Seeing Roger's backhand, does anyone still want to play a two-handed one? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Seeing Roger's backhand, does anyone still want to play a two-handed one?

Hagar
02-01-2004, 03:07 PM
I think Roger's backhand is AWESOME!!!
I mean, I'm as huge a Guga-fan as there can be and I love Guga's backhand but I also know it's not a technically perfect one. In any case, I have a thing with one-handed backhands but I've never seen anything as great as Roger's backhand, it's just amazing.
It looks so effortless compared to some of the two-handed backhands on the tour.

Overall, it's just fantastic to have a player as Roger on the tour, what he does is pure art.

Dirk
02-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Guga is still great. I just hope he can launch a comeback and win clay titles including RG this year.

Havok
02-01-2004, 03:21 PM
imo, 2 handed backhands are better than one handed backhands, and people like Safin and Agassi have a better backhand that Federer. that's just my opinion though

Bubble
02-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Although 1 handed backhand is indeed a good shot but I prefer 2 handed backhand. Marat's backhand also gave an impression that it is so easy and effortless but yet lethal.

TheBoiledEgg
02-01-2004, 03:47 PM
most of the kids play with 2 handed BH's cos they cant hit a BH with one hand as the racquet is too heavy.

I prefer one handed BH's though cant hit one myself :o ;)

Hagar
02-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Guga is still great. I just hope he can launch a comeback and win clay titles including RG this year.

Yeah, Guga is one of the best.

What about a Guga-Roger final at Roland Garros? YUMMIE!!!

jenny161185
02-01-2004, 04:19 PM
i was thinking the same watching the final - that backhand is amazing!

MisterQ
02-01-2004, 05:00 PM
I switched a while back from one hand to two because my one hander was horrendous. I have improved with a two hander because it helps for stability, especially on backhand returns.

I have tried to maintain a good one-handed slice though.

anyway, sometimes Roger makes me want to switch, but then I have to remember I am 0.000000573% as talented. ;)

Yonge
02-01-2004, 05:37 PM
I agree 100% I love Roger's single-handed backhand. It's just so fluid and strong.

I use single-handed backhand as well, because I can't hit a double-handed one properly. It's nowhere near Roger's though!

Hagar
02-01-2004, 05:48 PM
I have a single-handed backhand but it sucks. Tennis only functions on one half for me.

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 08:17 PM
2 handed backhands offer things that 1 handers don't... but roger is so gifted he could make anything work.

and marat's backhand isn't better-- at least not when he's playing federer...

and agassi's backhand has absolutely no variety-- and that's why he lost to marat... throwing in a few slices to a guy who's 6'5" isn't a bad idea at all.

azinna
02-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Depends on what you want to do on the court, your mentality and attitude. If you feel like being able to consistently dictate off your backhand return, from the backhand corner, to hit offensive backhands from defensive positions, then nothing beats the double-fisted backhands of Agassi, Marat, Serena, Venus.

If you're into carving out your opponents, confounding them with variety, coming in low, neutralising power and stretching folks wide, then the backhands of Steffi, Justine and Fed are essential. But note that Fed's backhand works because he's got the right mentatilty for it. He only occasionally goes for outright backhand winners now (he used to, and simply racked up the errors). Just like Pete and Steffi did, Roger has decided to work his opponents with a steady, unattackable backhand. This takes mucho patience. If you don't have the mentality for it, you best not wish it on yourself.

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Depends on what you want to do on the court, your mentality and attitude. If you feel like being able to consistently dictate off your backhand return, from the backhand corner, to hit offensive backhands from defensive positions, then nothing beats the double-fisted backhands of Agassi, Marat, Serena, Venus
:sad: :sad: :sad:
ppl are already forgetting monica...

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 09:43 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:
ppl are already forgetting monica...
Well he was sticking with ACTIVE players for that section, and at last check, Monica hasnt' been all that ACTIVE in the past year.

I do hope she comes back, though

decemberlove
02-01-2004, 10:15 PM
I agree 100% I love Roger's single-handed backhand. It's just so fluid and strong.

I use single-handed backhand as well, because I can't hit a double-handed one properly. It's nowhere near Roger's though!

same here.

i try a two-handed and i get no control with it. i think im doing something wrong. but one-handed is good enough where i dont really care to figure out what im doing wrong :)

star
02-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Yeah, Guga is one of the best.

What about a Guga-Roger final at Roland Garros? YUMMIE!!!

I liked the Guga Roger match at Indian Wells last year. :)

star
02-01-2004, 10:25 PM

It's a pretty shot, but it's not his main weapon off the ground. As others noted he doesn't hit many winners with it and it can be error prone. So I wouldn't say it is a strong shot compared to Guga's backhand which is a real weapon for him.

sigmagirl91
02-01-2004, 11:07 PM
I think Roger's backhand is AWESOME!!!
I mean, I'm as huge a Guga-fan as there can be and I love Guga's backhand but I also know it's not a technically perfect one. In any case, I have a thing with one-handed backhands but I've never seen anything as great as Roger's backhand, it's just amazing.
It looks so effortless compared to some of the two-handed backhands on the tour.

Overall, it's just fantastic to have a player as Roger on the tour, what he does is pure art.

Interesting, because I had the same thought myself. After watching Roger's, and even Justine's, backhands, I often wonder why the two-hander. Those who play with a single hand backhand have better reach-all the better to repel those big servers.

federerfan7465
02-01-2004, 11:12 PM
I've played with a one hadner for about 4 years now, and I modeled mine after rafter/guga/federer. its good stuff. One handers are fun, and make you look like you know what your doing. However, the mojority of players play with a two-hander, its jsut plain easier, and gets good effects, especially on the return. Never begin playing tennis with a one-hander

sigmagirl91
02-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Uh, no. That one-hander is a risky shot for a beginner.

TennisLurker
02-01-2004, 11:21 PM
It's a pretty shot, but it's not his main weapon off the ground. As others noted he doesn't hit many winners with it and it can be error prone. So I wouldn't say it is a strong shot compared to Guga's backhand which is a real weapon for him.

I agree.

Ive seen better one handers.

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Well he was sticking with ACTIVE players for that section, and at last check, Monica hasnt' been all that ACTIVE in the past year.

I do hope she comes back, though
well she's been kinda active... but it hasn't been pretty. when she comes back, she'll still have one of the best backhand/forehand arsenals in the game.

asotgod
02-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Federer has the best one-hander and probably the best backhand in the game. I am a fan of Guga, but his is just more powerful. What makes Federer's backhand nasty is the variety. The variety makes it better than any backhand in the game.

He can change pace, spin, use it to draw people to the net or keep them feets away from the baseline. So, although Agassi's two hander is powerful, Federer's is more effective. The final of yesterday is a perfect example. Agassi would not have hit harder than Safin. Never! But the change up kept worrying Safin and Federer was redirecting his slices to both sections of the court. On one point, he stabbed the ball short and Safin had no choice but to move in and try to get the ball back. Then, Federer passed him.

So, the two handers may be able to flatten kicks, hit harder, but they cannot vary the ball like Federer does. It's versatility that differentiates between Federer and what the others do.

WyverN
02-02-2004, 12:37 AM
The single handed backhand generally required more talent to use hence most of the juniors use the 2 hander.

The advantages of the 1 hander:

- ability to disguise drop shot
- better reach
- more options on shot to play
- better mobility

azza
02-02-2004, 02:16 AM
Mark Philippoussis :worship:

star
02-02-2004, 02:18 AM
Federer has the best one-hander and probably the best backhand in the game. I am a fan of Guga, but his is just more powerful. What makes Federer's backhand nasty is the variety. The variety makes it better than any backhand in the game.

He can change pace, spin, use it to draw people to the net or keep them feets away from the baseline. So, although Agassi's two hander is powerful, Federer's is more effective. The final of yesterday is a perfect example. Agassi would not have hit harder than Safin. Never! But the change up kept worrying Safin and Federer was redirecting his slices to both sections of the court. On one point, he stabbed the ball short and Safin had no choice but to move in and try to get the ball back. Then, Federer passed him.

So, the two handers may be able to flatten kicks, hit harder, but they cannot vary the ball like Federer does. It's versatility that differentiates between Federer and what the others do.

I agree with that, but I don't see it as a powerful shot as was stated earlier in the discussion. I also believe that Federer's backhand is his weaker side.

sigmagirl91
02-02-2004, 02:21 AM
The single handed backhand generally required more talent to use hence most of the juniors use the 2 hander.

The advantages of the 1 hander:

- ability to disguise drop shot
- better reach
- more options on shot to play
- better mobility

Agreed; also, it requires more strength to execute. As you know, juniors whose bodies are still maturing will have a tougher time carrying this shot off...

faboozadoo15
02-02-2004, 02:52 AM
Mark Philippoussis :worship:
:haha: :lol: and another :haha:

asotgod
02-02-2004, 04:37 AM
star,

I did not state the Federer's backhand is powerful. The word "powerful" in that context was for Guga. Guga hits with more power on his backhand than Federer. Hope I have clarified that.

I know it is said that Federer's backhand is his weaker side, but I am prone to believe that he has been working on it a lot and it's becoming a very dangerous weapon, as Federer is getting used to that side being picked on during matches. That will make it harder to beat him as he is becoming very strong returning the power shots to his backhand and even towards looping and redirecting the ball the way he wants from the backhand. I feel his variety on the backhand influences the power shots of his opponents and at times forces them to redirect the ball to his forehand for more winners.

ys
02-02-2004, 04:42 AM
It's a very good shot. But if it was the best shot in the game, why would he use his slice so much? Onehanded backhand doesn't work same well on all surfaces. It is very good on clay, indoors and grass. It is not that effective on hardcourts.

asotgod
02-02-2004, 04:56 AM
ys,

The slice is used to

1. get the one-handed guys back in position
2. to vary the pace on the ball, most times taking away the pace of the ball entirely
3. to disguise drop shots.

It is pretty effective on hard court. I will give Federer an edge over Roddick on hardcourt. Safin will be tougher to beat on hardcourts, but why not? Look if Federer, for example, kept just banging away on the backhand side, like Guga and Agassi do, he will be losing so many points. It is his versatility with it that makes him do so many things others cannot do. The essence of the slice is to mix things up, trouble your opponents, check out their weak points because men's tennis is more often power than finesse. People just banging away from the baseline, and those banging away play better when their opponents bang away as well. But the change ups destroy their rhythm. So, Federer may go with a deep backhand slice crosscourt, expect his opponent to generate pace or loop the ball, then he flattens from the backhand side. Sometimes, he even loops the ball pretty close to the baseline using his backhand and when the shot is returned hard back to him, he slices down the line which 99% of players will loop to his forehand. Federer understands shot selection properly and that gives him an added advantage.