Ferrero and Big servers!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ferrero and Big servers!!!

henree
01-30-2004, 03:52 PM
I really thought that the Ferrero/ Federer match would be a little more exciting, but like I guess Federer is the superior player. Ferrero has a real big problem with guys who serve big, and or with guys who place their serves well. Like in the Andy us open final, a lot of the serves he just didn't even try to return. He will never be a threat on any other surface but clay unless he starts to develop his return game.
Anyway I predicted Federer would win this whole thing, so now I can just sit back and enjoy the thrashing Safin will take in the Final. Federer will win comfortably in 3 sets...

drf716
01-30-2004, 03:56 PM
yeah right!

Aurora
01-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Agreed Ferrero's return isn't brilliant but you can't state he'll never be a threat, jeeeez, he IS one! He just reached final and semi in the last 2 gs, he can only win it to do better...

btw: and a thrashing will not happen!

propi
01-30-2004, 08:18 PM
When injured he doesn't play his best, you know ;)

faboozadoo15
01-30-2004, 08:27 PM
i disagree with the first and the last post... bc a)-- when isn't juan carlos complaining of an ailment or injury??? b) and i think he IS a threat-- look at how he made the uso final... beating agassi at his own game and holding his own until the aus semi's. when anyone runs into exceptional serving they have to adjust. ferrero is a good returner, but he needs to adjust better and anticipate better.

lalaland
01-30-2004, 09:13 PM
I really thought that the Ferrero/ Federer match would be a little more exciting, but like I guess Federer is the superior player. Ferrero has a real big problem with guys who serve big, and or with guys who place their serves well. Like in the Andy us open final, a lot of the serves he just didn't even try to return. He will never be a threat on any other surface but clay unless he starts to develop his return game.
Anyway I predicted Federer would win this whole thing, so now I can just sit back and enjoy the thrashing Safin will take in the Final. Federer will win comfortably in 3 sets...

He is #2 in the world without the ability to handle big servers? then I see a lot of upside on his game.

He will never be a threat on any surface but clay? Agassi used to think that way too perhaps? :p

Seriously though, Ferrero still has a lot of room for improvement that's for sure. Even Agassi thinks he needs to improve, and Andre is so great already.

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 11:20 PM
NIce post, lalaland.

If a guy who isn't a threat on hardcourts can reach the USO finals and win Madrid, I'd hate to see him when he actually gets good on surfaces other than clay :)

Ferrero is not the best on hardcourts. But he doesn't have to be. Roddick isn't the best on clay.. but he doesn't have to be.

So where is the problem exactly? ;)

Leo
01-30-2004, 11:54 PM
NIce post, lalaland.

If a guy who isn't a threat on hardcourts can reach the USO finals and win Madrid, I'd hate to see him when he actually gets good on surfaces other than clay :)

Ferrero is not the best on hardcourts. But he doesn't have to be. Roddick isn't the best on clay.. but he doesn't have to be.

So where is the problem exactly? ;)

The problem is that Federer can kick both their asses on all surfaces ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 12:09 AM
The problem is that Federer can kick both their asses on all surfaces ;)
Serious?

I haven't seen Ferrero at his best vs Federer at his best on clay.

And I'm sorry... but Rome? Was not Ferrer at "his best".

oxy
01-31-2004, 06:02 AM
seriously i hope that ferrero will fall in the rankings becos of injury n return in 2005 AO to defeat federer!!!!! heheheheheheheh ;)

dear juanqui needs a good rest!!!

J. Corwin
01-31-2004, 06:26 AM
Ferrero is great hardcourt player for someone that was labelled as a "claycourter".

lalaland
01-31-2004, 06:57 AM
Ferrero is great hardcourt player for someone that was labelled as a "claycourter".

It is true that he is the best hard court player among the claycourters based on his hard court result last year. And of course that means nothing as most of the claycourters aren't really good on hardcourt. So calling him a great hardcourter among the claycourters is not quite a compliment, which I don't think you meant it to be anyway. And calling him a claycourter is just ignorant, although I do know you aren't the one who put the label on him.

Once again, it is those reporters who asked him in every interview about how he felt playing on hard court or how he felt not getting the recognition as player who can play on hard court. All he does is answering them and putting up the results. So he's not the best hardcourter just yet, but his hardcourt result improved a lot recently and you can't say he's not trying. If he can't get the recognition until he wins a big hard court slam, so be it. No pain, no gain. In fact, he knows it, that's why he wants to win US Open. Even if you don't think he can do it one day, you have to admire his ambition, especially when we all know he is not as talented as someone like Federer and might have a real hard time beating him.

Johnny Mac once said he doesn't think Juan Carlos can succeed on hard court simply because he doesn't has the build for the concrete. He has a slight frame and plays a power game, hard court tends to tax his body a lot more than someone who has a great athletic body like Safin. Perhaps that is the reason why he has so many those minor injuries here and there, because those things do catch up on him. One can't control what they get from the nature. So as gifted as Federer, and Ferrero is just a little bit behind him in terms of result, that's not too shabby IMO.

Of course we all want our favorite to be as gifted as Federer or Safin, but if he isn't, we fans will just have to bite the bullet and take him as what he is.

Dirk
01-31-2004, 07:06 AM
This is bullshit. JC can return. He always beat Wayne Arthurs and he has beaten big servers before. Roger's serve is more about placement than speed. Seriously did anyone think JC would make the semis after the end of the 03 that he had? JC will win the Open some year. His agassi match though only 4 sets was much more riveting that that OZ match with Andy and El. People said the same thing about Guga EVEN AFTER HE BEAT PETE AND ANDRE BACK TO BACK AT CUP 00. JC can win every slam besides Wimbly. So leave this alone. He was the walking dead in his Open final. He didn't have half the energy he had with Andre the day before or the day before with Hewitt or the day before with Todd.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:58 PM
Ferrero does have problems with good servers. Otherwise, explain his loss to Chris Guccione? ;) Ivan Ljubicic on CLAY? ;)

TennisLurker
01-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Ferrero does have problems with big servers.

He can outplay Agassi or Hewitt from the baseline on hardcourts, but he doesnt have the return of serve to beat Dent or Roddick on a hardcourt.

jumi
01-31-2004, 08:12 PM
oh please :rolleyes:
his h2h with big servers are:
Dent: 1:1 (both matches on hard courts)
Roddick: 0:1 (what can u tell after just 1 match...?)
Ljubicic: 1:2 (he may have lost on clay, but has won their last meeting on...hard courts)
Philippoussis: 2:1
Federer: 3:3
so he IS capable of beating big servers (not only on clay,which may be weird for some of you). Even at this year's AO he beat Joachim Johansson, who definitely is a big server...

TennisLurker
01-31-2004, 08:58 PM
Those 2 victories over Phillippousis were on clay.

SaFed2005
01-31-2004, 11:51 PM
oh please :rolleyes:
his h2h with big servers are:
Dent: 1:1 (both matches on hard courts)
Roddick: 0:1 (what can u tell after just 1 match...?)
Ljubicic: 1:2 (he may have lost on clay, but has won their last meeting on...hard courts)
Philippoussis: 2:1
Federer: 3:3
so he IS capable of beating big servers (not only on clay,which may be weird for some of you). Even at this year's AO he beat Joachim Johansson, who definitely is a big server...

Federer is not a big server.......

lzhaol
02-01-2004, 02:46 AM
i think everybody will have problems playin big-servers...JC juz does not return as well as Agassi n if he did...He can do great damages on hardcourts...Look at how he outplayed Federer on serveral occasions at the OZ semis....

Nan Cu
02-01-2004, 02:53 AM
Look at how he outplayed Federer on serveral occasions at the OZ semis....

LOL. How old are you?

jumi
02-01-2004, 08:15 AM
Those 2 victories over Phillippousis were on clay.
so what...?sb's argument was that Ljubicic beat him on clay...so here's my argument:)

jumi
02-01-2004, 08:19 AM
oh,and if Federer is not a big server (which I actually consider him to be), here's one more stat:
Safin: 3:4 (and he beat him on hard once,which means that he can do it again)

jumi
02-01-2004, 08:22 AM
actually I do think that Ferrero has got some problems with big servers, but come on- everybody has...