Nalbandian Signs With Yonex [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nalbandian Signs With Yonex

ktwtennis
01-28-2004, 11:17 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=10346&bannerregion=

Nalbandian Signs With Yonex

Photo By Fred Mullane By Ronald Green
01/28/2004

David Nalbandian arrived in Australia with a new hairstyle to accompany his new face. Nalbandian's racquet now face bears the Yonex stencil. The eighth-ranked Argentine has signed a multi-year racquet, shoe and apparel endorsement deal with Yonex.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. Nalbandian formerly played with Prince racquets and wore Sergio Tacchini clothes.

According to a published report in the SportsBusiness Journal written by Liz Mullen the contract calls for Nalbandian to receive a guaranteed mid to high six-figure annual income from Yonex, with incentives potentially paying him much more. Should Nalbandian reach No. 1, he would earn nearly $4 million annually, which would be among the most lucrative endorsement deals in tennis.

The 2002 Wimbledon runner-up, reached the semifinals of the 2003 U.S. Open and fell to Roger Federer in the Australian Open quarterfinals today.

tangerine_dream
01-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Serious question: do you guys think Nalbandian's play has improved any since switching rackets?

WyverN
01-28-2004, 11:23 PM
i actually think he played better at the US open

TennisLurker
01-28-2004, 11:26 PM
I agree Wyvern.

Leo
01-29-2004, 01:25 AM
He did play better at the Open, although I have no clue whether or not that has to do with the racquet or not.

On ESPN, PMac stated that this new Yonex racquet helps David get more pace on his groundies, but I thought he had enough pace with his old racquet. And it's not like hitting the ball hard is the key to everything ... this isn't women's tennis, after all.

WyverN
01-29-2004, 01:41 AM
He did play better at the Open, although I have no clue whether or not that has to do with the racquet or not.

You certainly didn't give any indication of that thought before he lost to Federer
Didn't you say david was in the best form of anyone in the tournament in the other thread and he had "arrived"?

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Does Yonex have a "no-haircut" clause in their contract or something?

SaFed2005
01-29-2004, 01:50 AM
I think he played much better at the US Open too!!! He should've won that match against roddick... He would have probably won his first GS if he won that match!!!

WyverN
01-29-2004, 01:53 AM
Does Yonex have a "no-haircut" clause in their contract or something?

LOL.
Its a 5 year deal so things might get scary

Deboogle!.
01-29-2004, 01:56 AM
LOL.
Its a 5 year deal so things might get scary

oh noooooooo :scared:

Chloe le Bopper
01-29-2004, 02:09 AM
He's still allowed to wax his chest, though.

*Ljubica*
01-29-2004, 05:18 AM
Serious question: do you guys think Nalbandian's play has improved any since switching rackets?l

I certainly don't agree that he is playing worse than he did at the US Open. The only thing that has changed I think, is that he is sometimes a little more tentative on some shots now because of the injury problems he has had. I guess that is the same with any player just back from serious injury, so it will take him a while to get back the old confidence and not play with half his mind worrying about a reoccurrence of the injury.

CooCooCachoo
01-29-2004, 01:56 PM
A lot of good players (in my opinion) play with Yonex. Rios is the oddball, but usually my favourite players play in Yonex or Sergio Tacchini or both ;)

sigmagirl91
01-29-2004, 02:00 PM
It's really too early to tell.

i love paradorn
01-29-2004, 08:55 PM
I drum

faboozadoo15
01-29-2004, 09:00 PM
damn, he switched to yonex... now i'll have to like him ;) lleyton doesn't count! :haha:

i don't understand the hair thing... most of their players have short hair-- hewitt, paradorn, ancic, and krajicek all have short hair... perhaps you are thinking of rios?

tennischick
01-29-2004, 09:07 PM
i love Davide's game just fine. i just think that other players figured out how to answer some of his shots.