The 2004 DC Thread is Now Retired

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

tangerine_dream
03-01-2004, 03:01 AM
I hope you are right star!

Swedish meatballs, coming right up! (yum) :lick:

star
03-01-2004, 03:34 AM
Yes the Swedes are meatballs. They won't even put up a fight. The Amis will butcher them.

:drive:

Action Jackson
03-01-2004, 03:58 AM
Tangerinus, but would you be able to cook the meatballs the right way then?

J. Corwin
03-01-2004, 09:39 AM
GWH, are you a chef? Just out of curiosity.

Deboogle!.
03-01-2004, 03:46 PM
OMG dying... thanks for turning this thread around guys ;) :haha:

rassklovn
03-02-2004, 02:13 AM
Jackson, whatever GWH's faults and they are many, he can actually make very good meatballs.

J. Corwin
03-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Oh, so you've tried them before. Comments?

Action Jackson
03-03-2004, 03:38 AM
jackson he is related to me, so yes he has tried them, but I am not going to comment on my own cooking. All I will say there has never been a massive outbreak of food poisoning or gastro because of my food.

tangerine_dream
03-03-2004, 07:37 PM
rassklovn has eaten GWH's meatballs and survived!!! :eek:

Somebody call Jon Krakauer and tell him to write a book about this amazing survival story!!!

;)

MisterQ
03-03-2004, 09:35 PM
A plane crashed in the snowy Andes and months passed with no sign of rescue. The desperate survivors consumed the remains of their dead comrades until there was nothing left. To their horror, they were forced to turn to the only protein source still available: a jar of GWH's meatballs!

http://www.moviehabit.com/photos/alive_150.jpg

andyroxmysox12191
03-03-2004, 09:49 PM
:haha: :haha: Q you are TOO good!!

Action Jackson
03-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Standing ovation Q, though for you tangerinus I would have to think about extra arsenic in your portion.

J. Corwin
03-03-2004, 11:59 PM
I'm actually eating right now

tangerine_dream
03-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Standing ovation Q, though for you tangerinus I would have to think about extra arsenic in your portion.

You'll have to use a lot more than that to kill me, Georgie. :devil:

Action Jackson
03-04-2004, 06:53 AM
I wouldn't try and kill you tangerinus, you are too much fun alive and I have to admit it tangerinus you are my favourite poster here, and yes that includes Q and jackson.

tangerine_dream
03-08-2004, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't try and kill you tangerinus, you are too much fun alive and I have to admit it tangerinus you are my favourite poster here, and yes that includes Q and jackson.

**days quietly pass without incident**

After GWH was captured some nights ago, AR posters at MTF hope the aliens will be done with their disturbing and invasive probing soon and return GWH back to us on earth, in one piece.

http://mysmilies.rgforums.com/s/contrib/edoom/spacecraft.gif

Havok
03-08-2004, 07:22 PM
LMFAO:haha::haha::haha:

andyroxmysox12191
03-08-2004, 07:33 PM
oh...my.....god... :haha:

Deboogle!.
03-08-2004, 10:27 PM
the picture doesn't work for me :bigcry:

J. Corwin
03-08-2004, 11:30 PM
doesn't work for me either

tangerine_dream
03-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Well, yoose guys need to get off your crap machines and get on a *real* computer ... like a Mac. :p

Anyways, it's a picture of the Mother Ship coming to take GWH away. That's why he hasn't been himself lately. ;)

Deboogle!.
03-09-2004, 05:38 PM
lmfao! Damn i want to see it lol

J. Corwin
03-10-2004, 02:25 AM
No one would be him/herself after being examined like that. ;)

tangerine_dream
03-18-2004, 06:59 PM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/bump.gif

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Here's an article from the Florida Sun-Sentinel about the court and stuff, I found it interesting, sort of a behind-the-scenes look at how it goes on a little bit.

-------

Slowing the Swedes

Some time this week, after a conversation with U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe, Paul Gold will begin doing his part to help his country defeat Sweden in the quarterfinal tie, April 9-11, at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.

Gold is president of Accurate Tennis Court, Inc. He lays tennis court surfaces. And he will be ordering sand, and lots of it.

McEnroe wants grit for this best-of-5 matchup. He wants that stadium court rough enough that his players are going to go through a couple of pairs of shoes in practice sessions before the tie begins.

He wants the steam taken out of young Joachim Johansson's booming serve, and he wants Thomas Enqvist's powerful, flat ground stroke to hit and grab, not hit and slide.

It's a calculated risk because it takes away the power from Andy Roddick's game and inhibits Mardy Fish's occasional serving-and-volleying. But McEnroe has done an excellent job so far. We're going to have to trust him on this one.

The reasoning is that while the slower surface will take some of the punch out of Roddick's average 130 mph first serves, he's strong enough that he'll still be able to hit through the court.

Additionally, Roddick has a superior kick serve. When that spinning serve is grabbed by the new Delray surface, it's going to impart an even higher bounce. The Swedes, who all learned to hit with the "pendulum" backhand, in which they drop the racket head below the wrist, aren't going to like that.

This is part of the tactics of home-court advantage in Davis Cup, though home court didn't work for the defending champion Aussies, who lost in the first round this year to Sweden in Adelaide.

How do you give a prescribed pace to a tennis court? The secret is in the sand. Normally, there are three layers to a hardcourt. The first is what is called an acrylic resurfacer coat, a foundation. Next comes the sand -- for a medium paced court, 30 gallons of sand-based material (200 pounds of sand) combined with 20 gallons of paint. The third layer is paint only. For a slower court, use more sand in the second coat.

star
03-21-2004, 03:01 PM
hmmmmmmmmm

I'm sure Mats will be interesting in that strategy. The courts at IW are also pretty gritty and cause a high bounce. Tompa and Pim Pim had a rough time here too.

tangerine_dream
03-21-2004, 03:59 PM
article deleted by the :cat: because bunk already posted it and I'm still asleep :lol:

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Tangy, look up two posts LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tangerine_dream
03-21-2004, 04:00 PM
As soon as I posted it, I saw yours! LMAO!!

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Tompa and Pim Pim had a rough time here too.

Maybe that's why PMac made that call? Though that's making a relatively bold assumption about what the Swedish team will even end up being. They could go and pick Bjorkman and Soderling to play singles too :lol:

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 04:02 PM
As soon as I posted it, I saw yours! LMAO!!

LMFAO! well you can delete the post if you want hahaha.

tangerine_dream
03-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Are you nervous about the Swedes bunk? How do you think we will do?

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 04:11 PM
am I nervous? extremely!! 2 of Andy's worst losses this year came to Swedes (granted, one was in Andy's first tournament which it seems he always does poorly in lmfao and the other was the day he really hurt his back, so I'm not sure just how MUCH one can read into these), Mardy lost to PimPim, if he's the one chosen for the team (which god, I hope he is!), James lost two really poor matches to him also, and above all the Swedes are just really big Davis Cup teams. That's where they play their best, it means a lot to them, etc.

then again, DC means a lot to this group of American guys too. Especially the Bryans - they've consistently said it's more important to them than anything else, and we know Andy is 100% dedicated and from the fact that Mardy showed up even when he wasn't on the team we know he is as well (plus what he pulled off last year in Slovakia)....

to make a long story short, yes I think it will be tough. But the location is excellent for the US guys, Andy and Mardy, if they're the team, will have all their friends and buddies there and that's gotta help. Plus it sounds like they're being very careful designing the court and stuff, so yeah. very close.

tangerine_dream
03-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Seeing as how Blake went further at IW than Fish, I wonder if PMac will name Blake the No 2 player?

star
03-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Jonas likes a fast surface too. :)

I'm sure Jonas will be on the doubles team, and he could play singles because he has shown he can beat Andy. I think Pim Pim will get tapped for doubles and not singles. Pim Pim just had another loss at the challenger level after he lost in qualies here.

But I'm sure that Mats will do the right thing.

anyway, the Swedes SUCK big time, and will be CLOBBERED by the strong invincible Americans.

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 04:34 PM
lmfao star, well Andy and Mardy like fast surfaces too LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Though the Bryans seem to be able to play on pretty much anything huh

and tangy, I don't know.... There have been a couple articles about how Mardy is the frontrunner but Blake might be catching up b/c he beat BOTH Robby and Taylor. However... Mardy lost to Roger. Blake lost to Labadze and tanked the third set after winning the first. So I don't know about their losses affecting them. Mardy had a couple good wins at IW and has shown he can play big matches... can James? I am really not sure. I would trust Mardy if I were PMac.

Havok
03-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Seeing as how Blake went further at IW than Fish, I wonder if PMac will name Blake the No 2 player?
if PMac wants to win, he will NOT put Blake up as a singles player. sorry to be mean, but I'm being honest. James doesn't deserve to be playing the singles rubber, he still needs to sort out his head, and his game quite frankly. he isn't good in big matches and loses to complete nobody's (note-Labadze) and Fish's game is a hell of a lot better than James' game. it'll be Roddick/Fish for singles and obviously the twins for doubles. for the swedes, it'll be Enqvist/Johansson(whichever) for singles with Bjorkman/PimPim (;) star) for doubles, and i wouldn't be surprised if they made Jonas play Andy if they're not beat yet in the deciding day

tangerine_dream
03-22-2004, 02:21 AM
I agree. Even though Mardy blew that last set with Roger, he doesn't usually "tank" his matches against lesser players the way Blake does, and Mardy seems better able to handle enormous pressure.

Remember what Mardy pulled off at DC in Slovakia: after Andy lost his first round to Hrbaty (the shock of the world; this was right after his US Open win), all the pressure to pull the US through was on Mardy (if Mardy lost, the US was out of World Group contention). Clay is Mardy's worst surface and he was basically untested at DC until that match where he defeated Kucera 4*6, 7*5, 7*5, 6*1* (Kucera had beaten Mardy at their only other meeting). He single-handedly salvaged the US DC team with that win and the next day during the Bryans doubles match, the commentators were all moony over Fish. :hearts: The camera kept cutting back and forth between the Bryans playing to Mardy giggling with his pals and listening to music with his headphones on. :lol: Much like he was doing at DC vs Austria in Connecticut. :yeah:

anyway, the Swedes SUCK big time, and will be CLOBBERED by the strong invincible Americans.

RIGHT ON! :yeah: I like the way you think star! :dance: Swedish meatballs coming right up! http://www.naxja.org/forum/images/smilies/chef.gif

Deboogle!.
03-22-2004, 04:15 AM
I totally agree tangy... and I think Mardy will be chosen for the team. Here's a nice article/editorial from one of the S. Florida papers. I'm so excited about the Miami tournament b/c the South Florida papers have wonderful tennis writers, all of them!
-----------

Cup not always about unity
Published March 22, 2004
Charles Bricker

KEY BISCAYNE · They're all here this week at the Nasdaq-100 -- the young, close-knit, small army of good buddies from which Captain Patrick McEnroe will select the U.S. Davis Cup team that plays Sweden on April 9-11 in Delray Beach.

Before this tournament begins Wednesday, they will have played practice sets against each other for burgers and later hoisted a few at some local dining spot, even if it's just a couple of sodas.

At some point, Andy Roddick and Bob Bryan will renew their go-for-the-jugular ping-pong competition. And there will be, as always, the ribbing, the joking and, undoubtedly, the boasting that my March Madness team is better than yours.

Roddick, Bryan, his twin brother Mike Bryan, Mardy Fish, Robby Ginepri, James Blake and Taylor Dent ... they genuinely like each other. They've grown through the juniors together. For a year, Fish lived with the Roddicks in Boca Raton while he and Andy were classmates at Boca Prep. Fish and Blake live down the block from each other in north Tampa, and they're trying to convince Ginepri to move down from Marietta, Ga., and join them.

What a stark contrast they are to the 1984 Davis Cup squad led by the top two players in the world -- John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors. The team went to Gothenburg, Sweden, for the final and got its collective derriere booted halfway back across the Atlantic Ocean.

That was supposed to be tennis' dream team, and it included what is perhaps the greatest doubles team ever, McEnroe and Peter Fleming. McEnroe and Fleming got along famously. But Connors and anyone else on the squad was inflammatory.

They didn't hate each other overtly. But they didn't talk. There were times they didn't stay at the same hotel. They didn't practice together. Two days before the opening singles matches against Sweden, Captain Arthur Ashe called McEnroe and told him Connors had phoned and said he would prefer if Johnny Mac didn't come to the team dinner that night.

And there was the outrageous incident at practice, which Ashe recounts in his biography. Jimmy Arias, exhausted from working everyone else out six hours a day, was late for a session with Connors.

When Connors arrived and found no Arias, he waited, waited, waited and then etched a two-word vulgarity into the indoor clay surface. By Monday, the U.S. team was on the way home, a 4-1 loser.

Mats Wilander, now the Swedish captain, beat Connors in straight sets, and Henrik Sundstrom did the same to McEnroe. A day later, 18-year-old Stefan Edberg teamed with Anders Jarryd to win the doubles in four sets.

McEnroe and Fleming played 15 Davis Cup doubles matches together. This was their only loss.

Does team unity mean anything in the Davis Cup? Who can say for sure. That final was played on clay, which wasn't the best surface for Connors and McEnroe. Still, they were the two best players in the world at the time.

There seemed to be no spark or desire from the U.S. team and no one jumping out of a courtside chair to yell, "Yessss, Mac" or "Great shot, Jimmy." Meanwhile, the Swedes were young and full of fire, just as Patrick McEnroe's team will be next month at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.

This is the closest Davis Cup team since the late 1960s and early 1970s, when Ashe, Stan Smith and Bob Lutz ruled the game. It hasn't gone unnoticed by Wilander.

"It's great to see that from the Americans," Wilander said in a telephone interview from his home in Sun Valley, Idaho. "You didn't see that in 1984."

You also didn't see enough of it in the Davis Cup years of Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi and Jim Courier. There was great professional respect among those three and you can't forget Sampras being hoisted on shoulders after he beat the Russians, almost single-handedly, in the 1995 final in Moscow. But no one could say those three were passionate about each other's fortunes.

This group is different. You have the sense that they're destined to win the Cup, if not this season, then next. And years from now, when they're ready to tell their children about their Davis Cup exploits, they'll be recounting not what "I" did in the final against Argentina or Switzerland.

It will be what "we" did.

star
03-22-2004, 09:15 AM
lmfao star, well Andy and Mardy like fast surfaces too LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Though the Bryans seem to be able to play on pretty much anything huh

and tangy, I don't know.... There have been a couple articles about how Mardy is the frontrunner but Blake might be catching up b/c he beat BOTH Robby and Taylor. However... Mardy lost to Roger. Blake lost to Labadze and tanked the third set after winning the first. So I don't know about their losses affecting them. Mardy had a couple good wins at IW and has shown he can play big matches... can James? I am really not sure. I would trust Mardy if I were PMac.

He's doing it for the high bounce and Andy's kick serve.

star
03-22-2004, 09:18 AM
RIGHT ON! :yeah: I like the way you think star! :dance: Swedish meatballs coming right up! http://www.naxja.org/forum/images/smilies/chef.gif

The Swedes are so bad that PMac shouldn't even bother to make Andy play. Just send in Blake and Ginepri to mop them up. :)

Deboogle!.
03-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Just send in Black

Yea with me in there the Swedes would have a pretty good shot ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

star
03-22-2004, 01:46 PM
lol...

And to think I was actually driving about 30 minutes before I typed that!!

Deboogle!.
03-22-2004, 01:48 PM
lol.... I just realized that you probably don't know why I said that, because really how could you? LOL I'll PM you :)

Deboogle!.
04-03-2004, 04:38 AM
oops..... PimPim is hurt :(
------

Swedish team loses Johansson

BY CHARLES BRICKER

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - (KRT) - The Swedish Davis Cup team that plays the U.S. team at Delray Beach, April 9-11, has been dealt a severe setback by a shoulder injury to young, big-serving Joachim Johansson, who has returned home and will not play.

Johansson is one of the four players named earlier this week to the team and was almost certainly going to play doubles with Jonas Bjorkman and was a candidate to play one of the two first-day singles matches with Thomas Enqvist.

Now, captain Mats Wilander has some major decisions to make. He probably will replace Johansson with Thomas Johansson, the 2002 Australian Open champion who is not playing good tennis right now.

Thomas Johansson went out in the first round at Key Biscayne to Nikolay Davydenko and is 7-7 for the season. His doubles prospects are also questionable. He played Davis Cup with Bjorkman in 2002 and lost twice to Wayne Arthurs/Todd Woodbridge of Australia and Greg Rusedski/Tim Henman of Great Britain.

The loss of Joachim Johansson removes Sweden's biggest serving threat and a quality doubles player from this quarterfinal tie. He was 10-3 coming into the Nasdaq-100 Open, having won the title at Memphis, where he defeated Americans James Blake and Mardy Fish en route to his win over Nicolas Kiefer in the final.

Joachim Johansson, 6 feet 6, was blasting serves at around 135 mph for much of this year until his shoulder began to ache. He was not in good form, however, when he arrived at the Nasdaq, losing first round to Juan Monaco 7-6 (6), 6-2, and complained that he was tiring on court.

It was hoped that rest was all he needed, but an MRI showed a shoulder strain that is going to need several weeks to heal.

At 21, Joachim Johansson is a rising star, and Wilander was not afraid to use him in doubles against Australia in the Davis Cup first round. He and Bjorkman defeated Wayne Arthurs and Todd Woodbridge, who is Bjorkman's touring doubles partner, in five sets.

Fish, who is playing singles for the United States along with Andy Roddick, won't miss Johansson, who took him out 6-2, 6-4 in the semifinals at Memphis.

When the substitution is made, the Swedish team will be Bjorkman, Thomas Johansson, Thomas Enqvist and Robin Soderling.

Without Joachim Johansson, Wilander is faced with another critical decision. He would have felt comfortable resting Bjorkman the first day and going with Joachim Johansson and playing Bjorkman in doubles Saturday and the reverse singles Sunday.

He would feel less comfortable using Thomas Johansson in the first-day singles and so must now choose between him or pushing Bjorkman into the Friday singles, which means Bjorkman could be playing best-of-5 matches three days in a row.

star
04-03-2004, 10:51 AM
At least there is an explaination for his horrible play over the past few weeks.

:sad:

Deboogle!.
04-03-2004, 01:35 PM
yea, at his age and with his serve, a shoulder injury is not a good thing... hopefully he'll be ok sooner than expected!

star
04-03-2004, 01:38 PM
It's not a good harbinger.

I'm hoping that he will rest it for as long as needed and then strengthen the muscle so this doesn't recur.

Deboogle!.
04-03-2004, 01:45 PM
yea, definitely!! You said he has a good coach right? Hopefully he'll get good advice, then. I mean shoulders are rough, look at what Goran and Tommy and others are going through... I'm actually pretty surprised that Andy hasn't had a shoulder problem yet *knock on wood* so yeah hopefully he can rest at home where he's comfortable and get it worked out. He probably wouldn't have done too much on clay anyway, I imagine?

star
04-04-2004, 02:28 PM
According to a post on the Sweden board, a Swedish newspaper reports Enqvist has an injured foot is not sure to play D.C. :sad: (for me) :yippee: (for the rest of you :p)

star
04-04-2004, 02:31 PM
yea, definitely!! You said he has a good coach right?

He has enqvist's former coach.............. and Tompa also had shoulder problems. But not so early in his career.

Deboogle!.
04-05-2004, 09:16 PM
DC news starting to come in... the captains must've had their conferences today or something. How nice of PMac to give Andy a day off :o

and :lol: at what Enqvist says about Andy's serve hehe

Oh and I love the headline.... like no, Roddick's gonna face a German in the USA vs. Sweden tie :rolleyes:
----

Roddick Likely to Face Swede at Davis Cup

TIM REYNOLDS

Associated Press

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. - Andy Roddick is the ATP Tour's leader in matches won this year, is coming off a title at the Nasdaq-100 Open and has climbed back to the world's No. 2 ranking.

Imagine how much better off he'd be if he could just steer clear of the Swedes.

Roddick has lost only five of 31 matches this year, but two of those losses were straight-setters against Thomas Enqvist and Jonas Bjorkman. And he'll likely face one of those two players Friday when the U.S. team and Sweden open their best-of-5 Davis Cup quarterfinal matchup.

"It's a huge goal of mine to help our team win Davis Cup," Roddick said Sunday after beating Argentina's Guillermo Coria in the Nasdaq-100 final. "I mean, I've been a fan ever since I went to a tie when I was younger. So it's definitely a priority in my tennis life, that's for sure."

U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe excused Roddick from the team's practice and media session on Monday, saying it was a well-earned day off following the grind of the Nasdaq-100. Roddick will practice Tuesday.

"He's fine. He's obviously just tired," McEnroe said.

Roddick will be one of the big keys if the Americans are to claim their first Davis Cup title since 1995 and end the nation's longest drought in nearly seven decades. He and Mardy Fish will play singles against Sweden; Bob and Mike Bryan will be the doubles representatives for the American side.

"The fact they have one of the better players in the world I don't think scares us that much," Swedish captain Mats Wilander said. "In Davis Cup, it's just one match."

Enqvist is 2-1 all-time against Roddick, including a 7-6, 6-3 win at the Kroger St. Jude tournament in Memphis in late February. Roddick was hampered by a sore back in that match, but refused afterward to blame the loss on his lack of mobility.

Roddick has beaten Bjorkman in three of five meetings, including a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 win last week in the third round of the Nasdaq-100 Open. Bjorkman beat Roddick in the second-round of the Qatar Open 6-3, 6-4 three months ago.

"You have to get that 10,000 mph serve back," Enqvist said. "If you do that, then you have a chance."

Roddick's serve doesn't quite get that fast, although it's still the most vaunted on tour. The 150 mph blast he uncorked against Austria's Stefan Koubek in the first round of Davis Cup play earlier this year is the fastest recorded in tennis history.

McEnroe said Monday he hopes this Davis Cup - being played about 10 miles from Roddick's Boca Raton home - gets Roddick as excited as he was for the tie against the Austrians.

"We're extremely lucky that he's as committed as he is to Davis Cup," McEnroe said. "He gets very, very excited about playing. He gets along with all of us very well. And he loves the team atmosphere and the team format. He was born with that, or certainly his parents instilled that in him when he was a kid."

Wilander, who retired three years before Roddick's pro career began in 1999, said he has a foolproof way of ensuring he could handle a matchup with the hard-serving American: "I made sure I was born in 1964."

zoltan83
04-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Nice that Andy play Davis Cup. And I hope he'll play all matches until the final.

I only forgot that some Sweden players caused him some problem some times.

tangerine_dream
04-05-2004, 11:03 PM
and :lol: at what Enqvist says about Andy's serve hehe
Oh and I love the headline.... like no, Roddick's gonna face a German in the USA vs. Sweden tie :rolleyes:

:lol: I agree bunk.

"You have to get that 10,000 mph serve back," Enqvist said. "If you do that, then you have a chance."

Wilander, who retired three years before Roddick's pro career began in 1999, said he has a foolproof way of ensuring he could handle a matchup with the hard-serving American: "I made sure I was born in 1964."

:haha:

J. Corwin
04-05-2004, 11:37 PM
haha!

Deboogle!.
04-05-2004, 11:46 PM
oy!!!!!! What's in the water down there???? Andy, Mardy, Bryans, Jonas, Thomas J., Robin....be careful guys!

Deboogle!.
04-05-2004, 11:47 PM
wait.... star where did your post go!?!?! LOL!

star
04-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Oh! I saw that I had posted that news further up, so I deleted.

You are just too fast for me. :p

Havok
04-05-2004, 11:50 PM
:scared: if Enqvist isn't gonna play, the team won't be so strong:o Jonas/Thomas.Robin are good, but not so great when missing Enqvist/Joachim. poor dudes

Deboogle!.
04-05-2004, 11:50 PM
:confused: I don't see it anywhere? :scratch: lol!

edit. oops I found it, it was the last post on the previous page so I missed it.

Anyway, I hope it's nothing chronic or long-term or anything!!

star
04-05-2004, 11:53 PM
According to a post on the Sweden board, a Swedish newspaper reports Enqvist has an injured foot is not sure to play D.C. :sad: (for me) :yippee: (for the rest of you :p)

Here it is. :p

Aphex
04-06-2004, 12:12 AM
WTF! Enqvist is injured too!? The truth is out! Swedish tennis-players are made of glass. This suxxx! We're doomed! Now I'm depressed. :sad: Time to sulk.

zoltan83
04-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Hey I hope that men will have not the same malediction that the women. There is so many injuries on WTA Tour and i don't want the same things on ATP side.

star
04-06-2004, 12:49 AM
WTF! Enqvist is injured too!? The truth is out! Swedish tennis-players are made of glass. This suxxx! We're doomed! Now I'm depressed. :sad: Time to sulk.

Yes. I am sulking too. :(

But.... Welcome to Andy's place. :wavey:

Nice to see you here.

Deboogle!.
04-06-2004, 03:20 AM
Roddick arrives for Davis Cup duty
BY MICHELLE KAUFMAN
Knight Ridder Newspapers

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. - (KRT) - Andy Roddick waited since childhood for his first professional tennis title on Key Biscayne, and once it came Sunday afternoon, he had only 24 hours to savor it.

Roddick had to hit the road and head up I-95 to Delray Beach, where the United States Davis Cup team gathered Monday to begin preparations for this weekend's quarterfinal tie against Sweden. Roddick was allowed to skip the noon workout and afternoon news conference, but he planned to join the team at a sports bar to watch Monday's men's NCAA basketball championship game.

He will begin working out Tuesday at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.

Roddick, who won the NASDAQ-100 Open on Sunday when Guillermo Coria retired in the fourth set, enters the Davis Cup matches with a giant boost of confidence. His 26 wins this season lead the ATP, and he moved one spot to No. 2 in the world rankings, released Monday. He also has won three of the past four hardcourt titles at Masters Series events on United States soil, a good omen.

LET CHANTS BEGIN

``This tournament the NASDAQ was really good for me,'' Roddick said after his win. ``I had been talking for the last three to four weeks about how I needed a big result to kind of put my stamp on this year so far. And this tournament is exactly what I was looking for.''

Sunday's match also offered an appetizer of Davis Cup atmosphere. Thousands of Argentine fans waved sky blue and white flags and serenaded Coria with ``Gui-lle! Gui-lle!'' When the match was over, a fan threw Coria a national team soccer jersey, which he proudly pulled over his sweaty head, drawing even louder cheers. A few dozen American fans chanted `U-S-A! U-S-A!'' but were drowned out by the Argentines.

``I thought the atmosphere was fantastic,'' Roddick said. ``I mean, the chants weren't for me, but I thought it was awesome. I'd love to see more of it. I can definitely appreciate it, even from the other side.''

This weekend, U.S. fans are expected to outnumber Swedes, but the Swedes who show up likely will be a lively bunch, as they always are. They wear Viking hats, blonde braided wigs, paint their faces blue and yellow and sing clever ditties. Roughly 150,000 people of Swedish descent live in Florida.

``The crowd will be a little louder than at a normal tour match,'' said Swedish captain Mats Wilander. ``The guys feed off that. It's what makes Davis Cup so special.''

RODDICK HAS HELP

Roddick and 18th-ranked Mardy Fish, good friends who lived together while in high school in Boca Raton, will play singles for the United States. Twins Bob and Mike Bryan, the No. 1-ranked team in the world, will play doubles.

The Swedish team - which lost huge server Joachim Johansson to a shoulder injury - includes No. 27 Jonas Bjorkman, No. 49 Robin Soderling, No. 62 Thomas Enqvist and doubles player Thomas Johansson. Wilander said Monday he hasn't decided who will play singles or doubles.

Team USA would appear to be the favorite, based on rankings and the fact they are playing at home. United States captain Patrick McEnroe certainly feels confident.

``We have the No. 1 doubles team in the world, the No. 2 singles player, and another top 20 player, plus we are playing at home,'' McEnroe said. ``By no means is it a lock, but if we play well, we'll be OK. I think we have a very good chance.''

SWEDES CONFIDENT

The Swedes refuse to see themselves as underdogs. They are coming off a 4-1 road upset of Australia and honestly believe they can pull another surprise.

``We would seem to be underdogs, but we don't think of our team that way,'' said Bjorkman. ``There are a lot of upsets in sports, look at the NCAA tournament. Obviously, Andy is a great player and they have a great team, but we were able to go in to Australia and win, and that gave us a lot of confidence.

``The schedule has been good for us because we didn't have to travel much. The Australia tie was right after the Australian Open and this one comes right after NASDAQ, so it's not like we're traveling far and they're not.''

McEnroe knows this much: The crowd will be enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

``Tennis is very popular here, and we're coming off that big tournament in Key Biscayne, so people are in the mood for tennis,'' he said. ``The South Florida fans know tennis, and I think they sense something good is happening with this team. The more we win, the more it will catch up, kind of like the U.S. Women's World Cup team a few years ago. These guys are really into Davis Cup, and I think fans will respond to them.''

Deboogle!.
04-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Teammates Again: Fish And Roddick Reunited On Davis Cup Team
By Richard Pagliaro
04/06/2004

A few years before Andy Roddick began restructuring the ATP Tour with demolition deliveries that blast off the back walls of stadiums with the force of felt-covered wrecking balls, Mardy Fish witnessed his friend's strength in shooting bricks.

"Andy sat on the bench a lot and when he did get in, he missed lay ups," Fish said of Roddick's basketball skills when the pair were teammates on both the Boca Raton Prep basketball and tennis teams five years ago.

Times have changed and the former roommates, who lived together for a year in Roddick's home, are now teammates again on the United States Davis Cup team that will host Sweden in this weekend's Davis Cup quarterfinals at the Delray Beach Stadium and Tennis Center.

Mardy and Andy may never evoke comparisons to Michael and Scottie on the basketball court, but along with twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, the pair are planning to put the U.S. within shooting distance of its 32nd Davis Cup championship.

"It's a huge goal of mine to help our team win Davis Cup," Roddick said. "I mean, I've been a fan ever since I went to a tie when I was younger. So, you know, it's definitely a priority in my tennis life, that's for sure."

The U.S. received a break before it even began training for this tie when Sweden's strongest server, Joachim Johansson, was forced to withdraw from the tie suffering from a strained shoulder. Swedish captain Mats Wilander had hoped that Johansson and Jonas Bjorkman could reprise their successful role as the squad's doubles team — the pair defeated Wayne Arthurs and Todd Woodbridge in Sweden's opening-round upset of defending Davis Cup champion Australia in February — against tennis' top-ranked team, the Bryan brothers.

Doubles has always been a key component of past U.S. Davis Cup championship teams. The United States owns a 170-19 record when it wins the doubles point of a Davis Cup tie and U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe believes the Bryans' status as the world's top team as well as their familiarity with each other as brothers and their experience playing together on a weekly basis, makes them an invaluable ingredient to this team.

"I feel like having these guys on the team and how good they're playing and what a strong team they are outweighs the other option, which is putting in a team of two singles players in doubles," McEnroe said. "And obviously I had difficulty making a decision couple of years ago, but these guys have elevated their game to where they're the No. 1 doubles team in the world."

With Johansson confined to the sidelines, Wilander said he will consider all four of his remaining players — Thomas Enqvist, Robin Soderling, Bjorkman and Thomas Johansson — before announcing his starters at Thursday's draw ceremony.

"There is so much that can happen and I don't fancy telling anyone early that you are going to play, I think it's better that everyone works towards the same goal and everybody is ready to play on Friday morning," Wilander said. "There are so many cases like someone getting injured on Thursday night, or Wednesday after hard practice. So, no I haven't really thought about it."

McEnroe faced his toughest roster decision last week when he chose Fish in favor of Boca Raton resident Vince Spadea, who beat both Roddick and James Blake en route to winning his first career tournament title in Scottsdale last month. The strong-willed Spadea's surge continued when he knocked off former No. 1 Marat Safin before falling to Roddick in the Nasdaq-100 Open semifinals, but Fish's past success against Sweden's singles players — he owns a 6-1 combined record against Enqvist, Bjorkman, Soderling and Johansson— combined with the fact he is ranked higher than Spadea and has posted better results in the past year made him McEnroe's choice as the team's second singles starter.

The fact that Fish can control a match with his serve — Fish finished 2003 second on the ATP Tour behind Roddick in percentage of first-serve points won with 81 percent — while Spadea is more of a counter-punching player who typically must grind out wins in many matches may have also played a part in McEnroe's decision.

"He's got the best record overall, I mean, that's No. 1. I mean it's pretty simple in that sense," McEnroe said of Fish. "He's ranked the highest. I think Mardy has had a
great last six months and has been in the finals of a couple of big tournaments, especially Cincinnati last year. Talent wise, he's got a lot of game and a lot of potential and he's already ranked in the top 20. I don't think results against one player — it's not who played best one week. You have to take a lot of things into account."

Last fall, Fish forged a career highlight in Sweden when he beat Enqvist before stopping Soderling in the Stockholm final to capture his first career ATP title. Fish said relying on his past success against the Swedes in this tie would be as wise as trying to surf on a snow board.

"I think that's kind of out the window. I never played them in Davis Cup," Fish said. "The
results from Davis Cup, I think, have nothing to do with some of the tournaments. It's not the same type of atmosphere. It's not the same type of match. I've had some success against them and hopefully it will continue."

Former Australian Open finalist Thomas Enqvist registered two singles wins and Bjorkman was a singles and doubles victor to account for all four of Sweden's points in its 4-1 triumph over Australia. Enqvist has won two of his three meetings with Roddick, including a 7-6, 6-3 win over an ailing Roddick in the Memphis quarterfinals in February, and could play a pivotal part in Sweden's upset hopes. Though the slow hard court the U.S. has selected for this tie should help both Roddick and Fish, who is 2-0 against the hard-hitting Swede, exploit Enqvist's immobility.

"We have a deep team which is always a good thing, we are not depending on one or two players which is always good in Davis Cup, so I think our confidence level is pretty high," said Enqvist. "Obviously we know this is a very, very tough tie, but it feels good."

Since the year began with the United States' sweep of Austria at the Mohegan Sun, McEnroe has said the goal is to capture the Cup.

"As I said earlier, it's about us being ready. If we're ready and we play well, I like our chances," McEnroe said. "If we play well, they're going to have to deal with that as opposed to us dealing with who they put out there."

The reunion of former high school teammates and fellow Floridians Roddick and Fish has may pose one problem for the pair — procuring enough tickets to accommodate family and friends in a home tie that may feel as familiar as a backyard barbecue.

"I have my whole family coming — grandparents, aunts and uncles who never get
to watch me play," Fish said. "Some buddies, probably 20 people or so."

Deboogle!.
04-06-2004, 06:49 PM
a little blurble from atptennis.com

Newly-crowned Miami champion Andy Roddick will attempt to build on his imposing Davis Cup hard court record – and his awesome record on American soil – when he leads the United States into a quarterfinal battle against Sweden in Delray Beach. Roddick boasts a 7-0 record in Davis Cup singles matches played on hard court and has won 46 of his past 50 matches played in America. :worship: Sweden upset defending champion Australia in the first round.

andyroxmysox12191
04-06-2004, 07:01 PM
nice andy!

tangerine_dream
04-06-2004, 08:57 PM
http://www.eurosport.com/imgbk/TENNIS/ALL/big_MD-I137859.jpg

Acquired taste for Cup

Sweden beware. For once U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe isin't tearing his hair out trying to rustle up enough able bodies. McEnroe says he feels positively “blessed” by the number and quality of eager candidates for the quarter-final tie in Florida. Why the change, wonders Grégory Lanzenberg.

Lining up for the United States on the hardcourt in Delray Beach are the likes of Andy Roddick, James Blake, Mardy Fish, and the Bryan brothers.

It's not the greatest of all the American teams in the competition that goes back to 1900 -- at least not yet.

But it's an unusual time in that there are so many young American players who are not only able but willing to play Davis Cup for their country.

That hasn't always been the case in the post-1968 era of opens and serious cash.

Remember in past campaigns, the no-shows of Jimmy Connors, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Jim Courier and Michael Chang.

Credit the captain, now with four years under his belt at the helm.

Roddick and Blake acquired a taste for the Davis Cup at a very young age when they weren't as experienced. Blooded young, the younger of the McEnroe brothers has obviously managed to maintain that hunger now that they're in full bloom.

CLEARING THE FIRST HURDLE

"We have the team to go all the way," says McEnroe, adding a cautionary, "but anything can happen in Davis Cup."

Having lost in the first round in Switerland in 2001 and Croatia last year, the captain knows the importance of passing that first round in a competition known for its high-voltage atmosphere and nationalistic pressures.

True it was against a lesser Austrian selection, but McEnroe was nonetheless relieved when Andy Roddick, Robby Ginepri and brothers Bob and Mike Bryan got through the first hurdle, winning 5-0.

That result was far from certain beforehand as Australia would tell you, the defending champions having learned their lesson - at home - in the first round against Sweden.

The underrated visitors stepped in and swang big to oust the Aussies, 4-1.

Now Jonas Bjorkman, Thomas Enqvist and Robin Soderling are in Florida with again nothing to lose.

Bjorkman, coming off a good run in Miami where he lost to Roddick in three sets, is in great shape and the most experienced of all having just celebrated his 32nd birthday.

As for former top five player Enqvist, on a good day nobody can beat him so once again, the Americans have to be on their guard.

J. Corwin
04-06-2004, 10:04 PM
a little blurble from atptennis.com

Newly-crowned Miami champion Andy Roddick will attempt to build on his imposing Davis Cup hard court record – and his awesome record on American soil – when he leads the United States into a quarterfinal battle against Sweden in Delray Beach. Roddick boasts a 7-0 record in Davis Cup singles matches played on hard court and has won 46 of his past 50 matches played in America. :worship: Sweden upset defending champion Australia in the first round.

I read that from ATPtennis too...but at once I noticed there's something wrong with it. Andy hasn't won his last 46 of 50 matches played in America. :rolleyes:

It's easy, just think..he has already lost 3 times this year in America...and the two losses before that (which would put him over 4 losses already) were in TMC Houston. And Andy definitely hasn't won 46 matches from then til now. LOL

*shakes head at "official site"*

J. Corwin
04-06-2004, 10:06 PM
I think they just forgot or decided to skip the Houston tournament, and went all the way back to last summer. ;) Bad memories, they have. ;)

Deboogle!.
04-06-2004, 10:10 PM
LOL! Jace, I didn't even notice that. Clearly, I forgot about TMC so maybe they did also ;) B/c it has been 4 losses since last summer if you don't include that. Shame on them and shame on me lol

J. Corwin
04-07-2004, 01:57 AM
But it still doesn't add up to 46 wins. ;) It's 43 wins. The extra 3 had to have come from TMC. So they must have included the wins, but not the losses. lol. ....or maybe it just reads/sounds better. "46 out of 50".

Deboogle!.
04-07-2004, 02:01 AM
But it still doesn't add up to 46 wins. ;) It's 43 wins. The extra 3 had to have come from TMC. So they must have included the wins, but not the losses. lol. ....or maybe it just reads/sounds better. "46 out of 50".

LOL That's hilarious....

Deboogle!.
04-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Andy Plays Host to Davis Cup Team
by: Scot Hirschfield

4/6/2004 --

After a well-deserved day off, Andy returned to the courts on Tuesday. Although practice was pretty light, Andy had a solid hitting session with Davis Cup practice partner, Amer Delic. The 21 year-old from Jacksonville is the reigning NCAA Singles Champion from the University of Illinois. He also is an old friend of Andy and Mardy"s from the Florida Junior tennis scene.

As I write this, Andy is hosting the team at his house in Boca for a dinner. The group ordered in Italian Food, and are enjoying some good company. Tomorrow is the official players banquet which is being held at the Polo Club in Boca Raton.

The Swedish Team is led by Captain Mats Wilander, a 7-time Grand Slam Champion. In 1988, Wilander won 3 of the 4 Grand Slams and finished the year #1 in the world. Along with Stefan Edberg, Wilander helped Sweden capture three Davis Cups in the 80"s and 90"s. The team consists of Jonas Bjorkman, Thomas Enqvist, Thomas Johansson and Robin Soderling. Johansson replaced Joachim Johansson yesterday due to a shoulder injury to the rising star.

An interesting fact regarding this tie is that the US and Sweden have faced each other 10 times in Davis Cup. 9 out of those 10 times the winning team went on to win the Davis Cup for that year!

Check out ar.com for more updates during this exciting Davis Cup week.

J. Corwin
04-07-2004, 06:13 AM
I've seen Amer Delic before. He's a Stanford graduate (I think..or maybe he still goes there). I saw his NCAA win. I also followed him in his brief attempts at the pro level.

Deboogle!.
04-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Another article about the "Boca Buddies" - I love it lol
-----
Prep powerhouse in Boca
By Karen Crouse, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 7, 2004

DELRAY BEACH -- On the University of Georgia campus, everybody knows Bo Hodge's name. The senior walks around the fabled iron arch and people recognize him as "that great tennis player."

It makes Hodge laugh to hear people say that. It goes to show that nobility is all relative.

If Hodge can't get too excited about his All-America exploits, there's a reason. His extended family includes two players you probably have heard of. Guys by the name of Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish.

Hodge, the Bulldogs' No. 1 singles player and one-half of their best doubles team, will hop on a plane to Knoxville on Friday for a match the next day against Tennessee. His former Boca Prep teammates, Fish and Roddick, also have a busy day planned. They are slated to play singles for the United States in its Davis Cup quarterfinal match against Sweden at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.

"It's weird," Hodge said when reached by telephone in Athens. "Five years ago, we were all basically at the same level. Obviously, Mardy and Andy are at a different level than I am now. I think it's great. They're doing something people only dream of."

In 1999, the Boca Prep tennis lineup was tougher to crack than a safe. Dave Martin, a Stanford graduate, was the No. 1 player, followed by Roddick, Fish, Chris Martin and Hodge. They got along famously, banded together by their bright futures and Blanche Roddick's cooking.

Hodge, 22, said they'd often hit on the Roddicks' backyard court before school. Blanche Roddick would whip up a breakfast for them afterward. Whatever she made, it was always delicious.

"I especially liked her pancakes," Hodge said. "She made a great breakfast. Whenever I needed a home-cooked meal, I'd go over to the Roddicks'. I'd eat there once or twice a week."

Hodge, an Athens native, boarded with his strength coach, Stanford Boster, during the two years he attended Boca Prep. Fish, whose family was living in Vero Beach, moved in with the Roddicks.

It's funny. To gain an edge, a lot of kids with professional aspirations leave their families and spend their formative years at the tennis equivalent of military boot camp. The games of Hodge, Fish and Roddick were nurtured in an Ozzie-and-Harriet family setting, and their careers have developed like the perfect soufflé.

"It was the perfect situation for us to be professional tennis players," Fish said. "It's pretty cliché but it made it possible for you to be the best you can be."

Fish, 22, had his own bedroom at the Roddicks'. He had his own curfew, a weakness for Blanche's tacos and her pork chops and potatoes au gratin and a healthy fear of Roddick's no-nonsense dad, Jerry.

"I was scared of Jerry Roddick," Fish said with a laugh. "He was so nice to me all the time but I didn't want to do anything to get him (mad) and kick me out of the house." (Hodge chuckled when he heard what Fish said about Andy's dad and offered that, "I was kind of scared of Mr. Roddick too." To which Andy replied, "That makes three of us.")

Until he totaled it in a crash on the I-95 during his junior year, Fish drove a white Mustang. Roddick, 21, had a red Blazer. One of Fish's fondest memories is of them running to their cars after school and trying to beat each other home, each taking a different route. Loser had to buy the winner lunch.

They were more than teammates. They were like brothers, at once competitive and close.

Fish laughs recalling how he'd try to rouse Roddick in the morning and Roddick, never one to embrace dawn, would growl like a bear. Roddick, naturally, remembers it slightly differently.

"There was the daily battle in the morning," Roddick said. "I'd get up and stretch in the mornings. I grew really fast and I had some back problems and my dad thought it would be a good idea if I stretched. His whole thing was to treat Mardy just like he would treat any (of his sons). So he'd drag Mardy out of bed at 6 in the morning. He and my dad would have issues about that every morning."

On the court, Roddick and Fish would fight to the quick. Off the court, they'd go to the movies together, on dates together, to concerts together. They did everything together except talk tennis.

"We were around tennis so much," Fish said, "we tended to spend as much time on other things as we could to not get burned out on it."

Fish, No. 18 in the world, and the No. 2-ranked Roddick know each other's games so well, they're like an old doubles team. Each knows where the other is going to put the ball before it leaves his racket.

That familiarity might have bred envy after 2000, when both turned pro and Roddick's world ranking shot from 158 to 14 in the course of a year.

That familiarity could have killed the friendship in 2001, when Roddick cracked the top-15 and Fish was No. 141. A chasm might have developed between them a year later, after Roddick had climbed to No. 10 and Fish still was far back, at 81.

It didn't, of course. Far from resenting Roddick's success, Fish was inspired by it. "I had hit with him so much, I knew I could play with him," Fish said. "So I felt like I could be up there, too. It was just a matter of putting it all together."

As Roddick's success has motivated Fish, so has Fish's success inspired Hodge. "Mardy and I have the same style game and the same style personality," Hodge said. "So for sure, watching him do so well is motivating for me."

Three high school teammates, one shared dream. Two are living it and the third is close enough to test it in the odd Challengers event. It's pretty amazing, when you think about it.

"We always knew what we wanted at that age," Fish said. "It was just a matter of if we were going to get there."

Hodge is confident he'll be with Roddick and Fish on the tour soon. When two of his high school teammates can improbably grace the same U.S. Davis Cup squad, it makes all things suddenly seem possible.

Deboogle!.
04-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Roddick enjoys sharing pressure
Wednesday, April 7, 2004

DELRAY BEACH -- Andy Roddick spent a rare day off Monday sampling from a full menu of sports on television. It gave him a vicarious thrill to watch San Francisco slugger Barry Bonds stroke a game-tying, three-run homer in the eighth inning of a 5-4 opening-day victory for the Giants at Houston.

The home run was the 659th of Bonds' career, which drew him within one of tying Willie Mays for third on the all-time list.

Roddick, one day removed from his 200th career match victory on the ATP Tour, enjoyed watching the at-bat for much the same reason so many tennis fans got a kick out of his 2003 U.S. Open run.

It's awesome to watch great athletes rise to meet great challenges.

"I love kind of watching that, waiting for it and then when it happens it's a really cool experience," Roddick said Tuesday. "In (the Giants) game, they're down 4-1 and there's two men on and Bonds comes up and you're thinking there's a pretty decent shot that he ties it up with one swing and he does it.

"I think when you can expect greatness from people and then watch them and they deliver pretty consistently, that's pretty cool."

This weekend, Roddick, 21, will be expected to summon a great result with the wave of his serving arm. The Boca Raton resident will lead the United States against Sweden in a Davis Cup quarterfinal at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.

Roddick is the marquee name but he feels no added pressure. That's the beauty of Davis Cup competition for him. The pressure is absorbed by four pairs of shoulders -- five if you count those of U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe.

"It's not about me this week," Roddick said. "If we get to three (victories), then I'm happy."

The U.S. team last won the Davis Cup in 1995. The last time the Americans reached the final, in 1997, they were routed 5-0 by Sweden in Goteborg. Jonas Bjorkman, 32, who went 3-0 for the Swedes in singles and doubles in that final, is back this week to try to "whack" -- as he so memorably put it Monday -- the U.S. one more time.

Roddick obviously has other ideas.

"I think we're on track (to win the Cup). It's just a matter of getting it done," Roddick said.

He watched the television coverage of the 1997 final. "I don't remember it too fondly," said Roddick, who was 15 at the time. "I don't think many people were expecting us to get shut out, that's for sure."

Roddick will play singles this weekend along with Mardy Fish, a former teammate at Boca Prep. In 1999, when they were high school juniors, did they ever talk about such a scenario maybe someday coming to pass?

"I don't really remember talking about it," Roddick said. "The thing we joked about, it wasn't just me and Mardy but a couple of other (Boca Prep) guys, too, is we should all take full scholarships to, like, Montana State and go win a championship.

"I was trying to convince them (to go to) Nebraska and Mardy was trying to convince us (to go to) Minnesota. But I don't remember us ever talking about something this big."

Deboogle!.
04-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Andy Roddick Transcript

4/7/04 12:38 PM

April 6, 2004

Q; How do you feel today?
A; I feel fine. I had a full day to myself yesterday. I’m feeling chipper.

Q; What did you do yesterday?
A: I did a whole lot of nothing. It involved sitting by the pool behind my house and hanging out some friends. That was pretty much it.

Q: Any champagne?
A: No we still have business to take care of this week.

Q: I was reading in the transcript from NASDAQ, there was some reference or something that you were going to made Brad Gilbert do?
A: It’s along the lines of skydiving.

Q: Has he done it?
A: No, but I will let you know when he does.

Q: What stood out from when Mardy lived with you?
A: There was a daily battle in the morning. I would get up and stretch in the morning, because I grew really fast and had a back problem. So my dad thought it was a good idea, his whole idea was treating Mardy just the same way he would treat anybody else living in his house. So he would drag Mardy out of bed at 6:00 in the morning. Him and my dad would have issues with that every morning.

Q: He said he was afraid of your dad?
A: I’m afraid of my dad.

Q: Can you talk about the schedule you have, with this coming right after the NASDAQ. Is it expected a lot of you guys?
A: Yes, but we have been talking about this for years. We have the toughest scheduled of any sport. 10 1/2 month season. Constant travel week after week and there is not a whole not being to try and prevent or correct. It’s just the cards you are dealt. You know what you have to do. We have a lot of say in what we do play. If you really try and go after it and play a significant amount, you are going to be on the court a lot.

Q: In a week like this, that you have three days to get ready. Do you want to have the same practice sessions or do you want to build to a peak by Thursday?
A: It’s seems pretty easy for me having three days. Normally for a Davis Cup tie you are here Saturday and Sunday. I will have a light hit today, probably play some sets tomorrow, and tone it down on Thursday before I have to go Friday.

Q: What did you and Mardy joke about as youngsters?
A: The thing we joke about was taking full scholarships to Montana State and winning a tennis championship. I was trying to convince them of Nebraska and Mardy was trying to convince us of Minnesota. But I don’t remember us talking about something this big.

Q: Mardy didn’t have anything nice to say about your basketball skills.
A: I got so tight when it was a game it was a joke. One on one I was fine I can handle most people. I got up off the bench I stoned a couple. He’s definitely not lying. He’s good. He doesn’t like to do any of the dirty work. He likes sitting outside and spotting up and making shots. I go in and try to get rebounds and do some of the little stuff. He is definitely not off. There is a reason I’m playing tennis right now.

Q: Can Mardy dunk?
A: I don’t think he can dunk.

Q: Can he jump?
A: I don’t know it’s been a long time since we played basketball.

Q: Is there one thing about the Davis Cup that you would like to change maybe the scheduling?
A: There is a lot of stuff you can look at. Some of the Spanish guys and Australian guys have said if you win the Davis Cup you have two months before you start again. I don’t know if it would be more crucial or more exciting if you played it every two years or you played two matches in the first year and the final in the second year. There is definitely a reason it’s done the way it is. I’m sure they have big board meeting and they look at a lot more scenarios than I can think of on the spot.

There is a lot of different ways to look at it. When I was a tennis fan, I was an intense tennis fan so it was easy for me to follow it. As for the casual sports fan I’m not sure, I have never been in that position.

Q: Were you surprised that Joachim Johansson is not here because of injury?
A: It was surprising, but at the same time it’s good for us but not for the fact that he is a good player. But now we know who the exact four guys are going to be. The boys can prepare better for doubles and it’s not so much a guessing game its just one more option that got taken away from them.

Q: Do you think Thomas Johansson will play with Bjorkman?
A: I don’t know I guess they were practicing together yesterday. The thing about the Swedish team is that they have interchangeable parts. They are probably testing it out as well. I’m fairly confident that they don’t have their minds made up either.

Q: If you were on Dave Letterman, and had to come up with to 10 reasons you like the Davis Cup?
Just name a couple?
A: I love the team atmosphere, its obviously up there. I love going through this process with people. I love being around. If we do get to the pinnacle one day it would be great to share it with those guys.

Q: Do you feel Patrick McEnroe’s passion for Davis Cup?
A: He has become very hands on, he just doesn’t show up in a shirt and tie. He is involved week in and week out. He keeps contact with the player through out the year. He knows about all of the younger players coming up. He has taken not only the role of Davis Cup captain but wants to be hands on in every way even through out the year.

Q: Have you seen Donald Young play?
A: I have not seen him play but I heard he is pretty nasty. I meet him in Connecticut but I haven’t hit with him or see him yet.

Q: Think he’ll get a chance to hit with the Davis Cup team soon?
A: He’s 14 so it might be a little young still. I’m sure he will definitely get that opportunity. My first time was when I was 17 with the 2000 team with Agassi and Sampras and Johnny Mac was the captain, O’Brien and Palmer.

Q: What kind of impact did that have?
A: It was awesome. I was already a little further along than some of the younger guys we had as our practice partners. I actually played Agassi two weeks before at the NASDAQ. It was amazing to actually sit there and listen to some of the locker room conversations these guys were having. I don’t know if I said three words that week. I was so tight. It was definitely a cool experience.

Q: Are you guys on track to win the Davis Cup soon?
A: I think we are on track, it’s just a matter of getting it done. I think there a lot of more things of getting on track than; obviously winning is the ultimate goal. Were on track as far as having committed players who are ready to play. Consistency within the team, all for one attitude, people aren’t getting pissed off if they are not selected.

Q: Do you see this as a great showcase for you in your hometown?
A: It’s not about me this week, that’s the whole part about the Davis Cup, it s about the team this week. If we get to three points than I’m happy if I win matches or lose matches.

Q: What’s your thoughts on Davis Cup fans getting loud and crazy?
A: I’m all for it, I always have been fans going nuts. I don’t want fans coming in and sitting on their hand that’s for sure. Even Sunday at the NASDAQ there was a huge Argentine contingent. They weren’t for me, but I can sit back an appreciate it. That’s an awesome atmosphere to play in, either way. The Davis Cup really promotes that kind of cheering, so it’s going to fun.

Q: If the USA wins and Argentina wins, what would be your thoughts on possibly playing Argentina in Argentina?
A: It will be very though to play against Argentina, my guess is that we will play on clay. I just hope we get there. We have a lot of tennis to play before we get there.

J. Corwin
04-07-2004, 07:31 PM
nice articles as usual

andyroxmysox12191
04-07-2004, 08:59 PM
love the article with mardy and andy and the hodge guy. :)

Deboogle!.
04-07-2004, 11:38 PM
U.S. vs. Sweden Davis Cup Quarterfinals: Preview
Sweden at USA

Site: Delray Beach Tennis Center, Delray Beach, Florida, USA
Surface: Hard (Plexipave) - Outdoors
Ball Type: Wilson US Open Extra Duty High Visibility Felt

by Greg Laub, USTA.com

The journey to recapture the Davis Cup continues for U.S. Captain Patrick McEnroe and his talented young Davis Cup team.

With a trip to the 2004 Davis Cup semifinals on the line, the United States will take on Sweden this weekend at the Delray Beach Tennis Center. It will be the 11th time the two nations have played since they first met back in 1946, with the U.S. winning seven of the previous 10 meetings. However, it was the Swedes who came away victorious in the most recent tie, when they beat the U.S. in the 1997 Final in Gothenburg.

That was the last time the U.S. has reached the Davis Cup Final, and the six-year drought – their longest stretch in 70 years – has Captain McEnroe’s team hungry for revenge.
The 2004 Davis Cup quarterfinal marks the 255th tie in the illustrious history of the United States since competition began at the Longwood Cricket Club in 1900. Overall, the United States has a record of 196-58 in Davis Cup play and an incredible 102-14 mark when playing at home.

Head-to-Head History

While the U.S. has won seven of the 10 ties over Sweden, it really is much less lopsided than that, especially in more recent years. Following five straight wins by the U.S., the Swedes have actually won three of the last five ties.
In 1946, 1951 and 1954, the U.S. dominated Sweden, winning 5-0 in all three ties (all Finals), and then continued to get past Sweden with 3-2 victories in 1978 and 1982. But then in the 1984 Final in Gothenburg, Stefan Edberg and Wilander surprised a strong U.S. team that was led by Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe and coached by Arthur Ashe. Connors’ loss to Wilander was the last Davis Cup match Jimmy would play.

Eight years later, in 1992, the U.S. managed to avenge that loss with a semifinal win in Minneapolis, as newcomers Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi joined John McEnroe and Jim Courier in the assault on a Wilander-less Swedish team. The Americans went on to win their second-to-last title that year against Switzerland.

The Swedes answered back with some revenge of their own, taking out the U.S. in the 1994 semifinals, even after the U.S. had built a 2-0 lead after day one. A doubles loss followed by an injury to Sampras and a loss by Todd Martin in the last rubber gave Stefan Edberg and Magnus Larsson a trip to the Final, which they won over Russia.

The very next year was a repeat of 1992 and 1994, this time with the U.S. beating Sweden in the semifinals and going on to win the Final, with the Russians losing a second straight year. That marked the 32nd – and last – Davis Cup crown the U.S. has won in their prestigious history.
The U.S. wouldn’t reach another Final again until they lost to Sweden in 1997 in Gothenburg, and they haven’t reached one since. Meanwhile, after their 1995 loss to the U.S., Sweden pulled together to reach the Final in 1996 and won back-to-back titles in 1997 and 1998.

Since 1998, Sweden hasn’t reached the Finals either, and this is the first time the two nations have faced each other since that 1997 meeting.

The Match-up

This year looks to be a closer contest than it appears on paper. While the U.S. does boast the world’s No. 3 singles player and the world’s best doubles team, Sweden has quite a talented team themselves, even with Joachim Johansson pulling out with a strained shoulder and back.
Wilander was going to go with the team of Bjorkman-Johansson in doubles, fresh off an upset over Todd Woodbridge and Mark Woodforde in their first-round Davis Cup win against Australia. But now he may replace Johansson with another Johansson -- Thomas (no relation).

He’ll also have to choose between Enqvist, Bjorkman and the rookie Soderling for singles. While Enqvist has had recent success against Roddick, he hasn't beaten Fish in two tries. Soderling and Bjorkman are 0-1 against Fish (now you know why McEnroe picked Mardy for this round), and while Bjorkman has beaten Roddick this year, he has lost three of five overall, including a loss to Andy last last week in the third round of the Nasdaq-100 Open. Not to mention that he is also slated to play doubles on Saturday.

"They're all open," Wilander said. "There's so much that can happen. I don't fancy telling anyone early. The matchups don't matter. It's a very even match."

"Mats has a lot of options,” McEnroe added. “I'm going with our two best guns. If we play our best, we have a pretty good shot."

McEnroe tried to increase his team’s chances by picking the Plexicave court surface – a slow, hard court, which should allow Roddick more time to set up his dominating forehand.

"We feel like it's our best surface,” McEnroe said. “It should be the way we want it to be. For the Swedes, it's probably their favorite surface, as well."

The draws will be announced on Thursday.

The Big Guns

Roddick

Roddick will be focal point No. 1 of this tie, being that he is the highest-ranked player by far in the arena, as well as the fact that he grew up in nearby Boca Raton. Another reason is that his Davis Cup challengers could very well be an opponent or two who have played well against the red-hot world No. 3.
The 2003 US Open champion is 26-5 this season, and two of those losses have been straight-set exits. Ironically, both players who beat Andy in straight sets are on the Swedish squad (Enqvist in the quarterfinals at Memphis, and Bjorkman in the second round at Doha). But Roddick was injured in Memphis, and that tournament wasn't the same as Davis Cup competition.

“It's a huge goal of mine to help our team win Davis Cup,'' Roddick said last Sunday after winning the Nasdaq-100 Open. "I mean, I've been a fan ever since I went to a tie when I was younger. So it's definitely a priority in my tennis life, that's for sure.''

McEnroe said he hopes this round of Davis Cup is as exciting for Roddick as the first one against Austria was, when he broke the world record for the fastest serve ever. McEnroe gave Roddick a day off from the media on Monday, and Andy gave his own press conference on Tuesday to make up for it.

"He's fine. He's obviously just tired,'' McEnroe said. "We're extremely lucky that he's as committed as he is to Davis Cup. He gets very, very excited about playing. He gets along with all of us very well. And he loves the team atmosphere and the team format. He was born with that, or certainly his parents instilled that in him when he was a kid.''

Sweden’s captain doesn’t give much credence to Roddick’s world ranking.

"The fact they have one of the better players in the world I don't think scares us that much,'' Wilander said. "In Davis Cup, it's just one match.''

"You have to get that 10,000-mph serve back,'' Enqvist said. "If you do that, then you have a chance.''

Wilander, who retired before Roddick turned pro, said he has his own way of not losing to Roddick: “I made sure I was born in 1964.”

Bryan Brothers

The other focal point will be the No. 1 tandem in doubles, Mike and Bob Bryan. They are 2-0 in Davis Cup competition and won their first Grand Slam doubles crown at the 2003 French Open and 16 other titles together.
Last week they took home the ATP award for best doubles team, and that voting obviously didn’t include this year’s record, which is remarkable. They are 27-5 with three titles in five finals appearances so far this season.

Conclusion

With Roddick playing twice and the Bryan brothers once, that means the Swedes must find a way to force at least one loss of those three while still beating Fish twice. Being that Fish has a 4-0 record against the entire Swedish team (3-0 in the last year), both tasks look daunting. If Sweden doesn't steal one of the matches on Friday, they will face elimination against the Bryan brothers on Saturday and could very easily be playing out the string on Sunday. That has to be their motivation, and they have to look at Friday as a must-split day.

Knowing this, McEnroe is best suited to play Roddick first, to put the pressure on. Then the first match will have Sweden thinking that they have to either beat Roddick or pin all their hopes on the second match. Both are probably too much pressure, but like Wilander said, in Davis Cup, there's so much that can happen.

star
04-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Mats is so droll. “I made sure I was born in 1964.”

J. Corwin
04-08-2004, 12:37 AM
interesting analysis :)

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 04:49 AM
Not about Andy. but it's so nice to see how much these guys love Davis Cup.
-----

American twins are the doubles standard at Davis Cup

By Charles Bricker
Staff Writer
Posted April 8 2004

DELRAY BEACH -- That was the day, proclaimed Wayne Bryan, that his twins had the words "Davis Cup" tattooed on their foreheads for life.

Bob and Mike Bryan were 12 years old and had sneaked into a couple of front-row seats at the Davis Cup tie between the United States and Mexico at the La Costa Resort near San Diego on Feb. 3, 1990.

Rick Leach and Jim Pugh were walking down the aisle to get to the court, where they would win their first-ever Davis Cup doubles match, when they spotted the kids.

Leach, who knew Wayne Bryan and recognized his precocious children, stopped and said, "Hi guys. Been playing any tournaments?"

"We told him we had just won in Long Beach," recalled Mike, and Leach thrilled them by telling them that, hey, he'd won that tournament, too.

Wham! It was like Willie Mays or Larry Bird stopping to give an autograph to a kid who right there decided he was going to make the major leagues or play in the NBA, no matter what.

Maybe the kids who got Mays' or Bird's signature on a ball or jersey didn't come close to the big leagues, but the Bryan twins, now No. 1 in the rankings, reached for the stars and grabbed one.

And when they walk onto the Delray Beach Tennis Center stadium court Saturday to play against Sweden, it will mark the first time in 13 years that the same two men have played Davis Cup doubles for the United States in three consecutive ties.

Stability and consistency. That's what Bob and Mike Bryan have brought to captain Patrick McEnroe's squad, as well as the potential to take their places among John McEnroe-Peter Fleming, Stan Smith-Bob Lutz and Ken Flach-Robbie Seguso -- the best doubles teams in U.S. tennis history.

The United States had gone through a long dry spell of doubles failure in Davis Cup and on the ATP Tour before the Bryan brothers hit the high plateau last June by winning the French Open. From 1996 through 2002, the United States won only four of 16 Davis Cup doubles matches while using 13 different combinations of players. That was all going to change.

"The French probably clinched it for us," said Bob. But for a couple of years before that they had let their love of Davis Cup drive them to distraction.

"In 2001, we were the No. 2 American team, and we thought we had a good shot at it," said Mike. A good shot perhaps, but not a good enough shot. Patrick McEnroe had just succeeded his brother as captain, and he was still cautious about the twins.

So, said Bob, "We kind of let Davis Cup go. We thought, `Screw it.' We wanted it so badly that it's doing us no good to think about it." Added Mike: "We were putting too much pressure on ourselves to have to win that one match that we thought we needed to get on Davis Cup."

As it turned out, that one match was a victory over Paul Haarhuis and Yevgeny Kafelnikov in the French Open final. McEnroe plugged them into the tie against Slovenia three months later, on the road, and they whacked Dominik Hrbaty and Karol Beck in straight sets.

"I remember telling Patrick as we went onto the court how we had waited 25 years for this," said Mike. "It was definitely one of those special moments. I had goose bumps and so much energy to release.

"Normally, we'd have about a half-hour workout before the match, but we were out there more than an hour, running around. We were so pumped up that on match point I started cramping. If we hadn't won that match in three sets ... "

For the Bryans, Davis Cup and tour doubles was symbiotic. The better they played on tour, the better they played for the country, and vice versa. They ended the 2003 season with a 53-21 record and tied with each other at No. 2 in the individual doubles rankings behind Max Mirnyi of Belarus.

Bob had won $633,000 and Mike $593,000 without any significant singles results. They also had won four other doubles titles in addition to the French.

Meanwhile, their Davis Cup play got even better. In the first round against Austria in February, they defeated Jurgen Melzer and Julian Knowle. After two ties, they had played six sets without a loss.

"We're at a point where we feel we can win any match we play now," says Bob. "We have the confidence of being No. 1 in the world." And for the first time in at least seven years, the Davis Cup singles players believe they can all but bank the doubles point, which relieves a lot of pressure on the men who play the opening singles on Friday.

The Bryans' play is marked by extreme aggression. They're not on court to be patient. "When Bob starts to go down, I get on him. And he gets on me," says Mike. "We're going to keep going for our shots."

They play a variety of formations and probably will throw a lot of I-formation at the Swedes if Jonas Bjorkman gets into one of his service return grooves.

They're easy to identify with rackets in their hands. Bob is the lefty, Mike the righty. And it's not too tough off the court, either. Bob wears a beaded necklace, and Mike has a mole on his face.

Bob ... beads. Mike ... mole. Bryans ... pretty good doubles.

J. Corwin
04-08-2004, 05:29 AM
lol i'm likin the alliteration!!

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 01:55 PM
look at this group of hot men :lick:

minus PMac of course ;)

Carito_90
04-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Oh gosh.. that's pure hottness! lol

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Anyone else think Mardy looks older with his laugh lines and stuff? The other three all have such baby faces LOL

tangerine_dream
04-08-2004, 05:02 PM
GREAT picture! thanks for posting that bunk :bowdown: :lol:

I don't care if Mardy's face looks older than the others, at least his hair is down and he's not sporting that awful Beckham 'do! ;)

And hurray! :banana: Andy's hair is getting to a great length now, his ears don't stick out as much. :rolls:

andyroxmysox12191
04-08-2004, 05:06 PM
:drool:'s over every guy in that pic cept PMac. is it me or does it look like andy has bags under his eyes? and his hair looks highlighted to me...is this my lack of sleep talking or does anyone else see it?

Havok
04-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Andy's always had bags under his eyes, i think he should sleep more:scared: and the highlights, that could very well be the lighting in the pic

tangerine_dream
04-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Andy always has bags under his eyes! Poor kid doesn't get enough sleep. And I agree with :rocker2:, I think the highlights in his hair are from the camera lights. (looks good, though). :yeah:

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Here is the draw. I think it's good for Andy to play second, in case Mardy loses and it's a must-win match for the US. I can't imagine Andy losing to Enqvist twice in a row

The draw is as follows:
Friday
Mardy FISH (USA) v Jonas BJORKMAN (SWE)
Andy RODDICK (USA) v Thomas ENQVIST (SWE)

Saturday
Mike BRYAN/Bob BRYAN (USA) v Jonas BJORKMAN/Thomas JOHANSSON (SWE)

Sunday
Andy RODDICK (USA) v Jonas BJORKMAN (SWE)
Mardy FISH (USA) v Thomas ENQVIST (SWE)

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 05:39 PM
The Palm Beach Post has great DC coverage!!

10 reasons to love the Davis Cup

Thursday, April 8, 2004

10. 142 participating nations, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe.

9. Competition founded by Dwight Davis to facilitate "a common understanding, a broad tolerance of others' viewpoints (and) mutual goodwill."

8. Richard Norris Williams survives sinking of the Titanic, buoys U.S. Davis Cup team 14 months later.

7. Players win rubbers (slang for matches).

6. Pete Sampras collapsing with leg cramps seconds after closing out Andrei Chesnokov in 1995.

5. Sweden's bikini-clad fans.

4. America's Netheads.

3. Doubles matter.

2. Josh Owen singing the national anthem.

1. Yankee Doodle Andy Roddick. (starts singing... I'mmm a yankee doodle roddick...lalalalalaaaaaaa)

----------

Davis Cup players

Thursday, April 8, 2004

SWEDEN

TEAM SWEDEN

THE CAPTAIN

Mats Wilander

Residence: Hialey, Idaho

As a player: Won 33 singles titles, including seven Grand Slams... Captured three of the four majors (Australian, French, U.S.)... At 17, upset Guillermo Vilas to win the '82 French... Won three Davis Cup titles with Sweden, compiling a 36-14 record in singles and 7-2 in doubles.

Off the court: Plays the guitar in his studio at home. "I play a lot of pop rock music," he said. Wilander also golfs, skis, plays hockey and occasionally pulls out the racket for Senior Tour events.

THE PLAYERS

Jonas Bjorkman

Residence: Monte Carlo, Monaco

Ht.: 6-0 Wt.: 183

Career: Member of Swedish Cup team since '94... One of five active players who have ranked in the Top 10 in singles and doubles in his career... Has won Australian Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open doubles titles... Reached No. 4 in singles and No. 1 in doubles (with Todd Woodbridge) in 2001.

Cup fact: Only player off either team who played in the '97 Sweden-U.S. match, won 5-0 by Sweden.

Off the court: Avid hockey fan. He also plays squash as an alternative to tennis practice. "I still feel I get the same workout," he said.

Robin Soderling

Residence: Gothenberg, Sweden

Ht.: 6-3 Wt.: 180

Career: Turned pro three years ago, but already has earned more than $250,000... Best ranking was in November, No. 59, a jump of more than 100 places... Reached third round in his Wimbledon debut last summer.

Cup fact: This is his first year on the Swedish team.

Off the court: Speaks three languages -- Swedish, English and German. Plays table tennis and lists Gladiator as his favorite movie.

Thomas Enqvist

Ht.: 6-3 Wt.: 195

Career: Has 19 career singles titles... Last year finished outside the Top 50 for the first time since '94... Reached the quarterfinals at Wimbledon in 2001.

Cup fact: Led Swedes to the title in 2001.

Off the court: Fan of the Philadelphia Flyers.

Thomas Johansson

Ht.: 5-11 Wt.: 165

Career: Won 2002 Australian Open to become first Swede to win Grand Slam singles title since Stefan Edberg won the '92 U.S. Open... Tour player since '94, but missed all of last year after knee surgery... Won 46 matches in 2001 and finished No. 14 in '02.

Cup fact: He's 8-7-- 8-5 in singles -- in seven ties.

Off the court: Lists U2 and REM as favorite bands. If not for tennis, would have pursued a medical career.

TEAM USA

U.S.A.

THE CAPTAIN

Patrick McEnroe

Residence: New York City

As a player: Led Stanford to NCAA titles in '86, '88... Played nine years on ATP Tour, winning one singles title... Reached semifinal of '91 Australian Open and quarterfinals of '95 U.S. Open... Won 16 doubles titles, including '89 French Open with Jim Grabb... Played in Davis Cup three year ('93-'94, '96).

Off the court: Commentator on ESPN and CBS. Fan of New York's Rangers and Islanders.

THE PLAYERS

Andy Roddick

Residence: Boca Raton/Austin, Texas

Ht.: 6-2 Wt.: 197

Career: Won last year's U.S. Open in his third season on tour... Became the youngest American (21 years, 2 months) and second overall (Lleyton Hewitt, 20 years, 8 months) to finish a year No. 1... Reached Australian Open semifinals in '03... Won last week's Nasdaq-100 singles final... Has recorded a record 150 mph serve.

Cup fact: Made debut in 2001 and went 3-0.

Off the court: Selected sexiest athlete by People magazine in 2003. Hosted Saturday Night Live in November. Fan of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Mardy Fish

Residence: Tampa

Ht.: 6-2 Wt.: 180

Career: Finished 2003, his fourth year on tour, at No. 20... Won his first title and reached three other finals... Surpassed $1 million in career earnings.

Cup fact: Had a key win over Slovakia's Karol Kucera to lead the U.S. to a 3-2 team win. Has a 2-3 career Cup record.

Off the court: Teammate of Andy Roddick at Boca Prep, and he lived with the Roddicks in 1999. Was labeled the best 2-year-old tennis player in the world by a Minnesota TV station.

Bob Bryan

Residence: Camarillo, Calif.

Ht.: 6-4 Wt.: 193

Career: Ranked No. 1 in doubles with his twin brother, Mike... Duo won five doubles titles last year, including French Open... In singles, advanced to first ATP semifinals and finished No. 200.

Cup fact: Bryan brothers made debut last year, winning in straight sets vs. Slovakia.

Off the court: Bob is two minutes younger than Mike. Threw out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium while playing in the U.S. Open.

Mike Bryan

Residence: Camarillo, Calif.

Ht.: 6-3 Wt.: 185

Career: Played two years with brother Bob at Stanford, winning two NCAA team titles ('97, '98)... Brothers were 53-21 in doubles last year... Brothers won more than 100 junior doubles titles.

Cup fact: Doubles win over Slovakia was the difference in 3-2 win.

Off the court: Plays drums in a band with his brother, who plays keyboard. At Stanford, the Bryans became friends with Chelsea Clinton, daughter of former President Bill Clinton.

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 05:45 PM
some piccies!

Love this one!
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040408/i/r3177950576.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040408/i/r1185634302.jpg

aww I wanna know the joke lol
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040408/i/r1329876906.jpg

Neely
04-08-2004, 05:49 PM
wow, that building made of sand is really creative... I'm shocked... that's really great :eek:
any info who made this??

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 05:50 PM
dang, how many press conferences do these guys do? LOL!!
-----
RANDY WALKER: Questions, please.

Q. Patrick, can you analyze the draw for us.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, I mean, no real surprise. I think, obviously, for Bjorkman to play singles and come play doubles and maybe play a third match in a row is asking him a lot. But he's got a lot of experience, obviously; he's done it before. He's very fit.
So we're happy. I mean, as I said all week, it's just about us getting ready and us being ready to play well. If we play well, I like our chances.
Both guys have had great practices and look extremely confident. So I never get too worried about one way or another what the draw is going to be. You can analyze it until you're blue in the face. The bottom line is we need to win three matches to win the tie.

Q. Mardy, you had to wait around in Bratislava, and you came out very tense for the first set after Andy had lost. Do you like leading off?

MARDY FISH: I think I would prefer to, yeah. I think I would prefer to kind of take the pressure off Andy and put us up 1-0. That's obviously the goal.
So, yeah, I mean, I did come out a little nervous there. But that was a big match in a big situation - same as this. I think I've learned from that, and hopefully I can do better in the first set.

Q. Mardy, how do you feel your game matches up with Bjorkman's?

MARDY FISH: I think we play pretty similar. He's got a great backhand, and he comes to the net really well, moves well. He's a tough player to play. He can do a lot of everything.
But, you know, I mean, I think it's just one of those matches where you're going to kind of have to maybe feel it out in the beginning and see what happens, maybe change a few things here and there.
But we'll see obviously what happens.

Q. Mardy, these courts are quite slow. You've got Jonas Bjorkman trying to get to the net as much as possible. Do these courts give you a longer look at a passing shot?

MARDY FISH: They definitely do. But my game, I'm trying to get to the net as well.
I think we'll try to both make it into a faster-court-type game. I'm definitely going to try to do that. I'm sure his game is altered towards that, as well.
Like I said before, we'll definitely try to feel each other out in the beginning and see how we're going to play on the court and see what happens.

Q. Andy, can you talk about the challenges that Enqvist presents for you.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, Thomas is obviously a very tough player. He's been a Top 10 player for many, many years. He's very good at dictating play. He takes his game to you. He's going to come out, and he's going to rip the ball, that's for sure. Obviously, I have to find a way to kind of maybe attack him before he gets the upper hand. You know, I think that's going to be the tone for the match.

Q. Patrick, what is harder for you: Sitting in the stands and watching these guys during their Davis Cup matches, or sitting in the seats watching your wife in a Broadway play?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: I sit on the court during the matches, by the way (smiling).
It's exciting, both of them. It's very similar in a way. There's a lot of pressure in both.
But watching these guys play, I feel like I go through every point with them and am really there in that sense, mentally, with them throughout the match.
So it's a tremendous thrill both ways. But, obviously, being here, this is where I want to be this weekend; I can tell you that.

Q. Andy you were flat in Bratislava after winning the US Open. Now you've just won another big championship on Sunday. Do you know how to guard against that?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it was a little different scenario. I mean, I travelled across the world and played on a different surface after playing a couple matches last summer, as opposed to this, where I drove an hour up the road and I'm still playing on the same surface.
So I don't see many similarities there, but, you know, I'm going to come out firing tomorrow. I didn't really ever think about that being an issue for me.

Q. Andy, are you noticing any bigger kick on your second serve on these courts as opposed to NASDAQ last week?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, definitely. These courts definitely grab the ball a little bit more. The ball doesn't come through as fast; therefore, it accentuates spin a little bit more. I think the kick spin's getting up on everybody's serve a little bit more.

Q. That's good for you, wouldn't you say?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it's good for me (smiling).

Q. For the Bryans, talk about what it's like watching the first day. Are you hoping for a sweep where you guys can be decisive?

BOB BRYAN: We would like to clinch the match like we did in Connecticut, makes our job a little bit easier when we know we're up 2-0.
But, yeah, we're gonna be rooting for those guys. If it's hot, maybe we'll watch one of the matches and go inside and just get a massage and get ready for the next day.
But we're looking for these guys to do the job and then to clinch it on Saturday.

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 05:51 PM
wow, that building made of sand is really creative... I'm shocked... that's really great :eek:
any info who made this??

Yea, very pretty huh!? no clue who made it, they probably hired a team :)

Neely
04-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Yea, very pretty huh!? no clue who made it, they probably hired a team :)
yes, I think that's really an awesome idea to take this as a foreground for a team picture!

Aleksa's Laydee
04-08-2004, 06:03 PM
some piccies!

Love this one!
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040408/i/r3177950576.jpg

aww I wanna know the joke lol
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040408/i/r1329876906.jpg

:eek: where did you get these pics from? are there any more of mardy :angel: :D

andyroxmysox12191
04-08-2004, 06:15 PM
LOVE THE PICS DEB!!!!!! :lick: did you get them from the davis cup site?

tangerine_dream
04-08-2004, 06:29 PM
More great pics, love 'em! That sand castle one is really nice! I'll bet those guys were afraid if they touched it, it would fall down. :lol:

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 06:51 PM
No, that's all the pics, there was one more with just the Bryans but that's it. They're from Reuters

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 07:29 PM
some more piccies

andyroxmysox12191
04-08-2004, 07:42 PM
couldnt PMac have put his hands behind him...it makes him stand out. lol. nice pics though :)

J. Corwin
04-08-2004, 07:52 PM
cool pics!

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Couldn't PMac have just stayed out of the pics completely? ;)

Havok
04-08-2004, 08:15 PM
*smacks Andy across the head*
those grey sokcs:scared: what are we 75 years old:retard:

andyroxmysox12191
04-08-2004, 08:18 PM
naldo, that is exactly what i thought when i saw that. *shakes head at andy's sense of style* what would you say if he wore pink socks with that? ;)

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 08:20 PM

LOL I was going to say something, but I just KNEW you were going to so I :tape:

He should have worn blue socks..... durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Andy is :silly:

Havok
04-08-2004, 08:21 PM
dark blue, or black perhaps. but grandpa style grey socks:tape:

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 08:22 PM
i knooooooooow.... *shakes head at Andy and wags finger* shame on you boy!! I bet Mardy had better color socks on :p

tangerine_dream
04-08-2004, 08:32 PM

:haha: The Queer Eye guys have nothing on our Naldo!

"OK Andy, here's our game plan, you and the twins hold Mardy down while I chop off that greasy ponytail!"

star
04-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Andy likes to go out of his way to appear "casual" but he just looks poorly dressed.

What's with the tie being loosened when everyone else is nice and neat?

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Does he like to go out of his way.... or does he just have NO CLUE!?!?! :haha:

Mabe he doesn't know how to tie it right??? :rolls:

star
04-08-2004, 08:48 PM
It's tied correctly... but he's just done the whole tie loosening shirt unbuttoning thing.

I'm not really into the boy/man thing.

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 08:49 PM
But he's 21... he IS a boy/man!!! :haha:

star
04-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Time to start being a man.

star
04-08-2004, 08:50 PM
I mean.... he's going to be 22 in a few months.

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 08:52 PM
star......please think about what you are talking about.... you're talking about a member of the male gender here. telling him to be a man???? Good one!!! You should take up stand-up comedy!! ;)

star
04-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Nope. I don't think of men that way. :)

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 08:57 PM
you haven't talked to many 21/22 yr old men lately have you ;) The fact that they got those guys into suits at all is a stupendous feat in itself!!!!!!!! :crazy:

star
04-08-2004, 09:01 PM
There are two guys here who are about 24. One's a man and one's a boy.

Of course, one has two children. That grew him up.

And like most parents, I don't find a "but everybody does it" argument convincing. :)

Havok
04-08-2004, 09:03 PM
:scratch:

star
04-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Oh Naldo. You are such a MAN. :)

andyroxmysox12191
04-08-2004, 09:23 PM
:lol: any other men around here ;)

Havok
04-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Oh Naldo. You are such a MAN. :)
no i meant :scratch: towards your post above my post of the ":scratch:"

star
04-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Yeah. I know.

tangerine_dream
04-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Maybe it's just me but I don't classify a 21-year-old as being a "man" yet. :)

J. Corwin
04-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I think it depends on how the guy carries himself.

tangerine_dream
04-08-2004, 09:49 PM
In that case, I would say right now that Andy is caught in that awkward transition of Some-Days-I-Feel-Like-a-Man-Some-Days-I-Don't mode. ;)

The Americans take longer to grow up anyways, IMO.

Deboogle!.
04-08-2004, 09:51 PM
I agree tangy

But about Americans... I dunno lol. Italian men live at home til they get married!!!!

star
04-08-2004, 11:13 PM
I think it depends on how the guy carries himself.

Bingo

:kiss:

Deboogle!.
04-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Fish: Roddick's one of the guys
By Cynthia Faulkner
ESPN.com

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. -- Andre Agassi competed in Davis Cup with Pete Sampras, Michael Chang and Jim Courier, yet Agassi says this U.S. Davis Cup team has something they never experienced.

"I came along in a generation where me, Chang, Courier, Pete, we're fighting for No. 1 in the world," Agassi said during the Nasdaq-100 Open. "I think that got in the way of us having the fellowship that we really could have shared -- the enjoyment we could have shared."

The current Davis Cup team is a rotating group of young guns who are picked by captain Patrick McEnroe for each tie based on ranking, who's on a hot streak, the surface (which the host country selects), and record against the potential opponent.

Andy Roddick, currently the No. 2 player in the world behind Switzerland's Roger Federer, leads the list of singles players, followed by No. 18 Mardy Fish, No. 36 Taylor Dent, No. 41 James Blake and No. 43 Robby Ginepri. They're all between the ages of 21 and 24. Then throw into the mix the No. 1 doubles players in the world with 26-year-old twin brothers Mike and Bob Bryan.

"You look at these guys and you just go, 'These are guys that share a lot off the court as well as on the court,' and, you know, that's something that I respect and admire," Agassi said. "So I pull hard for them."

This weekend, the United States plays host to Sweden on a slowed hard court in Delray Beach. Fish, who won the ATP Tour tournament here last year and is undefeated against anyone on the Swedish team, drew the leadoff spot on Friday afternoon against Jonas Bjorkman; Roddick follows, playing Thomas Enqvist. The Bryan brothers play doubles Saturday, with Fish and Roddick, if necessary, playing reverse singles on Sunday.

There was some speculation about a fifth spot on this weekend's team going to the third-highest ranked American, Vince Spadea, who is 29 and from Boca Raton, Fla. Spadea recently rebuilt his ranking from a low in the 200s to No. 23 in the world. Spadea, who has never played a live Davis Cup rubber, might find himself on the team if his streak continues and he raises his ranking further, although McEnroe does not have to follow rank.

Roddick and Fish also grew up just a few miles from Delray Beach. Fish lived with Roddick's family as both attended Boca Prep in Boca Raton, Fla. They used to "race" to the school, trying to discover the fastest route, with Fish in his Mustang and Roddick in his Blazer. The loser would supposedly buy lunch, although Fish said it rarely happened.

"We could have really driven together, but we didn't want to do that," Fish said.

McEnroe used the already cemented foundation of friendship to build this team. Under his leadership, the players began watching each other's matches outside of Davis Cup, offering encouragement. Roddick became the first to break out, but Fish said you can't tell he's one of the top players in the world when he's with them.

"He throws everything away," Fish said. "You know you throw all of his tournament wins and U.S. Open titles out and he's just your friend and your teammate for that week. He's awesome. It's no different for him or James or Taylor or anyone else. He hits better than anyone else, and it's all a team. It's the same for the Bryan Brothers."

Roddick said McEnroe makes a year-round effort to be there with the players, supporting them outside of Davis Cup, as well.

"Watching these guys play," McEnroe said, "I feel like I go through every point with them and am really there in that sense, mentally, with them throughout the match."

Roddick said he doesn't think even if the young Americans began to compete more for the top spots in tennis that it will affect the friendship between them. But he emphasized that the previous generation did their job: They won Davis Cup.

"I think it will be a lot more special for us if we ever do get there, knowing we did it kind of with our buddies," Roddick said. "That will be a fun time, if we ever get there."

"We all came up sort of separately," Agassi said of his generation. "I think that didn't lend for a lot of understanding between each other along the way.

"But I think with this group of guys, it's different. I think they've counted on each other; they help each other. So they're sort of accomplishing these things together in a sense. I think that would stand the test of time and competition."

star
04-09-2004, 01:10 AM
I feel like I read that already.

Deboogle!.
04-09-2004, 01:13 AM
Well it's sort of rehashed quotes that have been in a lot of other articles :)

J. Corwin
04-09-2004, 01:45 AM
But it's about who puts them together the best. :)

Deboogle!.
04-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Well here are a couple articles with some original stuff in them. Man I just love these S. Florida papers! and LMFAO @ Karen Crouse calling Andy "Yankee Doodle Andy" consistently now :rolls:

----
Like a good buddy movie
BY MICHELLE KAUFMAN
Miami Herald

Riiiinnnngggg. It's a spring afternoon in 1999. School's out at Boca Prep High. Andy Roddick hops into his Chevy Blazer. Mardy Fish slides into his Ford Mustang. Ready, set, go! Whoever gets to the Roddick residence first wins. Loser buys lunch the next day.

Roddick weaves his way through Glades Avenue. Fish opts for Palmetto Park. It's a daily ritual. Somehow, they manage to avoid speeding tickets. Inevitably, they reach the driveway within two minutes of each other. And then they laugh. Like brothers. Like best friends, punching each other's arms as they enter the house.

''We could have easily driven to school together, but this way was more fun,'' Fish said.

Fish was living with Roddick's family at the time, the two boys skyrocketing through the junior tennis circuit. Fish had moved from Vero Beach to train with Roddick's coach, Stanford Boster, whose stable also included Bo Hodge, and David and Chris Martin, all of whom went on to college tennis success.

Their practice sessions on the courts at Boster's townhouse complex were as intense as anything going on at the more famous Nick Bollettieri Academy in Bradenton. The boys pushed each other -- sometimes to the point of exchanging blows -- and dreamed of turning pro.

Never in their wildest dreams, though, would Roddick and Fish have predicted that five years later they would be ranked No. 2 and No. 18 in the world and playing for the U.S. Davis Cup team in a quarterfinal tie against Sweden at the Delray Beach Tennis Center: Fish plays Jonas Bjorkman today at 2 p.m., and Roddick follows against Thomas Enqvist.

SEPARATE PATHS

''I don't remember us ever talking about something this big,'' Roddick said. ``The thing we joked about -- not just me and Mardy but a couple of the other guys, too -- was we should all take full scholarships to, like, Montana State and go win a national championship.''

Said Fish: ``We talked more about movies and dates than we did about tennis. Of course, we dreamed about turning pro, but we didn't really think this far ahead. No way would I have thought Andy would reach No. 1 and I'd be top 20 this soon. It's amazing, really.''

Hodge, a senior All-American at the University of Georgia, remains close to Roddick and Fish. He follows their careers through television, the newspaper and the Internet. And, he admits, he sometimes regrets not following their path.

'Of course I say, `What if?' But at the time, I felt college was the right choice for me,'' Hodge said. ``Still, I'm happy two of the five of us made it. I feel like the hard work we all put in those years helped Andy and Mardy, so we had some part in their success. I've won a national title and got an education, but their bank accounts are a little bigger than mine right now.''

While Roddick and Fish play against Sweden this weekend, Hodge will be in Knoxville, playing against the University of Tennessee. If the U.S. team has not clinched by the end of Saturday's doubles match, Hodge said he will fly down Sunday morning and catch the final matches.

''It doesn't really surprise me that Andy is where he is because, as competitive as we all were, Andy was the most competitive,'' Hodge said. ``He really, really hated to lose. He was very intense, in your face, just like he is now. None of us wanted to go to school. We talked about winning Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, being like Pete [Sampras] and Andre [Agassi].''

BASKETBALL BOND

The five boys attended Boca Prep, and when they had time, they would suit up for the school's basketball team. They played about a dozen games together.

''Andy sat on the bench a lot,'' Fish said. ``When he got in, he missed layups.''

Roddick sheepishly admits Fish's recollection is accurate.

''I got so tight when I got in a game, it was a joke,'' Roddick said. ``One on one, I was fine. I could handle most people. Right up off the bench, I'd stone a couple. It's the reason I'm playing tennis right now.''

The one time the five boys competed for the school tennis team, they beat then-state No. 1 Cardinal Gibbons 7-0.

When Roddick and Fish weren't battling on the tennis or basketball court, they engaged in marathon Ping-Pong matches at the Roddick home. They also fought over the sports page, Jerry Roddick's tacos and Blanche Roddick's potato side dish.

''Every morning, I'd put two sports pages on the table, and we put cable in the kitchen so the boys could watch ESPN while they got ready for school,'' Blanche Roddick, Andy's mother, said. 'But my most vivid memory of that year was the boys fighting over my `rock potatoes.' That was Andy's favorite dish, and Mardy came to love it, too. So, when I made it, I'd have to make one 9-by-11 pan for Andy and Mardy and another one for the rest of the family.''

Her other recollection is of the training sessions with Boster. She would watch her son battle the other four teens and wonder what would become of them.

''You could just tell there was so much talent out there,'' she said. ``It was great for Andy to practice against kids that good, and they all got better because of it. But the nicest part is that they are all still so close -- no jealousy. They all support each other and are proud of each other, and I know when I see Andy and Mardy out there during the national anthem, I'll get goose bumps and bawl my eyes out.''

Deboogle!.
04-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Roddick shows his patriotism
Thursday, April 8, 2004

A blind date was the beginning of Andy Roddick's love affair with the Davis Cup. It was 1992 and Roddick was four months past his ninth birthday.

His mother, acting as the go-between, arranged for tickets to the final between the U.S. and Switzerland at the Tarrant County Convention Center in Fort Worth, Texas. Something -- call it motherly intuition -- told her it would be an agreeable match.

"I wanted to get him to it," Blanche Roddick says now, "because he enjoyed tennis so much."

Roddick's oldest brother, Lawrence, went along as a chaperone. The brothers had a blast, literally.

The Switzerland fans in the sold-out arena came with their cowbells. They made such a racket the first day, the Roddicks were moved to take drastic measures. They struck out that night in search of air horns, finally locating two at a bicycle shop.

The next day the Dream Team of tennis would hear the Roddicks blare, in decibels so loud it raised everybody's neck hairs.

"My brother was on one side of the stadium and I was on the other side of the stadium and we were having air horn wars," Andy Roddick remembers. "It was a trip."

Jim Courier, then the world No. 1, held down the top singles spot for the U.S. that week. He was floored two weeks ago when Roddick told him he and his brother had been the air horn guys.

"I certainly remember the air horns," Courier says. "I could not believe that was him. That was the huge rally that got back at the Swiss fans, who were making a lot of noise. I think it's pretty comical that it was him. I love it. You get a lot of insight into Andy's patriotism right there."

The 1992 U.S. squad didn't have to toot its collective horn. Anybody -- especially a wide-eyed 9-year-old -- could see there was something extraordinary about a team in which a 21-year-old Pete Sampras and a 33-year-old John McEnroe -- in his final Davis Cup appearance as a player -- were relegated to doubles duty. Andre Agassi joined Courier in singles for the U.S., which defeated the Swiss 3-1 (the last match was canceled).

"It was weird, seeing Andre on the sidelines cheering for Jim and Pete and Johnny Mac playing together," Roddick remembers. "I just loved it. It had to be the best Davis Cup team of all time. You hear about the Davis Cup and you watch it on TV, but it's definitely not the same as being there. I saw them win and watched Andre run around (in a victory lap) with the flag afterward and they were playing Proud to be an American and all that stuff. It's just been with me ever since."

Nothing was quite like that weekend. It was the Woodstock of the U.S. Davis Cups. "All the elements came together just right," Courier recalls. "The scene, the fans, the players. It was the loudest crowd and the best atmosphere that I've ever been in."

Teen meets his idols

In a child's fertile mind, a dream took root that weekend that would bloom eight years later. In 2000, Roddick was invited to be a practice partner for the U.S. squad that took on the Czech Republic at the Forum in L.A.

Roddick, then 17, remembers being in awe of his proximity to Sampras, Agassi and the doubles team of Alex O'Brien and Jared Palmer. "It was amazing to be able to sit there and listen to these guys have locker-room conversations," Roddick says. "I don't know if I said three words that week, I was so tight. It was definitely a cool experience."

The following year, in Switzerland of all places, Yankee Doodle Andy would make his Davis Cup debut. He was named to the U.S. team that played a first-round match in Basel in February of 2001.

Imagine that, Roddick making his Davis Cup debut against the same country he first had watched the U.S. vanquish. Disney couldn't have written the script better. "I didn't see it as ironic," Roddick says. "More like a strange coincidence."

Patrick McEnroe, the new U.S. captain, remembers the week well. "My first memory was when we had our first practice," he says. "We had all flown in from the States. Everyone had taken real long trips to get there.

"We went out to have an easy hit... just to get over the flight, everyone just trying to relax, and Andy comes out just hitting rockets, serving 140 mph on his first serve."

McEnroe sees the 'future'

Courier, who was an assistant coach on that team, says, "Andy was just jumping out of his skin. He was bouncing around and telling Patrick how much he loved being there."

The U.S. team lost three of its first four matches. Roddick's first match as a U.S. team member didn't officially count. He beat George Bastl 6-3, 6-4 in a dead rubber.

"There was a disappointment, obviously, in losing in the first round," McEnroe says. "But I'll never forget saying to one of our staff guys as soon as Andy won his match, 'We've got a future and this is the guy we can build around.'"

Roddick's impassioned courtship of Davis Cup is a refreshing love match. It's the tennis equivalent of the big man on campus going out with the smartest girl in his class.

Sampras, who gushed in Fort Worth about a dynasty being launched, would soon dump Davis Cup, citing incompatible schedules. Agassi, too, would end up going in a different direction.

'Cool' Cup with Sampras

In 2002, Sampras had a change of heart. He joined Roddick in the singles competition for the first two rounds, against Slovakia at Oklahoma City and against Spain in a semifinal at Houston.

In the latter, Sampras lost to Alex Corretja in the first match. It would be his Davis Cup swan song. In a fitting tribute, Roddick then took the court at the Westside Tennis Club and conjured up images of Sampras in his prime. He dropped only two points on his serve in the first set on his way to a three-set victory against Tommy Robredo that jump-started the U.S.'s 3-1 victory.

"It was cool that I got to play with Pete," Roddick says. "We weren't planning on it being his last time."

Roddick is 10-3 in Davis Cup play. Yankee Doodle Andy will try to add to his resplendent Davis Cup record this weekend in Delray Beach, just up the road from Boca Raton where his family settled shortly after that indelible Davis Cup match in Fort Worth.

Who knows? Maybe some parent, acting on a hunch, will set up his or her son with Davis Cup tickets, and, in the stands of the Delray Beach Tennis Center, a new Davis Cup crush develops?

It could happen. If Roddick doesn't make you fall in love with Davis Cup, you're missing the jingoist gene.

"Andy loves the atmosphere," Patrick McEnroe says. "He loves the big moment. He loves his teammates. I think he relishes the responsibility that he knows he has."

After all this time, the Davis Cup is still the one for Roddick. There's a glint in his eye when he says, "It's the most fun weeks of the year."

Deboogle!.
04-09-2004, 01:35 PM
U.S. vs Sweden: Day One Preview
By Greg Laub, USTA.com

Singles A: Mardy Fish (USA) vs. Jonas Bjorkman (SWE)

Captain Patrick McEnroe will send Mardy Fish out to take on Jonas Bjorkman in the opening Davis Cup match Friday between the United States and Sweden.

Fish, who has reached five tournament finals in just over a year, unfortunately did not enjoy the same success in last year’s Davis Cup play.

Coming off a 2002 debut in which he and partner James Blake helped the U.S. sweep Slovakia in the first round, he was given the nod to play singles in 2003 against Crotia in the first round. Leading things off, Mardy blew an early first set lead, and eventually fell in straight sets to Ivan Ljubicic. After James Blake leveled the tie at one apiece, he joined Mardy in doubles again, only to lose this time and ultimately get eliminated in the first round of World Group play, just the eighth time the U.S. has done so in their long Davis Cup history.

"If anything, I would say in my eyes Mardy Fish would be the guy who is the most green out there out of the singles players,” Swedish captain Mats Wilander said. “I think it's possibly a little disadvantage to go out first and play the first match if you haven't played too many Davis Cup matches."

While Mardy did exact some revenge in the playoff late last year, with a key win over Karol Kucera (to level a Roddick loss), Patrick McEnroe still has to be at least somewhat uneasy about him facing the veteran Bjorkman to lead off this critical first day.

Bjorkman, who is the lone holdover from the last time these two nations played back in 1997, will be playing in his 27th Davis Cup tie. He has a 33-14 career record, and most recently helped lead the Swedes to an upset of defending champion Australia in February.

And just as he did back when Sweden beat the U.S. in Gothrnburg for the ’97 crown, Bjorkman will again play three matches – two singles and doubles, with former Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson.

In their only meeting last year at Nottingham, Fish did defeat Bjorkman. However, that was on grass, and his lone Davis Cup win last year was on clay. P-Mac had to be hoping to get Fish up against Enqvist on the first day, as Fish has won both matches he played against Enqvist – both on hardcourts.
However, McEnroe says he never gets too concerned with the schedule, adding that Fish leading off actually takes the pressure off Roddick.

Wilander thinks the first match can set the tone.

"I think it is an advantage for us for Jonas Bjorkman to play the first singles,” Wilander added. “He has to play the doubles on Saturday, (but) I don't think the rest time is a big problem.”

"Mardy is pretty new to this," Wilander said. "Jonas is not."

Singles B: Andy Roddick (USA) vs. Thomas Enqvist (SWE)

In another case where the reverse singles is the better match-up for the Americans, Roddick will take on Enqvist in the second rubber. Roddick has lost two of the three matches against Enqvist, while he has won three of five against his likely opponent Bjorkman on Sunday.

Roddick is fresh off a title at the Nasdaq-100 Open, and with his two wins in February against Austria he increased his overall Davis Cup record to 10-3. He is also 7-0 on hardcourts in Davis Cup play, and this particular soft hardcourt suits Andy’s style perfectly.

However, in Enqvist he runs into a recent nemisis. Following his two first round wins against Austria and a title in San Jose the following week, Roddick was suddenly dropped in straight sets to Enqvist in the Memphis quarterfinals, something that has to have the world No. 3 thinking just little bit Friday afternoon. Especially if his country is down 1-0.

But Roddick will likely make good use of the home-court advantage (he grew up a few miles from the arena), and feel the energy of the crowd, as he did to some extent back in September at the US Open in New York, and again in front of a large U.S. crowd in Connecticut in February. When he feels that energy, his serve seems to pick up a few MPHs.

"I know what I need to do to have a chance to beat him," Enqvist said. "I will just try and get his serve back. If you can do that, you have a chance to stay with him in the rally."

"Thomas is obviously a very tough player," Roddick replied. "He's been a Top 10 player for many, many years. He's very good at dictating play. He takes his game to you. Obviously, I have to find a way to kind of maybe attack him before he gets the upper hand. You know, I think that's going to be the tone for the match."

andyroxmysox12191
04-09-2004, 03:26 PM
love the articles deb! :kiss:

Deboogle!.
04-09-2004, 04:35 PM
:) Glad you liked them.... here's another!!

Roddick brings refreshing attitude to Davis Cup
By RAY McNULTY
April 9, 2004

It's inconvenient.

It's disjointed.

It's not as appealing as the game's four Grand Slam championships.

But that's no excuse for the shabby way the Davis Cup too often gets treated by America's best tennis players.

Pete Sampras, for all his greatness, didn't play enough.

Jimmy Connors, who did for tennis what Arnold Palmer did for golf, should've played more.

And while Andre Agassi has served for his country more than most of our top guns, he has done so only when it suited his needs.

Fact is, there have been too many years when the United States, unable to convince its marquee players to travel to some unfriendly venue, was forced to put its B team on the court.

Which is high on the list of reasons we haven't won the Cup since 1995.

"You need great players to be in this," said Patrick McEnroe, captain of the U.S. team that will face Sweden in this weekend's quarterfinal at the Delray Beach (Fla.) Tennis Center.

You need great players to commit themselves to this.

You need great players such as McEnroe's brother, John, who throughout his career made Davis Cup his top tennis priority and took tremendous pride in playing for the United States.

You need great players like Andy Roddick, who has picked up the Star Spangled Banner and is determined to bring the Cup back where it belongs.

"I think we're on track," said Roddick, ranked No. 2 in the world. "It's just a matter of getting it done. . . . Obviously, winning is the ultimate goal. But we're on track, as far as having committed players who are ready to play and consistency within the team and the all-for-one attitude.

"People aren't getting (ticked) off when they aren't selected to play. There's no griping within the team. We're back on track, as far as that goes. Now we have to translate that into victories."

Agassi hasn't played since 2000 and won't play against the Swedes. And although he's ranked No. 5 and is a proven Davis Cup competitor, the Americans might be better off without him.

Roddick and his childhood buddy, 18th-ranked Mardy Fish, will play singles. The Bryan brothers, Bob and Mike, will play doubles. And there is a genuine team feeling, a shared sense of purpose, a camaraderie necessary to win four best-of-five-bouts matches across 10 months at different sites.

"We've got the No. 1 doubles team in the world, the No. 2 singles player, another top-20 singles player and a lot of other guys who can step in," McEnroe said, adding, "We've set the stage where, for the next number of years, we're going to be in the hunt every year. That was my goal as captain."

Certainly, McEnroe has set the tone.

"He's become very hands-on," Roddick said. "He doesn't just show up at the ties. He's involved week in and week out. He keeps in contact with the players throughout the year, not just when it's time for Davis Cup." The key, though, is Roddick.

He is America's best young player, maybe it's next Connors or Sampras or Agassi. And he has deemed Davis Cup is important.

The rest of the pack will follow.

"I love the team aspect of it," Roddick said. "I love going through this process with people I really enjoy being around. If we do get to the pinnacle, it would be really cool to share it with those guys." Davis Cup offers a unique opportunity for team play in an otherwise individual sport.

It also provides a rare chance to play for your country.

So when asked this week why he chooses to play Davis Cup, Roddick was puzzled.

"Why wouldn't you play?" he replied.

tangerine_dream
04-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Another analysis, this one from Sky Sports.

DAVIS CUP:*

USA 1/5 v Sweden 3/1
Fish 4/6 v Bjorkman 11/10
Roddick 1/8 v Enqvist 9/2

United States v Sweden*
Davis Cup*World Group Quarter-Final
Friday, Sky Sports Extra 7pm
Saturday, Sky Sports 2 10pm
Sunday, Sky Sports 2 10pm

In the first round of the Davis Cup, the United States whitewashed Austria in front of the Sky Sports cameras but you can be sure they won't find it quite so easy against Sweden this weekend.

Like the Americans, the Swedes are brimming with confidence after their convincing 4-1 victory over defending champions Australia in Adelaide in February and they genuinely believe that they can pull off another upset.

And they have been given an extra lift by the Americans' decision to play on a slow hard court, which is a surface they*relish playing on.

I must admit, I am a little surprised at the choice because, if they had elected a red or green clay court, it would have given the Americans a significant advantage. None of the Swedish team enjoys playing on clay whereas Andy Roddick has won the odd tournament on the surface and they could have kept specialist, Robby Ginepri - who player against Austria - in the team.

However, the American captain Patrick McEnroe says*hard court is the surface his team are best on too. He will have had discussions with his players before making the choice and obviously has faith that they can triumph.

And you can see why he has such belief in his young team. The combination of Andy Roddick, Mardy Fish and the Bryan brothers is strong in all areas and look like a complete package.

There were a few eyebrows raised when Fish and not Vince Spadea was brought into the team. Spadea has been on a fantastic run winning 11 of his last 12 matches and when he was defeated it was by his compatriot Roddick in the semi-finals of the Miami Masters.

But McEnroe has a vision for developing a young Davis Cup team and Fish fits the bill for that perfectly. He is in the top 20 in the world rankings and has been playing some good tennis. Fish has a very big serve and is very good at getting around the court.*

And in Roddick, they have a man in form. The former world number one added another Masters title to his trophy cabinet in Miami last month, and played some of his best tennis in the process.

While the Americans go in to the tie at full strength, Mats Wilander's Sweden team have been hit by the withdrawal, through injury, of Joachim Johansson.

Johnasson is a good doubles player and he will be missed. His namesake, Thomas Johansson has been drafted into the team, but he is on his way back from injury and it remains to be seen what part, if any, he will play.

Thomas Enqvist, Jonas Bjorkman and Robin Soderling should play the single rubbers for Sweden and Bjorkland, in particular, is more than capable of winning his rubber.

The veteran Swede has had victories over Roddick in the past, including in Qatar this year, and he a fantastic returner, which makes for interesting viewing when he comes up against one of the games biggest servers.

This is the Davis Cup and anything could happen, but all things considered, I think it is advantage USA, although it could come down to the final rubber.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 03:06 AM
Andy..... :worship: for your win over Enqvist. But let's not have such horrible first sets again ok!!?!!????????????

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 03:12 AM
Well! After Fish was so kind to bend over for Bjorkman (nice going MARDY! :smash: ), Andy evened it out by destroying Enqvist in straight sets 64 75 62. See Mardy? That's how it's done. :o

And bunk, didn't I tell you that Mardy's loss would fire Andy up? You silly worrywart. ;) :devil:

Now ... how much you guys wanna bet that ESPN will pre-empt the doubles match tomorrow and air the Roddick/Enqvist match in its place? ;)

Not that *I* would complain. :angel:

Here's Mali Vali's take on the Fish match. What do you all think about his blaming the surface for Fish's performance? I think the surface was the least of Mardy's problems tonight. :p

Slow surface hurt Fish

By MaliVai Washington
Special to ESPN.com

DELRAY BEACH -- U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe wanted a slow court for this quarterfinal tie that would allow Andy Roddick to really take advantage of his kick-serve. Even though Roddick might be better on a slower court, his serve is so big it would be successful on any surface -- even if it were faster.

The same cannot be said for Mardy Fish, who lost the opening match 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5 to Jonas Bjorkman of Sweden. Fish prefers a faster court and would have been more successful on one.

Typically putting a positive spin on things, when Fish was drawn to play first, he said he was happy about it. When I was playing Davis Cup -- always the No. 2 guy on the team -- I wanted to play the second match to allow the No. 1 guy to get the win and take a little bit of the pressure off me. Fish and Roddick didn't have a choice, but it would have been better if Roddick had been drawn first.

Still, one wonders whether the slowness of this hard court is working in the favor of the Americans or Swedes. Right now, it's not helping the United States.

This surface changed both players' game plans. After the match, Bjorkman said he and Fish play more aggressive games, but the pace of this court didn't allow them to come to the net and put points away.

Setting aside the draw and the court's pace, if you look at the first match, it came down to the experience of Bjorkman. Neither man played his best tennis, but it was Bjorkman who was able to calm his nerves after losing the first set.

Fish served for the first set and at a crucial point, the linesperson did a poor job at being decisive with his call. He said something and then put his hand down signaling that the ball was good. A two- or three-minute delay ensued as Bjorkman and Mats Wilander talked with the chair umpire Carlos Ramos and referee Alan Mills. That was a poor job of control by the chair umpire because he needs to get the match going again, and quickly.

Once Bjorkman lost that return game and first set, it was impressive how he used his experience to put it behind him and come out smoking in the next two sets to win them 6-3, 6-2.

Fish, on the other hand, showed his nerves. That's expected. It's rare to see a Davis Cup match where both players are at the top of their games. It's similar to how Super Bowl games often show the tight nerves of the players. You have to be able to control your nerves as well as the emotion and energy you're getting from the crowd.

It remains to be seen how Roddick will handle the court. One positive for the Americans might be that such a fast-paced court plays into the strength of the Bryan Brothers, who play doubles on Saturday. They like a slow court, if not a clay court, because they feel like they can work the points better.
---------

Here's pics from Andy and Mardy's matches. Tell me: based on body language alone, who would you guess was the winner and who was the loser? :lol:

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040409/i/r807640346.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040410/i/r4288876116.jpg

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 03:17 AM
LOL well in all fairness to Mardy, there are pics of him all pumped up looking too lol. AND a couple pics of pissed off Andy lol

Andy started out quite horribly tangy, you missed it.

Everyone said the surface did not at all favor Mardy. It doesn't favor Andy either, but because Andy relies on kick serves and he also likes to take big swings at the ball, the extra high bounce and stuff actually helps him. That's why I'm so perplexed that they did not make this a faster court. I said that even before the tie, so yeah.

But still, I agree, the surface was the least of Mardy's problems. His problems are ALL mental. I just don't think the surface HELPED any lol

Now, Mike and Bob go out there and take care of business ok?!

Havok
04-10-2004, 03:18 AM
Even though Roddick might be better on a slower court, his serve is so big it would be successful on any surface -- even if it were faster.

well NO SHIT Mal:rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 03:20 AM
It's Mal Naldo..... LOL

Carito_90
04-10-2004, 03:26 AM
Omg that andy pic.. all sweaty... so sexy!

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 03:26 AM
Andy started out quite horribly tangy, you missed it

I saw that (on the DC site) but I don't get concerned by bad first sets; the players are mostly shaking off nerves, finding their rhythm, and feeling out their opponent (and audience) the first few games anyways.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 03:30 AM
you never came back to us on AIM :sad:

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 03:34 AM
Oh I'm sorry, bunk. :hug: I went to the store, bought dinner, came home and cooked it for us, and then settled in with hubby doing boring married couple stuff. :) Andy's match ended faster than I'd anticipated (after Mardy's six hour nightmare it seemed very short, lol ).

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 03:35 AM
Omg that andy pic.. all sweaty... so sexy!

so salty! Mmm :lick:

MisterQ
04-10-2004, 03:37 AM
so salty! Mmm :lick:

You need to lay off the sodium, tangy. ;)

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Roddick Tops Enqvist in Davis Cup Matchup

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. - When the U.S. Davis Cup team needed a comeback, Andy Roddick came through.

Roddick beat Thomas Enqvist 6-4, 7-5, 6-2 Friday night, leaving the United States and Sweden tied 1-all at the end of a long opening day in their best-of-five quarterfinal.

American Mardy Fish lost the first match to Jonas Bjorkman, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5. Counting four rain delays that totaled more than three hours, the two matches took nearly nine hours to complete.

Bjorkman must bounce back quickly for his doubles match Saturday with Thomas Johansson against top-ranked Bob and Mike Bryan.

"Hopefully, I tired him a lot for the doubles," Fish said.

Roddick mixed slice backhands and loopy forehands with his usual assortment of overpowering strokes to keep Enqvist off balance. By the third set, the normally stoic Swede was so frustrated that he launched a ball skyward and received a code violation.

"At first I just wanted to play my game," Roddick said. "I was hitting well, but he was hitting better. So I thought I'd mix it up a little bit, then try to get back into my normal game, and that ended up working for me."

Roddick twice lost serve early, falling behind 2-1 and 4-3. But he held the rest of the match and took each of the first two sets with a service break in the final game, thanks largely to unforced errors by Enqvist.

When Roddick won the long final rally to close out the victory, he punched the sky, shook hands with Enqvist and traded high-fives with Fish, watching from the first row.

The mood for the Delray Beach matches was festive, with air horns, ThunderStix and chants creating a typically noisy Davis Cup atmosphere.

The crowd included Dwight Davis II, grandson of Davis Cup founder Dwight Davis, and 92-year-old Sidney Wood of Palm Beach, the oldest living former U.S. Davis Cup player. Also on hand were more than two dozen friends and relatives of Fish and Roddick, who attended high school together in nearby Boca Raton.

"I would look up and see faces I've known since I was 10 years old," Roddick said. "It's a good groove playing at home."

Fish failed to make much of the homecourt advantage against Bjorkman, who improved to 34-14 in Davis Cup singles and doubles, including 6-0 against Americans. The 32-year-old Swede drew on his experience against Fish, 22, playing just his fourth Davis Cup singles match.

"He gives you constant pressure with his ability to do everything — volley, stay back," Fish said. "I tried to mix it up, because that's what he's doing to me."

Bjorkman shrugged off a disputed call on the next-to-last point in his opening set. He dominated at the net and returned better as the match progressed, despite 19 aces by Fish.

"I managed to adjust from what he did in the beginning," Bjorkman said. "He was really teeing off, and I was having a hard time getting into my game. I'm really happy with the way I turned it around."

Fish broke Bjorkman in the first game and hitting four aces to win the second. But beginning with the second set, Fish was broken four times during a stretch of eight service games.

The American's first double fault gave Bjorkman an opening early in the second set, and the Swede broke for the first time to lead 2-0.

Another Fish double fault led to a break for Bjorkman that put him ahead to stay at 2-1 in the third set. Fish's groundstrokes became more erratic, and he converted just three of 12 break-point chances.

"I had my chances," Fish said. "I took advantage of some of them."

heya
04-10-2004, 03:51 AM
I'm relieved to find out that Andy has a painfree back and a good stomach. :devil:
This ain't Memphis, Scottsdale or Doha! :angel:

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 03:56 AM
ooh, bunk I like your new av very much! :yeah:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 03:56 AM
LOL Nope, it's not :woohoo:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 03:57 AM
ooh, bunk I like your new av very much! :yeah:

aw thanks :) Me too! I love the look in his eyes as he looks at the flag. It's perfect! if I could think of anything short and catchy to write on it, I'd beg you to do it, but this one might sort of just speak for itself :)

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 03:59 AM
I was just going to say, that av doesn't really need text .... his expression says it all and the flag frames it very nicely. Good job finding it! :banana:

Carito_90
04-10-2004, 04:01 AM
Yup, as i said before.. awesome av!

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 04:03 AM
aw thankies. It's from the AFP :) Not Getty, though... I just put the little border around it.... my photo editing skills abruptly end there LOL

Um..... andy needs to have his teeth whitened lol

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 04:06 AM
Picture time! :banana:

"Wonder Twin powers! Activate!" ;)

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040410/i/r2467966264.jpg
Andy Roddick (R) of the U.S. celebrates with team captain Patrick McEnroe after winning against Swede Thomas Enqvist in straight sets 6-4, 7-5 and 6-2 at the Davis Cup in Delray Beach, Florida, April 9, 2004. The Davis Cup quarterfinals competition is between the United States and Sweden from today through Sunday.

Oh no! Fire Marshall Bill is upon us! :eek: :bolt:
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040410/i/r2639108392.jpg
Andy Roddick of the U.S. celebrates after winning against Swede Thomas Enqvist in straight sets 6-4, 7-5 and 6-2 at the Davis Cup in Delray Beach, Florida, April 9, 2004. The Davis Cup quarterfinals competition is between the United States and Sweden from today through Sunday.

Whew! No more Fire Marshall Bill! :lol:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040410/capt.fsm11904100321.davis_cup_fsm119.jpg
Andy Roddick, from the United States, smiles after beating Thomas Enqvist, from Sweden, 6-4,7-5,6-2, during the Davis Cup, Friday, April 9, 2004, in Delray Beach, Fla.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040410/i/r2720721269.jpg
Andy Roddick of the U.S. reacts after winning against Swede Thomas Enqvist in straight sets 6-4, 7-5 and 6-2 at the Davis Cup in Delray Beach, Florida, April 9, 2004. The Davis Cup quarterfinals competition is between the United States and Sweden from today through Sunday.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040410/capt.fsm11804100305.davis_cup_fsm118.jpg
Andy Roddick, from the United States, celebrates his 6-4,7-5,6-2, after beating Thomas Enqvist, from Sweden, during the Davis Cup Friday, April 9, 2004, in Delray Beach, Fla.

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 04:09 AM
The border's great bunk. :)

BTW, did anyone notice that the DC site has something called Davis Cup TV? It's supposed to show highlights of various matches within 24 hours? All you have to do it sign up for it, it doesn't cost anything. Has anyone seen it before?

If ESPN doesn't show Andy's match tomorrow, hopefully the site will have some highlights.

Havok
04-10-2004, 04:13 AM
i signed up for it, but had no fuckin clue what i was doing. i singed up for it during the 1st round matches though, a while back:o and i agree, Andy go get your teeth whitened:scared:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 04:20 AM
The border's great bunk. :)

BTW, did anyone notice that the DC site has something called Davis Cup TV? It's supposed to show highlights of various matches within 24 hours? All you have to do it sign up for it, it doesn't cost anything. Has anyone seen it before?

If ESPN doesn't show Andy's match tomorrow, hopefully the site will have some highlights.

I signed up for it in 2003.... but, it's $10 for 2004... so you have to pay to see these highlights unfortunately.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 04:24 AM
Interview w/PMac and Andy
http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/audio/mp3/DC_2871_mp3.MP3

This pic is just scary. :scared:

heya
04-10-2004, 04:27 AM
Alrightttty then

J. Corwin
04-10-2004, 04:30 AM
Now ... how much you guys wanna bet that ESPN will pre-empt the doubles match tomorrow and air the Roddick/Enqvist match in its place? ;)

Not that *I* would complain. :angel:

I doubt it. ;)

They'll probably just show the live doubles, and if that match finishes early, then you can bet on ESPN showing Andy/Thomas match. :cool:

That is what happened in the 1st round too.

Havok
04-10-2004, 04:36 AM
you can watch the 2003 highlights though:D

Carito_90
04-10-2004, 04:37 AM
Gosh those pics were scary.. andy you need to practise in your winnin faces sweetheart!

Deboogle!.
but the doubles coverage is taped this time, not live. It's not on til 10:30pm EDT

I'd love for them to cut both and show a bit of both or something but doubles needs the attention so I wouldn't complain if they only show the twinsies.

heya
Covering the court was too tough a task and ESPN wasted 4 hours again! We'll have a few highlights of Andy's match because the doubles match will take at least 1 1/2 hours.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Roddick Routs Enqvist To Even Davis Cup Quarterfinal
By Tennis Week
04/10/2004

Former roommates Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish are now teammates, but they still have a habit of picking up after each other.

Stepping on the court after Fish fell to Sweden's Jonas Bjorkman in the opening match, Roddick rolled over Thomas Enqvist, 6-4, 7-5, 6-2 to even the Davis Cup quarterfinal between the United States and Sweden, 1-1.

In last September's Davis Cup World Group Qualifying tie, Dominik Hrbaty upset reigning U.S. Open champion Roddick in the opening match, but Fish fought back from a deficit to defeat Karol Kucera, who had beaten Fish in their prior meeting, to even the tie.

Tonight, Roddick repaid Fish with a confident performance. The second-ranked Roddick clearned up the court, slamming 14 aces and converting six of his eight break-point chances against Enqvist, who beat Roddick in straight sets in the Memphis quarterfinals in February.

The winner of Saturday's doubles match will be in command of this best-of-five match tie at the Delray Beach Tennis Center. The world's top-ranked doubles team — twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan — take on Thomas Johansson and Bjorkman in the crucial doubles duel.

Doubles has always been a key component of past U.S. Davis Cup championship teams. The United States owns a 170-19 record when it wins the doubles point of a Davis Cup tie and U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe believes the Bryans' status as the world's top team as well as their familiarity with each other as brothers and their experience playing together on a weekly basis, makes them an invaluable ingredient to this team.

"I feel like having these guys on the team and how good they're playing and what a strong team they are outweighs the other option, which is putting in a team of two singles players in doubles," McEnroe said. "And obviously I had difficulty making a decision couple of years ago, but these guys have elevated their game to where they're the No. 1 doubles team in the world."

MisterQ
04-10-2004, 04:52 AM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040410/i/r2639108392.jpghttp://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/54/039_30399.jpg

so that's where he gets it from...

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 05:09 AM
oh my god.

I'm not speaking to you right now, Q.
-------------

Roddick to the rescue

By Jamey Eisenberg, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Saturday, April 10, 2004

DELRAY BEACH -- The red, white and blue flags were waving. The ThunderStix were banging. The Netheads were leading the chants of, among other things, "USA, USA, USA."

Andy Roddick had the crowd behind him Friday in the second match of the best-of-five Davis Cup quarterfinal between the United States and Sweden at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.

But Roddick also had plenty of pressure facing an 0-1 deficit, and a loss against Thomas Enqvist would have severely hampered the Americans' run at their first Davis Cup title since 1995.

Earlier in the day, Jonas Bjorkman defeated an "inexperienced" Mardy Fish 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5. But Roddick, the No. 2 player in the world and a Boca Raton resident, would not let his country or his hometown crowd down with a 6-4, 7-5, 6-2 victory to even the tie at 1.

"They put us in a position where our backs were against the wall," Roddick said. "I had to go out and win."

Roddick enjoyed the festive atmosphere, and he raised both arms in the air upon clinching the victory. Standing on the sideline to Roddick's left, U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe was all smiles.

McEnroe slept a little easier because of Roddick's victory.

"If you're down 0-1, this is the guy you want coming out to play," McEnroe said.

The U.S. will try for a 2-1 lead today when the doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan faces Bjorkman and Thomas Johansson. Bjorkman will be trying to continue his stellar Davis Cup play, especially coming off his match against Fish.

Bjorkman proved too experienced to let the crowd, nearly three hours of rain delays or losing the first set rattle him against Fish. Bjorkman, 32, was playing in his 27th Davis Cup in 10 years and has seen nearly every situation.

Fish, 22, was playing in his fourth tie and said a lack of experience hurt.

"I don't know whether it was nerves or just inexperience in this type of situation," Fish said. "I didn't really feel like it was an ordinary match. There's just a lot more at stake. It's for your country."

Swedish captain Mats Wilander felt Bjorkman's experience would play a part against Fish, and Wilander was right. The match lasted six hours and two minutes and had four rain delays, but Bjorkman continued to apply pressure.

There was a decent Swedish contingent in the stands, and Bjorkman gave them plenty to celebrate. After clinching the victory, Bjorkman did a little dance as a tribute to one of his favorite comedians.

"It's sort of been my little trademark," Bjorkman said. "It comes only for Davis Cup or winning a title, though."

Bjorkman, who improved his Davis Cup record to 34-14, knew his experience was a difference in the match. Bjorkman, a member of the Swedish team that defeated the U.S. 5-0 in 1997, the last time the teams met, said the crowd was "an unbelievable atmosphere" and not a distraction.

"It always helps when you've been around for a while," Bjorkman said. "I always do perform good in Davis Cup. For me, it's such a great feeling to be part of the Swedish Davis Cup team. Mardy is an upcoming, very talented American player who hasn't played too many. Obviously, that would help."

Fish came out blasting in the first set, and Bjorkman admitted to being surprised. At the end of the set, a linesman overruled his own call, costing Bjorkman a point and eventually the set.

Bjorkman said "it definitely fired me up," and he played much more aggressively in the final three sets.

Bjorkman said his net play and patience helped in the victory. For Fish, he seemed overmatched by a more experienced player.

"I didn't execute as well as I wanted to," Fish said. "It's one of those matches where you know you gave it your all, and you know you didn't play your best tennis. I tried to find every way to make it work and come back there at the end, but he came up with the goods."

Lucky for the U.S., Roddick was there for his team.

"It's a grind," Roddick said. "I'm living and dying every point when I'm watching my teammates. That's the way team competition works."

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 05:11 AM
Poor Mardy.... the bad press is already starting
------
Patience - Fish earning stripes

Saturday, April 10, 2004

DELRAY BEACH -- It's unbelievable how heavy three little letters can be. They stitched a "USA" on Mardy Fish's back and all of the sudden he felt as if he was carrying 293 million people.

Who knew those red and white stripes can feel like bands of steel? Or those stars like crystal paperweights? Fish, playing in his fourth Davis Cup match but his first singles rubber on U.S. soil, was saddled by too much patriotic baggage Friday to play his best tennis against Sweden's Jonas Bjorkman.

The 22-year-old moved around the Delray Beach Tennis Center Stadium court like those were galoshes on his feet instead of sneakers. Actually, galoshes would have come in handy on a day when the rain, like the Swedes, refused to go away.

Fish started out strongly against Bjorkman, but he couldn't finish him off. The 32-year-old Bjorkman, who was appearing in his 27th Davis Cup, had experience, if not the crowd, on his side. He weathered Fish's fast start and then deployed a weapon that not too many 22-year-olds have in their arsenals.

Bjorkman had patience and that made all the difference in his 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5 victory against Fish, a former Boca Prep standout.

The match lasted two hours and 55 minutes but took six hours and two minutes to complete because of four rain delays. When Fish walked off the court and crossed paths with teammate Andy Roddick, who was playing the second singles match, he gave him a high-five and apologized.

No worries, Roddick told him. "I have your back." And he proved as good as his word, defeating Thomas Enqvist 6-4, 7-5, 6-2 to even the tie at 1.

Bjorkman's win proved anew the adage that patience has a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

The fans saw dinner reservations disappear and evening plans vanish, but those who waited out the weather delays got to watch Fish valiantly try to swim upstream, against momentum's tide.

He would fall behind love-40 on his serve four times in the fourth set. He saved one match point while serving at 3-5, with a forehand winner down the line. He would hold in that game and break Bjorkman to draw even at 5.

That jump-started the "U-S-A" chants, which seemed to remind Fish of what was at stake. He won only two of the final 10 points to send Bjorkman into his standing-tree-like victory jig.

"I guess I didn't execute as well as I wanted to," Fish said. "I don't know whether it was nerves or just inexperience in this type of situation. I've been practicing really good all week, hitting the ball great. (It) just didn't really click (Friday)."

Mats Wilander, Sweden's Davis Cup captain, had called it. On Thursday, when the draw was announced, Wilander predicted that the 27th-ranked Bjorkman's experience would neutralize any advantage the 18th-ranked Fish enjoyed.

"You need a player that can take it to (the Americans) mentally," Wilander said Thursday. "Mardy's early in his Davis Cup career. You have to like Jonas' experience in that situation."

Bjorkman went out and proved his captain prophetic by chipping away at Fish's forehand. It's his weakest side and it predictably came apart under pressure. Trying to explain what happened afterward, Fish looked a little shell-shocked.

"I guess it's just there's a lot more at stake," Fish said. "It's not just yourself. It's your teammates. It's the crowd. It's your country. It's just a different atmosphere. It's tough to describe."

The hardcourt surface was supposed to smile on the Americans. But the way the surface swallowed the ball and then spit it out like a loogie, a player needed patience to shape his shots and handle the kick serves that the surface virtually begged players to employ.

That gave the edge to Bjorkman, who had the presence of mind to move Fish around. Having played Davis Cup for so many years, he knew how tiring it can get when you're carrying the expectations of a nation.

"I would say that Mardy... maybe got a little tired and didn't look like he was moving that well," Bjorkman said. "I've been around for 10 years now, playing Davis Cup. Mardy is an upcoming, very talented American player who hasn't played too many. Obviously that would help when you go into a fourth set. Definitely."

Fish was down after the loss, definitely. But it was just tennis. There are Americans losing more than a match in other parts of the world. The USA on their backs is nothing less than a target. Fish would do well to keep that in mind.

===============
===============
Ray McNulty: Nerves, inexperience just too much for Fish
By Ray McNulty sports columnist
April 10, 2004

DELRAY BEACH -- Maybe Mardy Fish will get another chance.

Maybe he'll get one Sunday.

If so, the United States Davis Cup team is in trouble -- and not merely because this weekend's quarterfinal against Sweden would come down to a fifth and deciding match at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.

If Fish gets to play meaningful tennis Sunday, it means something went terribly wrong for his teammates.

It means Andy Roddick lost the second of his two singles matches and that the Bryan brothers -- the world's top-ranked doubles duo -- suffered a stunning, Saturday afternoon upset.

Worse, it means Fish, who grew up in Vero Beach, would need to win the most important match of his tennis life to keep alive the Americans' hopes for bringing home the Davis Cup for the first time since 1995.

And based on what we saw during his 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5 loss to Jonas Bjorkman in Friday's opening bout, putting so much on Fish's racket might be more than he can handle.

"I guess I didn't execute as well as I wanted to," Fish said afterward. "It was one of those matches where you know you gave it your all, and you know you didn't play your best tennis.

"I don't know whether it was nerves or just inexperience in this type of situation."

Clearly, though, it was something.

Fish won a tight first set with help from an inexplicable decision by chair umpire Carlos Ramos, who allowed a linesman to reverse his call after U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe argued. The replay-the-point ruling gave Fish a second shot at serving out the set.

"There were some dodgy calls today . . . very dodgy," Bjorkman said.

And most of them went Fish's way.

But they weren't enough to save Fish from his nerves, from his shaky strokes, from himself.

This was Fish's chance to step forward and make a statement -- to tell the tennis world, in no uncertain terms, that he had separated himself from the pack of young Americans chasing Roddick.

This was Fish's chance to share the stage with a rising superstar and prove he was more than a good opponent.

More important, this was Fish's chance to be part of a 1-2 punch that McEnroe needs to make the United States an annual Cup contender, as was the case when his big brother, John, was carrying the flag.

And he couldn't make it count.

Playing for his country, playing on a team, playing close to home, the moment proved to be too big.

"I guess it's just a lot more at stake," Fish said, suddenly looking and sounding younger than his 22 years despite having played in three previous Davis Cup ties. "I mean, it's not just yourself. It's your teammates. It's the crowd. It's your country. It's just a different atmosphere."

And, apparently, the pressure-packed conditions -- which included four rain delays -- made it difficult for Fish to play his game.

His serve was erratic, resulting in six breaks across the last three sets. His forehand was flying. His usually dependable backhand deserted him.

Bjorkman, meanwhile, was steady.

The 32-year-old Swede was as poised as he was prepared. He is the thinking-man's tennis player, and he used his mind to offset Fish's flash and raise his record to 6-0 against the United States in Davis Cup competition.

"I had my chances," Fish said. "I needed to be more aggressive, and I wasn't."

He was nervous.

Too nervous.

So we can only wonder how he would react to playing a must-win match against Thomas Enqvist on Sunday.

Asking a player of Fish's caliber to beat a lesser-ranked opponent shouldn't be out of the question. Asking him to win a match of such magnitude might be too much to ask.

"I don't really want to go out there and play right this second," Fish said, "but I'll definitely be ready for Sunday."

Those rooting for the United States can only hope it doesn't come to that. (OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

MisterQ
04-10-2004, 05:12 AM
oh my god.

I'm not speaking to you right now, Q.

:sad:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 05:13 AM
USA and Sweden All Square
Not too many would have suggested that after the first day of the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas quarterfinal tie between the United States one of the nations would be leading 2-0. With that in mind it should come as no surprise that the two nations are locked at 1-1 following the two singles matches.

Andy Roddick saved the day for the home side when he rallied from a service break down in the first set against Thomas Enqvist to score a 64 75 62 victory. Earlier in the day Jonas Bjorkman had given the Swedes the first point of the weekend when he defeated Mardy Fish from a set down, 46 63 62 75.

Roddick said it's situations like these that he plays for. To play for his nation and his team mates fills him with pride and to play in front of his hometown crowd made things even more special.

"It's fun being with the team and being with friends and guys I get along with," said Roddick. "But once it starts, it's a grind too. It's three out of five sets. I'm living and dying every point when I'm watching my team mates, so that makes it double. It's a grind once the weekend comes. But these are weeks that I definitely look forward to because I get to spend time with some of my buds as well."

Roddick said he went into the match against Enqvist with the same mindset if it had been 1-0 to the USA. He knows irrespective of what the score is, he has to got to play a match, so the fact that his side was in deficit was not on his mind.

"Obviously they put us in a position where our backs were kind of against the wall," said Roddick. "There's not much you can do except go out there and try to win a tennis match."

He certainly played like a match tough star. He has matches from Indian Wells and Miami, which he won last weekend, under his belt and in the last ten months if he has reached a final he has won that final ... all eight of them.

"I thought one of the big things was I was putting almost every return in play today," said Roddick. "He wasn't going through games without having to play lots of balls. Eventually that wears on someone."

"I've had it happen to me before. You feel it's a matter of time before an error or two slips in there. That's what happened tonight."

Enqvist said he played well the first two sets and he did have chances. He probably even put himself in a position to win one of them, but maybe he made a few too many mistakes and at the same time Roddick lifted his levels.

"He gets a lot of balls back and he was also picking up his serve, his first serve percentage, I felt," said Enqvist. "In the end he was just a little too good."

The crucial doubles rubber on Saturday will have the USA, represented by the world's top ranked team the Bryan twins, Bob and Mike, take on Bjorkman and Thomas Johansson.

J. Corwin
04-10-2004, 09:41 AM
poor Mardy :(

star
04-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Andy did what he needed to do last night.

Nice article on the Davis Cup site.

http://www.daviscup.com/news/matchreport.asp?id=12873

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 02:31 PM
star, looks like you've got a whole lot of new fans of the Swedes this weekend;)

Here's the press conference:
-------

2004 DAVIS CUP QUARTERFINALS
SWEDEN vs. USA
DELRAY BEACH, FLORIDA
April 9, 2004

A. RODDICK/T. Enqvist
6-4, 7-5, 6-2

ANDY RODDICK
CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Andy, did you kind of want to win for Mardy because he won for you back in Slovakia?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, definitely. Right before I went on the court, you know, he gave me a high-five and said "sorry." I said, "You know what, you got my back last time, I'm gonna get your back this time." That's the way team competitions work.

Q. You talk about the Davis Cup and, you know, you talk about the rigors of the regular schedule. There's a different kind of pressure here. In a way, is this kind of a fun outlet for you as opposed to the regular grind?

ANDY RODDICK: Probably during the week it is. It's fun being with the team and being with friends and guys I get along with. But once it starts, you know, it's a grind, too. It's three-out-of-five sets. I'm living and dying every point when I'm watching my teammates, so that's, you know, that makes it double. It's a grind once the weekend comes. But these are weeks I definitely look forward to because I get to spend time with some of my buds as well.

Q. Andy, Mardy had played, obviously, in Davis Cup matches before, but never on US soil. Do you think there's a bit of a difference?

ANDY RODDICK: He played Oklahoma City.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Played doubles.

Q. He talked about feeling nervous and it being different. I was wondering if you can speak to if there is some kind of a difference.

ANDY RODDICK: There's definitely a difference. You know, luckily, I haven't lost at home yet, so I kind of enjoy that. And, you know, it's no secret that I do play my best tennis on US soil, even throughout the year. But I think he's already handled the tough part. He won a big road match on his least favorite surface, so it's definitely just a matter of time before he figures it out on the home soil, too.

Q. Andy, how does your mindset change, if it does at all, when you're down 1-love?

ANDY RODDICK: I try really hard not to think about numbers. You know, regardless of what the score is, I still have to go out there and play my match, you know. I don't know. I mean, I didn't really think about it that much. Obviously, they put us in a position where our backs were kind of against the wall. There's not much you can do except go out there and try to win a tennis match.

Q. Patrick, Mardy had a particularly rough day with his forehand today.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, I think probably what he said to you is he's feeling the pressure a little bit, of playing at home in singles the first time. I think trying to just -- I think the thing that happens if you get a little bit nervous is sometimes your footwork suffers a little bit. I felt like he wasn't as quick with his feet, you know, just setting up for every shot, as he could have been. You know, Mardy's an explosive player. He's just got to find that balance between playing aggressively and playing, you know, with a little bit of margin, as I call it. I think he struggled a little bit with that today Look, Bjorkman is a veteran player. There's a reason the guy's been near the top of the game for as many years as he's been. He knows how to win. He knows how to play. You have to beat him...

ANDY RODDICK: The guy's won 34 Davis Cup matches.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Yeah, and he's played in Davis Cup a lot. So you put all that together, and, you know, you can understand why Mardy struggled a little bit and didn't play his best. But there's no doubt that this will help him down the road.

Q. Andy, no matter what happens tomorrow, you're in position to be the hammer on Sunday. How much do you relish that kind of position?

ANDY RODDICK: Either way, regardless of what happens tomorrow, I mean, my match is huge on Sunday. That's what Davis Cup is about. That's why you sign up to play. It's no fun playing dead rubbers, you want to play for something; that's for sure.

Q. Patrick, how much of a relief is it Andy won and you weren't facing a 0-2 deficit tomorrow?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: It's a lot better (laughter). That's pretty obvious. You know, as I said when I was interviewed just after the match, if you're down 0-1, this is the guy you want coming out. And I think even if you're down 0-2, this is the doubles team you want coming out. Certainly, we have 1-all, I still feel like we're in a real good position with the Bryans coming out to play doubles.

Q. Andy, last couple years, you've matured a lot and changed a lot, probably mentally and your game. How have you matured that allows you to take a guy like Mardy and pick him back up again? What have you learned that has allowed you to pick other people back up?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know if I've come to the place where I can actually advise someone on it. You know, I still have a lot of learning to do myself. With me, it's just, you know, the more you do something, the more comfortable you become doing it. The more big matches you play, you know, the easier it is. That just comes with the territory. You know, there are many great players, you know - Andre and Lendl - who kind of knocked on the door for a while. Once they got the hang of playing big matches and winning big matches, then it became second nature. Luckily for me, I was kind of able to win a couple early on in my career. Hopefully, that will set the tone. But, you know, Mardy just has to do it more. Like Patrick said, he'll learn from this. He's a smart guy. He's got a big game. If anything, this will just motivate him.

Q. A big factor today was how well you played when you had breakpoints against Enqvist. You converted all but two of them.

ANDY RODDICK: I did?

Q. Yeah.

ANDY RODDICK: Okay.

Q. Can you give us a couple remarks on your confidence level.

ANDY RODDICK: Obviously, I played a lot of matches. I think that stat just shows that I'm match tough right now. I have a lot of tough matches under my belt from Palm Springs, from Key Biscayne, and in the last eight, nine months. That's just the way it goes. I thought one of the big things was I was putting almost every return in play today. You know, he wasn't going through games, you know, without having to play lots of balls. You know, eventually, that wears on someone. I've had it happen against me before. You feel like it's a matter of time before, you know, an error or two slips in there. That's kind of what happened tonight.

Q. Patrick, this surface plays well into Andy's kick serve, but wouldn't a slightly faster surface have helped Mardy without really hurting Andy?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: It's a good question. I think that it helps overall our team, overall. Obviously, you have to balance some of those things. You also have to think a little bit about the opposition. But, you know, I think it's a good surface for our doubles guys. But, you know what, you got to line it up, you got to tee it up, and you got to play. And you got to execute no matter what surface it is.

ANDY RODDICK: I know I wasn't asked, but I'm going to say something. I mean, you got to look at where these guys have had success in the past. Enqvist is a great fast court player. Bjorkman is most comfortable on fast courts. As I kind of showed a little bit tonight, they're more comfortable when the ball's in the strike zone and not up. So I think you have to take those factors into consideration as well.

Q. Patrick, if this tie is still alive with Mardy playing on Sunday, he really picked up his aggressiveness after the long rain delay, came in and tried to take Bjorkman's second serve a lot earlier. Can you see that strategy against Enqvist continuing?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, as I said, it's a balance for Mardy. I think he can do both. I think in the long run, I think it's positive for him to step back and rip some, and also to come in. But, yeah, I think that's a big part of his game - to step in, to be aggressive, to take some shots on some second serves. It's a tough surface here to come in off a second serve because it is relatively slow. But in saying that, that's certainly a part of Mardy's game that he probably does well enough that he can at least be more aggressive on some second serves. As I said, it's finding that balance. I mean, Mardy, to me, is just, you know, figuring out more and more how to use his game and use his weapons. Sometimes that can be confusing for a player, because you can do a lot of different things. And, you know, as he said to you guys earlier, you know, when you're a little bit nervous and you're playing a big pressure match, you want to be able to have certain things you can count on in your game that you can go to. I think his go-to is probably being a little more aggressive.

Q. Let me ask you this, Patrick. From the course of time, your experience with Andy, you may have had - not like Brad - but you've had maybe some heart-to-hearts with Andy from time to time. What do you like most about what he does and the way he presents himself on the court and his overall professionalism?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, he's a fighter. He just loves the battle. He loves the competition. He wants to fight, and that's the way he's always been since I've known him, since the first time I saw him in a Davis Cup tie in Switzerland, you know, whether it's playing a baseline game in practice or playing a match or whatever it is. I mean, you can't teach that; you just have that.

Q. How hyper are the Bryan brothers before a match?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: They're hyper before they eat breakfast (laughter).

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Poor Mardy. The body's not even cold and the press is going to task on him. :sad:

star
04-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Jonas cut him up bad.

But that's the main strength of the Swedish team. They've got veterans who can help the youngsters and tell them what they are going to experience and how to combat it. That has to come from the other players, not just the coach.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 04:22 PM
It's quite interesting how all the press is mentioning how the surface really hurt Mardy. It helps Andy and the twins but this is what everyone's saying, because he doesn't use as much kick.

Personally I don't think this had a WHOLE lot to do with it. You could see the difference in Mardy and Andy - Andy thrived on the pressure of the hometown crowd and having everyone he knows there and Mardy cracked - and admitted it.

star
04-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Yup. :baby:

I think Jonas nailed it. Hard to move around the court with that many expectations.

Pat sort of threw Mardy to the wolves to protect Andy from Jonas in the opening match. Pat had to know that Mats would select Jonas to play first.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Well wouldn't Andy/Jonas have to play on Sunday? The two teams' #1 singles players? That meant that Mardy was gonna play Enqvist on Friday, it was just a matter of whether it was first or second, right?

Carito_90
04-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Andy's gonna play Jonas on Sunday (cuz he's already played with Enqvist) and Mardy'll play with Enqvist (same reason, cuz he's already played with Jonas)

it was just a matter of whether it was first or second, right?

Guess so... not sure what u meant tho lol

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Yes, I know... I mean the way the Davis Cup draws work.

the #1 singles players from both countries have to play first on Sunday. That means the #2 players from both countries (Mardy and Enqvist) must play second on Sunday.

Friday is reversed so that meant Mardy would play Jonas and Andy would play Enqvist, and that's what happened.

So what I meant was, the only question beforehand, was who would play first. And that is done randomly, right?

Havok
04-10-2004, 06:11 PM
i think you're able to chose who goes first. i think, though. good thing is, Andy's up first on Sunday, so he can clinch it for the USA. i just dont see the Bryans losing theoir doubles match out there today. and if Andy does end up losing, Mardy is willing and able to beat Enqvist. he's a much better player than Thomas is right now, and should be able to beat him in 4. poor Mardy:hug: but luckily he's out there with his best friends so they're able to pick him up. can you imagine if this was a big event and Mardy was all alone:scared:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Andy will want to clinch the tie... and Jonas could be pretty tired. They might put Robin out there ..... and Andy should eat him alive (Sorry Star)

star
04-10-2004, 06:56 PM
On paper the U.S. should definitely win this one.

But on paper, The Aussies should have won too. :)

Havok
04-10-2004, 07:01 PM
they had Mark Philippoussis. enough said;) it's the reason they lost, sorry to say but its true:o Mark was never a really good player imo

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 07:04 PM
that's true... one of their players tanked both matches.

Then again that could happen to us in Mardy too.

star
04-10-2004, 07:05 PM
they had Mark Philippoussis. enough said;) it's the reason they lost, sorry to say but its true:o Mark was never a really good player imo

Mardy = Mark in this situation.

Where the U.S. has the edge over the Aussies is in the doubles. Sweden will have to play well to beat the Bryans.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 07:07 PM
well they had to play well to beat the Aussies too.

star
04-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Ok.... they will have to play even better to beat the Bryans. How's that. Plus Jonas is missing the partner he had in Australia.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Ok I will give you that :)

The Bryans will always be tough to beat in DC because it means SO much to them. More than Grand Slams, or so they say. Playing DC was their lifelong dream.... they're gonna be like lleyton in DC I feel like, tough (but of course not impossible) to beat.

Havok
04-10-2004, 08:08 PM
ok, in this situation, MArdy sort of resembles Mark, but Mardy is the MUCH better player imo:D

J. Corwin
04-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Bryans have to win...or else. ;)

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 08:16 PM
well they opened with a break..... against them :o

Havok
04-10-2004, 08:19 PM
and there goes deb, worrying already:scared:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 08:20 PM
not worrying, they broke back to love :) hopefully that woke 'em up a little.

Havok
04-10-2004, 08:25 PM
but what if they didnt break back?:scared::scared:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 08:28 PM
then, I might be worrying.... but alas I don't have to worry quite yet. I really only worry about Andy's matches. I want USA to win and I want the Bryans to win but I'm not gonna freak over it :)

Havok
04-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Oh, ok.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 08:31 PM
:)

J. Corwin
04-10-2004, 09:08 PM
well they opened with a break..... against them :o

I was starting to be concerned just a tad when they got broken so quickly.

But of course the #1 players in the world have to restore tennis world order.

J. Corwin
04-10-2004, 09:08 PM
And the Bryans break!
Too good. ;)

J. Corwin
04-10-2004, 09:09 PM
They are winning more points on their 2nd serves than their opponents win on their 1st serves. :o

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Are you all on AIM for the Bryans' match?

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 09:17 PM
The Argentine fans celebrate their teams' annihilation from DC :devil:

http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/DC_2847_gallery.JPG

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 09:29 PM
I just took a shower tangy but now I'm back if you wanna get on and chitchat :)

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 09:35 PM
The Bryan brothers are the gods of doubles :worship: They are destroying Bjorkman/Johanssen :D

I never worry whenever the Bryans are playing, I'm so confident they will win. These guys and Roger Federer are the only players I never get anxious about, never fret, never worry. Aaaah! :angel:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Well they just gave back their break in the third. Please, guys, put this away in 3!

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 09:42 PM
LOL. The Bryans are winning by a mile and bunk is STILL nervous. :lol: You so silly. :silly:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 09:45 PM
It's Davis cup, the unexpected can happen. Stranger things have happened!

hey, get on AIM silly goose :)

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 09:47 PM
awwwwwwwwwww that's friendship.... or.... more??? ;)

MisterQ
04-10-2004, 09:49 PM
awwwwwwwwwww that's friendship.... or.... more??? ;)

Friends with benefits. ;)

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 09:50 PM
HAHAHAHA EVEN BETTER!!!!!!!

I :worship: you, Q

OK Bryans, you came back from 40-0 on their serve to break, now KEEP THE BREAK :armed:

tangerine_dream
04-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Aaww, I LOVE that pic! :hearts: thanks bunk! And :lol: Q :D

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 10:07 PM
thank you Bryans!!! Now it's all up to you Andy.... you say this is what you live for....here's your chance!

J. Corwin
04-10-2004, 10:10 PM
Easy win for them.

Havok
04-10-2004, 10:20 PM
:drive:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 10:49 PM
oh my fed

:tape:

:haha:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2004, 11:02 PM
"The brothers pair won several frantic exchanges, including one when Bob Bryan retreated to hit a shot between his legs that Bjorkman failed to handle.

“Best shot of the week,” McEnroe said. “I loved that one.”
----------
ohhhhhhh can't wait to see that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Havok
04-10-2004, 11:13 PM
wow, was it that hot out there today?:scared:
and Andy, stop it with that dumbass finger thing you do after wins:tape:

MisterQ
04-11-2004, 12:25 AM
OMG what a dork. Where's Beevus?

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 12:53 AM
it's South Florida, Naldo, I'm sure it was hot and humid!

tangerine_dream
04-11-2004, 12:56 AM
:haha: Dork alert!!!

andyroxmysox12191
04-11-2004, 01:10 AM
aaawww. cute pics...loved the one with mardy and andy :hearts:
now the one with andy....*shakes head* isn't that the andy we all love? :)
and im wondering...is that a green colored trucker hat? it looks a little green to me. if not, i need to have my eyes checked again by the nurse..

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Here's what BG has to say... it sounds like Andy played really well once he got himself settled!
-------

4.10.2004 - bradgilberttennis.com

The first five games Enqvist started out unbelievable. On the first point of the match they had a 45 point rally. They were going toe to toe, and he was actually getting the better of Andy. Enqvist has a small “honey hole”. If you hit it to his waist level, he hits as big of a ball as anybody. Andy was getting too many balls right into his honey hole. At 4-3 Andy adjusted his game, he started looping in the ball, mixing in some slices, and not giving Enqvist the clean pace that he likes. Thomas’ game then started to unravel a little bit. Andy used really good craftsmanship to take him out of his game, and that turned the match. The second set was close and then Andy steamrolled him in the third.

Once Andy made his adjustment Thomas never made an adjustment to what he was doing; that was great "Allen Fox" tennis right there. It’s like every once in awhile you might be throwing 99 mph heat, but the other guy might be hitting it out of the park, like Jobu, from the movie “Major League”. Enqvist, like Jobu, didn’t like the loop. Andy had to mix it up and that was the difference in the match.

Mardy pulled Andy up off his bootstraps in Bratislava, after he lost the first match, and last night Andy returned the favor.

Carito_90
04-11-2004, 01:23 AM
LMAO guys!!

I loved the one with mardy! so cute!

but i mean.. wtf is andy doing with that towel under his (yes, green) trucker hat? Maybe he saw the blondie and things got a bit.. ehem.. hot lol Don't worry andy, those things happen :)

and Andy, stop it with that dumbass finger thing you do after wins

I think he did it because the bryan bros won lol

Carito_90
04-11-2004, 01:24 AM
Mardy pulled Andy up off his bootstraps

what are bootstraps?

andyroxmysox12191
04-11-2004, 01:25 AM
lol carito. i think the towel is for keeping the sun off his face. i've done that before actually...and looked like a geek at the same time but it helped. lol

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Carito the thing with the towel is normal to do on a hot day :) Why he was wearing a dark green hat on a hot day is a different matter lol

and bootstraps is just an expression. Basically it just means that Mardy helped Andy last fall and Andy helped him out bigtime yesterday :)

MisterQ
04-11-2004, 01:31 AM
What is the expression, exactly? It connotes independence, doing it on your own, right? You pull yourself up by your bootstraps, I think...

andyroxmysox12191
04-11-2004, 01:32 AM
*points over to Deb* what she said

heya
04-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Brad is so overdramatic! Andy better not copy his behaviour. yuck
If he didn't know, Mardy got beaten in the dead rubber match in Bratislava too.
Andy didn't really take clay tennis seriously and never trained correctly on it. The constant criticism is really boring and I don't see how Brad will suddenly make him successful on clay unless Andy wants to work on it. *yawn

Carito_90
04-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Carito the thing with the towel is normal to do on a hot day Why he was wearing a dark green hat on a hot day is a different matter lol

Looked weird to me lol it's the first time i see it.. that's why maybe :)

Okay thnx for tellin me what it means :)

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 02:31 AM
hey guys the dubs is starting on ESPN2!!!!

Carito_90
04-11-2004, 02:33 AM
i wished i could watch it :bigcry:

tangerine_dream
04-11-2004, 02:38 AM
Andy was getting too many balls right into his honey hole

The best boyfriends *always* find the honey hole. :devil:

Carito_90
04-11-2004, 03:00 AM
The best boyfriends *always* find the honey hole.

EWW!! I gotta take that pic outta my mind! :scared: :scared:

Deboogle!.
04-11-2004, 03:10 AM
Andy was getting too many balls right into his honey hole

The best boyfriends *always* find the honey hole. :devil:

OMFF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in other news.... I LOVE watching the Bryans! They make doubles SO FUN! I cannot WAIT to see them next week!!!!

tangerine_dream
04-11-2004, 03:18 AM
Oh how cute .... Andy's noshing on his fingernails again. ;)

Someone's gotta get a screen capture of the two "shieks" sitting in the audience cheering Mike and Bob on. :lol:

tangerine_dream
04-11-2004, 03:20 AM
The Bryans are the only doubles team I'll watch. These guys are awesome. :worship:

And that stadium's packed to the gills full of screaming fans for their match! That's so great to see. :D

Carito_90
04-11-2004, 03:21 AM
Someone's gotta get a screen capture of the two "shieks" sitting in the audience cheering Mike and Bob on.

And you're that "someone" lol

star
04-11-2004, 03:33 AM
Carito, bootstraps are small straps on the inside of boots, generally with a loop in them, that are used to assist the wearer pull on the boots. Most riding boots have them. Lots of cowboy boots have them. Please don't pay any attention to the way Brad uses the English language because although you may have heard about his book "Winning Ugly," he could write another called speaking ugly. There is an expression in English "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" meaning "help your self improve." What Brad said in that sentence actually means nothing at all in English, but we all have a vague idea of what he meant given the context.

To understand how Brad mangles the English language, just look at this sentence: "On the first point of the match they had a 45 point rally. " :rolleyes: