Tennis Channel is nothing great... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis Channel is nothing great...

Fumus
01-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Tennis Channel is nothing great...I have it and it kinda sucks. No good match coverage. You watch the same 3 shows over and over. The only good thing is some of the instructionals....

Anybody else feel the same?

:eek:

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Well, I want it. They get live coverage of a lot of great events, like a whole bunch of the spring US events coming up, plus all the overseas TMS events! and the old stuff would be nice to watch on a rainy day or somethign.

faboozadoo15
01-29-2004, 08:13 PM
have it and APPRECIATE it... we haven't had much live tennis thus far, so im glad i have it but not enthralled by it... and i loved the thing they did on federer.

Drake
01-29-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm trying to get my parents go buy a cable package addition with the Tennis Channel on it. Just to have it really. I couldn't care less if it's horrible or not. It's the Tennis channel. Gotta have it. :P

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Can I move in with you Fumus?? Because I'll bet my bottom dollar that TTC is a hell of a lot better with the tennis coverage than anything ESPN and CBS have given to us in the past ten years.....

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 08:27 PM
the problem with TTC is that they don't do the slams, so you still have to rely on the evils of ESPN and CBS, et al for that coverage.

I hear So Cal is a good place for TTC, makes me want to go to law school there even more :devil:

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 08:28 PM
I don't get it here. I "have to call my cable subscriber and ask for it". If I have to go through all that and then be told that it's not available in my area, then no thank you....

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 08:31 PM
*supposedly* the phonecalls really do help... they're supposed to pass every call/request up to the supervisors and I guess in a few markets that's been how the channel was added.

Personally I'd like to see the USTA and some of the big-name players vocally support it, I think that would help if they'd put some gusto behind the effort.

J. Corwin
01-29-2004, 10:18 PM
I don't have it but would like to have it. It's still better than no tennis.

Guess I'll have to move to So Cal now. ;)

Leo
01-29-2004, 10:36 PM
But you're going to get so much great coverage of the men's Masters Series! Plus they've promised to show the semifinals and finals of over 10 WTA tournaments this year from all over the world! I'd appreciate it!

Leena
01-29-2004, 10:39 PM
I don't want it, simply because I don't want to be addicted to TV, and get fat.

ktwtennis
01-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Dude--I wouldn't complain w/having a 24 hr. tennis channel...You're going to get more matches than most of us in the USA w/o it...Count your blessings!

andylover_16
01-30-2004, 01:19 AM
Tennis Channel is nothing great...I have it and it kinda sucks. No good match coverage. You watch the same 3 shows over and over. The only good thing is some of the instructionals....

Anybody else feel the same?

:eek:

hmm...i dont have it..but ive been wanting it for quite sometime..thanks for making me feel better about not having it though:bigwave::p

Scotso
01-30-2004, 01:42 AM
I want it :fiery:

darnyelb
01-30-2004, 02:51 AM
My thoughts on the Tennis Channel...

Since I only got it starting in December, I haven't gotten to see any live matches - just interviews with the same players. So really, I've been quite underwhelmed by TTC, though lately I've been digging the 2003 Davis Cup matches they've been showing.

I think we should give TTC more time to grow. It's relatively new, isn't it? Hope they show more of the smaller tournaments coming up - I'm tired of seeing Dent and Agassi features on whenever I come home from work.

Fumus
01-30-2004, 06:44 PM
It's just poorly done. Frankly it's down right cheesy. The music, the promo's, the 2 min tip's, it's just bad!

The Classic matches they show arenít from the slams finals. In-fact the matches they show arenít even from the slams. Who wants to watch 1987's fed cup final? They show last years WTT tennis matches and they call them classic matches. How is anything about World Team Tennis classic? Finally, the footage they show is old and fuzzy looking. They don't even keep the original commentary instead they have Luke Jensen and some other guy do it. I hate Luke Jensen!! Luke Jensen is terrible, just awful! He always looks like he wants to bite you and he's always making up his own terms. "Boris has the Golden Raquet" or "Andreís got the fire touch", and he always shouts!

The best part of the channel is their documentaries. Which they play sooo much, you will watch no string Pete Sampras like 3 times in one day. The other cool thing they do they have a show called ATP Tennis. That show gives you highlights of all the tournaments from the past week and updates you on the championship race.

TTCís match coverage from what I have seen is great. The stuff that they do cover follows every point. Like when I watched the masters or the Adidas Open, they cover every point and they do it well. The commentators they have are pretty good. TTC allows you to look at some the smaller tournaments and that gives you a chance to see a lot of the smaller stars real close up. Last year I followed Robbi Ginepri all the way to his win in the Hall of Fame Open. That was pretty cool. They also donít edit out swearing so you get to hear it all, baby!

It's not Tennis 24hrs a day, that's just not true. They have, I kid you not, pro ping pong, pro badmitton, pro paddle tennis, and pro Raquet Ball everday. Then from about 1am to 6am they have infomercials.

Aurora
01-30-2004, 07:06 PM
They also donít edit out swearing so you get to hear it all, baby!

?? they do that anywhere else? out of sports? :eek: in summaries over here they even make a compilation of "Rusedski's moments" or something ... the only channel I know for editing is MTV (our other music channels for example wouldn't do that)

(totally on the side)

Fumus
01-30-2004, 08:31 PM
?? they do that anywhere else? out of sports? :eek: in summaries over here they even make a compilation of "Rusedski's moments" or something ... the only channel I know for editing is MTV (our other music channels for example wouldn't do that)

(totally on the side)

haha Rusedski monements, I hate Rusedski... :D

Anyways yea, in the states they do. ESPN they do. Alot of times you just don't hear what the players say. On the Tennis channel you hear it all. At the smaller tournys the players aren't as well behaved either.