Ferrero's progression endangers box office [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ferrero's progression endangers box office

Chloe le Bopper
01-28-2004, 11:56 PM
This is quite amusing if you don't take it too seriously....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2004/01/29/stmj29.xml&sSheet=/sport/2004/01/29/ixtenn.html

Ferrero's progression endangers box office
By Martin Johnson
(Filed: 29/01/2004)

The Australian Open has a long tradition of ending up with a men's finalist who doesn't so much make you want to mortgage the house for a Centre Court ticket, as prompt you to draw the curtains if he was playing on your back lawn.

The last three finals have featured Arnaud Clement, Thomas Johansson, and Rainer Schuettler, and far from requiring a beard and dark glasses to avoid being recognised in a Melbourne restaurant, they're more likely to have been mistaken for the waiter.

And this year, the ticket touts are starting to develop another nervous tic ahead of tomorrow's second semi-final. Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain may be the No 3 seed here, but he is instant death at the box office, and one reason he's crept through more or less un-noticed is that the order of play committee have done everything to keep him away from Centre Court.

They'd have had a marginal preference for Hicham Arazi of Morocco in yesterday's quarter-final, even though, in terms of crowd support, Ferrero looked to have put more bums on seats. Well, one to be precise. From our vantage point in the press box, we counted two Spanish flags (minature variety) compared to a swarthy-looking bloke, seated just behind the players' guest box, wearing a Fez.

Ferrero has a glamorous enough name, but while he might sound like a Formula One racing car, his game is more - how can we put it? - Ford Mondeo. The last Spaniard who could remotely be called exciting was Manuel Santana, who won Wimbledon in 1966, but he was a bit of a freak. On the clay courts of Spain, most players approach the net as though it has 10,000 volts running through it.

Ferrero ran away with the opening set against a fellow baseliner, but any suggestion that this was a matadorial performance had to be set against the fact he was flashing his cape against nothing more dangerous than a Jersey Friesian. However, while Arazi did eventually get going, the Moroccan could not convert enough of his opportunities to keep alive his chances of becoming the worst dressed player ever to win a Grand Slam.

Arazi's T-shirt could have come straight from the Army and Navy Stores, although at least it wasn't a vest. The sleeveless look is becoming more and more vogue amongst the men, some of whom are apparently booking themselves into the tournament's complimentary hair and beauty salon to have their armpits waxed. The salon's therapists also report that one or two have asked for their eyelashes to be coloured, although it would be a surprise if Ferrero would ever volunteer to draw attention to himself by having his lashes dyed in the red and yellow of his national flag. When he left the court yesterday, he managed to sign several dozen autographs in approximately one and a half seconds, which is quite an achievement for someone with a name like Juan Carlos Ferrero. Even his signature - if that's how you can describe a cursory slash with a felt tip - is unrecognisable.

However, if students of Australian Open history fear that Ferrero's advance to the final is more or less inevitable, the fact that the outrageously talented Roger Federer now stands in his way provides a glimmer of hope that he's gone as far as he's going to. Federer's beaten opponent last night was a reminder that Wimbledon has also had its share of barely recognisable finalists, although David Nalbandian has moved a long way up in both the tennis and the glamour rankings since losing to Lleyton Hewitt in 2002.

Federer versus Nalbandian was billed as clash of styles, whereas in fact it was much more a clash of hairstyles. Federer's bun clearly conceils a mane of old English sheepdog proportions when he unclips it in the shower, whereas Nalbandian favours the swept back David Beckham style, complete with the miniature pony tail.

There was no sign of a coloured eyelash on either Federer or Nalbandian, but had it not been for the power, athleticism, and high standard of tennis, you might almost have mistaken it for a ladies singles. Come to think of it, with all these male tennis players booking into hair and beauty salons for waxes, facials and manicures, these days it's just about the only way you can tell.

MisterQ
01-28-2004, 11:59 PM
:yeah:

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Mister Q, why is it that you "hate" Ferrero anyways? Aside from this thread, you've done a few things that indicate he gets under your skin... your sudden love of Arazi, for example.

Is it because he's "boring" and whines a lot?

I can see why people find it boring. And he does whine too much.

But anybody who likes Andre's game but considers Ferrero's "boring", doesn't make any sense ;)

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 12:03 AM
I must say Becca, after all your largely justified complaints about the ignoring of Ferrero I'm impressed that you weren't annoyed at this - I mean he may be understated, but he ain't no Thomas Johansson, is he? Still, I suppose it was written with a decidedly humorous bent, even though I could do without someone else jinxing Federer by suggesting he's just going to roll through the semi. I'm not taking anything for granted until the match is over.

Leo
01-29-2004, 12:04 AM
Good writer. 'Twas funny. :lol:

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:06 AM
I must say Becca, after all your largely justified complaints about the ignoring of Ferrero I'm impressed that you weren't annoyed at this - I mean he may be understated, but he ain't no Thomas Johansson, is he? Still, I suppose it was written with a decidedly humorous bent, even though I could do without someone else jinxing Federer by suggesting he's just going to roll through the semi. I'm not taking anything for granted until the match is over.
I found it rather amusing because it was so over the top... throwing him in with TJ and Clement? Hee!

And really, how could I get upset at an article that has this line:

Federer versus Nalbandian was billed as clash of styles, whereas in fact it was much more a clash of hairstyles.

MisterQ
01-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Mister Q, why is it that you "hate" Ferrero anyways? Aside from this thread, you've done a few things that indicate he gets under your skin... your sudden love of Arazi, for example.

Is it because he's "boring" and whines a lot?

I can see why people find it boring. And he does whine too much.

But anybody who likes Andre's game but considers Ferrero's "boring", doesn't make any sense ;)

I don't know why, Rebecca. I do find him boring. I don't actually "hate" him -- he seems like a very decent and admirable fellow --- but I always find myself cheering for the other guy!

It must be a personality issue.

I have also considered the issue about Ferrero and Agassi. Can't explain that one. One thrills me and the other doesn't, even though they are superficially quite similar.

Regarding Arazi, I have always enjoyed his game, but it's true, that love sure did blossom yesterday. :lol:

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:10 AM
I don't know why, Rebecca. I do find him boring. I don't actually "hate" him -- he seems like a very decent and admirable fellow --- but I always find myself cheering for the other guy!

It must be a personality issue.

I have also considered the issue about Ferrero and Agassi. Can't explain that one. One thrills me and the other doesn't, even though they are superficially quite similar.

Regarding Arazi, I have always enjoyed his game, but it's true, that love sure did blossom yesterday. :lol:
Oh, I understand. Sort of like how I can bring myself to root for Dent, but bitch and bitch about Roddick's game.. which has more dimensions than Dent's does ;)

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 12:10 AM
Good job it was a jokey article, because if it had been a serious one and still produced incredibly hackneyed and moronic statement like "On the clay courts of Spain, most players approach the net as though it has 10, 000 volts running through it", then men's tennis would be in trouble due to its media coverage again. This though, is the "puckish" Aussie sense of humour at work (that's what McEnroe said in his autobiography about Pat Cash after having lost to him).

the cat
01-29-2004, 12:11 AM
That article is being unfair to Ferrero. :( The laconic Swedes have been successful and popular at the Australian Open for 2 decades. Why can't Ferrero and the Spanish men be accepted like the Swedes were? Ferrero is a pure tennis player and athlete who thrives on his great consistency and conditioning to make him a tremendous tennis player. :)

TennisLurker
01-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Or Sjengster who likes Krajicek and dislikes Roddick.

;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Good job it was a jokey article, because if it had been a serious one and still produced incredibly hackneyed and moronic statement like "On the clay courts of Spain, most players approach the net as though it has 10, 000 volts running through it", then men's tennis would be in trouble due to its media coverage again. This though, is the "puckish" Aussie sense of humour at work (that's what McEnroe said in his autobiography about Pat Cash after having lost to him).
I found the comment about how there were no exciting Spanish players sort of funny too ;)

About the net thing... yes, it's a good thing the article was a joke ;) Does anybody remember how Nadal came into net more than Ancic in their Wimbledon match? ;)

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Yes, I should probably edit that signature now that he's retired... still, I will always be eternally grateful to him for providing a small moment of light amid the enormity of darkness that was Sampras' domination of Wimbledon. Besides, call me hypocritical if you will, but big servers who follow their serves to the net are far more interesting than those who whack aces and hammer away from the baseline, Krajicek had great touch at the net as well as a terrific serve.

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 12:17 AM
I found the comment about how there were no exciting Spanish players sort of funny too ;)

About the net thing... yes, it's a good thing the article was a joke ;) Does anybody remember how Nadal came into net more than Ancic in their Wimbledon match? ;)

Seriously? I'm sure he can play at net, but if Ancic on grass is coming in less than his opponent... well, no wonder he lost so comfortably. Him staying back could have something to do with the quality of Nadal's returns of course. Pity Somerset's Lee Childs choked away the third set and the match miserably against him...

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Seriously? I'm sure he can play at net, but if Ancic on grass is coming in less than his opponent... well, no wonder he lost so comfortably. Him staying back could have something to do with the quality of Nadal's returns of course. Pity Somerset's Lee Childs choked away the third set and the match miserably against him...
Ah, yes. It's a shame that the overwhelming favourite in the second round didnt' manage to seal the deal ;)

To be honest, I'm not sure if I was being serious. My memory tells me that he came in as much if not more than Ancic... but this was a year ago, so if somebody brings up stats that are completely the opposite, I will not be surprised ;)

TennisLurker
01-29-2004, 12:21 AM
Watching Krajicek was a no rythm nightmare, owning Sampras was his only redeeming quality.

Anyway, I am being a little hypocritical too, his ability to beat Sampras is one of the main reasons Wayne Ferreira is in my signature.

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 12:23 AM
Well, I thought he was a sort of favourite - in the immortal poorly phrased words of the man himself, "I feel I'm a lot more comfortable on grass than what he is." As it turned out, it was general class that won out rather than surface advantage, but then I suppose Childs was lucky to scrape past Davydenko in the first round anyway...

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 12:26 AM
Watching Krajicek was a no rythm nightmare, owning Sampras was his only redeeming quality.

Anyway, I am being a little hypocritical too, his ability to beat Sampras is one of the main reasons Wayne Ferreira is in my signature.

Well to be honest, I only put him in my signature last year because I knew that he was on the verge of retirement, I only saw him play regularly from about Wimbledon 2002 onwards. :o

The thing is, players without rhythm can sometimes be entertaining - in a Federer sort of way in terms of variety, not in a Gonzalez slam this winner, frame this ball sort of way. After all, when it comes to rhythmic players there is Gaudio rhythm, and then there is Massu rhythm...

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:28 AM
Well, I thought he was a sort of favourite - in the immortal poorly phrased words of the man himself, "I feel I'm a lot more comfortable on grass than what he is." As it turned out, it was general class that won out rather than surface advantage, but then I suppose Childs was lucky to scrape past Davydenko in the first round anyway...
I suppose he had the surface and the crowd... but even given what little I knew about Lee "the legend" Childs, just by virtue of seeing Brit (WC) next to this name, I'd have been quite upset to see Nadal lose that match ;)

It's Nadal's biggest dream to win Wimbledon, you know ;)

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 12:30 AM
I suppose he had the surface and the crowd... but even given what little I knew about Lee "the legend" Childs, just by virtue of seeing Brit (WC) next to this name, I'd have been quite upset to see Nadal lose that match ;)

It's Nadal's biggest dream to win Wimbledon, you know ;)

Too true. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:34 AM
All jokes aside, it really is his biggest dream to win Wimbledon :o

Sjengster
01-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Interesting, it would continue in the long-haired, bandanned tradition set by Federer last year if he did, although Nadal does beat him for sheer width of bandanna. I'd rather see Lopez get there first, although he might have to develop something resembling a consistent backhand if he wants to do it.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Interesting, it would continue in the long-haired, bandanned tradition set by Federer last year if he did, although Nadal does beat him for sheer width of bandanna. I'd rather see Lopez get there first, although he might have to develop something resembling a consistent backhand if he wants to do it.
Lopez is too inconsistent in general ... he's too concerned with looking pretty ;)

If I understood Nadal correctly, he likes Roland Garros the most, but since Wimbledon is the one that he's not "supposed to" win, that's the one he wants.

Leo
01-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Oh, silly Beccs:

Nadal, Ancic
Net Approaches 14 of 19 = 74 %, 35 of 67 = 52 %

Maybe you got mixed up because Nadal was more successful when he did come in to net, although he came in significantly fewer times than Ancic.

You could say that this makes me a dork for wasting 5 minutes of my life looking up tennis statistics from a year ago, but that would be incorrect. Ummm, yeah.

Leo
01-29-2004, 12:46 AM

Unfair. Krajicek was a beautiful net player and one of the most exciting serve-and-volleyers I've watched. He was so agile up at net and was nearly impossible to pass or lob.

No comparison to Roddick, I might add.

TennisLurker
01-29-2004, 12:52 AM
Maybe it is me, I dont like it when everything is over so fast.
+ When they serve so big, you dont really get to see them volley much.

Leo
01-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Maybe it is me, I dont like it when everything is over so fast.
+ When they serve so big, you dont really get to see them volley much.

Yeah, that's true. It was much more exciting when Krajicek would play someone who could actually return his serve in play and Richard would have to hit some volleys.

I generally prefer baseliners without dominating serves, like you, but Krajicek, along with Mirnyi, Rafter, and Edberg, is one of those exceptions.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 01:15 AM
Oh, silly Beccs:

Nadal, Ancic
Net Approaches 14 of 19 = 74 %, 35 of 67 = 52 %

Maybe you got mixed up because Nadal was more successful when he did come in to net, although he came in significantly fewer times than Ancic.

You could say that this makes me a dork for wasting 5 minutes of my life looking up tennis statistics from a year ago, but that would be incorrect. Ummm, yeah.
I told you that it might have been an exaggeration ;) Thanks for the clarification ;)

Leo
01-29-2004, 01:16 AM
I told you that it might have been an exaggeration ;) Thanks for the clarification ;)

Always a pleasure ;)

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 01:41 AM
Well, all I'll say is that whoever wouldn't want to go see Juan Carlos in a match doesn't know what they're missing ;):lick:

SaFed2005
01-29-2004, 01:47 AM
OMG! WOW!!! That was an awesome artice... Funny as hell... Funniest thing I've read in a while!!!

SIMPLY AWESOME ARTICLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBoiledEgg
01-29-2004, 01:56 AM
Martin Johnson has done one every day and he's one of the "Comedic" variety.

Should see his other pieces from Aus Open too.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?menuId=1087&menuItemId=6848&view=COLUMNIST&grid=C2

Still it was pretty funny :lol:

tangerine_dream
01-29-2004, 02:10 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think Ferrero is a far cry from the beigeness of Johansson. I'm surprised he doesn't have more fans rooting for him at AO. :confused:

But that paragraph about the hairstyle battle between Fed and Nalby was a riot! Watching the match, I noticed that the stadium was packed as if a final were being played. Whether it's because tennis has a new influx of fancy metrosexuals or what doesn't matter to me, so long as the players can get butts in the seats. :yeah:

Scotso
01-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Vamos!

propi
01-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Funny this article is from a British newspaper..... the same who have had so many GS champions in last years and whose players are pleasure to be seen :p

Good or bad box Ferrero has nothing to proove already he was supposed to win RG one day, he did, he won DC, took a Wim finalist and ancient champion to 5 sets on grass and reached finals in USO and YEC... :wavey:

Dr. Laborious
01-29-2004, 12:42 PM
What a ridiculous article, sure it's meant to be funny, but the disrespect shown to Ferrero and also Johansson(he beat SAFIN.... SAFIN!!!!! give him some credit for gods sake) is simply unbelievable. If the same kind of article was posted about Federer, you would all be jumping off seats in anger... aaargh

more disrespect shown at espn:

MELBOURNE, Australia -- No. 2 seed Roger Federer is performing as well as he ever has. If Federer can continue, it's hard to think anyone, even in fifth gear, will be able to beat him.

In his four-set quarterfinals win over David Nalbandian, it was surprising how successful Federer was despite staying on the baseline. That bodes well for a player like Federer, who is equally competent coming in to serve and volley.

In Friday's match (ESPN, 2 p.m. ET), we'll see No. 3 seed Juan Carlos Ferrero predominantly playing from the baseline, which, though he does it very well, is all he can do.

Federer has the option of playing from the baseline, as he did in the quarterfinals, or being aggressive and ending points quickly with his transition game. Sometimes Federer has so many options on the court that he seems ambivalent about which to employ. That is where his not having a coach could be detrimental, though it has not been a problem so far.

If this semifinal were played on the red clay of Roland Garros, Ferrero would have to be the pick. It's not, though. Ferrero can play on faster surfaces, and he has proved he is someone to be reckoned with at the Australian and U.S. Opens. Pretty soon, he'll prove it at Wimbledon, too. But because of the speed and surface of Rebound Ace, Federer would have to be off his game to lose this match. This is just not Ferrero's time to win the Australian Open.

All hail Federer, king of the world! :bigclap:

katrientje
01-29-2004, 02:58 PM
It's obvious a guy wrote this article
We girls know what's so special about Juanqui ;) I know I would pay a lot of money for seeing him in the final!
I find his tennis very spectacular to watch on top of his good looks.

Ma. Estefania
01-29-2004, 03:12 PM
What a joke....pure crap. :rolleyes:

Raquel
01-29-2004, 05:26 PM
For a comedic article I did not find it so funny either. I know it was written tongue in cheek, but it is pretty unfair to Juan Carlos. I am a big fan of both Roger and Juan Carlos and rather than seeing Roger as the 'glimmer of hope' who might save us from a final containing Juan Carlos, I am looking forward to a great match.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 07:26 PM
If the same kind of article was posted about Federer, you would all be jumping off seats in anger... aaargh

Yes, because we know what a Federer apologist I am :rolleyes:

Don't generalize. Thanks.

TheBoiledEgg
01-29-2004, 07:36 PM
dont take this seriously guys, its meant to be light-hearted :)

this was his piece from Jan 28

Old hands still carry some weight
The unseasonably mild weather in Melbourne has meant less work than usual for the St John Ambulance people, but they were very nearly called across to Court 6 the other day when Fred Stolle attempted to retrieve an overhead lob. Fred is not only 65, but about twice that number in kilos. Quite apart from whether he'd survive a wheezing journey to the baseline, it was touch and go whether his braking distance allowed him room to stop short of splatting a line judge against the backstop.

Just as pensioners are now senior citizens, they don't call them veterans any more, and Fred was competing - after a fashion - in what's known as the Legends event. In a sport where the scrapheap beckons when you no longer need a teat on your changeover drinks bottle, it's remarkable that the fossils are playing at all, but decent crowds still turn up to watch them propel balls over the net with all the velocity of a wounded butterfly.

The main attraction on Court 2 yesterday was a Legends' mixed doubles involving Ken Rosewall, who took some time to catch his breath as he slumped back into his chair. Not entirely surprising for someone who'll be 70 in November, but this was after the knock-up. And why is someone the same size as Justin Henin-Hardenne known as 'Muscles'? One can only presume it's on the same principle of someone with no hair getting nicknamed 'Curly'.

You could tell this was a match played between people of a bygone era, as the men wore all-white, had their caps on the right way round, never questioned a line call, hit one-handed backhands and were happy to serve with the first ball thrown to them rather than going through the Arthur-Negus-examining-a-Ming-vase routine.

This was Sunday morning at the local tennis club and, while it would be nice to say that Rosewall rolled back the years, his legs were telling him that they were only just up to mowing the lawn. "Ace him, Muscles!" someone shouted as Rosewall shaped to serve to the 52-year-old John Alexander, whereupon Muscles dunked one into the net at a speed that would not have got him a ticket for driving in a built-up area.

It was actually a bit unfair on Rosewall and Helen Gourlay - who went down 6-0, 6-3 to Alexander and Nicole Bradtke (formerly Provis) - in that their combined ages of 126 compared with the opposition's 87. The fact that Bradtke, barely out of pigtails and braces at the age of 35, was pregnant, must have had some kind of levelling effect, but not much.

Rosewall's most vicious serve was recorded at 117kph (73mph) on the speed machine, which, compared with Andy Roddick's record (with Greg Rusedski) of 239.7kph - and even Venus Williams's 205 - put him firmly in the Franoise Durr category. Which was a bit of a contrast to the showpiece match of the day on Centre Court between Roddick and Marat Safin.

Roddick was obviously not properly warmed up when his first blow of the match flashed up at 206kph (129mph), while Safin managed only 205 with his first effort. However, Roddick was soon cranking up to 212, and Safin had cause to be grateful when the Roddick ace that hurtled into his stomach was timed at only 199. They didn't so much need a racket as a blindfold and a last cigarette.

Whatever the rackets are made of these days, only the strongest players can smash them into pieces when they get a strop on, which perhaps explains why Safin, who used to get through several in the course of a single set, now rarely bothers trying. The personality change was terminal for Roddick and, while the American won 1-0 on trashed rackets, it was the Russian who prevailed in a thumping five-setter.

Roddick also got more heated over the dodgy calls, and there was one nice exchange with the English umpire, Gerry Armstrong, late in the game. "It was too close to overrule," said Armstrong, whereupon Roddick replied: "Close? Of course it was close. Thank you, Captain Obvious. Thanks very much." It was the kind of humorous exchange you'd expect in a Legends match - though with John McEnroe through to the doubles final, we're not entirely safe yet from the prospect of a grey, middled-aged man in shorts behaving like a three-year-old.

lalaland
01-29-2004, 09:11 PM
When one writes an article to make fun of a player, that's disrespect in itself, I don't care how light-hearted he meant to be. Juan Carlos is a classy guy, he doesn't deserve this.

And ESPN, what can I say. Didn't they all say there's no way in hell JCF could beat Agassi in Ashe Stadium during USO? Whatever! JCF has the same kind of game as Agassi. If it's Agassi against Federer, would they say that baseliner has no chance ? :rolleyes:. JCF had beaten Fed not too long ago on hard court. But that match wasn't on ESPN's radar since they don't show any European TMS matches anymore. If nothing, at least don't imply JCF has no chance against Federer.

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 09:18 PM
When one writes an article to make fun of a player, that's disrespect in itself, I don't care how light-hearted he meant to be. Juan Carlos is a classy guy, he doesn't deserve this.

And ESPN, what can I say. Didn't they all say there's no way in hell JCF could beat Agassi in Ashe Stadium during USO? Whatever! JCF has the same kind of game as Agassi. If it's Agassi against Federer, would they say that baseliner has no chance ? :rolleyes:. JCF had beaten Fed not too long ago on hard court. But that match wasn't on ESPN's radar since they don't show any European TMS matches anymore. If nothing, at least don't imply JCF has no chance against Federer.
Why not...everybody else and their Grandma are implying that Ferrero will be lucky to so much as win a game. Nevermind that his record at both hardcourt slams is superior to his opponents.