When/If Agassi Retires [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When/If Agassi Retires

jbone_14
01-30-2004, 03:42 AM
I probably wont be interested in watching mens tennis anymore. After Pete retired it was really sad and if he does I probably wont be able to watch tennis. Hes like my favorite tennis player and this was probably his last Australian Open because of his little bow to the crowd. I really dont like any of the new players coming up, so thats probably why.

Chloe le Bopper
01-30-2004, 04:16 AM
Well then you were never a mens tennis fan in the first place, so meh.

I haven't been into the sport long enough to have a favourite who is going to retire soon... but when it happens, I do hope they can go out like Andre is going to.... assuming he doesn't stick a round another 10 years and go out like Chang ;)

Lee
01-30-2004, 04:26 AM
Life goes on!

CooCooCachoo
01-30-2004, 05:47 AM
I'll be even happier :D

oxy
01-30-2004, 05:52 AM
well he is a true champion....i be happy for him....its time to move on, he can't be playing tennis forever, mayb coaching...there is nothing to be sad about....he will retire with his head high afterall he won all 4GS!!!

Crazy_Fool
01-30-2004, 10:01 AM
It will upset me a bit, like it did with Sampras. But at the end of the day, he has had an amazing career so it wont be that bad. But him and Rafter really got me into tennis and I'm not particularly looking forward to when he retires.

So lets hope he stays around for a while yet.

tinkerbell
01-30-2004, 10:48 AM
I probably wont be interested in watching mens tennis anymore. After Pete retired it was really sad and if he does I probably wont be able to watch tennis. Hes like my favorite tennis player and this was probably his last Australian Open because of his little bow to the crowd. I really dont like any of the new players coming up, so thats probably why.
I know where ur coming from. For me the women’s game has never been the same since Steffi retired. I still watch it occasionally but I don’t have the same enthusiasm or interest as I did when she played. Thankfully I still like a few of the men Safin being one of them so my interest will carry on but I will be sad.

*Ljubica*
01-30-2004, 11:23 AM
I personally think Andre should retire this year, because, in my opinion, there is nothing worse than seeing a great player and champion begin to slip down the rankings and lose to people that they would never have lost to a few years ago. I am not an Agassi fan, but can accept that he was one of the greatest players of his generation, - if he retired now he would go out at the top with his pride and dignity intact, unlike people like Chang and Kafelnikov who carried on playing far too long and were often humiliated on court in their later years. Sampras had the right idea - winning a slam and never playing again - you can't go out on more of a "high" than that - good for him!

Raquel
01-30-2004, 12:10 PM
I personally think Andre should retire this year, because, in my opinion, there is nothing worse than seeing a great player and champion begin to slip down the rankings and lose to people that they would never have lost to a few years ago.

I think you are being a bit hard on Andre here. He is not the number 1 in the world but he is hardly slipping down the rankings into the 30s or 40s, he is still top 5. Remember about 5/6 years ago when he slipped down to the 120's and was playing Challengers? That was when he was really losing to players he would have beaten easily years before. By your logic that is when he should have retired because he was way down the ranks and losing to not so great players. Instead he came back and won 5 Slams since then. Also he is losing to quality players, not just anyone. He lost to Federer at the Masters Cup, Ferrero at the US Open, and Safin, who had just beaten No.1 Roddick, at the Australian.

I am not an Agassi fan, but can accept that he was one of the greatest players of his generation, - if he retired now he would go out at the top with his pride and dignity intact unlike people like Chang and Kafelnikov who carried on playing far too long and were often humiliated on court in their later years.

Andre is a fair bit away from losing his dignity just yet. If he lost in the 1st round of the Australian then maybe I would agree, but he lost in the semis (in only his second event since US Open), a round further than Roddick.

Experimentee
01-30-2004, 12:52 PM
I really hope Andre comes back next year. It just wouldnt be the same without him. I have other favourties, but dont cheer for them as intensely as i do for Andre.
I dont think he should go out now at all. Hes still top 5 in the world, and had opportunities to beat Safin, who many regard as the best player in the world, in straight sets! It could have just as easily been Andre who won that, and if he did win I'm sure no one would be saying hes over the hill or should retire! If you even saw that match you'd see Andre was playing amazing tennis and more than matching it with Marat. Its an insult to say he's like Chang or Kafelnikov.

star
01-30-2004, 01:06 PM
To me, it all depends on what satisfies Andre.

If he doesn't want to compete unless he has a good chance to be number one, then he should retire. But, if he only wants to be able to compete at a top 5 level, he should definitely hang around for this season and see what happens. He's still a guy to be feared.

sigmagirl91
01-30-2004, 01:14 PM
When or if Agassi retires, he should want to do it, and he should do it on his own terms-like Edberg did.

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Andre is one of the smartest players out there. He will know when to retire. He is still playing an amazing standard of tennis, why should he retire, at the end of the day it is up to him. I agree he should bow out on a high but it doesnt mean now.

I'm with jbone_14 though, tennis will not be the same without him. I stay up all night to watch him, love to see him win. The other players dont interest me either much, at least not in the same way. I'll probably lose interest altogether when he goes.

Ma. Estefania
01-30-2004, 03:30 PM
I'll be even happier :D

LOL....sort of harsh, but I agree with it. :p

I've never really liked him though I respect him due all his accomplishments on and off court; then if he retires, fine. :)

Gandalf
01-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Knowing that this might be his last season, we should enjoy him as long as we can. I don't see him doing exhibitions or playing in the senior tour.

AgassiFan
02-01-2004, 05:55 AM
Why should Agassi retire?

Granted he put his patented choking on against Coria (when was the last time Roddick made it to the quarters at FO?) and Phillipoousis where his back-hander basically dissappeared......BUT:

-He later made it to USO 1/2
-Lost to Federer in the prestigious Championship series Final
-Lost to Nabhaldian in yet another Final
-Finally, despite playing technically "dirty" tennis, was literally 2 points away (in the two tie-breakers on his own serve) from steamrolling past Safin and making it to this AO Final. (Was downright dominant on his way to 1/2)

The only player who did better in that span was Federer. Now....Andre needs to do something about his 1st serves (at least 60% is a must) AND he needs to back-hander because Coria, Philli, Ferrero and Safin flat-out took advantage of his left side and beat him.

As long as he plays a clean, powerful game (think his match against Pete in 2001 USO quarters) , and stays healthy........given his remarkable talent and fitness, Andre can play another 2-3 years.

Right now he needs to concentrate on winning two more majors to make it to double digits, and from there on out he can focus on finishing out the last year (hopefully 2006) of his career.

Cheers.

tangerine_dream
02-01-2004, 05:58 AM
I hate threads that have the words "Agassi" and "retire" in them. Premature! :(

faboozadoo15
02-01-2004, 06:12 AM
if you cannot stomache the thought of tennis after andre, you are falling victim to espn... u need to find another player to watch.
i know this bc i'm going through this with monica seles right now. she's been my favorite player since like 91, which is pretty much my entire life of watching tennis. but i can appreciate the game still soo much and im finding a lot of new players that i can learn to like as much as her hopefully one day.

AgassiFan
02-01-2004, 07:14 AM
My "other" player is Federer, and I can honestly say that unlike many if not most of his fans I began rooting for him since the JUNIORS and am NOT a front-runner. By the time people watched him dismatle Pete Sampras at 2001 Wimbleton with their jaws dropped, I was already yawning.

Another thing that will keep me in tennis after Andre goes is Marat Safin because he is my countryman and because I consider him to be the 3rd most talented player after Federer and Agassi.

Yet another is my strong dislike for Leyton Hewitt.

Yet another is my dislike for Andy Roddick.

And I don't think that Seles-Agassi comparison is apt at all.. Monica cannot touch either of Williams sisters, Capriati, Devenport, Henin-Hardenne, Clisters, any of the upcoming russian girls, etc. She is not a top 10 player anymore even at her best........Whereas Agassi can still beat ANYBODY when he brings his A game (which unforunately hasn't happened since 2003 AO). Talent-wise, his only peer is Federer, but Andre is much more fit.

The only thing that may/will stop Andre from playing another 3 years and winning 2 or more Slams while being in the top 5 is HEALTH. If his legs hold, he shouldn't even think about retiring before 2006. My only suggestion to him is to STOP trying to win Another Rolan Garros because it's NOT gonna happen-- concentrate instead on Wimbledon and US Open.

tennischick
02-01-2004, 09:18 AM
when Andre retires, i will miss him but i will continue to watch and appreciate tennis. i am a fan of the sport more than i am of any particular player.

WyverN
02-01-2004, 10:40 AM
I base this on Agassi's own statements that winning slams are the only things that keep him going on the tour these days. If that's not true - if he really plays for other reasons like the sheer love of competing, getting out of the house and away from the wife and kids (just kidding), still is thrilled by winning non-slam events, etc. - than of course he should continue to play for as long as those
factors still motivate him.

But if it really is about winning the slams, he should announce his retirement (effective at the end of this year's USO) because it is clear that his days of winning slams are over. He has no realistic chance of winning W, the FO, or the USO this year, so he should play them one last time to say 'goodbye' to the fans, and then bow out.

If he doesn't do that because he still believes he can win slams, IMO he is fooling himself.

Ada Monroe
02-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Oh please! Talk about overreacting. :rolleyes:

Experimentee
02-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Andre is still a Slam contender. I wouldnt write off any top 5 player's Slam chances, especially not one who almost beat Safin who was playing at his best. I definitely still think he can win a Slam, and his best chances are AO and US Open.

Crazy_Fool
02-01-2004, 02:59 PM
I hate threads that have the words "Agassi" and "retire" in them. Premature! :(
Me too!!

AgassiFan
02-01-2004, 10:40 PM
But if it really is about winning the slams, he should announce his retirement (effective at the end of this year's USO) because it is clear that his days of winning slams are over. He has no realistic chance of winning W, the FO, or the USO this year, so he should play them one last time to say 'goodbye' to the fans, and then bow out.

Please tell me you're kidding.

Agassi is VERY competitive in almost every Slam he competes in-- hell, even in his weakest French Open, he made Quarterfinals.

In his SEMIFINAL losses to Ferrro and Safin, he was literally a couple of key points on his serve away from advancing to the Final. I am not even gonna mention how he crushed top 10 players Schrishapan and Grosjean on his way up to 1/2.

The only thing that can stop Agassi on the way to semis/finals in the next 11 slams is his HEALTH-- as long as his legs stay healthy, you will see him compete at the HIGHEST level.

And that's what makes him different from Boris Becker, Sanchez Vicario, Monica Seles-- in the last couple of year of their careers they had NO prayer making it to the 1/4 finals let alone semis or finals.

Burying Agassi before 2006 will be a huge mistake.

J. Corwin
02-01-2004, 10:52 PM
He should and will do it on his terms. I don't think he cares about the #1 ranking. He's looking to peaking and winning the big ones.

Crazy_Fool
02-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Burying Agassi before 2006 will be a huge mistake.
Lets hope so! But seriously its like whenever he doesnt win a slam now its the end for him. Please, when he didnt win a slam a few yrs ago, was it the end for him then?! He cant win every slam he plays in can he? Unless that is what some of you are trying to imply. But actually you are probably just haters. In the slams he has played recently, Coria, MarkP, Ferrero, Safin have all had to play at their best to beat him. He's not disgracing himself is he? So I cant figure out why ppl think he's finished. He still destroys most players he plays against.

AgassiFan
02-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Lets hope so! But seriously its like whenever he doesnt win a slam now its the end for him. Please, when he didnt win a slam a few yrs ago, was it the end for him then?! He cant win every slam he plays in can he? Unless that is what some of you are trying to imply. But actually you are probably just haters. In the slams he has played recently, Coria, MarkP, Ferrero, Safin have all had to play at their best to beat him. He's not disgracing himself is he? So I cant figure out why ppl think he's finished. He still destroys most players he plays against

Look guys/girls....

I am a realist and I realize full well that Agassi will have a hard road to winning, namely Roddick and Federer. I do not think he is a #1 anymore, but he is still EASILY top 5.

As long as he stays healthy, he will have 9 to 11 MORE shots at Grand slam tournaments. If he wins 2 or 3, it will be MORE than enough for Andre and his fans. Let Roddick, Federer and Ferrero win the remaining 8-9.

Anmdre should concenrate less on retirement and more on his friggin' BACK-HANDER which caused him easy victories against Ferrero at USO and Safin at AO.

Crazy_Fool
02-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Anmdre should concenrate less on retirement and more on his friggin' BACK-HANDER which caused him easy victories against Ferrero at USO and Safin at AO.
Yeah, what has happened to that shot in recent months. At the masters cup he could not play one to save his life! He seems tentative to go down the line now.

AgassiFan
02-01-2004, 11:41 PM
I don't think he cares about the #1 ranking. He's looking to peaking and winning the big ones.

Exactly.

If I am Agassi, I pray that I stay healthy enough and that Roddick/Federer run into emotional problems or identity crisis (as it often happens to young players including young Agassi) in the next 2-3 years.

All Agassi has to do is win just TWO more slams in the next 3 years and triumphantly retire at 2006 USO at the age of 36.

Who cares if he will only be seeded #5 or #7 by then?

WyverN
02-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Please tell me you're kidding.

Agassi is VERY competitive in almost every Slam he competes in-- hell, even in his weakest French Open, he made Quarterfinals.

Competetive, yes but he wont be winning any more.

In his SEMIFINAL losses to Ferrro and Safin, he was literally a couple of key points on his serve away from advancing to the Final. I am not even gonna mention how he crushed top 10 players Schrishapan and Grosjean on his way up to 1/2.

umm Ferrero beat him in a routine 4 setter. Safin beat him on a surface where Agassi has been invincible.

I sure hope Agassi doesnt hang around until he is beaten consistently by the Schrishapan types but thats his choice.

The only thing that can stop Agassi on the way to semis/finals in the next 11 slams is his HEALTH-- as long as his legs stay healthy, you will see him compete at the HIGHEST level.

Quite possibly until the end of this year he will compete at the highest level but he wont win at the highest level.

And that's what makes him different from Boris Becker, Sanchez Vicario, Monica Seles-- in the last couple of year of their careers they had NO prayer making it to the 1/4 finals let alone semis or finals.

didnt read my post?
If Agassi is happy making 1/4 finals and semis then please keep going but he wont be winning any more slams

WyverN
02-01-2004, 11:45 PM
As long as he stays healthy, he will have 9 to 11 MORE shots at Grand slam tournaments. If he wins 2 or 3, it will be MORE than enough for Andre and his fans.

I realize you are a Agassi fan but if you seriously think Agassi will win another 2 or 3 more slams out of the next 11 then your setting yourself up for a huge dissapointment

MisterQ
02-01-2004, 11:50 PM
I increasingly think it's a long shot for Agassi to win another GS, now that a few of the younger players have matured considerably in the past year. That's one reason I (and Andre too, I think) found this loss vs. Safin particularly hard. But it is true that many of his losses have come in the quarters and semis --- change a few points and he would have beaten Safin in straight sets -- and anytime a player is making it that far there is always the chance they will make it through for a win.

Personally, I have a feeling he will not be playing that much longer. I'm disappointed about it, but I would like to see him to go out still embodying excellence.

AgassiFan
02-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Yeah, what has happened to that shot in recent months. At the masters cup he could not play one to save his life! He seems tentative to go down the line now.

Yeah, I thought that after that ridiculous loss to Coria at FO quarters, Andre should have fired whoever is responsible for his mechanics and game strategy. He played stupid, methodical tennis continually leaving his left side WIDE open long after Coria showed that he can make the down the line shot and that he WON'T get tired running all day long.

Agassi backhander used to be lethal and his serve returns were best in the game......Now, he seems to be preoccupied with just returning the ball over the net no matter how slow AND seems content with running all game long-- at 34 I would think he would want to keep exchanges as SHORT as possible......But he does the OPPOSITE!!!!

I say Andre should start bringing his OLD POWER power and hope he hits enough winners to beat his much younger opponnets. I am SICK and tired of seeing Andre finish games with only 20 winners .....

AgassiFan
02-01-2004, 11:59 PM
I realize you are a Agassi fan but if you seriously think Agassi will win another 2 or 3 more slams out of the next 11 then your setting yourself up for a huge dissapointment

I said 3 will be a "maximum".

If he "only" wins 1 or 2 in the next 3 years and makes solid appearances (say quarsters or semis) in a few others.....I think it will be worth it.

Again, I agree that his backhander must be CRISPER if he wants to accomplish his goal. Against both Ferrero and especially Safin, his backhander on a few crucial points cost him two final appearances. Not too shabby.

I think we must watching two different Andres the way you describe how futile his struggle is. I also think people are overrating Roddick. The guy will have to become a true grinder and keep his emotions in check if he wants to be in it slam after slam. There are a lot of guy with 1 grand slam victory, but repeating it is quite another matter altogether.

Just ask Safin, Hewitt, Ferrero, Kefelnikov, Stich, Rios, Chang, etc, etc, etc

WyverN
02-02-2004, 12:09 AM
Again, I agree that his backhander must be CRISPER if he wants to accomplish his goal. Against both Ferrero and especially Safin, his backhander on a few crucial points cost him two final appearances. Not too shabby.

I also think people are overrating Roddick. The guy will have to become a true grinder and keep his emotions in check if he wants to be in it slam after slam. There are a lot of guy with 1 grand slam victory, but repeating it is quite another matter altogether.

stop contradicting yourself. First you praise how Andre came within a few points of beating Safin and is therefore a force in tennis and potential grand slam winner then you hillariously accuse Roddick of being overrated yet he came far closer to beating Safin in QF (had break points in 5th set).

WyverN
02-02-2004, 12:10 AM
btw Hewitt and Kafelnikov won 2 slams and Rios never won any slams

AgassiFan
02-02-2004, 12:19 AM
If Agassi is happy making 1/4 finals and semis then please keep going but he wont be winning any more slams

I am sorry....I didn't realize I was in the presence of a prophet. My bad. :rolleyes:

Let's see in the last 4 months:

-Semis (and that 4 setter, where he and Ferrero played some ugly tennis was FAR from "routine") at the USO
-Final at the Masters Championship
-Another Final to start off 2004
-2 frustrating tie-breakers away from AO Final, the tournament where he didn't drop a set before reaching the 1/2

Should he improve his back-hander, 1st serve AND try to keep exchanges short as possible in order to give himself the best chance possible? Yes.

But is still a TOP 3 player in the world? No f*cking question. How you could say a top 3 player has "no chance" at winning a Slam, especually considering how both Roddick and Federer have in the past not even made it to the quarters....that puzzles me.

All Andre is a couple more Slams in the next 2-3 years and he will be more than happy.

AgassiFan
02-02-2004, 12:29 AM
then you hillariously accuse Roddick of being overrated yet he came far closer to beating Safin in QF (had break points in 5th set).

What are you talking about? Agassi had breaking points in 1 AND 2 sets against Safin, inclduing on SECOND serve.

As if that wasn't enough, he had set-points in EACH of the tie-breakers on his OWN serve.

Finally, he was up a break (after breaking Marat 3 times in the 4th set no less) in the 5th set.

You must admit that if Agassi just takes advantage of ONE of his chances in the first two sets, the complexion of the game CHANGES with much more pressure beinng put on Marat at 1-1/0-2 than at 2-0.....By winning just one of the first two sets, you have to admit that Andre would have taken the match in 4.

I am not saying Andre "deserved" to win because Marat pkayed veyr quality tennis, but Andre came MUCH closer to winning it than you give him credit for. Surprise, suprise.

And my comment on Roddick absolutely stands. Meyton Hewitt AND Marat Saffin were on top of the world circa 2000-2001 USOs.....Later they realized how much TOUGHER it is to maintain the #1 ranking than to attain it. That's what made Pete Sampras so special-- work ethic and nerves of steel. It remains to be seen how Mr. Mandy Moore responds.

WyverN
02-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Finally, he was up a break (after breaking Marat 3 times in the 4th set no less) in the 5th set

No he wasnt.

By winning just one of the first two sets, you have to admit that Andre would have taken the match in 4.

Why?
If Andre had won 1 of the first 2 sets there is no gurantee the rest of the sets would play out as they did.

AgassiFan
02-02-2004, 01:15 AM
No he wasnt.

Why?
If Andre had won 1 of the first 2 sets there is no gurantee the rest of the sets would play out as they did.

Wasn't he leading 2-1 and serving in the 5th? It doesn't matter if he was or was not because my point hinges on the first 2 sets anyway, but just a technicality.

Guarantees? Of course there are no guarantees, not when such a close match is being played out where ONE crucial point make decide all.......

BUT, odds are, if Agassi did take advantage of just ONE (let alone 2 or more) chances in the first 2 seats, hei wouldn't need to be so desperate thereafter and would probably overtake Safin in the 3rd and 4th sets as he did anyway, semething that would have been facilitated by the fact that at 1-1 (let alone at 0-2) Marat would have much more pressure on him--- if you know anything about tennis, you'd know that when you're up 2-0 in sets, it's MUCH easier to stay loose and win the match.

Again, I am not sure why we're even arguing about this. Agassi was easiluy as good as Safin was, competing for a Final appearance after dominating his way through first 5 matches. Roddick is not a MESSIAH he is made out to be and has a VERY tough mental and psychical road ahead of him if he wants to be a favorite. Both fact are indesputable.....But hey, if you want to pretend that Andre has no "prayer in hell" of winning another slam, Mr. Prescient One, then by all means. It's possible that he won't win another one, though I personally think that if he stays relatively healthy, he will win a couple more with some improvement to his back-hander/2nd service return.

Agree to disagree.

l_mac
02-02-2004, 01:49 AM
Agassi was unlucky against Safin, but then if Safin had lost the same could have been said for him. It was a great match. Best of the championship for me.

Like the original poster, I too will find it hard to maintain the same level of interest in tennis after Agassi retires. I've been following his career since 1990 and he has been great value - the best "story" in tennis by a long way and I think he's done the most to raise interest in mens' tennis for the past 15 years. The old man is still the biggest draw in tennis, it'll be a huge loss when he does retire.

I hope he has a few more years in him.

J. Corwin
02-02-2004, 02:41 AM
Although I'm beginning to doubt Andre's chances at winning another GS, I would love for him to win just one more. That would take him out of and place him above the "crowded" group of players with 8 slams (aka Connors, Rosewall, Lendl...).

I still he think he can do it with a kind draw and some luck at the AO and USO.

AgassiFan
02-02-2004, 05:15 AM
I still he think he can do it with a kind draw and some luck at the AO and USO.

I think you have it right. Kudos.

PLain fact is, Andre can no longer beat people up playing his B-game.
If he want to win a couple more slams, he needs his A-game and that means:

--More pace on his backhander.
--Shorter exchanges, taking more risk.
--Better 2nd serve returns because against Safin and Ferrero, his returns were laughably tantative as though he was still back at home hitting practice shots to his young son. No urgency whatsoever.
--Healthy legs.

If the above 4 are met AND he gets a fairly easy draw, I see him winning a couple more slams no problem.

Action Jackson
02-02-2004, 05:26 AM
He has had easy draws at the FO for years and still hasn't come close to winning that tournament since 1999.

I have never liked Agassi, but I totally respect all his achievements and how he fought back from the challengers to reach the top of the mountain again.

If he is enjoying playing then he should continue, but I don't see him winning any more Slams before he retires.

AgassiFan
02-02-2004, 06:10 AM
I find it troubling that so many of you can dismiss a TOP 4 player's chances so quickly.

If you don't believe he is favorite, fine-- I don't think he outght to be a favorite either....But chances are, Agassi is more likely to win those precious two slams before 2006 than Safin or Ferrero to win two slams COMBINED before 2005.

I guess we have a different definition of "competing". In my book, Kefelnikov, AlAnuyi and Grosjean "compete" but have no chance of winning....whereas Agassi, Safin and Hewitt also "compete" but with SOME chance of winning even if neither could be called a favorite at his point.

Hell-- and I am tired of repeating this-- in just the last 4 months Andre 1) made it to the USO semis, 2) Masters championship Final, 3) Melbourne tune-up Final (beating Federer on the way up) and 4) was literally a few points away from an AO Final this past Thursday.....

What other sign do you need as proof that he still "got it"? A Golden Grand Slam? A 52-week #1 rank? Pah-lease.....

AgassiFan
02-02-2004, 06:24 PM
I know people have been debating Agassi vs. Safin in terms of who is FITTER. I think Andre kicks his ass in bench-pressing, but Safin definately has stronger, YOUNGER legs. Can't argue with nature.

I also find network people overrating Andre's fitness (as they had veen overhyping Pete's forehander) a bit JARRING. He was playing Juan Carlos Ferrero who was out there for 3RD consecutive day and spent more time on court overalll in the tourney.....and yet Andre was MORE exhausted and tentative. Puts things in perspective.

Finally, I could never understand why Andre is trying to pretend he is Michael Chang/Guillermo Coria. WHY? Instead of playing a more-powerful tennis with power strokes and mind-boddling service returns that have been his bread and butter....Andre seems to be content with JUST getting the ball over the net and not make a mistake, often DELIBERATELY trying to PROLONG point exchanges with his much younger, much fresher opponents.

What's the point? No matter how fit, Andre can't outrun people anymore. Why not try to play a riskier but more powerful tennis and hopefully hit enough winners to intimidate his opponent into choking......?

Someone tell me.

tennischick
02-02-2004, 06:47 PM
as long as Andre keps going deep into the draw and perhaps loses matches as closely as he did to Safin, then i won't mind if he continues to stick around. what i would not want is for him to embarass himself by hanging around the tour just being a punching bag for any whipper-snappper looking for target-practice. he has worked too hard to disgrace himself like that. and he is surrounded by a much too intelligent team of people for that to ever happen IMO.

Sjengster
02-02-2004, 06:53 PM
AgassiFan, you could at least try to spell some of those pesky foreign players' names right. And BTW, not to be picky or anything but Agassi is actually no longer a Top 4 player. I think his game is based around prolonging rallies - sure, he takes the ball early and hits it big, but his game is all about physically punishing his opponent and moving him about from side to side until he wears out, not snapping off quick winners right and left. Which is why he could be in dead trouble against the likes of Safin and Nalbandian who can stick in the rallies and throw his pace back at him even harder.

AgassiFan
02-02-2004, 07:21 PM
AgassiFan, you could at least try to spell some of those pesky foreign players' names right.

Please....I spelled most of them right. Did you have difficulty understanding who I mean by AlAnuyi? Phonetically, it's correct.....And correcting others' ocassional spelling mistakes on a message board is quite LAME.....But hey, if it's your thang, go for it.

And BTW, not to be picky or anything but Agassi is actually no longer a Top 4 player.

I concede you Federer and Roddick. I may even concede you Ferrero (even though their last two matches were pretty close and they split them) because he can't be touched on Clay. But if you think Safin, Coria, Nabaldian or Hewitt are clearly better than Agassi, I have real estate on Mars to sell you. Thinking Andre is no longer in his prime is ONE thing ( I agree), but making him out to be some sort of wash-up weakling who has no chance of winning another Slam is RIDICULOUS.

I think his game is based around prolonging rallies - sure, he takes the ball early and hits it big, but his game is all about physically punishing his opponent and moving him about from side to side until he wears out

Yeah, but his opponents are YOUNGER and with BETTER legs than Andre, so this strategy fails more than it can afford to fail. Andre is no longer 25.

<b>not snapping off quick winners right and left. </b>

You expend much more energy during 10-15 shot exchanges than you do trying to go for winners on every shot, something that Pete Sampras did very well. Andre is to be the kind of player who hits LINES all day long during practice, but when it's game time, he has lately become so TENTATIVE as to seriously question his trainer's competency.

Which is why he could be in dead trouble against the likes of Safin and Nalbandian who can stick in the rallies and throw his pace back at him even harder.

Nabaldian I have to agree to some extent, even though they split their last 2 meets.......But Agassi was NOT in "dead trouble" against Marat-- it was an extremely tight match which Agassi pretty much squandered in the first two sets by failing to win a single crucial point on routine shots.........It was match that could have gone either way even if Agassi didn't play his best tennis.

Sjengster
02-02-2004, 07:51 PM
FYI I don't go around correcting everyone's spelling mistakes, but you didn't even try to spell Kafelnikov and El Aynaoui's names right. Phonetic spelling is just lazy.

I was talking about the rankings - yes, that's why I said I was being picky because in terms of level of play then he is clearly still a Top 4 player.

Further to the above, there's no way Agassi could stay a Top 4 player if he suddenly started going for winners on every shot - isn't that the kind of thing Blake and Gonzalez do? True, he has far more control and consistency than they will ever have, but you'll note these days that when he does start hitting out it's because he's behind in a match. And he nearly always ends up losing.

I said "could", not will be in trouble against Nalbandian and Safin. Safin is just coming back into the game, he's only going to get better this year and he has the all-round power to make Agassi's shots look somewhat lightweight at times.

AgassiFan
02-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Evgeniy is MY countryman and I will spell his name any damn way I please. :) Especially considering I got it almost right-- were I to spell it as Cafenikovsky, then yeah.....But it was close enough and I usually spell the overwhelming majority of names right, so drop this lame ball-busting BS, will ya?

And I am NOT suggesting Andre go for a stupid shot all the time.

What I AM saying is that:

1) Even if that strategy worked, at 34 he CAN'T afford 10-20 shot exhanges because of law of physiology. The shorter points the better.

2) But the strategy does NOT work: how many times in the last year did he have Coria, Ferrero and Safin at BREAK-POINT in crucial point of the match and instead of POUNDING on their less0than-spectacular SECOND serves as he would have done a few years ago, he was content with MEEKLY getting the ball over the net, which mean a sure loss of point. I mean, even if his riskier, more powerful shot ends up going just wide and he loses the point, at least he could say he gave it his BEST.....whereas when he safely leaves the ball in the middle of his opponent's court, Ferrero and Safin are good enough to kill it into the open court.

Ivan Lendl once said that if his legs could take the daily grind, he could be a ton 10 player at 40 easy.......What made Andre think that he could BASE his game around his LEGS, at 34? I would think he'd try to utilize the hand-eye coordination, baseline power and try to keep his 1st serve % as high as possible......But hey, if he want to run all day against much younger, fresher opponents, it's his business. I think it's stupid.

tennischick
02-02-2004, 11:13 PM
i vote 14. years old. tops.

Leena
02-02-2004, 11:27 PM
When Andre retires, I'll enjoy tennis even more...

It's not that I don't respect his game, and such... it's just gotten very boring watching every single one of his GS matches, for over 12 years now.

Of course, this problem will ensue again tenfold with the Duck... but that shoulder eventually has to hurt.

A new tennis era is coming, and I want to see it.

WyveN
02-03-2004, 12:53 AM
I also find network people overrating Andre's fitness (as they had veen overhyping Pete's forehander) a bit JARRING. He was playing Juan Carlos Ferrero who was out there for 3RD consecutive day and spent more time on court overalll in the tourney.....and yet Andre was MORE exhausted and tentative. Puts things in perspective.

thats exactly why he almost certainly wont win any more slams

tennischick
02-03-2004, 12:58 AM
...Of course, this problem will ensue again tenfold with the Duck... but that shoulder eventually has to hurt.

A new tennis era is coming, and I want to see it.
kindly restrict your bashing to the Bald One. Duckboy is NOT the topic of this thread. not that i disagree with ya about the Quacker...;)

AgassiFan
02-03-2004, 02:04 AM
I think you peeps need to realize what you're watching.

In the last 4 years, we've had Ferrero, Federer, Nabahldian, Kuerten, Agassi, Sampras, Safin, Rafter, Kefelnikov and Roddick-- ANY of those 10 could have been if not #1 then certainly in top 3 during 70's/80s

Women's tennis got the most publicity, but I find it RIDICULOUSLY boring. Zzzzz.......

thats exactly why he almost certainly wont win any more slams

Who knows, one of these days Andre wisens up, fired his coach and starts playing the tennis he SHOULD be playing at this stage of his life: power from the left side, power from the right side, well-placed high-%1st serves and SHORT matches where phisical difference between him and his younger opponents will be far less pronounced.

If he loses that way, then so be it, but what this "grinding it out for 3+ hours" crap he is doing right now is product of DENIAL. The reason Michael Chang and Coria play that trype of tennis is because the CAN'T play anything else; Andre can and SHOULD.

IMO.

Agassi Fan
05-11-2004, 09:58 AM
tennis will not be the same without him.
I'll don't watch more tennis, when Andre doesn't play. He is the best!

per4ever
05-11-2004, 10:07 AM
I will sure miss him a lot if he retires :(

Alan
05-11-2004, 10:19 AM

good for you and GOOD for the TENNIS WORLD!

i think it's always good to see new players challenge the big guns!

babayooo!

alfonsojose
05-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Andre, do whatever you want but don't you dare to do a painful Chang good-bye :(

YoursTruly
05-11-2004, 04:49 PM
I'd be upset, of course. But a lot of tennis fans seem to have been preparing themselves for if this time were to come. I know I did. And it wouldn't be surprising if Andre retired at the end of the year because he's still ranked pretty high and is making the later rounds as usual, and this is an Olympic year.

Deejay
05-11-2004, 08:36 PM
It wont be the same without him, simple as that. He is the last of his generation. Andre only plays now because one he wants to win more slams, and two he simply loves the game - like Michael Jordan with basketball.

If Andre doesnt win any more slams he will still walk away from the game a happy man knowing that he is one of the greatest players to ever live and his record is of the highest standard....