R. GINEPRI (USA) vs S. KOUBEK (AUT)

ESPN better show Andy's match tomorrow :o

I would think so.

What time (EST) does actually R1 start?? It would depend if it coincides with the live ESPN coverage.

Deboogle!.
02-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Conflicting reports. Some places say 2:30 eastern, some places say 3 eastern. Live ESPN Coverage is 3 hours starting at 3 eastern.

J. Corwin
02-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Yea I know that live coverage starts at 3 eastern. I just didn't know when actual match play starts. Either way, 2:30 or 3, you should be able to catch Andy. Coverage is 3 hours. However, I don't remember if ESPN will go overtime if a Davis Cup match doesn't finish within the alotted time period.

Deboogle!.
02-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Well again, reports conflict. On the USTA site it says ESPN2 will show "A&B matches" but on ESPN's site they only list match A. I'd think they'd want to show Andy.... it could depend on how fast the first match is so let's hope Robby crushes him in 3 ;)

tangerine_dream
02-06-2004, 12:33 AM
bunk, I can't get on the RO site for some reason. Here's another pic to add to the Davis Cup lot:

United States Davis Cup team members Andy Roddick, right, and Robby Ginepri answer questions from the media following the draw ceremony with Austria at Mohegan Sun Arena, Thursday, Feb. 5, 2004, in Uncasville, Conn. Ginepri will make his Davis Cup debut by playing Jurgen Melzer on Friday in the opener of the U.S. team's first-round match against Austria. Roddick meets Stefan Koubek in the second singles match. (AP Photo/John Spivey)

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 12:37 AM
the site's down babe :(

I've got DC pics covered though, we can't have more than one person doing a current tournament or that would be crazy lol

Fumus
02-06-2004, 12:41 AM
What do you think about Ginepri? I think that he is the best mover on the tour, the fastest, I mean..

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 12:46 AM
He's good. getting better. scrappy, etc. Not my fave and he obviously has next-to-no personality so I can't see him becoming a fave of mine anytime soon but I'll always root for an American :)

tangerine_dream
02-06-2004, 12:56 AM
I don't know what to make of Ginepri. I don't dislike the guy but of all the young Americans, he's probably my least favorite. I'm bummed Mardy Fish won't be playing at DC! :(

Anyways, maybe after I see Robby play live my opinion will change from "eh" to "pretty good". ;)

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 01:02 AM
hehehe maybe, tangy!!

eeeeeeek so excited for you!!! :)

Havok
02-06-2004, 01:26 AM
for the love of god Andy, stop putting your hair in an extreme pyramid. and grow out your sidebruns more:lol:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 01:53 AM
ummmmm.... yeah for REAL.....

J. Corwin
02-06-2004, 03:16 AM
ummmmm.... yeah for REAL.....

oh that's just bad

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 03:22 AM
Yea.... like, I'm glad he cut it, but the 'hawk... noooooooooooooooooooo

Havok
02-06-2004, 03:38 AM
oh crap Andy WTF!!!!!!!!!!! stop with the hawkiness. how about a 10% hawk, not full on 100% hawk

MisterQ
02-06-2004, 03:45 AM
I know immigrant guys who give $10 haircuts in a basement in Manhattan that are better than that one. :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 03:49 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either Mike or Bob likes what he sees though ;)

MisterQ
02-06-2004, 03:50 AM
Or maybe he's trying to keep from laughing... :lol:

MisterQ
02-06-2004, 03:51 AM
The first quote in your avatar is more applicable now than ever, bunk!

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 03:54 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA So it is!!

and I dunno..... I think Bob/Mike liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes it ;)

(as an aside, someone should make them always be holding a racket so that we can differentiate between them)

MisterQ
02-06-2004, 04:00 AM
I suppose it could be worse...
http://sctv.org/characters/edgrimley/edgrimley.gif
http://www.bobs.net/gif/boy.gif

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 04:02 AM
HAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHA

Q, HOW do you do it?!!?

tangerine_dream
02-06-2004, 05:02 AM
What's with the Ferris Bueller hairdo???? Ack!! :ras:

I like it better when it's longer and spikier, like he had at Qatar.

This new 'do is for the birds. ;)

star
02-06-2004, 05:24 AM
Maybe your poster should say something about the hair, Tangy.

I just think how embarassed he's gonna be 10 years from now when he sees those pictures.

You know, not as embarasses as Agassi probably is, but close. :)

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 05:30 AM
What's with the Ferris Bueller hairdo???? Ack!! :ras:

I like it better when it's longer and spikier, like he had at Qatar.

This new 'do is for the birds. ;)

You mean you like the JBF hair? ;) :devil:

bwguy
02-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Anyone have the pix yet?

Ginepri Debuts Against Melzer
February 6, 2004
By PAUL DOYLE, Courant Staff Writer

MONTVILLE -- Robby Ginepri won his first ATP tournament last summer in Newport, R.I., defeating Jurgen Melzer of Austria in the final.

So when Ginepri makes his Davis Cup debut today at the Mohegan Sun Arena, he should have an air of confidence - his opponent will be Melzer, Austria's No.1 singles player.

"Tough match in Newport, but it was on grass," Ginepri said. "It's going to be a different story [today]. Hopefully, I can get the job done."

If he beats Melzer again, the United States could be in line for an easy weekend. The top American singles player, Andy Roddick, will play in the second match today when he faces Stefan Koubek.

Roddick is ranked third in the world and was No.1 last year, so he is a heavy favorite today. Ginepri is ranked 25th after advancing to the fourth round in the Australian Open.

Melzer is ranked 76th, while Koubek is 94th.

On Saturday, the United States will send the top doubles team in the world - Bob and Mike Bryan - against Julian Knowle and Alexander Peya of Austria.

Could the United States run the table with three victories in a row?

"Nothing would surprise me," captain Patrick McEnroe said. "So I am hoping it is us who gets to three wins, whenever that happens. But I think we are pretty confident."

On Sunday, Roddick will face Melzer and Ginepri will play Koubek. But by then, the United States may have clinched the first round.

"I think everybody came here ready to play," Roddick said. "Everybody is hitting the ball pretty well. It's been a pretty high level during our practices this week, so I think we are all pretty excited."

Ginepri will be under the microscope, after he was chosen to play ahead of Mardy Fisk. Also, he was chosen for the team ahead of James Blake, the Fairfield native. Blake was a member of the Davis Cup for three years, winning five singles matches.

Table Tennis Anyone?

While they are staying at the Mohegan Sun Hotel, the U.S. players say they are staying away from the casino. The only wagering happening among the players involves a pingpong table. The U. S. Tennis Association had a table shipped from New York, and the players have been engaging in some heated games.

"I prefer to take their money in pingpong," Roddick said. ... As they walked to the hotel after the draw ceremony, a few players decided spontaneously to have their heads shaved at a Mohegan Sun salon. Roddick, the Bryan twins and a few members of the support staff got crew cuts. This was significant for Roddick, who is known for his spiked hairstyle. ... There were about 200 media credentials issued for the weekend, surpassing any event at the Mohegan Sun Arena. When the arena opened with an NBA game featuring Michael Jordan, there were more than 100 credentials issued. This will be the largest for any Davis Cup first-round match in the United States. ... There have been about 6,000 tickets sold for each day, so the Davis Cup could set a first-round attendance record. The tournament drew 18,056 for the 2002 first round in Oklahoma City. ... McEnroe's wife, Melissa Errico, will sing the national anthem today. Errico is a stage and film actress. ... Weather permitting, the USTA is expecting Billie Jean King and Jim Courier.

http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hc-daviscup0206.artfeb06,1,6359375.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 03:40 PM
pics of what? We've already posted a few here in this thread... hello btw!!! :wavey:

And ya gotta love The Bud
------

US set to roll the dice with Ginepri at casino
By Bud Collins, Boston Globe Columnist, 2/6/2004

UNCASVILLE, Conn. -- Legendary 17th century leader Chief Uncas of the Mohegan tribe clearly had vision as he led his people to settle on the banks of the Thames River in the wilds of Connecticut, where one day they would prosper in the aleatory arts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Where roebuck once roamed, roulette balls now roll and tennis balls will bounce over the weekend as Andy Roddick and the United States Davis Cup team hope to divert clientele of the Mohegan Sun Casino from the tables to the adjoining Arena for a few hours to see if they can cast snake eyes at some tourists from Austria.

"Dwight's pot" -- the 104-year-old Cup, so monickered in 1900 by Boston cronies of donor Dwight Davis -- is up for grabs again as the 16-nation World Group starts swinging in such locales as Adelaide, Australia; Bucharest, Romania; Minsk, Belarus; Agadir, Morocco. But none quite as glitzy, untennisy -- and controversial -- as a gambling den.

Numerous longtime supporters of the US Tennis Association have questioned the wisdom and propriety of showcasing the national team at a casino. Ted Schroeder, a Hall of Famer, prominent in winning the Cup four straight years (1946-49), has complained, "What kind of message is this from an organization supposedly dedicated to youth and family recreation -- to display your team in a gambling atmosphere?"

That's my feeling, too. But the USTA is hitting a jackpot, probably in six figures, and, as we know, all sports, including tennis, is about wampum.

Nevertheless, the show goes on, a best-of-five series with rookie Robby Ginepri, No. 25, winner of the Jimmy Van Alen Cup last July at Newport, R.I., leading off against lefthander Jurgen Melzer, No. 76, whom he beat in that final on grass. The surface this time is a carpet of a synthetic nature. Next comes Roddick, demoted from No. 1 to No. 3 by his Australian Open loss to Marat Safin, and No. 94 Stefan Koubek, a holder of three career titles.

The singles are reversed Sunday, following tomorrow's doubles. Making their second Cup start -- doubling the fun and the family involvement -- twins Bob and Mike Bryan bring their No. 1 ranking to bear against Melzer and Julian Knowle.

Interestingly, the Austrians are presenting a solid southpaw lineup, the first such array ever to oppose the US. It could be somewhat puzzling for a while. However, a harder 6 for the Austrians than that at a craps table may be the 6 closing out a set. Their captain, Gunter Bresnik, conceded, "It's not going to make a big difference" how his guys play against Roddick. "Andy Roddick is not going to be affected by anything."

Candid man. But Bresnik doesn't have anywhere near the 1990 Austrian team, bulwarked by Thomas Muster, who beat both Andre Agassi and Michael Chang on Viennese clay. Only Chang's gritty rebound in the fifth match to beat Horst Skoff, 3-6, 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-4, 6-3, saved the Americans, 3-2, enabling them to go on to the Cup over Australia.

Daringly, US captain Patrick McEnroe has already publicly stated that his team will win the Cup, thus busting an eight-year drought that began with a 1996 loss to the Czech Republic. The Americans' latest Cup was taken, 3-2, over Russia in 1995, a tour de force for Pete Sampras: two singles and a doubles in Moscow.

Most painful thirst experienced by the US was the 1927-36 decade, a dry spell ended by Don Budge & Co. over Great Britain at Wimbledon in 1937.

Closest that Roddick, in his fourth campaign, and his mates have gotten to the Cup were peeks at the huge punchbowl in a glass case at the Australian Open. Hosts to Sweden, the defending Aussies are getting worked up about an almost sure-thing quarterfinal against the Yanks in Sydney Easter weekend.

"We'll be there if they are," said Roddick, who has buzzed his hair, and looked razor-sharp in workouts. "These have been high-level practices, and we're all hitting well."

Novitiate Ginepri is "really excited" about earning a start ahead of previous regulars James Blake and Mardy Fish. "This is something I've looked forward to since I started playing as a kid," Ginepri said.

"We're all rivals on the circuit," said Roddick, "but we're a very tight group when we get together for the Cup. We get excited about it and we're determined to get the thing."

bwguy
02-06-2004, 05:59 PM
pics of what? We've already posted a few here in this thread... hello btw!!! :wavey:

I meant photos of the crew cut haircut he and the Bryans got after the draw ceremony. It was mentioned toward the end of the article I posted. Did you post photos of that somewhere here? I didn't see them. --- And hello to you too. :wavey:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Yep scroll through the thread, I posted a few and tangerine_dream posted one or two. You can see Andy's haircut in all of them :D

Make sure in your settings that you don't have pics blocked, I think you can choose that and then it'll block all pics so you don't want that lol

Havok
02-06-2004, 07:46 PM
what time do the matches start NY time???

J. Corwin
02-06-2004, 08:06 PM
yep, just saw Andy on TV. He had a haircut

Havok
02-06-2004, 08:16 PM
ALLEZ emotionless Ginepri 3-1

Mr. Man
02-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Andy has shaved his head. hmmmm

Havok
02-06-2004, 09:02 PM
:eek: how shaved???

MisterQ
02-06-2004, 09:47 PM
shaved?!

Maybe he read our comments -- ooops!

Well, I'm sure it's an improvement.

Havok
02-06-2004, 10:01 PM
well at least no more freakin pyramid hair. i think his hair grows back pretty fast though, so in about 3 weeks, it should be the right length for proper spikeage, and no freakin hawk. you hear me Andy, refrain from the hawk!!!

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 10:10 PM
damn... for some reason it didn't tape the first hourso I missed it - was it anything worthwhile? LOL

and Thanks Robby, for making it so we won't see Andy's match :fiery:

Sjengster
02-06-2004, 10:18 PM
If Melzer throws this golden opportunity away I will never forgive him - in their infinite wisdom Sky have chosen on paper the least competitive tie of the first round to show over here, so a live third day would be much appreciated. I'd love to see Special K beat Roddick (no disrespect intended, but Mr. Fashionista is one of my favourites), but this first one is a little more likely for the Austrians.

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Well Robby's up 2 breaks in the 4th and looking pretty good. He's got way more winners than errors and has a better differential than Melzer does.

Just need to vent a little - I hate my VCR. I set the timer right and it started taping on ESPN (for literally one minute) and then switched for an hour to tape something else and then switched back to ESPN. :fiery:

so I missed the beginning of the coverage - what was it?

Sjengster
02-06-2004, 10:26 PM
I don't know what they showed on ESPN, but here I got to see Ginepri choke the first set away after serving for it at 5-3 only to double fault on breakpoint and then do exactly the same thing at 6-6 in the breaker, having come back from 2-6.

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 10:30 PM
I meant an opening ceremony of sorts. I want to see Andy bald ;)

Thanks Robby for making this as long as you possibly can :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 10:43 PM
wow GREAT POINT at bp in the 5th....Robby is FAST

and was that some emotion from Robby?? :eek:

Sjengster
02-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Didn't see a ceremony, although I did catch a glimpse of Roddick's horrible Hewitt-style cropped haircut when they showed him sitting courtside.

Melzer now broken in the fifth... say goodnight to the folks, Gracie. If you're going to beat someone convincingly, best not to lose your opening service games of the last three sets like he's done.

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 10:48 PM
well to Robby's credit it sounds like he's playing a lot better.

and oh ok thanks for that Sjengster... I'd rather a bad Hewitt-style haircut than a ridiculous mohawk ;) yes I'm shallow.

Sjengster
02-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Yes, but I have a noble tradition of supporting the underdog in DC, especially the team playing away from home - and it would have been nice for the strutting Bubba (someone from another board gave him that nickname) to have been taken down a peg in his very first singles match. As it is, this tie is going to be a 5-0 blowout - just watch Koubek come out and play like a hopeless amateur against Roddick.

I'll stop whining now. But Melzer played so well early on, you know... I bet it's his conditioning which is suspect.

Mr. Man
02-06-2004, 10:57 PM
I don't know if it is shaved or not. I think I was looking at the wrong guy. :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 10:59 PM
LOL Mr. Man!!!

Sounds like enough people saw him early on for it to have been him. I'm sure he's not out there anymore though, getting ready for his own match.

I wonder if ESPN will show it at all :(

Mr. Man
02-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Yeah. I just saw the "No Andy no" thread and he his bald! ahhhhhh :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2004, 11:13 PM
lol they just showed him real quick at the end... I like it!!!! :yeah:

Havok
02-06-2004, 11:29 PM
allez Andy. and Robby:yawn: had to stretch the damn win as much as you can huh:rolleyes: but good for you for winning it at least:lol:

Havok
02-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Roddick leads Koubek 6-4 :banana: see Robby, that's how you serve out a set:wavey:

Deboogle!.
02-07-2004, 12:13 AM
here's the hair (or lackthereof)

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040206/i/r510786090.jpg

Is andy having a little trouble serving or is it just that game (was at dinner so I don't know how the first set went)

star
02-07-2004, 12:21 AM
He doesn't appear to be having trouble. 65% first serves, winning 79% of the first serves and 94% of the second.

Winning 32% of receiving points.

star
02-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Andy shaved his head?

I guess he got tired of our remarks about the "hawk" ;)

Deboogle!.
02-07-2004, 12:27 AM
he's had some BPs against him and now at deuce. that's trouble, for him ;)

Havok
02-07-2004, 12:29 AM
ouff, it's just a tad too short. one week, it'll look more better. (my sister's a hair dresser, so i know way to much crap about hair:scared: )

star
02-07-2004, 12:35 AM
he's had some BPs against him and now at deuce. that's trouble, for him ;)

It must be pretty normal for him, if he leads the tour in saving break points.

Deboogle!.
02-07-2004, 12:41 AM
I suppose... he's still having tight service games in this second set.

ESPN better show this match, or at least The Serve tomorrow or I'll beat their asses myself.

Havok
02-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Roddick def. Koubek 6-4, 6-4, 6-2:rocker2: now they lead 2-0:banana:
ESPN better show this match after what should be a quick doubles match in favor of the Brian brothers.

Deboogle!.
02-07-2004, 01:10 AM
exactly Naldo... they could cut the breaks and changeovers and show this match in an hour!

Nice win Andy! :worship:

J. Corwin
02-07-2004, 01:39 AM
congrats Andy, and Robby

They HAVE to show "The Serve heard around the world" tomorrow! lol

Deboogle!.
02-07-2004, 01:46 AM
I'm sure they will..... this match could be edited down to about an hour lol

here's an article..... some brilliant words from our buddy Andy:
---------
Roddick, Ginepri give United States 2-0 lead over Austria
HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Tennis Writer
Friday, February 6, 2004

(02-06) 17:33 PST UNCASVILLE, Conn. (AP) --

With a flick of his elastic right arm, Andy Roddick hit a record-breaking 150 mph serve to set the tone for his lopsided Davis Cup victory.

Teammate Robby Ginepri had to work much harder for his own precedent-setting win.

Together, Roddick and Ginepri gave the United States a 2-0 lead over Austria on Friday in their best-of-five first-round Davis Cup series.

Ginepri came all the way back to beat Jurgen Melzer 6-7 (6), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2, becoming the first U.S. rookie in the 105-year history of the Davis Cup to win a match after dropping the first two sets.

In the second match, U.S. Open champion Roddick set a new standard for serving speed and overwhelmed Stefan Koubek 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 in 11/2 hours -- half the time Ginepri needed at the same casino arena used by the WNBA's Connecticut Sun.

The entrances to the arena are about a 30-second walk from the jingle-jangle of falling coins and the other assorted carnival sounds of a gambling hall.

Hoping to end the U.S. Davis Cup drought -- the country's last title came in 1995 -- captain Patrick McEnroe took a chance and went with Ginepri, 21, who turned pro in 2001. McEnroe bypassed James Blake, Mardy Fish and Taylor Dent, who have a combined 10-7 career record in Davis Cup matches.

The odds didn't look good for Ginepri after two sets against Melzer. Perhaps realizing his predicament couldn't get much worse, Ginepri began swinging more freely. He also eventually solved Melzer's left-handed serve, picking up a break in the first game of each of the last three sets.

"I didn't come up with the goods in the first two sets, but I hung in there and took it," Ginepri said. "Playing for the country for the first time -- there's no other experience out there that teaches you how to deal with that."

The Americans can clinch victory and advance to a quarterfinal meeting against defending champion Australia or Sweden by winning Saturday's doubles match.

Elsewhere in the first round, the Netherlands led Canada 2-0, and Argentina took a 2-0 lead over Morocco. Tied at 1-1 were: Sweden-Australia, Switzerland-Romania, Croatia-France, Spain-Czech Republic and Russia-Belarus.

Roddick improved to 9-3 in his nascent Davis Cup career thanks in large part to his top asset: a serve that Koubek never caught up to. Roddick only faced two break points, saving both, and finished with 19 aces.

"My serve was my wild card today. It got me out of trouble," said Roddick, who recently dropped from No. 1 to No. 3 in the rankings.

Twice, he dialed up the courtside speed meter to 150 mph; Roddick and Greg Rusedski shared the old mark of 149 mph.

"The first couple of games, I glanced at the radar. That's sort of a gauge for me," Roddick said. "When I opened up with a buck-fifty, I thought, 'That's out of the ordinary."' (Really Andy???? out of the ordinary??? To take a page out of your own book..... THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! :lol: )

By the end of the third set, Roddick was still hitting serves above 140 mph. He showed his versatility, too, ending the match by spinning in a 98 mph offering that completely fooled Koubek. He returned the ball meekly, and Roddick tapped in a volley winner to improve to 4-0 against Koubek.

McEnroe picked Ginepri because of recent play. He is ranked a career-best 25th -- 51 spots better than Melzer -- after reaching the fourth round of a Grand Slam tournament for the first time at the Australian Open last month.

And perhaps McEnroe had this in mind, too: Ginepri's only ATP Tour title came with a victory over Melzer in the final at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships at Newport, R.I., in July.

Davis Cup captains are allowed to sit on the changeover benches and offer coaching tips. McEnroe offered Ginepri encouragement.

"When I was down two sets," Ginepri recalled, "he asked me if I have come back from two sets down. I said, 'No.' 'Well,' he said, 'today is going to be the day.' He had a lot of confidence in me, which meant a lot."

Melzer, meanwhile, tightened up and grew increasingly frustrated. By the last set, he would follow lost points by kicking the ball into the net or drop-kicking his racket to the court.

He began the fifth set by taking a 40-0 lead on his serve. But Ginepri won reeled off eight straight points to break in that game and set up a hold in the next.

A telling statistic: Melzer had more double-faults (12) than aces (10).

The Austrian didn't offer any complex explanations, saying simply: "I choked."

Deboogle!.
02-07-2004, 05:11 AM
USTA's wrapup:
------
Andy Roddick (USA) vs. Stefan Koubek (AUT)

USTA.com

After winning his first seven Davis Cup matches, Andy Roddick lost three in a row before a straight-sets victory over Karol Beck last September, which clinched the World Group playoff and sent the U.S. back into the World Group.

Today, following Robby Ginepri’s tremendous comeback against Jurgen Melzer, Roddick took the court against Austria’s Stefan Koubek hoping to give his country a commanding two matches to none advantage.

Unlike Ginepri, Andy set the tone early and came out firing. In fact, after acing Koubek on the very first serve of the match, Roddick smashed a serve that registered 150mph on the Getronics Speed Serve in the arena. Unfortunately, that serve was ruled out, but it still was something that caught Andy's eye, and he raised his arms over his head in recognition to the crowd.

"The first couple of games, I glanced at the radar. That's sort of a gauge for me," Roddick said. "When I opened up with a buck-fifty, I thought, 'That's out of the ordinary."

Ironically, six games later Roddick duplicated the incredible feat, as he closed out a game with an ace that also clocked 150mph. When that serve was ruled in, it broke Andy's own world record for the fastest recorded serve in the history of tennis (previously tied with Greg Rusedski at 149mph).

Throughout the rest of the match, Roddick continued to pace the way with his dominating serve. Koubek played admirably, but he was merely unable to keep up with the lasers.

"My serve was my wild card today. It got me out of trouble," said Roddick.

Roddick, who improved to 9-3 in Davis Cup play, wound up facing just two break points, and he didn’t lose either. He also amassed 19 aces in his 14 service games.

“At the end of the day, the thing that matters is,” Roddick said, “that I didn’t get broken. And that’s the one that I’ll take anyday.”

At the end of the day, Roddick was still dialing it up to 140mph and up, and wound up finishing Koubek off in just one hour and 31 minutes, which was less than half the time it took Ginepri to beat Melzer.

bwguy
02-07-2004, 02:25 PM
They're Off To A Fast Start
Roddick Sets Record With 150 MPH Serve
February 7, 2004
By PAUL DOYLE, Courant Staff Writer

MONTVILLE -- On a snowy and icy day, 5,143 tennis fans came to the Eastern Connecticut woods to catch a glimpse of a rising star. And within two serves, Andy Roddick gave the people something to talk about. In the second match of the Davis Cup tie at Mohegan Sun Arena on Friday, Roddick wound up and blasted his serve for an ace.

His next serve lit up the radar gun like a slot machine - 150 mph, the fastest serve ever recorded. The problem was the serve was a fault, so it wasn't a record.

But the reading planted an idea in Roddick's head. So later in the first set, Roddick drilled another 150-mph serve and raised his hands in celebration. The record was reached.

By the time Roddick finished off Austria's Stefan Koubek 6-4, 6-4, 6-2, the record was just one part of a memorable first day for the U.S. Robby Ginepri survived the first match with Jurgen Melzer 6-7 (6), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2, so the U.S. finished with a 2-0 lead in the best-of-five series.

Today, the U.S. doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan can clinch a first-round victory. The Bryans, No.1 in the world, will face Julian Knowle and Alexander Peya. The United States has won 31 Davis Cup titles, but it has been shut out since 1995. Based on its 2004 debut, this team may have the talent to end the drought.

"I don't think there is any doubt we do," captain Patrick McEnroe said. "There are a lot of great teams out there, but I think we are developing the chemistry ... and more and more guys are playing damn well."

All the optimism starts with the United States' No.1 player, and Roddick delivered with his booming serve. He had 19 aces and Koubek was unable to break his serve.

"I opened up with a buck fifty [and] I thought `That's out of the ordinary,'" Roddick said. "After that, I thought [the record] might happen."

Roddick, ranked third in the world, had no trouble with No. 94 Koubek. He completed the match in 91 minutes.

While the crowd may have come to see Roddick, Ginepri and Melzer were a memorable warmup act. In his first Davis Cup match, Ginepri climbed back from a two-set deficit to beat Melzer, becoming the first U.S. rookie to do that in 105 years of Davis Cup. After being selected ahead of Mardy Fish, James Blake, and Taylor Dent, Ginepri was under pressure to perform. And he was admittedly anxious, especially early in the match.

"He proved he deserved it," McEnroe said. "I really felt this was a big match for Robby."

Said Roddick: "Everything I did out there today pales in comparison to the effort that Robby put in. ... Robby stepped up today. It's a good feeling. It definitely feels like something good is growing here."

Ginepri had 18 aces, including four in the first three games. He won all three of those, as Melzer earned just one point. But Melzer battled back and won the set in a tiebreaker. He carried his momentum into the second set.

"I wasn't playing, you know, on the top of my game and Jurgen was hitting a lot of unbelievable shots," Ginepri said. "I got a little nervous."

As he sat on the side after the second set, McEnroe asked Ginepri if he had ever come back from a two-set deficit.

Ginepri said he had not.

"Well," McEnroe said, "today is going to be the day."

McEnroe's reasoning? Melzer was playing with abandon and was bound to wear out. He figured if Ginepri was conservative with his serve and rallied with Melzer, he would outlast him.

"Anytime you have a player tired, you want to make him run more," McEnroe said. "I kept reminding Robby that I'd rather see him win a point hitting three, four shots than hitting a big serve."

Melzer was up 2-1 in the third set when there was a sudden shift. Ginepri won the next three games and eventually the set.

"I fell a little bit and he lifted [himself] a little bit," Melzer said. "But at 2-1 ... I had some chances, but I didn't take it."

With crowd behind him, Ginepri rolled into the fourth set and took a 5-1 lead. Melzer didn't wilt, winning the next three games before Ginepri won the set.

Ginepri stormed to a 5-1 lead in the fifth and the crowd became more animated.

"I choked," Melzer said. "Fifth set, of course you get a little tired ... but he lifted his game and I couldn't get anything against him."

Said Ginepri: "The adrenaline was going, fans were getting me into it, and I was just pumped out there."

Deboogle!.
02-07-2004, 02:27 PM
here's the post-match interview..... some funny stuff in it, per usual :)
------
2004 DAVIS CUP 1st ROUND
AUSTRIA vs. USA
UNCASVILLE, CONNECTICUT

February 6, 2004

A. RODDICK/S. Koubek
6-4, 6-4, 6-2

ANDY RODDICK
COACH PATRICK McENROE

Q. Robby down two sets to Love, a lot of people from Connecticut are saying where is James Blake at that time. What was your rationale for picking Robby who came through for you?

CAPTAIN McENROE: I love James Blake. I wasn't thinking, as much as I love him, I wasn't thinking about him at that point. Robby has had a great year. Robby deserved a shot. I think he showed why in the last three sets. He kept his composure. He has got a big game. I think he has got a big upside. I felt like he was playing the best tennis out of the rest of those guys. I watched them all in Australia. I thought James played real well in Australia myself, but so did Robby. I thought Robby deserved the opportunity. I think he proved he deserved it.

Q. Patrick, Robby said that when he came back at the beginning of that first set, and you asked him whether or not he'd ever won a five-setter, he said, no. You said, "well you are going to do it today." Did you believe that?

CAPTAIN McENROE: That was after the second set that I said that. I did believe that. I really did.

ANDY RODDICK: That was tremendous foresight knowing he was going to lose the second too. You are an awesome captain.

CAPTAIN McENROE: I felt like -- I really felt like he could, and Melzer was taking a lot of high-risk shots at big moments and Robby, you know, understandably, first match -- I don't know one player that's not been a little nervous in their first match in Davis Cup. Melzer was taking some big cuts on big points that happened to go in. And I felt like if Robby just played a little more consistently and worked every point that sooner or later he'd be able to break his game down. That's what happened.

Q. Andy, opening up a Davis Cup match with a record breaking serve --

ANDY RODDICK: I missed it so that one goes out the door. I kind of -- first couple of games I glanced at the radar, kind of used it as a gauge because some days you are hitting your out-wide serve pretty well and T -serves some days are going pretty well, I opened up with a buck fifty, I thought that's out of the ordinary, I guess. After that I thought it might happen but, you know, at the end of the day the thing that matters is, you know, serving stats that say I didn't get broken. That's the one that I will take any day.

Q. Davis Cup team members getting the short haircuts?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, no. (Laughs) Robby's got enough hair for all of us so we decided to take ours off.

Q. What was behind it, anything special?

ANDY RODDICK: Not really. I think boredom? (Laughs) no. I think one of the Bryan Brothers or both of them they were talking about getting haircuts. I said, well, I could go for one too. I guess, we might as well do it right if we are going to do it. We were lucky enough to be able to finish five haircuts in 16 minutes, so, it's all about planning out your day, I guess.

Q. Are you going to coerce Patrick into shaving his head --

ANDY RODDICK: He said he wouldn't do his hair so I am leaning towards eyebrows right now. No, his response was actually a pretty good one. He said maybe later in the year if we are still here, we are still getting together for these Davis Cup weeks, so we'll see.

Q. Was the match easier than you might have expected?

ANDY RODDICK: No, I mean, I don't think you go in really expecting anything. I was confident that if, you know, if I stayed the course and played my game that I would win today. But, you know, I didn't feel like -- I felt like he was getting the better of me, more baseline rallies, than I would have liked today. But my serve got me out of trouble. It was my wildcard today and, you know, that kind of was the difference, I think.

Q. What would you make of the fans of Connecticut, how did you think they responded?

ANDY RODDICK: It was great. I know, for sure, Robby came in, he was feeding off of them big time. You don't come back from two sets down without feeling support or feeling some sort of jolt of emotion to kind of inspire you. So that was great. I think they are very knowledgeable. It was very cool because they knew kind of, you know, when a really good shot was played and they kind of respected it. So it was a lot of fun to play here for the first time.

Q. What were you thinking when Robby went down two sets?

ANDY RODDICK: You know, obviously I wasn't thrilled, but I thought Jurgen, like Patrick said, was kind of going for broke. And I was interested to see if Robby kind of stayed the course which he did, which he ended up doing, and made him play every game, if he could keep that kind of tennis up for another set. I felt like Robby should have won the first and maybe after that Jurgen kind of got on a hot streak end of the first and into the second. I never really lost hope in Robby. I thought if he stayed the course and played his game and, you know, maybe got on top of Jurgen a little bit maybe the crowd would get to him, you know, I thought he had a shot at all times.

Q. Did you talk to him at all before the tie just even right before the match to give him a little bit of perspective of being in a Davis Cup debut?

ANDY RODDICK: No, Robby knows his stuff. He's always pretty relaxed. I knew the situation wouldn't really get the better of him. As we were standing in the tunnel just about to walk out I said, you are going to feel a rush of blood like you probably haven't felt before. You have probably had a big adrenaline rush, but this is just a different type in Davis Cup with the chants of USA, all that stuff, I kind of just said, play your match and don't come out of your shoes too early. And, you know, just go about it like a normal day of tennis.

Q. Have you ever had the impression that you could get in danger today?

ANDY RODDICK: That I could get in danger today? You are always I mean, you got -- you go out there everyday to prove yourself against the best players in the world, I think that's what we do for a living. But once I had the first set in hand I thought if I kept serving the way I did that it would be a very long day if he wanted to try to come back.

Q. Robby mentioned he watched Elf. Do you have any special pre-game rituals or something?

ANDY RODDICK: I was watching it with him. But not really. I mean, not really. I used to kind of listen to a lot of tunes before I went on the court and all sorts of stuff like that. I think when you are with a team especially a Davis Cup, your nerves can get the better of you. Sometimes it is good to relax with the guys when they joke around, it was a pretty relaxed atmosphere in the team room this morning.

Q. Do you feel a little bit like a team leader?

ANDY RODDICK: I mean, I don't know, obviously our captain is our team leader, but, you know, I was talking earlier this week, this my fifth year being at Davis Cup matches, as scary as that is, you know, I kind of do feel like the elder statesmen of our team now as far as Davis Cup Ties played in.

CAPTAIN McENROE: He's an old hag now.

ANDY RODDICK: Over the hill, former No. 1, and all (laughter). It's all downhill.

CAPTAIN McENROE: Really on the downside.

ANDY RODDICK: Kind of, but I think we are all learning together. I don't think there's one of us that kind of tries to take over. I think we try to handle our business, and have a good time.

Q. You do show some leadership quality?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I don't think it's too much on purpose. I mean, I think any of us -- if the other has a question and we think we can help them we'll volunteer information, but, you know, as far as more than that, I am not so sure.

Q. Is this a day where you might take some more satisfaction in Robby's win more than your own?

ANDY RODDICK: No question. Absolutely no question. Everything I did out there today pales in comparison to the effort that Robby put in today. Even in Slovakia when Marty stepped up, I didn't play so well, he stepped up and won the second match. Robby stepped up today. It is a good feeling, definitely feel like something good is growing here.

Q. If you have to play the Russian Team the second round --

ANDY RODDICK: We play the winner of Australia and Sweden.

Q. When they were having trouble in the first two sets with Robby, looked like he was doublefaulting a lot. Maybe hitting off his back foot. Anything technically you said to him about how he's playing?

CAPTAIN McENROE: I think keep moving, sometimes Robby's, he's so quick that sometimes his footwork he gets a little lax with it, and obviously that comes from nerves as well. But he does that in some of his other matches. I really felt that this was a big match for Robby because I think he learned that if he plays the kind of game that he can play, which is work his opponents, playing some long points, that that's going to wear guys down. I have always believed that about him, and I think winning a match like that from two sets down when noticeably the other guy is fatiguing and you are having a lot to do with that, I think it's big boost for his confidence.

Q. When you look at the other countries they don't always have as many choices for their Davis Cup teams. How difficult is it for you to choose between five, six excellent players out there?

CAPTAIN McENROE: It's a blessing and toughest part of the job. It's a good problem to have. The toughest part of my job is to tell the guys who aren't going to play. And to tell James Blake in Slovakia that he was going to sit on the bench for that, and to tell Todd Martin when James Blake was first coming up and playing. Luckily all these guys so far want to keep coming back and playing, and hopefully that will continue. I think we are going to need all of them at different stages to have success year in and year out. But it's a good problem to have.

Q. Can you talk about your conversations with Robby about when to go with his slice serve; when to take something off the big serve. He had Melzer stretching with that backhand at times. It was ---

CAPTAIN McENROE: Any time you get a player tired you want to make him run more, and, you know, I kept reminding Robby that I'd rather see him win a point hitting three, four shots than hitting a big serve. If it's -- Andy obviously, that's different, you know, Andy one of his big shots is his serve. You have to understand what is the strength of your game and, you know, Robby wins a few cheap points with an ace, great, but I'd rather see him count hit a one, two punch or 1-2-3 shot, because that's when you can count on when it gets to 4-All and 5-All. That repetition of doing that. He's learning that pretty quickly. I think that's really going to be what, you know, what determines how far he's going to go. I think he can go quite far.

Q. What do you think Robby needs to do to take his game to the next level?

CAPTAIN McENROE: Needs to get more consistent. Needs to play like that type of tennis he played in the last two sets from the start, point in and point out. And not to take anything for granted. Just be relentless in the way he plays because he can play that well from the ground when he's on.

Q. In Australia you had a lot of guys that during that first week were really playing well. What was the deciding factor for you and how tough a decision was it?

CAPTAIN McENROE: Well, I thought I answered that already. But I will be happy to answer it again. Deciding factor was that Robby has had great results --

ANDY RODDICK: Stop with the attitude. (Laughs).

CAPTAIN McENROE: -- not just in Australia but in the last six months. James also played well, but Robby had -- I thought a couple of better wins, and his ranking is just moving up. I thought this was a great opportunity for him to play. Obviously Taylor also has played well, and certainly until he ran into Andy was looking good. Marty didn't play many matches, only played two matches in the last three months so he lost first round of Sydney, first round of the Australian Open. Now the good news is that James has played some matches for us and won. Marty has done the same now Robby has done the same. So as we go forward, I think we have a lot of options to choose from and I think those guys are going to continue to sort of battle for those spots down the road. And we need that. We really need those guys to all be improving, I think to continue to have success.

Q. Remembering back to your first Davis Cup match, how did you feel then and how did you compare your emotions now?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I think it's a lot different than what Robby went through today. I played a dead rubber for my first Davis Cup match so the outcome was already decided so it was more of trying to ignore the Swiss players drinking champagne on the sidelines, but, you know, it's a different entity because you don't know - it's the first time you deal with a crowd, you know, like Davis Cup, that's just -- such a partisan crowd so it's just a different thing. I am still learning how to deal with it. It's not like Davis Cup you play every week and you lose okay, but I will work on something next week. It happens, you know, in the last year I played one Davis Cup match, sorry, two, I mean, one tie, so it's just something different and I think it comes with experience.

Q. We have not won the Davis Cup since 1995. Does this team have what it takes to do it?

CAPTAIN McENROE: I don't think there's any doubt we do. I mean, there's a lot of great teams out there, but I think we are developing the right chemistry and, you know, more and more guys are playing damn well. And we have depth and we have a great doubles team, and when we have had great doubles teams over the history of the US in Davis Cup we have been pretty successful so I think we have a great chance.

Q. One game you served wide, ace, and radar registered 117 miles an hour. It went down the middle and it registered 150. I am sure you don't take account of this but do you know of any of the players that purposely go down the middle because the radar gun registers a hotter speed? It does by the way. Players are aware of it or not?

ANDY RODDICK: Of course, I think it's common knowledge just to answer the reason for that's just because they spin. You can't hit a flat serve out wide.

Q. Actually one of the reasons the radar gun is on the side. Do players go for speed rather than tactically go for the big hit down the middle because the gun registers faster?

ANDY RODDICK: Only really, really stupid ones. And I think the one that I broke the record on was into the body anyways, I don't think it was down the T.

CAPTAIN McENROE: Actually hit it pretty clean the return.

ANDY RODDICK: I don't think that factors into a player's mind.

Deboogle!.
02-07-2004, 06:25 PM
yay they're gonna show Andy's match after the dubs! :banana:

Havok
02-07-2004, 06:44 PM
*looks forward to the video clips of it*

Deboogle!.
02-07-2004, 06:49 PM
yay they picked it up at 4-3 in the first right before The Serve.

I think it deserves mentioning that the serve before the 150mph was a 147mph ace.

omg a BH passing shot DTL??? Who is this person and what did they do with Andy ;)

Mr. Man
02-07-2004, 07:38 PM
So hasn't USA won now? Congrats!

Deboogle!.
02-07-2004, 07:40 PM
yes they have :dance: yay!

it really was wonderful to watch dubs live on tv in the middle of the day lol

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 02:38 AM
Well Sweden beat Australia so instead of an away tie in Oz, it's a home tie against Sweden. PMac certainly must've paid someone off good ;)

Wonder where the tie will be. the QF is in April right? It's right before Houston...hmmmmm can't imagine who will be lobbying for that QF. not that I would complain, but yeah.

Havok
02-08-2004, 02:50 AM
:lol: well they've played at Houston before for a tie, 2002 QF wasn't it? they played on grass, was at Houston right??? but they should give it to someone else though, Houston should stop hogging stuff:p
it's a home tie, but who choses the surface??

star
02-08-2004, 02:53 AM
Well Sweden beat Australia so instead of an away tie in Oz, it's a home tie against Sweden. PMac certainly must've paid someone off good ;)

Wonder where the tie will be. the QF is in April right? It's right before Houston...hmmmmm can't imagine who will be lobbying for that QF. not that I would complain, but yeah.

Told you the credentials thing was a good idea. :p

star
02-08-2004, 02:55 AM

I wonder if Mac would even want it there. He knows about marketing, and I think sales might be a little thin with two big events so close together.

There are lots of places to have the tie in April. Florida and California have plenty of venues and plenty of tennis fans.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 02:57 AM
:lol: well they've played at Houston before for a tie, 2002 QF wasn't it? they played on grass, was at Houston right??? but they should give it to someone else though, Houston should stop hogging stuff:p
it's a home tie, but who choses the surface??

yes.

but I was mostly kidding anyway ;)

I don't know who picks the surface, how would one determine that? lol

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 03:01 AM
8 Choice of Ground

Choice of ground shall be determined in the following sequence: -

(i) If the previous Tie between the two Nations was played on a neutral ground, choice shall be decided by lot. If this is not applicable, then
(ii) If the previous Tie between the two Nations was not played for any reason, choice shall be decided by lot. If this is not applicable, then
(iii) If one Nation has been entitled to choice for its Tie with another Nation in 1970 Competition, or in any later Competition, the latter shall have choice on the occasion of the next meeting with that Nation. If this is not applicable, then
(iv) Choice shall be decided by lot.

WHAT does that mean??? lol..... if I'm even remotely understanding, assuming Sweden picked the surface last time, the US would pick it this time?

If it helps, the last time they played was in 1997, in Sweden, on indoor carpet. (Sweden won 5-0 incidentally :eek: )

star
02-08-2004, 03:24 AM
The rule you quoted there is the one that decides which country hosts the tie, and not the surface. The host country chooses the surface.

Countries alternate home and away. If they've never played before, it's decided by lot.

star
02-08-2004, 03:25 AM
Well, I guess technically, the U.S. could decide it wanted to play in Sweden, but to all intents and purposes, it means that it's held in the country where it wasn't held the last time the two nations played.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 03:37 AM
The host country chooses the surface.

That's what I thought, but then Naldo's question confuzzled me lol

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 04:17 AM
Here's a really great article/editorial from the Hartford paper... good to know that some people out there can still write interesting and engaging pieces :)
------
Pride? It Shouldn't Take A `Miracle'
February 8, 2004

MONTVILLE - They have ribbed each other to distraction during press conferences and seem intent on letting the world in on every joke. They had the bright idea to shave their heads and - buzz, buzz - one of People magazine's sexiest men on the planet now looks like the quarterback of the local high school football team.

Andy Roddick, U.S. Open champ and Mandy Moore's main squeeze, has known the Bryan twins since he was 8. Robby Ginepri and Roddick played on the same national junior team a decade ago. Mardy Fish lived with Roddick for a year.

"We're all buddies," Roddick said the other day at Mohegan Sun Arena.

On a weekend when "Miracle" - the story of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team - opened at theaters, it would be wholly inaccurate and disingenuous to suggest there was any sort of upset involved or that the first round of the 2004 Davis Cup transfixed large segments of the American public. The U.S. was heavily favored over Austria and the Bryan twins' 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 doubles victory for an insurmountable 3-0 lead confirmed the inevitable.

There remains a constant battle, in fact, to keep Americans interested in Davis Cup tennis. The floating annual schedule, punctuated by months of inactivity, is not a problem in places such as Australia and France. It's a much tougher sell in an American marketplace crammed throughout the sports calendar.

That being said, these U.S. Davis Cup teammates seem to be having the time of their lives. They haven't acted as if they had to be force-fed the idea of representing our country. They haven't acted as if they were doing anybody a favor by showing up. And when they went on a victory lap Saturday, unfurling the Stars and Stripes, there was an unmistakable joy. These guys are young and cool, but not so self-absorbed they left the rest of us out in the cold.

Alone, these guys are storylines ... Roddick is in a fight to regain the No. 1 ranking ... Ginepri must prove captain Patrick McEnroe made the right choice in taking him over James Blake of Fairfield ... the Bryans are relieved somebody, anybody is finally seeing double ...

Together, however, they became something more. The Americans haven't won the Davis Cup since 1995 and these buddies, who have wrapped their friendship in the flag, have made it easy to root for them.

Their game has been sharp and so have their tongues. Last week, Roddick teased Ginepri, the one guy who wouldn't shave his locks, about leaving his Australian Open earnings behind at a Melbourne casino. Roddick, who set a record with a 150 mph serve Friday, has been jabbed by Fish that the radar gun is fixed for him. After his Australian Open loss, Roddick, 21, fell out of the No. 1 ranking. McEnroe called him "an old hag." And when McEnroe pointed out to a reporter he thought he already had answered a question, Roddick told his boss to "stop with the attitude."

On and on it goes. After a leaping chest-bump to celebrate their victory, the Bryan twins - born two minutes apart - explained affectionately how they've played with each other since age 6 and can read each other's mind on the court. Then Mike Bryan stopped and smiled at the thought of the inevitable brotherly tiffs. "Of course," he said, "sometimes we go back to the room and box it out."

Professional tennis can be a lonely world. There are no home games, only the passport-pounding travel of country to country. The coach is around for matters tennis and a significant other may be there for matters intimate. Missing is the bond of the locker room, the shared experience of victory and defeat. Corner any former team athlete and ask him what he misses most, and the answer inevitably is, "The camaraderie of the locker room."

The collective "we" is a powerful force. And when that fraternity includes the chance to represent your country, the force increases exponentially. Some American players haven't always embraced that notion. These guys do. And by taking a strategic risk and using the world's No. 1 doubles team, McEnroe allowed his singles players to focus on their strength while engendering a team bond worthy of, say, the Aussies.

"If you don't enjoy the process, I don't think you're going to perform as well as you can," McEnroe said. "Second of all, you're not going to get these guys wanting to come back and I think we can get this group going on a five- or 10-year run."

The McEnroe family has done plenty for the Davis Cup in this country. The McEnroes think about it. They talk about improving it.

"It's hard to say something is wrong with it when you go to Australia and it's jam-packed, 15,000 fans," McEnroe said. "Same thing in France. It's a hugely successful regional event; I'd like to see it a bigger global event. I'd like to see a one-season, monthlong Davis Cup sometime after the U.S. Open, like the NCAA Tournament. With a Final Four at one place."

Do you hold out much hope for it?

"I don't," he said. "The [International Tennis Federation], which runs Davis Cup, doesn't feel there's a major problem. It does well; I think it could do better."

Patrick brings the McEnroe fire without brother John's inferno and is to be commended for nurturing a young team. McEnroe felt badly that rules prohibit Fish, the odd man out, from playing reverse singles today - even with the outcome decided. "Mardy has been really supportive," McEnroe said. "He saw `Miracle,' and was talking it up to us. He has us all pumped up for it."

"Our biggest goals are the Davis Cup and the Olympics," Mike Bryan said. "Some people don't know what Wimbledon is. You show the Olympic gold to anybody in the world, they know what it is."

Said Bob: "Doubles doesn't get the spotlight, so just getting on ESPN is huge for us. I slept like a baby before the Australian Open final and [Friday] night I was tossing and turning all night."

Playing for your country does that.

So does playing for your buddies.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 06:09 AM
not a big surprise but Andy might not play tomorrow:

"CAPTAIN McENROE: Unfortunately Marty can't play which I am a little disappointed by the rules because I would have loved to have had him play. He can't play because you have to have one of the four players who played. So I am a little disappointed by that rule, be honest. I think that's a mistake. I think Marty being here, I really wanted to give him the chance to play. So we'll talk about it tonight. I think Robby will play for sure. We'll see how Andy is feeling if he wants to go. I know these guys are pumped to play singles, so if we are going to throw one of them out there, we will do that."

star
02-08-2004, 03:25 PM
I really don't like the idea of the Davis Cup being held in one place with all the teams there.

I think that would completely take away the excitement of Davis Cup.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 04:04 PM
I agree... but I think something could be changed in the scheduling the way it is now, too.

star
02-08-2004, 05:07 PM
What do you propose?

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 05:12 PM
I don't know but playing the final Dec 3-5 just seems wrong. I read someone suggest somewhere, how about the SF right after Wimbledon and the Final when the SF is currently held.... that seems fair

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Yay Andy IS playing Melzer.... so guess we'll get to see this later on the live coverage... it's only a 3-setter but yeah... maybe b/c it doesn't count for anything Andy will try to put on a show for the crowd ;)

he opened with a break hehe yay

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Roddick hits another 150 mph serve in easy win

Sunday, February 8, 2004

(02-08) 11:46 PST UNCASVILLE, Conn. (AP) --

Opening and closing with record-tying 150 mph aces, Andy Roddick beat Jurgen Melzer 6-4, 6-2 Sunday to put the United States ahead of Austria 4-0 in a first-round Davis Cup series the Americans clinched the day before.

Robby Ginepri was to play Stefan Koubek in the last match of the best-of-five series. Sunday's singles matches were reduced to best-of-three sets.

Ginepri and Roddick won singles matches Friday when U.S. Open champion Roddick broke the service speed mark of 149 mph he shared with Greg Rusedski. Twins Bob and Mike Bryan beat Melzer and Julian Knowle in doubles Saturday.

The United States -- seeking its first Davis Cup title since 1995 -- will host Sweden in the quarterfinals. The Swedes beat defending champion Australia 4-1.

The other quarterfinals are: Belarus vs. Argentina, Switzerland vs. France, and Netherlands vs. Spain.

Roddick broke Melzer's serve to open their match Sunday. As the players switched sides, fans began chanting "One fifty-one! One fifty-one!" -- a reference to the service speed they wanted to see from Roddick.

He responded by hitting his first serve of the match at 150 mph, sending the ball bouncing into the stands. He took two bows as the crowd gave him a standing ovation. Play was held up for a few seconds while Melzer approached the bleachers to check on a woman who was hit in the shoulder by the ball.

After the match, Roddick spoke to the woman, apologizing and making sure she was OK.

Roddick lost a total of just 10 points in his nine service games during the match, finishing with 10 aces. The last came on match point. After a 150 mph delivery was called out, Roddick hit a second serve of the same pace and made Melzer whiff.

"His serving is huge. It's unbelievable," Melzer said. "I didn't think it was that fast. He almost killed someone in the 10th row."

Although the match's outcome wouldn't affect the winner of the series between the countries, Melzer took every point seriously. After one bad volley, he swatted a a ball into the upper deck, then tossed his racket down.

When the Austrian argued a couple of calls that went against him, Roddick smirked and muttered, "Lighten up, huh?"

J. Corwin
02-08-2004, 09:47 PM
I don't have the best reading comprehension at the moment so I'll just assume that the home team also chooses the surface.;)

I hope the DC QF will be somewhere nearby in Cali!

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 10:14 PM
They have to announce the locale for the QF by Feb. 23 I read somewhere....

more articles:
--------

Close-knit U.S. team sweeps Austria

Sunday, February 8, 2004

(02-08) 13:59 PST UNCASVILLE, Conn. (AP) --

Andy Roddick could have been forgiven for taking Sunday off. After all, the U.S. Davis Cup team already was assured a quarterfinal berth, and Roddick has individual goals to think about, such as reclaiming the No. 1 ranking.

Yet there he was on court, wearing red, white and blue while pounding aces at up to 150 mph in a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Jurgen Melzer.

And there he was again a half-hour later, at courtside, cheering teammate Robby Ginepri during another match with no real bearing on the first-round result against Austria. Ginepri beat Stefan Koubek 7-5, 6-2 to complete the Americans' 5-0 sweep.

Tennis talent aside, it's that enthusiasm for the Davis Cup and closeness among teammates that makes captain Patrick McEnroe confident the United States is capable of ending its longest Davis Cup title drought since the 1930s.

"It excites Patrick, like it does the rest of us, that we have a pretty young core of guys who are very willing and very eager to play," Roddick said. "So I only see our team getting better as the years go on."

Next up for the Americans as they try to win the country's 32nd Davis Cup title, and first since 1995, is a quarterfinal in April at home against Sweden. Florida, Arizona or Southern California are possible sites.

The other quarterfinal matchups are: Belarus vs. Argentina, Switzerland vs. France, and Netherlands vs. Spain.

Sweden advanced by knocking off defending champion Australia 4-1 in Adelaide. The Swedes have won the Davis Cup seven times, including three in the last decade, defeating the United States 5-0 in the 1997 final.

"They have a lot of experience, been around awhile, yet they have a couple of young guys who are coming up and who are excited," Roddick said. "They have a pretty good groove working there."

So does his team, stemming in large part from their camaraderie.

Roddick and the doubles team of twins Bob and Mike Bryan have known each other for more than a decade, and they went to a barber for matching buzz cuts ahead of the matches against Austria. Ginepri kept his long locks, but he did join raucous pingpong and arcade games during the week.

"There's a lot of frivolity with this team. They have a good time. They get along well. It's not anything that we talk about. It is real," McEnroe said.

"The bottom line is you have to be great tennis players. We all know that. But the fact that the guys enjoy it and like being around each other, and like being part of a team in a sort of a broader concept, is refreshing."

This group is pretty solid when it comes to the bottom line.

Roddick ended last season at No. 1, thanks in part to his U.S. Open title, and currently is No. 3. The Bryans are the world's top-ranked doubles team. Ginepri just cracked the top 25 in the rankings.

And it surely helps that they're close in age: Roddick and Ginepri are 21, the Bryans are 25.

Even the Austrians took note of the all-for-one attitude on the U.S. team.

"They seem very together. They are all close friends," Melzer said. "They enjoy playing Davis Cup, and if they compete like this, the whole way, they can win it."

Asked why he didn't simply rest Sunday, Roddick said: "I feel a pretty good obligation to the fans that make Davis Cup possible. I don't know what the future holds, but I am very committed to playing Davis Cup."

He opened Sunday's match by breaking Melzer's serve. As the players switched sides, fans began chanting "One fifty-one! One fifty-one!" -- a reference to the service speed they wanted to see from Roddick.

He responded by hitting his first serve of the match for an ace at 150 mph, sending the ball bouncing into the stands. That tied the record set by Roddick in his victory over Koubek on Friday, and the American took two bows during a standing ovation.

Play was held up momentarily while Melzer approached the bleachers to check on a woman who was hit in the shoulder by the ball. After the match, Roddick apologized to the woman, made sure she was OK and posed for a photograph with her.

Roddick lost a total of just 10 points in his nine service games during the match, finishing with 10 aces. The last came on match point. After a 150 mph delivery was called out, Roddick hit a second serve of the same pace and made Melzer whiff.

"His serving is huge. It's unbelievable," Melzer said. "I didn't think it was that fast. He almost killed someone in the 10th row."

Deboogle!.
02-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Yea it says so in this one:
--------
Roddick fires U.S. to quarter-final clash with Sweden
2004-02-08 21:39:41 GMT (Reuters)

By Stephen Wood

UNCASVILLE, Connecticut, Feb 8 (Reuters) - Andy Roddick unleashed a 241.4 kph second serve ace as a dream weekend for the United States culminated in a 5-0 Davis Cup whitewash over Austria on Sunday.

Roddick, who on Friday set a record for the world's fastest serve at 241.4 kph (150mph), matched it twice at the Mohegan Sun Arena as he blitzed Jurgen Melzer 6-4 6-2.

Robby Ginepri finished off the World Group first-round tie with a 7-5 6-2 victory over Stefan Koubek.

The U.S., who have not won the Davis Cup since 1995, face Sweden, who shocked holders Australia 4-1 on Sunday, in a home quarter-final tie.

"That was an upset," said Roddick. "Sweden will be tough because they have experience and can interchange their line-up, but the one thing I'm ecstatic about is that we will be playing at home."

Roddick helped the U.S. build an unbeatable 3-0 points lead over Austria in the first two days of the tie, as he and Ginepri won their opening singles rubbers on Friday before brothers Mike and Bob Bryan beat Melzer and Julian Knowle in the doubles on Saturday.

World number three Roddick was imperious again on Sunday during the dead rubbers, taking his Davis Cup singles record to 10-3.

One of his serves struck a woman, seated behind Melzer, in the chest, while another female supporter in the line of fire held her handbag up to her face as protection.

The American struck 10 aces in his 52-minute outing, the last of which was his 241.4 kph second serve on match point that Melzer swung at and missed.

The speed gun took a few seconds to register the moment, and Roddick said he was disappointed not to extend his own world record.

"I was going for it, I think that second serve was the best one I hit," he told reporters. "I do trust this (measuring) system... it's new but it is supposed to be more accurate than normal."

The U.S. have a 7-3 record over Sweden in Davis Cup play, but the last time the nations met was in the 1997 final in Gothenburg, when a Jonas Bjorkman-inspired Sweden won 5-0.

"I don't think my guys will remember that," Patrick McEnroe, the U.S. captain, said of his young team.

"Sweden will be extremely dangerous but I feel good about what we did this weekend. And the fact we get to choose the surface is important."

The United States Tennis Association has 15 days to announce the venue and surface for the quarter-final.

J. Corwin
02-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Haha, they were playing Mandy's "Have A Little Faith in Me" right after Andy won his match. I heard it on TV. lol

J. Corwin
02-09-2004, 12:18 AM
That second serve at match point looked the fastest Andy has served. Too bad it didn't register.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 12:27 AM
That serve had to have been over 150... it just looked it. that sucks that it didn't register. ah well.... at the end it just flashed a 150 but I don't think that's what it really was lol

and re: them playing Mandy..... LMFAO I was laughing pretty hard.

MisterQ
02-09-2004, 12:30 AM
It was frickin' fast!

I wonder if his opponents consider wearing athletic cups.

tangerine_dream
02-09-2004, 01:58 AM
Not only did the USA annihilate the Austrians at DC but Sweden took out Australia! :woohoo: Awesome! I think the US has a better chance of beating Sweden, and not only that but they'll be playing the next meeting in the US instead of having to go back to Oz. Oooh, I hope it's near me again. :banana:

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 02:01 AM
TANGYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how fast do you think that last serve was that didn't register? In person what was it like!!???!!!!!!!!!!

Havok
02-09-2004, 02:07 AM
btw, USA gets to chose the surface. just checked the raw sheet on their site, and the have USA chosing the grounds and surface for the tie :banana:

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 02:18 AM
lol yes Naldo we already figured out that whoever the home team is gets to pick the surface unless the teams haven't ever played before. It's ok though ;) *pats Naldo on back*

star
02-09-2004, 02:33 AM
Wait. That's not right. The home team always picks the surface even if the teams haven't played before.

The casting of lots is to determine who will be the home team......... not who picks the surface.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 02:34 AM
ooohhhhhhhh ok... thanks star :)

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 02:36 AM
Anyway, who else saw the match today and Andy's post-match interview? sorta made me feel fuzzy inside - very optimistic for the year. He better get the results to back it up!

tangerine_dream
02-09-2004, 02:38 AM
TANGYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how fast do you think that last serve was that didn't register? In person what was it like!!???!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, that last serve was a *monster*! Everyone was craning their necks to see the radar but it didn't compute. LOL. At least, not right away. After a few seconds passed it had registered 150.

I don't know what Brad's been feeding Andy lately but his serving all throughout DC was not human. :worship:

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 02:49 AM
nice article from NY Times:
-------

Roddick's Booming Serve Punctuates Whitewash of Austria in Davis Cup
By RON DICKER

Published: February 9, 2004

NCASVILLE, Conn., Feb. 8 — Other than bruising a spectator with another 150-mile-an-hour serve, Andy Roddick did nearly everything right Sunday when many would have excused him for not doing anything at all.

The United States had already clinched its first-round Davis Cup series against Austria, and Roddick had already pleased fans with a decisive victory on Friday. But he played anyway on Sunday and made quick work of his match-turned-exhibition against Jurgen Melzer, 6-4, 6-2, before a crowd of 5,936 at Mohegan Sun Arena. Robby Ginepri later beat Stefan Koubek, 7-5, 6-2, to complete a 5-0 shutout.

Advertisement

The scores did not matter. The circumstances did not matter. But to Roddick, the commitment did.

"I feel a pretty good obligation to the fans that make Davis Cup possible," he said. "To be honest, it's a pretty easy decision. Robby and I are on the same plane tonight to San Jose, so I wasn't leaving until he was leaving anyway."

Patrick McEnroe, the United States captain, and his crew hoped that the sweep, albeit over a weak Austrian team with no singles player ranked higher than 76th, would underscore a renewed commitment to Davis Cup.

A previous generation that included Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi developed a reputation for being reluctant to play. Roddick said he did not think that reputation was accurate, but he said, "We're a closer unit than that team was."

"I'm very committed to playing Davis Cup," Roddick said. "I love the guys I'm with. That has a lot to do with it."

Whether friendship matters will be further revealed when the United States plays host to Sweden in a quarterfinal April 9 to 11.

The site, which must be decided within 14 days, will probably be in Florida, California or Arizona, a spokesman for the United States Tennis Association said.

Sweden ousted the defending champion, Australia, 4-1, with Jonas Bjorkman and Thomas Enqvist winning the final two singles matches Sunday.

The last time the Swedes played the United States, they won the 1997 final, 5-0.

"These guys personally don't remember that, but I'll try to remind them of that in the coming months," McEnroe said.

That defeat was among a string of disappointments for the United States, which has not won the Davis Cup since 1995. McEnroe said he would like to build an era of dominance.

Roddick said: "Well, yeah, but we have got to get through this one first. You have to get to that first tier before you can become perennial favorites. Obviously, I think it excites Patrick like it does the rest of us that we have a pretty young core of guys who are very willing and very eager to play."

The quartet that played here — Roddick, ranked third; Ginepri, ranked 25th; and the doubles specialists Bob and Mike Bryan — appeared inseparable. They spoke of their bonhomie, telling tales of friendly battles in Ping-Pong and arcade games.

"It's not anything that's canned or that we talk about," McEnroe said. "It is real. I think that the more they enjoy themselves, I think it has a big effect on the court."

Ginepri said: "It's extremely important to have a good relationship on and off the court. It makes it more fun, more energetic, more positive."

McEnroe made no guarantees about who would play against Sweden. The only lock is Roddick, who said he thought that he had room for improvement.

Roddick has tinkered with his serve under his coach, Brad Gilbert. Although the controlled indoor environment here let him use brute force to blast two more serves of 150 m.p.h. on Sunday — he set the record in his match Friday — Roddick is thinking more location than speed.

"You can't have people sitting on your fastball," said Roddick, who delayed a news conference to apologize to Joan Sweeney of Tampa, Fla., who had Roddick's first serve of the match ricochet off her shoulder and neck. He posed for a picture with her, and she later wore an ice pack.

star
02-09-2004, 03:00 AM
Arizona!!!!

I'm gonna go if it's in Arizona. It will probably be Scottsdale.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 03:15 AM
awwwwwwwwwwwww it can't be the week *I* would be in Arizona lol

Plus in April it can get over 100º there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 04:42 AM
moooooooore articles lol
---------
Unified Americans face challenges

08 February, 2004 by Debra

Sweden gave the United States a present on Sunday when they upset Australia.

By Cynthia Faulkner
ESPN.com

UNCASVILLE, Conn. -- Sweden gave the United States a present on Sunday when they upset Australia. The Americans will play the Swedes at home in April rather than traveling to face the defending champion Aussies.

That's important because under U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe's leadership, the team hasn't lost a tie at home.

The heavily favored Americans swept Austria 5-0 at home this weekend. After losing in the first round last year overseas, McEnroe has his eyes set on bringing the Cup, which the United States has won 31 times, back home.

"It's nice to get through the first one, but certainly my goal coming into this year wasn't winning the first round," McEnroe said. "I think we can win it. I think we can win the whole thing. Obviously, it's going to get tougher each match, but I am happy to be moving forward. I didn't want to lose in the first round at home, that's for sure."

McEnroe wouldn't say what venues the United States is considering yet for the next tie on April 9-11. The surface, however, will likely be a slow hard court, he said.

"I'm ecstatic it is in the United States," Andy Roddick said. "And we don't have to play all the way down to Australia and then adjust to the time change, then come back and play the next week on clay and adjust to the time change, that would have been a little bit of a struggle. Anywhere in the States is good for me, compared to the other option."

Sweden, lead by captain and hall-of-famer Mats Wilander, won't necessarily be a pushover. Thomas Enqvist, ranked No. 78 in the world, upset No. 9 Mark Philippoussis of Australia and then No. 28 Jonas Bjorkman defeated Philippoussis in the reverse singles. Even more surprising, the Swedes took out one of the best doubles players in the world, Todd Woodbridge, who, along with Wayne Arthurs, fell in five sets.

"Sweden, they remind me a little bit of the French teams that have done well recently," Roddick said, "because they have good doubles players and people they can interchange according to the matchup. ... They are very sneaky in that aspect."

"Sweden is very tough," McEnroe agreed. "They have great tradition in Davis Cup. The last time they played us, they beat us five-zip in Davis Cup. So, these guys, personally, don't remember that, but I will try to remind them of it over the next couple of months."

It wasn't any match either. It was the final of Davis Cup in 1997 with Pete Sampras and Michael Chang (who lost to Bjorkman) playing for the United States.

"I think we are going to take advantage of our quickness, our mobility, which I think overall is a little better than theirs," McEnroe said. "Certainly, I think, we would be the favorite in the doubles, although they have a great doubles player in Bjorkman."

If the United States gets past Sweden, they'll face either Belarus, which defeated a Russian team without Marat Safin, or Argentina in an away match for the semifinals.

Argentina at home is a country no team wants to meet. Expect a raucous crowd and the tie to most likely be played on clay. Although the Argentines have an excellent fast-surface player in David Nalbandian, who is able to give Roddick a hard time. Argentina also has the No. 4 player in the world in Guillermo Coria, a top-20 player in Augstin Calleri and, inside the top 35, Mario Zabaleta and Gaston Gaudio.

On the other side of the draw for a potential final opponent is Switzerland and the one-man team of Roger Federer.

So, McEnroe's hope of winning it all this year will not be an easy task. Helping him out, though, is a tight-knit group of Americans who want to play and win.

"I don't know what the future holds, but I am very committed to playing Davis Cup," Roddick said. "I love the guys that I'm with. That has a lot to do with it for me, as well. I think we are a lot more -- we are a closer unit than that team was. So I really feel an obligation not only to play for my country but to play for the other guys, as well."

"Andy gets the whole thing," said McEnroe, addressing why Roddick played a match that meant nothing on Sunday. "He gets the big picture. He gets his responsibility to the game. ... I think he's also got his sights on trying to make some Davis Cup history in his career. So, he has got to win a lot of matches to do that. I think he knows that."

He is counting on Roddick and doubles specialists Mike and Bob Bryan to help them win. The final singles spot on the team will continue to rotate through James Blake, Taylor Dent, Mardy Fish and Robby Ginepri, depending on who is playing best at the time on the surface chosen for the next tie.

McEnroe was happy about the breakthrough Ginepri had by winning a tough five-set match on Friday.

"In a way, I'm sorta pleased that Robby had to have the match he had," McEnroe said. "Looking back, I am sure he's not, but I think ... it's a big step for him to win a match like that, to be under that type of pressure and come through. And not play his best early in the match and come back and finish as strong as he did."

Ginepri, for one, is in.

"Any time Pat gives me a shot, I am going to say, 'Yes,'" Ginepri said. "I am always looking for opportunities. He knows that I am there for him any time he needs me. I think that's the case with the three or four other guys are, as well, and that's a plus for Patrick, whenever he wants to go to somebody, he knows that they are going to be there."

Their unity even impressed Austria's Jurgen Melzer.

"They seem very together," Melzer said. "They are all close friends, even Mardy Fish was here the whole week, so I think they enjoy playing Davis Cup, and if they compete like this, the whole thing, they can win it."

"It was a dominating performance overall for us," McEnroe said. "That gives me a lot of confidence. Obviously, it is going to get a lot tougher from here, but I'm pretty pleased."

Cynthia Faulkner is the tennis editor for ESPN.com.
-----------

Slow hardcourt, eh???? I'd think they'd want to put them on something as fast as possible, no? I mean, Rebound Ace didn't work out too well for the Aussies ;)

star
02-09-2004, 04:49 AM
awwwwwwwwwwwww it can't be the week *I* would be in Arizona lol

Plus in April it can get over 100º there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm betting on Florida or California.

I agree...... the weather could be brutal, and Jonas has already shown that he can stand up to brutal heat AND that he can beat Andy.

So, I wouldn't be messing around, if I were Pat.

star
02-09-2004, 04:49 AM
Hey!

Maybe it will be in Austin!!!

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 05:37 AM
haha that would be hilarious if it were in Austin, or Florida for that matter since most of those guys live(d) in FL for a time. CA would be fine too, but AZ in April just has bad idea written all over it. I've been there when it's been 100, in mid-April it's seriously not fun.

Nishy
02-09-2004, 05:41 AM
I am impressed by Andy. When I watched Andy vs. Melzer match, Melzer's return was called 'out' by lineperson but Andy soon corrected that was 'in'. He has nice sportsmanship. Have anybody seen this? I hope it is not my misunderstanding.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 05:47 AM
I don't remember that but I probably wasn't paying all that close attention. Do you remember where it was during the match?

Nishy
02-09-2004, 05:58 AM
I don't remember exactly all but I am sure it was Andy's service game in the second set. And I heard the commentator said that Andy soon corrected that return was in and the point was in Melzer, score was 0-15.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 06:00 AM
OK cool.

Well I'm about to go to bed now but I've still got the match on tape from making videos for our site, so I'll look through and see what I can find tomorrow for you :)

But anyway, andy is a good sportsman, despite what some of the people in General Messages think. I've seen him support his opponents on calls more than once. :shrug: whatever, we know the truth :)

Nishy
02-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Yes, we know the truth :)
Thank you for checking. I also recorded the tape and I will make sure too.
I think some people in GM are very jealous of Andy's success.

Nishy
02-09-2004, 07:01 AM
I may misunderstand this a little. Sorry.
I watched this match that I recorded and it was 1-2 in second set and not 0-15. And I am not sure Andy said that return was in. Because chair umpire immediately corrected and it seems Andy just agreed.
I need more study English... :p

J. Corwin
02-09-2004, 11:38 AM
lol nishy. I don't remember Andy correcting a call either. I do remember him agreeing to an umpire overrule, or at least being ok with it. lol

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 03:27 PM
If Andy was having issues with line calls during a DC dead rubber at home, I would've seriously started to worry about him LOL!!!

J. Corwin
02-09-2004, 06:46 PM
lol well he's a competitive spirit

tangerine_dream
02-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Getty Images doesn't have any photos of Andy from Davis Cup? :confused: Bet they're sorry now that he's broken the serve record. :devil:

Deboogle!.
02-09-2004, 06:52 PM
yea Getty just plain wasn't there at all. But tangy I've got all the pics I could find up in the RO gallery so check out and see if you're in any ;)

Here's andy's press conference from yesterday :)
----------

2004 DAVIS CUP 1st ROUND
AUSTRIA vs. USA
UNCASVILLE, CONNECTICUT

February 8, 2004

A. RODDICK/J. Melzer
6-4, 6-2

ANDY RODDICK

Q. She is okay, Andy (girl who was hit with 150 mph serve)?

ANDY RODDICK: She's all right, yeah.

Q. What did you say to her?

ANDY RODDICK: I just said I was sorry. You know, I just wanted to make sure she was okay.

Q. Is it okay like to look ahead to Sweden a little bit. Tell me what do you think.

ANDY RODDICK: Obviously I think it's an upset, Australia at home, you know, they have a pretty strong record, going into this year they were probably the favorites picking somebody to try to win the whole thing, obviously as defending champions, two topi-tier singles players and probably the best doubles player of all time. They are a very good team. Sweden, they remind me a little bit of the French teams that have done well recently because they have good doubles players and people they can interchange and according to the matchup, kind of like Bjorkman didn't play the first day of singles because they didn't know if it will match up that well; then against Philippoussis because I think he matches up a little bit better than some other guys. They are very sneaky in that aspect. They have a lot of experience, been around a while yet they have a couple of young guys who are coming up and who are excited. I think they have a pretty good groove working there. Like I said, they can interchange and according to the matchups and that makes them dangerous.

Q. Why is it that you have been able to hit three 150 mile an hour serves the last three days, when before you'd be capping at 149, eating your Wheaties?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I am not sure. Obviously indoors there are no elements involved, probably feel like you can get a better hit on the ball. I think, you know, unlike the court surface in Australia where it really grabs spins and whatnot, you want to -- flat serve in this quick of a court, is probably your best bet or my best bet anyway, maybe I have just been going for flat serves a bit more this week.

Q. Going back to Sweden, the week between Houston and Miami, where would you like to play?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. We have been -- we were kind of just throwing ideas around, but I am not sure. It's -- I am ecstatic it is in the United States. And we don't have to play all the way down to Australia and then adjust to the time change, then come back and play the next week on clay and adjust to the time change, that would have been a little bit of a struggle. Anywhere in the States is good for me, compared to the other option.

Q. Does your playing today, really nothing at stake, does that sort of reflect your commitment to David Cup or do you feel beholden to fans who paid money?

ANDY RODDICK: Obviously I feel a pretty good obligation to the fans that make Davis Cup possible. To be honest it's a pretty easy decision, Robby and I are on the same plane tonight to San Jose so I wasn't leaving until he was leaving anyways. (Laughs) so I am sitting there and might as well get a sweat in and work the legs. I don't think I will play for a couple of days, I probably won't play until Wednesday in San Jose. I have a couple of days. I feel pretty healthy. I feel good. So I am -- I wasn't really weary of any injuries or anything. There really wasn't a reason for me not to play.

Q. Your game compared to last year to the Open to now?

ANDY RODDICK: It's a process. But I think it's still building momentum. I am nowhere near a finished project by any means, I know that. That's what keeps me motivated kind of maybe on a daily basis. Last year I was getting better. Felt like I was getting better, but I think I am just a lot more confident. I am a lot more confident in my shots. I don't really have any panic out there anymore. I am pretty calm. I feel most of the time that I am playing my match and kind of doing pretty much what I want to out there. Even when I lost to Marat I thought I played really well. I hit the ball really well. It's nice to see the things that you try to work on kind of building and show on the stage.

Q. Do you think the Davis Cup format could be changed or improved? Some people have talked about shortening it so it's not spread out over the full year.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, you know, everything can be improved. Schedules can be improved. That's not my area. My job is to did out and play tennis matches. Pretty much my opinion is irrelevant when it comes to matters like that.

Q. Would it make it easier for top players, do you think?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, but I mean, it obviously would be easier, but one of the things that kind of makes Davis Cup special is the fact that you know, it creates different scenarios like such like what happened yesterday, just totally changing the face of, you know, going all the way down to Australia or, you know, staying here, I think that's kind of what makes it a little intriguing.

Q. Do you see yourself getting to a point where Pete and Andre did, where it became too much for them to try and balance Davis Cup with their other schedules?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't think so. I don't know. I don't know what the future holds, but I am very committed to playing Davis Cup. I love the guys that I am with. That has a lot to do with it for me as well. I think we are a lot more -- we are a closer unit than that team was. So I really feel an obligation not only to play for my country but to play for the other guys as well.

Q. When you were growing up did it ever bother you that those guys didn't perhaps have the passion for Davis Cup that you do?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't buy it with Andre because he was, you know, a Davis Cupper for so long, you guys have to remember they won Davis Cup titles, you know, and it's not like I hear those questions, you know, if someone were sitting here and they didn't know anything about Agassi and Sampras and Davis Cup they would think that they never played when in fact that they did. But they just made a career choice later on, that maybe they can get another year or two, three out of their careers if they maybe took a back seat and let the young guys trying to have a crack at it.

Q. Did you try and work on some facets of your game today? I noticed you were changing speeds a lot. What were you trying to do?

ANDY RODDICK: Speed on --

Q. On your serve. Changing up?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, it's kind of been an evolving process. I know that I have always been able to hit the big serve. The things I have been working on is on my slice serve to get it to keep trailing away, you know, and make them as wide as possible. Being able to hit a kick serve off a slice toss. Just little things to -- my goal is to be able to hit every serve well, and, you know, I am getting there, I think. I think I am really learning, you know, Brad came in he's like, okay, you are a great fastball pitcher, but you need to learn how to pitch a better game, you know, you can't always have people sitting on your fast ball.

Q. Opportunity like today a good chance for you to be able to do that where nothing is riding on the match?

ANDY RODDICK: Yes and no. I market it on it anyways. I think even in the first match I was mixing up my paces pretty well throwing in some kicks and slices, but, you know, today I just wanted to go out there try to strike the ball well. That was it. I wasn't really going out there, okay I am going to use this as a practice session, I have practice sessions where I can do that. (Laughs). I was just trying to go out there and play like a normal match.

Q. Yesterday Patrick said the goal was not to win the Davis Cup just this year but to win it every year. Do you guys have the same approach as a team to try to get back to that level where you are the favored and could be favored every single year?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, yeah, but we have got to get through this one first. You have to get to that first tier before you can become perennial favorites. Obviously, I think it excites Patrick like it does the rest of us that we have a pretty young core of guys, who are very willing and very eager to play, so I only see our team getting better as the years go on.

Q. Are you fully committed through this Davis Cup year?

ANDY RODDICK: Absolutely.

Q. In the first set you said it's a dead rubber lighten up, what does that mean?

ANDY RODDICK: I almost felt like he was really down or something, that he was out there and, you know, I think the fans just wanted to see us have fun, and there was a lot of calls being questioned and I just wanted it to be kind of just mellow out and let's have fun and play a match. I didn't -- maybe I shouldn't have said anything, but, you know, I was just hoping we can play the match. Just play it in good spirit.

Q. How much did your approach change today with the match not in question?

ANDY RODDICK: Obviously we are very relaxed in warm-ups today. There wasn't really the intensity or the buzz in the air that there normally is. But as far as when I got out there, I still tried to play our game plan, still I wasn't taking points off, or anything like that. Once you get out there and you are out there, you try to play well. It's pretty simple.

Q. You talked about excitement a minute ago. Do you feel pressure with all the people looking in at tennis and saying this is the guy who is bringing excitement to men's tennis, bringing the excitement back?

ANDY RODDICK: There's always pressure, that's what professional sports is about. You can always find pressure in one form or another. I am excited that I have the opportunity to maybe to reach out and maybe bring new tennis fans in. If I can make a difference as an individual, I mean, we don't have, you know, as tennis players, being an individual sport, I have said it before, we don't have a huge marketing team behind us, you know, doing it so, I think it's up to the players to promote the game. I am happy with that responsibility.

Q. Fans like the 16 year old girls up in the back with "go Roddick" on their t-shirts that sort of thing, did you see those kids?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, I have seen them before. It's cool. I hope they are new tennis fans. I hope they enjoyed it. Maybe they will start playing, who knows. Whenever we bring fans into the game that's the whole point, if we can grow it as much as possible, that's the goal.

Q. That last serve did you try to go out --

ANDY RODDICK: I was going for it. It didn't register. That was about the best one I have hit.

Q. They later said it was 150, the second serve.

ANDY RODDICK: Damn it. (Laughter).

Q. Do you trust these guns?

ANDY RODDICK: Supposedly these are -- they have come up with this new system where they have cameras or radars placed everywhere; not just one behind the court, I think that's why you have seen the difference with the out-wide service measuring a little higher because it's not just shot from one spot. They actually have cameras all-around. It's a more sophisticated system supposedly. It's supposed to be even more accurate than normal.

tangerine_dream
02-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Can anyone tell me if ESPN showed Andy's first match with Kubek on Saturday? It should've run on Friday but Ginepri's match ran too long and I know ESPN didn't show it that day. So I thought maybe they would've shown the match on Saturday.

I'm asking because the match isn't on my tape. :sad:

Deboogle!.
02-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Yep babe they did show it Saturday, from 4-3 on in the first set.

tangerine_dream
02-10-2004, 12:55 AM
:bigcry:

Deboogle!.
02-10-2004, 12:57 AM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwww :hug:

How come you didn't get it on tape? Or did you just not set your vcr to tape the dubs?

tangerine_dream
02-10-2004, 03:02 AM
I did but I must've entered in the wrong start time! Maaaan! :(

Deboogle!.
02-10-2004, 03:53 AM
awwwwwwwwwwwww :sad:

J. Corwin
02-10-2004, 11:41 AM
aw poor tangy

tangerine_dream
02-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Oh yes please dry your crocodile tears guys. ;)

MisterQ
02-10-2004, 05:28 PM
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~nickt/croc/site2/images/crocheadermed.gif

star
02-10-2004, 05:30 PM
You are amazing with these pictures.

:worship:

Deboogle!.
02-10-2004, 06:50 PM
No kidding...

Q, HOW do you do it!?!?

Deboogle!.
02-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Pics from the ceremony they did at the Siebel Open

Andy looks really frumpy next to the others in jeans and nice shoes....

Havok
02-10-2004, 11:54 PM
OMG DIES:haha:
*note Ginepri's shoes*
:haha::haha::haha:

star
02-11-2004, 02:48 AM
What's wrong with his shoes?

I think they look nice.

Deboogle!.
02-11-2004, 02:54 AM
I do too, star.... I think Andy is embarrassingly underdressed lol

Havok
02-11-2004, 03:05 AM
blah i dont like his shoes:p and Andy is'n embarassingly underdressed, did you expect him to coach BG with nice pants and a shirt on? and it was held right after the ceremony, so no time for a clothing change:p

Deboogle!.
02-11-2004, 03:11 AM
a person can't coach in jeans?? :confused:

Havok
02-11-2004, 03:21 AM
bah, its all about comfort, and it's not like he gives a shit anyways:lol:

J. Corwin
02-11-2004, 05:06 AM
Their clothes clash. But that's alright. ;)

Deboogle!.
02-11-2004, 05:37 AM
Delray serves up bid for Davis Cup matches

By Dave George, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 11, 2004

The Delray Beach Tennis Center is submitting a site bid for April's Davis Cup quarterfinal matches between the United States and Sweden, an opportunity for Andy Roddick to hold court within a short drive of his Boca Raton home.

The timing is good because the Davis Cup dates, April 9-11, immediately follow the Nasdaq-100 Open, a major tournament that already will have the world's top players assembled at Key Biscayne and competing on the same outdoor, hard-court surface that is used at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.

Rounding up the money on short notice is a serious challenge, however.

The United States Tennis Association didn't contact Brahm Dubin, whose JCD Sports Group manages the Delray complex, until Monday. The finalized bid is due Feb. 18.

That leaves a week to find the estimated $200,000 in sponsorships and services needed to make a legitimate run at the event.

"We're very excited to be making a bid," Dubin said. "We absolutely will work with the Palm Beach County Sports Commission and would love it to be a partnership with the county and the city of Delray Beach. What we need are sponsor dollars. A public-private partnership is how this usually works."

Until Roddick and the rest of the U.S. team defeated Austria last weekend in a first-round match at Uncasville, Conn., there was no guarantee that this round of matches would be necessary.

Now the rush is on to secure a site that is suited to the American team's strengths and provide a close and noisy crowd to maximize the home-court advantage. The 5-0 sweep of Austria was accomplished in a 6,400-seat indoor arena at the Mohegan Sun casino midway between Boston and New York.

A USTA spokesman said Tuesday it is premature to discuss specific bid cities, how many there are and which ones are on the short list for the April dates.

There is a sense at the 10-year-old, 8,200-seat Delray center that the USTA owes them one.

The Davis Cup Final was contracted to be played there in 1998, with an estimated economic impact of $13 million to $15 million for Palm Beach County. The U.S. team was upset by Italy in the semifinal round at Milwaukee, however, and so the final was moved accordingly from Delray Beach to Milan.

The wishes of top players are taken seriously in selecting Davis Cup sites. Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi skipped that Milwaukee semifinal, in part, because their stated preference for a West Coast venue was not honored.

Roddick, No. 3 in the world and the defending U.S. Open champion, should have no argument with a site in his home county.

"I know we came very close a couple of years ago, and I think the USTA and the powers that be in tennis look at us as a viable facility," Delray Beach Mayor Jeff Perlman said. "I also don't think it hurts to have Andy Roddick involved. He practically lives next door. Another thing is that Chris Evert hosts her charity event here every year with former President Bush as a participant. They have provided very intense Secret Service protection for the former president so, security-wise, the facility is sound."

Pam Gerig-Bland, executive director of the Palm Beach County Sports Commission, said her group wants to help but has already committed its budget to previously scheduled events such as the USA Junior Olympic baseball tournament, the Optimist International junior golf championship and the National Horse Show.

"It's a great event and we'd like to see it here," Gerig-Bland said. "Our challenge and everybody's challenge is they're looking for big dollars and is that possible in such a short time?"

star
02-11-2004, 01:17 PM
The wishes of top players are taken seriously in selecting Davis Cup sites. Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi skipped that Milwaukee semifinal, in part, because their stated preference for a West Coast venue was not honored.

I hope Andy doesn't turn out to be this kind of prima donna.

star
02-11-2004, 01:19 PM
I think "USA Skewers the Swedes" sounds good.

But I don't know if I'll be able to cheer for the USA in this tie, because............. I've got a lot of favorites playing on the other side. ;)

I know I'm a terrible traitor, but I live with it. :)

Havok
02-11-2004, 01:57 PM
pfffff star:rolleyes: i don't think Andy'll give a shit where it's played in the US. i just think they're all relieved that they don't have to take a long flight to Australia!

star
02-11-2004, 02:20 PM
I agree with you, Naldo. So far Andy hasn't shown any signs of being a prima donna and that's one of the reasons I like him.

Maybe I should have said: Thank God, Andy isn't this kind of prima donna. " :)

Havok
02-11-2004, 02:40 PM
;)

Deboogle!.
02-11-2004, 03:35 PM
After Andy beat Melzer he said something like "I don't care where it is, it's in the US and that's all that matters" so yea, I can't see him making some stink about having it near FL. I would be nice to have it in Delray not only because Andy lives near there but so do Mary and James, Robby's from Georgia..... it'd be a home place for many of the guys, plus nice and convenient after the Nasdaq-100 Open. But it doesn't sound like they have the money to please the USTA.

tangerine_dream
02-11-2004, 04:04 PM
bunk, go wake up Proph and tell her to read my match report. I'm getting sick to my stomach waiting to hear her comments! :scared: :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-11-2004, 04:13 PM
she says she replied to you via email LOL!!!! She likes it no worries!! :)

tangerine_dream
02-11-2004, 04:23 PM

Deboogle!.
02-25-2004, 04:28 PM
no official announcement, yet, but this is on the DC site under the tie info:

Delray Beach Tennis Centre, Delray Beach, USA
Stadium Capacity: 8200
09 April - 11 April 2004
Surface: Hard (Plexipave) - Outdoors

this will definitely help Andy, Mardy, James, and Robby, two of which are almost sure to be on the team lol. They all either live or practice within a stone's throw.

tangerine_dream
02-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Goody! Delray Beach will definitely be a big help for them. They will need all the help they can get, because after the Swedes took over Kroger St Jude (after 13 Americans crashed out :eek: ), I'm starting to think that maybe instead of us making Swedish meatballs, they'll be throwing some American hamburgers on the barby. :bolt:

Deboogle!.
02-25-2004, 04:57 PM
LOL! Well ok, I don't think James will be on the team after the few weeks Mardy has had. Mardy still has a 2-1 record over Johansson I believe, and he was EXHAUSTED (and had a pretty sore right arm) by the time he played him last week. And we know Andy was hurt. The two swedes may still have beaten Mardy and Andy if they'd been 100% but clearly neither of them was. So I think it'll be different in the Boys' home turf in April ;)
-------

U.S. Davis Cup Quarterfinal Set For Delray Beach
By Tennis Week
02/26/2004

The USTA has selected Delray Beach, Florida as the site for its Davis Cup tie against Sweden in a quarterfinal clash that promises to be no day at the beach for an American squad continuing its quest for its 32nd Davis Cup championship.

The tie will be staged Easter weekend — April 9-11th — at the Delray Beach Tennis Center, which also hosts the International Tennis Championships, an ATP tournament set for September 13-19th.

The USTA is expected to formally announce Delray Beach as the Davis Cup site later today.

The tie will be staged the week after the Nasdaq-100 Open concludes on Key Biscayne. Though Delray Beach's bid was less than half of the $250,000 rumored rights fee the USTA reportedly requested to host the tie, the site's proximity to Key Biscayne, combined with the fact that prominent American players Andy Roddick, Mardy Fish, James Blake and Robby Ginepri either live or train in Florida, makes it a sensible selection.

The United States is seeking to reach the Davis Cup final four for the second time in the past three years, but it won't be easy.

Last week, Sweden's Joachim Johansson dismissed both Blake and Fish in a commanding serving performance that saw him hold serve in 55 consecutive games and slam 78 aces in sweeping five matches to capture his first career tournament title in Memphis.

If Johansson's dominance wasn't enough of a jarring jolt of what the Americans will face in April, veteran Swede Thomas Enqvist, who cites Bjorn Borg as his tennis hero, looked reborn in scoring a 7-6(8), 6-3 victory over the top-seeded Roddick in the Memphis quarterfinals before falling to Nicolas Kiefer in the semis.

Approaching his 30th birthday on March 13th, Enqvist lacks the legs to sustain long-running rallies, but his Davis Cup performance in Australia and his win over Roddick show he still has the strength to out slug the heavy hitters from the baseline.

Of course, comparing the pressure posed in a best-of-three set format of an International Series event to the best-of-five set of a Davis Cup clash is like comparing the strength of a solar-powered flashlight to the sun, but Swedish captain Mats Wilander believes a young American team is vulnerable.

"They have a really young team," Wilander said. "They haven't won it yet. Andy Roddick hasn't been up there yet. I think there's added pressure playing for as big a country as America. I'm sure they're expecting and hoping for a win in Davis Cup pretty soon so there's a lot of pressure, but that the same time these guys are professionals. Roddick's won a major and he was No. 1 in the world."

In Wilander's view, an opening day singles split will turn the tie in Sweden's favor.

"If we can get off to a decent start and can get a win in singles on the first day, then I really think we become the favorites," Wilander said.

J. Corwin
02-26-2004, 01:43 AM
Oh? So the Bryan Bros. won't help make the U.S. the favorites then?

Deboogle!.
02-26-2004, 02:57 AM
lol guess not :o

star
02-26-2004, 04:01 AM
The trash talking begins!!

Never trust the nice guy Swedes. They are evil! :devil:

J. Corwin
02-26-2004, 10:54 AM
star, I haven't seen you use that smilie for a long time.

Havok
02-26-2004, 06:34 PM
why are they playing up those victories over Fish and Andy so much? ok there's just no way in hell Blake is getting on this team if PAtrick wants to win this round. sorry, but it's the truth. Enqvist beat a Roddick with back spasms, and a Roddick who never served over 130 mph and was spraying balls everywhere. and it STILL was a close match 7-6, 6-3. ok Joachim deserves more credit, he did beat Fish (albeit tired Fish was but still) and beat Blake 2 times in the past 2 weeks(doesn't matter because Balek will be a bench warmer), BUT the fact that he went on to win it is very good. the doubles could come in handy during this tie, and the Bryan brothers should beat whomever Bjorkman teams up with. yeah Bjorkman defeated the Aussies in doubles, but they only had one true top doubles player in each team, while the BRayn brothers are both top dubs players. imo it'll all come down to the 1st day. i don't think the doubles will be very crucial to the outcome, but it will still be an important match. if there's a blowout in the 1st day by the Americans, they'll win it 4-1. if not i say the final score will be 3-2 dunno who'll win it

Deboogle!.
02-26-2004, 06:45 PM
If they split day 1, Dubs will be very important. If not, it probably won't matter much, I agree.

and I agree that they're blowing it a little out of proportion, however it's still going to be a really tough draw regardless.

Havok
02-26-2004, 10:10 PM
oh no kidding it'll be tough, but they are blowing it out of proportion

star
02-27-2004, 05:14 AM
Oh, the Swedes haven't got a chance. The U.S. is home free. They need to start looking toward their next opponent.

It's a bunch of washed up has beens and one untried rookie.

Piece of coffee cake. :)

Deboogle!.
02-27-2004, 05:23 AM
:nerner:

J. Corwin
02-27-2004, 09:48 AM
hehe

tangerine_dream
02-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Fri, Feb. 27, 2004

DAVIS CUP

Roddick is right at home
Delray Beach offers some players on the U.S. team a real home-court advantage as they prepare to face Sweden in April.

BY MICHELLE KAUFMAN
mkaufman@herald.com

Andy Roddick and U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe were thrilled to hear Delray Beach was selected Wednesday to host the quarterfinal between the U.S. and Sweden from April 9-11.

Roddick, ranked No. 3 in the world and the top singles player on the four-man U.S. squad, will have a short commute from his Boca Raton home and is expecting many familiar faces in the crowd. He spent his teenage years in Boca Raton and the past few years playing in the International Tennis Championships on those courts.

''I'm really psyched,'' Roddick said. ``To have a home crowd supporting us is going to be very important. I expect to have lots of friends and family since we're playing in my backyard.''

The three-day, five-match ''tie'' will include two singles matches Friday, a doubles match Saturday, and two singles matches Sunday.

WAITING GAME

McEnroe is waiting to see which other American player is hottest in late March before naming the second singles player. Mardy Fish, who grew up in Vero Beach and went to Boca Prep with Roddick, is being considered, as are Robby Ginepri, James Blake, Taylor Dent and Boca Raton native Vince Spadea. Twins Bob and Mike Bryan are expected to play doubles.

''It would be great to play because it would be like playing for a hometown crowd,'' said Fish, who has been training at Saddlebrook near Tampa with Blake. ``I don't know how [McEnroe] decides who is going to play. . . . Obviously, he doesn't go by rankings or anything like that, he goes by how you are playing.''

Ginepri played the first round against Austria, and the U.S. won 5-0.

McEnroe said Delray Beach will offer the perfect setting. It is the first time Davis Cup comes to the East coast of Florida.

`BEST CONDITIONS'

''Playing outdoors in Delray Beach on a hard court at a world-class facility provides the best conditions for our team to take on a formidable team from Sweden,'' McEnroe said. ``The last three times Davis Cup was played in Florida, the United States went on to win. We're looking to prove that the road to U.S. Davis Cup titles runs through Florida.''

Delray Beach is attractive for this quarterfinal because it falls one week after the NASDAQ-100 in Key Biscayne, limiting players' travel.

Former U.S. Davis Cup player Aaron Krickstein lives in Boca Raton and attended Thursday's announcement.

''I never had the pleasure of playing a home event like these guys will have here in Delray, but I'm sure it will be a great atmosphere,'' Krickstein said. ``Davis Cup is completely different from normal tournaments. You're playing for your country, and fans are allowed to make noise. I'm sure they won't be as crazy as the fans in Europe and South America, but they'll be spirited.''

The U.S. players' camaraderie is admirable and good for tennis, Krickstein said.

''Davis Cup is very important to these guys, and that was something that was lost in the '90s with Pete [Sampras] and Andre [Agassi],'' he said. ``Andre played some, but Pete never made a commitment, and if the top player in America isn't going to play, how can you promote it to the American fans?''

Tickets -- sold only as three-day passes -- go on sale by telephone 10 a.m. Monday. They range from $90 to $375. Call (888) 484-USTA.

MisterQ
02-27-2004, 05:15 PM
''Davis Cup is very important to these guys, and that was something that was lost in the '90s with Pete [Sampras] and Andre [Agassi],'' he said. ``Andre played some, but Pete never made a commitment, and if the top player in America isn't going to play, how can you promote it to the American fans?''

It's true that Pete wasn't especially into Davis Cup.

But his tremendous performance against Russia in the 1995 Davis Cup Final, including an epic five-setter against Chesnokov, where he basically won the cup for us, on CLAY of all things(!), deserves mention. Pete was actually quite disheartened that their great performance didn't get too much press back home.

OMG did I just stick up for Pete? What's happening to me?! :scared: :bolt: ;)

Deboogle!.
02-27-2004, 05:28 PM
lol Q

*hears Twilight Zone theme*

J. Corwin
02-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Pete was able to summon his best when his heart was in it.

Action Jackson
02-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Plenty of people forget Pete's performance in Russia when he virtually won the DC for the US.

Though he had many ordinary performances as well come on Sampas shouldn't be losing to Corretja on grass. He got smashed in DC final in France as well.

Roddick has to win both singles for the US to make it through the next round. I mean he loves playing for his country more than most players, so that plus he is at home adds another factor to his advantage.

The Swedes are not intimidated by any of the other singles players,and would easily fancy their chances against whoever. The doubles could go either way, and Björkman is one of the best doubles players and easily matches up with the Bryans, it depends on how Pim-Pim plays.

Now it's time for the US team to start producing the goods consistently at DC level.

WyveN
02-29-2004, 10:58 AM
I would say it is 60-40 in Americans favour

Pete certainly gave DC his all in 1995 and it was a Federer like performance, I understand him being a little pissed off after it was taken for granted back in the US despite what was a herculean effort

Mark P never got much recognition for his heroics in the DC final last year either which perhaps contributed to his flat performance this year.

star
02-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Don't get me started on Pete and his pouting over D.C. NOBODY in the U.S. has ever gotten much recognition for DC heroics. (And got to say that Pete's record in D.C. is spotty at best.) Those that have gotten recognition are the ones who have put their heart and soul into it. So, I'm hoping that Andy will be like another McEnroe in that respect.

Pete's performance in D.C. was all about Pete's character and had nothing to do with the American public.

WyveN
02-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Don't get me started on Pete and his pouting over D.C. NOBODY in the U.S. has ever gotten much recognition for DC heroics.

That is exactly the problem that Pete was pointing out. The general public did not care about his DC achievement in 1995.

(And got to say that Pete's record in D.C. is spotty at best.)

A 19-9 record including a couple of defaults through injury and a few losses extremely early in his career.
His commitment to DC is spotty but his record is good.
Only embarassing blunder was losing to Corretja on grass but to put things into perspective, he lost to Bastl at Wimbledon the same year.

Those that have gotten recognition are the ones who have put their heart and soul into it.

Those Americans that have gotten recognition are those that played during a period where the average American sportsfan cared about DC mainly due to the Borg-McEnroe rivalry.

Pete's performance in D.C. was all about Pete's character and had nothing to do with the American public.

That is your unbiased opinion

star
02-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Your opinions are as biased as mine. You think Pete puts no foot wrong. That might be even more biased than mine.

Pete is all about Pete.

McEnroe was the first highly ranked player in many years to play for U.S. Davis Cup. He single handedly rescued the U.S. from the depths when it slipped out of the top group. He played under hostile conditions, both singles and doubles, and carried the U.S. back to the top. And I am FAR from being a McEnroe fan. I never liked him as a player. But I recognize that he had D.C. as a priority and gave his energies to that.

Plus, Borg retired a year after McEnroe became a top player, so, it wasn't all about the Borg McEnroe rivalry.

star
02-29-2004, 04:13 PM
And please feel free to have the last word because I know you like that SO much. :)

I'm not going to continue an argument about Pete (ugh!) Sampras on the Andy Roddick forum. Just too much bad air even saying his name. :)

WyveN
02-29-2004, 04:38 PM
And please feel free to have the last word because I know you like that SO much. :)

First you say this

I'm not going to continue an argument

After a misguided dellusioned rant you conclude with this.

Neat little way to escape when your views are being challanged, and where did I say that Pete can do no wrong?

tangerine_dream
02-29-2004, 05:07 PM
It's true that Pete wasn't especially into Davis Cup.

But his tremendous performance against Russia in the 1995 Davis Cup Final, including an epic five-setter against Chesnokov, where he basically won the cup for us, on CLAY of all things(!), deserves mention. Pete was actually quite disheartened that their great performance didn't get too much press back home.

OMG did I just stick up for Pete? What's happening to me?! :scared: :bolt: ;)

:haha: Q.

BTW, was this the match where Petey collapsed afterwards and had to be carried off the court?

I should order this one on tape and add it to my tennis library. Pete winning on clay. That's an automatic classic. ;)

tangerine_dream
02-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Don't get me started on Pete and his pouting over D.C. NOBODY in the U.S. has ever gotten much recognition for DC heroics. (And got to say that Pete's record in D.C. is spotty at best.) Those that have gotten recognition are the ones who have put their heart and soul into it. So, I'm hoping that Andy will be like another McEnroe in that respect.

Davis Cup is such a non-event here in the States that it doesn't surprise me that Pete's performance went unnoticed in the press. But I don't blame him for being mad because when you pull off a great game like that (on your worst surface), you want a parade, or at least a pat on the back, for it. ;)

star
02-29-2004, 06:06 PM
So........ changing the topic back to how the Swedes have NO chance and are going to be sitting ducks for the U.S. team. :)

J. Corwin
02-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Let's get those hunting weaponry ready. :)

So the Swedes are sitting DUCKS, but the U.S. has A duck on the team. This is going to be interesting. :)

andyroxmysox12191
02-29-2004, 11:29 PM
A duck..lol :)

star
02-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Let's get those hunting weaponry ready. :)

So the Swedes are sitting DUCKS, but the U.S. has A duck on the team. This is going to be interesting. :)

Could it be that the Swedes are just decoys???

:angel: