Martín to complete new DC team! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Martín to complete new DC team!

propi
01-31-2004, 06:51 PM
http://www.marca.com/edicion/noticia/0,2458,441193,00.html

A EXPENSAS DEL ESTADO FÍSICO DE JUAN CARLOS FERRERO
'Beto' Martín viajará a Brno con el equipo de Copa Davis
'Beto' Martín viajará a Brno con el equipo español de Copa Davis para afrontar la eliminatoria contra la República Checa (6 al 8 de febrero), a la espera de lo que pase con Ferrero que llega de Australia tocado fisicamente.

El de Onteniente, que alcanzó las semifinales en el Open de Australia a pesar de arrastrar una lesión, no descarta el viajar a Brno, una vez se reponga del viaje desde Melbourne.

La expedición estará formada por el 'G-3', el doctor del equipo Angel Ruiz Cotorro, el delegado, Alberto Riba, y los jugadores Rafael Nadal, Tommy Robredo, Feliciano López y 'Beto' Martín.

Basically it says Beto will travel to Brno with the Spanish team to play the tie against Czechs while it's waited the decision Ferrero takes... after reaching semis in AUS Open Ferrero hasn't dismissed travelin to Brno once he recovers from the journey. The expedition will be the doctor, the delegate and Nadal, Tommy, Feli and Beto.

The least we can say it's a brave decision :bigclap: ;)
let's hope it works, but they all are so young and unexperienced... on the other hand they have prooved their talent... just let's wait for this great tie ;)

star
01-31-2004, 07:18 PM
I hope Juan Carlos is well enough to play.

nitsansh
01-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Why Albert Costa is out of the team?

Leo
01-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Martin over Costa? What the hell?

jrm
01-31-2004, 11:17 PM
Not sure about the line-up ... this year Spain has a great chance to win DC with both Australia and USA matches would be played on clay in Spain.

TheBoiledEgg
01-31-2004, 11:52 PM
wtf playing Beto indoors :rolleyes:
I'd go with Corretja, Nadal and Lopez

TheBoiledEgg
01-31-2004, 11:53 PM
looking on bright side, Spain might get to play GBR in play-offs in September and then see Henman get his ass kicked well and proper and made more fun out of by the British Media :haha:

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 01:39 AM
looking on bright side, Spain might get to play GBR in play-offs in September and then see Henman get his ass kicked well and proper and made more fun out of by the British Media :haha:
Oh, TBE. I'll have you know that Lopez and Nadal will lead Spain to victory ;) ;)

TennisLurker
02-01-2004, 01:48 AM
Beto Martin indoors?????

Corretja had good results in St Petersburg last year, and he didnt completely ming in Australia, I would take him over Beto.

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 03:50 AM
If I recall correctly, Corretja told them he didn't want to play DC this year. He wants to focus on getting his singles ranking back to double digits ;)

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 03:52 AM
I have to admit... after I found out that MOya and Ferrero were questionable, I paid a peanut down on Team Jiri to take it. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Although I don't see Lopez beating Novak, I think that Nadal might have a shot, if they play him (so much for being eased on to the team through doubles, huh?).

CooCooCachoo
02-01-2004, 09:51 AM
This is very weird.. Why put Martín in the Spanish Davis Cup team, when there are so many better players you can choose from. Heck, even someone like Cuadrado would do better.

It's almost as weird as the Forget's decision to not select Santoro.

Experimentee
02-01-2004, 02:15 PM
This is shocking, Martin hasnt even been havig good results lately on a surface he usually does well on, so why play him indoors? They should have put Nadal, Lopez, Robredo, Costa or even Corretja over Martin for singles.

CooCooCachoo
02-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Oh well.. for Martín this will be a once in a lifetime (hopefully anyways) experience.. on the bench?!

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 08:38 PM
I assume that they went by the rankings to pick Martin. I read that Costa didn't want to play unless he was promised a singles spot.

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2004, 08:39 PM
I assume that they went by the rankings to pick Martin. I read that Costa didn't want to play unless he was promised a singles spot.
(I have no idea what the deal with Mantilla was)

Action Jackson
02-02-2004, 05:14 AM
As I said earlier in another post Rebecca, Mantilla has a problem with pain in the achilles area and he won't play until Buenos Aires.

propi
02-02-2004, 06:26 AM
(I have no idea what the deal with Mantilla was)
Costa was too pissed after not playing DC final and told Team is not a priority anymore :o

nitsansh
02-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Going by ranking??
There are something like 8 players ahead of Martin...
how about David Sanchez?

CooCooCachoo
02-02-2004, 05:58 PM

What coach would pick based on the rankings? This is absolutely ridiculous!