Basic - Long Lasting Strings? (Newbie Advice Please) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Basic - Long Lasting Strings? (Newbie Advice Please)

joeb_uk
07-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey :) I had a chat with ae woww :worship: about my situation. I dont play competitively, so I dont need top quality strings. He reccomended me synthetic gut, and I believe a tension of 55/80 (can't remember exactly, so thats why I am posting here). I dont know anything about the tensions to be honest. Anyway I am looking for a generic tension, not too tight or loose. Suggestions on the tension I should use? Not looking for a focus of power or control (but looking for a balance in-between).

As for the strings I just want ones that will last. I mean I managed to use the crappy nylon ones supplied with my racket for two years, but I knew it was on its way out and tonight the string went. So is synthetic gut the way to go?

Thanks guys. Gonna ring up a few clubs/stores tomorrow, so need to ask what they have and what they can do etc (so wanted to get some knowledge beforehand).

Dusteel
07-26-2006, 07:03 AM
mostly basic is 60 lbs

jole
07-27-2006, 03:05 AM
If you are playing competitively and want a durable string something like polyester, or a hybrid combo of polyester and standard synthetic gut is a pretty good option.

However, if you are playing very recreational and you basically literally never break strings I'd just buy Prince Synthetic Gut (with Duraflex works) 16 or 17. It's a very standard, solid, widely available, and fairly cheap string. I'd string it at around 55 or 56 lbs. if you want something in the middle and don't play competitively. Obviously lower is more power, higher is more control.

adee-gee
07-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Synthetic gut won't last that long, it's the most common string.

Polyester strings will last you the longest, but they're horrible in terms of playability.

joeb_uk
07-27-2006, 11:39 AM
If you are playing competitively and want a durable string something like polyester, or a hybrid combo of polyester and standard synthetic gut is a pretty good option.

However, if you are playing very recreational and you basically literally never break strings I'd just buy Prince Synthetic Gut (with Duraflex works) 16 or 17. It's a very standard, solid, widely available, and fairly cheap string. I'd string it at around 55 or 56 lbs. if you want something in the middle and don't play competitively. Obviously lower is more power, higher is more control.

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Is polyester quite expensive?

Anyway I managed to find a store that would restring it for me, and took my racket in. They only had a small selection of strings (but seeing as I am no longer a member of a club, I couldnt find someone like that do it). I managed to get rab texflex synthetic gut strings, and I got them to string it at 60lbs.

As for me playing, I dont really play that often. I mean I play a few times a week during the dry months, and my old nylon strings must have lasted 4 years + :haha: Hopefully these strings last a long time because I dont play alot, and I dont hit with alot of spin or power :lol:

Anyway I think it will be nice to maybe play with those synthetic gut strings even if they arent great ones (all I could get), I had a look and it says pernfors used them :lol:

jole
07-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Polyester isn't very expensive. Often the playability isn't as good as other types of strings and it can be hard on the arm of some, but it's durable as hell.

joeb_uk
07-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Polyester isn't very expensive. Often the playability isn't as good as other types of strings and it can be hard on the arm of some, but it's durable as hell.

Ok thanks jole :) Will give these synth gut strings a go, and then if it doesn't last long guess I will give polyester a go! Hopefully it doesn't come to that :)

Jon45189
07-28-2006, 07:06 AM
I break natural gut strings in usually 2-3 months.

I'm using a hybrid (Babolat Hurricane + Babolat VS natural gut) now, and it's holding up great going into the fourth month.