WTF [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WTF

partygirl
07-28-2006, 06:43 AM
I posted this in the match thread but i really think it deserves a discussion
all these painful yet not too serious injuries at the most crucial moments in his development & mindset.
Im not saying they are not real or painful....

OK well i'm looking at Deb's new signature amendment, and i think It is entirely possible to be so mental that you sabatage yourself anytime you start to get what you want or need.

At this point i think its a distinct possibility with Andy because getting hurt is one thing but being one of the most well conditioned & injury free players around to only, really not get TOO hurt, but hurt enough TO GET IN YOUR OWN WAY ...is not coincidence and it Ain't cool.

Andy seems like the type to be the biggest obsticle to himself.:fiery:
I'm not saying its obvious or that he is even aware of it, but mentality and the things that can go wrong with it, is the reason they call it CRAZY:wavey:

If it is even remotely true or possible (which it could be) Get the Doc already :rolleyes::confused::o

...put everyone on team freakin' roddick damn it entourage it up!

J. Corwin
07-28-2006, 06:52 AM
He's worked hard on his conditioning and he's as fit as he can be so he is fortunate enough to not have any really big injuries that could have him sidelined long term. :) He just has bad luck. :awww:

partygirl
07-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Its like that inexplicable illness or whatever in Davis cup...

I just cannot believe there is'nt any self sabotage (or something like it)
going on, it almost seems obvious.
Especially if he has in some way lost his passion for the game he can't take time away from.
- it would make sense sort of

at least to a reformed head case.:)

J. Corwin
07-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Its like that inexplicable illness or whatever in Davis cup...

I just cannot believe there is'nt any self sabatoge (or something like it) going on, it almost seems obvious.
Especially if he has in some way lost his passion for the game he can't take time away from
- it would make sense sort of.

at least to a reformed head case.:)

Oh yeah, Andy's a masochist. ;)

Is this your idea of kink, Larah. :devil:

partygirl
07-28-2006, 07:43 AM
Oh yeah, Andy's a masochist. ;)

Is this your idea of kink, Larah. :devil:
More like my idea of being whacky in the head and unknowingly counterproductive.:shrug::shrug:

binkygirl
07-28-2006, 09:28 AM
I get what you're saying. Andy is seeing the big picture, i.e. that he could quit playing tennis now and be comfortable for the rest of his life. However, there is no way for him to simply walk away, his parents would be against it and so would his brother John, who very likely would have enjoyed everything that Andy has achieved in tennis, not to mention the money. Plus, he has numerous contracts to honor. He's trapped. Perhaps the core of the personality conflict with Brad was that Andy simply didn't want to do the course of work Brad was planning for him.

binkygirl
07-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention. Maria Sharapova was at the match tonight. She was sitting in my section with some friends.

the_natural
07-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Just so you know, Andy's serving technique isnt the kindest on the body, puts pressure on the back and especially the shoulder with the way his serving arm moves on the "take back".

Deboogle!.
07-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Just so you know, Andy's serving technique isnt the kindest on the body, puts pressure on the back and especially the shoulder with the way his serving arm moves on the "take back".Great, but he got hurt hitting a passing shot.

As for the rest of this thread.... :scratch:

tangerine_dream
07-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Is there a dark angel out there that likes to punish Andy for some reason? Every time he starts finding his groove he gets injured. He has such rotten luck. :(

partygirl
07-28-2006, 05:46 PM
just looking for answers... bad luck only goes so far and people with "issues" have been know to get quite -mmm, complicated

so i'm just asking questions.

what do I know?...stranger things have occured.

Deboogle!.
07-28-2006, 05:48 PM
I just don't understand what you're trying to suggest - that he's getting hurt on purpose?

partygirl
07-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Well not on purpose exactly...i guess the question is could he be
subconsciously tweaking things here or there?

My curiosity is really only sparked by the timing & the nature of these injuries
its always thankfully something minor that happens on court that does'nt really do much but take him out of the moment & fuck up the process when he looks to be finding form or a clue.

it is strange yes and maybe sounds more crazy than im really trying to imply but
you don't think someone kind of trapped in a situation where they are getting from all sides and seemingly losing interest, could or would possibly subconsciously be setting himself up to keep himself in the same stagnate place? mind you in the grand scheme its not such a bad place to be & he usually says so.

time to get psych. down here.

if he ends up being ok this evening i dont know if that will work for or against my argument here.:lol:

Deboogle!.
07-28-2006, 06:12 PM
okay.... I think I'm just gonna disagree and leave you guys alone to discuss this theory :lol:

partygirl
07-28-2006, 06:15 PM
your too fast, Flash.:)

Deboogle!.
07-28-2006, 06:16 PM
your too fast, Flash.:)My fast what? :)

Caren
07-28-2006, 06:17 PM
I don't quite agree with it all but parts of it kinda make sense. I don't think he's sub consciously hurting himself, he just manages to tweak things at bad times and i'm pretty sure that's playing on his mind. I don't think he would be doing it to himself though that's an even bigger mental issue than any of us intended to put onto the dude.

partygirl
07-28-2006, 06:18 PM
AHHHHHHH
you are too fast Flash.

see im quick too, corrected.

partygirl
07-28-2006, 06:26 PM
I don't quite agree with it all but parts of it kinda make sense. I don't think he's sub consciously hurting himself, he just manages to tweak things at bad times and i'm pretty sure that's playing on his mind. I don't think he would be doing it to himself though that's an even bigger mental issue than any of us intended to put onto the dude.

That too is what i hope

...i just don't know how someone continuously "tweaks" (sprains or strains) at every advantageous moment of the past what 8-9-10 months?

Caren
07-28-2006, 11:15 PM
The only thing i can suggest is bad luck :shrug: it's the only thing that i can put it down too, I know it seems impossible to have so much bad luck but usually when goes round as bad as this it sets you up for lots of good luck in the future, at least i hope so :)

Jimnik
07-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Maybe it's better to have the injuries now while Federer and Nadal are at their peak.

In a couple of years, when they're no longer there, he can take over. ;)

Regenbogen
07-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Well not on purpose exactly...i guess the question is could he be
subconsciously tweaking things here or there?

My curiosity is really only sparked by the timing & the nature of these injuries
its always thankfully something minor that happens on court that does'nt really do much but take him out of the moment & fuck up the process when he looks to be finding form or a clue.

it is strange yes and maybe sounds more crazy than im really trying to imply but
you don't think someone kind of trapped in a situation where they are getting from all sides and seemingly losing interest, could or would possibly subconsciously be setting himself up to keep himself in the same stagnate place? mind you in the grand scheme its not such a bad place to be & he usually says so.

time to get psych. down here.

if he ends up being ok this evening i dont know if that will work for or against my argument here.:lol:
So you think he might be purposely injuring himself, but he doesn't really realize that he is? :confused: That's rather worrying :unsure:

partygirl
07-29-2006, 08:19 AM
So you think he might be purposely injuring himself, but he doesn't really realize that he is? :confused: That's rather worrying :unsure:
i guess in a nutshell, i suppose time will tell.
i hope not...but im curious-
i don't know if i really believe in good or bad luck or the persistance & abundence of one or the other:shrug:

binkygirl
07-29-2006, 08:14 PM
In order to be number 1 in tennis, you have to shut out alot of distractions and you don't really get to have a life, because everything you do has to be related to doing whatever it takes to be on top. Andy likes going to Vegas with his friends (like he did after losing early at the US Open last year), hanging out at the lake in Austin with buddies, i.e. basically having a life. Federer does not have the same distractions. His whole life is his tennis routine and the companionship of his girlfriend, along with one or two very close friends. Andy doesn't want to commit to that sort of life anymore. He played his best tennis when he had a steady girlfriend, was getting along well with his coach, and not doing all the hanging out in Austin.

partygirl
07-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Its true.

That is probably why most can only go at it for the first part of your life.

that is kinda what im saying his life is not so bad right now, really
its not unfeasable that subconsciously he would'nt really want things to change.

superpinkone37
07-29-2006, 09:45 PM
In order to be number 1 in tennis, you have to shut out alot of distractions and you don't really get to have a life, because everything you do has to be related to doing whatever it takes to be on top. Andy likes going to Vegas with his friends (like he did after losing early at the US Open last year), hanging out at the lake in Austin with buddies, i.e. basically having a life. Federer does not have the same distractions. His whole life is his tennis routine and the companionship of his girlfriend, along with one or two very close friends. Andy doesn't want to commit to that sort of life anymore. He played his best tennis when he had a steady girlfriend, was getting along well with his coach, and not doing all the hanging out in Austin.bInKy!!!!!!1111173456654161654%$TD76%&^(#%&@68

blosson
07-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Why does some people think Roger doesn't have a life? He's subdue and doesn't give that many interviews but it doesn't mean he's practicing tennis all the time.

Deboogle!.
07-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Roger does have a life, he takes breaks from tennis all the time and goes on vacation and does all kinds of non-tennis related things. Some people just speak and spout off without actually knowing anything :p

blosson
07-29-2006, 11:03 PM
I agree. He travels to resorts for vacation, he does his South African charity thing, he meet friends etc while at home (he said this in an interview). He's just not in your face kind of guy and the paparazzi doesn't haunt him at all.

binkygirl
07-30-2006, 03:23 AM
I sense that Federer is more focused on his tennis than Andy. Andy does not make good choices, like in 2005 when he was at a basketball game with Dean, instead of already flying to Europe for clay season. It was like he was waiting until the last possible moment. Or the loss last year in the semis of Indy to Ginepri, which was really a total loss of concentration on Andy's part. Or firing the coach that led you to a Grand Slam, because the coach wanted you to cut back on playing exhibitions to focus more on improving your game.

I do not think tennis is always number one in his mind in the past two years, its become more of a job he has come to resent at times. That is reflected in his choices.
Its not being anti-Roddick to ask,'What's wrong with Andy?'. Something is wrong.

partygirl
07-30-2006, 04:05 AM
Well yes his preparedness is suspect when it comes to arriving on time or early, but hell he had almost a month jump on London and it did nothing.

Not that i think he should'nt arrive to tournaments earlier.

The Gilbert thing is always going to be a crazy situation because (for me at least) part of me says you had a coach that gave you everything you wanted in tennis yet you did'nt like him off court, okay so just use him for what its worth on court and leave it there.
Some players search their whole lives for that sucessful of a partnership & he just threw it away at the earliest bump in the road.

then again...
life is too short to put up with someone who drives you crazy.

the statement that something is wrong, is right.;)

And i have no answers :p

Deboogle!.
07-30-2006, 04:17 AM
I think we're making an awful lot of judgments about things where it is absolutely impossible to know the truth and we never will, and I don't think it's quite fair to make such sweeping judgments and in some cases accusations when we don't know the whole story.

We will never really know how hard Andy works. All we know is what we can see, and to me this past week he looked very fit and more emotionally in his matches than he has in a while.

We will never know why he fired Brad. What we know is that his slump started under brad, so to make Brad into this savior that Andy was the bad guy to fire is missing many of the facts. We don't know why, and anything we say about it is pure speculation so it'd be unfair to make judgments based on that.

Ultimately, we have no idea what goes on with Andy on a day to day basis. We can all choose to believe what we want and we all have that right, but I think making all these sorts of statements without really knowing the facts is getting to be quite unfair to Andy. I can be hard on him with the best but I ultimately believe he's working as hard as possible to be the best he can - otherwise he wouldn't keep switching coaches and trying these different things and getting so upset. Hell, he cried when he withdrew from RG - that's not the reaction of someone who doesn't want to play and doesn't want to do well, particularly considering it was at RG, his worst Slam by leaps and bounds. If he was as nonchalant about his tennis as some are suggesting, I don't think he would have been so upset.

I don't believe he's happy with the way things have gone the past couple years and I believe that he badly wants to do better and believes he can do better but isn't quite sure how to get there. I think hiring Jimmy was a courageous and bold move; I'm excited about it and willing to give it a chance before I keep judging Andy's commitment. From my own observations, he's as fit and hard-working and committed as any of the guys on tour. I have seen no evidence to suggest that Federer lives and breathes tennis 24/7, he just happens to be insanely blessed with talent. I think it's great that Andy has his life and is grounded and has his buddies where he can unwind, everyone deserves that and I believe he is capable of balancing having a normal life with being an elite athlete. If anything, he was more unprofessional in 2003, so I fail to see any correlation between that and his results anyway. As he himself has said many times, one of the reasons this slump is so difficult for him is that he knows he is a much more professional and harder working player now.

Sorry, I just don't think we're being quite fair when we don't even have any way to know what's going on. and I don't understand why people who are supposedly his fans are willing to believe the worst about him?

/end rant.

Fee
07-30-2006, 04:28 AM
that's a pretty good rant. nothing to add here.

surfpinky
07-30-2006, 04:29 AM
:bowdown:

partygirl
07-30-2006, 04:35 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/basic/unsure.gif
Maybe it is getting judgemental in here,
This is an assumption thread...just so everyone knows. :

* the title will now reflect that.

Deboogle!.
07-30-2006, 04:38 AM
Let me just clarify that my problem is not so much people being judgmental but people proclaiming things as fact where we have no way to know. If people THINK something is the case and blahblahblah that's cool but just saying Andy is this or that or whatever with no factual support is, in my opinion, really unfair. I can only speak for myself but if it were me, that would upset me a lot.

partygirl
07-30-2006, 04:46 AM
That would upset me too, it is a very understandable point.

It's just that None of us knows what really goes on...
none of us are there on a day to day basis so it is all assumption really, educated assumption (if i may call it that) or not.

So no stating AS fact in here:p
...just what you surmise.;) that is not asking too much.

Deboogle!.
07-30-2006, 04:49 AM
Well, things have been stated in this thread as fact that we can't possibly know about for sure. That is all I am saying.

binkygirl
07-30-2006, 06:49 AM
That would upset me too, it is a very understanable point.

It's just that None of us knows what really goes on...
none of us are there on a day to day basis so its all assumption really, educated assumption (if i may call it that) or not.

so no stating as fact here:p just what you surmise.;) that is not asking too much.

Exactly Partygirl.. :worship:

acoffeygirl
07-30-2006, 07:20 AM
I think that if Andy were nonchalant about tennis, or lacking the commitment, or tired of the game (as suggested), or whatever has been said, he wouldn't have had the balls to talk to Jimmy about coaching him. Maybe it really wasn't that big of a deal, but it seems to me that given his record over the past couple of years...going to a tennis great like Jimmy and asking for help, is a pretty good indicator of his self-awareness and his commitment level.

While I do think it is possible to psych yourself out and/or get yourself too worked up (possibly what we witnessed in the first round of DC), I don't think you can subconsciously cause or allow injuries such as Andy has sustained. If these were mysterious injuries or things that really couldn't be identified, then maybe we could make an assumption that he was using injury as an excuse, but I saw the clip from the match, and he went down in obvious pain. There is just no way I'll believe that he subconsciously pulled a muscle or whatever. Furthermore, if he were sabotaging himself...and didn't "care", he wouldn't have gone straight to England from RG after he retired. He new the importance of being there and being prepared. Now obviously he didn't end up with the results he wanted, but I believe that is due more to his personal lack of confidence than to his lack of preparation or his waning interest in tennis.

OK that is my 2 cents!

partygirl
07-30-2006, 08:08 AM
I think that if Andy were nonchalant about tennis, or lacking the commitment, or tired of the game (as suggested), or whatever has been said, he wouldn't have had the balls to talk to Jimmy about coaching him. Maybe it really wasn't that big of a deal, but it seems to me that given his record over the past couple of years...going to a tennis great like Jimmy and asking for help, is a pretty good indicator of his self-awareness and his commitment level.

While I do think it is possible to psych yourself out and/or get yourself too worked up (possibly what we witnessed in the first round of DC), I don't think you can subconsciously cause or allow injuries such as Andy has sustained. If these were mysterious injuries or things that really couldn't be identified, then maybe we could make an assumption that he was using injury as an excuse, but I saw the clip from the match, and he went down in obvious pain. There is just no way I'll believe that he subconsciously pulled a muscle or whatever. Furthermore, if he were sabotaging himself...and didn't "care", he wouldn't have gone straight to England from RG after he retired. He new the importance of being there and being prepared. Now obviously he didn't end up with the results he wanted, but I believe that is due more to his personal lack of confidence than to his lack of preparation or his waning interest in tennis.

OK that is my 2 cents!

Well said Amber.

I just want to be clear, I'm was most certainly not saying that he is not in pain or actually injured...i was just hypothesising on how he could at the worst times hurt himself doing very routine things.

but it happens, i know.

WuMiE
07-30-2006, 07:10 PM

OK that is my 2 cents!

I think we're making an awful lot of judgments about things where it is absolutely impossible to know the truth and we never will, and I don't think it's quite fair to make such sweeping judgments and in some cases accusations when we don't know the whole story.

We will never really know how hard Andy works. All we know is what we can see, and to me this past week he looked very fit and more emotionally in his matches than he has in a while.

We will never know why he fired Brad. What we know is that his slump started under brad, so to make Brad into this savior that Andy was the bad guy to fire is missing many of the facts. We don't know why, and anything we say about it is pure speculation so it'd be unfair to make judgments based on that.

Ultimately, we have no idea what goes on with Andy on a day to day basis. We can all choose to believe what we want and we all have that right, but I think making all these sorts of statements without really knowing the facts is getting to be quite unfair to Andy. I can be hard on him with the best but I ultimately believe he's working as hard as possible to be the best he can - otherwise he wouldn't keep switching coaches and trying these different things and getting so upset. Hell, he cried when he withdrew from RG - that's not the reaction of someone who doesn't want to play and doesn't want to do well, particularly considering it was at RG, his worst Slam by leaps and bounds. If he was as nonchalant about his tennis as some are suggesting, I don't think he would have been so upset.

I don't believe he's happy with the way things have gone the past couple years and I believe that he badly wants to do better and believes he can do better but isn't quite sure how to get there. I think hiring Jimmy was a courageous and bold move; I'm excited about it and willing to give it a chance before I keep judging Andy's commitment. From my own observations, he's as fit and hard-working and committed as any of the guys on tour. I have seen no evidence to suggest that Federer lives and breathes tennis 24/7, he just happens to be insanely blessed with talent. I think it's great that Andy has his life and is grounded and has his buddies where he can unwind, everyone deserves that and I believe he is capable of balancing having a normal life with being an elite athlete. If anything, he was more unprofessional in 2003, so I fail to see any correlation between that and his results anyway. As he himself has said many times, one of the reasons this slump is so difficult for him is that he knows he is a much more professional and harder working player now.

Sorry, I just don't think we're being quite fair when we don't even have any way to know what's going on. and I don't understand why people who are supposedly his fans are willing to believe the worst about him?

/end rant.

http://i7.tinypic.com/21ep4qe.gif

Tytta!.
07-30-2006, 07:20 PM

/end rant.

That's why I love you.

Fee
07-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Well said Amber.

I just want to be clear, I'm was most certainly not saying that he is not in pain or actually injured...i was just hypothesising on how he could at the worst times hurt himself doing very routine things.

but it happens, i know.

And what you were doing was venting your frustration in a relatively safe place. Nothing wrong with that at all. I think Deb's post was directed more at other people, and I don't think you have anything to apologize for. I think many of us here are frustrated with some of the odd things that have been happening to Andy this year (I'm still trying to figure out how he's lost to Murray twice) and when we post in our 'free association' way our meaning is not always clear. That's okay. We'll work through it with you. :)

acoffeygirl
07-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Well said Amber.

but it happens, i know.
I do know that you weren't saying he wasn't in pain or injured.....my post was more in reference to comments made regarding his commitment to the game etc....

tangerine_dream
07-30-2006, 08:45 PM
People who think Roddick has no commitment to the game are clueless and really shouldn't be commentating on the state of his career. He's doing more to help himself get back to the top of his game than many other players who are currently slumping right now. As Amber has said, it took some balls for Andy to cold call Connors and ask for help and there was no guarantee that Connors would even accept. If that's not being committed to improving himself and his game, I don't know what is.

Caren
07-30-2006, 08:51 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FlashDeb again.

:worship:

partygirl
07-30-2006, 11:59 PM
And what you were doing was venting your frustration in a relatively safe place. Nothing wrong with that at all. I think Deb's post was directed more at other people, and I don't think you have anything to apologize for. I think many of us here are frustrated with some of the odd things that have been happening to Andy this year (I'm still trying to figure out how he's lost to Murray twice) and when we post in our 'free association' way our meaning is not always clear. That's okay. We'll work through it with you. :)
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy062.gif Thank you for saying that Fee.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy077.gif

Fee
07-31-2006, 01:08 AM
You're welcome.

{what on earth is that second smiley doing?}

partygirl
07-31-2006, 01:14 AM
I think (?) he is meditating in floating serenity.

Now that you mention, it does look rather odd.
I like the color though.

Deboogle!.
07-31-2006, 01:18 AM
I like the color though.You like color? I never would've guessed :p:lol:

partygirl
07-31-2006, 01:41 AM
You like color? I never would've guessed :p:lol:
I'm surprised how little the varying fonts and colors are used.
I mean they are there, so...

depends on your background too i guess, i just recently switched back to Blue and its taking some getting used to.

the_natural
07-31-2006, 04:01 AM
Great, but he got hurt hitting a passing shot.

Maybe he needs a better flexibility regime, I know hes a pro and they usually have this incorporated into their ordinary trainin regime but it wouldnt suprise me if he didnt, I mean for goodness sakes he hadnt watched himself play on Video to analyse his matches till John came along :rolleyes:

But anyway hes a big strong guy right? Sometimes big strong guys get injured because they have worked certain muscle groups but there are other connected muscle groups which are underdeveloped, by increasing the strength of one muscle group you increase its range of motion it can stretch further etc, if he used lots of force to hit that passing shot, the force generate by the bigger muscles may have been too much for the underdeveloped muscles which were also used in making the passing shot, stretching, real high intensity 1 hour (minimum) flexibility workouts help decrease muscular imbalances such as this from occuring.

the_natural
07-31-2006, 04:03 AM
People who think Roddick has no commitment to the game are clueless and really shouldn't be commentating on the state of his career. He's doing more to help himself get back to the top of his game than many other players who are currently slumping right now. As Amber has said, it took some balls for Andy to cold call Connors and ask for help and there was no guarantee that Connors would even accept. If that's not being committed to improving himself and his game, I don't know what is.

True but until Jimmy came along he wasnt doing enough in the right areas. But he is trying and because of his lack of results misguided people dont see that, he was putting in the effort but he didnt really break it down to see what he was doing, now that Jimmy is with him only Injury can stop him and hopefully that will leave him too :)

Deboogle!.
07-31-2006, 04:05 AM
I have no clue what Andy does on a daily basis but it's pretty well known that his dad would make him stretch even when he was little, so I don't think it's really flexibility is really that big of an issue for him. He is a big strong guy, but his torso and back are especially strong so I think that this muscle strain was more a just freakish movement on one particular shot that just happened and can't be attributed to anything but just one of those odd things. I mean I think we've all had that experience, you do something you do all the time but one day you just move a little funny and it hurts for a few days. It happens, unfortunately.True but until Jimmy came along he wasnt doing enough in the right areas. But he is trying and because of his lack of results misguided people dont see that, he was putting in the effort but he didnt really break it down to see what he was doing, now that Jimmy is with him only Injury can stop him and hopefully that will leave him too :)
But ever since he hired Dean, he worked incredibly hard, got so much fitter, all that stuff. Because of confidence and other things, maybe that hard work didn't turn into the results he would've liked, but he was putting in the work.

partygirl
07-31-2006, 04:34 AM
Maybe he needs a better flexibility regime.
No he's quite flexible even though he does'nt always look it.
Not just flexible in his arms, shoulders and back (obviously with that serve) but...

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95686&stc=1
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95687&stc=1
so i don't think that is the issue.

Caren
07-31-2006, 12:12 PM
True but until Jimmy came along he wasnt doing enough in the right areas.

I think peole are giving Jimmy a lot more credit than he's actually worth. Up until the week before Indy he hadn't done anything for Andy so i don't quite get what your getting by saying that. Jimmy is a legend in his own right and while i'm excited about what the partnership with Andy is going to bring i don't think i've seen enough to warrant saying that he is the reason for Andy's motivation.

blosson
07-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Andy still hasn't beaten any top 10 player. Jimmy doesn't deserve any credit until more consolidated results are shown.

partygirl
07-31-2006, 12:59 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95686&stc=1

I'm sorry i have to quote myself, that picture makes me laugh every damn time.
I dont know if it's the position or those stupid big black underwear (under white :rolleyes: fashion sabotage ) that are funnier.

I also agree that jimmy has yet still to prove himself, i mean the best player can be the worst coach, but i hope not.

When jimmy said
all the tennis knowledge he learned from his mother, he feared would end with him...
and now having someone to pass that onto is speacial.
It just makes you feel good and WANT to believe.

Fumus
07-31-2006, 06:20 PM
Yea, I think everyone pretty much knows that Andy tweaked his back and just decided "The hell with this touney!". I think injuries have sabotaged Andy in the past, I look back at last years final in Cincy, Andy is up a break in the second set against Roger and he messes up his ankle. That hurt. Last year Andy was playing a great indoor season, then he hurts his back against Ferrer and loses his next match to Ivan in the semis.

partygirl
07-31-2006, 09:08 PM
I look back at last years final in Cincy, Andy is up a break in the second set against Roger and he messes up his ankle. That hurt.
Oh i forgot about that one, it was mysterious too:aplot:
did'nt he say it was his foot?

Caren
07-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Well he had only just begun wearing those babolat shoes at Cincy, i think this is being blown out of all proportions, he's had a continuous string of bad luck, many players do, he'll get through it :)

partygirl
07-31-2006, 11:52 PM
Anyone want to explain "Bad luck" to me?:p

Deboogle!.
07-31-2006, 11:53 PM
how can you explain bad luck? It's just unfortunate. If Andy hadn't played like poo in the first set, he wouldn't have been in a third set and wouldn't have gotten hurt. Who knows?

partygirl
08-01-2006, 12:19 AM
how can you explain bad luck?
That is part of the reason i am reluctant to believe in bad or good luck in general.

Yet i believe in fate
im a contradiction I know, but it is excepted because i was born late in May.:rolls:

binkygirl
08-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Andy seemed really weird off court in LA. He had gone into the facility to tell them he couldn't play his next match and had walked through the tunnel towards the players exit. There a handful of people around and plus a small group of teen girls, just six or so. One of the noticed him and asked if he'd take a picture with her and he said yes, but looked frightened out of his mind, took a hard breath, and looked like he was about to cry.

Is that just what he's like off court or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Arodfan15
08-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Andy seemed really weird off court in LA. He had gone into the facility to tell them he couldn't play his next match and had walked through the tunnel towards the players exit. There a handful of people around and plus a small group of teen girls, just six or so. One of the noticed him and asked if he'd take a picture with her and he said yes, but looked frightened out of his mind, took a hard breath, and looked like he was about to cry.

Is that just what he's like off court or am I barking up the wrong tree?
This is my first post! And i'm going to have to say-that's pretty upsetting :sad: . Why would Andy be crying?

But about the main topic-I think that's a subject people close to Andy can only discuss. We probably don't know too much about the situation :D . Although it does make sense-the man does seem like he has a few...psychological issues :eek:

partygirl
08-11-2006, 08:04 PM
But about the main topic-I think that's a subject people close to Andy can only discuss. We probably don't know too much about the situation :D . Although it does make sense-the man does seem like he has a few...psychological issues :eek:
I just think its like being so mentally/body tense that you go to really slam a forehand (which he must do at least once a day) and causes an injury that keeps him out for more than 2 weeks and as many tournaments.:scratch:

as for L.A that is difficult... he was obviously in pain, that sort of crying (or look of or about to) can be explained plus he always looks frightened in fanpics:sobbing::eek:

binkygirl
08-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Ok..

I wish that top American players had Andre's more gregarious nature, i.e. quick to smile, etc.

superpinkone37
08-11-2006, 09:27 PM
oh.

surfpinky
08-12-2006, 01:53 AM
Ok..

I wish that top American players had Andre's more gregarious nature, i.e. quick to smile, etc.
I actually have heard that andre can sometimes be a jerk off court...

binkygirl
08-15-2006, 08:32 AM
I actually have heard that andre can sometimes be a jerk off court...

I'm sure he can be. No one's perfect. Andre seems to have the best understanding of 'public face' and 'private face'. Andy does this ugly grabbing his stuff and stomping off court after a match sometimes win or lose, same with many players, yet Andre always has the courtesy to at least throw a wave when walking off court no matter what the result. Andre has a sense of respect for others that many not just in tennis, but in all walks of life, lack and that is why he's always had the most off court endorsements of any pro tennis player. The public could sense that and responded to Andre in kind by making him super popular.

I don't know what's wrong with Andy. His emotions seemed up and down during the Oudesma match, one moment he was pumped up, others he looked scared. He doesn't have the steady confidence of a champion anymore. For the most part, he looked to be going through the motions.

He turns 24 this year and if he quit tomorrow, he'd never have to work again another day in his life and he knows this. He's built a richly guilded cage for himself; his family and handlers would never let him walk away from the game.
I remember when Mats Wilander had a brilliant 1988, won three of the four Grand Slams, and after that year, he seemed to mentally check out and never be a factor again. Could Andy be on the same path? Yes. It unfortunately looks like it.

williaer
08-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Question: It seems you really dislike Andy, so why are you here?

I don't think it's fair to say that "Andy does this ugly grabbing his stuff and stomping off court after a match sometimes win or lose". I'm sorry, but I simply do not agree. Andy is one of the few players who signs autographs after every match (with the exception of when he retires from a match injured/is injured during the game). Some players don't sign after a win let alone a loss so I think it's a credit to Andy as a person that he actually does this.

partygirl
08-15-2006, 09:06 AM
he will rise like the phoenix.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/gen133.gif
-i know, watch.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/gen044.gif

-and he does give a lot of himself, no one is perfect.
i can count more times i have seen him sign after a match than not.

partygirl
08-15-2006, 09:22 AM
His emotions seemed up and down during the Oudesma match, one moment he was pumped up, others he looked scared. For the most part, he looked to be going through the motions.

we have all seen this going through the motions dude before.
-that we have to admit.
Now The erratic way of his confidence through a match,
this uppy down description reminds me of Hewitt in AUS 05' US open 05', Baghdatis AUS 06' ...and others I'm sure, only this time he won witch says something, i think.

as for my theory here...
it would be interesting to see if he hurt himself during one of the pumped up confident moments or the scared defensive baby ones.

I think it is a valid question.:shrug:

MissFairy
08-15-2006, 10:54 AM

I don't think it's fair to say that "Andy does this ugly grabbing his stuff and stomping off court after a match sometimes win or lose". I'm sorry, but I simply do not agree. Andy is one of the few players who signs autographs after every match (with the exception of when he retires from a match injured/is injured during the game). Some players don't sign after a win let alone a loss so I think it's a credit to Andy as a person that he actually does this.
Maybe she's more of a Heya-type poster, except not so entertaining? :shrug:

From the matches i've seen of Andy, he's always curteous when leaving a court. Even if he doesn't sign autographs, he always gives a sign of recognition to the crowd (if they've been receptive to him anyway) which is good enough for me.

binkygirl
08-16-2006, 05:32 AM

I don't dislike him. Observing him in person was very interesting. I don't think he likes living in the tennis superstar bubble.

heya
08-22-2006, 03:06 AM
He almost sabotaged himself last week. HE celebrated, screamed and lost composure.
He double faulted as soon as the linesman dared to call out "foot fault"

(grow up, Mama's boy Andy). He decided to practice IN THE "easy match" and paid the price while serving for the match.
...pushed a bad backhand approach shot. He lost serve twice in the Cincy final.

He overreacted and went into his "extended excitement mode".
Just like in the Schuettler match when he lost a 3-0 lead and lost the match.
He did the same thing in Davis Cup this year, Wimbledon, 2004 US Open and French Opens.

partygirl
10-19-2006, 04:59 PM
As someone who uses & asks a lot of their body i understand wear & tear from day to day to month to month.
I also understand injury will make you susceptible to re-injury.

I just remember saying somewhere in here that if within this year Another fluke sort of smallish injury occured in another high pressure situation where he was expected to take it up a level, in a real way
(in a masters, against a top 12 player, in a freakin' tiebreak, with jimmy watching:P )
...that i would bring the topic up again:aplot::rolleyes:

I don't really feel as vehement about this recent situation as when i started the thread, but then again the whole premise here is:
"what do we know...its not our head"

If it we're an altogther different injury i'd be all but convinced but this one has merit.:):(