The Mental Game [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Mental Game

ticktockclok
08-12-2006, 03:14 AM
What do you guys think of the almighty mental game? I've focused on this aspect of tennis relatively early in my years of tennis, around 12. I read and followed the principles of "The Inner Game of Tennis", and it had become my bible. I also bought another book, actually an ebook, on the mind game to compare and contrast. I thought it was an excellent complement to TIGOT, since it focused on self-hypnosis, which TIGOT doesn't cover. There's a link to it at my blog here. (http://gotennisbasics.wordpress.com/product-reviews/tennis-products/mind-tennis/)

I believe the mind game is about 80% of the game. After watching a Little League baseball game today, it truly showed how losing or winning is defined by your mental strength.

Hawkman
08-12-2006, 05:44 AM
90%

The rest is made up of fundamentals and intangibles.

kundalini
08-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Tim Gallwey's book is excellent as are all his Inner Game series. I do think you need to add some element of tactics to his approach, such as Brad Gilbert's Winning Ugly, so that you do more than just hit good shots; your opponent has their own strengths and weaknesses which go a long way towards determining which player wins the match.

Whenever a player enter "the zone" they are in essence in a trance state where time appears to slow down, the ball increases in size, and the right shot comes effortlessly.

Getting upset about poor line-calls, or an inability to execute your shots tends to have a negative impact on your performance, though for the odd player, say John McEnroe, the opposite seems to true.

Hawkman
08-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Whenever a player enter "the zone" they are in essence in a trance state where time appears to slow down, the ball increases in size, and the right shot comes effortlessly.

One of the best feelings ever.

ticktockclok
08-12-2006, 09:04 PM
The problem for me is that I'll start getting into the zone when I'm way behind, at which point I'll rally back for 3-4 games and then lose. :D

Hawkman
08-13-2006, 06:23 PM
That's funny.

I also tend to peak later. I always refer to myslef as the 2nd Set Player and then make it hard on myself by being forced into a 3 setter. But I'm very fit these days (Run 6 Miles a week, apply Crossfit on top of that ...) so my opponents usually fall apart

ticktockclok
08-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Run 6 miles a week? Not to be rude, but that's really not that much at all. But I don't think running helps in tennis, unless to lose weight. Tennis is all about the short spurts, so sprints are much more useful.

I use resistance bands and this running belt that you attach to your waist, hook to a resistance band, and latch on to the door. It makes sprinting type exercises, lunges, etc. very easy to do. You don't have to go to the gym in the winter to run; its great!

DrWho
08-16-2006, 02:34 PM
My whole game is a mental issue. If I think Im playing well i go from strength to strength, as soon as i question myself I fall apart. No joke, I almost quit playing because of it.
Just something I need to put up with.

nadalito92
08-30-2006, 04:15 AM
The problem for me is that I'll start getting into the zone when I'm way behind, at which point I'll rally back for 3-4 games and then lose. :D
you are my lost twin man, seirously that happens to me too, here we play 8 game sets on tournaments, i was loosing 6-1 man, y played all te way to 7-6 then we tied and guess wut... yes my serve... and a double fault, =( i didint get mad cause the other guy was good and it was an awesome game, i was actually happier about loosing but getting those 6 games than i would have been for winning by 8-1

changer7
09-03-2006, 08:23 PM
In my opinion the game of tennis is 70 % mental, 20 % fitness, and 10 % technical. This analysis is considering that determination and desire are tied into the mental aspect of the game. The most important thing to work on is fitness, actually. Many players overlook this aspect - including me - and focus purely on technique. Wrong! Now, don't get me wrong. Technique is important but fitness is vital to a good tennis player. If you have great technique but can't last 3 sets - let me tell you- winning tennis tournaments will be very dificult. So remember, train to become a motha %%%%% -ing beast!

General Suburbia
09-15-2006, 04:37 AM
Obviously depends on your level of tennis ability. Once you're fit enough and good enough to know what you're doing, it all becomes mental.

GugaRocksMySocks
09-15-2006, 04:59 PM
My whole game is a mental issue. If I think Im playing well i go from strength to strength, as soon as i question myself I fall apart. No joke, I almost quite playing because of it.
Just something I need to put up with.
:rolleyes: i so have that...it sucks quite a lot tbh, i only ever doubt myself heehee, but i'm tryin to change!!! lol so for me pretty much the whole rubbishness of my game is because i haven't got the right mentality...yet!!!

+alonso
09-26-2006, 03:17 AM
awful!!!!

I'm not like PHM but I usually choke in ridiculous moments :sad:

stebs
09-26-2006, 10:07 AM
I find it strange to see how much some of you think is mental in tennis. I can assure you that there is no way that tennis is 90% mental.

Of course there is a large proportion of mental ability involved but look at a guy like Safin who is crap mentally and has won 2 slams and most guys in top 50 who are okay mentally but have never won anything of note. It is due to ability.

I'd say tennis is between 5 and 10% mental which is a lot for a sport but technical ability is easily the most important factor. If tennis was 90% mental then I could give some people a run for their money.

I play every weekend and I'm pretty good mentally. I think this is because I care if I win but I don't care very much. This means I try as hard as I can but I don't choke or anything because I don't mind if I lose.

Burrow
07-22-2007, 12:37 AM
I find it strange to see how much some of you think is mental in tennis. I can assure you that there is no way that tennis is 90% mental.

Of course there is a large proportion of mental ability involved but look at a guy like Safin who is crap mentally and has won 2 slams and most guys in top 50 who are okay mentally but have never won anything of note. It is due to ability.

I'd say tennis is between 5 and 10% mental which is a lot for a sport but technical ability is easily the most important factor. If tennis was 90% mental then I could give some people a run for their money.

I play every weekend and I'm pretty good mentally. I think this is because I care if I win but I don't care very much. This means I try as hard as I can but I don't choke or anything because I don't mind if I lose.

Yes, 90% is utter rubbish.

Burrow
07-22-2007, 12:37 AM
not to mention this in the zone crap where time slows down and the ball gets bigger :haha:

mcnasty
07-22-2007, 05:02 AM
i remember ivan lendl replying 'rubbish'when it was suggested that mental toughness is what separates the top players from the rest of the pack. that sounds like an attempt to psyche out his opponents more than a statement to refute the assertion that the game is indeed 90% mental.

BgStallion
07-22-2007, 07:15 AM
I'd like to say that it depends on which level of play it is. It really is mental - especially on amateur level. So it's also about experience. Some mentioned Safin - Safin has played so many matches that tennis has become second nature to him. There's no way to compare the mental toughness of an amateur and pro tennis player. The mental side of the game is really important - it's also about controling momentum - something that's really something that one shoudl feel. I'm not saying that I'm mentally tough - I still have alot to work on :)

gaz
07-22-2007, 04:52 PM
There is more to tennis than hitting forehands and backhands etc
we teach good technique because it helps when things arent going the best they can be and good technique help with getting out of that
mental can help as well and if you know how to concentrate and things tha can helpl you mentally like visualition those skills are so helpful on court and that is what is going to help you

if you dont know where to hit your forehand (and that is mental) having a sound technical forehand is not going to help you

a lot of the menatl side is also common sense as well but decision making i a huge part of it too

i could go on for days with this!!!

Burrow
07-22-2007, 09:53 PM
lmao 90% my nana would be number 1 in the world.

gaz
07-22-2007, 10:09 PM
what you have to remember is that tennis is one very complex sport there is a lot of mental ability and technical ability needed i never said 90%

it probably wavers more onto the mental side for the reasons i have already mentioned

safinator 2000 you say all this rubbish but you never back it up

Burrow
07-29-2007, 03:42 PM
All this rubbish? and did i say YOU said 90% ? no i never.

Of course tennis isnt 90% mental, why would guys be working in the gym 10 hours per week, constantly refining technique?

K90
07-29-2007, 03:51 PM
ofcourse you have to have a good technique and fitness but also you have to be mentally strong. id say 50/50

Burrow
07-29-2007, 04:32 PM
if tennis was 90% mental, players like safin, gaudio and players like pashanski and koellerer wouldnt be nowhere near pro.

K90
07-29-2007, 04:36 PM
well im not talking about calmness, im talking about having the mental strength to win a match, and not to choke. and im not saying its 90 percent, im saying 50/50

MightyServe
07-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Well it can't be 90% of the game, because atleast 50% of the match will be spent hitting the ball and running around to get to the ball. So i'll say 40% mental, 30% technique, 30% fitness.

groundstroke
08-06-2007, 04:48 PM
50 at the absolute most. For professionals that have been long in the game, maybe 5-10, it depends how well you can really handle it, the better you can handle it, the better you are, obviously, and it leaves you to perfect more stuff at tennis.