Federer freezes Safin for AO 2004 Championship: 7/6 6/4 6/2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer freezes Safin for AO 2004 Championship: 7/6 6/4 6/2

Tennis Fool
02-01-2004, 04:32 AM
For us Safin fans, storybook ending was not to be :sad:

For us Federer fans, you just have to say "Too good". First man since Sampras to win the Aussie Open right after winning Wimbledon.

All aboard the Fed Express :worship: :woohoo: :worship:

Now for the Safin/Federer rematchs into the spring :devil:

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 04:34 AM
way to go fed!

star
02-01-2004, 04:36 AM
Federer shone this night.

Congrats to all his fans. :)

Dirk
02-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Awful match. Safin was tired and it showed after the 1st set. Roger was patchy but good enough. Some great points but some really bad ones as well. Saffy was great at the net even better than Roger. Great passing shots by both. Roger's mixing pace and styles fucked Safin's baseline power game so good tactics by Roger but you could tell both guys were nervous as hell. Glad Roger won but it was tough watching Marat.

jmp
02-01-2004, 04:44 AM
Great come back, Marat! :D Keep it up! :D

:bounce:

Superb

Sublime

Stupendous

Roger!!

:bounce:

WyverN
02-01-2004, 04:46 AM
CONGRATS ROGER!

To do this without a coach, unbelievable! I don't think even the Federer fans expected this.

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 04:47 AM
i didn't really think it was that bad of a match, actually. roger was just too solid and played completely differently than agassi did against him. neither played their best, but looking at roger's stats, it doesn't seem he played too badly at all.

Ace
02-01-2004, 04:48 AM
I thought it was a real possibility that federer would dismantle safin and sadly he did.
Scrappy match and safin was clearly spent.
Roger played within himself but still did enough for another steamroller Slam win.

It wasnt even close.

tangerine_dream
02-01-2004, 04:49 AM
Boring match. Safin seemed to lose concentration almost as soon as he hit the court. Looked dead tired after the first set (Fed will send Agassi flowers later to thank him.) Both played sloppy but Fed easily won anyways. If it were Agassi, he'd have made Fed work much harder for the win. But Safin was too busy smashing rackets and entertaining the crowd. Get a coach, Marat. And quit partying so much. You flaked out. Again. :(

Rogi - congrats on your second slam :yeah:

WyverN
02-01-2004, 04:51 AM
I dont think Safin played all that bad, Federer just completely neutralised his first serve with Safin winning only 63% when it went in and serving only a few aces.

Certainly Safin collapsed in the 3rd set but you couldnt realistically ask him to pull out a comeback after what he has been through

cheliste
02-01-2004, 04:52 AM
Now for the Safin/Federer rematchs into the spring :devil:

That's exactly what I'm looking forward to!
Seeing my top two in the finals...this couldn't get any better.

Congrats Marat, it's great to finally see you're back. And to Rogi on winning the Oz. :bounce:

faboozadoo15
i think it would have been completely different if marat would have won the first set, personally (i mean, roger still would have won, i imagine) but marat would have been able to think... not just "stay with him" rather that "i need to catch up with him... and NOW." but roger handled the tie break pretty well, considering that was the first one he played all tournament (pretty damn rare!) and marat had won quite a few pressure tiebreaks along the way.

Billabong
YEAHHH Congrats Fed for your second GS title and the Aus Open title!!! I'm sooooo happy!!! You did great!

Rogi really did less UFES than in his previous matches... but Safin looked tired and frustrated... Well done Marat for that fabulous week, let's hope that will be a great year for both players!

Congrats again Fed!!! Now continue! GOOOOOO!!!

jmp
02-01-2004, 04:55 AM
Dirk, that was a good call on the match. But, I don't think Marat was tired. From what I saw in the Agassi match and what his trainer said, I think Marat has the physical goods. I don't think he's the mental midget he used to be, either. I think he was confounded and perplexed by Roger's game. He's in serious need of a coach/strategist and he needs to watch Roger's matches, especially this final, until he pukes. Then I hope he mounts a real challenge to Roger. He's more than capable. But, now it's time for the real work to begin. The honeymoon is over.

Speaking of coaches, I think Roger shut up a few critics. :D

Tennis Fool
02-01-2004, 05:00 AM
But Safin was too busy smashing rackets and entertaining the crowd. Get a coach, Marat. And quit partying so much. You flaked out. Again. :(

:rolleyes:

So you're saying he "shouldn't" fall back on his big dick because his "talent" refused to manifest itself?

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 05:04 AM
"fall back on his big dick"
not the ideal visual...
:haha:

Tennis Fool
02-01-2004, 05:05 AM
I dont think Safin played all that bad

From the stats he had a 3:1 UFEs to Winners ratio, very Marata Safina-like.

If he'd just cleaned those up, the match would have been much tighter, as Fed was putting in some doozies too. Still, Fed would have won the match with more than twice the winners.

Dirk
02-01-2004, 05:05 AM
Safin tried his best but I think he was tired and Roger's returning scared him. Safin was returning great in the 1st set but as Roger pulled ahead Safin faded. I am shocked Roger won more points at net than Safin. Safin has done so much and will be fighting for the top spot this year with Roger.

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 05:08 AM
Boring match. Safin seemed to lose concentration almost as soon as he hit the court. Looked dead tired after the first set (Fed will send Agassi flowers later to thank him.) Both played sloppy but Fed easily won anyways. If it were Agassi, he'd have made Fed work much harder for the win. But Safin was too busy smashing rackets and entertaining the crowd. Get a coach, Marat. And quit partying so much. You flaked out. Again. :(

Rogi - congrats on your second slam :yeah:
What makes you think Agassi would have made Federer work much harder? I'll take that and raise you a Houston Final that tells me otherwise :)

As for Safin not having a coach - I'm sorry, what? It's Federer that doesn't have a coach. Get it right.

Mrs. B
02-01-2004, 05:08 AM
Congrats Roger on your second Grand Slam!

and congrats to Marat for his comeback...

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

jtipson
02-01-2004, 05:10 AM
CONGRATS ROGER!

To do this without a coach, unbelievable! I don't think even the Federer fans expected this.

Nope, I didn't. It wasn't so much the lack of coach which worried me, but the horrible draw!

Congratulations to Roger - number one, second GS and many more to come!

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 05:10 AM
Safin tried his best but I think he was tired and Roger's returning scared him. Safin was returning great in the 1st set but as Roger pulled ahead Safin faded. I am shocked Roger won more points at net than Safin. Safin has done so much and will be fighting for the top spot this year with Roger.
Yeah, Safin tried, and he cared. He was just a little flat today. I'm sure it was a combination of Federer being such a formidable opponent, the occasion, and the 3000000003 games taking a toll on his body and mind.

Tremendous comeback for him, though. Who expected this, aside from his most erm, "devoted" ;) fans?

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 05:11 AM
Nope, I didn't. It wasn't so much the lack of coach which worried me, but the horrible draw!

Congratulations to Roger - number one, second GS and many more to come!
Indeed... that he was able to smash that draw to pieces is what really stands out to me. The fact he did it coachless is secondary. Incredible stuff :)

lsy
02-01-2004, 05:13 AM
I feel like it's Safin first serves that does damage to his confidence today and when Roger raises his level and have answers to most of what Safin can do or always make him play extra shots, there's sign from him that he just didn't think he can pull it through.

I was a bit disappointed by that coz he shows lots of fighting and mental calmness vs Andre. I don't know if it was more because Roger's play frustrated him or his terrible first serves or he simply didn't believe he can win after being taken off the 1st set during the match.

Nevertheless, Safin still played one of the best match I'd watched in this AO. So I hope I will continue to see him more.

And Rogi, too good!!!

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 05:13 AM
What makes you think Agassi would have made Federer work much harder? I'll take that and raise you a Houston Final that tells me otherwise :)

As for Safin not having a coach - I'm sorry, what? It's Federer that doesn't have a coach. Get it right.
good point... but roger was a hired vegas magician in that match against agassi :haha:

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 05:17 AM
Despite the fact that I've been rooting for his opponent for the last several matches (blame the draw! I didn't ask for my favourite to be lined up and knocked off by him one by one!)... I did enjoy seeing him win. It wasn't a great match, I was rooting for Safin, but Federer really earned it this fotnight. So hats off to him!

And Fed fans... no hard feelings ;)

JeLuliA88
02-01-2004, 05:20 AM
Congrats to Federer on playing a great match, but it's a little disappointing to see Safin lose when he had been playing so well for the whole tournament... and like Marat said himself, he just 'ran out of gas'... and couldn't buy a first serve even if he wanted to.

Well, now that Federer has won the aus open, he's taken his tally of grand slams to 2 and leads the 'new balls generation'...

J. Corwin
02-01-2004, 05:22 AM
Marat came out flat and just started to fade away after the 1st set. Roger did his brilliant play and it was more than enough to beat him. Congrats to the Fed. Very well deserved.

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 05:23 AM
The question with Fed now is less how many slams he can win overall, but how many he can win this year alone?

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 05:26 AM
Indeed... that he was able to smash that draw to pieces is what really stands out to me. The fact he did it coachless is secondary. Incredible stuff :)
and on rebound ace... which really doesn't suit his game... i couldn't be more impressed, actually.

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 05:27 AM
The question with Fed now is less how many slams he can win overall, but how many he can win this year alone?
should be interesting... and i'm not saying anything... but theres something "golden" about this year, as well...

i'll leave this up to interpretation...

Tennis Fool
02-01-2004, 05:27 AM
Almost a Sampras-like question :o

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 05:28 AM
should be interesting... and i'm not saying anything... but theres something "golden" about this year, as well...

i'll leave this up to interpretation...
It will be interesting to see what he does at Roland Garros, given his last couple years there. I think RG will be the hardest slam for him to win... not the USO. But we'll see ;)

If both Fed and Safin are 100%, I have a hard time seeing Ferrero repeating there. We'll see :p

Tennis Fool
02-01-2004, 05:29 AM
I'd be okay if Fed took French and Wimbledon, Marat took USO and all of the Masters events :D

Tennis Fool
02-01-2004, 05:31 AM
Question: Of all the New Balls competing, do you think Guga and Roddick have a chance (seriously).

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 05:33 AM
I'd be okay if Fed took French and Wimbledon, Marat took USO and all of the Masters events :D
As long as Ferrero can have Monte Carlo and the Olympics ;)

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 05:33 AM
It will be interesting to see what he does at Roland Garros, given his last couple years there. I think RG will be the hardest slam for him to win... not the USO. But we'll see ;)

If both Fed and Safin are 100%, I have a hard time seeing Ferrero repeating there. We'll see :p
i've always said that the uso was his second likeliest slam tournament to win... it just so happens that the aus is first in the year. he's had "solid" results at the us open, but no breakthrough whatsoever.

as for ferrero at the french-- if HE AND the rest of the field are 100%, i can still visualize him making quite a strong statement and maybe winning. his game is formidable on the red clay, and it will be difficult for anyone to beat him even if they are at their absolute best. i, of course, would hope for federer to win, but i like roger's chances better at the us open against the likes to marat, andy, agassi, nalby... as opposed to his chances against ferrero at the french.

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 05:34 AM
Question: Of all the New Balls competing, do you think Guga and Roddick have a chance (seriously).
Roddick will always have a chance on American Hardcourt, imo. Last year was no fluke. He may or may not win it again, but that USO title was going to come sooner or later.

As for Guga... I hate to write off a great champ, but he's really never been the same since his hip surgery. All the best to him, though. I'd love to see him in the top 10 again.

RogiFan88
02-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Dirk, that was a good call on the match. But, I don't think Marat was tired. From what I saw in the Agassi match and what his trainer said, I think Marat has the physical goods. I don't think he's the mental midget he used to be, either. I think he was confounded and perplexed by Roger's game. He's in serious need of a coach/strategist and he needs to watch Roger's matches, especially this final, until he pukes. Then I hope he mounts a real challenge to Roger. He's more than capable. But, now it's time for the real work to begin. The honeymoon is over.

Speaking of coaches, I think Roger shut up a few critics. :D

ONly Rogi could frustrate Marat like that... Pandy and AA tried but Maratski was tenacious and mentally strong and played very well... too bad... I just hope he doesn't go into another depression cos Rogi beat him again [last time it was TMS Hamburg02].

Marat did phenomenally well considering everything... he s be proud of himself.

Yay Marat's back!!

Yeah, Rogi sure did shut up his critics, so take that Pat Trash... and stuff it...

Still pissed off about not seeing any trophy ceremonies this slam... just cos no Amers were there to receive them :rolleyes:

WyverN
02-01-2004, 05:45 AM

USO suits his game far more then rebound ace so can't rule him out there.

Will be huge favourite going into Wimbledon

Can't see him winning French this year but even if he makes quarters there he should be pleased with his improvement.

Lets not forget his 12 match winning streak at the moment

Tennis Fool
02-01-2004, 05:45 AM
What did Pat Cash say about Roger :confused:

tangerine_dream
02-01-2004, 05:48 AM

Well, if you'll recall, it was first Houston match they played that ended up being the most competitive of the entire tourny. Nobody else got closer to Fed that week than Agassi. ;)

And I think Agassi would've made Fed work harder because 1) he doesn't get distracted the way Safin does, and even if he does, he zones back in again. With Safin, once he flakes out, he's gone. 2) Agassi's also in better shape than Safin, who played the most games of anybody this tournmanet and finally ran out of gas, even after having some rest before the final. By the time Fed got to him, he was physically and mentally spent. Somebody hung a "Gone On Vacation" sign on Marat's back. ;) 3) Strategizing. Agassi can think on his feet and is willing to change his game plan when he sees something's not working, but Safin wasn't doing much of either during this final. This is just what from I've observed in tonight's match.

:tape:

WyverN
02-01-2004, 05:48 AM
What did Pat Cash say about Roger :confused:

Basically what a huge mistake it was to go coachless and how this will just make Roger waste his talent and how it is all Mirka's fault. Implied the coach decision was made somewhere on a beach during his vacation without any thought about the consequences

andylover_16
02-01-2004, 05:50 AM
congratulations Federer...:worship:

and you too Marat for making it to the finals:)...great comeback

WyverN
02-01-2004, 05:51 AM
Strategizing. Agassi can think on his feet and is willing to change his game plan when he sees something's not working, but Safin wasn't doing much of either during this final.

Agassi's main flaw is that he doesn't have a back up plan. He keeps playing percentages for example assuming that the opponent will not start hitting their backhand down the line on a regular basis.

As soon as Andre is being outplayed at his own game like he was in the semi and during Houston by Federer there is usually not much he can do.

tangerine_dream
02-01-2004, 06:08 AM
As soon as Andre is being outplayed at his own game like he was in the semi and during Houston by Federer there is usually not much he can do.

He was also getting steamrolled by Ferrero at Houston by playing his percentage game. Finally, he smashed a racket in frustration and decided to hell with it; go for the winners instead. Once he did that, the match turned in his favor and he won.

Raoul Duke
02-01-2004, 06:33 AM
I feel like it's Safin first serves that does damage to his confidence today and when Roger raises his level and have answers to most of what Safin can do or always make him play extra shots, there's sign from him that he just didn't think he can pull it through.

I was a bit disappointed by that coz he shows lots of fighting and mental calmness vs Andre. I don't know if it was more because Roger's play frustrated him or his terrible first serves or he simply didn't believe he can win after being taken off the 1st set during the match.

Nevertheless, Safin still played one of the best match I'd watched in this AO. So I hope I will continue to see him more.

And Rogi, too good!!!

I agree with everything in this post and I honestly think that Safin's only chance today would have been not to try and force the play as often as he actually did....instead be very very patient. He probably didn't have the movement or the energy to execute that style today but the fact is that for most of this tournament Federer have been somewhat more hot and cold, so to speak, than Safin has. Safin who has defended superbly this tourney should have tried and taken advantage of that but again he probably didn't have the energy.
When these two meet it's not really about clean winners because of the way they both handle the opponents game, you just won't get a lot of good looks for clean winners and the serve is not really THE deciding factor either. They almost neutralize eachother on this surface.

Federer had the ability and intelligence to play the match on those terms. Safin unfortunately didn't....

It's gonna be very interesting to see what their matches are going to be like in the future.

CooCooCachoo
02-01-2004, 06:46 AM
Way to go Roger! I haven't seen anything of the match yet (I was sleeping ;)), but I am very happy with Roger winning. He is, out of the top 10 players, the most complete player and one of the nicest guys on Tour as well. Winning one GS was already a major accomplishment, but winning the AO, without having had any real trouble in doing so, is even bigger. In my opinion, he deserves that #1 title, and I think he can hold on to it a bit longer.

jmp
02-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool, I'm with Queen on this one with one addition. The trait that most interests me about Andy is how he is driven to improve himself. If there is any way for him to adjust his style and tactics to remain at the top, he's going to do it. Now, is it physically and mentally possible?

On the other hand, is Marat capable of adapting to this new environment? That doesn't seem readily apparent to me at this point. I'm anxious to see how the year unfolds.

oxy
02-01-2004, 12:15 PM
talking about roger, marat, andy, juan carlos......what about lleyton??? is he still a force to reckon with?? honestly i feel he is the less talented and powerful among these new balls...but when he does produce....he can be quite a terror cos of his will power, determination n fast legs....what do u guys think???

Experimentee
02-01-2004, 12:16 PM
The match didnt live up to expectations. Marat was clearly exhausted after he lost the 1st set, it was just horrible from him, most of his 1st serves werent going in, and as his match went on, more and more groundstrokes started missing. Federer didnt play his best, but lifted at the right times and did what he had to do. If it had been Andre I'm sure it would have been a much closer match.

Experimentee
02-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Basically what a huge mistake it was to go coachless and how this will just make Roger waste his talent and how it is all Mirka's fault. Implied the coach decision was made somewhere on a beach during his vacation without any thought about the consequences

He also predicted that Federer would lose early in the AO without a coach :tape:

Doris Loeffel
02-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Well concrats Roger you proved the whole world once again what a grat player you are. You didn't play your best tennis (maybe becouse you haven't been forced too) but still won - fact you have been accused of not beeing able to do not that long ago and winning the whole thing without a coach!¨

Keep surprising us so positiv Roger!!

jmp
02-01-2004, 12:34 PM
I agree on Lleyton, oxy. As long as his legs and will hold up, I think he's still a big part of the equation. I expected him to roar in USO '03. I thought he was getting his spark back then. I think he controlled the things he could have at the USO...

I've read a lot of posts about how Andre would have produced a better final against Roger. I can't comment on what that final would have looked like. But, I can say that I personally preferred the anticipation of this match up and I am thoroughly looking forward to some new and exciting match ups throughout the year because Marat is back.

Conchon
02-01-2004, 12:44 PM
:bigclap: to Marat for making it this far.

It was obvious to me that he was flat. As a result, his largest weapon, his serve, disintegrated. Eventually, so too did his groundies.

However, this isn't to take away from Roger, who played great. He kept his level of play and managed to perplex Marat. :)

lsy
02-01-2004, 04:10 PM
And Fed fans... no hard feelings ;)

No Fed fans at this moment can remember anything negative Rebecca :p

Shy
02-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Fun facts
Federer's Australian Open victory marks only the third time since 1987 (when the Australian Open moved to January) that a reigning year-end championship winner (Tennis Masters Cup or ATP Tour World Championship) has gone on to win the following year's Australian Open. Boris Becker won the 1995 ATP Tour World Championship and then the 1996 Australian Open, and Pete Sampras claimed the 1996 ATP Tour World Championship, before going on to win the 1997 Australian Open.

As the reigning Wimbledon champion, Federer is the first player since Pete Sampras to win Wimbledon one year and the Australian Open the next. Pete Sampras won his first Wimbledon crown in 1993 and went on to claim his first of two Australian Open titles in 1994.

Ace
02-01-2004, 04:51 PM
I find it fascinating how roger seems able to utterly neutralize power players and ultimately outpower them.

Last year at wimbledon the games biggest servers, Roddick and Phillopousis were serving the house down launching record numbers of aces,yet when they played Roger they were both out aced and utterly outserved.

The same thing happened again today against Marat.

Is this a combination of luck or all down to rogers genius?

RogiFan88
02-01-2004, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't say Rogi outpowered anyone... Marat has far more power and strength due to his physique... Rogi outsmarts the other players. Marat is also a very smart player. Rogi is an instinctive player -- he was born to play tennis... it's very natural for him.

Marat gave it all he could under the circumstances...

Lady
02-01-2004, 10:21 PM
I think Marat had pretty good game plan for the match, he executed it quite well in the 1st set. Only unforced errors were standing in his way!
The sad thing was is that Marat couldn't get his 1st serve in to save his life! ;)

I liked the way Marat returned Rogi's serve in the 1st set!

Still Roger was able to lift his level when he needed too, he had a really hard draw, so all props to him! :)

Congrats to both men on wonderful tournament! :worship: