2004 funny MARAT [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2004 funny MARAT

drf716
01-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Hands down, Marat is surely the most quotable and funny guy in tennis or maybe even in the whole sports entertainment business. His funny quotes are so many and I'm sure we'll have more of them this year ('cause he's BACK!)

drf716
01-30-2004, 03:06 PM
JOHNMcENROE: Marat Safin, that was an absolutely magnificent effort...yes...(cheers and applauses)...unbelievable. Can I say it's good to see you back where you belong at the end of major events?

MARATSAFIN: If you say so...(laughter)...that means, thanks, thanks a lot.

drf716
01-30-2004, 03:06 PM
JM: ...What have you gone through the last year, not being able to be in these big matches?

MS: I mean, I enjoyed my life so much so I start to miss tennis, actually. (laughter)

JM: Not too much, I hope.

MS: Too much maybe sometimes but that's why I'm playing so good. Maybe that's why I'm so good.

JM: Why is that?

MS: Because I was making a great life outside of the court and was really...(laughter)(or they were more like thinking of something else.)

JM: What exactly do you mean by that?

MS: Well, a little bit of fishing, a little bit of camping. (laughter) All these kind of things, you know, thats makes you think about life a little bit, what are you going to do in the court, what should we do, and how you have to improve your tennis. That's why I was, I went fishing to the mountains to think about the things. (laughter)

drf716
01-30-2004, 03:07 PM
JM: It should be an incredible encounter. Tell us how you see that match-up? (w/ Agassi)

SOMEONEinCROWD: He's got better hair.

JM: Yes, he does have better hair, that's right. Don't get Andre mad.

MS: I mean, let's be-how do you say- realistic. How many hours I spent these two weeks in the court, he didn't spend even half of it. (laughter)

JM: He's older than you.

MS: Yeah, but that's why he spends not so much time as me, he's smarter. (laughter) Let's be serious, a little bit (laughter)...

drf716
01-30-2004, 03:10 PM
JM: Anything else you'd like to say to this crowd?

MS: I mean, thanks a lot, thanks a lot for support. Thank you, thanks a lot. I don't know how to say thank you to all of you in particular but just thanks a lot. (laughter)

drf716
JM: Simply, how in the world did you pull that of?

MS: I still don't know, I still really don't know. (laughter)

drf716
JM: Talk for a second about Andre Agassi. He had won 26 matches in a row here at the AO. It's got to mean a little bit of something to beat him.

MS: It means a lot. (laughter) I mean he's in great shape at his age (laughter)(and a bit of reaction, I guess.)

JM: He meant it in a good way.

MS: Of course, of course, sorry, sorry. I don't wanna say anything bad to him. I mean, I hope I will be playing at the age of 34 (laughter) but...

drf716
01-30-2004, 03:11 PM
JM: Physically, how are you holding up? That was your 3rd 5-set match. Do you ever see the Rocky movies? You remind me of Ivan Drago.

MS: That is a compliment actually. (laughter)

JM: Yes, it is.

MS: Thank you. (laughter)

JM: How are you feeling physically right now?

MS: I mean, I'm barely standing right now talking to you. (laughter) but...

drf716
JM: ...The crowd is wondering how you gonna spend the next couple of days recovering. Is fishing in the cards?

MS: ...Don't worry about me for the next few days. I'll be, I hope I'll be OK in the finals. (laughter)

drf716
JM: What is it with you and Americans. That's the 5th American you've beaten in this tournament. You don't like Americans or something?

MS: Ahhhm................(laughter)

JM: Alright...

MS: No,no,no,no,no,no Nothing in particular. I feel sorry. I hope I didn't...(laughter)...I hope I didn't kill the confidence before Davis Cup but I mean...Sorry, sorry man, sorry. (laughter)

drf716
01-30-2004, 03:12 PM
JM: You won the US Open a couple of years back. Do you feel like you're a better player now than you were then?

MS: I mean, I improved, I hope. It was so long time ago. I don't even remember. (laughter) 3 years ago it was just like yeaterday but it was already three years ago...

drf716
01-30-2004, 03:12 PM
JM: ...I'd like a little advice on how to get in shape or another one maybe you can help me grow a little bit.

MS: No, it's OK. For you, it's OK. You win a lot already. (laughter) And it's enough for you, I think...

Ma. Estefania
01-30-2004, 04:32 PM
MS: No,no,no,no,no,no Nothing in particular. I feel sorry. I hope I didn't...(laughter)...I hope I didn't kill the confidence before Davis Cup but I mean...Sorry, sorry man, sorry. (laughter)

:rolls:

I wish I could have seen this interview, too bad the damn ESPN cut the transmission, and didn't show it. :mad:

Vass
01-30-2004, 04:51 PM
He Ma, you can see it on Safin Lounge http://home.iprimus.com.au/beethoven2001/marat/

Iza
01-30-2004, 07:22 PM
thx for that interview

Ma. Estefania
01-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Thank u, Vass. :kiss:

LiHui
01-31-2004, 03:54 AM
Thanks for that!~

Shadow
02-05-2004, 02:29 PM
GREAT! :lol: thanks drf716 :)

i somehow have overseen this thread.

Jessi
03-11-2004, 03:07 AM
:rolls: :haha:

Marat! :worship: :rocker2:

Aurora
04-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Got this from the Eurosport live:

"Safin is on the wrong end of a poor line call... but justice is done moments later as the Russian attacks the net on SET POINT to rush Rochus into an error... SECOND SET SAFIN 6-3!"
"During the arguement with the chair umpire, Safin asked if the official could watch the point on video later... the ball was in... Safin said: "If it is in, i'll give you a punch later!" Good humour!"

Chanchai
04-20-2004, 12:44 PM
I love watching Safin play... and I love reading his interviews (sometimes they're interesting, sometimes they're interesting because I find them funny). The guy has charisma!

I found this interview early on in Miami to be pretty humorous, and interesting. Centers on the topic of promoting tennis and how a player like Ferrero isn't popular in the US (but Marat has at least a following in the US). Anyways... I like to call this one: "Lost in Translation" hehehe. I found humor in the communication.

It's not a "hilarious" interview... just more of something interesting, and I took humor in the conversation. But I also took interest, nice to hear a player's perspective--and Marat is generally very straightforward.

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2004nasdaq/032504MS.html

Q. So it's the media's fault?

MARAT SAFIN: I don't know who's fault but definitely not mine. It's somebody who has to deal with -- for example, here's a person from ATP. You can blame them for that, for not promoting the tennis the way it should be promoted and not getting enough hours on the TV. It has to be either certain hours, so at least the people can see sometimes tennis.

Q. I guess I would still argue...

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, it's okay, you can argue. You don't have to tell me.

Q. You're more popular than a Ferrero. Spanish players in general have never been that popular, if you go back, in the States.

MARAT SAFIN: And? What's your point?

Q. I don't know.

MARAT SAFIN: But make your point. You don't know.

-Chanchai

Shadow
04-20-2004, 01:37 PM
yes Marat is some hillarious guy :)

PennyThePenguin
04-20-2004, 01:43 PM
he comes up with the weirdest things to say. hilarious though they are... i mean, he was voted "most quotable player", so for once, we agree with the press on something.

MaratkicksA$$
05-29-2004, 12:59 PM
hmmm, his english doesntseem so fluent..?

not like it matters to me lol, he speaks spanish

drf716
05-30-2004, 03:56 AM
i think since the french open and before that we should call marat CONTROVERSIAL SAFIN lol... i mean he's like yevgeny towards issues about the sport and now look what he's been doing on courts... MARAT you rock my world!