The 2004 DC Thread is Now Retired [Archive] - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

The 2004 DC Thread is Now Retired

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

star
04-11-2004, 04:37 AM
Carito the thing with the towel is normal to do on a hot day :) Why he was wearing a dark green hat on a hot day is a different matter lol

Bunkie!! This is a "normal" thing to do on a hot day?????????

Have you ever done it? I know I haven't done it. I live in a insanely hot place and I don't see ANYONE do it. A bandana maybe, but a great big ol' thick towel?

And isn't that finger thing "hook 'em horns?" I mean it looks stupid anyway, but isnt' that what it is?

Havok
04-11-2004, 04:43 AM
its normal as per tennis areas. ballboys do it, people in the stands do it. i doubt people walking in the streets do it:haha:

Carito_90
04-11-2004, 04:52 AM
Carito, bootstraps are small straps on the inside of boots, generally with a loop in them, that are used to assist the wearer pull on the boots. Most riding boots have them. Lots of cowboy boots have them. Please don't pay any attention to the way Brad uses the English language because although you may have heard about his book "Winning Ugly," he could write another called speaking ugly. There is an expression in English "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" meaning "help your self improve." What Brad said in that sentence actually means nothing at all in English, but we all have a vague idea of what he meant given the context.

hahaha oki doki, got ya!

To understand how Brad mangles the English language, just look at this sentence: "On the first point of the match they had a 45 point rally.

I didn't understand.. is it okay? lol

Bunkie!! This is a "normal" thing to do on a hot day?????????

Have you ever done it? I know I haven't done it. I live in a insanely hot place and I don't see ANYONE do it. A bandana maybe, but a great big ol' thick towel?

OMFG! :haha: :haha:
I can imagine everyone in the streets wearing that huge towel haahaha THAT'd be funny lol

star
04-11-2004, 04:54 AM
No, the sentence is not ok. He was talking about ONE point. You can't have 45 points within ONE point. He meant to say "a 45 stroke rally"

star
04-11-2004, 04:55 AM
Oh yeah. I was so afraid that Deb was giving you a completely false impression of the U.S.

I was just thinking that you were imagining people in the u.s. going around wearing towels tucked into hats.

Carito_90
04-11-2004, 04:55 AM
Oh.. talkin about doubles..
have u ever guys noticed that each time any of both players win a point, the other one hits his butt?
I mean... cool u got one in but.. is the slap in the ass sooo necesary? lol the worst of all is that after all, they seem to enjoy it! :haha: when i saw it i couldn't stop laughing!

Carito_90
04-11-2004, 04:58 AM
No, the sentence is not ok. He was talking about ONE point. You can't have 45 points within ONE point. He meant to say "a 45 stroke rally"

No i meant.. if it's okay if i dont understand it (umm.. i still don't understand but don't worry, it's not that i'm retarded, english's not my mother language as u probabli know so lol)

Oh yeah. I was so afraid that Deb was giving you a completely false impression of the U.S.

I was just thinking that you were imaginaing people in the u.s. going around wearing towels tucked into hats.

Yah i was like "are these people freaks or what? :retard:" lol

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 05:02 AM
Oh how cute .... Andy's noshing on his fingernails again. ;)

Someone's gotta get a screen capture of the two "shieks" sitting in the audience cheering Mike and Bob on. :lol:

Got it all ;) Will have a whole gallery of it up at RO tomorrow :haha:

Yes they're the only dubs I like too... that's why I'm PSYCHED they're playing Houston!!

Star, I have seen lots of people put the towel under their hats, like at sporting events and whatnot. So I stand by the statement that it's not unusual procedure on a hot humid day! ;)

omg MAL SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

star
04-11-2004, 05:03 AM
I'd go with "not unusual" but I can't go with "normal"

tangerine_dream
04-11-2004, 05:09 AM
It's now official: Mali Vai is actually worse than PMac :retard:

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 05:15 AM
It's now official: Mali Vai is actually worse than PMac :retard:

Mal makes PMac look like the god of commentating!!!

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 05:24 AM
A couple of great articles about Yankee Doodle Andy ;)
---------
Roddick is keeping his fire under control
By TOM RIFE, Naples Daily News
DELRAY BEACH — Whodathunkit?

Whodabelieved even for one nanosecond that for all his wacked-out meltdowns of the not-too-distant past, Mr. Andy Roddick would emerge as Mr. Calm, Cool and Collected of the United States Davis Cup team?

Well, OK, two fellas, maybe:

Brad Gilbert, the guru who transformed A-Rod from a marvelously talented loose cannon capable of exploding at any time, to the well-oiled machine with all weapons physical and mental at his ready.

And Patrick McEnroe, too, the captain of The Great American Road Show who knows a fighter when he sees one.

"He just loves the battle. He loves the competition. He wants to fight and that's the way he's always been since I've known him, since the first time I saw him in a Davis Cup tie in Switzerland," McEnroe said following Roddick's straight-sets bludgeoning of Sweden's Thomas Enqvist late Friday at the Delray Beach Tennis Stadium.

"Whether it's playing a baseline game in practice or playing a match, whatever it is. I mean, you can't teach that. You just have that," McEnroe added.

Roddick's performance pulled the USA even at 1-1 against the Swedes after Mardy Fish dropped his opener to Jonas Bjorkman in the World Group quarterfinal that winds up today.

After prevailing in Saturday's doubles, the United States has the 2-1 lead in the best-of-five affair.

Somewhat ironic, isn't it, that a player so in need of some sound advice just a couple of years ago would now be delivering the ol' picker-upper speech to a teammate such as Fish?

"I don't know if I've come to the place where I can actually advise someone on it," Roddick reflected. "You know, I still have a lot of learning to do myself.

With me, you know, it's just the more you do something, the more comfortable you become doing it. The more big matches you play, the easier it is. That just comes with the territory.

"Luckily for me, I was kind of able to win a couple early on in my career. Hopefully, that will set the tone," added Roddick, whose serves against Enqvist topped out at a scorching 153 miles per hour. (uh....typo? lol)

Nothing like a U.S. Open title and a dozen or so other nice trophies to give a guy a little confidence, eh? After reaching the quarterfinals of the Australian Open, the No. 2-ranked Roddick in 2004 has claimed titles in San Jose and most recently, in Miami at the Nasdaq-100.

He says Davis Cup is a different kind of grind, one he wouldn't dare miss out on. "It's fun being with the team and being with friends and guys I get along with," said the 21-year-old who played basketball at nearby Boca Prep High. "But once it starts, you know, it's a grind, too.

It's three-out-of-five sets.

"I'm living and dying every point when I'm watching my teammates, so that makes it double. But these are weeks I definitely look forward to because I get to spend time with some of my buds as well."

In Davis Cup, Roddick gladly shares the stage. "It's not about me this week," he said. "That's the whole part about the Davis Cup. It's about the team this week. If we get to three points, then I'm happy if I win matches or lose matches."

Whodathunkit?

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 05:25 AM
McEnroe is banking on Roddick

By Jamey Eisenberg, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Sunday, April 11, 2004

DELRAY BEACH -- Patrick McEnroe is confident heading into today's Davis Cup finale between the United States and Sweden because of one reason -- Andy Roddick.

Roddick is expected to play Sweden's Jonas Bjorkman in the first singles match at 2:30 p.m. in front of a sellout crowd of 6,054 at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.

With the U.S. holding a 2-1 lead in the best-of-five quarterfinal following the doubles victory from Bob and Mike Bryan on Saturday, Roddick has the chance to give his country the victory. McEnroe expects that to happen.

"He's going to be tough to beat," said McEnroe, the U.S. captain. "If someone's going to beat him, they're going to have to work their tail off. I think that gives us confidence knowing the type of game Andy will play. In addition to the firepower in his game, just the physical type of game that he's going to bring is going to be difficult to deal with."

Roddick, who easily defeated Thomas Enqvist 6-4, 7-5, 6-2 Friday and is the No. 2 player in the world, is glad his match will mean something on the final day.

"That's what Davis Cup is about," said Roddick, a Boca Raton resident. "That's why you sign up to play. It's no fun playing dead rubbers. You want to play for something, that's for sure."

Swedish captain Mats Wilander still has the opportunity to change his roster and substitute Thomas Johansson or Robin Soderling for Bjorkman. The only reason Wilander would consider that is Bjorkman played singles Friday and doubles Saturday and could be tired.

But Bjorkman is Sweden's best player and is 2-3 overall against Roddick, including a tough 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 loss at the Nasdaq-100 Open. Bjorkman, who along with Johansson lost to the Bryans 6-3, 6-4, 6-4, would like the chance to play Roddick.

"It's a very, very tough match," Bjorkman said. "But at the same time, it's Davis Cup. You just sort of go out there, dig deep. When I play my best tennis, I always have a shot. I'm here to play, I'm ready to play and everyone out there should always try to believe they can win."

Said Wilander: "Andy is a tough guy to beat, but you get a chance to play with him. He's not No. 2 in the world for nothing, but he doesn't go through the whole year without losing, either."

If Roddick loses, then the final singles match today between Mardy Fish and Enqvist will decide the tie. Fish lost to Bjorkman 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5 Friday and admitted his inexperience in just his fourth Davis Cup tie played a part.

But McEnroe said Fish will bounce back, and McEnroe is not worried about his player.

"He's settled down," McEnroe said. "I think Mardy recovers pretty well. He's had some losses before and some wins in Davis Cup. He knows he has to be ready to go. Obviously we're confident going into this fourth match, but he knows that he has to be ready."

If the U.S. wins it will host Belarus in the semifinals in September after Belarus defeated Argentina 3-0. The Bryans put the U.S. in a position to advance, and Bob Bryan is confident Roddick will get the job done.

"I wouldn't want any other guy coming out there," Bob Bryan said. "It's going to be really fun for us to just go out there and root our guts out for Andy."

star
04-11-2004, 05:28 AM
"Fish will bounce back"

He's a rubber fish. ;)

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 05:29 AM
:spit:

:haha:

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 05:56 AM
OMG!!!

his MOTHER let him out of the house looking like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://images2.wireimage.com/images/thumbnail/2535691.jpg

star
04-11-2004, 05:58 AM
It's tragic.

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 06:00 AM
it really is. she looks great, matching visor and shirt... could she not have instilled a little of that into her wonderful son?

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 06:10 AM
some Andy-related stuff in the Bryans/PMac press conference
------

Q. Patrick, does Jonas' recent performance against Andy Roddick give you any cause for concern tomorrow?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Sure. I mean, his play yesterday gives me cause for concern. But as we just talked about, he played a four-setter yesterday. He played a tough three sets today. I don't care how fresh you are, even if you're fresh, going out to play Andy Roddick tomorrow is going to be a physically demanding match for anybody. I think that gives us confidence, knowing the type of game that Andy will play. In addition to just his firepower in his game, just the physical type of game that he's going to bring to the table is going to be difficult to deal with.

Q. Patrick, obviously, nobody knows what's happening, but as a fellow coach or captain, do you see Mats maybe taking Jonas out tomorrow or going with him?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: We're not really concerned with it, to be honest. I mean, either way, the bottom line is Andy Roddick is going to be stepping on the court. So whoever they got, you know, bring'em on (way to put the pressure on PMac!)

------

Q. Will you guys give Andy a chest bump if he wins tomorrow?

BOB BRYAN: Yeah, I don't know if he -- does he like that?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: I don't know.

BOB BRYAN: Yeah, definitely. Come flying out of the crowd (smiling). If he's up for it, yeah, we'll give it to him.

------------
(this is just funny lol)

Q. Patrick, do you see anyone else in this tie as fit as Bjorkman?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: As fit?

Q. Yeah.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Yeah, I do.

Q. Who?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Andy Roddick.

Q. Anyone else?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Bob and Mike Bryan (laughter).

Nishy
04-11-2004, 06:30 AM
This is cute one with Mardy.
Andy looks like a cat playing with friend.

J. Corwin
04-11-2004, 10:50 AM
lmao at all these funny things.

Nishy, that pic was posted in another thread :). Andy thinks Mardy is his pillow. lol

star
04-11-2004, 01:54 PM
What is Mardy doing with his hand?

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 02:07 PM
I was wondering the same thing star :haha:

Andy makes him happy ;)

star
04-11-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure where this belongs.

It's a testament to that European wit and sophistication that we lack here in the colonies. ;)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040410/capt.lau0304101826.switzerland_tennis_davis_cup_la u03.jpg

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 02:32 PM
:haha:

and some more amusement to go with that
-------
"If we do end up playing Belarus -- stressing the 'if' now because we're only up 2-1 -- we'll probably look to play in similar conditions as this -- fairly slow and slow hard court, or maybe even clay," McEnroe told ESPN.com on Saturday.
-----

is he NUTS? Clay?!!!!!!!!!

Carito_90
04-11-2004, 05:33 PM
or maybe even clay," McEnroe told ESPN.com on Saturday.

WTF?!?! that's insane! :smash:

What is Mardy doing with his hand?

Oh i guess someone's tryin to cover somethin... lol

tangerine_dream
04-11-2004, 06:16 PM
More like adjusting something. ;)

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Hey, will you guys be on AIM later during the match? hope so :)

J. Corwin
04-11-2004, 09:11 PM
I won't be able to make it on AIM cuz I have to meet my project group for a class in less than an hour.

I'm thinking about calling them up and saying I won't be able to make it until a lil later... (cuz of tennis, which I won't tell them of course ;)).

star
04-11-2004, 09:19 PM
I think Jonas has hit the wall. He's trying to recover. Smart of Andy to win the first set. :)

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 10:02 PM
I have no words.

Has Andy ever played that well? He was like King Midas in the third set.

I'm sorry star.... but hopefully you're happy about how incredibly well Andy played today.

J. Corwin
04-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Very very rarely has Andy played as well as he did in the third set. Everything was coming together for him. Great win :D

star
04-11-2004, 10:16 PM
I have no words.

Has Andy ever played that well? He was like King Midas in the third set.

I'm sorry star.... but hopefully you're happy about how incredibly well Andy played today.

Of course!! And I was happy for the American kids runnign around the court with the flag. They were like a bunch of 11 month old Golden Retrievers out there. :)

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 10:24 PM
LOL!!!

Andy was such a little kid out there. He had a cheesy grin on for like 10 minutes.

Nishy
04-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Congrats Andy to win!

He played like Super Saiya-jin(from Dragon Ball) in the third set. :eek:
But if he plays against Federer, he has to become Super Saiya-jin 2? :D

tangerine_dream
04-11-2004, 10:47 PM
I've never had my ass kicked so hard by a tennis match as I have by this one. Amazing. Awesome. Speechless. :worship:

Havok
04-11-2004, 11:16 PM
:banana:

Carito_90
04-12-2004, 12:01 AM
I've never had my ass kicked so hard by a tennis match as I have by this one. Amazing. Awesome. Speechless.

Shut up! you're makin me jealous! lol i wanna watch it !

star
04-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Andy here is making my simile of the boys looking like golden retrievers a little too apt!!

Pull in that tongue, boy!!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2004-04/12196582.jpg

Carito_90
04-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Pull in that tongue, boy!!

Oh i can help him with that lol

star
04-12-2004, 12:29 AM
I can't believe that I'm actually going to post an article before Bunk. :eek:

DELRAY BEACH -- Closing with a record 152 mph serve, Andy Roddick beat Jonas Bjorkman in straight sets to clinch a U.S. victory over Sweden in the Davis Cup quarterfinals.

Roddick rallied in a grueling first set, then wore down a weary Bjorkman to win 7-6 (3), 6-4, 6-0, giving the Americans an insurmountable 3-1 lead in the best-of-five series.

The Americans will host a semifinal Sept. 24-26 against Belarus, which swept Argentina 5-0 in Minsk.

Roddick broke his own serving record of 150 mph on match point. Bjorkman managed to get his return in play but then hit a backhand in the net, giving the American the victory.

Roddick celebrated with one final forehand, throwing his racket to the crowd. He climbed into the stands to trade high-fives with teammates, then returned to the court and took an American flag on a victory lap.

It was an impressive win over a Swedish team that upset defending champion Australia in the first round.

The Americans took a 2-1 lead thanks to a doubles victory Saturday by Bob and Mike Bryan, leaving the match on the racket of their best player. The sunbaked hard court was home turf for Roddick, who grew up in nearby Boca Raton, and he started strong, with an ace followed by three consecutive service winners in the opening game.

Bjorkman rallied and was up a break at 4-3 before Roddick came back in the one-hour opening set. In the tiebreaker, Roddick chased down four volleys by Bjorkman during one exchange, finally hitting a forehand winner for a 2-1 lead that put him ahead to stay.

Not everything went Roddick's way. He ran into a linesman behind the baseline chasing a shot, lost the point and gave the official an earful. In the tiebreaker he hit a 148 mph serve, and Bjorkman still managed to win the point.

But in humid, 85-degree weather, Roddick was too strong for the 32-year-old Bjorkman, who played 10 sets in three days. Roddick dominated with his serve, as usual, but also made few errors from the baseline and moved well.

He improved to 4-0 when in a position to clinch a Davis Cup victory for the Americans. They're 36-0 since 1987 when taking a lead into Sunday.

The other Davis Cup semifinal will be between Spain and France. Spain beat the Netherlands 4-1, and France defeated Switzerland 3-2.

star
04-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Please note the following:

The Americans will host a semifinal Sept. 24-26 against Belarus, which swept Argentina 5-0 in Minsk.

:lol:

I don't know what is going on here but surely there is some explanation for it.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 12:38 AM
what was funny about that star? I missed it :(

and hush you I have to eat dinner sometime :p

Plus I gotta make video omg..... that's gonna be so tough

star
04-12-2004, 12:57 AM
I posted that before I read the thread about Belarus. You and some posters were going back and forth about that, and at that time I hadn't seen fco's post with the explanation. I just thought it was more grist for the mill.

I also thought your position of "I don't know why, but somebody must know 'cause everybody is saying it" was completely borne out. :)

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 02:15 AM
ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok gotcha!!!

tangerine_dream
04-12-2004, 02:34 AM
Why are we hosting Belarus? I thought a team couldn't host twice in a row. :scratch:

star
04-12-2004, 02:55 AM
Tangy, read the Belarus thread on GM.

Someone thinks the coin tosses are done at the beginning of the year. All the possibilites are considered then.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 02:58 AM
A team can DEFINITELY host twice in a row......heck we just did, Austria and Sweden!

it must be that the tosses are done at the beginning. How else would Belarus know that they'd host the final no matter who wins?

Carito_90
04-12-2004, 03:05 AM
OMFG!! :haha: :haha: the subject :haha: :haha:
too good deb, too good http://www.menstennisforums.com/images/smilies/notworthy.gif

Btw..
it must be that the tosses are done at the beginning. How else would Belarus know that they'd host the final no matter who wins?

Good point.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 03:14 AM
Glad you like it :) That one was toooooooooo easy!!

Carito_90
04-12-2004, 03:17 AM
I know, i'd have also came up to my mind but it's just that i read it and it sounded soo funny lol

tangerine_dream
04-12-2004, 03:27 AM
A team can DEFINITELY host twice in a row......heck we just did, Austria and Sweden!

Duh :retard: Good point. :)

And the new thread title :haha: :haha: Brilliant! :bowdown:

tangerine_dream
04-12-2004, 03:40 AM
We are the champions ... :D
http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/DC_2962_gallery.JPG

Put the tongue away, Andy :(
http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/DC_2958_gallery.JPG

Carito_90
04-12-2004, 03:53 AM
Oh god.. i think they've lived together for too long :scared:

Do u think the paparazzi's takin this kind of pics on porpous? lol

Havok
04-12-2004, 04:04 AM
man that dude with his tongue:scared: its actually pretty fun if you do it yourself (when he sticks out his tongue and touched his upper lip with it time and time again):lol:

Carito_90
04-12-2004, 04:30 AM
hahaha yeah it is.. weeeeeeeird lol

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 04:34 AM
I love the pic of the 4 of them... LOVE IT!!!!

btw, for those who care like I do. I rewatched the end of the match to make video highlights. after they showed the 38/11 winners/errors stat, I counted. Andy didn't make any more errors and he made 3 more winners

41/11 winners/errors. I think that deserves a big :worship:

J. Corwin
04-12-2004, 04:55 AM
That's almost as good as his match with Younes down under last year!

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 04:57 AM
Almost.... but nothing will ever reach that!!!!!

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 04:58 AM
And then there was the match against Max Mirnyi where he had ONE UE. Goodness gracious.

J. Corwin
04-12-2004, 05:16 AM
Well overall this match wasn't too spectacular (other than the stats), but his play in the last set was extremely impressive. Based on that last set, it would be better than the Cincy match against Mirnyi. His play was wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 05:22 AM
2004 DAVIS CUP QUARTERFINALS
SWEDEN vs. USA
DELRAY BEACH, FLORIDA

April 11, 2004

A. RODDICK/J. Bjorkman
7-6, 6-4, 6-0

ANDY RODDICK

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Andy.

Q. That first set was a very big first set mentally for you, wasn't it?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it was tough, you know. It was very similar to my first match. Jonas came out hitting the ball great, you know, and he was putting a lot of pressure on me. He was going for his shots. He was hitting his spots. He was making me think a lot out there. Luckily, I was able to get off to a very good start in the breaker, and that kind of propelled me forward.

Q. And your aggressiveness in the tiebreak, particularly the little bit surprising approach shot, made a great return off the backhand side at 5-2?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I'd like to say that was a great approach shot, but the truth is, he's making that passing shot seven out of ten times. At least I thought I might surprise him, maybe throw something different that he wouldn't think I would do in a breaker. And, you know, it ended up paying off.

Q. Some of us heard your off-camera remark on the 152 mile-per-hour serve.

ANDY RODDICK: What did I say?

Q. It was orgasmic. Maybe you can give us your thoughts.

ANDY RODDICK: (Laughing). No, that wasn't the serve; that was the whole set, yeah. But, it's true. I felt great out there in the third set. I wasn't even thinking. It was just kind of like my instincts took over. You know, it just felt amazing. I mean, that's as clean as I've felt on the tennis court, you know, in a long time - and maybe ever. I mean, it's only a handful of times where you feel like whatever shot you're trying is working. Patrick said, when I kind of held the backhand a long time, then I kind of flipped a dink cross-court, "I don't know if you have that shot." I said, "I don't either, but don't tell anybody else."

Q. When you were down love-30, 3-4 in the first set, what was your mindset?

ANDY RODDICK: Obviously, a little frustrated because, you know, I don't like losing my serve twice in a set, much less two matches in a row. But, you know, at the same time I just wanted to keep making him play. I didn't want to start panicking. I just wanted to kind of stay the course and see what happened. I knew I had two more chances to maybe break, and I felt like I was hitting my returns really well. So, you know, I try not to think too far ahead, just put each return in and try to get a pass.

Q. Tell us about the last serve. Feel that one coming?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, you know, the other night when I, you know, was cranking them out there and they were coming up large, you know, I felt like I had it in me. But, you know, for most of the day I didn't get a chance because my off-speed stuff was a lot more effective than my big serves. But then I felt I'd take a crack at it the last game.

Q. How good did it feel to clinch the round for your country, and 10 minutes from home?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, that's amazing. It's definitely better than my other memories from Delray Beach here, that's for sure (smiling). But, you know, I was already kind of preparing to go to Australia after Miami, and I probably would have gotten there Wednesday and had to play Hewitt on Friday. So, you know, 10 minutes away from home, it's a better alternative.

Q. Can you compare winning this match with winning a big match in a tournament. Is it a different feeling winning this kind of a match, Davis Cup?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it is. You get to share it with someone, you know. You have teammates that are all fired up. You have the crowd that was just amazing. I mean, sometimes after a point you could yell as loud as you wanted to, and no one could hear what you had to say anyways because they would just drown it out. The atmosphere was great. You know, even better when I'm playing for my friends and for my country as well, you know. It's a lot deeper than just a regular tournament.

Q. What's going through your mind after the matchpoint? You throw the racquet in the crowd, and step up into the stands.

ANDY RODDICK: Nothing really goes through your mind. It's just a bunch of chaos going on between my ears for a little while. I felt my teammates were up in the stands. Turns out they had sent them down to the court.

Q. You were looking for them?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I was looking for them in the stands, and they were waiting for me when I got down. We just kind of started laughing. But, you know, I definitely wanted to share that with them, and I guess they were a little smarter than I was.

Q. Who were you high-fiving instead, just strangers?

ANDY RODDICK: No, no, no, that's our staff, that's our trainer, that's our masseuse, our equipment managers. You know, there are a lot more parts to this team than just the players. So there were still a lot of familiar faces there.

Q. What about Patrick do you most appreciate?

ANDY RODDICK: You know, we've gotten to know how to act around each other on the court, on the bench. I think he's definitely learned kind of when to step in, when to step out. He knows if I'm feeling good, just to kind of just let it go, kind of be a silent partner. And when I really need it, he's definitely there. We've definitely grown as a team on the court.

Q. So he was basically just a water boy in that third set?

ANDY RODDICK: No. Well, in the third set, yeah, I was feeling okay then. But, you know, he was definitely giving me encouragement in the first set saying, "You know what, he's playing great right now. Just weather the storm." That constant reassurance is definitely a big help.

Q. Jim Courier was here. Do you still get input from him, or is he here just as a fan?

ANDY RODDICK: You know, probably more as a fan right now. I mean, obviously, it's nice having him here. He hangs out with the team. It's nice having that option to go to if you need to. But it's amazing how great he is, you know. He's a four-time Grand Slam Champion, No. 1 in the world, and he doesn't miss a Davis Cup tie - even if it's just to come to watch, support us, that's definitely pretty cool.

Q. How long will it be before you begin to look forward to your clay court season?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, considering my clay court season starts Tuesday, I better start thinking about it pretty soon.

Q. What stops will you make?

ANDY RODDICK: I'm not sure. You know, I've played a lot of tennis this year so far. So, you know, first and foremost I got to take care of my body then, you know, we'll see what happens after that.

Q. Before that last service game, you were down on the end of the court where the Swedish rooting section was. You had a running conversation going with them. Did that pump you up for that last service game?

ANDY RODDICK: Little bit. It's one thing to heckle; it's another thing to heckle when you're down two-sets-to-love and 4-0. So, you know, I just wanted to kind of reiterate that that wasn't the best time to get on someone (smiling).

Q. With three majors and five months between now and the next time you play Davis Cup, do you have a momentum carryover?

ANDY RODDICK: From this? No, it's a new tie. Obviously, we feel our chemistry just goes stronger and stronger. We feel like we have a great group together. So that definitely carries over. And almost as important, that carries over to the rest of the year for us. It just brings us closer and closer during the weeks where we aren't participating as a team and playing for each other. But there's a lot of tennis to be played. So maybe Davis Cup goes on the back burner for the next couple of months, then I'm sure once we get close to that tie, the juices will start flowing again.

Q. Everybody knows Davis Cup is a different sort of pressure from a regular tournament. Arthur Ashe would say before Davis Cup he was scared he wouldn't be able to hit the ball over the net until he got there. Do you have any such fears beforehand?

ANDY RODDICK: I've definitely been there. This is probably the first tie where I've stepped up and played to my ability consistently. You know, I had kind of a gaudy record. But, you know, a lot of that was just kind of getting through. So this was definitely a huge stepping stone for my Davis Cup career - to go up against two, you know, really good veterans and win six sets on the trot. I mean, that's a big step for me, and hopefully I can keep building on it.

Q. What did you think about the Swedish team? Did you think before the match you would win 6-0?

ANDY RODDICK: No, no. I was just hoping that we would get to three matches. I wasn't thinking about sets or anything like that. You know, especially considering I had lost to Thomas and Jonas both this year, you know, already. So I was very wary. I was very, very wary of them, that's for sure.

Q. Did you get any sense that Jonas was tired in the third set?

ANDY RODDICK: You know, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he was a little bit tired. But knowing Jonas and the shape he's in, he's gonna tell you he felt great. But, you know, I still felt like I played -- still felt like I played really good tennis. So maybe a little bit of both.

Q. As you say, Davis Cup kind of goes on the back burner now. You'll have a lot of big tennis matches in August and September. How much will you look forward to Belarus?

ANDY RODDICK: Oh, I'm excited. You know, we're playing a semifinal on home soil. And, you know, I couldn't be happier about that. It's a chance to, you know, take this dream one step further. So, you know, I'm sure we're all gonna be kind of anxious for the next couple months. But, luckily, we'll have some other pretty big tournaments to occupy our minds for a little bit.

Q. At NASDAQ you made "the" shot against Carlos Moya. Today you made a running get on a dropshot, the backhand side. Ball is maybe a foot above the ground. Couple other great runs on key points. Are you covering the court better than you ever have?

ANDY RODDICK: It's comparable to last summer. It's no secret that, you know, I'm always about playing lots of matches. I feel when I play lots of matches, you don't have to think about your footwork anymore; it just kind of happens for you. That goes with a lot of other parts of the game, too. So, you know, now I'm at the point where I feel like I am match tough, and I get out there from the first ball and I'm ready to go. There's not a whole lot of questioning myself out there right now. I definitely think that contributes to movement as well.

Q. What do you think would be the best surface to play Belarus?

ANDY RODDICK: I'm not sure. Obviously, Mirnyi enjoys fast courts. Voltchkov hits flat and has done well at Wimbledon, likes the ball low. He enjoys fast courts. So, you know, you do process of elimination, I think, on that one.

Q. Do you wish the semi was next week or in two weeks instead of stretched out?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know (laughing). I've had a pretty intense couple of weekends.

Q. But that you could carry this momentum?

ANDY RODDICK: Maybe. But at the same time, you know, maybe it's not such an equalizer. Maybe it's a true testament to the consistency of a team over a year as opposed to just a team getting hot for two or three weeks. So, you know, I'm sure there are pros and cons both ways.

Q. You look more mature inside and outside the court. Do you feel that?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, a lot of people would still question outside the court, that's for sure (smiling). But I just feel - I don't know about more mature - I'm still playing with a lot of emotion, I'm still really excited. But I'm more confident. You know, I don't go into matches and when things don't go my way start panicking, you know, as the first sets of both of these matches are kind of evidence of that. I kind of just try to stay the course and play my game. And, you know, I think that just comes from experience. You know, as kind of stupid as that is to say from a 21-year-old, that's the way I feel right now.

Q. Seemed it was a different match after that tiebreaker. Considering Jonas was playing three matches in three days, how critical was it to force him to come from behind?

ANDY RODDICK: That was huge, you know, because he was going all-out in the first set. He was taking it to me. He was playing very smart. When he was going for his shots, he was hitting them. But, you know, it's a long road back, you know, to play four sets and then, obviously, to play five sets. So, you know, probably wears on someone mentally a little bit.

Q. Is there a team celebration this evening?

ANDY RODDICK: Team celebration? Yeah, like I said, we got to go tomorrow. This ride never stops, so...

Q. How difficult was the wind?

ANDY RODDICK: I didn't notice it too much, to be honest. I mean, I think it was much worse in the earlier rounds of Miami last week. But, you know, it's something I'm kind of used to, being from this area. So, you know, little bit on the serve, but not -- I don't think it was horrible, you know, by any means.

Q. When was the last time you had that much fun, like, say, in the last set? It really looked like you were having a blast out there.

ANDY RODDICK: I have fun lots, but... I always have fun (smiling). I don't know. I was excited. You know, I just -- it's hard to explain. I just felt really good, really comfortable. But at the same time, I had my guard up still. So, you know, once I got the third break, I was just excited to kind of try to finish it, be with my teammates and kind of share it with them.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 05:36 AM
Finally someone talks about all the coughing.... maybe Andy should get sick more often lmfao. And man, this lady is definitely one of the best tennis writers out there!
---------

Roddick returns favor

By Karen Crouse, Palm Beach Post Columnist
Monday, April 12, 2004

DELRAY BEACH -- The racket hovered like one of Willie Wonka's gold certificates in the heavy air, alighting finally in the hands of a man who had brought his young son to the Delray Beach Tennis Center to watch the U.S. play its Davis Cup quarterfinal match against Sweden.

Forget the record 152 mph serve that Andy Roddick conjured up against Jonas Bjorkman Sunday afternoon on what turned out to be the point that clinched the United States' victory. When a rapturous Roddick flung his racket into the stands in spontaneous celebration and it ended up in a young fan's hands, that was the real Hollywood ending.

Once upon a time, Roddick was the wide-eyed kid whose affinity for tennis took root at a Davis Cup match and started to bear bountiful fruit years later. He was 10 years old when his parents drove him to Fort Worth, Texas, to watch the U.S. play Switzerland. Roddick was smitten from the first serve.

Those three days in December 1992 were the beginning of a beautiful relationship, one that deepened over the weekend as the 21-year-old, playing 10 minutes from his Boca Raton home, defeated the 32-year-old Bjorkman 7-6(3), 6-4, 6-0.

With the victory, Roddick improved his Davis Cup record to 12-3 and gave the U.S. its decisive third match victory (or rubber). Mardy Fish, a teammate of Roddick at Boca Prep, would follow Roddick on the court and defeat Thomas Johnasson 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 to pad the Americans' 4-1 victory.

The U.S. will host Belarus in the semifinals in September, at a site to be determined. No matter where the match takes place, no matter what happens the rest of the year, it'll be tough to top the emotional rush that Roddick and Fish experienced during this Davis Cup.

For the Boca boys, it was a home crowd in the most literal sense. They couldn't glance in the stands without seeing somebody they knew. The rush was so great, it was enough to give them memory lock.

Roddick especially relished the atmosphere. Since his U.S. Open victory last September, he can't appear anywhere without being recognized. So it was a rare treat for him to have the familiarity go both ways.

"Amazing" is how Roddick described it. He might have called it serendipitous.

If not for the Swedes' upset of defending champion Australia in February, the Americans would have had to fly to the other side of the globe to play the quarterfinal on the Aussies' home turf.

Jet lag wouldn't have been Roddick's only worry. He developed flu-like symptoms toward the end of his championship run at the Nasdaq-100 Open in Key Biscayne, which ended four days before the Davis Cup festivities officially got under way with the draw announcement.

Roddick, being Yankee Doodle Andy, wasn't going to let a hacking cough keep him from his patriotic duty. Patrick McEnroe, the U.S. captain, said it was a godsend that Roddick was able to feed his cold with home-cooked meals and sleep in his own bed.

"Andy wouldn't admit that he was sick," McEnroe said, "but we were certainly keeping an extra eye on him without him knowing it."

Illness? What illness?

If not for all the coughs he tried to muffle in his T-shirt, you'd never have guessed Roddick wasn't healthier than Jack LaLanne. Against Bjorkman, he produced some of the most resplendent tennis of his life.

Roddick weathered Bjorkman's high-quality shotmaking in the first two sets, then played the third set as if in a dream. On the 11th point of the first game, he bounded across the court to retrieve a drop shot and, on a dead run, struck a backhand crosscourt shot for a winner.

A fan could sit through a fortnight of matches without seeing so lovely a shot. It led to a memorable exchange with McEnroe on the next changeover.

McEnroe: "I don't know if you have that shot."

Roddick: "I don't either, but don't tell anybody else."

Roddick was in such a groove, he didn't face a break point on his serve in the set and he won 15 of the last 16 points.

"I wasn't even thinking. It was just kind of like my instincts took over," Roddick said. "It just felt amazing. I mean, that's as clean as I've felt on the tennis court in a long time -- maybe ever."

152 mph serve breaks record

The score was 5-0, 40-love when Roddick reared back and unleashed the fastest serve ever recorded. His 152 mph offering to Bjorkman was 2 mph faster than the record Roddick established in the previous round of Davis Cup play, against Austria in Connecticut.

The serve traveled faster than a rumor, but Bjorkman somehow managed to return it. Back and forth the ball went, time seemingly suspended, until Bjorkman hit the fifth shot of the rally into the net.

Roddick turned toward the stands on the east side and looked for his parents, Blanche and Jerry, and brother Lawrence. He stroked a ball into the stands, chased it with his racket and then threw himself into the crowd.

He climbed the retaining wall in search of his teammates, oblivious to the fact that while he was busy sealing the victory, Fish and the doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan were ushered onto the court.

Roddick high-fived friends and acquaintances in the stands, then returned to the court, where somebody slipped him an American flag. Roddick proudly paraded it the length of the tennis court before handing it off to Fish.

Twelve years earlier, Roddick had gotten goose bumps watching Andre Agassi carry the flag in a victory lap after the U.S. defeated Switzerland. On Sunday, in 84-degree heat, it was his turn to raise the hairs on everybody's arms.

Roddick couldn't say what was going through his mind as he basked in the crowd's adulation. "It's just a bunch of chaos going on between my ears," he said.

Chaos? Nah. Just the emphatic beating of a patriot's heart.

star
04-12-2004, 05:42 AM
So he was sick! Tangy and Bunk were right!

But he didn't run the flag the lenght of the court. He handed it off to a Bryan brother halfway down and then Mardy got it at the end of the court where they stopped for the picture that is now on the DC site.

This correction of course is crucial to the story. :D

tangerine_dream
04-12-2004, 05:46 AM
I gotta write an e-mail to that Karen lady, her articles are awesome! :yeah:

And YES! We are vindicated! Andy the Faker was SICK! *cough cough* The kid could be half dead on a gurney and he'd still be like, "No, no, I can finish the match..." *crawls away on court*

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 06:02 AM
Well if he's playing that well when sick.... *can't even think about it* lol

Then again it's a cold and that's all it sounded like. Colds don't do anything to me but make me cough and sniff, I don't get any more tired. So maybe Andy reacts the same way and it just didn't affect his playing at all. But nonetheless, good to know he's ok and stuff. I noticed he was still coughing today but not as hard.

Also, ALL The videos are up. I busted my ass just for you Naldo so you better like them!!!!

Carito_90
04-12-2004, 06:08 AM
Yeah, i remember in the nasdaq 100, he was always coughing in every single match and i was like "wtf's goin on with this kid!" haha i was kinda worried.. but nuthin can stop duckboy! :D

Havok
04-12-2004, 06:13 AM
:kiss: will go see them now.

J. Corwin
04-12-2004, 06:20 AM
Well then they aren't flu-like symptoms. It's a cold.

heya
04-12-2004, 06:22 AM
QUOTE=Nishy]This is cute one with Mardy.
Andy looks like a cat playing with friend.[/QUOTE]
Purrrrr:devil:

I'm not in the least surprised that he can hit any shot from any place on court. Beautiful and graceful too. :hearts:

Deboogle!.
04-12-2004, 06:23 AM
no, flu-like would be fatigue and muscle pain, I don't see how he'd be able to play top-level tennis with that. Upset tummy and a cough.... that's more like a cold, imo :) But you know, these reporters like to over-dramatize. It sounds much more dramatic to think that Andy played through the flu instead of a mild cold ;)

heya
04-12-2004, 06:34 AM
I had an even worse cough long ago cuz many sick people were around me.
Germs spread fast. :scared: :mad:

J. Corwin
04-12-2004, 06:39 AM
I still have a cough that started almost a month ago...

tangerine_dream
04-23-2004, 06:19 PM
A commentary from tennis-x.com about the US vs Belarus. :bounce:

U.S. Can’t Look Past Belarus in Davis Cup Semis – Or Can They?
By*Richard Vach

The Andy Roddick-led U.S. team will face surprise winner Belarus in the semifinals of the Davis Cup in September, with a likely contest against Spain on clay in the December final.

It will be difficult for the U.S. squad not to look past Belarus to the final, with few countries able to come in to Spain without getting embarrassed on the red dirt. For now the focus of U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe’s team must be Max “The Beast” Mirnyi and Vladimir Voltchkov, possibly one of the least-imposing semifinal teams in World Group history.

"It's a good match-up," Pat Mac said of the Belarus contest. Good for the U.S., that is. "For them it's huge to get this far. Mirnyi is a big-match player. Voltchkov was a Wimbledon semifinalist and is a streaky player."

Roddick is 2-0 career versus The Beast, and has never faced Voltchkov. Voltchkov has likewise never faced Mardy Fish, who may or may not be the No. 2 singles player for the U.S. five months from now. Fish could not come through with a win this past weekend in his opening singles match against Jonas Bjorkman, lowering his D-Cup record to 1-3, but won a dead rubber match against Thomas Johansson on Sunday. The No. 2 singles spot has always been competitive among the host of U.S. “B”-level players outside the Top 20, including James Blake, Robby Ginepri, Taylor Dent, and now Vince Spadea.

Belarus is a fast-court team, with The Beast crashing the net at every opportunity and Voltchkov growing up on fast indoor courts. One option for U.S. captain Pat Mac would be to put the Belarussians on (gulp!) red clay, taking away their aggressive games and getting in some early practice for the final in Spain (in the likely event that Spain beats France in the semifinals).

While Roddick has yet to make an impact at the French Open, he has won back-to-back titles on the red clay at Houston, and Fish has shown himself adept on the dirt with a win at Slovakia on clay.

Much can change in the five months until the Davis Cup, as was evident in Belarus’ win over Argentina. The Argentine’s path to the Davis Cup final had been paved, with Belarus in the quarters, then hosting the U.S. on clay, then Spain in the final. But that was before injuries to Top 10 players Guillermo Coria and David Nalbandian, and with scrubs Guillermo Canas and Agustin Calleri filling in at the last minute, Argentina was rolled 5-0 by Belarus.

"For 10 years we struggled for this result, and today's victory was a reward," said Cup-crazy Belarus captain Sergei Teterin after blowing out Argentina.

The choice of surface will be critical for the U.S. against Belarus. U.S. coach Pat Mac almost botched the surface against Sweden, with opposing coach Mats Wilander voicing his surprise at the slow hardcourts, which contributed to the net-rushing Fish’s loss against Bjorkman and his precision passing shots.

Rather than another slow hardcourt, why not send a message to the Spaniards and put Belarus on the red dirt? Roddick and Fish have shown they can serve through the soft stuff, and French Open doubles champs Bob and Mike Bryan are virtually a lock against The Beast/Voltchkov.

It’s been nine years since the U.S. has won the Davis Cup, and it would be a giant upset to win in Spain against French Open singles champs Carlos Moya and Juan Carlos Ferrero. For the young upstart U.S. squad it would be the perfect opportunity to nullify Belarus and at the same time send the Spaniards, who have contested two finals in the last four years, a warning shot – we’re coming into your house, and we’re leaving with the Cup.

J. Corwin
04-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Intimidating, eh?

tangerine_dream
04-23-2004, 08:39 PM
I think the US DC team should pull a Bush --- overstate the Spaniards' brilliance on clay (puts all the pressure on them) and let everyone believe that Americans are afraid of clay so that they underestimate us. :devil:

J. Corwin
04-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Oooo..the play yourself down trick. :devil:
You're so sneaky Essy. :devil:

Deboogle!.
04-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Essy :haha:

Deboogle!.
05-18-2004, 11:56 PM
*drumroll please*......

not a surprise really.....

-----------

Charleston gets Davis Cup semifinals

(05-18) 15:04 PDT WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) --

Charleston, S.C., will host the U.S. Davis Cup team's semifinal against Belarus in September.

It's the first time Davis Cup matches will be played in South Carolina, where a formal announcement will be made Wednesday.

The U.S. Tennis Association had until Tuesday to pick a site. Its five other finalists were Atlanta; Carson, Calif.; Fort Worth, Texas; Houston; and Tunica, Miss.

Tickets for the best-of-five series Sept. 24-26 go on sale next month.

The surface will be a slow, hard court. (good choice :yeah: )

The U.S. team is expected to be led by U.S. Open champion Andy Roddick and the top-ranked doubles team of twins Bob and Mike Bryan. They were on the squad that beat Sweden 4-1 in the quarterfinals last month in Delray Beach, Fla., while Max Mirnyi and Vladimir Voltchkov led Belarus past Argentina 5-0.

Spain's tennis federation announced last week that the Mediterranean resort city of Alicante will host its semifinal against France. A court will be set up in a bullring.

If the U.S. team wins in September, it would host France or travel to Spain for December's final.

star
05-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Spain's tennis federation announced last week that the Mediterranean resort city of Alicante will host its semifinal against France. A court will be set up in a bullring.

Deboogle!.
05-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Isn't that what they did for the QF in April too? :)

J. Corwin
05-19-2004, 12:55 AM
TOH-ro! TOH-ro!

tangerine_dream
05-19-2004, 01:31 AM
Whoo hoo!! Charleston, SC! I may have to go to that one! :woohoo:

Fumus
05-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Spains gonna win they are tooo tooo tooo nasty..

Deboogle!.
09-05-2004, 06:02 AM
So with Mardy, Robby, and Taylor all playing like ass and the Bryans troubles with Mike's hip.... this is suddenly not looking too good...

Marina 1203
09-05-2004, 10:07 AM
What with brothers Bryans? With them everything is all right.

Deboogle!.
09-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Mike apparently has a pretty bad hip problem. Why they have been playing lately, I don't know or understand... according to Carole, they said that he's been getting injections to put off surgery (it'd be the type of surgery that Guga or Norman had :(:(:()

andyroxmysox12191
09-05-2004, 07:24 PM
:bigcry: mmiiiikkkkeeee :bigcry:

superpinkone37
09-05-2004, 07:29 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww these players need to stop getting hurt!!!!

Havok
09-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Well who else does belarus have besides Max? A shit Mardy, Dent, or Ginepri is good enough to beat the other dude and possible Max himself.

superpinkone37
09-05-2004, 10:49 PM
hmm, any one wanna look it up? lol

Deboogle!.
09-05-2004, 10:51 PM
not positive of the spelling but their other player is Voltchkov. I think he and Max play dubs together, even... it's pretty much a two man team I'm pretty sure.

superpinkone37
09-05-2004, 11:02 PM
ohhh yeah now that name sounds familiar lol. hehe, well i hope it is hot in south carolina or wherever davis cup is so our boys can wear them out ;)

smucav
09-05-2004, 11:14 PM
NEW YORK · It's a silly game played by too many men and women in professional tennis and, unfortunately, no one in the ITF, the ATP or the WTA seems to want to do anything about the basic dishonesty of it all.

Here's how it's played:

On Aug. 20, three days after he and Max Mirnyi lost in doubles at the Olympics, Vladimir Voltchkov informed the ATP he had a wrist injury and would have to drop out of the qualifying tournament for the U.S. Open.

This sent alert reporters scurrying, because Mirnyi and Voltchkov are the only two players of consequence on the Belarus Davis Cup team that plays the United States, Sept. 24-26, in Charleston, S.C.

If Voltchkov was seriously injured, they would have to go to their No. 3 player, Alexander Shvec, who hasn't played in so long he's not even on the ATP ranking list, which is about 1,500 players long.

I dashed off an e-mail to Paul Grablevski, vice president of the Belarus Tennis Federation to find out the extent of Voltchkov's injury. He wrote back: "Quite honestly, I have no comments on this. Our pro players make their entries and withdrawals by themselves." Thanks for the insight, Paul.

Then, on Friday, I spoke with Nicolai Mirnyi, Max's father and longtime coach, and the whole situation became clear.

"He's not hurt," Nicolai Mirnyi said. Yes, but the tournament referee here says he has a wrist injury, I informed him.

Mirnyi smiled, then explained that Voltchkov, who had previously signed to play the qualifying, decided he didn't want to come to the United States, lose in qualifying, fly home to Minsk and then return again to the United States to play Davis Cup.

There are fines and penalties for faking injuries to avoid tournaments, but I can't remember when it was enforced. It's hard to blame the tours. How, for example, do you dispute a player who reports that he or she is "suffering from fatigue." They could demand the player fly to Ponte Vedra (the men's headquarters) or St. Petersburg (women's headquarters) for a physical with a tour designated doctor, but that's a big-ticket budget item.

In Voltchkov's case, there must be dozens of friendly doctors in Belarus who would gladly take his word that his wrist is in agony and sign and send a letter off to tour headquarters.

This little game is not only silly. It's stupid, and it insults the people who want a high degree of integrity in the game.

I can guarantee you that Voltchkov will show up for Davis Cup the week of Sept. 19, and his wrist will never feel better. Let's hear it for modern medicine.

Fake injuries hurt sport's credibility (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-brickten29aug29,0,169283.column?coll=sfla-sports-tennis), Charles Bricker, Sun-Sentinel, August 29, 2004

superpinkone37
09-05-2004, 11:23 PM
hmmm interesting. thanks for posting :)

Marina 1203
09-06-2004, 02:51 AM
Mike!!!!!!!!!!! very bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad:
this pic with Davis Cup? :)

smucav
09-06-2004, 03:26 AM
This sent alert reporters scurrying, because Mirnyi and Voltchkov are the only two players of consequence on the Belarus Davis Cup team that plays the United States, Sept. 24-26, in Charleston, S.C. If Voltchkov was seriously injured, they would have to go to their No. 3 player, Alexander Shvec, who hasn't played in so long he's not even on the ATP ranking list, which is about 1,500 players long.

This statement (& Miryni's poor singles record in 2004: http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity/default.asp?player=M595) indicate to me that the U.S. will be okay in the semifinal as long as Andy & the Bryans are able to play. Anyone can take the #2 spot.

The finals however are another story.

Deboogle!.
09-06-2004, 03:31 AM
well that's the thing... CAN the Bryans play? They lost pretty soundly to Bennetau/Mahut late last night. It sounds like Mike is in pretty bad shape.

Jennay
09-06-2004, 03:42 AM
Mike :bigcry:

smucav
09-06-2004, 03:54 AM
I don't know what happened in that match. Bjorkman/Woodbridge were also upset, so maybe doubles is becoming as deep as singles?

Jim Courier said earlier in the week that the Bryan with the hip problem (Mike?) has been told that he might be able to correct the problem with rest rather than surgery (a la Guga & Norman). That's why he didn't enter the mixed doubles this year.

If one of the Bryans isn't able to play in the semifinals, what will PMac do: take a chance putting a third singles player with the other Bryan or put two singles guys together in the doubles? Given that I believe Andy can win two matches & the second singles player (whoever he may be) could beat Voltchkov--& probably Miryni as well given his poor record & the home court advantage--maybe he's better off resting the Bryans for the final (which will certainly be more competitive whether it is v. France or Spain). Miryni & Voltchkov are not a particularly formidable doubles team anyway.

Deboogle!.
09-06-2004, 04:05 AM
I agree... I'd almost rather see Andy and Mardy go for doubles, or even Mardy and James if James is healthy enough at that point.

Mike's health is more important than the Davis Cup - even if Mike might not think so.

superpinkone37
09-06-2004, 05:28 AM
like how bad is mike's problem? it couldnt be that bad as of now if they still chose to play in the mens doubles...i mean they have never lost in davis cup right? or some thing close to being unbeatable.... anyways, i dunno- whats the exact date for davis cup? i keep thinking its so far away, but then i remember, its like the end of this month right?

Deboogle!.
09-06-2004, 05:39 AM
yah they're 3-0 (and 9-0 in sets) in DC... but yeah. It doesn't sound good. Yes DC is the end of this month, Sept. 24-26 or something close to that

I mean those kids love DC more than even Andy does, I think... it'd probably take an army to keep mike off court, esp considering it's just one match.... but... again, his health and the longevity of their career is more important than one little match.

superpinkone37
09-06-2004, 05:48 AM
yah they're 3-0 (and 9-0 in sets) in DC... but yeah. It doesn't sound good. Yes DC is the end of this month, Sept. 24-26 or something close to that

I mean those kids love DC more than even Andy does, I think... it'd probably take an army to keep mike off court, esp considering it's just one match.... but... again, his health and the longevity of their career is more important than one little match.

yeah i totally agree with that. they are way into Davis Cup and i dont think anything is gonna keep them away at this point. but i hope they dont do anything stupid, i hope whatever is wrong with mike is not gonna affect him for much longer

Golfnduck
09-06-2004, 04:16 PM
So with Mardy, Robby, and Taylor all playing like ass and the Bryans troubles with Mike's hip.... this is suddenly not looking too good...
Does not look very good at all. But maybe whoever gets selected will step up their game. Maybe PMac will convince Andre to do Davis Cup *fingers crossed*

smucav
09-07-2004, 02:11 PM
NEW YORK · Mike Bryan, half of the U.S. Davis Cup doubles team, has a serious hip injury that could require surgery, but he's planning to give it a great deal of rest between now and the semifinal tie against Belarus Sept. 24-26, in Charleston, S.C. He and his twin, Bob, are confident they can battle through the one match before Mike has to make a decision on having an operation.

Mike has seen a couple of specialists, including Dr. Thomas Byrd of Nashville, Tenn., who has performed this laser labrum surgery on four other ATP pros, including Sargis Sargsian, who has had the best U.S. Open during this fortnight.

"Mike's not completely healthy. He's got a hip problem that could be very serious down the road, and the way he's feeling right now, we can play one match. But three days in a row could wear him down," Bob said Monday as he tried to explain the mini-slump the twins find themselves in. "One doctor said for him to have the surgery and he can come back stronger than ever in four to six months. But another said don't go under the knife until you're retired from tennis."

The four players who have had this surgery are Sargsian, Gustavo Kuerten, Harel Levy and Magnus Larsson. Only Sargsian is playing at a high level, and Mike Bryan is facing some rough choices.

Although doubles requires him to cover less court than those four singles players, the hip injury definitely inhibits his play. "This hasn't been the summer we've wanted," said Bob.

Though the twins, who live in Camarillo, Calif., have won five tournaments, including Los Angeles after the injury cropped up, they're not doing well right now. They went out in the quarters at the Olympics to Chileans Nicolas Massu and Fernando Gonzalez, who won the gold; in the round of 16 at Cincinnati; in the round of 16 at the Canadian Open; and in the round of 16 at Wimbledon.

"I think Mike can be at the top of his game if he can get over a little pain mentally. We think we can play hard at Davis Cup," Bob said.

Bryans to play Davis doubles, then Mike will mull surgery (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-opennotes07sep07,0,3720935.story?coll=sfla-sports-tennis), Sun-Sentinel.com, 9/7/04

Deboogle!.
09-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Mike :hug: :sad:

I knew they'd play DC, though, I knew it :)

that's also the same doctor that helped Mardy, sounds like he's THE guy for this type of problem

Jennay
09-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Mike :tears: :sad: :hug: I hope he gets better REALLY soon!

andyroxmysox12191
09-07-2004, 08:02 PM
aaaaaawwwwwww miiikkeeeee :bigcry: :hug: he better get better soon and by soon i mean NOW! :bigcry:

superpinkone37
09-08-2004, 02:22 AM
awwww mike!!!! im glad he will, but i hope he doesnt make anything worse.........

Deboogle!.
09-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Well PMac picked Mardy... and it seems like the Bryans will play.. so let's hope Mardy finds his brain :o

smucav
09-08-2004, 04:02 PM
NEW YORK · U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe said Tuesday he expects that Mike Bryan, half of his doubles team against Belarus, Sept. 24-26, is going to be "fine to play one match," but that afterward Bryan is going to have to make a decision about the hip injury that has led to the decline in his play.

"He does have an injury and he's going to have to address that," McEnroe said. "But right now he's absolutely fine. The boys [twins Bob and Mike Bryan] have not had the summer they expected. But I believe part of that is Mike dealing with the injury."

McEnroe suggested that thinking about the injury has had an effect on Mike's game and has become something of a mental or emotional distraction. "I don't think it's affecting him that much in his matches, but he's thinking about the long-term effects."

McEnroe will formally announce his team today, and there will be no surprises -- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish in singles and the twins in doubles to play Belarus' Max Mirnyi and Vladimir Voltchkov.

The team will assemble in Charleston, S.C., on Sept. 20 for a week of practice on the slow stadium hardcourt there. The speed of the surface will approximate the speed of the hardcourt that was used at the Delray Beach Tennis Center for the quarterfinals against Sweden.

The Bryan hip injury cropped up after that tie and is primarily responsible for the twins' receding fortunes. They were 26-4 through the Sweden match, 24-8 since. They lost their opening-round matches at Toronto and Cincinnati and went out in the quarters at the Olympics.

McEnroe said he isn't going to spend time worrying about a possible Davis Cup final and how the Bryan brothers figure into that. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," he said. But if the United States has to go to Spain to play on clay (the Spanish are favored over France in the other semifinal), the doubles point becomes even more critical because the Bryan brothers are 2003 French Open winners and the U.S. singles players have not been dominant on red clay.
Bryan OK for match vs. Belarus (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-opennote08sep08,0,5206380.story?coll=sfla-sports-tennis), Sun-Sentinel.com, 9/8/04

Golfnduck
09-08-2004, 06:06 PM
I hope the USA wins the semi-final. It would be really cool if they won the Davis Cup. I hope Mike gets a lot of rest and I also hope that Mardy can find his game that he had at the Olympics. GO TEAM USA!!! :worship:

smucav
09-08-2004, 08:15 PM
USTA Names Roddick, Fish and Bryan Twins to U.S. Davis Cup Squad to Face Belarus in Charleston Sept. 24-26

9/8/04 6:37 PM

Only Four Teams Remain In Quest For 2004 Davis Cup Title

Tickets Available By Calling 888-484-USTA

FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y., September 8, 2004 - The USTA and U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe today announced that defending US Open champion Andy Roddick, Olympic silver medallist Mardy Fish, and the world No. 2 doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan will represent the United States against Belarus in the 2004 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Semifinal. The U.S. continues its quest for its 32nd Davis Cup title with this best-of-five match series Sept. 24-26 at the Family Circle Tennis Center in Charleston, S.C. A limited number of tickets for the event are available by calling (888) 484-USTA.

Of the 142 nations that compete in Davis Cup, only four teams remain. Belarus, a former Soviet republic, advanced into the Davis Cup semifinal with upset wins over Russia and Argentina. This will be the first meeting between the United States and Belarus.
"I’m looking forward to a great week in Charleston where I’m confident that our guys will up to the task of defeating Belarus,” said McEnroe. “Our team is focused on returning the United States to the Davis Cup final and help bring the Cup back home.”

Roddick, 22 and a resident of Austin, Texas, is the reigning US Open men’s singles champion and world’s No. 2 player. To date in 2003, Roddick has won four titles, and was a singles finalist at Wimbledon. A member of the 2004 U.S. Olympic Team, Roddick has been a member of the U.S. Davis Cup team since 2001, holding a 12-3 career Davis Cup record.

Fish, 22 and a resident of Tampa, Fla., is fresh off winning a silver medal at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece. A member of the U.S. Davis Cup team since 2002, Fish holds a 3-4 career Davis Cup record (2-3 in singles). He won his first ATP singles title last year in Stockholm, Sweden.

Bob Bryan, 25 from Camarillo, Calif., made his Davis Cup debut last September in the Davis Cup World Group Playoff against Slovakia and holds a 3-0 Davis Cup record in doubles with his twin brother Mike Bryan. Bob and Mike won their first Grand Slam men’s doubles title at the 2003 French Open, becoming the most successful brother doubles team in the Open era of professional tennis. He and Mike Bryan have won 19 doubles titles as a team and were members of the 2004 U.S. Olympic team. Bryan also won the 2003 US Open mixed doubles title with Katarina Srebotnik.

Mike Bryan, 25 from Camarillo, Calif., won the 2002 US Open and 2003 French Open mixed doubles titles with Lisa Raymond, in addition to his 2003 French Open men’s doubles title with brother Bob. Mike has won 21 career ATP doubles titles and, with his brother, won a bronze medal in men’s doubles at the 1999 Pan American Games. The Bryans are the only sets of brothers to pair in victory for the United States Davis Cup team since the competition began in 1900.

Play on Friday, September 24 will begin at 1 p.m. with the first of two singles matches. Saturday’s play will consist of the doubles match beginning at 2:30 p.m., while Sunday’s final two reverse singles matches will begin at 12:30 p.m.

This United States vs. Belarus semifinal marks the first time that Davis Cup will be played in South Carolina. The Family Circle Tennis Center has hosted the WTA Tour’s Family Circle Cup since 2001.

The winner of the United States vs. Belarus Davis Cup semifinal will face the winner of the Spain vs. France semifinal that will be played in Alicante, Spain. The United States is looking to return to the Davis Cup final for the first time since 1997.

AIG is the official sponsor of the U.S. Davis Cup Team.

Wilson is the official ball of the U.S. Davis Cup team and the U.S. - Belarus Davis Cup semifinal.

http://www.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=102809

smucav
09-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Also:

An Interview with Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2004-09-08/200409081094665728386.html)

Éowyn
09-09-2004, 12:10 AM
aww mardy doens't need abrain he needs to stop panicing whne other players get hurt

superpinkone37
09-09-2004, 01:39 AM
aww mardy doens't need abrain he needs to stop panicing whne other players get hurt

yeah well if he found his brain maybe he wouldnt choke so bad....he needs some major fixing up on his mental game

Deboogle!.
09-09-2004, 01:42 AM
No... I must disagree. Mardy needs a brain. I've seen him play in person and I've seen the way he practices and stuff.. his problems are mental, and not just when the opponent is injured (though that probably makes it even WORSE)

Éowyn
09-09-2004, 01:47 AM
aww poor mardy *huggles mardy*

Éowyn
09-10-2004, 11:16 PM
so are they gonna beat belarus then?

Deboogle!.
09-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Roddick gets another chance in Charleston, S.C.

BY MICHELLE KAUFMAN

Knight Ridder Newspapers

NEW YORK - (KRT) - Andy Roddick did not stick around to watch the U.S. Open men's semifinals. And he didn't need that second airplane seat for his trophy, as he does on the clever credit card commercial.

Roddick couldn't get out of Flushing Meadows fast enough Thursday night after being stunned in the quarterfinals by Joachim Johansson, the unheralded 6-6 Swede with a serve as big as Roddick's, a punishing forehand and a steely disposition that allowed him to knock the defending champion off center court in the first five-set match of Johansson's career.

``If there was a flight at LaGuardia leaving in 20 minutes, I'd go,'' Roddick said after the 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 2-6, 6-4 loss.

The eliminations of Roddick and Andre Agassi mean there is no American in the men's semifinals for the first time since 1986. It also means Roddick will finish the year without a Grand Slam title after winning his first in an emotional display at last year's U.S. Open. Roddick lost in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open, the second round of the French Open, and the final at Wimbledon.

``I fought until the end, gave it everything I had,'' Roddick said. ``But it's disheartening, disappointing. Right now I don't feel great. I've had a good year, but I just need to step up.

``I lost a few heartbreakers in Slams, need to win those. Easier said than done, but losses like this, they make me hungrier. Hopefully, I'll come back with something good.''

His next chance comes on Sept. 24 in Charleston, S.C., when the U.S. Davis Cup team opens semifinal play against Belarus.

Roddick and his teammates, Mardy Fish, Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, will gather at Roddick's Austin house Monday for a minicamp, then fly out next weekend.

``That's first on my list,'' Roddick said. ``That's what I have left, one of my goals. I like to look forward and not back, so that's looking me in the eyes right now. So, that would make it a good year, winning Davis Cup.''

He didn't plan to spend a whole lot of time replaying the Johansson match in his mind. He knew exactly what went wrong. Johansson ``served out of a tree,'' and was able to save 12 of Roddick's 15 break-point chances.

``You don't need to analyze the match any further than break points had and break points converted,'' Roddick said. ``That's pretty much the whole match. I had a lot, didn't convert that much. He had a couple and converted almost every one he had. So, that's pretty much the match.''

Roddick won 152 points to Johnasson's 128, but in the end, that made no difference.

``You don't play best 501 out of 1,000 points, you play three out of five sets,'' Roddick said. ``He won three sets, he's the winner of the match. Points don't matter. They matter how and when you win them. Credit to him for bearing down on those points.''

superpinkone37
09-12-2004, 01:52 AM
awww poor andy. oh well, hopefully he can focus on davis cup now. i know its not really important if youre dealing with results and stuff, but after his loss this week and know how much DC really means to him, i really really hope they can win it :)

Deboogle!.
09-12-2004, 01:58 AM
well if Andy wants to seriously win DC this year he either has to:

~put a voodoo spell on Spain
~learn how to play on clay really fast.

Otherwise he can add losing the DC final to the disappointing list this year.

andyroxmysox12191
09-12-2004, 02:01 AM
:sobbing:

superpinkone37
09-12-2004, 02:04 AM
well if Andy wants to seriously win DC this year he either has to:

~learn how to play on clay really fast.

Otherwise he can add losing the DC final to the disappointing list this year.

awww but i hope DC doesnt turn into another dissapontment. i guess andy better start working on that voodoo. ;)

Deboogle!.
09-12-2004, 02:05 AM
or learning how to play on clay :rolleyes: :o

smucav
09-12-2004, 02:30 AM
put a voodoo spell on Spain
You never know; France could pull out the win. A lot of people predicted Spain would beat Australia in the final last year considering they had two top five players (Ferrero & Moya) with good hardcourt seasons and Moya's good lifetime record v. Hewitt.

Ferrero has been tanking lately: I'm wondering if they'll even put him on the team. France has a very good doubles team (Santoro & Llodra) who have played very well this year in both singles & doubles; Grosjean & Clement are no slouches either. Mathieu just showed he had a lot of heart at the U.S. Open. Sure Spain has a home court advantage, but the surface doesn't really give them as much of an edge over France as it would some other teams.

Éowyn
09-12-2004, 03:19 AM
:tape:

Deboogle!.
09-12-2004, 05:39 AM
from Charlie Bricker's weekly column in the S. Florida paper
------
If Mike Bryan decides to have hip surgery after the second-day doubles, and if the U.S. team reaches the final against either Spain or France, it is unlikely he'll be ready to pair again with his twin brother until 2005. He may be recovered from this laser operation on his hip labrum, but he'll be rusty. It could mean Roddick playing doubles with Bob Bryan. ... (Say WHAT now????????? Mardy would be better playing dubs with Bob, he's a way better returner and a way better dubs player, even on clay. I assume Bricker is just speculating... I HOPE! :o)

Spain, playing on its home clay, is heavily favored to defeat France, and that would mean it would be at home, in Madrid, against the United States. The Americans would not be favored in any of the singles matches, but a healthy and fit Bryan brothers team is good enough to win the doubles point against any Spanish pair. ...

superpinkone37
09-12-2004, 06:38 AM
yeah as much as i would like to see andy play some more, i hope to dear god that they dont put him in doubles just cuz he is the top singles player. mardy would do better, like you said. too bad james hasnt had a good year, cuz werent mardy and james actually doing pretty well in doubles? but that really sucks for mike. i hope his problem isnt that serious...

Deboogle!.
09-12-2004, 06:40 AM
Mardy and James are a great doubles team... whether they could beat Nadal and Robredo in Spain on clay is another matter. Hell I don't even think the Bryans would be a total lock in that case, even if Mike were healthy. I even read somewhere that Mike was considering waiting to have the surgery til after the DC Final. My god, that is dedication.

superpinkone37
09-12-2004, 06:42 AM
Mardy and James are a great doubles team... whether they could beat Nadal and Robredo in Spain on clay is another matter. Hell I don't even think the Bryans would be a total lock in that case, even if Mike were healthy. I even read somewhere that Mike was considering waiting to have the surgery til after the DC Final. My god, that is dedication.

wow that is some major dedication...its shows how much he really cares about DC, like we didnt know that already though :) but yeah, nadal and robredo on clay would be very tough. we all know none of our boys can play on clay...at least not now, and not anytime soon. im still hoping for a miracle from france......lol, cuz then we would have the home court right?

Deboogle!.
09-12-2004, 06:45 AM
Yea no kidding. I mean if Mike were to have surgery right after this DC tie, they'd have to miss the TMS tournies and TMC at the end of the year, he might be out part of 2005 as well but if he were to wait til December, they'd be out most of 2005...big big difference of several months. For one match. Damn. And I think it would probably make a difference if France were to pull off the miraculous upset. I think Mike could rest a little more easily with Andy and Mardy playing doubles against France at home than he would against Spain in Spain on clay :lol:

RoddickBabe10
09-12-2004, 06:47 AM
Oh God, this is really confusing to me :confused: I haven't been a tennis fan for a long time and I don't know how the DC works. I thought the US will be playing on hc? Why are they playing on clay?

superpinkone37
09-12-2004, 06:52 AM
i totally agree with you deb, on everything you said i think...just was too lazy to quote you lol. and roddickbabe, DC at the end of this month is played in south carolina on a hardcourt, we are already looking ahead to the final, and assuming spain will win, the final would then be played on clay in spain. hope that helps :)

RoddickBabe10
09-12-2004, 06:56 AM
Oh! lol superpink, so that US v Belarus match will be played on a hc? And Belarus is in Spain, assuming they will win, the final will be played on clay against France? Pardon my ignorance...

superpinkone37
09-12-2004, 07:02 AM
Oh! lol superpink, so that US v Belarus match will be played on a hc? And Belarus is in Spain, assuming they will win, the final will be played on clay against France? Pardon my ignorance...

um i dont get what you mean "And Belarus is in Spain, assuming they will win, the final will be played on clay against France?". USA will play belarus on hc, while spain plays france (i dunno where or on what surface though). we are assuming that the USA will beat belarus, and spain will beat france so in the final the US would play spain and they have the home court advantage. i think you already understood most of that already but im just making sure.

RoddickBabe10
09-12-2004, 07:08 AM
um i dont get what you mean "And Belarus is in Spain, assuming they will win, the final will be played on clay against France?". USA will play belarus on hc, while spain plays france (i dunno where or on what surface though). we are assuming that the USA will beat belarus, and spain will beat france so in the final the US would play spain and they have the home court advantage. i think you already understood most of that already but im just making sure.

Actually, I didn't get it at first. This will sound really stupid but I thought Belarus was a city in Spain or something (Why I thought that, I don't know). Okay, so now I fully understand. The last four are Spain, Belarus, the US, and France. Assuming Spain and the US will win, they will play on clay because Spain has homecourt advantage... so how do the countries/teams get homecourt advantage anyway? I'm sorry if I am sounding very ignorant right now.

superpinkone37
09-12-2004, 07:11 AM
no thats alright, i dont mind explaining, though actually im not sure how you get home court advantage. im assuming its based on how well you did a previous year or something. but we know that should we play spain in the final they would have the home court.

RoddickBabe10
09-12-2004, 07:18 AM
no thats alright, i dont mind explaining, though actually im not sure how you get home court advantage. im assuming its based on how well you did a previous year or something. but we know that should we play spain in the final they would have the home court.

:worship: :worship: Thank you.

But IF France pulls out a win, who'll get home court advantage? And do the players get points for it?

superpinkone37
09-12-2004, 08:11 AM
if france wins then we get the home court advantage, so thats why we, or at least me lol, are hoping for a miracle from france.

Iheartandy&roger
09-12-2004, 08:16 AM
Can't wait till Davis cup starts! I'm going crazy with no Andy at the us open now...

Deboogle!.
09-12-2004, 04:38 PM
the homecourt advantage for first-time meetings (like US and Belarus) is done by draw. Then they alternate, so the next time US plays Belarus, whether that's next year or in 15 years, it would be in Belarus. We played France in 2002 in Paris, so if we play France again, whenever that is, it will be here. We played Spain here also in 2002, so that's why we have to play Spain in Spain if they win.

ataptc
09-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Yea no kidding. I mean if Mike were to have surgery right after this DC tie, they'd have to miss the TMS tournies and TMC at the end of the year, he might be out part of 2005 as well but if he were to wait til December, they'd be out most of 2005...big big difference of several months. For one match. Damn. And I think it would probably make a difference if France were to pull off the miraculous upset. I think Mike could rest a little more easily with Andy and Mardy playing doubles against France at home than he would against Spain in Spain on clay :lol:

oh my..poor mike that really is a dilemma :sad:

Jennay
09-12-2004, 05:26 PM
OMFG Andy and Bob playing doubles on clay :o :o :o Please don't let it happen..

superpinkone37
09-12-2004, 05:43 PM
the homecourt advantage for first-time meetings (like US and Belarus) is done by draw. Then they alternate, so the next time US plays Belarus, whether that's next year or in 15 years, it would be in Belarus. We played France in 2002 in Paris, so if we play France again, whenever that is, it will be here. We played Spain here also in 2002, so that's why we have to play Spain in Spain if they win.

ahhh okay, thanks for the clarifications :).

superpinkone37
09-12-2004, 05:43 PM

and omg yeah, andy and bob playing doubles together on clay is just a big no-no

RoddickBabe10
09-12-2004, 06:05 PM

I see. Thank you, ma'am. :)

if france wins then we get the home court advantage, so thats why we, or at least me lol, are hoping for a miracle from france.

Well, I will join you on that hope lol.

RoddickBabe10
09-12-2004, 06:06 PM

I thought Mike will still be playing doubles with Bob inspite of his injury... :confused:

Deboogle!.
09-12-2004, 06:31 PM
they're still playing together for this tie coming up against Belarus but if we beat Belarus, then we'd play Spain, most likely, early December. Mike might have his surgery right after the DC tie in 2 weeks, though, and he wouldn't be fit enough to come back by early December... that would leave the US on clay in Spain without a doubles team :scared:

snaillyyy
09-12-2004, 07:19 PM
... that would leave the US on clay in Spain without a doubles team :scared:

:tears: :eek: OMG perish the thought, but at the same time I just want Mike to be healthy again :sad:

andyroxmysox12191
09-12-2004, 09:36 PM
andy...and bob......play doubles.....on CLAY!??!?!?!?!?! i'm laughing yet terrified of the idea!
poor mike :sad: :bigcry: i hope he gets better :sad:

tangerine_dream
09-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Even if they beat Belarus, I have resigned myself to the fact that the US will not win Davis Cup this year. We'd have to beat Spain, on their hometurf, on clay. Yeah. Right. Let me whip out my genie bottle, I think I can rub out another miracle here.....

star
09-13-2004, 07:43 PM
I suppose it's possible. :)

Deboogle!.
09-13-2004, 11:39 PM
:scratch: *thinks* no, star... it really isn't :lol:

Fumus
09-13-2004, 11:51 PM
US can beat Spain in the rain, it may be a pain. Andy may get a leg sprain, then our hopes are down the drain. I guess I can't complain, afterall clay is the bane(of Andy's exsistence, and perhaps it would be good for him, so I don't want to here anymore nagging and besides Pmac and Jmac can play doubles for the US and it won't matter we will still beat Belarus).

Deboogle!.
09-13-2004, 11:53 PM
:scared:

heya
09-13-2004, 11:55 PM
You have 1 clay court in the US. Andy rarely trains there.

Even Andy/Vahaly beat the Bryans in doubles. It's not even positive that Andy/Fish could beat the Beast.
Why make PMac excited over nothing? OMG

Fumus
09-13-2004, 11:58 PM
good call Heya...we should just get cousin vinny and robby "mr.personality" ginepri to play doubles.

Jennay
09-14-2004, 12:37 AM
US can beat Spain in the rain, it may be a pain. Andy may get a leg sprain, then our hopes are down the drain. I guess I can't complain, afterall clay is the bane(of Andy's exsistence, and perhaps it would be good for him, so I don't want to here anymore nagging and besides Pmac and Jmac can play doubles for the US and it won't matter we will still beat Belarus).
We don't need another Cousin Vinny.. :scared:

Fumus
09-14-2004, 12:53 AM
ouch...I guess my work isn't critically acclaimed.

Deboogle!.
09-14-2004, 02:08 AM
guys don't forget that Fumigator likes Vinny :scared:

andyroxmysox12191
09-14-2004, 03:02 AM
:sobbing: :scared:

superpinkone37
09-14-2004, 06:17 AM
good call Heya...we should just get cousin vinny and robby "mr.personality" ginepri to play doubles.

hehehe im sure that would go over great....;)

Deboogle!.
09-14-2004, 03:45 PM
so France nominated Clement and Mathieu for the DC tie against Spain.... what's wrong with Seb??????????

Anyway, Clement just lost in Romania to N. Djokovic (Yea.....WHO???????) so methinks he ain't gonna beat Juan Carlos or Carlos in Spain.

Neely
09-14-2004, 04:19 PM
so France nominated Clement and Mathieu for the DC tie against Spain.... what's wrong with Seb?????????
for him, they officially stated a foot injury as the reason why he is out of Davis Cup... but not sure how much you can give for that as his form wasn't the best in the last tournaments...

Havok
09-14-2004, 06:38 PM
I would pick PHM over Seb atm as well, regardless of injuries. Grosjena hasn't been on form lately, while PHM seems to have regained a second, or maybe it's his fifth:p, wind.

Deboogle!.
09-15-2004, 05:25 AM
so Max just lost the first round of Delray 6-4 6-7 6-7 to Hugo Armando...

ataptc
09-15-2004, 05:36 PM
so Max just lost the first round of Delray 6-4 6-7 6-7 to Hugo Armando...

that's good news.. but not so sure of the finals though...

Fumus
09-15-2004, 06:30 PM
I like Seb but, lets be honest....there are other players from France right now that are playing better.

Deboogle!.
09-15-2004, 11:50 PM
yea but is Clement one of them? he just lost first round on clay to someone I've never ever heard of.

heya
09-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Mardy and Andy shouldn't say "he's tired" before completing a match.
It might make
the U.S. team look somewhat smart.
:secret: Desperate PMc's reputation might shoot thru the roof (if there is 1 in the U.S.).

Fumus
09-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Seb sucks this year....I don't know why...he just does. lol

Deboogle!.
09-18-2004, 09:00 PM
BELA-RODDICK
by: Staff

9/18/2004 --

In preparation for the semifinal Davis Cup match against Belarus, the U.S. Team has gathered this week at Andy’s residence in Austin, Texas for practice and some old fashioned team bonding. There are reports of shocked shoppers at a neighborhood supermarket as the Davis Cup Team was spotted shopping for energy bars and nutritional sports drinks. There were no confirmations of purchases of junk food items or chocolate bars. :lol:

The United States Davis Cup Squad captain, Patrick McEnroe, will lead his team against Belarus in a semifinal match as the U.S. battles for its 32nd Davis Cup title. The squad includes 2003 US Open Champion Andy Roddick, Olympic silver medallist Mardy Fish, and the number 2 doubles team in the world Bob and Mike Bryan.

The team is very optimistic and happy to have the home court advantage. The best-of-five set match is being hosted at the Family Circle Tennis Center in Charleston, South Carolina September 24-26. Tickets are limited and can be purchased by calling (888) 484-8782.

andyroxmysox12191
09-18-2004, 09:28 PM
:rolls:

superpinkone37
09-18-2004, 10:49 PM
lol....they better not be ordering in pizza and beer :lol:

Jennay
09-18-2004, 11:25 PM
:rolls: Its great to see them "bonding" before the tie ;)

RoddickBabe10
09-19-2004, 12:37 AM
Awe, that's cute how they're "bonding" and at Andy's house too! :bounce:

Best of luck to Andy, of course, Bob and Mike, and Mardy!!!!! :bounce: Make us proud! :kiss:

superpinkone37
09-19-2004, 12:41 AM
yeah and i hope they have a great time together during this upcoming DC (wow, only a week away yay) cuz sorry, and as much as i hope they do well, i think our american guys are gonna embarrass themselves against spain on clay

RoddickBabe10
09-19-2004, 12:46 AM
:lol: superpink! I'm a little sad that everyone is already assuming that we would lose in the finals :sad: But, hey, it probably is true lol Regardless of what happens, though, they just better put up an awesome fight against these Spaniards (who, btw, are my faves as well ;) ). Who knows, there can be miracles when you believe lol

Jennay
09-19-2004, 12:58 AM
Well I'm just praying France will pull through so we can have the homecourt advantage ;)

Of course, Ferrero isn't 100% and Moya is a choker, so then I think we have a CHANCE ;) But then I realize its on clay against Spaniards :lol:

RoddickBabe10
09-19-2004, 12:59 AM
:lol: :lol:
Hey, who knows?! France could pull through... maybe :scratch: lol
We should have a huge prayer meeting on this matter, maybe it would work lol

superpinkone37
09-19-2004, 01:20 AM
Well I'm just praying France will pull through so we can have the homecourt advantage ;)

Of course, Ferrero isn't 100% and Moya is a choker, so then I think we have a CHANCE ;) But then I realize its on clay against Spaniards :lol:

well, yeah...i mean im hoping for a miracle from france, lol. and we would be fine against spain on any surface but on clay

andyroxmysox12191
09-19-2004, 01:42 AM
everyone has a chance at winning....though i think france's chance is a little small lol. we can always hope though :)

martirogi
09-19-2004, 05:20 AM
No need to worry we have Mardy Fish. He's really good at winning big matches and then not choking the match after :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
09-19-2004, 05:30 AM
No need to worry we have Mardy Fish. He's really good at winning big matches and then not choking the match after :rolleyes:

:haha: :smash: Mardy you :retard:

RoddickBabe10
09-19-2004, 07:12 AM
:worship: :worship: :haha: :haha:

Dirk
09-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Spadea gets no respect. :rolleyes: He really should be on the DC team. Oh well I hope he can pick up his 2nd title tomorrow and make Pat Mac look like a fool, which isn't too difficult.

Black Adam
09-19-2004, 11:28 AM
even if the final is in spain andy can at least win his two matches since he hasn't lost to robredo or moya on any surface even on clay.............then it might be up to the bryans to win in doubles.

Deboogle!.
09-19-2004, 04:30 PM
he can beat Robredo on clay.... he can't beat Moya on clay. He can't beat Ferrero on clay. Let's be realistic lol
========

McEnroe putting heat on Belarus

U.S. captain hopes hot weather, court surface will give his team an edge

By PATRICK OBLEY

Staff Writer

Patrick McEnroe selected Charleston as the host site of the Davis Cup semifinals with all the deliberateness of a mad scientist.

The U.S. Davis Cup captain wanted the visiting Belarussian contingent to sweat. He wanted them to play on as hard a surface as possible in order to expose them to Andy Roddick’s extreme serves.

And he wanted to have his team play in front of the rowdiest crowd possible.

This week, McEnroe finds out if his gambit will pay off. Belarus, the world’s Cinderella team, and the United States will meet 1 p.m. Friday for the first two matches of a best-of-five series. The winner will advance to the final against either France or Spain later this year.

“Part of the reason we went to Charleston is the conditions, I believe, will be favorable for us,” McEnroe said. “With the relatively slow hard court, outdoors, same balls as we are using (at the U.S. Open), hot conditions, pretty humid ... I think we’ve done what we can do to give ourselves the advantage.”

The court’s surface is the most important factor in this week’s match (known as a “tie” in Davis Cup terms). Officials at the Family Circle Tennis Center replaced the stadium’s clay court with a soft hard-court surface called DecoTurf II. McEnroe chose that surface to bring out the best assets of Roddick’s game and to make the Belarussians as uncomfortable as possible.

“Roddick can play on any hard court, so I feel like it will be tough for (the Belarussians),” McEnroe said. “They’re essentially a two-man team. To play in those conditions, we wanted to make them work. We’ve got two great singles players and we’ve got a great doubles team, so we can gear ourselves up. If they’re going to beat us, they’re going to have to work awfully hard to do it.”

Roddick, the world’s No. 2-ranked singles player, will be joined by Olympic silver medalist Mardy Fish in singles competition. The world’s second-ranked doubles team of Mike and Bob Bryan round out the American team.

Fish was the last addition to the team. McEnroe selected Fish over Vince Spadea and Taylor Dent based primarily on the time he spent with Fish at the Olympics last month.

“I believe in Mardy. I think Mardy still has a tremendous upside,” McEnroe said. “I feel like he still has just scratched the surface of what he’s capable of doing. He’s got a lot of game.”

And it doesn’t hurt that one of the players Fish defeated on the way to the Olympic silver medal was Belarussian Max Mirnyi.

What the Belarussian team lacks in brand names, it makes up for with savvy. Mirnyi and Vladimir Voltchkov are 10-year veterans of the Davis Cup circuit. They spearheaded the team’s upset victories against Russia and Argentina to reach the semifinals. Both rank among the world’s top 10 in service speed (Roddick is No. 1).

Eighteen-year-old Alexander Skrypko and 15-year-old Andrei Karatchenia round out the Belarussian team, but it would not be a surprise to see Mirnyi and Voltchkov play all five singles and doubles matches (known as “rubbers” in Davis Cup terms).

“We respect what they bring to the table,” McEnroe said. “Voltchkov is a flashy guy, a shot maker. He’s capable of playing one great match.

“Mirnyi is obviously as competitive as they come, a tough serve-volley player,” McEnroe said. “He just played (Roddick) 7-6 in the third set a couple of weeks ago in Cincinnati.”

The Bryan brothers also are familiar with Mirnyi and Voltchkov. The foursome duked it out during the Olympic doubles competition, with the Bryans prevailing 6-3, 6-3.

“That made me feel pretty good,” McEnroe said. “That means nothing when we get to Charleston. They (the Bryans) have a good record in the Davis Cup. They thrive in the atmosphere.”

Ah, yes, the atmosphere. In the past, American tennis fans often have struggled to rise (or sink) to the standards of international Davis Cup fans. In most countries, there often are dirty-tricks squads — fanatics who say or do anything they can to disrupt the home team’s opponents.

Hilton Head resident Stan Smith, a Davis Cup veteran, tells horror stories of fan transgressions, ranging from the old mirror-reflection-in-the-face gag to stealing equipment or running on the court.

Smith said earlier this year that he was banking on an Atlanta-based group of fans to turn out in droves this week, based on the close proximity of Charleston. The group doesn’t stoop to dirty tricks. Rather, it incites the crowd to get as noisy as possible, something that is in violation of tennis etiquette anywhere outside the Davis Cup.

So, as time draws short, the forecast is calling for partly cloudy skies, high humidity and temperatures in the 80s. The court is firm and ticket sales are brisk. Everything is coming together.

Somewhere, Patrick McEnroe is cackling.

superpinkone37
09-19-2004, 05:14 PM
thanks for the article Deb! :kiss:

snaillyyy
09-19-2004, 05:20 PM
:cool: Thanks Deb, now I just have to hope that they are pumped up and getting ready to go!

Deboogle!.
09-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Aw nice avatar Carole!!

I'm sure they're pumped......they BETTAH BE!!!!!!!!!! ;)

heya
09-19-2004, 09:54 PM
McEnroe said. “He just played (Roddick) 7-6 in the third set a couple of weeks ago in Cincinnati.”
Why is he a coach and captain? Is he this stupid? 6-3 in the 3rd, arrogant imbecile.

tangerine_dream
09-19-2004, 11:38 PM
USA vs, Belarus - Davis Cup Preview

by:*Lucy Flory

9/19/2004*--*

This weekend, in the historic setting of Charleston, South Carolina, the USA Davis Cup Team will bid to reach their first Davis Cup final in nine years. The USA has struggled in recent years, but the young team they have now is stepping forward to challenge that. Standing in their way are the beasts from Belarus, who are just beginning to make a name for their country in tennis.

The scene for this semifinal match is Charleston, South Carolina on September 24 – 26. Charleston itself is a good site for any eager historians! Charles Town was founded in 1670, and named after King Charles II of England. It adopted its present day name of Charleston in 1783. If the US or Belarus team, wish to divulge in a spot of sightseeing, they may like to head over to Fort Sumter where the first shots of the American Civil war in 1861, were sounded. They will need to be in touch with their competitive, fighting spirit for what should indeed be a fiercely fought weekend of tennis!

The Family Circle Tennis Centre, home to a WTA tour event, has laid down a hard court which should be an advantage for the quick styles of the Americans. This young team will be pulling out all the stops for their country. The teams are as thus:

USA

* Andy Roddick – Andy, the number one player in the USA and number two on the ATP Tour, has had a good summer with championships at Queens and Indianapolis, finalist showings at Wimbledon and Toronto, and a semi-final at Cincinnati. Andy also reached the quarter finals at the 2004 US Open. Davis Cup is a favourite of Andy’s as he holds an impressive 12 win - 3 loss career record when representing the USA. En route to the semi final this year, Roddick has not dropped a set in his Davis Cup clashes.

* Mardy Fish - Mardy also had a good summer, his most impressive tournament being at the Olympics where he won a silver medal for the USA. During his run to the final there, Mardy beat some tough opponents, including the number one Belarus player, Max Mirnyi.

* Bob and Mike Bryan - Yet to lose a match for their country in Davis Cup, the twins haven’t even dropped a set in all their previous Davis Cup matches! They’ve had wins at Queens and Los Angeles, and a quarter-final showing at the Olympics.

BELARUS

* Max Mirnyi - Despite a poor performance in singles this summer, Mirnyi has had some success in doubles with a finalist showing at Toronto with Jonas Bjorkman. In Cincinnati, he made the semifinals with Sargis Sargisian. However, Mirnyi has an excellent Davis Cup record with 37 wins and 15 losses. Mirnyi often represents Belarus in both singles and doubles in Davis Cup.

* Vladimir Voltchkov - Voltchkov has had a disappointing year, however this makes him no less of a threat in Davis Cup. Like Mirnyi, Voltchkov has a well established Davis Cup record with 34 wins to 17 losses throughout his career.

* Alexander Skrypko - At the tender age of just 18, Skrypko is making his seventh appearance in Davis Cup.

* Andrei Karatchenia - Belarus’ youngest player, at just 15. He will undoubtedly learn a lot from this experience!

In conclusion, the last time the USA won the Davis Cup was in 1995, against Russia. Led by Andy, all of the players on the current Davis Cup team share a great desire and spirit. “You know,” said Andy, “the atmosphere is even better when I"m playing for my friends and for my country as well...It"s a lot deeper than just a regular tournament.”

Deboogle!.
09-19-2004, 11:50 PM
I love it when AR.com tries to be objective :haha:

Neely
09-20-2004, 12:24 AM
and my personal bottom line for the USA vs Belarus Davis Cup tie is that Mirnyi and Voltchkov lose quite a lot of their strenght if they are not playing at home and that USA are clear favorite.

Deboogle!.
09-20-2004, 12:36 AM
And you have the US team - even if Mardy didn't show up. Andy's never lost a DC match played on non-red surfaces and the Bryans have never dropped a set.

Belarus doesn't actually concern me nearly as much as Sweden did...

But then again, I would rather the US lose in the SF than have to trek to Spain in december to end the year on a horribly disappointing note. I feel it's the last thing Andy especially, but team USA in general, needs.

Sjengster
09-20-2004, 01:26 AM
Interesting choices... I'm surprised they didn't go the whole way and keep the clay courts they have at Charleston, though. Roddick's proven himself at American clay events, and even the weakest American behind him on clay such as Fish or Dent could probably thrash Voltchkov on the surface if it came down to the final rubber. A slow hardcourt will obviously hinder the Belarussians' attacking games, but they won't mind fast US Open balls and Mirnyi isn't fazed by humid conditions, being one of the fittest players on tour with the amount of singles and doubles he plays every year. I wonder if they'll be able to adapt to a surface that's far slower than their tailor-made indoor carpet in Belarus, even if it is still a hardcourt.

The final against Spain, well, assuming the Bryan brothers were both fit enough to play I could see them crunching Nabredo even if the latter do have home and surface advantage; the second American singles player would obviously be dead meat and good for two Spanish points, but I think the one interesting match would be Roddick against the second Spanish player. There's no guarantee that it will be Ferrero if his form and fitness don't improve, and if it's someone else then it could be an interesting yardstick for Roddick to measure himself on clay and see whether he can beat one of the less prestigious Spaniards on the surface.

heya
09-20-2004, 05:06 AM
On 1 hand, PMac thinks Andy needs to get a complete game.
On the another hand, he demands Andy's time for Davis Cup as if
no one else should be blamed for a team loss.
It's not his fault that his team mates don't play well.
Andy is not a slave. If Fish, Blake or Spadea can't win 2 matches, they don't deserve to win DC. Bryans can't win? Tough luck. Too bad for PMac.

It would take a miracle for the U.S. to win DC.
Maybe it's too difficult for PMac to grasp.

Deboogle!.
09-20-2004, 04:28 PM
poor mardy

tennis-x's who's in the trunk

1. Mardy "Silver" Fish
Has struggled mightily since his bad approach to the gold medal match in Athens, now on center stage in D-Cup semis needing to find his game.

tangerine_dream
09-20-2004, 04:43 PM
poor mardy

tennis-x's who's in the trunk

1. Mardy "Silver" Fish
Has struggled mightily since his bad approach to the gold medal match in Athens, now on center stage in D-Cup semis needing to find his game.

LOL. He also needs to shut up about trashing lower-ranked players when he chokes and can't finish off half-dead opponents. :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
09-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Yes, that too :lol:

Well the boys are in Charleston
----------

FLASH: US Davis Cup Team on the Move
by: Staff

9/20/2004 --

Local radar scans and inside information confirmed the arrival of a private jet carrying the US Davis Cup Team in Charleston, South Carolina. As previously reported, the team of Andy, Mardy Fish, and Bob and Mike Bryan, gathered at Andy’s home in Austin, Texas to tune up for the semi-final Davis Cup match against Belarus.

On location with the Team were practice partners Scoville Jenkins and Scot Odsema, Captain Patrick McEnroe, the Bryan’s coach Philip Farmer and Andy’s personal trainer Doug Spreen.

Intense, two-a-day practices in 100+ degree heat for three days has prepared the team for any game plan Belarus may have. Andy said, “We were sweating so much, our tennis shoes left footprints on the court.”

Relaxation included evenings cruising on Andy’s boat. Now the team is in South Carolina and ready for action.

RoddickBabe10
09-21-2004, 03:57 AM
Nice post, bunk! :yeah:

You guys won't even believe how darn excited I am for DC! :bounce: :bounce: :yippee: :yippee: :yeah: :yeah: Only 4 more days! :woohoo: :woohoo:

superpinkone37
09-21-2004, 06:05 AM
yep...im very excited for DC as well :) dont let me down boys!!! :p

heya
09-21-2004, 07:32 AM
100+ degrees UGGHH

heya
09-21-2004, 08:38 AM
I love the French DC team more and more these days.
They make Dirk Diggler happy too.
Some people have to watch their fave tennis player fall soon.
It's a shame that they don't support any of their own countrymen.

snaillyyy
09-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Camaraderie puts U.S. players at ease

By Charles Bricker
Staff Writer
Posted September 21 2004

DANIEL ISLAND, S.C. · Things weren't going well on the practice court for Andy Roddick, who finally exploded during his Davis Cup training session and slammed his racket once, twice, three times against the green concrete.

An hour later, he was sitting in a news conference here in this suburb of Charleston, gagging it up with teammates Mike and Bob Bryan and Mardy Fish, who, sitting to Roddick's left, kept peeling back the Velcro catch on the back of Roddick's baseball cap.

"I'm so tired of Mardy Fish," Roddick said, laughing. And then he got up from the interview table and sat with reporters, where Fish couldn't fiddle with his cap any longer.

Notwithstanding Roddick's usual hard-edged practices, there isn't a hint of tension with Captain Patrick McEnroe's U.S. Davis Cup team, which arrived Monday to prepare for the Friday-to-Sunday semifinal tie against Belarus.

The players had spent the weekend at Roddick's lakeside home in Austin, Texas, where they put in some long hours on the practice courts before boarding Roddick's jet skis or diving off the 25-foot high ledge above a cove at the lake.

"Andy likes to do a flip when he jumps from up there, but I told him I'd prefer that he just jump straight in, feet first," McEnroe said. "As he flipped, he was looking straight at me, grinning. It's a circus," McEnroe said, pleased with the camaraderie of his squad. "A traveling circus."

Roddick will play Belarus No. 2 Vladimir Voltchkov and Fish gets No. 1 Max Mirnyi on Friday. The Bryan twins play Mirnyi/Voltchkov in the Saturday doubles and there was good news about Mike Bryan's damaged hip.

"It feels better than it has in a long time," Bryan said. "I'm going to be good for this one match." After that, he has a decision to make about surgery.

Bryan isn't the only player with injury baggage. Voltchkov, who hasn't played since the Olympic Games, where he lost in the first round, has a left wrist sprain. He's right-handed but has a two-handed backhand.

The U.S. players will resume practices Wednesday.

Deboogle!.
09-21-2004, 03:36 PM
LOL Amanda! Can't you just picture that happening in your head... I can and it has me :haha:
==========

Team player: Davis Cup wait long for Mirnyi

Belarus team eager to pick up where they left off in April

BY JAMES BECK
Of The Post and Courier Staff
It's been more than five months now since Belarus blew past favored Argentina in a whitewash to qualify for what ultimately would be a trip to Charleston to take on the Americans in a Davis Cup semifinal.

The time seemed like an eternity to Max Mirnyi as he lost in the first round at the French Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, and in the third round of the Olympics to the U.S. Davis Cup player he'll play Friday, Mardy Fish. Mirnyi also lost in the first round of a tournament last week in Delray Beach, Fla.

So, yes, Mirnyi was glad to get to Family Circle Tennis Center and actually work out with his Davis Cup teammates Monday.

"I have been looking forward to this ever since we qualified for this match," the 6-5 Belarussian said in perfect English. That was back in April when Belarus defeated Argentina's clay courters on fast indoor carpet in Minsk, Belarus.

"So, there was much time to look forward to it. It's finally here and we're all excited."

Monday was the first news conference for Mirnyi and his teammates in preparation for the showdown that starts Friday at Family Circle Magazine Stadium against Andy Roddick and the Americans. Mirnyi will take on Fish in one of the two singles matches scheduled for Friday's 1 p.m. session.

Vladimir Voltchkov, the other half of the Belarus team that has shocked the 100-year-old Davis Cup world by making the semifinals in its first year in the World Group, also has had an off year while being handicapped by injuries.

"I am ready for this match," said Voltchkov, a Wimbledon singles semifinalist in 2000. "I've always played my best on court, but Davis Cup is something special."

Voltchkov will face Roddick on opening day.

While the Americans as well as Mirnyi arrived here from hot, humid climates (the U.S. team from Roddick's place in Austin, Texas, late Sunday night, and Mirnyi from Florida), Mirnyi probably was more pleased with the cool, breezy weather that greeted them.

"Very good weather, cooler and not as humid coming here from Florida," said Mirnyi, who like Voltchkov is expected to play all three days in the Davis Cup while the Americans hope to gain a physical advantage by coming in with different players, Mike and Bob Bryan, for Saturday's doubles match.

"I think it will get a little warmer by the weekend," U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe said. "But it's perfect today. It was real hot in Austin, and we got in some good practice there."

FISH LIKES COURT

The slow hard court that McEnroe ordered to replace the clay surface in the stadium and practice courts is expected to give the Americans an advantage over a Belarus team that prefers fast courts.

"You can definitely still serve and volley on this court," said Fish, the Olympic silver medalist. "You can get the ball moving through the court...

"But I definitely think the court is slower than Mirnyi likes. We felt like we could beat them on every surface but this maximizes our chances."

RODDICK'S SMASH

Roddick, who holds the record for the fastest serve in tennis, gave the small group of fans in the stadium a treat when he smashed and broke his racket on the court during practice.

"It's the first racket I've ever smashed in my life," Roddick said. "I'm pretty sure it will never happen again."

"Today," Fish added.

tangerine_dream
09-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Aha! Yet more proof that they are http://www.forums.hobonation.com/images/smilies/gay2.gif :aplot:

And I agree Andy: I'm tired of Mardy Fish, too. ;)

Fumus
09-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Aha! Yet more proof that they are http://www.forums.hobonation.com/images/smilies/gay2.gif :aplot:

lol...nice gay smilie..that's reputable.

J. Corwin
09-21-2004, 05:10 PM
Roddick's first smashed racket?....uhhh hmmm lol

tangerine_dream
09-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Thanks for those great articles, bunk. :yeah: I'm glad the DC team is having fun and and practicing well (for the most part).

I don't think we're going to cream Belarus just because we have home advantage. Mardy will likely melt in the face of such expectations and pressure (again). :o

Jennay
09-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the great articles :hug:

tangerine_dream
09-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Good! Keep pushing Mardy, Pmac. That whip needs to be cracked harder on him. http://forums.rpghost.com/images/BadSmiles/zzwhip.gif :devil:

McEnroe Fishing for Caution in South Carolina

After a training camp in Andy Roddick’s home town of Austin, Texas, Patrick McEnroe will take his four-man squad cross country to Charleston, South Carolina, confident that the United States has the beating of surprise semifinalists Belarus in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group semifinals.

All the statistics point that way, because Roddick has a winning record over the big Belarus No 1 Max Mirnyi (3-0), and Mardy Fish defeated Mirnyi when the pair met for the only time just a few weeks ago at the Olympic Games in Athens. Another Olympic result also went America’s way with Mike and Bob Bryan defeating Mirnyi and his partner Vladimir Voltchkov in the doubles.

But all this is history and no competition in world sport is more capable of making a mockery of form and the over-hyped crystal ball than the Davis Cup. The younger McEnroe, who has grown up close to sporting genius and has carved out his own success story with more mundane tools, does not need to be told that the psychological aspects of Davis Cup play can be just as important as a fine backhand or a big serve.

With that firmly in mind, McEnroe will do everything he can to foster the great comraderie that has developed between this young squad, while treating each person as an individual on the practice court. Roddick, who has honed himself into a mean fighting machine that requires little motivation to flip into top gear, will be allowed to practise just as much or as little as he wants.

But Fish will find himself on the end of his captain’s line.

“Sometimes Mardy’s attitude can be disappointing,” McEnroe told me in between one of his commentating stints at Flushing Meadows. “Obviously he did great in winning a silver medal in Athens and he was rightly thrilled about that.

"But I don’t think he did himself any favours with his attitude during the last two sets he lost against Michal Tabara here. He had 9,000 people dying to root for him but he made it tough for them. And tough for himself.”

Earlier in the day, McEnroe had followed the same theme at a press conference to formally announce his team (which includes the promising junior Scoville Jenkins as a practice partner).

“Mardy is a good kid but he needs to be pushed and I intend to keep on pushing him,” the captain said.

“That’s part of my job. Sometimes that can irritate him but that’s OK. If it takes me to irritate him to keep pushing him, that’s what I’m going to do. I do it because I believe in him and I believe he can get more out of what he has.”

McEnroe’s frustration stems from the fact that he is such an admirer of Fish’s talent as well as liking him as a person. He is certain this tall, gifted player can reach the world’s top 10 if he can take a more positive attitude on court with him both in practice and competition.

Voltchkov remains the unknown quantity in this tie that will be played on a slow hardcourt at the Family Circle Tennis Center. The 26-year-old finished last year at 127 on the ATP Entry ranking but he was as high as 46th in 2000, the year he popped out of nowhere to reach the Wimbledon semifinal. Voltchkov has been suffering from a wrist injury recently and that, along with Mike Bryan’s hip problem, throws an unknown fitness element into the duel.

No matter what the outcome, Mirnyi will feel he has nothing to lose. Reaching the semi-final of this 104-year-old competition for such a young nation as Belarus is a dream for his countrymen, and yet Max will also feel right at home. Most of his formative years as a tennis player have been spent at Bradenton in Florida or New Jersey, where he worked briefly in Randolph with a Russian coach, and he will have a lot of support in Charleston.

In fact, given his popularity, it would not be too surprising to hear some spectators shouting support for Mirnyi in an American accent. But Patrick McEnroe won’t worry about that. The US captain has a place in the final firmly in his sights.

andyroxmysox12191
09-21-2004, 10:27 PM
:kiss: thanks carole and deb!

andyroxmysox12191
09-21-2004, 10:29 PM
and now tangy :kiss:

Jennay
09-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Nice to see Patrick pushing Mardy the way he needs desperately to be pushed :yeah:

J. Corwin
09-21-2004, 10:48 PM

snaillyyy
09-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Here is a couple from press conference today, have seen better quality :rolleyes: but at least it is pics ;)

Golfnduck
09-22-2004, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the pics!!! Can't wait for this weekend!!! KICK SOME ASS TEAM USA!!!

Deboogle!.
09-22-2004, 01:26 AM
Well it's nice to see Andy smiling anyway :) More articles

=------
U.S. faces Belarus in semis this weekend
By Greg Garber
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- Andy Roddick, Mardy Fish and the Bryan Brothers, Bob and Mike, will again represent their country in Charleston, S.C., as the United States plays host to Belarus in the semifinals.

"Big shocker for you all," dead-panned U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe when he made the announcement at the U.S. Open. The inclusion of Roddick, the No. 2-ranked player in the world was a given. After that, the pickings were, well, slim and none.

Fish got the call over Taylor Dent and Vince Spadea based on his silver medal performance at the Olympics in Athens. But at the U.S. Open, Fish, Dent and Spadea all lost in the second round. Roddick, who reached the quarterfinals, had won more matches (four) than the other three combined (three).

"They all didn't play too well (at the Open)," McEnroe allowed. "But I got to spend quite a bit of time with all of them at the Olympics and was obviously very happy with what I saw from both Mardy and Taylor."

Fish, who is ranked No. 28 among ATP players -- Dent is No. 22 and Spadea is No. 24 -- ripped through the field in Athens, beating, among others, Max "The Beast" Mirnyi of Belarus. Mirnyi and the mysterious Vladimir Voltchkov are essentially a two-man team that upset Russia and Argentina in the first two rounds.

According to McEnroe, Fish has top-10 potential. Still, his results have been inconsistent. He reached the San Jose final earlier this year, losing to Roddick, and the Halle final, losing to Roger Federer. He also lost in the first round of the Australian Open and, more recently, the Cincinnati Tennis Master Series event.

And then at the Open, he lost to qualifier Michal Tabara in the second round.

"I think Mardy still has a tremendous upside," McEnroe insisted. "He's got a lot of game. We need to keep pushing him in what I think is the right direction, which is to get stronger, get tougher.

"Sometimes he gets a little bit negative on the court and, you know, his feet get a little flat. I think that all stems from his attitude."

McEnroe said that Fish could learn from his Davis Cup teammate.

"When Andy Roddick goes out in practices, he's intense all the time. Mardy is obviously a different type of personality. He likes to play a flowing type of style. I think when you practice things, you then do them in a match. To me, if Mardy just brings up his intensity just a little bit, I think when he gets nervous in a match, which we all do, you can go to that.

"My goal is not to piss them off, but my goal is to get them better."

Mike Bryan, half of the U.S. doubles team, has been nursing a hip injury but McEnroe said he was healthy enough to play against Belarus. The Bryans are still the No. 1-ranked ATP doubles team but they have struggled recently. They failed to defend their 2003 French Open title and lost opening-round matches in Toronto and Cincinnati. They only reached the quarterfinals in Athens and were eliminated in the third round of the U.S. Open.

"He may have to have surgery at some point down the road, which has, I think, been playing on his head a little bit," McEnroe said. "When you have something that's sort of nagging at you, I think that's been tough for him."

The United States, trying to make it tough on Belarus, chose the Family Circle Tennis Center in Charleston from Sept. 24-26. The courts are "slow" hardcourts, as opposed to the "fast" hardcourts the Belarus players prefer. The heat and humidity, based on their dismal performance in Athens, will also work in the Americans' favor.

A victory would place the Americans in the final, opposite the winner of Spain-France. If Spain wins, the Americans would go overseas, to presumably play on painfully slow clay. If France wins, the site would be in America.

The Americans started practicing in Charleston on Monday. They held a mini-camp over the weekend in Austin, Texas. Any questions about whose Davis Cup team this is? Austin is where Roddick lives.

"Our biggest thing is that our whole team is on the same page, as far as we all have the common goal of trying to win this together someday," Roddick said Monday. "I think it helps that we do get along and that we are friendly off the court makes these weeks a lot easier."

============================
===========================
=============================

Americans Ready For Belarus in Davis Cup
usta.com

After the first official practice on Monday, the United States and Belarus, set to square off in the 2004 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group Semifinals, are scheduled for two more practice sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Also scheduled for Wednesday is a special Davis Cup Fan Appreciation Night, which includes fun-filled tennis clinics with fans, taking place at Moultrie Park in historic downtown Charleston.

The U.S. vs. Belarus Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Semifinal Draw Ceremony is on tap for Thursday, aboard the S.S. Yorktown.

The draw ceremony will announce the team line-ups and determine the order of play for the weekend.

At 1 p.m. on Friday at the Family Circle Tennis Center, the first two singles matches will be played. Americans Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish are expected to represent the United States.

The doubles match featuring the Bryan Brothers, Bob and Mike, headlines Saturday.

And finally, on Sunday, a pair of reverse singles matches will be played to conclude the semifinal.

The winner of the semifinal tie between the United States and Belarus will play the winner of France and Spain in December.

If France should upset host Spain in Alicante, the Americans would host France in the final at a U.S. site to be determined.

But if the Spanish team of Juan Carlos Ferrero, Carlos Moya, Rafael Nadal and Tommy Robredo pull through with a victory, they would be the host nation against the United States.

The following are highlighted quotes from the U.S. and Belarus Davis Cup press conference on Monday, following the first day of official practice for the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Semifinal at the Family Circle Tennis Center in Charleston, S.C., Sept. 24-26, 2004:

U.S. Captain Patrick McEnroe

On his role in helping the United States win the Davis Cup for the first time since 1995:

"My goal is to get us back in the running to win the Davis Cup every year and have a real good shot at winning it every year. I think we are in that position now. We have a group of guys who are real passionate about winning this... The Davis Cup is an unbelievable event, and it is worth a lot, and by listening to these guys, it means a lot to them. It is turning around in the U.S., I think, because these guys are playing with pride for themselves and for their country."

Mardy Fish

On why he is so enthusiastic about Davis Cup:

"This is an event that I grew up personally watching on TV and thinking about playing. And to be a part of it with the whole team atmosphere is totally how I anticipated it being and total team camaraderie from everybody. When you play for your country, it is always different. You play for the USA and you play for your teammates. You get to sit on the sidelines and cheer the guys on."

Fish on the Olympics and the pressure that everyone felt during that competition:

"I think everyone going into the Olympics wants to win a medal. Realistically, I wanted to play well and win some matches, and then I just kind of got on a roll. You know, I had a relatively good draw to play some of the guys that I played. It all has to go well to do good in a tournament like that."

Andy Roddick

On why he and the U.S. team seem to have so much fun during Davis Cup week and the team bonding that goes on during Davis Cup week:

"I think it is a lot easier to go into a place you enjoy when you enjoy being around the people, and that goes for everybody here. You probably enjoy work if you go and enjoy the people you are around, and that is the same thing for us. I think it does make it easier. Our biggest thing is that our whole team is on the same page, as far as we all have the common goal of trying to win this together someday. I think it helps that we do get along, and that we are friendly off the court makes these weeks a lot easier, and it makes our decisions to compete as a team a lot easier, as well.

On putting a silver lining on the year by winning the Davis Cup:

"Coming into this year, I wanted to win a major, and I wanted to have a shot at being No. 1, and there are a lot of things that I wanted, but they are just not in the cards for me as far as this year goes, but one thing still alive this year is this title. This is kind of where I am at. This is definitely the most important thing left for me as for as tennis goes this year."

Mike Bryan

On how his hip is feeling:

"My hip feels better than it ever has... I was doing sprints and two a days in Austin with the guys. I haven't done that for a long time. I'm feeling great. This summer I didn't really get a chance to practice too much, but I feel I am going to be 100 percent by Saturday."

Max Mirnyi

On whether the pressure is on the Americans:

“The fact that they (U.S. Davis Cup Team) are playing at home, they are expected to win. There will be much more support for them, so that makes it much tougher for them to play. They must feel like they are under pressure.”

On playing the Bryan twins on Saturday:

“I look forward to playing against them. They are one of the better teams out there, and this is a great opportunity for us to face such a strong team under tough circumstances. We are going to do everything in our power to do well and win the match.”

Why he and Vladimir Voltchkov play so well together in doubles:

“The fact that we grew up together since the age of four and that we did play Davis Cup for the past 10 to 12 years together makes it much more special and unique, and every time we play we do well.”

On how long he has been looking forward to this match:

“I’ve been looking ahead to this tie ever since we qualified for this round…. It’s finally here, and we’re all excited.”

Vladimir Voltchkov

On why he plays much better in Davis Cup than on the Tour:

“I’ve always tried my best on the court, but it seems like when it’s the Davis Cup, it’s something special, and I feel really happy about it.”

=================================
==================================
=================================

ESPN2 Broadcast Schedule For U.S. vs. Belarus Davis Cup Semifinal
By Tennis Week
09/21/2004

ESPN tennis analyst Patrick McEnroe will call the shots from a different vantage point during this weekend's Davis Cup tie. The U.S. Davis Cup captain will occupy a sideline seat next to his players rather than the broadcast booth with Cliff Drysdale for ESPN2's three- day coverage of the Davis Cup semifinal between the host United States and Belarus at the Family Circle Tennis Center in Charleston, S.C.

ESPN2 will present live coverage of both opening day singles matches on Friday from 1:30 to 6 p.m. Eastern time. Saturday's doubles match featuring twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan against Belarus' Max Mirnyi and Vladimir Voltchkov will be televised on ESPN2 on tape-delay at 1:30 a.m. on Sunday morning.

ESPN2 will televise the fifth-and-decisive reverse singles match at 5 p.m. on Sunday. If the outcome of the tie is already determined prior to that match, the network plans to retain that time slot for Davis Cup coverage with "content to be determined."

Cliff Drysdale — who has been the face of ESPN tennis since the network's first telecast 25 years ago this month, a Davis Cup semifinal featuring the United States' John McEnroe defeating Guillermo Vilas and Argentina — will host the telecasts with analyst MaliVai Washington. If the United States beats Belarus and advances to the Davis Cup championship December 3rd-5th, the match would be either at Spain or vs. France at a U.S. site.

====================================
===================================
=====================================

Americans View Davis Cup As Priority
By Alberto Amalfi
09/21/2004

Many of the most prestigious individual honors in men's tennis — three of the four major title trophies and the year-end No. 1 rank — are now only accessible to players who have an invitation to Roger Federer's house. With the tennis landscape looking a lot like Federer's private property, the Davis Cup has become an even more coveted championship for semifinal participants.

Capturing the Cup has become the top priority for second-ranked Andy Roddick, who leads the United States' squad that hosts Belarus in the best-of-five match semifinal set for this weekend at the Family Circle Tennis Center in Charleston, S.C. on a hard court.

"Coming into this year I wanted to win a major and I wanted to have a shot at being number one and there a lot of things that I wanted but they are just not in the cards for me as far as this year goes," Roddick said. "But one thing still alive this year is this title, this is kind of where I am at, this is definitely the most important thing left for me as for as tennis goes this year."

Former U.S. Open champion Roddick has looked right at home on courts close to home as 12 of his 15 tournament titles have come on North American soil. This tie has some elements of a homecoming as Roddick reunites with former housemate Mardy Fish as the American singles starters, who will face Belarus' Max Mirnyi and Vladimir Voltchkov.

Mirnyi, nicknamed "The Beast" for his unrelenting serve-and-volley style that can be the tennis equivalent of a blind-side hit from a blitzing linebacker, is winless in three career matches with Roddick, though two of those three meetings have gone three sets, including a 6-7, 7-6, 6-3 win for Roddick in Cincinnati last month. Fish scored a 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 victory over Mirnyi in their lone encounter at the Athens Olympic Games.

Fish, who has struggled to play to his potential in majors, has produced some of his most inspired performances in international team play. The 22-year-old Fish has drawn strength from the support of his teammates.

"This is an event that I grew up personally watching on TV and thinking about playing. And to be a part of it with the whole team atmosphere is totally how I anticipated it being and total team camaraderie from everybody," Fish said. "When you play for your country it is always different you play for the USA and you play for your teammates. You get to sit on the sidelines and cheer the guys on."

The fact that the United States has won six straight home ties, is undefeated on American soil in captain Patrick McEnroe's tenure and counts one of the world's premier hard-court players in Roddick and one of the world's top doubles teams in twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan on its roster are all factors that make the Americans heavy favorites in this tie. But Mirnyi believes expectations can cause paralyzing pressure on players.

"The fact that they (U.S. Davis Cup Team) are playing at home, they are expected to win," Mirnyi said. "There will be much more support for them so that makes it much tougher for them to play. They must feel like they are under pressure."

Mike Bryan would probably prefer pressure to the pain that has plagued his hip periodically this season. Bryan said he feels pain-free now and expects to be completely healthy when the Bryan brothers attempt to extend their unbeaten Davis Cup streak against Mirnyi and Voltchkov in Saturday's doubles match.

"My hip feels better than it ever has...I was doing sprints and two a days in Austin with the guys, I haven't done that for a long time," Mike Bryan said. "I'm feeling great. This summer I didn't really get a chance to practice too much, but I feel I am going to be 100 percent by Saturday."

McEnroe's stated goal since succeeding older brother John as U.S. captain has been to build a team that will be a perennial power in Davis Cup play every year. If the current cast of American players continue their commitment to Davis Cup, the team may meet that goal.

"My goal is to get us back in the running to win the Davis Cup every year, and have a real good shot at winning it every year," McEnroe said. "I think we are in that position now. We have a group of guys who are real passionate about winning this....The Davis Cup is an unbelievable event and it is worth a lot and by listening to these guys it means a lot to them. It is turning around in the U.S. I think because these guys a playing with pride for themselves and for their country."

Golfnduck
09-22-2004, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the article!! I wonder if Andy's hair is still long.

Deboogle!.
09-22-2004, 01:36 AM
it's not sticking out from under his hat as much I don't think

*fingers crossed*

Deboogle!.
09-22-2004, 01:40 AM
Andy practicing today, I guess his hair is still pretty long :(
http://www.charleston.net/images/092104/11077_512.jpg

Deboogle!.
09-22-2004, 02:41 AM
U.S. Out to Restore Pride in Tie with Belarus

By Gene Cherry
CHARLESTON, South Carolina (Reuters) - Hot favorites the U.S. will seek to restore lost American pride when they take on Belarus in a Davis Cup semi-final starting on Friday.

Humiliated by Europe in Ryder Cup golf and stung by the absence of an American male in the U.S. Open tennis semi-finals for the first time since 1986, the United States hope to reverse their sullen September sporting start with victory.

World number two Andy Roddick, Olympic silver medallist Mardy Fish and the doubles twins Bob and Mike Bryan will lead the charge against a Belarus team that upended Russia and Argentina en route to the showdown.

"This is definitely the most important thing left for me as far as tennis goes this year," Roddick told reporters in Charleston.

"Coming into this year I wanted to win a major and I wanted to have a shot at being number one ... but they are just not on the cards for me as far as this year goes," said Roddick, who relinquished his 2003 U.S. Open title in the quarter-finals earlier this month.

"But one thing still alive this year is this title," the world number two added.

The tie, the first between the two countries, will be played on the hard courts of Charleston's Family Circle Tennis Center. The winner will face France or Spain in December for the Davis Cup title.

Spain host that semi-final this weekend in Alicante.

The U.S. last reached the Davis Cup final in 1997 and last won the cup two years earlier, in 1995. Belarus have never advanced this far in Davis Cup play.

PASSION TO WIN

"My goal is to get us back in the running to win the Davis Cup every year, and have a real good shot at winning it every year. I think we are in that position now," said U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe. "We have a group of guys who are real passionate about winning this."

The Americans swept past Austria and Sweden to make the semi-final.
In Davis Cup singles play both Mirnyi and Roddick are a perfect 4-0 this year, while Fish -- who beat Mirnyi in the Athens Olympic in August -- has a 1-1 record and second Belarus player Vladimir Voltchkov is 3-1.

Teenagers Andrei Karatchenia and Alexander Skrypko join Mirnyi and Voltchkov on the Belarus squad.

Although underdogs, the Belarussians say the pressure is on the Americans to perform.

"The fact that they are playing at home, they are expected to win," former twice U.S. Open doubles champion Mirnyi said.

"There will be much more support for them so that makes it much tougher for them to play. They must feel like they are under pressure."

Two singles matches will be played on Friday with a solo doubles match scheduled for Saturday. Two more singles matches will follow on Sunday if needed.

Roddick and Fish will handle the singles duties for the U.S. with the Bryan twins playing doubles. Mirnyi and Voltchkov could be the only players to see action for Belarus.

"The fact that we grew up together since the age of four and that we've played Davis Cup for the past 10 to 12 years together makes it much more special and unique, and every time we play we do well," Mirnyi said of his doubles play with Voltchkov.

snaillyyy
09-22-2004, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the articles and pics Deb :hug: :kiss:

andyroxmysox12191
09-22-2004, 03:18 AM
:kiss: thanks deb and carole@

superpinkone37
09-22-2004, 04:16 AM
you know the andy/mardy shippers are going to latch on to that like there's no tomorrow... (:

LMAO!! when i read that on ar.com ealier i thought exactly the same thing....hehe

superpinkone37
09-22-2004, 04:19 AM

omg that gay smile is perfect for that, lmao! hehe, now with all these new stories about the two of them im starting to wonder.....lol

oh, and thanks for all these articles guys...geez theyre all starting to come in. yay im so excited for DC to start again :)

Deboogle!.
09-22-2004, 03:44 PM
mooooooooooooore articles lol. the Charleston paper seems to have a pretty good tennis writer, yay :) I love the look on Bob's face in the pic :lol:
=====================
Have opponents finally caught up to Bryans?

DAVIS CUP NOTEBOOK

BY JAMES BECK
Mike and Bob Bryan started the year as the No. 1 doubles team in men's tennis. But 2004 hasn't been a grand -- as in Grand Slam -- year for the twins.

They have fallen off their pedestal all the way to seventh in the world as they prepare to take center stage Saturday in the U.S.-Belarus Davis Cup tie that starts Friday at Family Circle Tennis Center.

Seventh isn't a bad world ranking, and the twins have won a solid five tournaments this year. They just haven't won a Grand Slam event, although they were runners-up in the Australian Open and made the French Open semifinals. They lost early at both Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, as well as losing in the quarterfinals at the Olympics.

The question is what has happened to send these talented Californians in the opposite direction from what they had been accustomed to since they turned pro in 1998? Is this just a pause year in their steady climb up the rankings?

After all, it's tough to get higher than No. 1.

Could it be that the rest of men's tennis has learned how to play the Bryans, much like women's tennis has learned how to handle the Williams sisters?

Even U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe admits that is a possibility.

"It's possible," McEnroe said at the U.S. Open. "I mean, you've got to . . . just as in singles, in doubles you've got to adjust and you've got to adapt and you've got to improve. You've got to add some wrinkles to your game and you've got to respond to what players are doing to you.

"So I think that's part of it, and I think they will. I think they work hard, they're committed to what they do, and I think once Mike gets over this thing with his hip, you know, from more of a psychological standpoint, I think it's been tough for him because he's just wondering, 'OK, am I going to have to have surgery?'"

But Mike Bryan said Monday that his hip now "feels better than it ever has. I was doing sprints and two a days in Austin (Texas, last week at Andy Roddick's place) with the guys. I haven't done that for a long time."

The Bryans' previous disappointments in 2004 might actually be bad news for the Belarusssian doubles team of Max Mirnyi and Vladimir Voltchkov, who lost to the Bryans in straight sets at the Olympics.

"The Davis Cup is the last goal for us. The others are gone. We've wasted them," Bob Bryan said at Monday's Davis Cup news conference.

Bob actually has a consolation prize for 2004 in that he teamed with Vera Zvonereva to win the U.S. Open mixed doubles crown.

Just because they defeated Mirnyi and Voltchkov at the Olympics doesn't mean the Bryans are taking Saturday's match for granted.

Bob Bryan said their victory over the Belarussians in Athens wouldn't mean anything in this Davis Cup meeting. "We played very well that match," he said. "We got some quick breaks and we were serving the ball well.

"It gives us a little confidence, but I don't think that match will have much to do with this match. I think Mirnyi and Voltchkov are playing their best tennis of the year in Davis Cup competition."

FISH BREAKS ONE

Mardy Fish pulled even with Andy Roddick Tuesday in one Davis Cup semifinal practice statistic. The session was closed, but McEnroe confirmed that his No. 2 singles player was now tied with Roddick for the team lead in smashed rackets.

"It's one-up. Andy was thinking about a second one today, but he decided against it, and had a good practice," McEnroe joked.

WHEN UP IS DOWN

Fish is going into Friday's match against Mirnyi in somewhat of a slump in that Fish has lost three of his last five matches, but in each match he was up a set and was one set from victory. That was in the Olympic final, the second round of the U.S. Open and the second round last week in Delray Beach, Fla.

"Mardy needs to keep moving forward," McEnroe said. "He can play aggressively and still not be going for winners.

"But I had rather he be up two sets to one than down two sets to one Friday."

Like the Davis Cup, the Olympic final and U.S. Open matches were all best-of-five sets.

MCENROE CLINIC

McEnroe will participate in a free community tennis clinic for local kids today from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Moultrie Playground. The USTA's High Performance players from Key Biscayne, Fla., and members of the College of Charleston's tennis team will help with the clinic. McEnroe will be available for questions at approximately 6 p.m.

============================================
=============================================
==========================================

Camp Andy

Retreat at Roddick's compound strengthened the bonds between four U.S. Davis Cup teammates

BY DAVID CARAVIELLO

Andy Roddick pulled the brim of his baseball cap down low over his forehead, and tried not to laugh as friend and U.S. Davis Cup teammate Mardy Fish whispered highly sarcastic sweet nothings in his ear. (OMG LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! They really need to stop this!!!!!!!! death!!!!!) Roddick was facing yet another question about how successful, popular, and good-looking he is, and Fish was twisting the needle every which way he could.

It was hard enough for the two to keep straight faces for the 20 minutes they were on stage for a press conference introducing the American team that will play Belarus in a Davis Cup semifinal beginning Friday at the Family Circle Tennis Center. So imagine four days of it -- one-liners and one-upmanship, put-downs and pranks. It was in this fraternity house atmosphere that the U.S. team prepared for the Davis Cup.

Before arriving in Charleston on Sunday, the Americans spent four days at Roddick's spread in Austin, Texas, doing what young, successful pro tennis players do. They practiced, acclimating themselves to heat and humidity they hope will be their allies on Daniel Island. But more than anything else, Camp Andy was an extended session of male bonding, a retreat for four 20-somethings who get along about as well as any Davis Cup teammates ever have.

"It was a blast," said Bob Bryan, who plays doubles with twin brother Mike. "Andy mentioned it before the U.S. Open, and we all thought it would be a great idea just to have some fun and practice hard. It was hot there, so we got used to the climate. It was a good four days."

And it was all Roddick's idea. While the camp itself might have bordered on Delta House with rackets, the initiative behind it showed just how comfortable these four players are with one another, and a level of maturity in the 22-year-old Roddick that his cut-up personality belies.

"I think it says a lot about his maturity. I think it says a lot about what Davis Cup means to him, what it means to be the leader of a team," said U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe. "The guys have fun. They generally have fun together. But I was real happy to hear Andy say that. He brought the idea up to me at the Open or the Olympics, and that's nice. That's a nice thing, and hopefully it's something we can build on. But it's also good for the guys to come to Andy's place and see the work he's doing day after day. That says a lot about where he is and why he's only going to get better."

In true Roddick style, he's not immediately willing to claim responsibility. "They just showed up at my door," said the world No. 2-ranked player. "All this talk about me giving them notice and stuff, they just showed up and moved in. I really didn't have a choice in the matter."

But seriously, folks ...

"I thought it would be good if we all hung out, just kind of got together and had some fun before Davis Cup time," he said. "We come here, and things get a little more serious. It was a good time. It was pretty simple. Everybody had a good time."

All the barbs tossed about by these teammates -- and there are plenty of them -- are good-natured. Mike Bryan, who has been nursing a hip injury, said he did sprints in Austin. Roddick corrected that they were sprints to the fridge for another beer (Andy..:rolleyes: ). These are players who clearly enjoy each others' company, which Roddick expects will be reflected in the level of play this weekend. They don't just want to win the Davis Cup, which has eluded the U.S. since 1995. They want to win it together.

"Our biggest thing is that our whole team is on the same page, as far as we have the common goal of trying to win this thing together someday," Roddick said. "I think it helps that we do get along, and that we are friendly off the court makes these weeks a lot easier, and it makes our decisions to compete as a team a lot easier as well."

As close as the four American players are, Fish and Roddick take it to another level. (seriously, please! :haha: ) Although Roddick is from Nebraska and Fish from Minnesota, they lived together while attending prep school in Boca Raton, Fla. Fish also lived with the Roddick family while attending college. Put them next to each other, and watch the routine begin.

"They're pretty much always like that," McEnroe said. "They lived together for a year when they were in high school. They're old buddies, and they're good buddies, and that's the way they always are. They stayed together during the Olympics in the village together, and had a blast. Obviously, they can be competitive with each other, and that's what you want. But they're sort of always needling each other and having fun with each other. It wasn't just Austin, believe me. That's gone on for many years."

But beyond Roddick's often sarcastic persona lies a racket-smashing devil of a competitor, one that's emerged as the clear leader of this Davis Cup team. Opening his home to his teammates was further evidence of how much he has embraced that role.

"Andy's work ethic is excellent, and Andy continues to look for ways to get better and better," McEnroe said. "He's our leader in that way, and he's grasped that. The funny thing is, he's so young, and yet he's really sort of our guy. Not just in being the top player, but in leading by example." :D

http://www.charleston.net/images/092204/11096_512.jpg

Deboogle!.
09-22-2004, 03:45 PM
A Davis Cup guide for football fans

Into the vortex of a big college football weekend in a football-mad state is cast a Davis Cup semifinal match onto Daniel Island, which is great if you have Florida State, Syvelle Newton and the United States of America on a parlay card.
The U.S. in its "tie" against Belarus set to begin Friday at Family Circle Magazine Stadium is the heavy favorite.

Davis Cup stuff hot on the gridiron:

Apples and Orange Bowls -- Think of the U.S. as Miami, a very good but not unbeatable team, a bunch of flashy players with a no-nonsense coach. Belarus is Boise State, an up-and-coming team more comfortable in cold weather. The Davis Cup semifinal winner goes to the Davis Cup final, tennis equivalent of the Orange Bowl. Minus the BCS computers.

Point-spreads -- The U.S. should be favored by three points. In Davis Cup parlay parlance that means Andy Roddick and Co. have a huge edge, wider than Florida State over Clemson in Bowden Bowl VI (by 17-1/2 points) or South Carolina over Troy (by two Syvelle Newton touchdowns) because a Davis Cup competition lasts only five matches.

'MORE PRESSURE'

Home-field advantage -- It means a lot in College Station and on Daniel Island. Note to fans: Unlike the Family Circle Cup and other tennis events, it's OK to yell and scream. The U.S. team has enjoyed the support of the "Net Heads."

The wild, wacky fan group made up mostly of Atlanta businessmen was co-founded by John Roddick, Andy's older brother and a former University of Georgia tennis standout. When the "Net Heads" get loud, the Belarus guys will long for the friendly confines of Minsk.

Brother Act -- The doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan? Think Peyton and Eli Manning in the same backfield zinging passes. At the same time.

Remember The Maine -- Upsets are part of college football and Davis Cup. Last week, Division I-AA Maine won at Mississippi State. Belarus worked its way into the World Group -- the Davis Cup equivalent of Division I-A -- for the first time and then surprised Russia and Argentina. Belarus No. 1 singles player Max Mirnyi isn't intimidated as a road underdog.

"That makes it tougher," he said, "but maybe it's a little bit more pressure on them."

BREAKAWAY REPUBLICS

Injury report -- U.S.: Mike Bryan, hip (probable). Belarus: Vladimir Voltchkov, various ailments (probable).

West Virginia/Belarus -- The Mountaineers come from a state that broke away from another state and are on a football roll. Belarus, a country that broke away from another country, recently thrashed Argentina, a team nearly as well coached as Maryland.

The Cornhusker factor -- Roddick, an Omaha native, is a big fan of Nebraska football. He knows all too well that playing in Lincoln against an underdog doesn't guarantee victory (see loss to Southern Miss).

"They're the real deal," Roddick said of Belarus. "They've obviously gotten up for their ties this year and that makes them dangerous."

Every bit as dangerous as Maine.

star
09-22-2004, 03:49 PM

That was funny.

snaillyyy
09-22-2004, 04:52 PM
WOW I love that we are getting all the articles now :D and Deb thanks for posting these :hug: :hug:

Deboogle!.
09-22-2004, 07:06 PM
my pleasure! :hug:

Fumus
09-22-2004, 09:39 PM
I saw this special on HBO and Belarus was one of the area's most effected by Chernobyl and there are high levels of radio activity throughout the country.

Deboogle!.
09-22-2004, 09:45 PM
I saw this special on HBO and Belarus was one of the area's most effected by Trinobal and there are high levels of radio activity throughout the country.

Please tell me you meant Chernobyl....

Fumus
09-22-2004, 09:51 PM
right yea, that's what I said...what are you reading? ;)

Deboogle!.
09-22-2004, 09:54 PM
:haha: nice try :nerner:

andyroxmysox12191
09-22-2004, 11:41 PM
:kiss: thanks deb :kiss:

Deboogle!.
09-23-2004, 12:45 AM
Davis Cup Semifinals: U.S. vs Belarus Preview

9/20/04 5:20 PM

By Greg Laub, USTA.com

Day 1: 1:30 PM EST
Day 2: 3:00 PM EST
Day 3: 1:00 PM EST
Family Circle Tennis Center
Daniel Island
Charleston, South Carolina
Stadium Capacity: 10,200
Surface: Hard (Decoturf) - Outdoors

The Davis Cup World Group semifinals are set to be played this weekend from Sept. 24-26, and the U.S. is home, hosting Belarus, while France will travel to Spain.

This is the first time the United States and Belarus have faced one another. Belarus has only been a nation since 1991 (when it became independent from the former Soviet Union), and played in their first Davis Cup competition in 1994. Though they do boast a 19-7 career record, they are also competing in the 16-nation Davis Cup World Group for the first time ever this year. So far so good, as they are 2-0 with their 5-0 quarterfinal win over Argentina and 3-2 upset over Russia in the first round.

The win over Russia is the one that shocked the world. With Russia’s Igor Andreev two games from losing the first rubber, Vladimir Voltchkov, the No. 2 player for Belarus, twisted his ankle and was forced to retire. One would have thought any chance Belarus had of an upset went out the door with that unlucky event.

But Max Mirnyi outlasted Marat Safin 11-9 in the fifth set of a true classic, leveling the tie at 1-1 after one day and lifting Belarus's spirits. After Russia came back to take the doubles match, Mirnyi rose to the occasion again, sweeping Andreev away, and then Voltchkov amazed everyone by beating Mikhail Youzhny on one leg.

“I’ve always tried my best on the court," Voltchkov said. "But it seems like when it’s the Davis Cup, it’s something special.”

It was a special victory for Belarus, but it looked as if it would be short-lived. Waiting in the wings was a dangerous team from Argentina.

But this time luck was on Belarus’s side, as injuries to the two top Argentine players caused a dramatic swing. Both Guillermo Coria and David Nalbandian sat out, and Belarus cruised past their replacements to advance to the semifinals.

"For 10 years we struggled for this result, and today's victory was a reward," said Belarus captain Sergei Teterin after the 5-0 blowout.

"For them it's huge to get this far,” U.S. coach Patrick McEnroe said. “Mirnyi is a big-match player. Voltchkov was a Wimbledon semifinalist and is a streaky player."

The United States have a far more well-known history, with close to 200 ties won in their 90 years of action. The U.S. has won 31 Davis Cup titles and has been Davis Cup runner-up on 28 occasions.

On the heels of last year’s disappointing first round upset to Croatia, where they had to win a playoff just to remain in the World Group this year, coach McEnroe has them suddenly in prime position to reach their first final since 1997. But while they are favored on paper, they must not look ahead. Belarus can surprise, just ask Russia.

McEnroe selected Charleston as the host site mainly so his top ace in the hole, Andy Roddick, can amp up his serve and power Belarus away on the pavement.
“Part of the reason we went to Charleston is that the conditions, I believe, will be favorable for us,” McEnroe said. “With the relatively slow hard court, outdoors, same balls (as the U.S. Open), hot conditions, pretty humid… I think we’ve done what we can do to give ourselves the advantage.”

The Family Circle Tennis Center was once clay court actually, but they just resurfaced the court with DecoTurf II, which should help Roddick and hurt the Belarus squad. Roddick is 3-0 in his career against Mirnyi, and all of those matches were played on hard courts, and all of them were extremely close. So McEnroe wants A-Rod to have every advantage possible with the court.

But keep in mind that Belarus is somewhat of a fast court team too, with Mirnyi playing an aggressive attack game and both he and Voltchkov ranked in the top ten in service speed. So the advantage with Roddick is not as extreme as McEnroe might think, and beyond the Roddick factor and the home court advantage, there is not a whole lot else favoring the Americans. In fact, Mirnyi believes the home court isn't always an advantage.

"The fact that they are playing at home, they are expected to win. That makes it much tougher for them to play. They must feel like they are under pressure.”

Playing No. 2 for the U.S. will be Mardy Fish, who has struggled mightily so far in Davis Cup action, with a 3-4 career win-loss record in singles. Some good news is that while he has never faced Voltchkov, Fish did just beat Mirnyi in Athens at the Olympics in their first-ever meeting, on his way to a silver medal.

“I believe in Mardy. I think Mardy still has a tremendous upside,” McEnroe said. “I feel like he still has just scratched the surface of what he’s capable of doing. He’s got a lot of game.”
McEnroe later added that he was impressed with Mardy’s play at the Olympics, and feels that his win over Mirnyi was a sign of things to come and part of why he was chosen to stay with the team here in the semifinals. But he also admitted that Mardy has been shaky at Davis Cup recently, and that never facing Voltchkov, a “flashy shot maker” who “is capable of playing a great match”, could be a real disadvantage.

What is really troubling is that if Voltchkov's "one great match" is against Fish, it will leave Mardy with the possibility of having to beat Mirnyi on the final day (if that’s how the draw shapes up) to get his team into the final. All this because the usually dependable doubles team of Mike and Bob Bryan are not 100%, and cannot be counted on for an automatic win anymore.

The twins are 3-0 in Davis Cup doubles play so far, and have always been the rock on the middle day for McEnroe to lean on. On top of that, they are also coming off an Athens victory over the same Belarus team they will play on Saturday. But the bad news is that Mike is not at all healthy, in fact, he is suffering through a serious hip injury that will probably require surgery.

"He does have an injury and he's going to have to address that," McEnroe said. “The boys have not had the summer they expected. I believe part of that is Mike dealing with the injury."

So the U.S. will have to hope for a huge two win performance from Roddick and a split from Fish, or else it could come down to the rubber with the Bryans, which is a bit of a crapshoot considering Mike's hip.

"My hip feels better than it ever has... I was doing sprints and two-a-days in Austin with the guys, I haven't done that for a long time. I'm feeling great. This summer I didn't really get a chance to practice too much, but I feel I am going to be 100 percent by Saturday."

Rounding out the Belarus team is 18-year-old Alexander Skrypko and 15-year-old Andrei Karatchenia. Skrypko holds a 1-5 record in Davis Cup play, while Karatchenia was the 2003 European Boys' 14 Champion. Neither player will see any action unless the tie is already clinched.

The winner will play either France or the heavily favored Spain. Should the United States defeat Belarus, it would either travel to Spain or host France in the Davis Cup Final, held on Dec. 3-5. If Belarus defeats the United States, it would host the Davis Cup Final. This will be the fifth straight year one of either Spain or France has played in the Davis Cup Final.

Spain will go with the same team from their last tie: French Open champions Carlos Moya and Juan Carlos Ferrero for singles, and Tommy Robredo and Rafael Nadal in doubles.

France will likely go with Arnaud Clement and Paul-Henri Mathieu in singles, and Fabrice Santoro and Michael Llodra in doubles.

star
09-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Did you see the clay court in the bull ring? It's kinda cool. :)

tangerine_dream
09-23-2004, 01:55 AM
I dare somebody to put good money on Mardy.

Havok
09-23-2004, 02:24 AM
The way they talk about Andy and Mardy, it reminds me of myself and my cousin with our millions of inside jokes, it makes me :bigcry: everytime they write articles about them joking around and being all buddy buddy. I can understand how much fun those two have together.;)

superpinkone37
09-23-2004, 03:47 AM
thanks for the awesome articles....reading them sure is more fun than doing homework ;)

Deboogle!.
09-23-2004, 07:01 PM
the draw has been made. Andy's up first on Friday :)

Friday, September 24
R1 - A. Roddick (USA) vs. V. Voltchkov (BLR)
R2 - M. Fish (USA) vs. M. Mirnyi (BLR)

Saturday, September 25
R3 - M. Bryan/B. Bryan (USA) vs. M. Mirnyi/A. Skrypko (BLR)

Sunday, September 26
R4 - A. Roddick (USA) vs. M. Mirnyi (BLR)
R5 - M. Fish (USA) vs. V. Voltchkov (BLR)

tangerine_dream
09-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Beastie's gonna cream Mardy I just know it. :(

Deboogle!.
09-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Roddick and Fish Lead US Charge

The Draw for the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group Semifinal tie between USA and Belarus, taking place in Charleston, South Carolina on 24-26 September 2004, will be as follows:

Andy Roddick (USA) v Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR)
Mardy Fish (USA) v Max Mirnyi (BLR)
Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan (USA) v Max Mirnyi/Alexander Skrypko (BLR)
Andy Roddick (USA) v Max Mirnyi (BLR)
Mardy Fish (USA) v Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR)

Andy Roddick has been handed the chance to lead the USA’s charge in his team’s Davis Cup by BNP Paribas semifinal against Belarus in Charleston, South Carolina this weekend after Thursday’s draw pitched him against Belarussian No.2 Vladimir Voltchkov in the opening match.

“It will be exciting to get out there first and get out of the gates but either way you’ve got to win three sets,” said Roddick. “It’s important to get off to a good start and that responsibility is on me right now. I’m looking forward to it.”

USA’s No.2 Mardy Fish has the unenviable task of playing Belarussian No.1 Max Mirnyi in Friday’s second match. Twins Bob and Mike Bryan will take on Mirnyi and Alexander Skrypko in Saturday’s doubles before Sunday’s reverse singles, when Roddick will play Mirnyi and Fish will play Voltchkov in what could be the deciding fifth rubber.

“Hopefully Andy will wrap it up pretty convincingly and I can get out there quickly and get us to a two-zero lead, that’s our goal,” said Fish, who beat Mirnyi in Athens en route to his Olympic silver medal there.

“It doesn’t hurt to know that I can beat him,” said Fish. “I feel like I’ve played him in a similar situation, where we both really, really wanted to win and I feel like I’ve have the type of game to beat him. My returns are the best part of my game and against his good serve that’s going to be the key.”

Roddick, 22, has never played Voltchkov before but he will be strong favourite to put the USA one point ahead against the eastern European underdogs, a nation making its debut in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group this year but which has been the surprise package of the 2004 competition.

“I’m excited to be here and with another opportunity to be out there and part of something special,” said Roddick.

If the Belarus team, which beat Russia and Argentina en route to the last four, can defeat the mighty forces at USA team captain Patrick McEnroe’s disposal it would one of the biggest upsets in the history of the trophy, but a possibility no-one in Charleston is ruling out.

“They play their best in Davis Cup and they’ve done that this year,” said McEnroe. “Our goal is to make every point tough for them to win and over the course of the three days they are going to have to play extraordinary tennis to do that. It’s been a great year for them to get this far and we need to make sure it doesn’t become a phenomenal year for them by getting to the final. If we play well we are really confident about our chances.”

The Family Circle Tennis Centre in the historic town of Charleston will be packed with nearly 10,000 tennis fans when Roddick and Voltchkov take to the slow hard-court for the opening match and could play a significant role as the tie progresses.

“It’s huge advantage having the home crowd but it also puts a little bit more pressure on us,” said Roddick. “I think we’re all pretty excited. We were part of an away tie in the semis against France and hopefully we’ll enjoy this experience a lot more. It’s unlike any other tennis event, we’re going be excited, they (the crowd) are going to be excited...I wouldn’t be holding back if I was a fan going to Davis Cup this weekend.”

Deboogle!.
09-23-2004, 11:16 PM
ummmmmmm OMFG LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/news/11206_112304_butts.jpg

Team USA Update
by: Scot Hirschfield

9/23/2004 -- "On Wednesday, Team USA continued their preparation for this weekend"s Semifinal round tie against Belarus. Andy and Mardy played a practice set, and as usual with these close friends, the loser had to face some consequences. The typical reward for the winner and punishment for the loser is in the form of a game called "Butts up." The winner gets a pre-determined amount of serves to nail the loser in the butt. The loser, or in this case, losers (As a sign of good faith Mardy"s coach, Kelly Jones stepped up too), have to turn around and stick out their rear ends. The one catch for the server is that the ball must bounce before reaching the target/victim. While this significantly reduces the velocity, I have a feeling it"s still not fun to receive one of Andy"s rockets in the rear.

After practice, Andy stuck to his daily routine, and ventured to Starbucks for some coffee. As you know, Andy is a big sports fan, and loves to read through several sports sections every day to keep up with the top stories. This is a great way for him to get away from the tennis world for a little while.

After a casual team dinner, and a friendly game of Poker with the guys, it was off to bed.

Go Andy! Go Team USA!

Please continue to check back to ar.com for updates on the activities of Andy, and the rest of the Davis Cup Team!"

Deboogle!.
09-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Roddick hoping to rescue disappointing year
Thu 23 September, 2004 22:22

(recasts with quotes)

By Gene Cherry

CHARLESTON, South Carolina, Sept 23 (Reuters) - Andy Roddick hopes to ease the disappointment of not winning a grand slam this year when he leads off the heavily-favoured United States in their Davis Cup semi-final against Belarus on Friday.

"This would definitely help to salvage those other tournaments," said Roddick, who lost to world number one Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final, then bowed out in the quarter-finals of the U.S. Open that he won in 2003.

Roddick faces Belarus number two Vladimir Voltchkov in the opening match before Olympic silver medallist Mardy Fish meets Max Mirnyi.

American twins Bob and Mike Bryan will play doubles against Mirnyi and either teenager Alexander Skrypko or Voltchkov on Saturday, with the reverse singles scheduled for Sunday.

The winners will play Spain or France for the Davis Cup in December. Spain host France in the other semi-final this weekend.

"I think all of us (on the U.S. team) have been really close to picking up some serious hardware this year, with Mardy at the Olympics, the (Bryan) boys in Australia and myself at Wimbledon," world number two Roddick said after Thursday's draw.

"But we weren't the last people standing, so this is by far our primary focus for the rest of the year."

The U.S. have not reached the Davis Cup final since 1997 and have not won the title since 1995.

"Hopefully, Andy will wrap up (his opening match) pretty convincingly and I can get out there early... and we can hopefully try to get a 2-0 lead in the first day," said Fish, who beat Mirnyi in the third round at the Athens Olympics.

Belarus, however, are unlikely to roll over.

CUP UPSETS

They have pulled off a string of Davis Cup upsets this year, surprising Russia 3-2 in the first round in February, then crushing Argentina 5-0.

"So far in our matches -- this will sound too easy -- but we didn't have to play (win) on the third day," said Voltchkov, when asked whether he would be able to go three days with his sprained left wrist.

"I am ready to play (doubles). Alexander is ready to play, and it's up to the captain to decide who's going to go on the court."

A decision will not be made until after Friday's singles, team captain Sergei Teterin said.

Belarus have never advanced this far in the Davis Cup and believe that will provide motivation.

"We are very young and a small country. That's why anything we do in Davis Cup is very much publicised and very well covered," Mirnyi said.

The humid weather in Charleston and newly installed special hard court, which U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe hopes will work in his team's favour, will not be a major factor, according to Mirnyi.

"All of us have been playing on hard courts, so I believe that we're all pretty much in the same shoe," he said.