Has Roger just made some coaches unemployed? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Has Roger just made some coaches unemployed?

Rosa Luxembourg
02-01-2004, 04:46 AM
by winning a GS without a coach? :p

are coaches at this level relevant? ;)

CanadianBoy18
02-01-2004, 04:57 AM
I don't think they are.
The players are disciplined enough to not be baby sitted. They know what has to happen in order to win. They are just a waste of money and are there 24/7 around you to keep you thinking about tennis, and that makes you go crazy. They are important to someone who is starting to play tennis, and to someone who is not disciplined. and Grand Slam Champions and #1 players are disciplined!

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 05:01 AM
i agree and disagree with your assessment of coaches. prefessional tennis players do a lot of waiting around and get very bored... it's good to always have someone that's on your side to talk to you and be around you. they also set up your hitting times, where you stay, rides, and control your practices. this week roger has been hitting with juniors, which is a nice thing to do, but it helps them more than it does him. it's good that he didn't get stressed out about it, though. pretty admirable. but not having a coach can lead to players plateauing. they only see their game one way and may not be able to motivate themself to add new dimensions.

and i believe roger will find a coach soon... and he'll have plenty of tatsy offers...

WyverN
02-01-2004, 05:06 AM
I just hope Roger winning while coachless doesn't lead him into believing it is good enough to stay coachless long term.

I do believe Roger has a extra level he can rise to but that improvement will not be made without the help of a good coach.

Plus it is in gruelling 5 setters where you remmember the little advice coaches have drilled into you, Roger has not had a tight match hence we dont know how he will respond to one.

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 05:14 AM
Roger is exceptional - using him as an example for why coaches aren't necessary is rather silly. Great coaching is what shaped him into the player he is today.

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 05:17 AM
Plus it is in gruelling 5 setters where you remmember the little advice coaches have drilled into you, Roger has not had a tight match hence we dont know how he will respond to one.

i agree that we don't know how he would handle a 5 setter again... BUT he had a tall order mantally in beating hewitt, nalbandian, ferrero, and fafin in order...

lsy
02-01-2004, 05:22 AM
Well said Rebecca. Not only other players, I'd still prefer Roger with a coach too.

Vass
02-01-2004, 07:14 AM
Well I'd say a coach is neccessary, and Roger is winning on what the previus one tought him. Although there is some truth you people wrote. Safin has too played with his best-friend-coach-who-is-23-yo. I can't imagine what kind of coahing is that.

CooCooCachoo
02-01-2004, 07:22 AM
I don't think so, because Roger is still looking for a coach.

Raoul Duke
02-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Short term for a player on his level it doesn't have to be a problem. But long term a good coach is definitely preferable.

Always work on your game.

tennischick
02-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Roger was coached until recently and his coach's as well as former trainer's (the one who died) input into his development are what helped him to win the AO IMHO.

Action Jackson
02-02-2004, 04:51 AM
Federer has been taught well by Peter Lundgren and by the late Peter Carter and at the moment he has a good support network around him, and he will wait for the right time before he finds the right coach for him.

Good coaches can add a lot to players, but bad coaches can halt the development of a players abilities.