Tingu
01-31-2004, 04:35 AM
yeh it was a good match !!!! :D

Leo
01-31-2004, 04:36 AM
Finally a good Belgian final. :)

arcus
01-31-2004, 04:37 AM
ive never seen one player get so many consequtive bad calls go his/her way.
I used to love to watch JH, but as time goes on, I like her less and less......
I cant helpp hating her for prompting and sucking up all those bad calls. shame on her

Sharon
01-31-2004, 04:38 AM
It was a good belgian match finally, just those 4 line calls on VERY crucial points changed it all... i cant believe an umpire can over rule a ball that was IN at that stage of the match...

Rtael
01-31-2004, 04:39 AM
ive never seen one player get so many consequtive bad calls go his/her way.
I used to love to watch JH, but as time goes on, I like her less and less......
I cant helpp hating her for prompting and sucking up all those bad calls. shame on her

:cuckoo:

jmp
01-31-2004, 04:39 AM
There was some controversy. But, once again, Justine stepped up to the plate for her 3rd major. Well done!! :D :D

Flora3892
01-31-2004, 04:41 AM
Henin's finger DEFINITELY influenced that line call that the umpire overruled!!!! God i thought Clijsters had a REAL chance if all the close calls didn't go AGAINST her! (and it just so happens ALL of those points went against clijsters on crucial points? what's up with that??)

Deboogle!.
01-31-2004, 04:41 AM
Very disappointing, I wish they would look at all these bad calls (this tournament, especially from the 4th rnd/QF on has been particularly atrocious) and do something about it. It's changing matches and since the technology is there, I think it should be explored.

Flora3892
01-31-2004, 04:42 AM
totally agree!

Rosa Luxembourg
01-31-2004, 04:46 AM
I guess, it's Justine's fault that there were bad calls. some of them were on Kim's part of the court. and as for finger, remember Kim was trying to do the same in the first set: TO INFLUENCE A CALL.

ive never seen one player get so many consequtive bad calls go his/her way. I used to love to watch JH, but as time goes on, I like her less and less......I cant helpp hating her for prompting and sucking up all those bad calls. shame on her

most idiotic post I've seen here in a long time. :rolleyes:

arcus
01-31-2004, 04:47 AM
In fairness, some people didnt see the final on ESPN with "shot spot" technology showing how bad the calls were. It was one of the few good things about ESPN coverage.

Com'on ATP/WTA make shotspot available for all close umpire decisions.This umpire might be a good person but she screwed up totally in this match. bad calls in this match mattered. groan.

-caelestia-
01-31-2004, 04:49 AM
Pick your excuse :p, she's still the winner.

I almost had a heart attack at 4-2 in the second and 4-0 in the third (I thought she was going to outdo Kim for biggest choke at the AO...she still may have).

Congrats to Kim for playing a great match as well :D and really really made a match of it (no more talk of not showing up on finals day).

Too bad there weren't more games where both players were playing at their best. So many momentum shifts and runs where one player would go off the boil and the other won would win a whole bunch of games :eek:

trixy
01-31-2004, 04:49 AM
God what was up with Sandra De Jenkin today?? She made an incorrect over rule on the first point of the match and it only got worse from there. One only has to think what would have happened if she hadn't over-ruled on that crucial break point in the 3rd.

Anyway i'll stop sulking now. Congratulations to Justine. She's become only the 9th women in the open era to hold 3 grand slam titles at the same time and that is something to appauld and Kim well at least you got a set this time.

Winston's Human
01-31-2004, 04:50 AM
I guess all the talk about professional umpires is just talk.

J. Corwin
01-31-2004, 04:51 AM
I'm very disgusted with those horrible calls and overrules on huge points. The chair ump should like at shotspot afterwards and feel ashamed of herself.

Leena
I love watching Justine so much.

I love her game, I love her attitude, I love her confidence.

I'm a Justine fan... but she did bait the ump into overruling that call... and I believe Justine knew it was in, also. Her reaction after that was fucking awesome, too.

Justine is like the ultimate bad girl. I love her so much.

arcus
SF henin got 2 flagrantly bad calls in her favor.......
shot spot showed it clear as day. 5 clearly wrong calls in a row. i think my post was justified. Not henin fault, except that she pressed for decisions in her favor when she had really lost the point

And to be clear, I was a big henin fan, but thats wavering now.

Deboogle!.
01-31-2004, 04:52 AM
well even the ESPN commentators felt that Justine influenced that call. That overrule should not have happened, period.

Yes the match is over, Justine won, congrats to her, but serious mistakes were made in that match and since the technology exists to avoid them, I think it's tragic if such avenues are not at least explored.

Leo
01-31-2004, 04:53 AM
Henin's finger DEFINITELY influenced that line call that the umpire overruled!!!!

I doubt that. Sandra de Jenkin has a mind of her own and I believe she honestly though the ball was out. So did I, until I saw ShotSpot.

KarstenBraasch#1
01-31-2004, 04:55 AM
I don't believe in this "shot spot" or hawkeye shit.

Justine choked but still was the better player because Kim choked the whole match.

Aeroboy
Congrats Justine, another major accomplishment ritted with controversy:

Not to re-hash...Okay, yeah to rehash...

Everyone know about the French Open, and the comments she and her coach made after the match, about how Justine would have given a second serve to anyone but Serena, during the hand incident.

Besides, she also just a poor sport.

How many times a match does she yell "Aleiz" or cheer at her opponents unforced errors. She just doesn't have good tennis etiquette. Thats just rude.

Her several accusations of other players faking injuries is also not appropriate, especially when she is known for taking injury timeouts after dropping the second set.

She makes me sick.

arcus
Wheres john McEnroe when u finally need him?

spec7er
01-31-2004, 04:56 AM
it was close call, and the umpire shouldn't have overruled since it was break point and a very crucial point in the match...

I wanted Kim to win this one. She's getting closer to that first slam of hers. I hope she gets it next time!

Flora3892
01-31-2004, 04:58 AM
I guess, it's Justine's fault that there were bad calls. some of them were on Kim's part of the court. and as for finger, remember Kim was trying to do the same in the first set: TO INFLUENCE A CALL.

well that maybe be true, but according to ESPN's shot spot, the ball kim said was out WAS OUT, but Henin's was not... obviously henin didn't even see it clearly but she put up her finger anywayz! too late now, she won. good fight kim!! :angel:

Leena
Justine is a B*tch. Lets admit it.

Yep, she's Queen Bitch.

Besides, she also just a poor sport. How many times a match does she yell "Aleiz" or cheer at her opponents unforced errors. She just doesn't have good tennis etiquette. Her several accusations of other players faking injuries is also not appropriate, especially when she is known for taking injury timeouts after dropping the second set.

She gives you so many reasons to hate her...

I only love her because I'm psycho.

Leo
Very disappointing, I wish they would look at all these bad calls (this tournament, especially from the 4th rnd/QF on has been particularly atrocious) and do something about it. It's changing matches and since the technology is there, I think it should be explored.

It will be in time, but several things have to happen before then.

First of all, if a Grand Slam event is going to use such technology, it needs to be available to ALL players on ALL courts, to be 100% fair. Otherwise, the players chosen for the major show courts (i.e. the Americans in the US Open, French at Roland Garros, etc.) would get an unfair advantage. And, let's face it, that costs alot of money. Maybe the money at Majors should be going towards getting ShotSpot installed on all courts instead of putting up roofs? Possibly.

Another problem is that ShotSpot has been proven incorrect a couple of times. Remember that James Blake call last summer? There's still a few glitches that need to be worked out in the system.

Rosa Luxembourg
professional chair umpires ARE TRAINED not to get influenced by players. also, did you see how close those calls were? players try to influence calls all the time (just like Kim tried to do in the 1st set).

and Justine pressed only once (so don't lie), last call, which BARELY touched the line. besides, I have recorded it, watched it again and saw that Sandra overruled even before Justine put her hand up. btw, only one bad call was OBVIOUSLY bad. (in the first set).

Leo
01-31-2004, 05:00 AM
Congrats Justine, another major accomplishment ritted with controversy:

Everyone know about the French Open, and the comments she and her coach made after the match, about how Justine would have given a second serve to anyone but Serena, during the hand incident.

Besides, she also just a poor sport. How many times a match does she yell "Aleiz" or cheer at her opponents unforced errors. She just doesn't have good tennis etiquette. Her several accusations of other players faking injuries is also not appropriate, especially when she is known for taking injury timeouts after dropping the second set.

This was what I was afraid of. So sad. Thankfully we can avoid this in the men's game.

And btw, it's "Allez."

darnyelb
01-31-2004, 05:01 AM
Poor Kimmy. Someones needs to hold her. *volunteering*

Those line calls were atrocious. I love Justine, but man, I'll never believe she was the outright winner of this championship. Yes Kim had her cringe-worthy moments, but she was well on her way to un-choking until that crummy overrule!

Shy
01-31-2004, 05:02 AM
This girl will never get any credit for winning a slam, is she?

Tipsarevic
01-31-2004, 05:03 AM
God what was up with Sandra De Jenkin today?? She made an incorrect over rule on the first point of the match and it only got worse from there. One only has to think what would have happened if she hadn't over-ruled on that crucial break point in the 3rd.

Anyway i'll stop sulking now. Congratulations to Justine. She's become only the 9th women in the open era to hold 3 grand slam titles at the same time and that is something to appauld and Kim well at least you got a set this time.
I'm so mad @ ESPN... the couldn't be bothered to mention that Monica Seles TWICE held 3 of 4 Grand Slam titles. :mad: :fiery: It's not like 1991 and 1992 and 1993 were that long ago. :rolleyes:

tennisvideos
01-31-2004, 05:03 AM
Wheres john McEnroe when u finally need him?

John McEnroe was commentating here in Oz on channel 7 and of course he was horrified with the umpires overrule at 4-3 in the final set! Throughout the week he has been pretty disgusted with some of the calls, many of which have proven incorrect esp going against Hewitt v Federer, going against Safin v Agassi and today going against Kim.

McEnroe thinks that technology should be used to overcome this issue which MAY be influencing the outcome of matches.

Deboogle!.
01-31-2004, 05:05 AM
She gets credit for winning, it's not her fault. But I still don't think she's the best sportsman.

It just brings up the question of what should be done.... and clearly, something should be done.

This isn't the only match this tournament where the calls have been just ridiculous. Andy got about 5-7 bad calls during the Safin match and Kim got a couple of pretty bad calls during her SF, and these are just ones I'm remembering at the top of my head and that I saw with my own eyes.

Aeroboy
01-31-2004, 05:05 AM
professional chair umpires ARE TRAINED not to get influenced by players.

Ha Ha....that dosent mean it dosen't happen.

Last time I checked. Chair Umpires were trained to overrule blatantly wrong calls, and help to increase fairness in a match. This chair ump screwed up. Whether she intended to or not, she impacted the match. Exactally what shes not suposed to do.

The point is : The ball WAS in. It wasn't colse to being in, IT WAS IN. the Ump F'ed up.

MisterQ
01-31-2004, 05:06 AM
I rarely complain about bad calls, but bad OVERRULES really get on my nerves.

Justine might have won anyway. She and Kim were playing fairly equally toward the end. This hurts both of them --- Clijsters for obvious reasons, and Justine because I'm sure she would want a fair win.

Oh well, it's not the first time something like this has happened.

Rosa Luxembourg
and speaking of bad calls, remember Lisa Raymond getting tons of them when she played against Patty... do you hate Patty too? Agassi? Federer?

Leena
I like how Justine threw in some "Allez! Come on!".

Even more annoying... keep pissing off the haters, Justine. :)

trixy
01-31-2004, 05:08 AM
I don't like Justine much but I wouldn't call her a bitch. I mean she's really determined out there on court and I suppose maybe Kim could do with a little bit more of that killer instict that she has. Off court she's quite nice well she was when I saw her practing and stuff in Sydney.

Rosa Luxembourg
01-31-2004, 05:08 AM
Ha Ha....that dosent mean it dosen't happen.

Last time I checked. Chair Umpires were trained to overrule blatantly wrong calls, and help to increase fairness in a match. This chair ump screwed up. Whether she intended to or not, she impacted the match. Exactally what shes not suposed to do.

The point is : The ball WAS in. It wasn't colse to being in, IT WAS IN. the Ump F'ed up.

haha

and how is it Justine's fault that umpire didn't do her job? :rolleyes:

darnyelb
01-31-2004, 05:09 AM
In a way, I'm a little glad that if Kim had to lose, it was in this way, since she KNOWS she could've won that match. And that perhaps, the outcome was beyond her control.

It may not be true, but I can see Kim Clijsters not being that down on herself because of those bad line calls.

KarstenBraasch#1
01-31-2004, 05:09 AM
People, even if the ball was in (which I doubt) - it wouldn't have made a difference.
Kim clearly showed that she wasn't able to hold serve by serving DF's at her two game-points.
And no need to play that volley as hard as possible. She deserved to lose that game.

Leo
01-31-2004, 05:12 AM
I like how Justine threw in some "Allez! Come on!".

Even more annoying... keep pissing off the haters, Justine. :)

I agree! I thought that was some awesomely strategic gamesmanship on her part. I'm sure Lleyton wasn't too pleased, either. :lol:

Rosa Luxembourg
01-31-2004, 05:12 AM
great post, [dana]

Leo
01-31-2004, 05:14 AM
People, even if the ball was in (which I doubt) - it wouldn't have made a difference.
Kim clearly showed that she wasn't able to hold serve by serving DF's at her two game-points.
And no need to play that volley as hard as possible. She deserved to lose that game.

I wouldn't say she "deserved" lose that game, but Clijsters clearly misplayed that volley, and the entire game, for that matter. I don't think this overrule makes a difference in the outcome, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

Deboogle!.
01-31-2004, 05:15 AM
It may not be true, but I can see Kim Clijsters not being that down on herself because of those bad line calls.

Well I hope not because she made a couple of GREAT comebacks and has a lot to be proud of. This is my political side coming through but if I were her, I'd get a group of players together and start a movement to get ShotSpot used in Grand Slams, might as well use the experience to bring forth something good.

Aurora
01-31-2004, 05:18 AM
I don't think Kim was that close, the amount of errors was too big, both players could almost never get 2 winners in a row going, kinda sad. Kim was overhitting under pressure, not making right shot choices and she has work to do in the future.

Leena
01-31-2004, 05:20 AM
About this "Shot Spot"... how does it work?

spec7er
01-31-2004, 05:23 AM
Is shotspot the one where they show a simulation of where the ball landed and it shows a mark where it landed?

arcus
01-31-2004, 05:27 AM
I'm so mad @ ESPN... the couldn't be bothered to mention that Monica Seles TWICE held 3 of 4 Grand Slam titles. :mad: :fiery: It's not like 1991 and 1992 and 1993 were that long ago. :rolleyes:

i wondered about that.
Seems like noone wanted to mention seles.

all the talk about injuries and players that werent playin in aus, and pam and mary-jo didnt say monica at all.

I wonder if they know she aint ever returning and know she doesnt want to be talked about on TV, so they're trying to be respectful?

Freijke--> Kim 4ever
01-31-2004, 05:33 AM
That ball at *3/4 40/A was in! They showed a replay, and you see very clear that the ball was in or on the line but definitly not out!!!

Rosa Luxembourg
01-31-2004, 05:38 AM
we know that... but it barely touched outside the line

MisterQ
01-31-2004, 05:39 AM
Is shotspot the one where they show a simulation of where the ball landed and it shows a mark where it landed?

Yes, that's it.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:44 AM
Gee, I'd hate to see some of you die of bitterness. I have a feeling that some of you already have :sad:

Anybody who blames Justine for this is being an idiot. Plain and simple. Grow up people, it's just tennis.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:46 AM
She gets credit for winning, it's not her fault. But I still don't think she's the best sportsman.

It just brings up the question of what should be done.... and clearly, something should be done.

This isn't the only match this tournament where the calls have been just ridiculous. Andy got about 5-7 bad calls during the Safin match and Kim got a couple of pretty bad calls during her SF, and these are just ones I'm remembering at the top of my head and that I saw with my own eyes.
The best sportsmen aren't always the best players :) I'm sure that Justine will gladly take all her trophy's over being more liked. Frankly, I respect her for that. She's not here to be loved, she's here to win. Serena is the same way, and although I'm not a fan of hers, I respect that quality in a champion.

MisterQ
01-31-2004, 05:46 AM
Amazing to think that JHH has as many slams now as Davenport and Capriati. And only one less than Venus and Arantxa! wow that happened quickly

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:47 AM
This girl will never get any credit for winning a slam, is she?
Nah, she's just been lucky. The second luckiest tennis player ever born; the first, of course, is Andy Roddick.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:48 AM
Amazing to think that JHH has as many slams now as Davenport and Capriati. And only one less than Venus and Arantxa! wow that happened quickly
*blink*

Oh look, she won another!

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:49 AM
That ball at *3/4 40/A was in! They showed a replay, and you see very clear that the ball was in or on the line but definitly not out!!!
Yeah, it was a bad judgement by the umpire.

But the match is over. That is, it doesn't matter anymore. YOu can sit here and cry about it for the next 6000 years, and NOTHING will change.

trixy
01-31-2004, 05:50 AM
Nah, she's just been lucky. The second luckiest tennis player ever born; the first, of course, is Andy Roddick.

:lol:

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:52 AM
Well I hope not because she made a couple of GREAT comebacks and has a lot to be proud of. This is my political side coming through but if I were her, I'd get a group of players together and start a movement to get ShotSpot used in Grand Slams, might as well use the experience to bring forth something good.
Technology may remove a good deal of the human error component in the outcome of linecalls, but I doubt it would be perfect either.

Fact is, that crappy linecalls have existed as long as the sport has. Kim got the short end of the stick today, but I'm not convinced that is what decided the match. And I'm not sure that leading some sort of revolt would do her any good either.

Ace Tracker
01-31-2004, 02:09 PM
Go Dom, Im with you in this one, the TV cameras had only one angle for that shot, the one from Clijsters's side of view and the umpire's for that matter, and from that point, that ball looked clearly out!! I was really surprised when hotspot showed the ball to have touched the outside line, but I wonder myself about the accuracy of that technology... The umpire said afterwards that she does not regret having made the overrule, and completely brushed aside the hotspot findings when she said that two other officials that were present in the court saluted her and agreed it was a good call...

Wojtek
01-31-2004, 02:14 PM
Congrats Justine!

jmp
01-31-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks for that opposing perspective on the umpire, the "call", and her colleagues, Ace Tracker. I wondered how her peers and the tennis establishment would view her performance.

Rtael
01-31-2004, 04:25 PM
:shrug: You people do realize this technology isn't perfect, right? For all you know that ball could actully have been out. I'm not saying the umpire's over-rule was right, I'm just saying you're not right either! :p

turt
01-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Nah, she's just been lucky. The second luckiest tennis player ever born; the first, of course, is Andy Roddick.;)
Yeah, she's won three out of the last 4 slams because of luck... Damned, she's the luckiest girl ever, why doesn't she just pick some numbers and win the lottery, so she shouldn't even have to spend time training on court and winning matches...
I guess some people will find a reason to diminish her accomplishments in every slam she'll win in the future! (hopefully she'll win many more!)

joske
01-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Henin's finger DEFINITELY influenced that line call that the umpire overruled!!!! God i thought Clijsters had a REAL chance if all the close calls didn't go AGAINST her! (and it just so happens ALL of those points went against clijsters on crucial points? what's up with that??)

Yeh I thought so too.. but Justine played just that little bit better.... But I SO would have wanted to see Kim winning this time, she's so much nicer and all... I too seem to have the feeling some1 else described somewhere: in the beginning I liked her A LOT but that feeling is fading faster and faster in the last year or so..
If the two meet in another Slam final in the future and Justine wins again I'm gonna SUE !!! :devil:

Shy
01-31-2004, 07:04 PM
Some people really do hate Justine. I found her game very pretty to watch. Right know, I think that Justine's game is better that Kim. I don't think that Justine actually need help to win a slam. She has enough talent.

tangerine_dream
01-31-2004, 07:08 PM
Kim got all the bad calls plus one annoying spectator who chose the most inopportune time (while she was serving) to start yelling out to her in french. Idiots! Poor Kim. :sad:

But not to take away from Justine's win because that girl is too good a player to make excuses. She's obviously worked hard over the off-season because her serve and forehand have gotten much more powerful. Is there a shot she can't make? :worship:

I just wish all the women would play as well as Kim and Justine, then I'd watch their matches with as much enthusiasm as I do the men's side.

Now all Justine needs is to win Wimbeldon and then she will have completed her Super Slam. Serena who? ;) :bounce:

joie
01-31-2004, 07:15 PM
congrats to JuJu- closet fan :D Try as i might, i have nothing but respect for someone with so much drive & ambitition and willing to work hard...but she will not win wimby..and that's all i will say on that :)

on those calls...i didn't see the match, i was at out and on my way home i called my mum for an update, and she told me Kim had 4 bad calls..anyway, from the replays of the match that i saw, what is most annoying about that last call, is justine calling it out, but whats new with justine?

Havok
01-31-2004, 07:30 PM
:yawn: Justine

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 07:38 PM
congrats to JuJu- closet fan :D Try as i might, i have nothing but respect for someone with so much drive & ambitition and willing to work hard...but she will not win wimby..and that's all i will say on that :)

on those calls...i didn't see the match, i was at out and on my way home i called my mum for an update, and she told me Kim had 4 bad calls..anyway, from the replays of the match that i saw, what is most annoying about that last call, is justine calling it out, but whats new with justine?
She wasn't supposed to ever win the US Open either :D

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 07:39 PM
As for Justine calling the ball out - Kim did the same thing earlier in the match. It's not Justine's fault that Kim didn't get an overrule :)

ANybody who blames Justine for doing what EVERY OTHER player does is a hypocrite who has thrown away any credibility they might have had ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Kim got all the bad calls plus one annoying spectator who chose the most inopportune time (while she was serving) to start yelling out to her in french. Idiots! Poor Kim. :sad:

But not to take away from Justine's win because that girl is too good a player to make excuses. She's obviously worked hard over the off-season because her serve and forehand have gotten much more powerful. Is there a shot she can't make? :worship:

I just wish all the women would play as well as Kim and Justine, then I'd watch their matches with as much enthusiasm as I do the men's side.

Now all Justine needs is to win Wimbeldon and then she will have completed her Super Slam. Serena who? ;) :bounce:
Oh yes - it was obviously a FRENCH spectator who yelled out. I bet Justine paid him, along with the FRENCH umpire. It's too bad that Kim didn't have a DUTCH umpire and DUTCH people in the crowd to yell at Justine in DUTCH. :sad:

dagmar7
01-31-2004, 07:43 PM
Congratulations to Justine Henin-Hardenne! A couple of years ago, how many people would have predicted that we would be looking at the possibility of Henin-Hardenne winning all four slams? Truly, an amazing achievement.

Also, congrats to both Kim and Justine for at last providing a compelling final. Although the quality wasn't great on both sides--despite flashes of brilliance--and although the officiating was pretty lousy, I was never sure of the winner until the match was over.

:worship:

Shy
01-31-2004, 07:43 PM
No, this is the girls who was suppose to never win a slam .Now everyone is eating their words.

Hurley
01-31-2004, 07:49 PM
As for Justine calling the ball out - Kim did the same thing earlier in the match. It's not Justine's fault that Kim didn't get an overrule :)

ANybody who blames Justine for doing what EVERY OTHER player does is a hypocrite who has thrown away any credibility they might have had ;)

NO! I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT THE GREAT KIM CLIJSTERS POINTED A BALL OUT! ONLY JUSTINE DOES THINGS LIKE THIS! ONLY JUSTINE! ONLY JUSTINE! DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE JUSTINE

:yawn:

JennyS
01-31-2004, 08:10 PM
I think Justine probably thought the ball really was out. Tons of players think balls that aren't out are out.

However, the chair umpire was wrong to overrule the shot. In the NFL, the referees need "indisputable visual evidence" to overrule a call with instant replay. Since it was so close, she shouldn't have overruled it.

Hurley
01-31-2004, 08:14 PM
I think Justine probably thought the ball really was out.

You mean like when THE GREAT KIM CLIJSTERS pointed a ball out earlier in THE SAME MATCH? Yes....probably!

Lady
01-31-2004, 08:14 PM
NO! I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT THE GREAT KIM CLIJSTERS POINTED A BALL OUT! ONLY JUSTINE DOES THINGS LIKE THIS! ONLY JUSTINE! ONLY JUSTINE! DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE JUSTINE

:yawn:

Yes, Justine is just a lucky girl who can get away with it ;)

Still celebrating tonight Justine win :banana:

BTW, where people found 4 calls (I maximum counted 2) :confused:

tennisIlove09
01-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Pick your excuse :p, she's still the winner.

I almost had a heart attack at 4-2 in the second and 4-0 in the third (I thought she was going to outdo Kim for biggest choke at the AO...she still may have).

Congrats to Kim for playing a great match as well :D and really really made a match of it (no more talk of not showing up on finals day).

Too bad there weren't more games where both players were playing at their best. So many momentum shifts and runs where one player would go off the boil and the other won would win a whole bunch of games :eek:

Kim doesn't hold the biggest choke of all time, sweetie. I'd put Hingis in that category against Jennifer.

joie
01-31-2004, 09:36 PM

shuddup rebecca :p I never said in my post that she's not "supposed" to win wimby (she has the perfect game these days to do so), i just said that she won't this year :D *yes, the same ole' delusional Venus fan that thinks she WILL win another slam :)

and on the calling the ball out, i can't stand it when others do it either, so i was just commenting that was the most annoying thing about it, not so much that is was obviously a bad call, as you have pointed out, it ain't the first and won't be the last bad line call..but its a good dig at someone who always seem to do something in one of her matches, to take away from the win ;) And its quite obvious she doesn't give a toss, which makes it even better & more annoying :D

Leo
01-31-2004, 09:36 PM
No, this is the girls who was suppose to never win a slam .Now everyone is eating their words.

Who ever said that Justine would never win a Slam? She was always a sure bet at Roland Garros.

Hurley
01-31-2004, 09:40 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040131/capt.mel12901312046.australian_open_womens_final_m el129.jpg

Belgium's Justine Henin-Hardenne involves herself in yet another controversial women's singles championship match, as, here, she is seen questioning a call which undoubtedly changed the match. This gesture surely influenced the umpire and led Henin-Hardenne to her third unearned Grand Slam title. Henin-Hardenne won the women's singles final against compatriot Kim Clijsters at the Australian Open in Melbourne, Australia, Saturday, Jan. 31, 2004. Henin-Hardenne won in three sets, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
(AP Photo/Steve Holland)

joie
01-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Who ever said that Justine would never win a Slam? She was always a sure bet at Roland Garros.

I was just about to respond to that- i have never heard anyone say that she would never win a slam...actually when i saw her first play and beat kournikova- and her comments after, i knew for sure she would be a great player and that was before she decided to improve her game.

Leo
01-31-2004, 09:42 PM
Kim doesn't hold the biggest choke of all time, sweetie. I'd put Hingis in that category against Jennifer.

Hingis' was far worse, I agree. I wouldn't call it the worst choke of all time, although it may very well be the worst choke in a Slam final. Fortunately for Martina, she still has those 5 other Major titles to fall back on. :)

One choke that I was really amazed by was Novatna losing from 5-0, 40-0 up in the final set against Rubin one year at RG. Nor can you forget Vera Zvonareva's collapse last year against Smashnova-Pistolesi (or did she change her name again? :rolleyes: ) from 6-0, 5-1 up. :eek:

Lady
01-31-2004, 09:46 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040131/capt.mel12901312046.australian_open_womens_final_m el129.jpg

Belgium's Justine Henin-Hardenne involves herself in yet another controversial women's singles championship match, as, here, she is seen questioning a call which undoubtedly changed the match. This gesture surely influenced the umpire and led Henin-Hardenne to her third unearned Grand Slam title. Henin-Hardenne won the women's singles final against compatriot Kim Clijsters at the Australian Open in Melbourne, Australia, Saturday, Jan. 31, 2004. Henin-Hardenne won in three sets, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
(AP Photo/Steve Holland)

:haha: :haha:
Thank you, Hurley :kiss: This is priceless :worship:

Please, don't forget to post it in the WTA World, when it comes back ;)

-caelestia-
01-31-2004, 10:00 PM

you're right, that was a bigger AO choke *eats crow*

let's just say I hope Justine never tries to usurp Martina in that regard ;)

vaiva
01-31-2004, 10:03 PM

(AP Photo/Steve Holland)

Eeew, Justine! What a shame :mad:

Miles away from the Classy Clijsters :angel:

J. Corwin
01-31-2004, 10:09 PM
priceless ;)

SanTaureau Fan
01-31-2004, 10:10 PM

Amen! It took 43 posts.

Like I said in the other thread, the ball was out anyway. I don't care about what the "shot spot" says, it's a view from above and a ball is not a cube!!! So a ball might seems slighly in when it's in fact out, it's just an illusion.

martinatreue
02-01-2004, 12:14 AM
omg i just finally saw the match and it looked out to me. The shot spot showed a SLIVER of the ball to touch. How in the hell are we supposed to know that this "Technology" is right? On many occasions in tennis this "helpful technology" has been wrong. I would not be surprised if that was a fake simulation anyways cause it appeared clearly long to me. Sandra De jenken did the best she can. It was very close and to me looked out. and yes kim was stupid to play the shot like that anyways. :rolleyes:

for-sure
02-01-2004, 12:19 AM
shot spot showed about 1-2% of the ball as "in". Justine and Sandra seemed BOTH pretty sure that the ball was out.
It's not like Kim would have won the match anyways...she served 2 double faults just to get back on serve *rolls eyes*

Ma. Estefania
02-01-2004, 12:47 AM
Congrats once again to Justine :worship: yeah, she deserves that smilie all the way....she could pull out a match that was getting tougher every time. :)

Yes, there were bad calls, I admit it, but well...this is how the sport is, isn't it? Unfortunately that sort of "curse" keeps surrounding Justine, but the good part is that she wins at last.....then I don't really care if she doesn't get recognition for her Slams...the point is that she won them.

About the sportsmanship, and blah blah blah....yes, she may not win that award, probably some "nice" :rolleyes: as Clijsters or some other will win it, but I don't care....at last who will remember those awards? :shrug: Justine will win more Grand Slams, while some "others" will keep winning the sportsmanship for being soooooo damn nice :devil:

fleemke²
02-02-2004, 06:53 PM
me = happy :D

Strange nobody is talking about the first break in the Kim-Patty match :rolleyes: Patty served an ace and it was VERY CLEAR! Her second serve went out ... well it was the same. Those umpires are human and do make mistakes ... and I'm not 100% sure that ball was in ;)

Justine keep it going that way :bounce: