Top10 Serve,backhand etc...Let's make lists! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Top10 Serve,backhand etc...Let's make lists!

Raoul Duke
02-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Ok since I'm new here I cannot be sure if this hasn't been done more than a couple of times already......but anyway I'll give it a try :rolleyes:

Do feel free to think of your own categories but here are some of the obvious that I know I'll try to compile: Serve, Forehand, Backhand, Mental strenght, Footwork/speed, Volleys, returns or how about Intelligence or Stamina..........or haircuts ;) or instead of making best lists....do it the other way round and make worst lists :devil: !

It's all up to you!!! Just keep em coming. I'll start thinking about mine RIGHT NOW :)

Raoul Duke
02-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Ok here is my Top 10 servers in the world list:

1. Goran Ivanicevic (Ok I thought about not ranking him but it's really quite simple...until he retires he is the best server out there. Period! When it's on, no matter if it is first or second, there is not a thing you can do about it. An ace-machine unlike anyother. Only argueable threat to his title as best server in the world was Sampras and he is gone now.)

2. I. Karlovic (According to Todd Martin simply the best serve in tennis today. Not the fastest but because of Karlovic height it's the most effective.)

3. A. Roddick (There is other people who serve more aces but Roddick does it time and time again under pressure. Has a great kick serve. Yet his serve is not unreturnable like some of the others. I love his 2. serve which is the best "pure" 2. serve I think I've ever seen)

4. W. Arthurs (This guy can simply do everything with his serve. Both first and second. Maybe he should be ranked ahead of Roddick. I think I remember Andy saying after being schooled by him a couple of years ago that after Ivanicevic this was the best serve he had ever faced.
But is it just me or doesn't he give into the pressure quite a lot?)

5. M. Philippoussis (One word: POWER!)

6. M. Mirnyi (Top 10 2003 in aces, 1. Serve percentage, 1. serves won, service games won, break points saved and most impressively also 2. serves won)

7. G. Rusedski (If not for his serve a very ordinary player)

8. F. Lopez (top 10 in virtually every service statistic category. And he is Spanish :worship: His 2. serve keeps him ahead of a lot of the other contenders for this list)

9. G. Kuerten (Didn't have a great year last season which affected his serve statistics also. But still a great serve. Lots of aces and always comes up with the goods under pressure.)

10. M. Fish (I can't argue with his statistics. Need to prove himself over time though)

This btw was a whole lot more difficult than I thought it would be! :o
The following just missed out: Ljubicic, El Aynaoui, Federer, Verkerk, Popp and Safin

WyverN
02-01-2004, 10:32 AM
I will go for forehand.......

1. Roddick - trmendous power and pace, almost as big a weapon as the serve

2. Federer - can do anything with it, the placement and control he has with it is unbelievable

3. Moya - just a great shot

4. Gonzalez - hits it the hardest and when it goes in its the best shot in the world but it doesnt go in enough

5. Younes El Aynayoui - for someone with a club level backhand the forehand must be excellent for him to compete at the top level and it certainly is one of the best allowing him to dominate matches with it

6. Agassi - incredible ability to take it early and very quickly

7. Ferrero - probably underrated but it is a major weapon of his

8. Nalbandian - overshadowed by his amazing backhand but his forehand is just as reliable and accurate

9. Safin - again overshadowed by the backhand but the forehand is a terrific shot in its own right

10. Grosjean - hits it very cleanly

I probably missed some players as the forehand is a weapon for many players

WyverN
02-01-2004, 10:33 AM
I don't know how you can leave Federer and Safin of the best serves list, Safin outserved Roddick in their match

Raoul Duke
02-01-2004, 10:44 AM
I don't know how you can leave Federer and Safin of the best serves list, Safin outserved Roddick in their match

Well it is close and they only just missed out. You are right Safin did outserve Roddick! But then again his return of serve is just so much better than Roddick's is. And I think that's the key here. Hell it isn't that long ago that when it came to returning Roddick simply didn't have a clue. Chang would hit 30 aces against him.......on clay!!!

I've been so impressed with Safin's return of serve this week that I would seriously consider putting him at number 1 on a list of best returners.

I liked this comment from Agassi before the Roddick - Safin match:

The biggest weapon Roddick has, as we all know, is his serve. That's something that I think - Safin is one of the handful of players that can -- not neutralize, not so far as to neutralize, but to be able to make Roddick play a lot on that serve, you know.

Again, if Andy's missing a few first serves, and getting away with seconds, then I think guys -- he tends to pick up a lot of momentum. But Safin is a good returner of the ball who's 6'5", so I think he's going to have his opportunities.

WyverN
02-01-2004, 11:01 AM
I've been so impressed with Safin's return of serve this week that I would seriously consider putting him at number 1 on a list of best returners.

I would say equal second with Agassi behind Federer. There is a reason guys like Roddick, Safin and Mark can't hit many aces against Federer. Not only can he read the fast serve extremely well but his speed allows him to retrieve many balls that would go for aces against other returners.

Probably the best thing about Federer's return is the sheer variety of the returns of serve - sometimes running around it to wallop a forehand, sometimes slicing the ball back, sometimes whipping the backhand return - crosscourt, down the middle, down the sideline

Raoul Duke
02-01-2004, 11:09 AM
I will go for forehand.......

1. Roddick - trmendous power and pace, almost as big a weapon as the serve

2. Federer - can do anything with it, the placement and control he has with it is unbelievable

3. Moya - just a great shot

4. Gonzalez - hits it the hardest and when it goes in its the best shot in the world but it doesnt go in enough

5. Younes El Aynayoui - for someone with a club level backhand the forehand must be excellent for him to compete at the top level and it certainly is one of the best allowing him to dominate matches with it

6. Agassi - incredible ability to take it early and very quickly

7. Ferrero - probably underrated but it is a major weapon of his

8. Nalbandian - overshadowed by his amazing backhand but his forehand is just as reliable and accurate

9. Safin - again overshadowed by the backhand but the forehand is a terrific shot in its own right

10. Grosjean - hits it very cleanly

I probably missed some players as the forehand is a weapon for many players

These are the players I had shortlisted for my forehand list. I skimmed through the rankings and they were the only one really standing out. Almost exactly the same as yours....

Federer, Roddick, Ferrero, Agassi, Moya, Nalbandian, Philippoussis, Grosjean, El Aynaoui, Gonzalez, Malisse and Safin.....

Aurora
02-01-2004, 11:27 AM
I would say equal second with Agassi behind Federer. There is a reason guys like Roddick, Safin and Mark can't hit many aces against Federer. Not only can he read the fast serve extremely well but his speed allows him to retrieve many balls that would go for aces against other returners.
Probably the best thing about Federer's return is the sheer variety of the returns of serve - sometimes running around it to wallop a forehand, sometimes slicing the ball back, sometimes whipping the backhand return - crosscourt, down the middle, down the sideline

True, the man's variety on pretty much every shot is impressive. But I would put it the other way around, Agassi and Safin in front of Federer. I get the impression their return is way more of a weapon than Fed's against the big guys, making winners and almost-winners more than him. Whereas Fed often brings -slices- it back to start the rally.

CooCooCachoo
02-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Well to me, forehands and serve are of no real importance in the game of tennis. Technical aspects.. blah nonsense! ;) This might surprise you, but what I look for in a player is intelligent play, not sticking on the baseline like peanut butter, friendliness on and off court and charisma (in a good way, not the Malisse or Hewitt charisma).

I want a game to entertain me. I want to have fun watching an interesting rally which has basically everything in it. Therefore I am a huge doubles fan and I'll go for my Doubles players Top 10.

#1 and #2 would be Paola Suarez and Virginia Ruano Pascual, but I realize this is a MENS tennis forum, so here goes:

1) Jonas Björkman. Besides amazingly talented and industrious, this Swede is also amazingly funny and nice.

2) Todd Woodbridge. That would make you think I am a big Björkman/Woodbridge fan. Well, I like them, but they aren't my favourites :) But seen as individual doubles players (what a paradox), I really appreciate both. Woodbridge should be on my list, after his record. I never really liked him at the side of Mark Woodforde (he kept beating Jacco and Paul!), but now I've started to appreciate his ability more and more. He has got a lot of talent and would be Mr. Fair Play on the doubles tour.

3) Fabrice Santoro, basically because he is a nice oddball on the doubles tour. He can do virtually anything with the ball, without powerhitting all the time. Fabrice is extremely funny and one of the best players to watch in doubles matches.

4) Now it's hard for me.. Daniel Nestor because he is a good player and a real nestor on Tour. He is not too skilled, not too nice, not too industrious. Yet he is one of the best players out there. He has got everything a doubles player needs, but in the right proportions.

5) Michael Llodra, who stole my heart after hitting that pigeon at the AO last year (not because he hit the pigeon, though). I never saw him play in real life, but I really want to! Just a great player.

6) The third Frenchman already in this Top Ten (and yes, another one is coming up after this). Arnaud Clément. Though he isn't a real doubles player, he plays the game so very well. The main reason why he is #6 on this list is because he actually has fun on court and he shows that.

7) Nenad Zimonjic from Serbia & Montenegro is a lot of fun to watch as well. I am still waiting for his breakthrough. He deserves it, although it struck me as quite awkward that Sébastien Grosjean played better than him in a match in which they were partners..

8) Based on one match solely (yes, the one together with Nenad against Knowles/Nestor, which they lost ;)), Sébastien Grosjean deserves this spot. I had always disliked him, before I watched this match. Now I really like him! :d

9) Oops! Still have some players to get on the top 10. They won't all fit.. #9 is Czech doubles player Leos Friedl (all the Czechs are great at doubles, aren't they?). He is not necessarily better than compatriots Novak, Stepanek, Cibulec (ok he is better than Tomas), Damm and Suk, but he is nicer. He is really down to earth and, thus, approachable.

10) A player from the Bahamas. Oh, that must be Mark Knowles, mustn't it? No it mustn't, because spot #10 goes to Mark Merklein, for being a real nice player, a real nice guy. Robbie Koenig could've had this spot for exactly the same reason, only somehow my fingers typed Mark Merklein..

These players didn't make the top 10, but they alone are a good reason to expand the top 10 ;):

- Roger Federer. The best top singles player is also the best doubles player amongst the top singles players.. And friendly too! Wrong choice: playing together with Max Mirnyi, who I don't like. But they play well together..

- Tommy Robredo. He is just not good enough to make the top 10. But he is a great player and I want to watch him play together with Juan Carlos Ferrero. Tommy can actually volley (how many Spaniards can say that, besides Juan Balcells, Francisco Roig and Tomas Carbonell?).

- Leander Paes. Very skilled player, very friendly player and he deserves the sympathy vote here as well. Still, he didn't make the Top 10, because he just doesn't appeal to me.

- Paul Haarhuis. The best Dutch doubles player since Tom Okker. He just isn't friendly and fun enough to get the vote from a fellow Dutchman.

- David Rikl. In contrast with is sometimes grumpy appearance, he is actually a really friendly guy. Very patient and calm. As a doubles player, I've seen him performing way less than other top doubles players and therefore he didn't get a top 10 spot.

:D That's it!

CooCooCachoo
02-01-2004, 04:59 PM
I forgot Mariano Hood here.. Also a nice player. Quit playing those lower ranked ATP tournaments, Mariano, you can beat the big guns!

Raoul Duke
02-01-2004, 05:24 PM
This list doesn't need a lot of explanation...it's all about POWER and nothing else.

Who can produce the most power?
Here is my top 10:

1. F. Gonzalez
2. M. Philippoussis
3. M. Verkerk
4. M. Safin
5. A. Roddick
6. Y. El Ayonaoui
7. P. Shrichipan
8. G. Kuerten (on clay when he has more time for his swings...)
9. J. Blake
10. A. Dupuis :eek:

I made this quickly and can't help the feeling that I've have forgotten someone......hmmmmm :confused:

1DICKrodDICK1
02-01-2004, 06:19 PM
You cant have a top ten serve list without ljubicic.

*Ljubica*
02-01-2004, 08:56 PM
OK - I'll go for backhands. My top 5 are:-

(1) Nalbandian
(2) Safin
(3) Federer
(4) Gaudio
(5) Agassi

MisterQ
02-01-2004, 10:43 PM
RETURNERS (current players only). I think there are five truly outstanding returners:

1. Agassi -- best hand-eye coordination. best combination of pace, accuracy, and consistency. somewhat weaker than others when stretched out wide, but otherwise the best.

2. Hewitt --- gets the ball back in the court more than any other, and places it well

3. Safin -- most powerful return

4. Federer --- good hands + extension on one-hander + athleticism means it's hard to get a serve past him

5. Nalbandian --- just a good solid returner, and able to block back returns when necessary against big servers

MisterQ
02-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Best Backhand Defensive Crosscourt Slice Lob Volley from the Baseline On The Run:

1. Roger Federer :lol:

TennisLurker
02-01-2004, 11:12 PM
RETURNERS (current players only). I think there are five truly outstanding returners:

1. Agassi -- best hand-eye coordination. best combination of pace, accuracy, and consistency. somewhat weaker than others when stretched out wide, but otherwise the best.

2. Hewitt --- gets the ball back in the court more than any other, and places it well

3. Safin -- most powerful return

4. Federer --- good hands + extension on one-hander + athleticism means it's hard to get a serve past him

5. Nalbandian --- just a good solid returner, and able to block back returns when necessary against big servers

Where is Wayne ferreira?? ;) :p

Ive seen many matches of Wayne Ferreira playing against Sampras or Philippoussis, and many matches of Agassi vs Sampras or Philippoussis, and I think old wayne returns big serves better than Andre.
Old Wayne would be number 1 in my list. :cool:

Henman is as good as Federer returning serves.

Crazy_Fool
02-01-2004, 11:21 PM
I think old wayne returns big serves better than Andre.
Yeh ok ;) LOL
Best mentally:
1. Hewitt(As tough as it gets)
2. Agassi(Thesedays very rarely know when he is beaten)
3. Roddick(Very confidnet)
4. Federer(Finally getting his act together)
5. Safin(Seems to have matured)

azza
02-02-2004, 01:11 AM
I think Ya'll missed Guccione on the serve department ;)

CooCooCachoo
02-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Yeh ok LOL
Best mentally:
1. Hewitt(As tough as it gets)
2. Agassi(Thesedays very rarely know when he is beaten)
3. Roddick(Very confidnet)
4. Federer(Finally getting his act together)
5. Safin(Seems to have matured)

This list, in my opinion, makes absolutely no sense. It seems as if you have only looked at the Top 10. Where is a player such as Kucera?

You say that Safin has improved. This doesn't mean he isn't still inflamable. It is absolutely ridiculous that he'd make a top 5.

J. Corwin
02-02-2004, 07:47 AM
This list, in my opinion, makes absolutely no sense. It seems as if you have only looked at the Top 10. Where is a player such as Kucera?

You say that Safin has improved. This doesn't mean he isn't still inflamable. It is absolutely ridiculous that he'd make a top 5.

I concur.

Raoul Duke
02-02-2004, 07:55 AM
Ok my top 10 returners

1. Federer
2. Safin
3. Hewitt
4. Agassi
5. Nalbandian
6. Kafelnikov (ok he is 87% retired :rolleyes: )
7. Gonzalez (for entertainment value)
8. T. Martin (very underrated return of serve)
9. Rios (retired :confused: )
10. I'll let the following share the glory: W. Ferreira, Kucera, Chela, Massu, Schuettler and Novak

oxy
02-02-2004, 04:10 PM
i shall have mine....top 10 fastest legs!!!!
i started to watch tennis only in 2002 so my list may not be that accurate cos i have not watch too many players play but heres my list....

1. Hewitt
2. Ferrero
3. Coria
4. Federer
5. Nalbandian
6. Grosjean
7. Nadal
8. Agassi
9. Arazi
10. Schuttler

Pea
02-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Best Backhand Defensive Crosscourt Slice Lob Volley from the Baseline On The Run:

1. Roger Federer :lol:

:lol: :worship:

CooCooCachoo
02-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Wittiest gold medal goes to:

Orlin Stanoytchev from Bulgaria. Right, none of you know him, but he is really funny ;) Also, Emilio Benfele Alvarez is funny as well.

estopa
02-02-2004, 10:13 PM
oki,so we are up with lists..hm. :scratch: .here is a list of..guys I think you other left out on your lists :)
1. Mariano Zabaleta- For being a nice guy with great potential
2. Paul Hanley- Excelent double player, done really good with Arthurs
3. Carlos Moya- How many plays in sleevless?
4. van Lottum- he actually won a few games to Kuerten even though he couldn´t move?!
5. Tomas Enqvist -This swede just has to be here, can you be more handsome? :drool:

AgassiFan
02-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Best FH: Agassi
Best BH: Nabahldian/Federer tie.
Best Volley: Sampras (retired my ass...who else?)
Best Return: Federer, but Hewitt and Nabhaldian are good too.
Best Serve: Roddick
Marathon Man: Coria when healthy

Best RebAce: Agassi
Best Clay: Ferrero
Best Grass: Federer
Best Deco: Federer

Raoul Duke
02-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Categories not done yet and my nominations for them. Will I ever put them in order? Putting them in order is very difficult if you take lists seriously as I do.....so for now I'll just post my nominees..... :p

Backhand: Federer, Ferrero, Agassi, Coria, Nalbandian, Shrichipan, Robredo, Gonzalez, Kafelnikov, Youzhny, Hrbaty, Escude, Mathieu, Safin, Enqvist, Corretja, Rios, Chela, Massu, Kuerten

VOLLEYS: (it was difficult to find players for this one and I'm not really in touch with doubles scene, since they rarely get shown so there may be better volleyers out there :confused: )

Federer, Henman, Mirnyi, Ferreira, Bjørkman, Dent, Kafelnikov, Lapenti, Escude, Santoro, Llodra, Martin , Safin, Corretja, Rusedski, Philippoussis

FOOTWORK:
Federer, Ferrero, Coria, Shuettler, Nalbandian, Grosjean, Hewitt, Robredo, Clement, Youzhny, Rochus, Safin, Canas

STAMINA:
Roddick, Schuettler, Nalbandian, Shrichipan, Kuerten, Hewitt, Costa, Safin, Canas

jcman
02-08-2004, 04:52 AM
Best Look : Safin