katrientje
01-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Roger was just too good today. Better luck next time Juan Carlos

safinagirly
01-30-2004, 09:49 AM
but juanqui has an injury that don't mean something

oxy
01-30-2004, 09:54 AM
injury does play a part to his lost....but federer is definitely the better one today....get well soon juanqui n all the best federer on sun!!!

Aurora
01-30-2004, 09:59 AM
did you see the image where they zoom in on JC's face when he rocking to and fro to receive and his face grimaces (is that english?) each time he's leaning on 1 side? Painful!

But Fed was outstanding once again, that man is in his bubble... let's wait and see if Marat has his tweezers and needles ready!

oxy
01-30-2004, 10:03 AM
did you see the image where they zoom in on JC's face when he rocking to and fro to receive and his face grimaces (is that english?) each time he's leaning on 1 side? Painful!

yeah and at one point he tore away the bandage that was around his left groin...i just hope that by playing more matches, he did not aggravate the injury to the groin...it could be dangerous!!!

Beat
01-30-2004, 10:07 AM
shouldn't this thread be called "roger won!!!!!!" :confused: :o

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 10:11 AM
shouldn't this thread be called "roger won!!!!!!" :confused: :o
Apparently not, but nobody is stopping you from making one :)

Not overly surprising. I was hoping that Ferrero could shut up the people who wrote him off completely, but no biggie. There's always next time. And if that fails? The time after that :)

safinagirly
01-30-2004, 10:14 AM
hope that juanqui will not be out for a long time because of this injury

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 10:16 AM
hope that juanqui will not be out for a long time because of this injury
Seeing as he's slotted to play Davis Cup in a week, I think he'll be okay ;)

asotgod
01-30-2004, 10:35 AM
MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Roger Federer has climbed to the top of the world, felling Juan Carlos Ferrero to reach his first Australian Open final and clinch top spot in the rankings.

The manner of his 6-4 6-1 6-4 victory could hardly have been more fitting as he secured the number one spot for the first time on Friday.

Having knocked all life out of his Spanish opponent in 89 minutes, Federer knelt on centre court and saluted the awe-struck crowd.

"I knew I had the chance to be number one in the world," the Wimbledon champion sighed with relief. "Maybe I have a poker-face most of the time but I felt nervous."

Those nerves were never on show as the stylish Swiss hit shots lesser players only dream of, humbling the French Open champion and world number two in the process.

"I am confident. I mean, have you ever seen a number one in the world who is not that confident?" he joked on court, immediately settling into his new status.

Federer will face mighty Marat Safin in Sunday's final after the unseeded Russian downed defending champion Andre Agassi in five sets on Thursday.

Federer can be assured vocal support from the ever growing Swiss contingent.

"The Swiss are neutral when it comes to other things but when it comes to sport they are freaking out right now," he laughed.

Looking forward to Sunday's showpiece, Federer said: "(Marat is) a great player, it will be a great match. He's in the finals and it's very nice to see."

SWASHBUCKLING SWISS

If Federer can reach the heights he scaled in this semi-final, it is hard to see how the 86th-ranked Safin could live with him.

Certainly Ferrero could not handle the swashbuckling Swiss and was left staring into space.

"How good I was today? Not so good," he smiled wryly. "Always he plays very fast for me and with 100 percent you can beat him if you play good. But today I was not 100 percent so could do nothing."

Ferrero said he could feel pain in his legs when he was stretching or recovering and so could not run enough balls down.

The comment did not give Federer credit for a superb performance.

On the Rod Laver Arena he bore down on the net, setting out his game plan from the beginning.

Slashing his serve out wide or into the Spaniard's body, he followed his first one in and cut off the rangy Spaniard's angles.

On his second serve he stayed back, thrashing groundstrokes from side to side as Ferrero scampered to hunt the ball down.

Far from opening defensively, though, Ferrero patrolled the baseline looking for the smallest of openings, pummelling the ball into the smallest of gaps in Federer's armour.

Little could separate the men in the first set. Federer fought off three break points in the seventh game, fighting back from love-40 to nose ahead once more.

Again Ferrero drew level, unerring in his accuracy.

In the 10th game, Federer pounced. Unloading on the Spaniard's serve he cracked a series of returns and on his first set point, an under-pressure Ferrero flicked a forehand long.

WEARING THIN

Opening the second set, Federer kept the heat on, drilling a serve at the Spaniard to hold as Ferrero simply shrugged his shoulders and returned to his seat.

Clearly rattled, Ferrero was broken instantly, hooking a crosscourt forehand into the tramlines before falling behind 3-0.

Dressed all in black, the Spaniard tore a bandage from his left thigh at the next changeover, desperate for anything to change his luck.

A clutch of solid first serves allowed him to get on the scoreboard for 3-1, and buoyed, he set about the Federer delivery with renewed vigour.

However, the Swiss player's deft touch rescued him, a delicately floated backhand forcing the Spaniard off balance and he missed as Federer eased 4-1 ahead.

Another piledriver of a forehand gave Federer another break and a 5-1 lead, leaving Ferrero to thump his racket into his left thigh in fury and frustration.

Two minutes later the Swiss was two sets up after less than an hour and Ferrero could only stare into space.

Out of ideas and with patience wearing thin, the baseliner attempted ever more audacious drop shots and angled volleys -- more often missing than not -- but managed to stay with the Swiss early in the third set.

His fragile confidence was finally shattered in the seventh game when Federer broke him for a fourth time in total, tearing a return back onto the Spaniard's toes.

Serving comfortably he moved to 5-3, one game from victory and he made no mistake, forcing Ferrero to return a forehand long after yet another heavy serve.

I used to have respect for Ferrero as a player, but not anymore. Last year, he played some gamesmanship to win against Ferreira in the opening round. He most times thinks losses to good players will somewhat diminish his status, and that's why he gives stupid answers like this. I, for one, dont buy into the whole idea he was injured. He could as well have been faking because if he was injured he will not be able to reach the semifinal. It's more like the Kim Clijsters style of saying she is injured so that when she loses, she can blame on injury. That's exactly what Ferrero has done. He could not have started the match better. And was saying crap like if he was 100%, he could have won. That's all explanation of failure. Federer is clearly a better player than Ferrero, although Ferrero is more of a fighter. Doesn't give up. But that does not mean that he should not learn to give others credit. Maybe that's why he does not get the recognition he deserves as was stated in his last interview.

Look, I am not undermining Ferrero's abilities, but he should learn and be matured for once to be able to give opponents credit. That's why Roddick is able to fare better. He gives opponents their credit, even Agassi, who necessarily should not. If Ferrero keeps behaving like this, he will get nothing more than enmity from his opponents. He better beware! Because Federer may have to beat him when he is 100%. Maybe he will have another excuse then.

Shy
01-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Not overly surprising. I was hoping that Ferrero could shut up the people who wrote him off completely, but no biggie. There's always next time. And if that fails? The time after that :)
I don't get it. He does better than the other New balls in slam and they still write him off.

jtipson
01-30-2004, 10:42 AM
I don't expect you've read his AO interview yet, asotgod, but from that it's clear that Juan Carlos was certainly hurt. He's not going to play Davis Cup next week, and he's not even sure about Rotterdam yet. So that sounds like a reasonably serious injury.

As for the Madrid match against Ferreira, well, it was a highly-charged affair, and I think the crowd (of which I was part) played as much as part in Wayne losing that as anything. But that's long ago now, and we're in 2004.

Get better soon, Juan Carlos.

asotgod
01-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Nobody writes him off. He writes himself off by his attitude. He has been doing well in the grand slams, no doubt about that. But he is from a country where they are predominantly clay courters and the recognition he gets will be more inclined to that. That does not make it right for them to think of him more as a clay courter but with time, he will establish himself. Look, most things if not everything, in life is all about patience. Ferrero is not from America or Australia or Britian. So, even though he is a top world player, the recognition is not there. He will have to work extra harder for it by impressing people at all times with his play. It's just the way the media operates. If you are not in good position to get attention, you work yourself into it.

oxy
01-30-2004, 10:48 AM
astogod i think u r judging too early...i see nothing wrong in his answers...its obvious he is not 100% injury free...n he is rite if he is 100% free i don't see him not goin to put up a better fight..considering the past few matchups that they had....n also not forgetting that his english is not up to standard...well its just wrong to say that he is faking injury...similary for kim's case...we r not the players...we will not understand the kind of pain that they are goin thru for a injury...it really takes a lot of will power to overcome injury!!!

oxy
01-30-2004, 10:55 AM
this is the full interview.....

An interview with:

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO

Q. You obviously were not at a hundred percent. It's very difficult to put a figure on it, but what figure would you give for how good you were today in terms of fitness?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: How good? I was today not so good. I think I couldn't play my best tennis just because I couldn't arrive the ball so good, you know. I couldn't put the step by step, you know, behind the ball to hit the ball good, you know. And always he plays very fast for me, you know, and always with you a hundred percent. You can beat him if you play so good.

So today I was so far from hundred percent and, you know, I couldn't play three or four balls in a row a hundred percent.

Q. Did you expect him as strong, that strong?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Yeah. I saw his games, you know, the day before, you know. I think he's playing good. But, anyways, I was playing so good the whole tournament, and I was hitting the ball perfect, you know. And I think that if I'm hundred percent, I could win the match.

Q. Can you remind us exactly when you first hurt your leg, then what you did about it at the time?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: You know, I start to feel problems in the second day, but I start to feel the problems in my leg when I was playing against Andrei Pavel, you know. I felt problem in one leg.

After, in the next match, I start to feel problems in the two legs. So I couldn't recover so good, you know, in these two days. I was taking antiinflammatories, two a day, you know, but anyways was not enough to be okay.

Q. Have you had this trouble before?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Not always, but sometimes I have some problems in the abductors, you know. When I have big matches like five sets or something like this, I have some problems there. But not like this far, you know. This is the worst that I have.

Q. What exactly were the problems?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: I felt like, I don't know, a shot, you know, in my leg, in the left one, and then also in the right one. So when I go too far to take the ball, you know, I felt so much pain. And also to recover to go to the other ball, it's very difficult. So I feel pain like all the time.

Because I'm in movement all the time, and it's pretty difficult to not feel the pain.

Q. Was there any time during this week that you seriously considered pulling out of the tournament?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: You know, maybe the second day against Volandri because I felt problems in my back and also in my arm, you know. I couldn't feel so good on the courts.

But anyways, I was winning in three sets, so was not too long.

Then I felt the problems. But, you know, I could still playing. Today at 3-3 in the first set, I start to feel a lot of pain in my legs, you know, and I couldn't arrive the ball so good. Was a disaster.

Q. So under the circumstances you're happy with the semifinal at the Australian Open?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Of course, I happy, but I'm a little bit disappointed, too. You know, it's not easy to arrive to semifinals playing so good tennis, but so bad physically. So I'm a little bit disappointed for this, of course.

Anyways, semifinal is a good result, you know, here in Australian Open, the first big tournament. But I think I could do some more.

Q. So you have to rest now?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Yeah. I'm thinking in this, but I think that I will take some rest, yeah, because I have Davis Cup.

Q. You are going to play Davis Cup?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: I don't think so because I don't think it's so good to still working in tennis in the next couple of days, you know. I think I will be worse if I do so much, you know, and I will not arrive very good on the next Friday because I have to fly to come back to Spain. I recover from the jet lag again, you know, and also from my legs. Is too fast to be a hundred percent on Friday. So my coach and me, we are thinking that it's better to take some rest and try to be...

Q. So the next tournament will be?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: We don't know. We don't know yet. I have Rotterdam and Marseille. We hope that I will be hundred percent in one of these tournaments.

Q. Guys who played the Masters Cup and final of the Davis Cup often have a bit of a problem here. Do you feel that's part of the problem?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Yeah, of course, yes, because I didn't have so much time to prepare in December, starting here in Australian Open. Just have 15 days to prepare physically. And, you know, also tennis, after take a rest 15 days, I was in holidays. So, of course, I didn't have so much time to prepare. And maybe it's part of the problem that I have now.

Q. Are you confident that it would be Moya and Nadal playing singles, you're confident?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Yes, I think it's a good team. And Robredo, they are playing so good in doubles, and they can also play in singles because they're a good tennis players, like you could see, you know, results of Nadal or Robredo. So I think we have a great team.

Q. Any prediction for the final?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: I don't know. Physically I don't know how is going to be Marat. But, anyways, he has two days to recover. And Roger, maybe he has an easy match today. He doesn't have to run a lot because me.

I don't know. There is two big players in the final, you know, very aggressive all the time. Maybe Roger has very good forehand and maybe he can do a lot of points with this. But also Marat, he's very motivated because he come back from the injury and he can play very good in the final, as well.

--------------------------------------------------

*~ The Leopard ~*
01-30-2004, 11:01 AM
You know, he talks a bit like Jennifer Capriati and Lisa Raymond.

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 11:09 AM
You know, at least he has an excuse ;)

Of course he brought up his injuries... he's been bringing them up ALL week. Anybody who was expecting anything different was setting themselves up for dissapointment :p

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 11:11 AM
I don't expect you've read his AO interview yet, asotgod, but from that it's clear that Juan Carlos was certainly hurt. He's not going to play Davis Cup next week, and he's not even sure about Rotterdam yet. So that sounds like a reasonably serious injury.

As for the Madrid match against Ferreira, well, it was a highly-charged affair, and I think the crowd (of which I was part) played as much as part in Wayne losing that as anything. But that's long ago now, and we're in 2004.

Get better soon, Juan Carlos.
As far as I"m concerned, he'd do well to not play until IW and Miami. He needs a break.

But that SUCKS about Davis Cup. Spain is toast if Moya can't play :sad:

lsy
01-30-2004, 11:11 AM
This is my impression on Ferrero on this match. He was playing pretty good at the first set, moving well. pretty aggressive and serving well. But all of a sudden when he's serving at 5-4, Federer raised his level and played 4 great shots to take the set. I supposed he was a bit shocked and deflated, more so after Rogi broke his service almost immediately in the 2nd set. Subsequent to that Ferrero just seems flat. I won't comment on the injury coz nobody knows how serious that was except himself. But my impression on Ferrero had been that he really need to toughen up on the mental side especially when he's trailing vs these top players. Of course Rogi had played a great match, but Ferrero should have been able to put up a better fight. Look at Andre vs Safin, he lost 2 sets so closely but he never lost his patience or determination. But I'm sure this comes with experience and age.

Pink Panther
01-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Oxy, I think you should put that last paragraph of JC's answer in bold and font-size 100 because someone obviously cannot read. :rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Q. Are you confident that it would be Moya and Nadal playing singles, you're confident?

Erm? I'm not sure that I could justify giving Nadal the second singles if Ferrero couldn't play, when there are more experienced, higher ranked players in the wings

Where did they get that idea from? :confused:

oxy
01-30-2004, 11:18 AM
This is my impression on Ferrero on this match. He was playing pretty good at the first set, moving well. pretty aggressive and serving well. But all of a sudden when he's serving at 5-4, Federer raised his level and played 4 great shots to take the set. I supposed he was a bit shocked and deflated, more so after Rogi broke his service almost immediately in the 2nd set. Subsequent to that Ferrero just seems flat. I won't comment on the injury coz nobody knows how serious that was except himself. But my impression on Ferrero had been that he really need to toughen up on the mental side especially when he's trailing vs these top players. Of course Rogi had played a great match, but Ferrero should have been able to put up a better fight. Look at Andre vs Safin, he lost 2 sets so closely but he never lost his patience or determination. But I'm sure this comes with experience and age.

i agree with u lsy...he needs to work on his mental abit...injuries wise we never know how much the pain he is really suffering!!!

Billabong
01-30-2004, 11:25 AM
I really hope JC comes back soon healthy!!! Great tourney Juan Carlos, I hope your injury heals completely soon!!!

Congrats Fed for your victory, you did great today! Now continue this in the finals!!! GOOO FED!!!!!!

star
01-30-2004, 12:11 PM
:lol:

Pretty funny that people get upset when Ferrero says that he thinks he could have won the match had he been playing at 100%.

Yet, a laudatory thread is made for Federer because he said that his nerves were the only reason he lost to Roddick in Montreal.

I'm not actually seeing the difference in the two statements.

I like it that Juan Carlos has belief in his ability to beat Federer. Good for him. This is the attitude he needs. I wouldn't want him to be saying, Oh Roger is just too good and when he is playing his best, I can't beat him.

:bigclap: Juan Carlos. You were brave today and did very well this tournament.

jmp
01-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Congrats to JC on a fine tournament. :) I hope his injuries heal and he comes back strong enough to compete on all surfaces. Tennis needs him in the mix!

Great win, Roger!! :D :D I think this is the cleanest match he's played in this tournament. He looked beautiful on court today and played like the new world number one!!! Good luck on Sunday, Roger! (I'm still pulling for Marat to do the unthinkable, though! ;) )

lalaland
01-30-2004, 08:56 PM
The last thing Juan Carlos worries about is some non-fans making wrongful accusation, trying to add insult to injury. Kicking a man when he is down and hurt, and thatís very respectable :rolleyes:.

I donít see any problem a top player say he believes he can beat another top player in another situation is any wrong. If a player said he could not beat someone no matter what, thatís called mental block. Ferrero has beaten Federer before on hard court, whatís the big deal?

And if he keeps talking about the injuries and the respect issues, that is because the reporters keep asking him, was he not supposed to answer them? He is not controversial nor funny, hence, thatís the only thing the reporters can do to stir up something they think is news worthy. Get it?

Get well soon, Juan Carlos.

Crazy_Fool
01-30-2004, 10:24 PM
You know, he talks nothing like Jennifer Capriati, please do not compare them. Man I think Juan Carlos is a bit injury prone or something. This match reminded me of the US Open final last yr. He just looked totally out of it.

Come back strong mate.

SanTaureau Fan
01-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Q. You obviously were not at a hundred percent. It's very difficult to put a figure on it, but what figure would you give for how good you were today in terms of fitness?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: How good? I was today not so good. I think I couldn't play my best tennis just because I couldn't arrive the ball so good, you know. I couldn't put the step by step, you know, behind the ball to hit the ball good, you know. And always he plays very fast for me, you know, and always with you a hundred percent. You can beat him if you play so good.

:tape:

Crazy_Fool
01-30-2004, 11:00 PM
Give up on Ferrero, I like his confidence. At least he believes it and I honestly believe it as well.

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 11:09 PM
You know, he talks nothing like Jennifer Capriati, please do not compare them. Man I think Juan Carlos is a bit injury prone or something. This match reminded me of the US Open final last yr. He just looked totally out of it.

Come back strong mate.
A "bit" injury prone? ;)

He's quite injury prone. We know this, because he tells us ;)

Crazy_Fool
01-30-2004, 11:10 PM
A "bit" injury prone? ;)

He's quite injury prone. We know this, because he tells us ;)
So, what do u want him to do, say he was injury free when he was clearly in pain.

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Give up on Ferrero, I like his confidence. At least he believes it and I honestly believe it as well.
Exactly.

I rag on Ferrero sometimes too, but when I do it it's good natured ;) ;)

Seriously though - he HAS to have that belief. It's what won him RG after all those tough losses. He's NOT as talented as Federer or Safin - so if he doesn't fight and believe he can beat them, he won't. I'd say that his record against both is nothing to be ashamed of :)

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 11:12 PM
So, what do u want him to do, say he was injury free when he was clearly in pain.
Um, yes. Known Ferrero hater than I am, that's exactly what I'd like him to do.

Crazy_Fool
01-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Um, yes. Known Ferrero hater than I am, that's exactly what I'd like him to do.
Hater! LOL. What makes u hate him, he seems like a pretty cool guy to me!

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Hater! LOL. What makes u hate him, he seems like a pretty cool guy to me!
Oh... I see you haven't been here very long. Apologies. You wouldn't have understood that was sarcasm if you hadn't seen me post very much about him before.

I have tapes of more than a dozen of his matches ;)

Crazy_Fool
01-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Oh... I see you haven't been here very long. Apologies. You wouldn't have understood that was sarcasm if you hadn't seen me post very much about him before.

Oh sorry, get ya ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Oh sorry, get ya ;)
It's all good... you had no way of knowing that :)

*~ The Leopard ~*
01-30-2004, 11:48 PM
You know, he talks nothing like Jennifer Capriati, please do not compare them.

You know, it was a bit of a wtaworld in joke. :devil:

*~ The Leopard ~*
01-30-2004, 11:51 PM
You know, I just realised that the devil smiley actually looks a bit like JenCap! :eek:

(Sorry, this was way off topic.)

oxy
01-31-2004, 05:49 AM
And if he keeps talking about the injuries and the respect issues, that is because the reporters keep asking him, was he not supposed to answer them? He is not controversial nor funny, hence, that’s the only thing the reporters can do to stir up something they think is news worthy. Get it?

agree...every transcript of his interview for his past matches...they seem to ask him these 2 questions....if someone feels that there is something wrong with his answers...please forgive him...its really his english...remember "pression" n "tennistically"???? (i really pity south american n spanish players)....i wouldn't mind giving them free lessons on english!!!! ;)

oxy
01-31-2004, 05:52 AM

You know....Queen Becca is the no.1 controversial fan of Ferrero....;)

Action Jackson
01-31-2004, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Queen Rebecca\
Erm? I'm not sure that I could justify giving Nadal the second singles if Ferrero couldn't play, when there are more experienced, higher ranked players in the wings

Where did they get that idea from?

You must have heard the saying if you're good enough, you're old enough? With the injury to Ferrero it makes perfect sense that Nadal would be the second singles player in the Davis Cup.

The thing is Ok, look they are playing on a faster surface so that rules out Costa and Mantilla who has a problem with pain in his achilles.

Also I think ability wise and temperament wise he is better than Robredo and Feliciano " I am so Beautiful, yet I don't have a Backhand" Lopez. So with that it makes sense he is the second singles player and Robredo will play in the doubles.

Ferrero seems to be one of those guys who is more injured than he actually is, though in this case I saw him playing and he didn't seem injured in the matches that he was winning, then again these things hurt more when a player is losing.

He will never get respect as his English at the moment is not great(though improving), and also with the bias in the English-language media about Spanish players just being claycourt machines, that they usually overlook their results on other surfaces.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 06:11 AM
You know....Queen Becca is the no.1 controversial fan of Ferrero....;)
I do have a big mouth, don't I? :devil:

GWH - I wasn't saying they shouldn't put Nadal in... just surprised that it might actually come to be. Shocking to think that a year ago he wasn't top 100, and now he might play DC singles for Spain ;)

Action Jackson
01-31-2004, 06:15 AM
There is nothing to be surprised about Rebecca, he has come a long way in a short time. It helps his uncle was a top footballer for many years, that and having Moya around has helped him progress very quickly.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 06:21 AM
There is nothing to be surprised about Rebecca, he has come a long way in a short time. It helps his uncle was a top footballer for many years, that and having Moya around has helped him progress very quickly.
It's very impressive, is all that I'm saying ;)

I'm not surprised he's good... I saw him at the USO and was sold on him ;)

tennischick
01-31-2004, 11:14 AM
sorry i'm late to the party but i totally agree with this. mentally he has never been the strongest fish in the sea.

in addition i have decided that Ferrero actually plays outside of his range. he is a tremendous overachiever. he reminds me a bit of Cecil Mamiit. of course he's way better than Mamiit will ever dream of being but they share that quality of overworking and straining themselves beyond their natural limits in order to achieve. James Blake has a similar quality. as a result, players like that can be dangerous in the earlier rounds, but nearing the end of two weeks, they have nothing left and are totally deflated. in Sushi's case the deflation was both physical and mental -- and it occurred at the exact point you indicated (when Federer raised his game and easily broke him to win the first set). Ferrero never recovered from the humiliation IMO.

Experimentee
01-31-2004, 11:29 AM
I disagree with Ferrero being an overachiever. Its not often at all he runs out of gas, normally he goes deep into Grand Slams and hes fine, like at Roland Garros all the time, and had that big winning streak on clay which is the surface where endurance is needed the most. The situation against Federer is not typical of what he usually does.
I think in this particular case with Federer, he saw that Roger was playing so well and already down two sets to love he wasnt mentally ready to put up a fight and maybe was a little sore and didnt want to exert his body any more. They were saying when you have an injury you feel it more when you're losing, and can ignore it when you're winning. When Ferrero was mentally deflated after losing two sets maybe then he started to feel the pain from his injury more.

WyverN
01-31-2004, 11:34 AM
This is not relating to the Ferrero case but I feel if a player takes court then they are fit enough to play and shouldn't use injury as a excuse.

Since Ferrero took court and didn't retire then he obviously thought he would be fit enough to beat Roger right up until the last point.

WyverN
01-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Not overly surprising. I was hoping that Ferrero could shut up the people who wrote him off completely, but no biggie. There's always next time.

he was correctly written off for this tournament, he got thrashed by the first top 20 player he played.

He gets enough credit, I knew he would be a force on hardcourts since he won Sydney on hardcourts.

Crazy_Fool
01-31-2004, 11:40 AM
he was correctly written off for this tournament, he got thrashed by the first top 20 player he played.

He gets enough credit, I knew he would be a force on hardcourts since he won Sydney on hardcourts.
Enough credit?! LOL. He is continually put down as a clay courter who cant cut it on other surfaces and is only a threat at RG.

WyverN
01-31-2004, 11:50 AM
He is continually put down as a clay courter who cant cut it on other surfaces and is only a threat at RG.

maybe by crazy fools, no pun intended ;)

last year's US open proved otherwise unlike this aus open.

Crazy_Fool
01-31-2004, 11:53 AM
maybe by crazy fools, no pun intended ;)

last year's US open proved otherwise unlike this aus open.
Doesnt seem to matter what he does, he's still classed as clay court player. He can cut it on other surfaces but commentators do not think this.

oxy
01-31-2004, 01:56 PM
I think in this particular case with Federer, he saw that Roger was playing so well and already down two sets to love he wasnt mentally ready to put up a fight and maybe was a little sore and didnt want to exert his body any more. They were saying when you have an injury you feel it more when you're losing, and can ignore it when you're winning. When Ferrero was mentally deflated after losing two sets maybe then he started to feel the pain from his injury more.

i agree during the earlier rounds he was also injured but he was winning n from what i saw...n for most people i guess when u r winning u would not want to retire cos u hope to hang in there to get the win.....nevertheless he is a very good player n i should say he is not to be undermined in hard courts....IMO he is very much like agassi...maybe im thinking too faraway but i won't be surprised if he ever wins all 4 GS!!! however he needs to work on his brain a bit...;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2004, 05:47 PM

HE's written off all the time, wether he deserves to be or not :) Maybe not by you, but by many.

Shy
01-31-2004, 05:56 PM
He will never get respect as his English at the moment is not great(though improving), and also with the bias in the English-language media about Spanish players just being claycourt machines, that they usually overlook their results on other surfaces.
The disgusting part is that most of them doesn't know to speak anything else than english.

Action Jackson
02-02-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Shy
The disgusting part is that most of them doesn't know to speak anything else than english.

Shy, that's not the problem their patronising attitude is worse than any lack of language ability.

lalaland
02-02-2004, 05:46 AM
This is not relating to the Ferrero case but I feel if a player takes court then they are fit enough to play and shouldn't use injury as a excuse.

Since Ferrero took court and didn't retire then he obviously thought he would be fit enough to beat Roger right up until the last point.

You may say that now, but I have a feeling that if he retired in the middle of the match, you probably would say he quitted because he has no guts to finish the match seeing that he can't win. If you don't like a player, you can always find something negative to say about him no matter what he does.

If the first top 20 player he met is Robredo or Massu, then I see your point. Otherwise, it is also true that he beat all players ranked below him while other top players like Agassi and Roddick failed to do.

See, I prove my point again.

lalaland
02-02-2004, 06:01 AM
sorry i'm late to the party but i totally agree with this. mentally he has never been the strongest fish in the sea.

in addition i have decided that Ferrero actually plays outside of his range. he is a tremendous overachiever. he reminds me a bit of Cecil Mamiit. of course he's way better than Mamiit will ever dream of being but they share that quality of overworking and straining themselves beyond their natural limits in order to achieve. James Blake has a similar quality. as a result, players like that can be dangerous in the earlier rounds, but nearing the end of two weeks, they have nothing left and are totally deflated. in Sushi's case the deflation was both physical and mental -- and it occurred at the exact point you indicated (when Federer raised his game and easily broke him to win the first set). Ferrero never recovered from the humiliation IMO.

At some level, I agree with you, that he rely on hardwork more to put himself over the natural limits to achieve. And that is totally fine. No one athlete is like the other, they all start from different level of talents and not the most talented will always win. If you know what you lack, you compensate by working hard to make it up for it.

For what he lacks at the moment, there's a lot. There's lots of room for improvement in the mental fortitude part. There's no telling if he could have put up a better fight if the injuries wasn't on his mind. And it's not hard to imagine that when you are winning, the benefit of keep fighting is more than giving up, therefore, you have a higher tolerance of pain. And when you are losing, the mind is not so strong when you see the mountain is so high to climb.