# 1 AND Australian Open Champ 2004 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

# 1 AND Australian Open Champ 2004

Mrs. B
01-30-2004, 09:23 AM
he deserves it!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

He beat Juanqui today and steamrolls into another GS final! :banana:

lsy
01-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Yes Mrs. B!!! I'm still speechless with his performance in this AO...

Mrs. B
01-30-2004, 09:32 AM
he really dominated Juanqui today. wow, those fh's! :eek:

:D

Dirk
01-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Ninja is so good its scary. :eek: :bounce:

I am glad he is focused on the Title and not the ranking. I WANT NINJA TO HAVE IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO NINJA KILL SAFFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. B
01-30-2004, 09:35 AM
in the first set, Roger was down on his serve, 0-40. he managed to save those and 2 other bp's. playing like a real champ!!!

:worship:

lsy
01-30-2004, 09:40 AM
He does and he did a better on court interview today too :)

It seems like he likes Safin a lot, when JMac askes what he thinks about facing him, Rogi said : "great guy, great game, great match...and really happy to see him back and in the final" Such a nice guy...

Go Rogi!!!

tori-amos
01-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Fantastic~~ it's what he deserves ~~
Congratulations!!!
I'm so happy with it^_^

Mrs. B
01-30-2004, 09:44 AM
He does and he did a better on court interview today too :)

It seems like he likes Safin a lot, when JMac askes what he thinks about facing him, Rogi said : "great guy, great game, great match...and really happy to see him back and in the final" Such a nice guy...

Go Rogi!!!

i think if JMac interviewed Safin, he'd prolly say the same about Roger. lol

ytben
01-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Rogi :woohoo:
NO 1 BABY!!! I think that is one of the resolution that Rogi said he wants to achieve for 2004. Well he got it so early in the season :D :D

lsy
01-30-2004, 09:53 AM
ya, I think so too, Mrs. B. Both great guys with great games who like each other, will be something to see them battle it out :)

Another thing he said when JMac asked how did he stay so calm? Rogi said : "I'm nervous too, maybe I have a poker face :haha: so it doesn't show..." :haha:

You really can see how happy he was today after the match. He really almost saves his emotions to the best moments!

Mrs. B
01-30-2004, 10:00 AM
too bad Eurosport doesn't show the on court interview, but i'll read the AO one later...

It's a dream final, isn't it? Am very happy for Marat too. Great comeback.

:)

ytben
01-30-2004, 10:10 AM
lsy, I have to wait for the delay broadcast tomorrow :(
But I did listen to the BBC live audio, Rogi sounds so elated!

:lol: at that poker face comment. Rogi should visit Vegas , he will earn some extra cash on the poker table, not that he needs it ;)

lsy
01-30-2004, 10:15 AM
haha ytben. He was just really happy and the crowds give him nice reception too. Great to see!

Doris Loeffel
01-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Roger you got what you deserved for a long time!!
The top spot!!
Well done and keep it up!!
Gooo for it Roger!!

Good luck and concratulations - herzlichen Glückwunsch, tanti auguri, felicitations!!

Billabong
01-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Congrats Roger!!! #1 is a great accomplishment and you did it! Now you'll have to play #1 to beat Safin, you can do it! GOOOOOOOO FED!!!!!!!!!

^Sue^
01-30-2004, 11:57 AM
BIG THUMB FOR HIM AND ONE MUAH FOR HIM!!GOGO FEDERER!!

Mrs. B
01-30-2004, 12:17 PM
great interview...

R. FEDERER/J.C. Ferrero

6-4, 6-1, 6-4

Q. Was that easier than you expected? How much do you think was due to his leg injury?

ROGER FEDERER: Obviously, I always expect tougher matches than this, you know. That's what you got to have in mind when you come into a semifinals against Ferrero.

You know, I started to see that he had some problems with his injury only from the third set on. I thought he played really well in the beginning, and served especially well, maybe got a little down on himself in the second, and I took advantage of it.

And I'm happy the way I came back in that first set.

Q. With all that was riding on the match, was your reaction at the end kind of a sense of relief that you're in the final, you have the No. 1 ranking now?

ROGER FEDERER: "Relief"? Kind of. Relief for me was Wimbledon. No. 1, obviously it's something I've been close to the last few months. I could never take my chance. I tried everything at The Masters but, you know, wasn't good enough.

But I put myself in a good spot for the Australian Open. I'm happy to have had a great start now to the season, and to finally be No. 1.

And it does make me feel really strange (smiling).

Q. How do you feel about your opponent on Sunday having 24 hours more preparation time?

ROGER FEDERER: Oh, I don't think it really matters because I've had easier matches than he has, so he needs two days (smiling).

Let's see, but I don't think it's going to play down on condition. Yeah, looking forward to it. You know, it's going to be a good match. Marat is a nice guy and we've always had great matches so far. This is a special occasion for both of us.

Q. Did you expect him to come this far in the tournament two weeks ago at the start of the tournament?

ROGER FEDERER: I knew he's definitely got the game to win these tournaments. But to right away do it in the beginning of the season after he had some strange results at the end of the season, I don't know how much he was injured. I only saw him play in Madrid, where he lost in three sets to Bjorkman.

But it's good to see him back. We're all happy, but we're scared at the same time, so...

Q. Was it important for you to finish with three sets today?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, it's better, obviously. I save energy. My confidence goes up even more. So it's great. I didn't expect to play a three-setter today.

Q. On this type of surface, is there anybody tougher for you to play when they play their very best tennis than Marat?

ROGER FEDERER: It's really difficult to answer because Marat hasn't been around for basically a year.

Q. But if he plays his best tennis.

ROGER FEDERER: He's definitely one of the toughest. And he showed it at the US Open and at many other events. You can't get up on him with a kick serve because he's so tall and so strong with his backhand, you know. So he's really tough on this surface.

Plus, his movement is better on the hard courts than on any other surface. His kick serve bites on this surface.

So, definitely, he's one of the toughest, for sure.

Q. How do you compare to be in the final here and the final in Wimbledon when you first reached the final of a Grand Slam? What is the difference in terms of feelings?

ROGER FEDERER: It's totally different. I am very excited, don't worry. But, you know, Wimbledon, to already get to the semis was for me like a big thing. And then to come to the finals, you know, I couldn't believe it, to have a chance to win Wimbledon.

Here now I don't expect it for myself, but I know I've definitely got the game to do it. To be again in a Grand Slam final is a very good feeling.

Now it's all about preparation.

Q. Will it be easier to sleep before this final?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, definitely (smiling).

Q. When you looked to your people when the match was over, you were going to be interviewed by John McEnroe, you looked so happy. Can you tell us of your feelings in that moment. You were expressing a lot.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I don't know how many people knew how much there was in this match for me because there was not only the chance to win the tournament afterwards in the finals, but also at the same time be No. 1 in the world. So I just really wanted to enjoy that moment for myself, and the people who knew that I was playing for No. 1 in the world. They definitely saw what was going on.

It's just something I will never have again in my life. You're only one time No. 1 in the world for the first time in your career or in your life, maybe. So I really wanted to kind of enjoy it.

Q. How big is this for the country, to be first Swiss No. 1 in the world?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. You've got to ask the Swiss people.

But already to be No. 2, No. 5 was a big thing. You know, there's a lot of talk about Roger Federer in Switzerland. So now No. 1, it's even more special. I guess a lot of people expected that. But still, when it once happened, cannot describe the feelings inside.

Q. Do you get sort of special satisfaction from the way that you've handled all the new things that have happened to you in the last six months: winning Wimbledon, winning the Masters, getting to the Australian Open final, being No. 1? You seem to have handled them all so well. Does that give you kind of a special satisfaction, as well?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes. And I feel like I've totally learned out of the Montreal match against Andy where I missed my chance for No. 1. Today I was much more relaxed. Definitely I was nervous, too, in the end.

I don't know if I would have served it out any other way if I wouldn't have experienced what happened to me in Montreal, because I was basically shaking all over my body because I couldn't believe the chance I had.

So there I missed it. And it was - how do you say - it was the defeat that hurt me the most last year. And now to have made it, to have served it out, it's just really -- it's just really nice.

Q. Having won Wimbledon, were you surprised at that reaction you just described there, in that Montreal situation? Nothing's bigger than sort of serving for the Wimbledon Championship.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I wasn't serving for it (smiling).

Q. Nothing is bigger than receiving.

ROGER FEDERER: What can I say? You always get nervous when something means very much for yourself. I'm definitely a guy who is rather calm on the outside on the tennis court, but very emotional inside. I showed everything that was going on inside of myself at the presentation of the trophy in Wimbledon.

It wasn't far away today. But it was more of a -- just such a satisfaction and such a joy and also proud, of course, to be No. 1, the No. 1 in the men's tennis game. Martina Hingis was No. 1 in the women's side, and now that I'm the first Swiss to have made it on the men's side, it's just something -- it's really fun and good.

Q. You said before the tournament you didn't expect to go to the final. Why?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, because you got to look round for round, and you got to take it easy. You cannot just say, "I'm here to win the tournament," then you crash out in the first round and you don't know what to say. So you got to save yourself and start slowly (smiling).

I knew if it goes well and I make it to the fourth round or quarterfinals, that after that I got a chance to go all the way. But looking at the draw, there were some really tough guys around. I beat them all. Now I got the chance for the title, and I'm No. 1 in the world. I cannot ask for more right now.

Q. Marat was confident in Perth already, and he says he doesn't care about the draw.

ROGER FEDERER: Good for him. I did care about the draw. I still also made it, so depends how you look at it.

Q. You may be the first No. 1 in the world who gets there without having a coach.

ROGER FEDERER: I've had coaches, don't worry (smiling).

Q. Maybe other people will follow this example or not?

ROGER FEDERER: I have no idea. That's up to other players. I don't really care what the other guys do. All that I care about is my own career.

Q. Is it tougher?

ROGER FEDERER: It's different. What can I say? This title doesn't come -- how I say, this No. 1 in the world doesn't just come like this. This has been a lot of work on the practice courts, like all the other place, too. But I've been working as hard as I could the last few years.

All the coaches that have helped me definitely deserve something of it. But obviously in the end, you know, it's me on the tennis court and serving out the match, not the coach. So I'm definitely very proud.

Q. Do you expect this to be a year when the No. 1 changes hands quite frequently throughout the year?

ROGER FEDERER: I hope not. I don't hope it's going to change so quickly. Just getting used to the situation (smiling).

We'll see how I handle it. But it's definitely going to be an interesting year. There's a lot of young guys around. Andre is still around. Yeah, I'm looking forward to what's going to happen.

Q. People say you have the talent to win a Grand Slam on all surfaces. Do you agree?

ROGER FEDERER: Impossible to answer. I have no idea. I've never been close to win the French Open or I would say the US Open. But now that I've played well at the Australian Open, I know I've got definitely a better chance also at the US Open.

French Open gives me confidence knowing that I played finals in Rome, won Hamburg and won Munich. If that is enough to win a Grand Slam... I don't think so.

I'll go step by step. I haven't even won this tournament yet. Still got some work today.

Q. Back on the coaching issue. You made a decision that you're going to hire someone in the near future or you don't want to think about it right now?

ROGER FEDERER: There's not much to say about it. I feel good the way it's right now, otherwise I wouldn't perform like I'm doing. I'm definitely - especially after this result - not going to stress into something because it gives me kind of air and time to really think about what I want. At the same time I'm getting to know myself better, also what my needs are before a tournament.

You know, I've always been taken care of with coaches. Maybe to be on my own a little bit does my game good. You know, in a way yes, and in a way it doesn't do me good because maybe I'm missing some advice. Maybe in the long run this could help me. Who knows.

Q. Marat says he enjoys a couple of beers to ease the muscles. Do you have a similar policy?

ROGER FEDERER: Not really. I'm not a beer fan. I drink other stuff (smiling).
------------

from the AO official site

Raquel
01-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Well done Roger! :worship:

lsy
01-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Roger is always so true and sincere in all his interviews. Glad to see him treasure so much the moment for being the first timer No.1 on court today.

RogiFan88
01-30-2004, 03:39 PM
:D Woo hoo ROGI! So easy! Poor Juanqui tho... hope he gets better...

Wow, ROGI #1! Doesn't that have a nice ring to it?

Can't wait to see that match today!! Hope they include the JMac interview for once :rolleyes:

Rogi, now for the almost equally talented Marat...

I'm torn once again...

Wouldn't it be incredible tho if ROGI won his 2nd slam?!!!

HOPP ROGI!!

W start his 2004 off so fantastically!!!

Just do it!!

I love Marat too... but...

Who needs a coach, eh??!!! Yeah, P Trash, you know where you can go... even Flip is criticising you now...

Love this... cos PMac was SO certain that AA w meet Pandy in the SF... ha ha!!! Now there are NO Amers left... only the 2 most talented players today!!

Hope they both play well... how many sets, guys??

Who is the favourite NOW acc to all the critics, fans, etc.??? Curious...

Iker1
01-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Good job !

yanchr
01-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Congrats Roger!!!

At last you reached there where you should belong!! The most deserved World No.1! :bigclap:

Now stay there for as long as you can! I'm sure you will :cool:

And stay focused for you 2nd GS final!

Lindsayfan
01-30-2004, 08:10 PM
CONGRATS ROGIIII !!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

and welcome back Mrs B..where have u been? :wavey:

rogicomel
01-31-2004, 02:53 AM
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS ROGI!!!!!!! Everyone has said it, but I want to say it too! You're the most deserving guy for the top spot. Finally the reign is filled with the right person! Stay there as long as you can. Enjoy it every moment but remember, there's a thing still to be done!

Go for your second slam!!! You can do it!

Mrs. B
01-31-2004, 05:13 AM
CONGRATS ROGIIII !!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

and welcome back Mrs B..where have u been? :wavey:

Ciao, Val! :wavey:

I was in the tropics... ;)

Are you in Geneva now?

WyverN
01-31-2004, 01:25 PM
Congrats Roger!!

best part is that if he wins tomorrow he will have a
HUGE lead over the rest, incredibly difficult to lose #1 before Wimbledon!

But don't ruin a terrific fortnight by losing the final!

Lindsayfan
01-31-2004, 07:34 PM
Ciao, Val! :wavey:

I was in the tropics... ;)

Are you in Geneva now?

wow I hope you had a great time there! :)

If I get admitted @ my course in Geneva,I'll settle there in October.
*fingers crossed*

Mrs. B
02-01-2004, 05:02 AM
wow, what a great way to start the year!

Congrats Rodgeur for winning the AO, too! ;)

:banana:

Billabong
02-01-2004, 05:05 AM
YEAH guys it's time to CELEBRATE!!! Well done Rogi, that was SOOOOOOO great! GOOO!!!

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 05:08 AM
so happy for roger!!! he's won 2 or the last 3 as well as the masters series and is finally #1...

it's time for clay now, though. his biggest challenge. it doesn't come as easily to him, although he's a damn good slider and baseliner. the rebound ace courts play (IMO) closer to a clay court than they are to grass, so by him winning on a slow court with high bounces (that really doesn't suit his game as well) shows me that he can really do some damage on clay!

enjoy it rogi! it doesn't get much better than that!

WyverN
02-01-2004, 05:10 AM
DOUBLE CONGRATULATIONS ROGER! Really a perfect start to the season and lets not forget his on a 12 match winning streak, who knows when it will end?

ytben
02-01-2004, 05:20 AM
Congratulations Rogi as the new 2004 AO champion :woohoo: :D

Dirk
02-01-2004, 05:21 AM
NINJA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

SWISSSASSIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

HOLY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

SAVIOR OF THE SPORT!!!!!!!!! :worship:

PERFECT START TO THE YEAR. I am still in shock. I do hope he will get a coach soon though. Looks like Pat Cash is looking real dumb now. :devil:

tori-amos
02-01-2004, 05:30 AM
WONDERFUL!!!
thousands congratulatins to ROGI...
Although the match was not as perfect as my expectation~~But i'm still very happy^__^

lsy
02-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Rogi just continues to amaze me. Congratulations for a perfect run in AO. I hope it gives him even more motivation to continue in the following year. It even motivates me to work harder for my own year ahead too...haha!!!

And congratulate to all the Roger fans too :)

RogiFan88
02-01-2004, 05:49 AM
A huge congratulations to our ROGI!! No 1 AND Australian Open 2004 champion -- I like the sound of that!! ;)

Hail King Roger!! :worship:

Rogi, you ARE the best!

tangerine_dream
02-01-2004, 05:57 AM
Rogi! :banana:

2 slams now :woohoo: How many more will you add to your expanding collection this year? :yeah:

Good game, my little swiss cheese. :worship:

Iker1
02-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Congrats!!!

Jazzy
02-01-2004, 06:47 AM
wat a victory for Rogi & also no.1 he's got the whole package to take with him on the plane

Nymeria
02-01-2004, 06:55 AM
congrats Roger :woohoo: :worship:

Vass
02-01-2004, 06:55 AM
Congrat's Roger, u are the best right now.

PS: how many autograph did he sign today?

Doris Loeffel
02-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Ganz herzlichen Glückwunsch Roger!!

Big Concrats Roger!!
Great win !!!
You deserved it - even though Marat would have deserved it too but was running out of steam and you took (finally) your chances!! What a day it was really worth to stay up (did the parting befor the match ;) ) and now I'm having a headacke but you made up for it with your win!!

Good luck for the rest of the season and keep rollign!!

federerfan7465
02-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Pics of Roger with his trophy!

federerfan7465
02-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Lets try this again

federerfan7465
02-01-2004, 01:08 PM
And.

federerfan7465
02-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Sorry guys

federerfan7465
02-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Sorry guys, I'll try later. This picture thing isnt working out.

Mrs. B
02-01-2004, 01:36 PM
interview with Roger, AO Champ 2004
from the AO Offical Site

Q. At this time after Wimbledon, how does the feeling compare now to how you felt sitting in that chair in London?

ROGER FEDERER: Totally different really because, like I've always said, that Wimbledon victory for me was such a dream and such a relief. I cannot really describe what I felt right then, right there.

But now I kind of know how it feels. It's still really nice. It just gets me all emotional inside. Yeah, it's just unbelievable. You know, you come here, you prepare, you leave after three weeks basically, and you're finally the winner after such a long time.

It just really feels good.

Q. What do you hear from Juliette? "Congratulations"?

ROGER FEDERER: Nothing.

Q. Nothing?

ROGER FEDERER: Nothing. Disappointment, big disappointment (smiling).

Q. Perhaps tomorrow.

ROGER FEDERER: Perhaps, yeah.

Q. How much tension was there in you today in that match?

ROGER FEDERER: Very much in the beginning because I first also had to see how Marat was going to play. I had definitely my game plan, but it was important to see how he's going to play, if he's going to play aggressive or change something about his game to play me.

But it came the way I expected. He returned really well in the beginning. You know, that made me wonder about my serving. I didn't feel like I was serving great today, but I was playing well from the baseline, moving well. It was good for me to come back in the first set. Looking back, that first set was crucial to the match.

Q. You made reference over the two weeks to a number of matches in 2003 which were obviously sticking in your memory, trying to gain No. 1 in 2003, plus the Davis Cup. This time around, these two weeks you've been able to really work through those, and you're happy now with the way you finished this one?

ROGER FEDERER: Oh, yeah, I'm very happy, obviously. I thought I played great basically from the first round on because normally you always have some difficulties in the beginning. But I never had a feeling that I had one match these whole two weeks where I thought, "I'm not hitting the ball fine." I thought especially the Lleyton Hewitt match was one of the most exciting for me these two weeks. Obviously, the one from today.

Q. You mentioned revenge a couple of times. Have you gotten revenge from a couple of those defeats from last year?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, especially against Nalbandian and Hewitt, that was for me very important to beat them because I've had bad records against them. To have won the tournament with beating these guys, really it adds, you know, just more - more quality - even better.

Q. Do you think it's possible to win a Grand Slam calendar year?

ROGER FEDERER: It's so difficult to answer. I have really no idea what it takes. But I've said it in the past, I feel like not many guys can do it. If there are anybody, I would like them to step forward, say they can do it, because I think it's really difficult. You know, I'm the only guy who has a chance this year to do it, so that's not a bad situation (smiling). We'll see what happens at the French.

Q. Do you think it's possible, though? Do you think it can be done in this day and age?

ROGER FEDERER: Very difficult. Very difficult.

Q. The opinion seems to be from all the other players and most of the people around here that you have the most complete game in the game. Can you see that in yourself?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I'm maybe the most natural ball-striker, I don't know. I'm not going to start praising myself. But just for me, my game feels natural. I feel like I'm living the game when I'm out there. I feel when a guy is going to hit the ball, I know exactly with the angles and the spins, I just feel that I've got that figured out. And that is just a huge advantage.

Also when it gets important, I feel like I can raise my game. All these little things make me a good player. Yeah, I don't know. Ask other players.

Q. Looking back, you're more surprised that you didn't play a final in a Slam before last Wimbledon, or that you won two Slams losing just one set in Wimbledon and two sets here?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I prefer here, like the way it is right now really. I didn't feel a hundred percent ready yet before, otherwise I would have won a couple of these five-set matches here. In Wimbledon, it was still too early. After that, I had some, you know, not good enough results to actually come close to win a Slam.

And Wimbledon was my first chance. You know, I missed at the US Open. I lost again to Nalbandian. So since basically a year now, I feel I can win majors. But before, everybody was just talking about it just because I beat Pete Sampras.

Q. Were you surprised you just missed two sets in this tournament, one set in Wimbledon?>

ROGER FEDERER: You're always surprised. I expect five-setters, but I don't play five-setters because I win easier. That is a nice problem to have.

But, you know, it could also bite you eventually. Marat, he played a lot of five-setters. We go in the fifth, and he feels much more confident. Maybe I get more tired or I don't know how to right away cope with a fifth set. That is a disadvantage.

Obviously, I prefer the way it was and is.

Q. You don't have a coach. Is a strategy of yours because like this you don't have always to give a look to the stands so you save more mental energy?

ROGER FEDERER: I've always tried not to look too much in the stands just because if something like this happens to me, when I don't play without the coach, I'm not lost, you know.

Q. The comments that have been made before you starting the Australian Open about playing without a coach, did that sort of make you more ambitious to win here?

ROGER FEDERER: No, it didn't. For me, it's just an organization to get maybe better prepared. It's something else, let's put it this way. But the motivation was there because the preparation for Australia starts in December when I start practicing. It's not only when you arrive here. When you arrive here, you've already done the work, so...

Q. A lot of great players have not had coaches. Do you feel that maybe you may be turning the thing the other way? But do you need a scout?

ROGER FEDERER: John McEnroe just told me that before there were no coaches. I didn't know that. So I took the decision before I knew.

But I'm not trying to introduce something new to the game. I'm just concerned about my own thing. For me at that moment, it was very difficult to take that decision. But looking back, I wouldn't say it was the right one, but it was an important one because I want to improve, I want to hear new information.

I'll look around, and hopefully I find a coach soon. Because 22, it's too early not to work with a coach.

Q. Do you think you found a coach already?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I haven't found anybody.

Q. You're still looking?

ROGER FEDERER: Still looking, yeah. Like a single man (smiling).

Q. Did you feel as cool on court as you looked?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I was rather relaxed today, especially in the end because I had a double break going into that service game. So I was much more relaxed than I was all the other matches really, except against Todd Reid, where it was really easy.

Yeah, somehow in the end, there was no -- all this nerve, tension. Obviously, if I lose the game at 5-2, then the nerves come back. But was too dominant in the end.

Q. Did you feel heartened when you saw Marat getting unhappy with himself during the match?

ROGER FEDERER: If I?

Q. Did you get encouraged when you saw that?

ROGER FEDERER: No. I just take the situation the way it is. You know, I don't want to say I feel sorry for him, but I know exactly what he feels. Because if I would have been in his position, I would have felt the same way.

You know, then the people get into it. It's not easy. Like you say, he was trying. They almost gave him a hard time, I thought. Because he's not there to joke around. He's there to win the Australian Open. That was I thought kind of heavy on him.

But he's a fair guy. It was a pleasure to play him, like always, I've said before the matches.

Q. There's a great young crop of young players. Do you feel like you can separate yourself from the Ferrero and Hewitt, those guys?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. We have to see what the results are going to be now I would say till the French Open, after Wimbledon. Because I just made it to No. 1 in the world now. Okay, out of the last three, I won two of the Slams, plus the Masters. Maybe it looks this way.

But only the future can tell.

Q. You achieved two goals here: you became No. 1, first Swiss No. 1, first Swiss title in Australia. How big a celebration do you expect in Switzerland? Are they going to give you another cow?

ROGER FEDERER: No, probably not. Juliette doesn't need a friend.

I have no idea, like I said after Wimbledon. I have no idea how the Swiss people will react to this one. Swiss people tend to be a little bit different. But I was very pleased the way they reacted after my Wimbledon win. Hopefully it's going to be something similar.

Q. Marat said he ran out of gas. How soon in the match did you realize that he wasn't 100%?

ROGER FEDERER: Middle of the second. Similar to Ferrero. He was carrying an injury. I don't know if Marat was carrying anything today. But he was just awfully tired, I guess.

Important to just stay focused because my game was going well, exactly the way I wanted it to. You can see on him when he's unhappy. It's not so difficult to take the opportunities there in the end because he just gets frustrated and you know if you keep pressing, you will eventually get him.

Q. Was there any time during the past two weeks that you didn't think you would win the tournament?

ROGER FEDERER: All the time because it's just such a long two weeks. Because you play, you wait, you eat, you sleep, you come back, you wait. It's really difficult to always get motivated again and to say, "Okay. I only won three matches so far, I've got to do four more." That can be quite difficult on your mind.

For me, the last four matches have been unbelievably tough opponents especially. Of course, sometimes doubt came up.

Q. Were those doubts less this time than they were at Wimbledon?

ROGER FEDERER: Oh, yeah. Wimbledon I was just hoping to come far in the tournament, but not to win. Suddenly I'm there standing as the winner.

Here when I made it to I would say semis, I knew that, you know, "Now you're not far away. If Marat wins, he's tired in the final. Ferrero is carrying an injury. If you play well, you can beat all these guys." But to get to that point is a difficult part, I feel.

Q. How much did Czech fitness trainer Pavel Kovac help you?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, he's been traveling with me for over a year now. It's a pleasure to work with him. He's a very nice guy. Looking forward to work with him in the future, as well, because he did a good job.

Q. Who do you think will be the next European soccer champions?

ROGER FEDERER: European championships in Portugal, who knows? I think we can already be quite happy the way it's going in sports right now. Hopefully it continues. Swiss people love sports. Otherwise I wouldn't have been voted Swiss of the year.

Q. The red shirt, was it nationalistic pride?

ROGER FEDERER: I think I'm kind of famous for wearing the red shirt and the white headband. So I stuck to it when I played from the fourth round on. It brought me luck once again. I'm happy about it.

Q. Earlier today they announced next year's men's final will be played at night. Is that going to be tougher for the players?

ROGER FEDERER: I've played a lot of night sessions this year, and I won them all. I won them all at The Masters. It's a good thing for me. I don't think there's wildcards for the finals next year. Got to work all the way up again.

Q. Martina Hingis mentioned you're so big in your own country, you have your own perfume. Do you expect the sales to soar after this week of being the world No. 1 and winning the tournament?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, hopefully. I have no idea. For the moment, we're just on the Swiss market. We're trying to get bigger there. Then we'll see if we go abroad. But we're trying to. You know, it's something we've done all ourselves. It's the Roger Federer fragrance. I helped a lot with it. It's something that means a lot to me. We'll see what happens.

Mrs. B
02-01-2004, 01:40 PM
King Roger I :cool:

lsy
02-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Each time I read interview from Roger, I just kept feeling that he is really genuine and sincere in his anwers. Asked how he feels about his game, he gives honest answers to it (and some might think he's arrogant) but if there's advantages he can take he acknowledges it (about better chances if got into semi coz of Ferrero's injury, Safin's tiredness) and the way he sympathise crowd's pressures on Safin.

Nice guy, nice game :)

yanchr
02-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Congrats again Roger!!

I don't know what to say now. I had never expected you to win it all while being coachless and having such a draw. But you DID it! You always bring surprise to me. What a fantastic fortnight! Though nervousness and worry had always haunted me, the happiness I got was just priceless! Thank you for your beautiful tennis and great performance. You are just like the bright sunshine in Australia while everywhere else was all in deep winter.

All good to the rest of the year! Go!

RogiRulz
02-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Congrats Rogi, you're the best! :bounce: :hearts:

Raquel
02-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Well done Roger! :worship:

You are the best in the world!! :bounce:

Billabong
02-02-2004, 02:19 AM
YEAH Rogi that was great! Continue!!!!!!!!! GO!!!

rogicomel
02-04-2004, 03:25 AM
Let's hope Rogi becomes one of the greatest of all time!!! Meanwhile, juts enjoy his status as the new world numero uno and the new king of Rebound Ace!

Mrs. B
02-28-2004, 07:24 AM
tidbits: Roger sent Peter Lundgren an sms after he beat Ferrero during the semis at the AO and thanked him for getting to no. 1.

ytben
02-28-2004, 08:05 AM
Awww so sweet of Rogi to do that. Thanks Mrs. B for the tidbit :D

BTW is that lil Rogi in your avatar?

Mrs. B
02-28-2004, 08:28 AM
it sure is. cute, huh?

ytben
02-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Super cute & adorable is the word!!! :D

yanchr
02-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Roger is so nice in doing that :D . Thanks Mrs.B for the info...Your avatar...ahhh I felt an impulse to hold the little boy in my arms :angel:

lsy
02-28-2004, 03:09 PM
I'm glad Rogi did that. Where's Lundgren now btw?

Mrs. B, that photo is too cute...though I can hardly recognise that being Rogi :)

Mrs. B
02-28-2004, 03:31 PM
this is the December pic of Roger's 2004 calendar.

Isy, i hope PL is doing good, wherever he is. Probably in Sweden and spending time with his family.

lsy
02-28-2004, 03:41 PM
You're already in December 2004, Mrs. B? Way far ahead ;)

I hope so, I can't forget how he and Mirka was so nervous and anxious in Wimby2003 final.

ytben
02-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Yeah, and PL also cried when Rogi made his speech in Wimbly. I miss seeing him on Rogi's box. Hopes he's doing well.

Jazzy
02-29-2004, 03:04 AM
yeh, same here Isy!!! i no it was emotions on that day!!!