The 2004 DC Thread is Now Retired [Archive] - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

The 2004 DC Thread is Now Retired

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Deboogle!.
12-04-2004, 09:03 PM
IMO Mardy would have to play out of his skin and he would have to hope Nadal's level is not where it was against Andy. Because Andy played Nadal similarly to the way Mardy would - by going to net a lot. The difference is that Andy's serve is much better, he moves much better, and he's better from the baseline than Mardy. So um.. that doesn't quite bode well for Fishman.

tangerine_dream
12-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Even if Andy makes it past Moya tomorrow (which I don't think he will), Mardy will get destroyed by Nadal if Nadal plays anywhere near the level he was playing against Andy. I watched the first half of the match last night and holy canoly, that kid was amazing :eek: I still can't get over that one return of serve where Andy served out wide and Rafa actually managed to hit a forehand return winner off it. Even Andy applauded it. Hardly anybody can get those kinds of serves back, let alone win the point. Get out of here, Rafa. ;) :bolt:

Golfnduck
12-04-2004, 09:46 PM
The US just really needs a solid #2 singles player. You can't have Andy and the Bryans carrying the load on their shoulders every time. Someone needs to step up. I would like to see James Blake start playing well again.

Neely
12-04-2004, 10:19 PM
The US just really needs a solid #2 singles player. You can't have Andy and the Bryans carrying the load on their shoulders every time. Someone needs to step up. I would like to see James Blake start playing well again.
True, but Andy and the Bryans are so far often good enough to score the needed 3 points on many surfaces against almost every opponent, but you are right, a 2nd good singles player would be awesome for the US team and they would have an incredible team then.

J. Corwin
12-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Nice job Bryans! :rocker2: I don't see Americans winning both matches, odds against that are too great, but maybe Moya will do a choke job...if history repeats itself. ;) And then at least Mardy will have a chance to win it all...(this is when I wish Vinny was on the team). Like Q said, if Mardy can maintain that high level of play for a few sets and Nadal is just a little off, who knows...*still thinking Red Sox*

Golfnduck
12-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Nice job Bryans! :rocker2: I don't see Americans winning both matches, odds against that are too great, but maybe Moya will do a choke job...if history repeats itself. ;) And then at least Mardy will have a chance to win it all...(this is when I wish Vinny was on the team). Like Q said, if Mardy can maintain that high level of play for a few sets and Nadal is just a little off, who knows...*still thinking Red Sox*
It would be amazing if the US won both matches tomorrow. But I told Renata, the pressure is on Moya to win the Davis Cup now. Andy doesn't have that much pressure. Moya is one of my favorite players but pressure and Moya don't go together well.

Deboogle!.
12-04-2004, 10:28 PM
What they need is someone to play on clay... HA! To have a serious shot year after year at winning the Cup, we need the Bryans on the team and healthy, we need Andy to improve on clay even more, and we need someone who can play on clay. Mardy/Robby/James are dependable enough on non-clay surfaces to win at least one of their matches, but on clay...no. and to win the Cup and be a consistent force for the next several years, we're gonna have to play the Spains, Frances, Argentinas, Switzerlands of the world, etc etc.

Golfnduck
12-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Bryans stomp Spain to give U.S. hope
Story Tools: Print Email
Matthew Cronin / tennisreporters.net
Posted: 1 hour ago

SEVILLE, Spain - It must have been a quiet Friday night at the U.S. team dinner, given that Carlos Moya had spanked Mardy Fish and Rafael Nadal had pulled off a near miracle against Andy Roddick.

But the U.S. team wasn't completely down in the dumps and picked up their chins Friday night after Mardy Fish went over to the restaurant grease board and wrote, "Remember the Red Sox."
TennisReporters.net
More coverage

Also ...

PMac: Spanish crowd was over the top ... but didn't determine outcome of matches
Cronin: Low expectations for U.S.

After Mike and Bob Bryan completely embarrassed Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero and Tommy Robredo 6-0, 6-3, 6-2, the U.S. team is alive to fight another day. They are down 1-2 and will have to face two clay-court lovers on Sunday, but stranger things have happened in Davis Cup before, just not very often.

Andy Roddick feels he's capable of taking down Carlos Moya on Sunday in the fourth match and if it goes to five, even the more gentle Mardy Fish thinks he has a chance against teen hotshot Rafael Nadal, who graced the cover of every newspaper in the land after stunning A-Rod on Friday.

"It's a big task but we know what we have in front of us," said Fish. "I said when we came back in the locker room that we took away their momentum. It's on Andy right now and if he wins, it's on me. I hope we take it to a fifth match."

U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe, who was born and bred in New York, is a big time Yankee fan, but he'll take the Red Sox analogy this weekend. He hasn't let his boys get down and believes that even though the odds are stacked against them, the home team can be had.

"By no means do we think we're out of it," he said with a hard stare. "We didn't think that last night. We didn't think that this morning. We don't think that now. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility to beat these guys We've been the underdog from the minute we landed here. But we believe we can do it. They know they can do it. It is possible. There's no reason why we can't come out tomorrow, if Andy can win, it's 2-all, we're in with a shot."

They wouldn't have had any chance if it wasn't for the Bryans, who in so many ways are still the world's best doubles team, despite their year-end No. 2 ranking. Last September, McEnroe decided to call in the Bryans as his doubles team after they had won at Roland Garros and were rising to the top of rankings charts.

Prior to that, McEnroe employed a variety of singles players in the doubles spots because he wanted to make sure that if one of his top two singles got hurt, he'd have a backup singles players (neither of the Bryans play singles). He took a risk playing the twins the last five ties, but it has more than paid off: they haven't lost a set in five matches.

They so completely dominated the Spaniards that Ferrero only held serve once and Robredo twice. They swarmed the net, mixed up their serves, returned with authority and variety and wowed a crowd that had come to bury the U.S. team. Ferrero was frequently awestruck after he would whip a heavily topspinned drive and one of the lanky Bryans would come out of nowhere and punch home a volley winner.

"It feels good to give those guys another shot," Mike said. " Spain has to go sleep on that. Everything went according to plan. We played more doubles than they have. We exploited their doubles skills. We rose to the occasion."

Because they played college tennis for Stanford for two years and experienced the worst of opposing frat boys (the Bryans had beer dumped on their heads by crazed U. of Georgia fans), the twins know how to play in front of hostile crowds. On a normal day in front of friendly fans, they might have fist-pumped 10 times, given how many amazing shots they pulled off. But on Saturday, they saved their trademark chest bump for last.

"We didn't want to break out the chest bump the first couple of sets just because they'd be riding us the rest of the match," Mike said. "So we saved it for the match point, kind of stuck a dagger in them."

In order to save him for Sunday's singles, Spanish captain Jordi Arrese pulled Nadal out of the doubles and subbed in Ferrero, who really has few ideas about doubles strategy. But no matter, Arrese has his guns lined up for Sunday. Although Roddick has never lost to Moya, they have never played on clay and all of the American's three wins over the Spaniard went three sets. Roddick was in a foul mood after he lost to Nadal and given how competitive he is, it's a given that he'll fight like hell.

"Andy came up to us, he was like, 'Thanks for giving me another shot.,'" Bob said. "I'm really confident in Andy winning that first match. Then, anything can happen in the fifth match."

McEnroe feels much the same. Had Roddick converted a set point against Nadal in the third set tiebreaker on Friday, he very well might have won. He'll never be a clay court genius, but his level against Nadal was as high on clay as it has been all year.

"If he plays up to that level, he's got a good chance the way he matches up with Carlos," McEnroe said.

The big question is whether Fish has it him to raise his level several octaves and match up with the fiery Nadal. Beyond the first 10 points of his match against Moya, he didn't show a lot of spunk and was controlled from the baseline. He needs to do exactly what Roddick did against Nadal — charge the net at every opportunity. If he can get there, he has a decent chance, because he's a better volleyer than Roddick is. But he's never shown himself to be an equal competitor to his close friend.

"I would have liked to put more pressure on Moya," Fish said. "I talked to the coaches about it and we worked on taking more short balls early. We're not clay courters but hopefully we can play our own styles and mix it up ... Andy doesn't come into the net nearly as much as he did yesterday. He had a lot of short balls to his backhand and that's not his best shot. But the backhand coming in is my best shot."

McEnroe has nowhere near the confidence in Fish than he has in Roddick. But one other factor could play into the match should the U.S. get there: as promising as Nadal is, he's never played the fifth and deciding rubber in a Davis Cup final. That's tremendous pressure for even the most talented of 18-year-olds. Both McEnroe and Arrese know that.

"If it gets to 2-all, and Mardy can get the start he got against Carlos, where he came out and played great for the first few games, really try to force the issue, then who knows what could happen?"

Deboogle!.
12-04-2004, 10:53 PM
ahhhhh the ever-upbeat view from Tennis-x
=============
Spain Tanks Davis Cup Doubles, Looks to Clinch in Sunday Singles

Posted on December 05, 2004

Juan Carlos Ferrero, it's safe to say, is not exactly enjoying his 2004 Davis Cup final experience.

After the humiliation of getting pulled from the singles line-up on Friday in favor of 18-year-old first-year rookie Rafael "The Prodigy" Nadal, Ferrero was inserted into the doubles line-up Saturday with Tommy Robredo and was on the receiving end of a 6-0, 6-3, 6-2 embarrassment at Olympic Stadium in Seville.

It's a mystery why the Spanish coaches would choose to embarrass Ferrero in from of the 27,200-capacity crowd. The former No. 1 has never won a career doubles title, and this year lost first round in both his doubles outings.

The Spanish "G-3" cabal of coaches (Jordi Arrese, Juan Avendano, and Jose Perlas) chose to rest Nadal, who was scheduled to pair with Robredo, after his singles heroics over Andy Roddick on Friday. It was thought that Ferrero would play a key role on Sunday, but now the money seems to be on the next-generation Nadal.

"When I close my eyes of course I want to see myself on court on Sunday and I want to see myself winning on Sunday," said Ferrero after Nadal was initially chosen for the singles. "Of course I felt a bit surprised by the decision but one has to accept it."

But like a bad dream, Ferrero found himself on the doubles court Saturday against the former French Open champion and two-time Masters Cup-winning Bryan brothers, who midway though looked like they might keep the best-of-five set match under an hour.

For the G-3 it was perhaps a mental tactic, a slap in the face to the American opponents to put in Ferrero (who has a 3-19 career win-loss record in doubles) against the Bryans, essentially saying, 'This is how little the doubles point means to us. Let's have a little circus entertainment Saturday before our singles players blank the U.S. again on Sunday.'

Ferrero was expectedly despondent following the match.

"I am barely used to playing doubles but I am here to play and this was what I was asked to do," Ferrero said.

Asked if he saw himself as a fall guy in the doubles, Ferrero said, "If I say yes to the question, of course that would not be good for the team. Let me just say that I am here. I am part of the team. The first day it was not considered appropriate that I play and it was considered appropriate that I played today in the doubles match because Rafael is tired and because he had a very long match yesterday. That's the answer to the question. Yesterday was disappointing to me to not play in this fantastic stadium, you know, with all the crowd supporting us. But today I wanted to play because it's one more point to Spain. But, of course, I knew that this is very difficult to play against the Bryans and to win against them."

Now Spain leads the tie 2-1 and the U.S. must sweep the singles on Sunday, with Carlos Moya against Roddick, and if the tie is still live, the scheduled fifth match of Nadal versus Fish.

tangerine_dream
12-04-2004, 10:59 PM
I love that they're invoking the Red Sox :yeah: Thanks for the articles, Deb and Jen :kiss:

Think: Red Sox :devil:
http://tinypic.com/ds780

superpinkone37
12-04-2004, 11:12 PM
haha, yeah, gotta love the red sox analogies :yeah:

thanks for the articles everyone :)

Neely
12-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Holy shit, Andy really has his chances against Carlos in this 2nd set. Another considerably very good set from Andy, but Carlos could play better though.

Just waiting for errors like against Fish is not enough for Carlos.

Neely
12-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Andy's 1st serve percentage could be a bit better this weekend. Under 50% in both of his matches isn't good for him. He can do better and it would have given him additional chances for this two matches.

Neely
12-05-2004, 01:12 PM
4-3... Carlos is giving Andy not any slightest chance on his serve so far in the 3rd set... looks like the best Andy can do is holding his own service games and going into another tiebreak

BTW, better serving performance from Andy now... in the 3rd set so far, he raised his ace count from 3 to 8, even though it is clay, this makes it easier for him

Havok
12-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Oh well, nice try from Andy in both matches, he made them tough and competitive that's all I wanted from him. I think he knew he wasn't gonna win both his matches or even 1 and that the USA would win the whole thing, but he was still fighting out there. Now he can finally relax for a good 2 weeks and then start to pick things up again. I don't think he'll be so down from this outcome considering the circumstances (playing Spain on clay), but he'll take the positives from it like he usually does.:yeah:

snaillyyy
12-05-2004, 02:38 PM
I missed the Bryans match yesterday and Andy's today but I am glad that he fought as hard as he did.

k-rod83
12-05-2004, 03:19 PM
i set the vidio for andys match as i was at work...but didnt do it right....so i only got it from 4-4 in the 2nd..i am such a bimbo!!!

luckilly my brother was up and noticed it wasnt taping or would have been gutted lol

andyroxmysox12191
12-05-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm glad Andy played hard in today's match as well :hug: I got up hoping that he might've won even though it was by a long shot, but oh well. Didn't we all expect the US to lose?
Great job to our guys and the Spaniards :kiss:

Golfnduck
12-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Well, Andy fought hard and that's all you can ask of him. He had alot of bp's but Carlos erased them. Carlos played well, even though he had a few double faults. One game in the second set, I thought Andy was going to break Carlos. Carlos was serving at 15-30, and then served 3 aces!!! :eek: Good job to the Spainards, and our boys. They all fought hard. Looking forward to next year, maybe the US will be able to host the final.

superpinkone37
12-05-2004, 03:45 PM
*sigh* oh well.

well, we didnt expect andy to win this one anyway. from the score, those last two sets were very close and could have probably gone either way until the TB. at least that shows that andy was very competitive playing with moya today. thaats all we really needed from him, for him to try his best and give it his all, and it sounds like he did. anyways, i will have to tape the match later so i can watch it, but at least i know the score before i leave, otherwise i would be going crazy lol

tangerine_dream
12-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Congrats to Spain on their well-earned DC win :bigclap:

3-2 Spain is a very respectable showing for the US; we did very well on our worst surface. No shame in this loss; it wasn't a blowout as many predicted :bowdown: I am so proud of Andy for fighting as hard as he did and probably playing the best he's ever played on clay before. :eek: Both he and Mardy and the Bryans handled the inhospitable crowd with class and aplumb :yeah: I hope that Andy will be able to look back and see that he CAN play on clay and yes, that he CAN COMPETE with claycourters. None of these guys got bageled, and the matches were highly competitive and entertaining. This was no walkover, they made Spain earn their DC win. :D This is terrific experience for them and I hope they'll be able to take the improvements they've made to their clay game over to Europe next spring. :banana:

tangerine_dream
12-05-2004, 05:08 PM
I didn't know Andy suffered an injury during the match :eek: But it's just like him to brush it off and not use it an excuse for his loss. :yeah:

Roddick Refuses to Blame Injury for Davis Defeat
By Ossian Shine

SEVILLE, Spain (Reuters) - A vanquished Andy Roddick refused to blame a groin injury for Sunday's loss to Carlos Moya which handed the Davis Cup to Spain.

American Roddick hurt himself when he was wrong-footed by Moya in the second set before losing, 6-2, 7-6, 7-6.

Roddick's defeat handed Spain a winning 3-1 advantage over the United States.

"I strained a little bit on my right groin," the world No. 2 said.

"But bottom line is they were just better than us this weekend.

"You can say whatever you want, but they came out, they took care of business. They beat us. It's as simple as that."

Roddick also lost his opening singles match Friday, falling to 18-year-old Rafael Nadal, but says he is still proud of the way he played.

"I'll kick myself a little bit but I have nothing to be ashamed of. You know, I gave it my all. I came out here. I prepared myself as best I could," he said.

"Obviously I'm upset with myself that I couldn't get a win. But I'm not going to walk out of here with my head down, that's for sure."

The 27,200 fans crammed around the specially-constructed court at Seville's Olympic Stadium played their part in the Spanish victory.

Roddick said he had never experienced anything like it.

"It's tough to put into words, what it's all about," he said. You're busy focusing on the task at hand, then you look up and there are people for as far as you can see just going nuts and cheering and stuff.

"It's one thing to sit on the sideline but it's another thing to feel it and be a part of it. This weekend was unlike anything I've experienced before."

The slow, red clay court selected by the Spaniards was also key to the victory. Roddick said he accepted host nations have a huge advantage in selecting surface.

"We just have to improve," he said. "It's not like we can do anything to prevent it.

"Bottom line is, we're responsible for it, we have to get better. You know, there's really no miracle answer. We just have to deal with it and accept it and improve."

Piccies :banana:

Andy Roddick of the U.S. reacts after losing a point during his match against Carlos Moya of Spain at the 2004 Davis Cup final at Seville's Olympic Stadium, December 5, 2004.
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041205/i/r3621174987.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041205/capt.xaf10712051645.spain_davis_cup_xaf107.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041205/capt.jj10912051641.davis_cup_final_jj109.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041205/capt.jj11212051603.davis_cup_final_jj112.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20041205/capt.sge.lzd65.051204160549.photo02.photo.default-384x284.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041205/capt.jj11012051546.davis_cup_final_jj110.jpg
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041205/i/r155238073.jpg

merle
12-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the article and pics Tangy! You can all be proud of Andy! He gave it his all and they're a young team so he'll win the DC one day for sure. I hope his injury isn't too serious and he can have a good season in 2005. :wavey:

snaillyyy
12-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks Merle :hug:

When the guys look back on this weekend they have nothing to be ashamed of, they gave it a good effort it was good to see Andy fighting til the end. Good luck to them all in 2005.

Thanks for article and pics Tangy :D: :yeah:

tangerine_dream
12-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Hi merle, thanks for your words of support :hug:

More pics from the ceremonies. Rarely does Andy look this disappointed after a loss. :sad:

http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/51810877CB033_DavisCup120513_1024x768.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/51810877CB031_DavisCup120513_1024x768.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/51810877CB032_DavisCup120513_1024x768.jpg

More agony of defeat pictures...

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/XAF103120510_1024x768.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/XAF104120510_1024x768.jpg

snaillyyy
12-05-2004, 07:04 PM
:sad: awwww thanks Tangy...Yeah he looks disappointed and Mardy's expression reminds me his look at the Olympics.....

Neely
12-05-2004, 07:51 PM
thanks, nice pictures.... :yeah:

Golfnduck
12-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Andy looks really sad :sad: So do the rest of the boys. Hopefully next year they'll be in the final again. This was a good experience for all of them.

star
12-05-2004, 09:28 PM
It was really too much to expect the team to win. I'm sure the Spanish are thrilled and that's nice. Maybe soon we will have a DC final here in the U.S.

I wonder how much longer Andy will be able to put all this energy into DC.

andyroxmysox12191
12-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Andy loves DC and playing for the US so I don't think he'll be stopping anytime soon. Same goes for the Bryans til they retire hopefully :)
thanks for the pics tangy :kiss: Poor Andy and the guys :hug: I just wanna make em feel better :hug: But don't the Spainards look adorable on the Davis Cup site? :D So happy for them :)

Havok
12-05-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm sure he'll be doing it for the rest of his career quite frankly. Maybe if he has decent back-up players he'll be able to take breaks on certain ties depending on where they fall/the countries they face.

andyroxmysox12191
12-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Question....was there a streaker at the match? Is that who they took off the court?

Socket
12-05-2004, 10:23 PM
I'm just popping in to say "good effort" to Andy, Mardy, Mike & Bob, and yes, even Vince. I hope that this experience will lead Andy to play a full claycourt season next year just like my guy Lleyton did (and in Europe) and become more proficient on his least-favorite surface. The US can expect to play DC on clay again in the near future, and the team needs Andy to contribute.

The one person I'm not congratulating is Pat McEnroe. He went into this tie with only one close-to-certain point, and that was the doubles point provided by the Bryan Bros., who -- not too long ago -- McEnroe did not even want on the team. They, much like Vince, had to campaign and campaign before they were even considered and that included their father complaining to the USTA. McEnroe simply makes poor choices when it comes to selecting his team members. I find it very hard to believe that the USTA extended his contract for the next two years. I have to wonder if the US will win the Davis Cup on any surface under his leadership.

Socket
12-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Question....was there a streaker at the match? Is that who they took off the court?
I just saw an article about this. It wasn't a streaker, it was some guy with red beret or another kind of hat and some kind of a bat or racquet. I think he managed to put the hat on Moya before security got to him. As someone who remembers watching the footage of Monica getting stabbed, I always find it a little bit scary when somebody runs out on the court!

andyroxmysox12191
12-05-2004, 10:27 PM
:hug: hey Socket! Thanks for dropping by :hug:
I completely agree. Pmac was really stupid in making the decision for who should play the second singles. It should've been Vinny rather than Mardy. I do hope Jim gets the job after Pmac's done...

andyroxmysox12191
12-05-2004, 10:29 PM
:S That's creepy! All I heard was a bunch of booing or something going on so I looked at the TV and saw security taking away some guy.

star
12-05-2004, 10:35 PM
I agree about playing Vinny instead of Mardy. Mardy is not a clutch player and when things look desperate, desperate measures are necessary. Vinny would have done no worse than Mardy, and had the possibility of doing better.

I agree we need a new captain, but PMac is very political so he'll have to squander a few more chances for him to be removed. Remember how long we suffered with Gullickson? :(

Socket
12-05-2004, 10:57 PM
I hope that Courier becomes the captain, too. He's got the grand slam experience -- and trophies -- that P-Mac doesn't have, and I think he'd be great.

I can remember how we suffered with Tom Gorman as captain! Boy, that was a contentious period in US Davis Cup history.

andyroxmysox12191
12-05-2004, 11:00 PM
I dunno who Tom Gorman is cause I'm probably way younger than you ;) lol But I'll take your word for it

Havok
12-05-2004, 11:01 PM
I'm just popping in to say "good effort" to Andy, Mardy, Mike & Bob, and yes, even Vince. I hope that this experience will lead Andy to play a full claycourt season next year just like my guy Lleyton did (and in Europe) and become more proficient on his least-favorite surface. The US can expect to play DC on clay again in the near future, and the team needs Andy to contribute.

The one person I'm not congratulating is Pat McEnroe. He went into this tie with only one close-to-certain point, and that was the doubles point provided by the Bryan Bros., who -- not too long ago -- McEnroe did not even want on the team. They, much like Vince, had to campaign and campaign before they were even considered and that included their father complaining to the USTA. McEnroe simply makes poor choices when it comes to selecting his team members. I find it very hard to believe that the USTA extended his contract for the next two years. I have to wonder if the US will win the Davis Cup on any surface under his leadership.
You had to understand his decisions regardning the twins though. When you take them on the team, that leaves you with 2 other players to play singles. If either of the singles playrs get injured, either Bryan suck majorely in singles and wouldn't be able to do squat in their singles rubber. He was reluctant in putting them on the team until they did major damage on the tour (which they did in 03 winning a Slam and getting #1, etc.)

I agree with the clay stuff and that the team really needs Andy to contribute, but the thing is is that when the USA gets put up against tough opposition, he, along with the twins, are really the only US members capable of winning all their matches. Having a decent second singles players will only get you so far, but the rest of the US contingent have to bust their ass a heck of a lot more than Andy because they need to improve their level of tennis and that will in turn benefit Andy as he won't have such a huge burden on every one of his singles matches.

star
12-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Carrying the German Davis Cup team was horrendously difficult for Boris Becker and it wore him out. Andy is going to be in the same position because all the other U.S. players are pretty weak.

Havok
12-05-2004, 11:05 PM
If Fish would just refrain from fucking stupidities ans focus, he would have an easier time. Though I think I would see Andy not play a tie one week in the future if they draw a pretty weak country and Fish, Bryans, *insert any other US player here* would be able to pull off a win.

J. Corwin
12-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Well at least the scoreline is respectable. The U.S. team can just leave with their heads held up high and proud of themselves. :)

The guy that ran on court wasn't a streaker, he was just waving something and the crowd called him son of a bitch. (according to Cliffy)

superpinkone37
12-06-2004, 01:28 AM
thanks for all the pictures tangy :)
i taped the match (i hope it worked *fingers crossed*) but i probably wont be able to watch it anytime soon :(
im proud of the guys for getting so far nad doing so well. i know they put it all out there and gave it all they had, and came up just short. congrats to the spaniards for awesome play this weekend :)

Whatup86
12-06-2004, 01:32 AM
I just got done watching my tape of the Roddick/Moya match and I thought it was a great one. I think Andy played his heart out :kiss: and Moya just got the better of him on that clay court. I'm looking forward to next year!.

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 04:13 AM
Well I was gone all day and didn't have internet when I woke up so I'm just reading about everything now. I'm just proud that Andy fought his heart out and was really competitive against two of the best clay-courters with all the other adverse conditions, too.

But it will only matter if he shows up on clay next year and does better. Even though he lost the matches, this should give him the self-belief that he can beat these guys on this surface - after all, the majority of the people he will face on clay will not be as good as these two, AND the intangible conditions will not be against him like they were. I've always believed it was mostly in his head, and now this is the proof. No he'll never be great on clay, but this proves that he IS CAPABLE of competing hard with, and beating many of, the good clay-courters. Now he has to do it next April-May. :)

rue
12-06-2004, 04:16 AM
The USA team looks just so sad and we all know just how much Davis Cup means to them. I think that next year they have a great chance of winning it and if they get to the final, they would be able to play at home too. It is not over. They are all really young and I think they still need to mature a bit more and learn from this experience, then they will win it all.

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Andy's interview :)

2004 DAVIS CUP FINALS
USA vs. SPAIN
SEVILLE, SPAIN

December 5, 2004

C. MOYA/A. Roddick
6-2, 7-6, 7-6

ANDY RODDICK

RANDY WALKER: Questions.

Q. Could you give us your impressions of the match?

ANDY RODDICK: Obviously, I got off to a slow start, but from then on it was pretty much dead even, except for a couple points in the breaker here and there. It's just tough 'cause, you know, I felt like I was in it the whole time, you know, against probably one of the Top 3 clay-courters in the world. I had my chances, just didn't convert 'em.

Q. You fought so hard to get into both tiebreaks. Towards the end of both of them, a lot of unforced errors. Was it the pressure, the situation?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. You know, I felt like I had to go for my shots. I'm not going to beat these guys just sliding around playing loopers and doing all types of that on this surface. I'm not that good on the surface yet. You know, I went for my shots, and I just missed them. Pretty much there, what you see is what you get.

Q. How much did Friday take out of you?

ANDY RODDICK: Yesterday, I felt pretty bad. But actually, surprisingly, today I was, you know, at the end of the third set, I wasn't tired at all actually. So, you know, it was a pleasant surprise the way I was able to kind of turn it around. You know, I felt fine today. :yeah:

Q. Midway through the second set, about 3-1, you got kind of wrong-footed or went the wrong way. What did you hurt, if anything? You were walking a little gingerly after that.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. Just, you know, a little bit on my right groin. But bottom line is they were just better than us this weekend. You can say whatever you want, but they came out, they took care of business. They beat us. It's as simple as that.

Q. What were your thoughts when you saw that guy Jimmy Jumping on your side of the court?

ANDY RODDICK: At first I was scared. I didn't know who it was and I see some guy running on the court with a wooden frickin' bat or whatever it was. I mean, my heart jumped when I first saw it. It was scary. Then when he started doing his thing, I had to refrain myself from going and getting him myself. But he had a very nice hat. :lol:

Q. The round is different, but how does this compare with two years ago in Paris, the feeling?

ANDY RODDICK: You know, I think we put up a better fight here than we did in Paris two years ago. You know, obviously it's away, it's on clay and all that stuff. But we're a better team now, I think. I didn't have any chances in those matches. They really kind of took it to me. I feel like, you know, I had one shot away from Nadal, that set point in the third set, if that had gone my way, then there were a couple opportunities today. So, you know, even though it was the same end result, I felt like, you know, we were a little closer. We played a little better - or I played a little better this time. Obviously, the Bryans played amazing. They're a great team to have working for us.

Q. You had to take some pretty hard knocks in big championships this year. Does this make you more motivated to improve and get stronger next year?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, absolutely. You know, I've been at the finish line a couple times this year and haven't crossed it first. You know, it's disappointing, but at the same time you have to look at what it took to get there. Obviously, you know, last year was almost too easy. I didn't get there that often, but when I did, I made it happen. This year I felt like I got there more often, and it didn't happen for me. You know, I guess that happens sometimes. I'll just work harder. (Great attitude!! now please do it :))

Q. Have you talked about or do you maybe have thoughts about what could be done to take away some of the advantage the home team has when they can choose clay on you every time?

ANDY RODDICK: Not in the last 10 minutes since we finished.

Q. Any thoughts generically?

ANDY RODDICK: Not really. We just have to improve. It's not like we can do anything to prevent it. Bottom line is, we're responsible for it, we have to get better. You know, there's really no miracle answer. We just have to deal with it and accept it and improve.

Q. Can you give people who might never have a chance to be in the situation you're in today an idea of what it's like to be out there, that noise, crowd, spectacle?

ANDY RODDICK: Not really. I mean, it's tough to kind of put into words, what it's all about. I mean, you're busy focusing on the task at hand. Then you look up, and there are people for as far as you can see, you know, just going nuts and cheering and stuff. I mean, it's one thing to sit on the sideline, but it's another thing to kind of feel it and be a part of it. You know, it's definitely -- this weekend was unlike anything I've experienced before.

Q. Do you walk away from the tie with your head held high or do you walk away kicking yourself a little bit because you're the US No. 1 and you couldn't get a win for the guys?

ANDY RODDICK: Probably a little bit of both. I'll kick myself a little bit, but I have nothing to be ashamed of. You know, I gave it my all. I came out here. I prepared myself as best I could. You know, I'm obviously upset with myself that I couldn't get a win, like you said. But, you know, I'm not going to walk out of here with my head down, that's for sure. :)

Q. Aside from the heckling of your faults, your errors, it seemed like a pretty good crowd. But does all that noise wear on you after a while?

ANDY RODDICK: I mean, like I said the other day, I mean, it's no secret that it's an advantage to have a couple people for you, much less 26,000. I think the other day it shocked me a little bit. But today I was okay with it. You know, I really was able to kind of -- I tried to block it out. I stayed pretty mellow today. So, you know, once I got past the initial shock of it, I was able kind of to settle in a little bit more.

Q. Do you think you showed your tennis character the moment where there was a lot of noise in the court and you made one ace, saving that match point? Do you feel proud of that? I know it's a loss, but you did it several times when the noise was up there.

ANDY RODDICK: I really had no choice. The noise was always up there. It's not like I had the choice in the situation. But, I mean, not just the ace, but, like I said, I gave it my all. You know, if there's one thing I can be proud of this weekend, it's that.

Q. You said this weekend, there was nothing else you've experienced like it. What would be in second place? Would it be Davis Cup, Roland Garros in second place in terms of crowd and atmosphere?

ANDY RODDICK: You know, as far as just an unbiased opinion of atmosphere?

Q. In terms of the intensity.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, when we played in France two years ago, I thought that was nuts until I came here. You know, as far as the best crowd for us, playing a US Open final in front of 23,000 of your own is pretty great. It's a nice feeling also.

Q. Is it a flipside?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know to that level. But it's probably as close as I'll come. .

Q. At one point Carlos hushed the crowd. You seemed to have a warm exchange with him at the net afterwards. What sort of respect do you have for him as a competitor and sportsman?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, more so than anything, I just think when someone accomplishes something like the Spanish team did today, you have to respect that and you have to give them their due credit. You know, I think that's what it was more than anything. They did a great job. I think you have to pay -- when it's over and done with, you have to kind of withdraw yourself from the situation, how you're feeling, and try to pay respect to what they accomplished. :)

Socket
12-06-2004, 03:22 PM
You had to understand his decisions regardning the twins though. When you take them on the team, that leaves you with 2 other players to play singles. If either of the singles playrs get injured, either Bryan suck majorely in singles and wouldn't be able to do squat in their singles rubber. He was reluctant in putting them on the team until they did major damage on the tour (which they did in 03 winning a Slam and getting #1, etc.)

I agree with the clay stuff and that the team really needs Andy to contribute, but the thing is is that when the USA gets put up against tough opposition, he, along with the twins, are really the only US members capable of winning all their matches. Having a decent second singles players will only get you so far, but the rest of the US contingent have to bust their ass a heck of a lot more than Andy because they need to improve their level of tennis and that will in turn benefit Andy as he won't have such a huge burden on every one of his singles matches.
I understand P-Mac's reasoning about injuries, but I don't agree with it. :) I think it makes more sense to keep your singles guys fresh and give them a day's rest between best-of-five matches. Fatigue is a more likely factor during DC ties than injury.

And I disagreed with his refusal to let the Bryan Bros. on the team before they won a slam and got into the top 3 in doubles. He doesn't hold singles players to those standards, why hold the doubles players to them? Did Mardy or James Blake do major damage on the tour before they were on the DC team?

But, you know, I do know where P-Mac is coming from. Back during the Tom Gorman days, the B-list of American players did almost all of the heavy lifting during the early rounds, and then Andre and Pete would show up for the final tie, and the B-list guys didn't even get plane tickets to sit in the stands and cheer, much less invited to victory parties. But I do think that P-Mac has gone to the other extreme and he's endangering the team's ability to win DC. He's got to take surface ability into account.

But, in the end, even if Spadea had played, I don't think he would have won both of his matches, so we still needed Andy to win at least one match, which did not happen.

Socket
12-06-2004, 03:27 PM
I didn't check to see if somebody had already posted this, so I'm sorry if it's a duplicate. Anyway, it's from a neutral (Australian) newspaper, and I thought it would make interesting reading.

The Spanish do not come to tennis matches to spectate. They come to join in. They do not just get behind their players: they get in the way of the opposition. And so it proved on the opening day of the Davis Cup final in the southern Spanish city of Seville.

Halfway through the third set of the match between Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick, the American moved in for a crucial volley. Just as he made contact with the ball, a spectator gave a loud yell. Roddick missed his shot, and the crowd exulted. But the umpire was having nothing of it and ordered the point to be replayed.

Outraged, the Spanish crowd pointed at the tiny contingent of American fans. It was them, they cried. The Americans pointed back. It was a playground spat involving 26,000 people, 25,700 of whom were Spanish.

Another favourite trick is the wolf-whistle in the middle of the American's service action.

A particularly persistent exponent of this was a tubby little boy in the VIP seats: his mum patted him on the head after every whistle.

There was nothing unexpected about this. Spanish crowds have always been rowdy, and reserve their worst behaviour for Davis Cup finals. The Australian players were given a horrible reception in the final in Barcelona four years ago. But this is nastier. This is personal and, unfortunately, political.

The Spanish say it is just enthusiasm, and that is a quality the Spanish have in spades. While watching tennis, they simultaneously do many other things with enthusiasm. They drink, smoke, argue and have lengthy and loud mobile phone conversations.

They also play the tuba or the big bass drum. It is an interesting aspect of the security operation here that police officers will X-ray something as harmless as a notebook, while admitting an entire brass band with impunity.

The stadium is bizarre enough without musical accompaniment. The matches are being played at one end of the vast, rudimentary and optimistically named Estadio Olimpico. This edifice was built in Field of Dreams style in the hope of landing the Olympics of 2004. They built it, but the Games did not come, and Sevillans have been wondering what to do with it ever since.

Their latest brainwave has been to dump several tons of clay at one end, build temporary grand stands all over the soccer pitch, and have the Davis Cup come to town.

Great idea. Except that it is December, and the weather can be on the chilly side.

So this was not only the largest crowd to attend a Davis Cup final but also the coldest. And the wettest. The organisers have sensibly erected a temporary roof over the court itself, but have not extended the coverage to the cheap seats. The rain in Spain falls mainly on the mean.

The players were all right; they could run around. But Mardy Fish stopped running about halfway through the final set of his match against Carlos Moya when he realised that no matter how much effort he put in, he was never going to out-manoeuvre his opponent.

Fish likened the experience to a particularly partisan college American football game, but he felt that he was now well qualified to advise his teammates on the conditions they were about to encounter.

"If somebody has a question about the court or the fans or how it is out there," Fish said, "I'll just yell and scream as loud as I can."

- Telegraph

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Exactly, Socket. I don't think Vince would've beaten Moya anyway. And that's really the ultimate point. But PMac has recognized that they had fun with Vince there and stuff so as long as he keeps playing himself into contention, i think that's all that's fair. But I think you also see that there is truly a special bond with Andy, Mardy, and the Bryans. And that does count for something. No, it wasn't enough in this tie, but it might be enough in others. And that IS important.

The difference is that ANDY WANTS to play the early ties. PMac said in his interview yesterday (I left the rest of his answer in because I liked it ;)):

Q. Patrick, there's obviously a really hard turnaround in terms of Davis Cup play. Any indication at all from Andy about Croatia and schedule for next year? How would you compare the Andy Roddick of today, his game, with a year ago?

CAPTAIN McENROE: Well, Andy's already talking about us playing in Carson, in California. He's firmly committed to Davis Cup, which we're all very lucky to have him and happy that he is. Second part, how has his game changed? Well, I think he's becoming a more well-rounded player. I mean, I think, obviously, Federer's taken the game to another level in the last year. And I think Andy's doing everything he can to try to keep up with him and to try to stay there. And that's a real credit to him. This is a guy who won the US Open, finished last year No. 1, and is continuing to try to find ways to get better. I mean, I tell every guy that's on our team, "The only thing you can do as a player is to try to reach your peak, whatever that is. If that's 10 in the world, 1 in the world, 150 in the world. If you can look yourself in the mirror and say, I did everything I could to be the best player I can be, then you have everything to be proud of." And I think that's where Andy impresses me a lot, because he's already got a lot of skills and a lot of weapons in his game. But he's trying to get fitter, he's trying to get quicker, he's trying to come to net more, he's trying to add some variety to his game. And sometimes you take a step maybe sideways or a step back in that process, but in the long run I think you become a better player.
==================

I think Andre and Pete were content to let other players do the work earlier on. But I think Andy lives for it. It's his choice, he wants to be a part of it, and I don't see a problem with that. Andy has to make his own choices and if he wants to sacrifice some of his own singles results for that, I don't think anyone should tell him not to. If DC is that big of a deal to him, then that is his choice. He is a fabulous team player, I'd like to see anyone argue with that, and in the scheme of life, being a good friend and a dedicated and great team player might be something to be just as proud of as how many singles titles you won.

star
12-06-2004, 03:57 PM
I agree with that, Debstah. It's one of the reasons I admired Pat Rafter and still do admire Lleyton Hewitt.

I'm a little cynical about Davis Cup dedication because I've seen the top players in all countries give it lip service but once they find out what a burden it is to carry a country, they give it up. The exceptions of course are the Aussies, Johnny Mac, and Edberg.

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 04:03 PM
:) Well so far Andy's continuing with his dedication, full-force. I hope he continues it. You can see it and hear it in his voice that he just adores playing for his country and his friends and his team. As long as he loves it as much as he does now, I don't see him giving it up, unless something happened such that there was some real problem with it interfering with his singles. And so far, PMac and the USTA are trying to make it as easy for the team as possible. Both last year, and this coming March, they scheduled the ties in locations that were quite convenient for the team in regards to upcoming tournaments. Obviously they got a little lucky, getting home ties and whatnot, but it's something that I think will help Andy stay dedicated, too. :)

star
12-06-2004, 04:14 PM
There's only so much you can do with scheduling.

No one played away from home as much as McEnroe. But then he fed off the negative energy of the crowds. It would be great if Andy could learn to do that. McEnroe I think will always be the ultimate Davis Cup hero for the U.S, and I do think it burned him out. I just hope the team can get some good players to support Andy, but it doesn't look like it. Andy is under a lot of pressure to always win his matches.

Already Roger is following Sampras's example of withdrawing from Davis Cup to concentrate on his individual goals. It's a lot harder on Roger than on Andy because Roger usually plays doubles too.

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Well I might be biased, but I still have high hopes for Mardy, I'm looking forward to what Todd and his new coaching team can do for him. I'm optimistic that he can improve, especially mentally, and become a solid 2nd player.

Andy's not Pete or Roger - he's a buddy-buddy kind of guy and I think that as long as the Bryans and Mardy and his other buddies (James, Robby, etc.) want to play, Andy's going to want to play - if it were a different team and he didn't care so much about playing with those specific guys, it might be a different story. It's just the feeling I get - that they like doing it all, but they like doing it TOGETHER. And the rest of the team seems to be dedicated to DC, too, especially the Bryans. They consistently say their DC matches are the biggest and most important of their lives and that it was their ultimate goal as a pair, more so than a slam or anything like that.

Of course, something could change next year - anything's possible. there might be a far away tie right before a big tournament or something like that and he might bail, but I don't see him doing that at this point. And I'm glad, one of my favorite things about him is his team spirit - how he opened his house to the team twice, how the first thing out of his mouth was to ask PMac for Vince's number even though I get the feeling that there's no love lost between them, etc. So I hope that if and when the US has other singles players to rely on that he doesn't flake out for something unless it's some really necessary situation.

Maybe Pete and Roger are selfish (and I don't mean that in a bad way) and that's why they're arguably the best and the new best players of all-time. And if that's what they want - slams and titles, that is great. But I'm glad not all the players are like that. It's wonderful to hear about how happy Carlos was, especially after the pain of being left out in 2000. I'm sure this means as much to him as his French Open title. That's really special :)

star
12-06-2004, 05:52 PM
The Spanish guys are all about the team. I think it's great the way they support each other. The Swedes and the Aussies have always been that way too.

star
12-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Speaking of titles, why don't we start a new thread for 2005 and retire this one?

Bad juju and all that.

Deboogle!.
12-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Good idea :yeah:

Havok
12-07-2004, 03:28 AM
And I disagreed with his refusal to let the Bryan Bros. on the team before they won a slam and got into the top 3 in doubles. He doesn't hold singles players to those standards, why hold the doubles players to them? Did Mardy or James Blake do major damage on the tour before they were on the DC team?

See that's the thing. Singles and doubles are completely different stories when dealing with that. Did James or Fish have to do some major damage before they were selected? No, of course not. PMac decided early on in his DC captain career that he wanted a young team, so you automatically go with Roddick (who's always the top american and will be so for a long time), so his next best bet for singles was either James or Fish. Now sadly Blake is out of the picture, so it's more along the lines of Fish/Ginepri/Dent. When James was on the team he put him with Todd Martin, who were a formidable team. Singles players temaing up to play doubles have a good shot at winning because not many DC doubles teams have loads of experience. Now take a doubles player who ONLY plays doubles and try and throw him into the singles mix. That's where you get fucked.:o

Before, he had Blake/Martin for doubles, so if lets say a singles player got injured, Martin could have easily filled in for the injured player for a singles rubber as he's a damn good singles player as well and knows what he's doing out there. That is exactly the reason why Patrick was reluctant in bringing the Bryans into the team. It's not that he doesn't believe in them, but it's because there's a huge chance that that very decision of making the Bryans play doubles might bite him in the ass if an injury comes up.

star
12-07-2004, 03:38 AM
For years, the U.S. had Flack and Seguso (doubles specialists) on the DC team. They were nearly always a sure point for the U.S. I think that worked pretty well for the U.S. team even though neither of them could play singles.

Of course when McEnroe played he could easily win at doubles with nearly anybody.

Havok
12-07-2004, 03:49 AM
And when exactly was this? The game has changed.

Havok
12-07-2004, 03:52 AM
Also who were the singles players during that time? If both were decent and could hold up well vs all the other countries, then it's pointless to bring in that fact.

star
12-07-2004, 04:00 AM
:rolleyes:
They won the Olympic Gold Medal in 1988. I know that's like ancient history to you. :p

I think DC strategy has not changed all that much. One of the reasons the U.S. loved having Johnny Mac on the team was that his playing doubles gave the U.S. flexibility. (and that's history even more ancient than Flack and Seguso!) Edberg also played doubles in DC although he didn't play doubles regularly on the tour. I've always remembered that teams liked to have a singles player who could also play doubles, but when there is a fabulous doubles team such as Flack and Seguso, they've anchored the team in a special way.

Deboogle!.
12-07-2004, 05:35 AM
I think the only person that might potentially be able to do this is Mardy. Mardy is really a GREAT doubles player because of his net skills, and also having someone else on the court seems to help his mentality aspect. I think if Mardy and Andy played doubles more regularly they could be pretty successful. Mardy and James, too. They played absolutely fantastically when I saw them win the Houston title. :yeah:

Per what some of us were discussing before about Andy's dedication to DC, this is from a NY Times article:
-------

What is less impressive is Roddick's career Cup record of 1-5 on clay. The surface and challenge is certainly not going away, but neither is Roddick, who - despite his desire to get back on more equal footing with No. 1-ranked Roger Federer of Switzerland - does not plan to follow Federer's lead and skip the first round of the Davis Cup next year. The United States plays Croatia in Carson, Calif., in March.

"I've never thought of not playing Davis Cup; I don't see that changing," Roddick said.

liptea
12-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Andy wasn't bad on clay, even a diehard Moya fan will admit that.

I wish Andy would stop shaving his hair off.

liptea
12-07-2004, 05:46 AM
See that's the thing. Singles and doubles are completely different stories when dealing with that. Did James or Fish have to do some major damage before they were selected? No, of course not. PMac decided early on in his DC captain career that he wanted a young team, so you automatically go with Roddick (who's always the top american and will be so for a long time), so his next best bet for singles was either James or Fish. Now sadly Blake is out of the picture, so it's more along the lines of Fish/Ginepri/Dent. When James was on the team he put him with Todd Martin, who were a formidable team. Singles players temaing up to play doubles have a good shot at winning because not many DC doubles teams have loads of experience. Now take a doubles player who ONLY plays doubles and try and throw him into the singles mix. That's where you get fucked.:o

Before, he had Blake/Martin for doubles, so if lets say a singles player got injured, Martin could have easily filled in for the injured player for a singles rubber as he's a damn good singles player as well and knows what he's doing out there. That is exactly the reason why Patrick was reluctant in bringing the Bryans into the team. It's not that he doesn't believe in them, but it's because there's a huge chance that that very decision of making the Bryans play doubles might bite him in the ass if an injury comes up.

I miss James Blake. :sad:

Deboogle!.
12-07-2004, 05:50 AM
James will be back and strong next year... I hope. It's so sad, he had started out 2004 playing among the best he had in a while! I really hope he can get back there.

As for Andy on clay, the single biggest thing that he has to take out of this past weekend is that he IS CAPABLE of fighting with the best clay-courters in the world. I don't think he had that belief before, so he would mentally flake out on clay even against nobodies like Mutis, et al. But he played two of the absolute best clay-courters on about as slow a clay court as there is, and he played them both really close.

Man, if he doesn't take something positive out of that mentally and put up better results next clay season, then I throw my hands and give up lol

superpinkone37
12-07-2004, 06:05 AM
I miss James Blake. :sad:

me too :sad: :sad: :sad:

liptea
12-07-2004, 06:54 AM
me too :sad: :sad: :sad:

Let's be sad together.

superpinkone37
12-07-2004, 07:26 AM
Let's be sad together.

okay.

;)

but seriously, James is such a sweet guy, and I was really looking forward to seeing him moving up this past year as he had started off the season so well. And then, the injuries, tragedies, and illnesses had to happen :( Hopefully 2005 will not have nearly as much bad luck like this year.

tangerine_dream
12-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Here's eurosport's analysis of why the USA lost DC:

USA again bogged down by dirt

The red dust has settled and once again the United States have fallen in the Davis Cup finals. In losing to the clay court baseliners of Spain, the Americans failed to learn the lesson of their 2002 defeat to France at Roland Garros, writes James Buddell.

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT:

To be able to compete on clay, you need to playA LOT on the surface and beVERY patient.

THE MISTAKE:

Patrick McEnroe's selection of Andy Roddick, Mardy Fish, Bob and Mike Bryan should have travelled to Seville better prepared with more clay court matches under their belts.

In 2004, Roddick played eight matches on clay prior to the final while Fish played just one clay-court match this season and only 20 of his 153 professional performances this year were on crushed brick.

At least Roddick has proven he can play on the surface as his record of three titles in Houston, Atlanta and St Pölten, plus two other finals suggest.

FEET OF CLAY:

In practice at the Estadio Olimpico, neither Roddick nor Fish looked at ease on the surface.

As Friday's singles rubbers unfolded what became apparent was their inability to slide proficiently into their groundstrokes. Instead, the pair had to rely instead on short-step footwork.

The sliding shot used so effectively by Carlos Moya and Rafael Nadal enabled the Spaniards more time on the ball in comparison to the Americans who often &lsquocut' and floated strokes back.

As soon as Roddick and Fish fell behind, the pair became too anxious to finish the points quickly, as a result of their inability to sustain a long rally and work their opponent around the court to create an opening.

So it really did come as no surprise when Moya and Nadal won the singles rubbers to give Spain a commanding 2-0 lead, and, in effect, the title: only one nation has ever come back from a 0-2 deficit and win the Davis Cup in the competition's 114-year history.

MORE TO COME:

Yes, the United States have a team capable of winning the title on hard court surfaces.

But as captain McEnroe suggested, clay won't go away, especially with the emergence of South American countries sure to challenge for the Davis Cup trophy in future.

GOLD STAR:

Bob and Mike Bryan silenced the Spanish crowd on Saturday with an exhibition of top-quality doubles.

PURPLE HEART:

Andy Roddick proved how much the Davis Cup meant to him with a gutsy performance against Moya even though his first service delivery wasn't firing effectively.

SELECTION IN DOUBT:

Mardy Fish. A good hard-courter but other players must be tried out before he gets to play in another clay court tie.

BEST SUPPORTER:

Many American commentators believe Vince Spadea was unlucky not to be selected ahead of

Fish in the first place. Justified another selection in future after a solid season.

CAPTAIN'S REPORT:

Patrick McEnroe extended his contract through 2007 recently. He'll get another final.

SPAIN: SAME TIME NEXT YEAR?

Certainly the emergence of Rafael Nadal has fired belief that Spain can build a team around this big-match player in the future. However, they are still likely to become unstuck on the faster surfaces.

Roddick predicted Rafael Nadal to become "one of the best clay-court players in the world" but the youngest winner of the Davis Cup needs to improve his first serve. Also needs to be injury-free in 2005 to rank inside the Top 20.

FIT FOR A KING (OF SPAIN):

Carlos Moya fulfilled his dream of winning a Davis Cup for Spain with immaculate performances over Fish and Roddick. We'll forget the tears Charly in light of the heartache of missing out in 2000.

BRONZE STAR:

Tommy Robredo: Will he ever be more than a doubles, or &lsquodead' rubber player for Spain?

BETTER LUCK NEXT YEAR:

Juan Carlos Ferrero got the second singles berth, but was lucky his feelings about losing out to Nadal in the selection on opening day didn't affect the rest of the Spanish team. The former world number one finishes an injury-plagued season on a winning note and with few points to defend in 2005, expect a march on Paris.

liptea
12-08-2004, 02:06 AM
Actually, I think that Fish has a better shot at getting future Davis Cup berths after beating Robredo.

Granted Robredo may have been tipsy and it was a dead rubber, but it was one more match for him.

Mardy is very, very hot. I like watching him on telelvision.

Deboogle!.
12-08-2004, 02:15 AM
oh liptea, he's even hotter in person. like, WAY better-looking. :)

liptea
12-08-2004, 02:20 AM

Oh wow. Oh wow. :drool:

andyroxmysox12191
12-08-2004, 02:29 AM
Seriously.....his eyes want to make you swoooooon and just melt into this gushy stuff lmfao :D :lol:

Jennay
12-08-2004, 02:39 AM
Seriously.....his eyes want to make you swoooooon and just melt into this gushy stuff lmfao :D :lol:
:ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shit, must get tickets for Delray ahora. ;)

Deboogle!.
12-08-2004, 03:34 AM
Oh wow. Oh wow. :drool:

btw, you can call me Niti, that's my real name. I just like iced tea.

Niti! What a beautiful name!!!!!!

And yea... drool is right.

LOL Jen. yes get tickets to Delray. now!

Black Adam
12-09-2004, 09:15 PM
i happy that mardy played so well! 10 aces on clay and some beautiful points :yeah: